PDA

View Full Version : ACC Handbook

Son of Mojo
10-07-2008, 06:17 PM
Just saw & bought this years handbook; picked it up every year since '90 so it's a habit. Does anyone know if they do multiple covers anymore? The last few years I have only seen one offered where they used to have at least 2 to 3 different covers. I'm so sick of seeing hanstravelwalksbroughwoodybeaker on the front......but it is fun to doctor the image a little.

msdukie
10-07-2008, 06:35 PM
No multiple covers anymore, unfortunately.

markbdevil
10-08-2008, 09:35 AM
I too have been purchasing the ACC Handbook for a long time, I have issues dated back to the late '70s. And Street & Smith's magazines from 1976. Does anyone know if these old issues are worth anything?

Frybay
10-08-2008, 02:37 PM
Too bad! I have fond memories of driving to other states
to get a copy that didn't have a Chapel Hell college player
on the cover. The ACC Handbook was the best thing going
back then!

cspan37421
10-08-2008, 03:05 PM
I miss Barry Jacobs' Fans' Guide to ACC Basketball.

That thing was the best.

6th Man
10-08-2008, 04:01 PM
I also purchase it every year and I have one beef with this year's issue. Gerald Henderson is not on any of the 3 all acc teams. Singler made second and Paulus made third. Are you kidding me? I guarantee you there are not 15 better players than Gerald Henderson in the ACC. If he plays like I hope he will, I don't think there are 15 better in the country.

And it doesn't even seem positional. There are like 4 guards and Hansburger on the first team.

WiJoe
10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
I miss Barry Jacobs' Fans' Guide to ACC Basketball.

That thing was the best.

Totally agree. Barry's was easily the BEST magazine of its kind. Only blue ribbon better, but that's apples and oranges.

cspan37421
10-08-2008, 08:33 PM
I regret not keeping my old copies. I figured I'd always be able to get the current year issue. I realized distribution wasn't always easy - sometimes I had to rely on a trip to NC to find one. Eventually I couldn't even find one in the Triangle - it never dawned on me that he'd hang it up. I think it took an email directly to him to confirm it.

Now it's hard to explain to my son how useful his stats were - both the player ratings and those wonderful quirky stats (like home records on valentine's day, or most offensive fouls per minute played... er make that fewest minutes per offensive foul). I'll settle for the ACC Basketball Handbook, but jeez, did they have to put Hands-bro on there two years running? I should have gotten a discount for that. Maybe I'll put a new cover on it.

jimsumner
10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
"And it doesn't even seem positional. There are like 4 guards and Hansburger on the first team."

FWIW, the ACC hasn't had positional All-ACC teams since the 1970s.

duketaylor
10-09-2008, 01:22 AM
any publication that doesn't have Gerald making the top 3 teams in the ACC is absurd. He's likely a first-teamer with Kyle, but could end up a 2nd-teamer at the worst, IMO. Someone's not done enough homework.
My publication of preference is BRY, all 400+ pages, I need to order it tomorrow. Glad we're finally getting close to practice and it's cooling down outside. Now we need about 3-4 more conference football wins to truly make this an excellent fall. Let's GO DEVILS!!

gep
10-09-2008, 01:43 AM
There are like 4 guards and Hansburger on the first team.

Funny... I liked Hansblo... Hansblah... but Hansburger is new and unique... I like it:D