PDA

View Full Version : Duke's closing PG come March?

Jeffrey
10-06-2008, 06:04 PM
Hi,

Who do you think will be Duke's PG in the final 5 minutes of close games come March? I realize Greg is a captain and senior, but I think Nolan will log more PT during the final 5 minutes of close games come March. I think Nolan's significantly better defensive skills will dictate this change, since we'll have plenty of scoring from the 2-5 spots.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

dkbaseball
10-06-2008, 06:18 PM
That sounds good in theory, but when it gets down to crunch time Greg is one of the guys who will step up and make a shot. Our scoring, especially in tight situations and in the half court offense, is not a given. Particularly at the 5, where I would expect Zoubek or Czyz to be able to contribute some points, but it's definitely not money in the bank. When things get wild out there some guys step up and some don't, regardless of their on-paper ability. Greg is a competitor, somebody who has been tested under fire and shown he can step up, and I would expect to see him playing at the end of close games.

Oriole Way
10-06-2008, 06:28 PM
Aside from the fact Paulus has consistently made big plays for us down the stretch in close games, he also deserves to be on the floor because he is one of our best free throw shooters.

mgtr
10-06-2008, 06:43 PM
This is just an old argument wrapped up in shiny new paper. Paulus, Paulus, Paulus.

Kedsy
10-06-2008, 07:49 PM
Unless the opposing team's personnel makes it impossible, I expect we'll often see four guards plus Singler on the floor at the end of close games. If I'm right, then it's quite possible both Paulus and Nolan will be there, along with G and Scheyer. However, it won't surprise me if Elliot Williams is occasionally on the floor at crunch time by the end of the year (although I assume that last opinion will raise the obligatory scoffs).

RelativeWays
10-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I'd like to see Paulus be a bit more of an emotional and assertive leader, other than that, he's our starting PG and should be

BlueintheFace
10-06-2008, 08:21 PM
Let me just give you a DBR overview on this topic that has been discussed a lot this off season so you don't have to keep checking back

~90% Believe it will be Paulus for very obvious reasons (proven he can make big shot in last 4 minutes or so, high% three point shooter, great free-throw shooter, senior with experience).

~10% Believe it will be Nolan because he is better at creating his own shot and has potential. These people believe/hope that Nolan will have a huge breakout season and be so good that he will take Greg's job by the end of the season.

~75% agree that it is entirely possible that we could see both on the floor together at the end of games... depending on the opponent

dukestheheat
10-06-2008, 09:14 PM
Hi,

Who do you think will be Duke's PG in the final 5 minutes of close games come March? I realize Greg is a captain and senior, but I think Nolan will log more PT during the final 5 minutes of close games come March. I think Nolan's significantly better defensive skills will dictate this change, since we'll have plenty of scoring from the 2-5 spots.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

God's ears, buddy. I also love Nolan Smith and it's very widely (thank you very much) recognized here on the D.B.R. that I am the chief president of the Nolan Smith Fan Club! However, I see Paulus manning that post for his senior year and unless he is really getting beat badly by Nolan in practice, I do believe that, based on history, Greg will start most games and probably finish most games, as well. I'd be very surprised to see much change from last year. I thought Nolan'd get more time going down the stretch, but to me it seemed to even out in terms of minutes played (or favoring Paulus but maybe not significantly so).

Now, I'm talking like I know what I'm talking about, but I really don't. I just like Nolan's game in 300 different ways and he's just a super athlete. When he gets that ball in transition, he makes me get off the couch and start whooping for joy when he does his thing! Paulus is much more methodical, plodding, and a great shooter, probably our best shooter; Nolan is explosive, daring, truly athletic.

dth.

wolfpackdevil
10-06-2008, 09:31 PM
Hi,

Best regards,
Jeffrey

I think that Nolan will get more in the late games. He is much quicker and will be able to penatrate more. Also none of them could get it done when it mattered last march, so until I see some improvment in clutch games from anybody, this is a shaky team

Bob Green
10-06-2008, 10:01 PM
Aside from the fact Paulus has consistently made big plays for us down the stretch in close games, he also deserves to be on the floor because he is one of our best free throw shooters.

Agreed! The ability to knock down free throws has to be a prime consideration. I would expect the end of games to be when Coach K goes with Singler and four guards: Paulus, Scheyer, Henderson, and Smith.

I'm big on Nolan Smith and am anticipating a great year from him, but he will be complimenting Paulus not replacing him in the line-up.

Inonehand
10-06-2008, 10:08 PM
I'd like to see Paulus be a bit more of an emotional and assertive leader, other than that, he's our starting PG and should be

Really?

jv001
10-06-2008, 10:25 PM

Seems like I remember Greg wearing scars from his assertive play last year. Blood, black eye and enduring more pain than anyone on the team. I have been one to question his defense but not his intensity and being willing to put in on the line at anytime during the game. Go Duke!

Edouble
10-06-2008, 10:58 PM
Let me just give you a DBR overview on this topic that has been discussed a lot this off season so you don't have to keep checking back

~90% Believe it will be Paulus for very obvious reasons (proven he can make big shot in last 4 minutes or so, high% three point shooter, great free-throw shooter, senior with experience).

~10% Believe it will be Nolan because he is better at creating his own shot and has potential. These people believe/hope that Nolan will have a huge breakout season and be so good that he will take Greg's job by the end of the season.

~75% agree that it is entirely possible that we could see both on the floor together at the end of games... depending on the opponent

Excellent synopsis, sir.

Got_Duke
10-06-2008, 11:15 PM
dude the season hasn't even started and we have yet to see Nolan Smith touch the ball in his sophomore season....

on top of that neither paulus nor smith will be THE go-to guy in the last 5 minutes

i say henderson is the go to guy in the last 5mins, unless you can get scheyer for the 3 off a screen, or singler open down low off a pick and roll within that 5 mins

Edouble
10-06-2008, 11:20 PM
dude the season hasn't even started and we have yet to see Nolan Smith touch the ball in his sophomore season....

on top of that neither paulus nor smith will be THE go-to guy in the last 5 minutes

Right, but the question is about who will set up the go-to guy and make sure that he gets the rock where and when he needs it.

SilkyJ
10-07-2008, 02:56 AM
this one again, eh. well i am totally in favor of nolan stepping up. I certainly think he can and I definitely want him to as I think his ceiling is way higher than Greg's.

that being said, greg is no slouch and replacing him in crunch time will be a tall order for a variety of reasons already mentioned, the main ones in my mind being his shooting, FTs, decision making (hopefully) which has steadily improved, and the intangible clutch factor.

kexman
10-07-2008, 08:49 AM
On a remote level this is the same debate that we had on williams versus Hurley. If you have good scorers at other positions you do not need a great 1 on 1 player like Jason Williams at the point. If you don't have scorers at other positions than you want a scorer like Williams at the point. Depends on the players you have around you and to some extent the match up that you are facing.

Not that either Smith or Paulas are in these guys league, but they each have strengths and weaknesses that may be used effectively depending on the situation...I'll wait until the season to make a choice...this is football season after all:)

Jeffrey
10-07-2008, 10:58 AM

Hi,

How kind of you.

I have a unique perspective that is not covered in your overview. Greg is a weak defender and the quickiest PG's will leave Greg in the dust and there will be no time for help defense. As a result, our entire defense will breakdown and be exposed. This does not, and will not, happen with Nolan pressuring the ball. I think we have plenty of scoring weapons and the decision on who will be the closing PG, in close March games, will be mostly based on defensive skills.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
10-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Our scoring, especially in tight situations and in the half court offense, is not a given. Particularly at the 5, where I would expect Zoubek or Czyz to be able to contribute some points, but it's definitely not money in the bank.

Hi,

I expect Kyle to be our pseudo-5 come March. I think we'll close games with a small line-up which will leave a lot of scoring potential from the 2-5 positions.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

jimsumner
10-07-2008, 12:14 PM
"I have a unique perspective that is not covered in your overview."

And they say that great satire is dead. :)

Because we've never discussed Paulus' defense on this board, making Jeffrey's critique so unique and everything.

Edouble
10-07-2008, 12:20 PM

Because we've never discussed Paulus' defense on this board, making Jeffrey's critique so unique and everything.

Ha ha ha. You hit the nail on the head.

Jeffrey
10-07-2008, 12:34 PM

Hi Jim,

Sorry, should have said "unmentioned" instead of "unique". Crazy/hectic day in the markets and I'm multi-tasking.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Classof06
10-07-2008, 12:38 PM
While I think Smith should play a lot more than he does, I know that's not realistic until Paulus graduates. I've come to the realization that Paulus is a SG in a PG's body. He's our best long-range shooter but our worst ball-defender and not an extraordinary ballhandler or distributor.

And while Greg has been clutch in some big games (Davidson, UNC), it's not like he's the go-to guy on the team. In a 71-71 game with 2:00 left, we're not drawing up plays for Paulus. With the game on the line, I want the ball in Henderson's hands then either Scheyer or Singler.

elvis14
10-07-2008, 01:31 PM

Good post but I disagree with the first two numbers (90/10). I think it's more like 70/30. I agree with what Classof06 had to say about GP being a SG in a PG body. If it was up to me I would have started NS in Jan last year. I think we might have lost a few more regular season games...early. I also believe we would have been better prepared for the tournaments.

Even as someone who would like to see NS get more PT, I'm somewhat tired of this subject. Every time I post about it I feel like I'm bashing GP and that isn't my intent. The kid has great heart.

How many days before our boys hit the floor? :D

Devils Rock
10-07-2008, 02:14 PM
I expect Kyle to be our pseudo-5 come March. I think we'll close games with a small line-up which will leave a lot of scoring potential from the 2-5 positions.

Not so sure about that. Although K has shown a frustrating penchant for going small at all costs over the years (I'm sure he had his reasons for not playing his pine-riding big men, they just weren't readily apparent), even K as well as many others have said that putting Singler in the middle was a major factor in our demise last year. Based on what K has said, it appears that if he will try to utilize someone (not sure who will emerge between Lance, Zoubek, Olek, Miles) other than Singler in the post so that Singler won't get worn down again. Also, rebounding was a major problem for us last year with the small-ball lineup. I doubt that K will want to duplicate the rebounding performance that we had against WVA. Even with Kyle at the PF spot, we would still be smaller on average than most top 25 teams.

Jeffrey
10-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Not so sure about that. Although K has shown a frustrating penchant for going small at all costs over the years (I'm sure he had his reasons for not playing his pine-riding big men, they just weren't readily apparent), even K as well as many others have said that putting Singler in the middle was a major factor in our demise last year. Based on what K has said, it appears that if he will try to utilize someone (not sure who will emerge between Lance, Zoubek, Olek, Miles) other than Singler in the post so that Singler won't get worn down again. Also, rebounding was a major problem for us last year with the small-ball lineup. I doubt that K will want to duplicate the rebounding performance that we had against WVA. Even with Kyle at the PF spot, we would still be smaller on average than most top 25 teams.

Hi,

That's a very good point. Nevertheless, I think Coach K will play his five best players in the final minutes of a close March game. I think that will be Nolan (at PG), Greg (at SG), Jon, Gerald, and Kyle.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

COYS
10-07-2008, 02:35 PM
Also, rebounding was a major problem for us last year with the small-ball lineup. I doubt that K will want to duplicate the rebounding performance that we had against WVA. Even with Kyle at the PF spot, we would still be smaller on average than most top 25 teams.

By WVA, I assume you mean WVU. We were terribly out rebounded in that game, it's true, but it was because WVU beat us at our own game of small ball. The lineup WVU used at the end of the game was at least as small as our lineup, if not smaller. they had no player taller than 6'8'' on the court during most of the second half.

As for K not playing big men, I think K has shown a willingness to adapt to the personnel he has at his disposal. In '06 we started 6'9'' Shelden Williams and 6'10'' Josh McRoberts and the result wasn't much different from this past season. This is not to say it wouldn't be awesome to have a dominant low post banger playing during crunch time, but if that player doesn't exist, why not go with Singler? Our small ball lineup that you say was such a major problem last year sure won a lot of games. Hopefully our big guys will step up and reach the point that they are ready to contribute consistently in big game situations. Until that happens, though, i'm perfectly fine with us going small.

Kedsy
10-07-2008, 03:25 PM
By WVA, I assume you mean WVU. We were terribly out rebounded in that game, it's true, but it was because WVU beat us at our own game of small ball. The lineup WVU used at the end of the game was at least as small as our lineup, if not smaller. they had no player taller than 6'8'' on the court during most of the second half.

I agree. In my opinion, we didn't play up to expectations last year against Belmont or West Virginia not because they were bigger than us but because they played the same sort of game we did but did it a little better (Belmont shot better and went backdoor better, and WVU was stronger and more athletic). Plus several of our players were clearly sick and seemed worn down. Honestly, if we had been healthy and had beaten West Virginia, and then Xavier before losing to UCLA in the Elite Eight, would anybody be saying we couldn't win with a small lineup?

I understand we also lost to UNC and Clemson near the end of last season, and both were big teams, but we beat both of them earlier in the season; to me the difference seemed to be that our 3-point shooting (especially Singler's) was a lot worse in the later games, which suggests tired legs, not a lack of size.

The point of my rambling is if we can stay healthy and keep our legs for the entire season, Duke will be a very, very good team without any of the big players contributing more than they did last year. Although, having said that, it's possible that the bigs will have to contribute on defense to keep Singler from wearing down, but it's also possible that just being stronger and a year older will do the trick for him.

Just my opinion, of course.

SilkyJ
10-07-2008, 03:46 PM
And while Greg has been clutch in some big games (Davidson, UNC), it's not like he's the go-to guy on the team. In a 71-71 game with 2:00 left, we're not drawing up plays for Paulus. With the game on the line, I want the ball in Henderson's hands then either Scheyer or Singler.

Well yes and no. The play may be very well be a drive by Henderson/scheyer/singler/nolan, but a lot of our offense is drive and kicks so it could easily be that one of those guys tries to create and then kicks it out if the defense collapses or players are left open on the outside. If thats the case, Paulus is the guy we'd want receiving the kickout...

thebur
10-07-2008, 03:54 PM
I agree with folks that say both may be on the floor with a four guard lineup. I could also see a three guard/four man shuffle in the last 8 minutes of games.

Good to be back, America!

Edouble
10-07-2008, 05:23 PM
Honestly, if we had been healthy and had beaten West Virginia, and then Xavier before losing to UCLA in the Elite Eight, would anybody be saying we couldn't win with a small lineup?

Yes. Or at least they would say that we were never really a top five team, but that we were a top 15 team that got exposed and we were never a major player in the National Championship hunt.

I'm suprised no one else has brought this up yet, but I think that the five guys on the floor at the end of a March game will in large part depend on the team that we are matched up against. In thinking about some of the recent teams that have beaten us in NCAA play, compare the line-ups that we might use against, say, Indiana '02 versus LSU '06. Against Indiana, Singler would be almost the ideal defensive foil to Jared Jeffries. A lineup of Paulus, Smith, Henderson, Scheyer, and Singler is very reasonable in this situation. Against LSU, that would not be a good line-up. Asking Singler and Hendo to hold down Big Baby and Tyrus Thomas would be ludicrous. I think we would have to have Zoubek in the game, or Singler might break an arm trying to stop Baby Shaq. Against a team like LSU '06, I think we'd probably go with Paulus/Smith, Scheyer, Henderson, Singler/Thomas, and Zoubek. A super-athletic team might force Paulus and Nelson to switch in and out for offensive and defensive possessions respectively, and who knows... Williams might have to play a few possessions if his defense really develops and someone is in foul trouble. Depending on Lance and Kyle's individual developments on defense, either might need to be in the game to counter a player like Tyrus Thomas.

COYS
10-07-2008, 05:51 PM
I'm suprised no one else has brought this up yet, but I think that the five guys on the floor at the end of a March game will in large part depend on the team that we are matched up against.

I think the other thing that's important to consider is that most late game situations for Duke call for a small-ball lineup. If we're ahead, we want our top ball handlers and free throw shooters on the floor as much as possible. For our team last year, both Thomas and Zoubek were liabilities from the free throw line. When we're behind, we want as much offense on the floor. Last year, that meant that Hendo, Scheyer, Paulus, Nelson and Singler needed to be on the floor. It is likely that this year that will mean Singler, Scheyer, Hendo, Paulus, and Smith for both offense and ball handling. I think Zoubek or Thomas or one of our other post guys could be in the game late if they improve their free throw shooting, provide a bit more of a consistent offensive threat, and the matchup calls for it. In those situations, I think that Coach K would be more than willing to adjust the lineup. I think there were a number of posters here who commented in a previous thread on this subject that it was very likely that Coach K would use Zoubs a lot more frequently in late game situations this year.

Edouble, I think your examples are very interesting. Of course, we didn't have the team depth in those years that we have now, which gives coach K options that he may not have had in the past. Let's just hope that Zoubs and Thomas work hard to earn some minutes at crunch time.

Kedsy
10-07-2008, 07:25 PM
Yes. Or at least they would say that we were never really a top five team, but that we were a top 15 team that got exposed and we were never a major player in the National Championship hunt.

If we lost in the Elite Eight (which was the premise for my statement), wouldn't "they" say we were a top 8 team (which is not that far from top 5, is it?), or at least top 10. If we lost to a team going to its third straight Final Four, assuming the game was relatively close, why would they say we got exposed?

This isn't just sophistry, at least on my part. I truly believe if we were healthy we would have won the West Virginia game, and we would have been a strong favorite in the Xavier game. Which would have had us playing UCLA to get to the Final Four, and frankly I think we would have had a shot in that game as well, since Singler had played against and beaten Love in high school and knew his tendencies.

But obviously that's all dreams and vapor. My point is we didn't need a big man last year to make a serious run at the Final Four. All we needed was health.

RelativeWays
10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Seems like I remember Greg wearing scars from his assertive play last year. Blood, black eye and enduring more pain than anyone on the team. I have been one to question his defense but not his intensity and being willing to put in on the line at anytime during the game. Go Duke!

I'm not saying Paulus takes plays off or doesn't play 100% I'm talking from purely a team moral point of view. As the senior captain, I want Greg to have a bit of a swagger and play with a chip on his shoulder and I want him to pass tha to0 the rest of the team. I think last year Dmarc seemed to internalize a lot of the pressure and his emotion and it seemed like he really tried to carry the team during March and he struggled with that burden (thats how it seemed to me). I don't want Greg to do that, I don't want Greg to feel like he's the senior PG, he needs to fix the problem. Instead I want him to let loose and get his team fired up. Thats all I want from him, and of course to improve on ball handling. Everything else Paulus does is ace in my book.

jv001
10-08-2008, 09:34 AM
I'm not saying Paulus takes plays off or doesn't play 100% I'm talking from purely a team moral point of view. As the senior captain, I want Greg to have a bit of a swagger and play with a chip on his shoulder and I want him to pass tha to0 the rest of the team. I think last year Dmarc seemed to internalize a lot of the pressure and his emotion and it seemed like he really tried to carry the team during March and he struggled with that burden (thats how it seemed to me). I don't want Greg to do that, I don't want Greg to feel like he's the senior PG, he needs to fix the problem. Instead I want him to let loose and get his team fired up. Thats all I want from him, and of course to improve on ball handling. Everything else Paulus does is ace in my book.

Agree for the most part. I will take another season like Greg had last year but with better defense. His assist to TO was good, 3pt shot, free throws good as well. He just needs to play better on ball defense. But with our style of play we can sometimes get by with help defense. Like you I don't want him to think he has to carry this team. He can't but he can be a valuable contributor. Go Duke!

ForeverBlowingBubbles
10-08-2008, 09:45 AM
there is no way to possibly know this question.

Jeffrey
10-08-2008, 10:51 AM

Hi,

No doubt. I do, however, think it's possible to discuss the potential of making Nolan our PG and Greg our SG at game's end. IMO, Greg is a great spot up shooter and Nolan is a very good on the ball defender. This would, of course, mean relative small ball with its own pro's and con's.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

BlueintheFace
10-08-2008, 10:53 AM
Good post but I disagree with the first two numbers (90/10). I think it's more like 70/30.

PotAto-PotAWto

~a strong majority and ~a distinct minority

I'm telling you guys. Just look at my synopsis. It's all you really need to know.

Look, I am proposing a MORATORIUM on all Paulus v Smith threads until the first game starts. I know this is a message board for fans and it is the offseason, blah blah blah, but come on guys. We have beaten this dead horse so long my arm is getting tired. JOIN ME in ignoring this topic for just a few weeks of the year. NOTHING NEW IS GOING TO BE SAID!

Jeffrey
10-08-2008, 11:13 AM
NOTHING NEW IS GOING TO BE SAID!

Hi,

How do you know that? For an extreme example, Coach Knight could join today and school every one of us. There is always the potential for new members to join, or old members to start participating, and new ideas/opinions to be expressed.

Or, we could just continue the mentality that the DBR consensus experts have spoken and nothing else of value could possibly be said on the subject. Of course, what happens if one of the DBR consensus experts gets a new idea? Hmmm, guess that is also not possible.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Edouble
10-08-2008, 01:58 PM

I think we all know the question. :confused:

jimsumner
10-08-2008, 02:26 PM
"Coach Knight could join today and school every one of us."

How do you know he's not already posting here? Lots of assumed names here. I mean have you ever seen Jumbo and Bob Knight in the same place?

Okay, seriously. We all want to talk Duke hoops but we have little new to talk about so we keep going over the same stuff over and over again.

Pretty soon we've got an open scrimmage, a blue-white game, a practice game and we'll have some real stuff to talk about.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-08-2008, 02:44 PM
How do you know he's not already posting here? Lots of assumed names here. I mean have you ever seen Jumbo and Bob Knight in the same place?

Okay, seriously. We all want to talk Duke hoops but we have little new to talk about so we keep going over the same stuff over and over again.

Pretty soon we've got an open scrimmage, a blue-white game, a practice game and we'll have some real stuff to talk about.

And we're pretty lucky to be able to look forward to our season with such excitement. Can anyone imagine what it must be like on the IU boards?

devildeac
10-08-2008, 02:57 PM

Jumbo and Bob Knight are one and the same? Dang, I thought for years that Jumbo and K were the same 'cuz I've never seen them together either:rolleyes:.

Richard Berg
10-08-2008, 03:37 PM
Greg is a weak defender and the quickiest PG's will leave Greg in the dust and there will be no time for help defense. As a result, our entire defense will breakdown and be exposed. This does not, and will not, happen with Nolan pressuring the ball.
Of course it well. Even world-class defenders get taken to school all the time.

Greg is a weak defender, but its effect on the team is (a) merely a matter of degree (b) well understood by the smart folks scouting our defensive strategies.

Jeffrey
10-08-2008, 04:53 PM
Greg is a weak defender, but its effect on the team is (a) merely a matter of degree (b) well understood by the smart folks scouting our defensive strategies.

Hi Richard,

(a) "merely a matter of degree" determines the winner of the game,

(b) "well understood by the smart folks scouting our defensive strategies" and well exploited as a result.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Jeffrey
10-08-2008, 05:30 PM

Hi Jim,

My post pertained to a larger issue about this forum, and I think you realize that. The spirit sometimes displayed on this forum that the issue has been discussed and there is nothing of value anyone else could possibly say appears arrogant. Why anyone here would want to convey that appearance is beyond me.

I have a decent understanding of finance and hang out on the PPB. Most PPB member are not finance geeks but they want to learn more about finance. Obviously, that's one of the reason they participate in financial threads. So, I can either take the approach frequently shown here and tell them we've already discussed that while criticizing every little error they make (and frequently the degree of the error is far greater than those made on this board) OR I can try to think about what the poster really means/wants to know and I can try to help them expand their knowledge of the subject.

BTW, I have never seen you convey the spirit that I am addressing. Your post merely opened the door for my response.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

BlueintheFace
10-08-2008, 06:12 PM
The spirit sometimes displayed on this forum that the issue has been discussed and there is nothing of value anyone else could possibly say appears arrogant. Why anyone here would want to convey that appearance is beyond me.

Jeffrey,

Count me (and most of the posters on this board right now) as arrogant. Perhaps somebody could bring up something new, but it is very doubtful because there has been NO NEW EVIDENCE to bolster or change anybody's viewpoints recently. Furthermore, at this point, there are already at least 15 threads that have devolved into this topic area. The truth is, the marketplace of ideas has had a great run at this topic and once summer ran its course, not one person was espousing truly new information or ideas. This seems to be pretty strong evidence that the topic has run its course on the facts available. Does it not?

New information is definitely welcomed and would obviously change my stance, but in the meantime we have two well defined sides with a LIMITED number of arguments to make with the unchanging pool of evidence/facts.

My overview was obviously not completely comprehensive, but my point remains the same. In the absence of new information, this board will suffer from an absence of new arguments/viewpoints. New threads every week will hardly change this status quo.

...and that my friend is why the season needs to start already. We all need some new information to process and argue about.

Best Regards,
Blueintheface

jimsumner
10-08-2008, 06:38 PM
This is a problem that shows up on any message board, sports, classical music, growing orchids. If you don't get new members, fresh blood, than threads tend to become increasingly rarified discussions of minutia.

Nobody wants that.

But new members run the risk of wanting to discuss matters that, to the older members, have been done to death. I can't think of anything to say about Paulus v. Smith or Mike Krzyzewski's recruiting patterns that I haven't already said, over and over and over.

So we don't want that either.

I confess I don't know the answer other than to refer to ancient bromides about balance or meeting people halfway or whatever.

That's why so many of us are looking forward to the beginning of the public portion of the basketball program, inasmuch as it should hopefully produce topics that will engage all the members of the forum.

phaedrus
10-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Jumbo cannot possibly be Bob Knight. Bob Knight is not Jon Scheyer's father.

SilkyJ
10-08-2008, 07:17 PM
Jumbo cannot possibly be Bob Knight. Bob Knight is not Jon Scheyer's father.

HAHAHAHAHAHA. POTY!!

actually, one rare point of agreement for jumbo and me is that scheyer is underrated, particularly on this board...