PDA

View Full Version : The Duke Effect

Olympic Fan
10-05-2008, 12:04 PM
I was thinking about Virginia's remarkable turnaround -- from a 31-3 loss to Duke to a 31-0 victory over Maryland in one week's time when it struck me -- every team Duke has played so far has excelled after playing Duke.

Obviously, Virginia's victory over Maryland is one example.

But Navy followed its loss to Duke with a victory over No. 16 Wake Forest (in Winston-Salem) the next week -- its first victory over a ranked team in more than a decade. And they followed that with a victory at Air Force, the chief rival for the CinC Trophy, last Saturday night.

Northwestern followed is narrow win at Duke by beating Southern Illinois. They followed that with a victory over Ohio, then a road win at Iowa.

James Madison bounced back from its loss to Duke in the opener to rout North Carolina Central. They followed that up with a victory over UMass, then an upset of defending 1-AA national champion App State. They've since added two more wins, a close one over Maine and a 56-0 rout of Hofstra.

That means that not only have the first four teams to play Duke all won the next week, they've gone a combined 11-0 since playing Duke.

It will be interesting to see if the Duke Effect continues -- I'm pretty sure Georgia Tech will follow its Duke win with a victory over Gardner Webb!

davekay1971
10-05-2008, 12:22 PM
Or, since Ga Tech thoroughly dominated us (formerdukeathlete would like to add: entirely because of our diminutive qb and Cut's coaching incompetence and lack of understanding of the qb position), perhaps the Yellow Jackets will suffer the flip side of the Duke Effect, and fall on their faces in front of mighty Gardner-Webb...

OZZIE4DUKE
10-05-2008, 07:47 PM
I was thinking about Virginia's remarkable turnaround -- from a 31-3 loss to Duke to a 31-0 victory over Maryland in one week's time when it struck me -- every team Duke has played so far has excelled after playing Duke.

Obviously, Virginia's victory over Maryland is one example.

But Navy followed its loss to Duke with a victory over No. 16 Wake Forest (in Winston-Salem) the next week -- its first victory over a ranked team in more than a decade. And they followed that with a victory at Air Force, the chief rival for the CinC Trophy, last Saturday night.

Northwestern followed is narrow win at Duke by beating Southern Illinois. They followed that with a victory over Ohio, then a road win at Iowa.

James Madison bounced back from its loss to Duke in the opener to rout North Carolina Central. They followed that up with a victory over UMass, then an upset of defending 1-AA national champion App State. They've since added two more wins, a close one over Maine and a 56-0 rout of Hofstra.

That means that not only have the first four teams to play Duke all won the next week, they've gone a combined 11-0 since playing Duke.

It will be interesting to see if the Duke Effect continues -- I'm pretty sure Georgia Tech will follow its Duke win with a victory over Gardner Webb!

I think that points out that our defense is severely underrated.

Bob Green
10-06-2008, 05:35 AM

The best part of this phenomenon, were it to continue, is that we play UNC the last game of the season. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
10-06-2008, 08:58 AM
The best part of this phenomenon, were it to continue, is that we play UNC the last game of the season. :D

Bob, I am not sure I get your drift here? You want carolina to win their bowl game after we beat them? Surely I like the beating them part, but ...

Bob Green
10-06-2008, 03:33 PM
Bob, I am not sure I get your drift here? You want carolina to win their bowl game after we beat them? Surely I like the beating them part, but ...

What I'm saying is Carolina would receive the least amount of good fortune, of any of our opponents, from the Duke Effect. The bowl game win is an unfortunate side effect.

On a more seroious note, Olympic Fan's post points out that the teams on the early part of our schedule are playing good football, which plays into us looking good in rankings such as Sagarin where we are currently #43.

Bob Green
10-11-2008, 10:10 PM
With Minnesota defeating Northwestern 37-20, Duke's opponents are now a combined 15-1 since playing Duke. Their record is 23-8 overall. This week:

1. James Madison defeated Richmond 38-31 (6-0 since playing Duke).
2. NW lost to Minnesota 37-20 (3-1 since playing Duke).
3. Navy had a bye week (3-0 since playing Duke).
4. Virginia defeated East Carolina 35-20 (2-0 since playing Duke).
5. Georgia Tech defeated Gardner-Webb 10-7 (1-0 since playing Duke).

devildeac
10-11-2008, 11:00 PM
With Minnesota defeating Northwestern 37-20, Duke's opponents are now a combined 15-1 since playing Duke. Their record is 23-8 overall. This week:

Interesting question about the NW-Minn. score: Is Ted Roof the DC for the Gophers or simply one of the defensive coaches now?

jimsumner
10-11-2008, 11:04 PM
I think Georgia Tech pretty much torpedoed the Duke effect.

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-11-2008, 11:30 PM
Interesting question about the NW-Minn. score: Is Ted Roof the DC for the Gophers or simply one of the defensive coaches now?

Ted is the defensive coordinator for Minnesota.

kinghoops
10-12-2008, 12:31 AM

didnt northwestern lose to michigan state today???/

Bob Green
10-12-2008, 01:29 AM
didnt northwestern lose to michigan state today???/

You are correct. Minnesota defeated Illinois and Michigan State defeated Northwestern. Therefore,

With Michigan State defeating Northwestern 37 -20,

captmojo
10-12-2008, 05:13 AM
All coincidence, I think. I believe there is an after-effect of a loss after playing some very hard-hitting teams, whether or not you won the game against said "hard-hitting" team. Your team can get so black and blue after such a game that full healing has not been achieved to be properly prepared to perform at your best against your next opponent.