PDA

View Full Version : McDonald's AA Game

VaDukie
03-27-2007, 01:40 PM
What are you all most looking forward to about the game tomorrow night? For me, it's Kyle Singler. I've seen Smith, King, and Patterson play in the hoopball classic in Durham, and I really want to see if he measures up to the hype he's been given all year. In addition, lots of great players headed elsewhere should be fun to watch: Eric Gordon, Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, OJ "Ball in the Stands" Mayo, etc.

So what about you guys? Any thoughts/expectations for tomorrow night?

CMS2478
03-27-2007, 01:42 PM
What are you all most looking forward to about the game tomorrow night? For me, it's Kyle Singler. I've seen Smith, King, and Patterson play in the hoopball classic in Durham, and I really want to see if he measures up to the hype he's been given all year. In addition, lots of great players headed elsewhere should be fun to watch: Eric Gordon, Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, OJ "Ball in the Stands" Mayo, etc.

A WHOLE LOT OF BALL-HOGGING!!! :(

texasdevil06
03-27-2007, 02:06 PM
The McDonald's game is not a very good venue to take the measure of future Duke players, especially frontcourt players. There have been some notable exceptions (G. Hill, McRoberts) but players like Laettner and Ferry were practically invisible in this game. Showboating will be the order of the day and Singler is no showboat.

The upcoming Nike Hoops Summit will be a better gauge. Singler and Smith are on the USA team.

Classof06
03-27-2007, 02:35 PM
What I like about tomorrow's AA game is that there's only one Florida recruit, no Kentucky recruits, and 3 Duke recruits. With all the players hanging out and spending a lot of time together, you better believe Nolan, Kyle and Taylor will be in Patrick Patterson's ear giving him the Duke pitch all trip long...

C'mon home Patrick!!!!

Clipsfan
03-27-2007, 02:43 PM
What I like about tomorrow's AA game is that there's only one Florida recruit, no Kentucky recruits, and 3 Duke recruits. With all the players hanging out and spending a lot of time together, you better believe Nolan, Kyle and Taylor will be in Patrick Patterson's ear giving him the Duke pitch all trip long...

C'mon home Patrick!!!!

I can only hope that you're right, and that Patterson decides to continue the Duke tradition with the other All-Americans. I can't believe that he wouldn't have run into them a bunch already, though, as they've all been active on the AAU circuit. Also, didn't he play against Nolan's team in Durham? Hopefully they hit it off in the past and continue the good times.

LetItBD08
03-27-2007, 02:57 PM
Also, didn't he play against Nolan's team in Durham? Hopefully they hit it off in the past and continue the good times.

Nolan's team played Taylor's team in the game before Patterson's game. Hopefully, like you said, they had some friendly conversations with him.

ikiru36
03-27-2007, 03:04 PM

Ditto with all the previous sentiment...

But to add one player that I haven't seen many discussing, despite his high ranking, Derrick Rose. Just my 2 cents that he's the best HS player I saw this year (albeit only a few times on TV). I could certainly be wrong but what I witnessed was a special player, in terms of his package of feel/skills/strength/athleticism combined with a mature passion.

Anyways, lack of defense and showboating aside, it'll be fun to see so many future Blue Devils on the court together!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Classof06
03-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Ditto with all the previous sentiment...

But to add one player that I haven't seen many discussing, despite his high ranking, Derrick Rose. Just my 2 cents that he's the best HS player I saw this year (albeit only a few times on TV). I could certainly be wrong but what I witnessed was a special player, in terms of his package of feel/skills/strength/athleticism combined with a mature passion.

I agree, Derrick Rose is the truth. With Calipari getting kids like that and going to 2 straight Elite 8s, who needs Kentucky?

Then again, money does talk, so we'll see...

JasonEvans
03-27-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm looking forward to see how good the Carolina kids will be. You know, the ones who will replace Wright, Lawson, Terry, Miller, and Hansbrough. UNC could be really stuck next season if their Mickie Dees don't step up.

--Jason "tee hee" Evans

VaDukie
03-27-2007, 03:41 PM
LOL.

Post of the Day award goes to Evans.

feldspar
03-27-2007, 03:48 PM
LOL.

Post of the Day award goes to Evans.

Ditto. That was tight. :D

kydevil
03-27-2007, 04:05 PM
Ill be attending the game... I can't wait to see singler however i doubt he shows much since the game is mostly dunking and showboating which i dont see him or any of duke's recruits doing besides maybe smith. I'll try to put a word in to PP for us:)

lavell12
03-27-2007, 05:35 PM
That stuff maybe true but JJ was the MVP of the game the same year that Carmelo, Chris Bosh, and others played in the McDonald's game.

Channing
03-27-2007, 06:00 PM
hopefully Taylor King can reestablish the Duke recruit tradition of winning the 3 point contest . . . someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

Nate James
Shane Battier
Jason Williams
Chris Duhon
JJ Redick

BDevilU
03-27-2007, 07:19 PM
I think Trajan won it as well

Cameron
03-27-2007, 08:05 PM
^^DeMarcus Nelson won it too, I believe. I could be wrong, though.

As for what I am looking forward to, though, it is hands down watching Taylor King in the three-point contest and then sitting back and tuning into him draining some 25, 27 footers in the actual game. My VCR will be ready.

Good luck to Kyle, Nolan, and Patrick as well. I am very excited to see them on the big stage, together.

Duke15304
03-27-2007, 08:10 PM
thanks in advance

Cameron
03-27-2007, 08:18 PM
^^Tomorrow night at 7:00 on ESPN.

dukelifer
03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
hopefully Taylor King can reestablish the Duke recruit tradition of winning the 3 point contest . . . someone please correct me if I have this wrong.

Nate James
Shane Battier
Jason Williams
Chris Duhon
JJ Redick

This has already been decided and King was not even in the final 2. I was a bit surprised not to see his name.

JJweMISSu
03-27-2007, 09:17 PM
I know you have all heard about Eric Gordan right? I just thought i would tell you that in his Indiana State title game, i was there, he was the 3rd best player on the court. Behind Purdue recruit E'twaun Moore and sophmore 6'11 Angel Garcia. I was very shocked, because i went to the game against Jujuan Johnson *also Purdue recruit, and Jeff Teague Wake Forest recruit. But i discoverd his trend though (which i think everyone did by the 4th quarter) he is only comfortable shooting on the mid right side for threes. I just thought i would give you a little knowledge or what ever on Eric Gordan because i saw someone mention hiom earlier....

FireOgilvie
03-27-2007, 09:29 PM
I know you have all heard about Eric Gordan right? I just thought i would tell you that in his Indiana State title game, i was there, he was the 3rd best player on the court. Behind Purdue recruit E'twaun Moore and sophmore 6'11 Angel Garcia. I was very shocked, because i went to the game against Jujuan Johnson *also Purdue recruit, and Jeff Teague Wake Forest recruit. But i discoverd his trend though (which i think everyone did by the 4th quarter) he is only comfortable shooting on the mid right side for threes. I just thought i would give you a little knowledge or what ever on Eric Gordan because i saw someone mention hiom earlier....

You can't judge someone by one off-game. I've seen Eric Gordon play 3 times (2 live - 1 on tv) and he is definitely worth the hype.

Bob Green
03-27-2007, 10:01 PM
Here are some links. First, a day 2 practice report:

http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=1954

and a dunk contest, 3 point contest link:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS11/703270468/1002/SPORTS

finally, an article about Nolan Smith's Louisville roots:

http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS11/703270518/1002

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

denniden
03-27-2007, 10:36 PM
Eric Gordon has been battling a hammy injury I believe. That could be why he has not played like normal. The dude is a beast.

Imagine this starting lineup

Gordon
Rose
Love
Singler
Beasley

That is most likely to happen and all of them like to share the ball for the most part. Yikes.

watzone
03-28-2007, 09:11 AM
Lots to talk about with Patrick Pattersons pending decision ... Nolan Smith, Taylor King and Kyle Singler pkaying in tonights McDonald's All Star Game.

The Duke guys are team players, so do not look for say, one of the games top two scorers to come from the aformentioned group.

Links for McD's AA Game (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

JasonEvans
03-28-2007, 09:26 AM
My VCR will be ready.

VCR??!?!? My 10-year-old son would ask, "what is that?"

You've heard of these fancy new things called DVRs, right? There is a company called Tivo that makes a popular brand of these.

--Jason " ;) :D " Evans

JasonEvans
03-28-2007, 09:31 AM
Some article says Nolan won the "team ball" competition. Anyone know what this is?

-Jason

tropical storm
03-28-2007, 12:27 PM
One of the fella AA's is teamed with a girl AA in a 2-on-2 competition. It is really something of an advanced h-o-r-s-e game since generally good comradere is observed i.e. male AA post players don't usually try to swat female post player shots or actively push them out of lane or anything.

-Storm

whereinthehellami
03-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Some of the links provided in earlier posts talked about how Singler, Patterson, and a handufl of the other players have looked in the Mcdonalds AA game practices but I haven't seen anything on Smith and King. I think the one site was draftexpress(?), are they only tracking the players that they deem as being on the immediate NBA radar? Or is it that Smith and King haven't stood out in any of the practices? Anyone have any insights?

I wouldn't think that this would be the type of game that King would flourish in though he is supposed to have good range on the 3. I guess the same could be said of Smith also as there are a bevy of bigger, more athletic guards in this game.

I know you can't take much away from these games but I always enjoy watching the Duke players and not the game. Seeing what they do off the ball and out of the play itself. I haven't seen King play at all and am looking forward to watching him in this game. How active he is off the ball, what kind of insticts he has, and does he have a nose for the ball?

Channing
03-28-2007, 04:01 PM
This is a quote about Blake Griffin and his winning dunk:

"But Griffin drew the loudest ovation when he started with his back to the basket at the free-throw line. He bounced the ball between his legs, off the backboard and turned around to slam it for a 50.

"I was trying to do something that no one had seen before, and I just thought of that," Griffin said. "The timing worked our so well. It was kind of by luck."

- are the kids competing in this thing really so young that they dont remember when the Kenny "The Jet" Smith did this dunk in the NBA dunk contest?

feldspar
03-28-2007, 04:04 PM
- are the kids competing in this thing really so young that they dont remember when the Kenny "The Jet" Smith did this dunk in the NBA dunk contest?
Seriously. That dunk is, like, soooooo 1990 (http://www.nba.com/allstar2005/alltime_dunks_89-95.html).

DevilAlumna
03-28-2007, 04:24 PM
are the kids competing in this thing really so young that they dont remember when the Kenny "The Jet" Smith did this dunk in the NBA dunk contest?

I don't know of many people who that have sort of early memory recall from when they were only 1 year of age....

throatybeard
03-28-2007, 04:27 PM
He who is ignorant of history is doomed to repeat it?

Channing
03-28-2007, 04:29 PM
He who is ignorant of history is doomed to repeat it?

touche. What I was getting at is that on every "dazzling dunk" tape I have ever seen that Dunk has been included. However, it did kick me back to reality that this years group of high school seniors are 89ers

Bob Green
03-28-2007, 07:35 PM
Jasmine Thomas is named MVP!

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

dcarp23
03-28-2007, 08:11 PM
What number is Nolan Smith wearing tonight?

DukeUsul
03-28-2007, 08:12 PM
I thought he was in the starting lineup, but I didn't see anything from him before the first TV TO. Kyle looks pretty good.

DukeUsul
03-28-2007, 08:22 PM
Good dunk by Smith there. Looks like he's wearing 24?

dcarp23
03-28-2007, 08:23 PM
He is wearing 22.

mr. synellinden
03-28-2007, 08:27 PM
Singler - 33
Patterson - 54

Haven't seen King yet.

dcarp23
03-28-2007, 08:30 PM
King, I believe, is 31. He hit a turnaround in the lane earlier.

feldspar
03-28-2007, 08:42 PM
Why do they make the uniforms so friggin' baggy?

YmoBeThere
03-28-2007, 08:48 PM
Why do they make the uniforms so friggin' baggy?

I started asking myself the same thing and then realized it was a sign that I have gotten older. Much older than I would like to admit.

DukeUsul
03-28-2007, 08:51 PM
They're better than the new tightie-whitie uniforms OSU and the Cuse were sporting late in the year.

Nice deep 3 by King.

phaedrus
03-28-2007, 09:20 PM
Jasmine Thomas is named MVP!

http://www.courier-journal.com/blogs/demling/blog.html

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

d*** it, now we can't blame alleva for her failure.

Cameron
03-28-2007, 09:24 PM
Jason:

Lol... I know I am living in the past, aren't I? Anyway, I have all the latest technologies--DVR, Dish recording, etc.--but I still have my VCR as well. Actually, when my old one broke last season before JJs Senior Night, I went out to a local Best Buy and bought a brand new VCR to record the game. I have all the Duke tapes in my collection recorded on VCR and I have never wanted to change my system. I love the classic look. Altough, now that my game library is beginning to take up way too shelves, I think I may start transferring them over to the smaller, more compact DVDs.

BTW, I think Taylor needs to get a little more PT in this game. Perhaps the coach missed his 27 footer just before the first half closed? Because I personally saw him cash it with ease. I know, I know, it is an all-star game. And I understand that the coach is trying his best to get everyone in the same amount of time. But, still, Taylor is sick. And we need to see more of his sick range.

arnie
03-28-2007, 09:25 PM
Nolan Smith and PP are the real thing! If we get PP, the team is much stronger. Singler looks awfully thin - but will possibly become a Dunleavy - just don't see how he will help inside. Taylor King can certainly shoot the 3, but will he have the same role as Melchionni??

I disagree that the McDonalds game does not give an insight into the future of the players. I recall the immediate dominance of Brand, the greatness of Redick and the star-struck look on Domzalski and Randolph as players skied above them.

Cameron
03-28-2007, 09:39 PM
I don't know, but I love Taylor's confidence. He definitely believes he is never going to miss. He just shot a 28 footer, missed badly, got the rebound two seconds later, and jacked up another three-ball. Cash. No conscious. I love it!!!

There is no doubt, though, that he'll be a work in progress when he gets to Durham. He needs to become much stronger and better on the defensive side of the floor. But, he certainly shows some grit when battling inside for rebounds, which is a great thing. He has tremendous upside. However, though he needs work, I don't think I would compare him to Lee. He'll see much more playing time than Lee did as a freshman. Heck, Melchionni never got off the bench, so it won't take too much PT to conquer this feat. We will really be able to use Taylor as a spot up shooter off the bench to earn quick points next season, so I think he sees the floor a good 10, 11 minutes a game, maybe more.

Karl Beem
03-28-2007, 09:46 PM
Patterson, oh my!

FireOgilvie
03-28-2007, 10:04 PM
Singler played some amazing defense tonight. He's a great on-the-ball defender and has really good footwork - he basically stopped the game-tying shot from having a chance. Excellent. I was very impressed with how smooth he looked.

DukeWarhead
03-28-2007, 10:09 PM
Watching him in the McD game, he really seemed like he's got the goods to start right away. Of our three, his play impressed me the most.
I also like the fact that our guys made free throws. Seriously, I don't take that for granted after this season.

smittendevil
03-28-2007, 10:18 PM
Pretty interesting game tonight, even getting competitive at the end.

For me, Singler was certainly the most impressive of our three incoming players: started the game aggressively, scored some nice buckets, and played some good defense - I seem to recall at one point he was guarding a smaller and quicker player at the top of the key for 2-3 possessions, although I may be wrong.

Smith had a nice game too, but pity he missed the dunk.

Not much PT for King, but that first half three was sick!

Didn't notice Patterson that much, tbh, but did make his presence felt at the end of the game, especially with that block on Love, haha. I wonder though - if PP does commit to Duke, will his impact be similar to LT's this year? Even if he comes, I'm not sure he's going to be a "savior" of any sort.

OldSchool
03-28-2007, 10:33 PM
I like PP's game, he seems very much at home down low, something we could really use. Hope he comes, I think we'll have plenty of other players next season willing to jack up the ball. BTW, that block on Love would have been a foul in the ACC.

Kevin Love is going to be a real force for UCLA. Definitely one and done. However, he seems very much in "love" with himself and I couldn't believe the way he was whining about calls even in an all-star game.

Nolan - very smooooth.

TK - someone get TK the digits for Markie's SEAL trainer. Nice-looking 3-pt stroke.

Kyle - This guy has a good head for the game. He'll do great at Duke.

bbar7502
03-28-2007, 10:40 PM
i agree with a lot of the other posters and love the guys that are coming in next year, and i do hope that patterson comes too, it would be a great class. the one thing i noticed was that oj mayo decided he wasnt gonna pass the ball in the game and right there at the end he was starting to get booed whenever he touched the ball, he will be a great fit for tim floyd!

smittendevil
03-28-2007, 11:30 PM
BTW, that block on Love would have been a foul in the ACC.

Don't disagree there ... but it was still nice to see :p

Bob Green
03-29-2007, 12:12 AM
I was very impressed with the play of Nolan Smith and believe he can contribute as a freshman. Our current Guards are going to have to bring their "A" game to compete with Smith. He seems to have a very good handle and nice midrange game. Hopefully, he and Gerald Henderson, Jr. will combine for a lot of points from around 8-15 feet.

Taylor King knocked down two long 3-pointers. I expect him to be a serious scorer during his career at Duke. IMO, his contributions as a freshman will be dependent upon his ability to play Duke defense. He appears to be bigger and stronger than Singler and could earn playing time as a big man, especially if PP goes elsewhere.

Kyle Singler glides when he runs the floor. He will need to bulk up in order to pound away inside, but if he can play as a small forward he has the potential to be a Star!

I'm anxiously awaiting PP's decision.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

throatybeard
03-29-2007, 08:27 AM
King, I believe, is 31. He hit a turnaround in the lane earlier.

Ah, good, so there'll be some in the league older than Tyler Hansbrough if TH comes back.

freedevil
03-29-2007, 08:32 AM
2 of the 3 players looked great to me. King, with the exception of that ridiculous 3, looked like he could barely run up and down the court, much less guard anyone. Here's to hoping he makes me eat crow with his play next year. I'm pumped about Smith and Singler, but consider me skeptical of King's ability.

HK Dukie
03-29-2007, 08:37 AM
I was certainly impressed by the incoming class.

Nolan Smith has that speed and tenacity we need. Played good D, dished ball, seemed like a very good finisher (although he missed one wide open dunk because he was trying to make it rain)

Kyle Singler was amazing. He is so smooth and his touch is scary good. I'm not sure any of his shots hit the rim last night (including his one airball). He played good D on the FLA kid on the final play to seal it for the West. With the proper training from the Duke staff and teammates, this kid is going to be really special.

Taylor King had some guts to keep launching it despite an off shooting night. But given the number of quality outside shooters we will have next year I'm not sure that would go over so well with our coaches. We need the best shot. But you have to admire his resilience. He had no fear.

That was a fun game to watch. Also Mayo missing a chance to win it and Singler playing the D that won the game made it all that much sweeter.

Beezer7
03-29-2007, 08:53 AM
I was very impressed with the play of Nolan Smith and believe he can contribute as a freshman. Our current Guards are going to have to bring their "A" game to compete with Smith. He seems to have a very good handle and nice midrange game.
Agreed. He should compete for significant minutes right away.

kydevil
03-29-2007, 09:14 AM
First of all Duke's players all looked solid and had their ups and occasional downs during the game... heres somethings I noticed while in attendance.

1. King and Singler looked like best friends, sat by each other during the girls game and were laughing with each other the whole time.
2. Nolan Smith was trying to spit some game on PP before the game. Talking to him a lot hopefully be built a friendship and said some words about coming to duke!
3. Did anyone see Singler and PP get into a little scuffle for a looseball(some pushing) didnt look good though.
4. Singler and King were both booed when their names were called (Smith was loved however seeing that he is a louisville boy)
5. King definitely is a gunner and isn't afraid to shoot. gotta love that, Singler put a sick move on Oj late to score a huge basket, and Smith's all around game impressed me. PP would help Majorly with rebounding and blocking shots he is a man down low

P.S. I think the crowd got to O.J. it was like he was afraid to shoot the ball :D :D :D

whereinthehellami
03-29-2007, 09:35 AM
I was impressed with Singler and suprised that the announcers didn't give him any props for his heady play. I thought he was the most active and consistent player out there. I like how his Coach subbed him in at the end of the game. He scored the winning basket for the west on a sweet, athletic reverse layup. He then had the D for the west on the other end making Calaithes (sp?) take a bad shot at the buzzer. He was really communicating well out there and seemed to always be in the right place. He had great spacing on both ends of the floor and really seems to have a high bball IQ. I'm really looking forward to getting to watch him next year. He was more athletic than I thought but will not be able to come close to replacing McRoberts in the froncourt on the defensive end.

I was also impressed with Smith. He stood out on both ends of the floor. I really liked his length, athletiscm, and court awareness. I was suprised that his Coach had him bringing the ball up the court as much as he did considering the other true PGs that his Coach had at his disposal, that is a really good sign for Duke. Plus he looked good, comfortable doing it. I thought he penetrated the lane with ease (though there wasn't very good D). He was one of the only guards playing D. He did a good job of keeping his man in front of him and had a nice block on Lucas. He has sneaky speed and length that could cause matchup problems for other teams. The boxscore didn't show him attempting any 3, which is nice because he seems to have a solid mid-range/pentrating game.

King was about what I thought he would be despite not seeing him play before. I'm not sure what to make of him. He had better size than I thought but didn't seem to use it as well as he could have. He had some speed/athletiscm issues that are probably going to be a constant with him. His confidence is the wildcard. The boy seems to have no fear. If he can keep that attitude in the positive than he could be a suprise and definately work his way into more time for next year than I was thinking. If he struggles at all with that confindence (like alot of freshman do) than I could see him struggling to get many minutes next year.

I was impressed with Patterson more than I was before. Duke could really use him next year. I would go as far as to say that he is the difference between being a little better next year and alot better. Its hard to tell alot from these types of games but with big people I always like to see them standout. Duke has had quite a few big guys get lost in these games with their confindence and athletiscm. I think Patterson held his own down low against some pretty good competetion. He has a good body and athletiscm. He seemed to react well to the ball and his man. He rebounded and defended well. He was one of the few big guys that ate up alot space and seemed comfortable doing so, we could use that big time next year. A big athletic body that likes to block shots. Here's to hoping that Coach K can close this deal as this is a very good match.

CMS2478
03-29-2007, 10:02 AM
First of all Duke's players all looked solid and had their ups and occasional downs during the game... heres somethings I noticed while in attendance.

1. King and Singler looked like best friends, sat by each other during the girls game and were laughing with each other the whole time.
2. Nolan Smith was trying to spit some game on PP before the game. Talking to him a lot hopefully be built a friendship and said some words about coming to duke!
3. Did anyone see Singler and PP get into a little scuffle for a looseball(some pushing) didnt look good though.
4. Singler and King were both booed when their names were called (Smith was loved however seeing that he is a louisville boy)
5. King definitely is a gunner and isn't afraid to shoot. gotta love that, Singler put a sick move on Oj late to score a huge basket, and Smith's all around game impressed me. PP would help Majorly with rebounding and blocking shots he is a man down low

P.S. I think the crowd got to O.J. it was like he was afraid to shoot the ball :D :D :D

I knew it was going to be ugly when he declared that he was going to attempt the scoring record. He defenitely tried, bc he shot pretty much everytime he could get his hands on the ball. You are exactly right that the crowd booed him at the end when he got the ball. I know this may seem stupid, but I actually counted his passes during the game. First half he passed ONCE. Second half he passed about 3 or 4 tmes and that was only bc the crowd was booing him. I am so glad he is not coming to Duke. I hope the USC players are ready for the "OJ Mayo Show," bc I am already sick of it. :eek:

Saratoga2
03-29-2007, 11:25 AM
I was very impressed with the play of Nolan Smith and believe he can contribute as a freshman. Our current Guards are going to have to bring their "A" game to compete with Smith. He seems to have a very good handle and nice midrange game. Hopefully, he and Gerald Henderson, Jr. will combine for a lot of points from around 8-15 feet.

Taylor King knocked down two long 3-pointers. I expect him to be a serious scorer during his career at Duke. IMO, his contributions as a freshman will be dependent upon his ability to play Duke defense. He appears to be bigger and stronger than Singler and could earn playing time as a big man, especially if PP goes elsewhere.

Kyle Singler glides when he runs the floor. He will need to bulk up in order to pound away inside, but if he can play as a small forward he has the potential to be a Star!

'm anxiously awaiting PP's decision.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Nolan looks like a college ready player with a good handle, a good mid range game and lots of athleticism. He didn't look 195 pounds to me as was reported elsewhere. Reminds me a little of Ewing (a good thing) but maybe with a little more handle. To me, his McDonald's game was very encouraging.

Singler showed a very good handle and he did some nice things, but the McDonald's game, where the gunners possess the ball most of the time, was not the best of showcases for his talents. I think he will be more of a force than showed in the McDonalds game.

Taylor King certainly has the long ranged shot. He looked heavier than Singler but also seemed a little slower.

Patrick Patterson really looked great to me. He contested Love inside successfully one time which showcased his athleticism and strength. I would love to see him in a Duke uniform.

mcdukie
03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Let's remember not to read too much into an all-star game. If my memory serves me correctly D. Ferry didn't play well in the MCDAA game and he had a pretty fair career I would say. I think Singler will be an immediate contributor once he gets with the coaches on a daily basis. The same can be said for Smith. He might not have played the point before but I know for a fact he can. Someone told me in his recruitment he wanted a school that would give him the chance to play point because he thought be his position in the league. He will be just fine.

King I'm just going to have to wait and see about. Like his heart and skill but it just seems we need more not less athleticism.

Patrick Yates
03-29-2007, 11:34 AM
Sorry to rain on the love fest, but I am not super stoked by any of our recruits. Will they help (some)? Yes. Are there any answers to our inside problems? No. Not even PP, who did not impress me very much at all.

Singler looked good overall. Solid 6-9, and skinny. His passing and court awareness were very good, but we need him to be a scorer from day one. People are saying that he can take McBob's place on O, and then some, and perhaps they are right. KS will be a better defender than McBob. He may not be the shot blocker, but he plays better defense. He stays with his guy, anticipates passes, and denies the ball well. This is good, because the boy is skinny. Realistically, he needs 10-15 lbs at a minimum to be highly effective. It was not just his body, but his face. He had the cheekbones of an underfed teenage runway model from eastern europe. I will put this down to a long season ending, but he needs weight right away. He could easily put on 10-15 lbs and not lose any mobility, and he will need that weight to play in the ACC. I like his toughness and skill set, but he will have trouble against some of the bigger forwards in the ACC

To me, it was troubling that the West used him to guard the opponents best perimeter scorer. It is great that he can do it, but we need someone who can guard PFs, and the West coach was pretty careful to keep KS the heck away from true post players.

King...is what he is. I think the scouting reports on him are the most accurate that I have ever read. He is a tough, fearless, gunner. His stroke is good, and he looked remorseless, but he will have some trouble. But when he is on, he will be on. As he progresses, in 3-4 years, he will be on more than not.

His lack of athleticism will hurt him. Looking at his long 3s, I could not help but wonder if he was shooting so far out (where no coach would let a defender guard him, cause hey, no one, JJ included, will beat you from 7-10 feet beyond the ark) was because he knew he could get his shot off. I worry whether he can get his shot, especially with next year's team. With no true post to draw attention at Duke (barring development from current players) King may have trouble getting open. Also, who will he defend? Too slow for Wing guards, and some SFs and too small for bigs. Others on this board have questioned whether TK will (can) play the type of D that K demands in exchange for PT. It will not be for lack of effort, I will give him that much.

Smith looked OK. The break away dunk was nice, but it would have been nicer if he had been playing D or trying to rebound rather than Cherry Picking, a habit that I personally deplore above all others (not incl. dirty play) in basketball. The missed dunk was worryisome, but I think that was more a result of indecision as to whether or not he should pass the ball or shoot. Good D, reliable handle, decent shot, but I worry that he will not get a fair shake to supplant Paulus. Not saying he will, only that he might, just that K likes to play people who are in the system more than recruits, especially on the perimeter, regardless of talent.

Duke is deepest at his position. Nolan looked good, but whose minutes does he take?

This is the crux of my concerns. All three looked decent to good, with the definite potential for greatness, and Singler might even be an impact player, if he can gain a few lbs this summer. (Smith also, but he plays our deepest position, so I am unsure how much PT he gets next year). None of them address our current shallowness inside. There is little height, and no mass, coming in. We will be strong on the perimeter, but if the post is weak the perimeter gets much easier to guard. Also, none of the three really blew me away with their outside shooting, and KS and TK performed very poorly at the 3pt contest. These guys will help, no doubt, but none of our weaknesses were really addressed.

Also, PP is not a saviour, by any stretch of the imagination. Please erase any hope of a Shel or Boozer type frosh year, (nowhere near Brand). No way is the kid 6-8, and he looks closer to 6-7. Probably around 220-225, which does not make him a beast. He led the east with 3 blocks (the last one on Love was a foul, he fouled Love on the body, arm, and wrist, he actually got very little ball) and his offense was not impressive. He can be good, and in 3-4 years he will be very good, but he is not an immediate answer.

To me, it looks like K is rebuilding the the team over 2 years. Next year we should improve a little (or a lot if BZ and LT improve), but 2 years out we look good. With KS (who needs 2 years probably) more physically mature and comfortable with the offense, a solid, experienced, athletic core of 1s, 2s, and 3s, all we will really need is a studly post presence to be great. Not good, but great, up there with the all time great K teams. Greg Monroe, or even Drew Gooden (hopefully both) would be that prototypical K post player. Even if KS and GH are gone, there is enough talent to replace them, because K seems to be targeting an athletic wing in the same class as GM and DG. I think K recognizes the team's weaknesses, and is slowly addressing them.

If PP chooses another school (and I think he will), next year will be a solid to good year, with the team hopefully gelling late in the year for a Sweet 16 to elite eight run, with an eye towards greatness in 2009 and beyond. I would not want anything to happen that would spoil that.

If PP doesn't choose Duke, I almost expect Duke to accept 1-2 committments from Bigs in Jr class within a month of PP's decision.

non-sequitor to follow:
Next year might not be a return to Greatness, but I am starting to see K's master plan emerge. He wants a core of experienced guards and wings (Pg, Wg, and SF) to be in the program continuosly, along with capable backups in the post. Into this he will plug short term, possibly 1 and done, athletes in the post, and the stud wing when it is available. This is the type of team that wins championships.

Forcing HSers to go to college changed the game, and since it is only for 1 year, it did not help Duke. 1 and dones were not going to thrive in the teams that K had built under the old system, and it could not have happened in a worse year for Duke, with the graduations we suffered last year. When the announcement came down, K's class was all but full, or at least targeted (with K probably having ignored many of the presumed one-and-dones, cause why waste time), Wright was expected to committ, and we had a strong class of multi-year players just entering the system. That kind of Comp does not appeal to kids who want a one-and-done. Now that he is learing the system, K is begining to build teams that are attractive to the types of one-and-doners that are actually helpful to team success.

Now, we would all like for players to stay for many years (and we will only truly love those that do so), but that is not reality. But 1-and-done wings (unless named LeBron or Durant) are not really helpful. 1-and-done posts (which Durant really is in College, same with Carmello) are the center pieces of NC teams. Imagine a system, heavy with quality, experienced wings that can provide a lot of the scoring. If you are a top-flight post, you get to be what Oden is, a rebounding, shot blocking machine who only needs to score 10-12 a game while showing off your athleticism and potential for the scouts. You never have to carry a team scoring wise, which may not be possible for a team with NC expectations, but your stock does not go down. Even if your offense doesn't impress, scouts see your putbacks, rebounding, defense, and occaisional made jumper as mere portents of things to come. The mere presence of the stud post opens up passing, shooting, and driving lanes for the experienced wing players, alowing the wings to thrive.

The big-time post has a short stay in college, makes a deep tourney run, and goes pro to great fanfare.

Guys like Mayo, Gordon, and Rose we don't need. They are great, but I have serious doubts as to whether a guard will ever be talented enough to achieve team success as a freshman and then go pro. Not enough consistency at the most pivotal position in college.

Patrick Yates

PS the duke hate in this McD's blog is rough: Bite me loser, and good luck getting media access in 2 years at the FF

http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=630887

socaldukie
03-29-2007, 11:57 AM
the kid, Calathes, headed to FLA. He just seems to have great instincts. Knows where to be and is an outstanding shooter. Also good size for a guard. I'd like to see how he progresses in 2-3 years.

Classof06
03-29-2007, 12:00 PM

I'm anxiously awaiting PP's decision.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

As usual, Bob is spot on. I think Singler and Smith are the real deal. It is only one game, but they look good enough to start/play for Duke right now. IMO, Singler was both the smartest and smoothest player on the court all game and I was extremely impressed with his court IQ. Granted it is an all-star game, all three of our kids played well and, most importantly, played within themselves. Some players tend to force things in all-star games, especially when they see kids like Mayo "black-holing" it out there. But I was glad that none of our players tried to take over, instead playing off the flow of the game, and that's a testament to Krzyzewski getting kids he knows will fit in.

I do think King needs a little more work than the other two, but in no way does that damper my enthusiasm to have him on the squad; the kid is instant offense, something that was missing this year.

I was most impressed by Smith, because I think it's been a while since Duke has had a guard like him. I think he adequately answered his ability to handle Point Guard duties last night. You have to believe the pressure is on Paulus next year, and believe it or not, that's GREAT for our ballclub. I love the way he gets up and down the court, and his defense looked unusually strong for an all-star game, Singler as well.

Looking way farther ahead than I should, I had visions of Smith, Singler and Henderson on the floor together and got the chills. I feel like Duke is adding some really quality kids on top of an already promising group and the prospect of adding Patterson has to have all Duke fans with crossed fingers. Patterson would put an already phenomenal recruiting class way over the top and would leave Duke-haters with late-night ceiling stares for years to come.

All in all, I wish it were November 29th and not March 29th...

dukeENG2003
03-29-2007, 12:06 PM
whoever said that the McD's game doesn't mean much was right on. Not only was Danny Ferry not all that good, anybody remember how good Joey Beard looked? How'd that turn out?

JJweMISSu
03-29-2007, 12:08 PM
I know you can't base there skills all on an all-star game but...

Taylor King look pretty slow but did play hard def and tried for rebounds. He also has a long range.
Kyle Singler look very good. Great shot, atheltic, and played hard on def.
Nolan Smith look very athletic, but i most say i started laughing and was embarressed to say he was comming to DUKE when he missed that dunk. lol

dukestheheat
03-29-2007, 12:30 PM
ok folks, word on nolan smith: he's going to push for significant time at PG next year. explosive, athletic, can elevate and put sugar on it, penetrates for the lay up or dish, can play some D.................whoooo hooooo!

and, we do need mr. patterson to come to duke.

and lastly, singler is one serious offensive player but appears a bit slow-footed on D, imo.

LET'S GO DUKE!

dth.

gw67
03-29-2007, 12:40 PM
For the past couple of years, the local sportswriters who cover high school basetball in the DC area have been singing the praises of Beasley and some felt he was a better prospect than other locals, including Durant, Lawson and the Georgetown contingent. Last night he showed the inside-outside game that may make him next year's Durant.

By my count, there were five players who have committed to ACC schools. In addition to the three Duke players, they were Hickson who is going to NC State and Lawal who is going to Georgia Tech. I like the three Duke recruits, however, all three seemed to be most comfortable on the perimeter. I presumed that Singler would provide some needed size for next year but his game, both offense and defense, seemed better suited to play wing. King and Smith both had some good moments and I would expect them to come off the bench next year. Hickson and Lawal on the other hand were both inside players who didn't shy from contact, looked good and should have an impact next year.

gw67

dcarp23
03-29-2007, 01:07 PM
I like the three Duke recruits, however, all three seemed to be most comfortable on the perimeter. I presumed that Singler would provide some needed size for next year but his game, both offense and defense, seemed better suited to play wing. King and Smith both had some good moments and I would expect them to come off the bench next year.

Having only watched these guys play one game, I'd disagree with you re: King and Singler. Smith clearly is going to play on the perimeter, but there is no real argument there.

Singler looks like a guy who could fit in the McRoberts/Laettner/Parks role to me. He looked comfortable facing the basket, but had some nice moments as well where he posted his guy up and either shot or hit a cutter with a pass. He was 0-3 from three point range, but hit every other shot he took, including a 15 foot jumper that no one other than Paulus really hit for this year's team. He seems like an ideal guy to play the high post, and I'd imagine with his size he'll be serviceable down low as well.

King's strength appears to be his ability to knock down the three, but he had some auspicious rebounding numbers in high school (granted, so do a lot of people), and he showed a willingness to bang down low as well.

So those are my two cents, which are worth about that much.

johnb
03-29-2007, 01:14 PM
Re. aformentioned blog (http://story.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=2&c=630887)

I thought it was funny. My favorite:

"Hey, Kyle Singler is the only McDonald’s All-American to ever solve a Rubik’s Cube! That'll help late in the UNC game"

Goes back to the reality that a) if they're harping on our all-american players, at least they were selected for the game, and
b) they are only harping on them because they are going to the best overall program in the country.

Hector Vector
03-29-2007, 01:54 PM
I know there are personality issues, but the most interesting, exciting player on the court to me was Kevin Love -- his outlet passes were unreal.

After early entries (Oden, Durant, B. Wright, Noah, Horford, Brewer, Jeff Green), UCLA will be No. 1 pre-season team, even if they lose Affalo, which I don't think is a given.

MChambers
03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
Greg Monroe, or even Drew Gooden (hopefully both) would be that prototypical K post player. Even if KS and GH are gone, there is enough talent to replace them, because K seems to be targeting an athletic wing in the same class as GM and DG.

How much eligibility does Gooden have left? Seemed like he played about 3 years at Kansas. ;)

feldspar
03-29-2007, 02:37 PM
_______ looked so good last night/during the 3pt. contest/during the dunk contest. Why didn't Coach K recruit him? We're going to suck next year.

Just thought I'd get that out of the way.

imagepro
03-29-2007, 03:25 PM
Everyone goes to games to see Karl Hess, not the student athletes. Think not? Just ask Karl, he'll tell you himself, "I'm the star, not the kids. Everyone comes to see MEEEEEEEE, it's just MEEEEEEE!"

No wait---- was that Teddy Valentine?

Well, what the heck is the difference??????? :D

Boston Dukie
03-29-2007, 04:29 PM
I think Patrik Yates hits the nail on the head on the master plan point. It will take 2 years for this team to be great, and next year will definitely be a rebuilidng year. I am more positive than Patrick on Singler, Smith and Patterson and think they can all be good from the get go, but definitely agree with it being a 2 year process.

That being said, I think coack K would be crazy not to favor the younger players with more upside.

To me this means sacrificing minutes for Paulus, McClure, Scheyer, Pocius, and even Nelson (who I love) in favor of the freshman, Henderson, Thomas and Zoubek.

Boston Dukie
03-29-2007, 04:34 PM
Yeah, think of the following strting 5 2 years out:

Smith - PG
Singler - WF
Henderson - SG
Patterson - SF
and anyone else (maybe one of the bigs on the recruiting list)

That is a nice group.

I think Singler will be a star. He has a scorer's mindset and is very aggressive, and very smooth. Ever time he got the ball, even if he didn't shoot, he looked to make things happen and be aggressive. Looked very qucik compared to all the other 6-8 or taller players.

watzone
03-29-2007, 05:14 PM
I hear people saying they think PP will go elswewhere, but I never hear why they feel this way.

JasonEvans
03-29-2007, 06:25 PM
I don't know, but I love Taylor's confidence. He definitely believes he is never going to miss. He just shot a 28 footer, missed badly, got the rebound two seconds later, and jacked up another three-ball. Cash. No conscious. I love it!!!

You are aware that there is no such thng as a bad shot in these All-star games, right? OJ "hey, I hit about 25% of my shots-- not bad" Mayo showed you that.

-Jason "trying to figure out who is good and who is not from that game is worthless" Evans

JasonEvans
03-29-2007, 06:30 PM
I hear people saying they think PP will go elswewhere, but I never hear why they feel this way.

Because they are guessing and are pessimistic about Duke right now.

I feel very good about us getting PP...

-Jason "...and Greg Monroe soon after" Evans

CMS2478
03-29-2007, 08:36 PM

Watzone,

Is there any truth to this about narrowing it to just 2 now? (Duke and Florida) If he has supposedly cut Kentucky out he could still reconsider if Donovan goes to UK right? If not then everything I hear says Florida is leading.........so many rumors so few facts. I know you can't give us too much bc of your site and all, but is there anything you have that might enlighten us "anxious fans." Patterson might not be our savior, but without him I think we are very weak in the post next year. :(

VTBaller03
03-30-2007, 10:50 AM
I saw this quote from PP. It doesn't look good for us...Freudian slip perhaps?

C-J: How big of an influence will your mom and dad have in the decision?

Patterson: They’ll have an influence on me no matter where I go because they’ve said they’re going to follow me. If I go to Florida, they’re moving to Gainesville. No matter where it’s going to be they’re going to be there. They have said base the decision on me because it’s my decision and it’s the college I’m going to attend.

BlueDevilBaby
03-30-2007, 11:44 AM
That quote made me a little nervous.:confused:

Troublemaker
03-30-2007, 12:05 PM
Heh. I read that statement as an emphasis of his point, not an indication of where he's leaning. He could've just as easily said, "If I go to the moon, my parents will follow me there" (if he wanted to use hyperbole). Florida just happened to be the school recruiting him that is farthest away, and so he used Gainesveill as the example.

We're probably at that point where we're a bit too obsessed with what a teenager says. Take a step back and wait for him to cut his list to three.

Classof06
03-30-2007, 12:28 PM

Patterson: They’ll have an influence on me no matter where I go because they’ve said they’re going to follow me. If I go to Florida, they’re moving to Gainesville. No matter where it’s going to be they’re going to be there. They have said base the decision on me because it’s my decision and it’s the college I’m going to attend.

That means absolutely nothing. That just happened to be the school he used and I wouldn't feel any more or less confident in getting PP if he had used Duke in place of Florida and Durham in place of Gainesville. I agree, people are reading waaay too far in to every word this kids says. Let's just wait and see...

Clipsfan
03-30-2007, 12:43 PM

I guess a concern of mine is whether schools are looking to help PP's parents with jobs after they move. I'd like to think that Duke wouldn't do such a thing, although I know that Duke haters point to a situation or two in which parents moved and received jobs associated with Duke (as most are in the area). If Duke doesn't do anything improper, as I would expect them not to do, in contrast I would expect FLA to offer something. I obviously don't have much respect for the SEC's ethics. I don't know what impact that would have on PP, but I would imagine that his parents would like to know that they would have cushy jobs while PP was in school.