PDA

View Full Version : JJ Redick's option for next year picked up by the magic

ForeverBlowingBubbles
10-07-2008, 06:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3631127

BlueintheFace
10-07-2008, 06:32 PM
Crap. Sorry JJ. Keep working. Hopefully after your contract is up you can find a team with an actual need for your services.

SilkyJ
10-07-2008, 06:41 PM
must be Otis' response to DBR's calling him out on the front page.

"What you don't like what I'm doing? FINE. I'll keep him on the bench for ANOTHER year, just to piss you off, DBR"

If only DBR weren't so important...wait then I would have a life. :eek:

scratch that.

Oriole Way
10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
How the Magic have handled J.J. is idiotic, and to pick up his option is mind-boggling considering they never play him.

What a joke.

chrisheery
10-07-2008, 08:31 PM
Crap. Sorry JJ. Keep working. Hopefully after your contract is up you can find a team with an actual need for your services.

That Otis Smith promised to pick up this option almost a year ago, as soon as it was available to pick up. I have to say, there are worse things than making $2.1 million dollars a year to be a professional athlete. However, JJ deserves a shot to show what he can do. On the other hand, he is still young. There are plenty of players who don't get off to a fast start in their NBA careers and then get that one chance and do great. I hope that happens for JJ this year. It seems like he is just one injury away from that. Its clear that a great preseason won't do it. He did that last year and it got him nothing.

ForeverBlowingBubbles
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
If they are looking to trade him, couldn't it be possible that he is more attractive as a trade piece if the team that gets him knows he isn't going to bolt to free agency after half a season (assuming he got traded mid season)?

Or would it make him less attractive?

chrisheery
10-07-2008, 08:35 PM
If they are looking to trade him, couldn't it be possible that he is more attractive as a trade piece if the team that gets him knows he isn't going to bolt to free agency after half a season (assuming he got traded mid season)?

Or would it make him less attractive?

That with his contract, in the NBA, any team that wants him would be happy to pay $2.1 million for the service he provides. That service being unquestioned long range accuracy with a ridiculously (rediculously) quick release. For all the crap about his defense, he is a much better team defender than many players in the NBA. Yeah, he is a match-up problem against big SGs or small fast SGs, but in the NBA, anyone can score on anyone in a one on one scenario. No reason he can't play just because of that.

CameronBornAndBred
10-07-2008, 08:38 PM
Best of luck JJ, get out of jail soon.

dukemomLA
10-08-2008, 12:02 AM
I agree with CameronBornandBred. If I had a Get Out Of Jail Free Card, I'd gladly hand it to JJ to get out of Miami.

JJ, if you read this site (which I suspect you do), just keep working, getting stronger and learning. You have an exceptional future in the NBA, and let's all keep our fingers crossed that the Heat will trade you soon. Ridiculous franchise. They should be ashamed of themselves (...and not just on the JJ front).

phaedrus
10-08-2008, 12:06 AM
I agree with CameronBornandBred. If I had a Get Out Of Jail Free Card, I'd gladly hand it to JJ to get out of Miami.

JJ, if you read this site (which I suspect you do), just keep working, getting stronger and learning. You have an exceptional future in the NBA, and let's all keep our fingers crossed that the Heat will trade you soon. Ridiculous franchise. They should be ashamed of themselves (...and not just on the JJ front).

Pat Riley strikes me as a bit of a megalomaniac, but I doubt he makes the decisions for the Orlando Magic.

CameronBornAndBred
10-08-2008, 12:12 AM
Pat Riley strikes me as a bit of a megalomaniac, but I doubt he makes the decisions for the Orlando Magic.

With all love and due respect to DukemomLA...that's the funniest thing I've read all week. G'nite all.

heyman25
10-08-2008, 01:13 AM
Stan Van Gundy gives him fake praise.Hopefully JJ will get traded soon. The money is good the respect from the Magic zero.

gep
10-08-2008, 02:57 AM
How the Magic have handled J.J. is idiotic, and to pick up his option is mind-boggling considering they never play him.

What a joke.

I thought the same thing... a "real" business wouldn't handle a commodity like JJ as they have. But, as I believe and often pass on to whoever listens:rolleyes:... things "happen" for a reason. JJ got himself focused on basketball, built himself up, worked on his game... when he does get his chance, he will flourish. If he didn't go through this experience, who knows... maybe he just lives on his "past glories". I like to think of this as a parrellel to Mike Dunleavy... who I hope gets the chance to flourish in the Pacers organization (I guess it helps that I'm a BIG Larry Bird fan). Just gotta wait your turn, and find the right fit.

grossbus
10-08-2008, 11:14 AM
he must feel like he is caught in the bball equivalent of ground hog day.

mgtr
10-08-2008, 12:42 PM
he must feel like he is caught in the bball equivalent of ground hog day.

Excellent analogy!

RelativeWays
10-08-2008, 09:18 PM
He's having a good game against Bob's cats. I saw him drop 9 in about 5 minutes in the 1st quarter and hit a running floater to end the 3rd so he's got double figures.