PDA

View Full Version : Henderson, Singler : Top draft prospects in the ACC

ForeverBlowingBubbles
10-05-2008, 11:58 AM
http://www.draftexpress.com/article/Top-NBA-Draft-Prospects-in-the-ACC--Part-One-1-5--3015/

MarkD83
10-05-2008, 02:36 PM
why isn't Duke preseason number 1.

Heelo
10-05-2008, 02:43 PM
Wow, just goes to show how down the ACC is lately in terms of pro prospects.

Freshmen aside, Gerald Henderson is the only player between the Duke and UNC rosters that's a probable NBA starter (in my eyes).

mo.st.dukie
10-05-2008, 04:32 PM
Freshmen aside, Gerald Henderson is the only player between the Duke and UNC rosters that's a probable NBA starter (in my eyes).

Seriously? Kyle Singler is the perfect NBA "3" especially with the strength that he's supposedly added. I think this season will have NBA scouts drooling over Kyle kinda like they were for Joe Alexander.

FireOgilvie
10-05-2008, 05:10 PM
Seriously? Kyle Singler is the perfect NBA "3" especially with the strength that he's supposedly added. I think this season will have NBA scouts drooling over Kyle kinda like they were for Joe Alexander.

Joe Alexander is 10 times more athletic than Singler.

bhd28
10-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Wouldn't LBJ be the "perfect" NBA "3"?

BlueintheFace
10-05-2008, 05:20 PM

well said

mo.st.dukie
10-05-2008, 05:57 PM

Kyle's athleticism is very underrated but he's also one of the smartest players you will see. He just understands the game so well plus he has a very good outside shot. The only knock on him from most scouts last year was his strength but he's apparently got that fixed.

mo.st.dukie
10-05-2008, 05:59 PM

Well, many criticize Lebron's shooting ability but he can play just about any posiition not just the "3".

BlueintheFace
10-05-2008, 06:37 PM
Well, many criticize Lebron's shooting ability but he can play just about any posiition not just the "3".

I certainly do not criticize his shooting ability ... actually, I don't know anybody who criticizes it. I have, however, heard some say that he is not the best all-around shooter in the league since that Kobe guy is still playing. I'm not sure if this qualifies as criticism though.

On another note, am I the only one who hates reading stuff like this. I want our players to be called "amazing college players, but not good fits for the NBA." That way we can do well in march AND keep these guys around another year before they surprise everyone in the NBA with their dominance after graduating. This scenario is one of the very few legit reasons to be envious of Carolina this year.

brevity
10-05-2008, 07:18 PM
I think this season will have NBA scouts drooling over Kyle kinda like they were for Joe Alexander.

Maybe, but the quantity (in fluid ounces or whatever) of scouting drool does not translate into league performance. Joe Alexander might be a nice pick on paper -- though at #8 I would question even that -- but it's a guarantee of nothing.

I think Kyle will find his place in the pros, but I'm not ready to label him a starting 3 for an NBA team. Scouts may disagree with me, but it's their job to get excited about who's new and overstate his value.

mo.st.dukie
10-05-2008, 07:46 PM
I think Kyle will find his place in the pros, but I'm not ready to label him a starting 3 for an NBA team. Scouts may disagree with me, but it's their job to get excited about who's new and overstate his value.

Well I'm not saying as of right now he is ready to be a starter in the NBA, I just think he has the potential and the physical tools to grab the scout's attention. Of course scouts attention doesn't mean the player's going to leave, in fact IMO Kyle will be here at least through his junior year, possibly his senior year. But my point is that he certainly is one of the top players in the ACC that has significant NBA potential and may realize that potential this season.

Blueintheface, you better get used to reading stuff like this because if you have great college players there's always going to be talk about them leaving early. Even J.J. and Sheldon had talk surrounding them about possibly leaving after their junior year. Most of the time, if a player is highly successful in March there will be talk about them leaving, unfortunately that's just the way it is.

MChambers
10-05-2008, 07:52 PM
Well I'm not saying as of right now he is ready to be a starter in the NBA, I just think he has the potential and the physical tools to grab the scout's attention. Of course scouts attention doesn't mean the player's going to leave, in fact IMO Kyle will be here at least through his junior year, possibly his senior year. But my point is that he certainly is one of the top players in the ACC that has significant NBA potential and may realize that potential this season.

Blueintheface, you better get used to reading stuff like this because if you have great college players there's always going to be talk about them leaving early. Even J.J. and Sheldon had talk surrounding them about possibly leaving after their junior year. Most of the time, if a player is highly successful in March there will be talk about them leaving, unfortunately that's just the way it is.

Sheldon who? Did he play with Reddick?

phaedrus
10-05-2008, 07:55 PM
I certainly do not criticize his shooting ability ... actually, I don't know anybody who criticizes it. I have, however, heard some say that he is not the best all-around shooter in the league since that Kobe guy is still playing. I'm not sure if this qualifies as criticism though.

I shouldn't contribute to this thread-hijack, but Lebron is a pretty inconsistent jump shooter from outside 15 feet (although he has shot the ball well in international play). This probably has a lot to do with technique, and it's why teams can successfully defend him in the playoffs by packing the lane. When he does shoot the ball well from outside, he has games like the Pistons playoff game two years back or the last game in the Celtics series last year. If he shot the ball as well as Kobe, he could easily average 40 points per game because he is much better around the basket.

Edit: I don't mean to suggest Lebron isn't the ideal NBA three - he's not a guard, so excellent outside shooting is just icing on the cake.

6th Man
10-05-2008, 08:19 PM
I have seen Kyle at the football games. If he has increased his strength a lot I must be The Incredible Hulk. For those of you that haven't seen him this year, I think the bulk is a lot of hype. However, bulk or not, I expecta big year. I'm sure he is stronger, but it doesn't show on his frame.

VaDukie
10-05-2008, 08:50 PM
I have seen Kyle at the football games. If he has increased his strength a lot I must be The Incredible Hulk. For those of you that haven't seen him this year, I think the bulk is a lot of hype. However, bulk or not, I expecta big year. I'm sure he is stronger, but it doesn't show on his frame.

He looked noticeably bigger in the pro-am.

Edouble
10-05-2008, 09:21 PM

You are crazy. Alexander is a little more athletic than Kyle, but not even two times, much less ten.

BobbyFan
10-05-2008, 10:48 PM
You are crazy. Alexander is a little more athletic than Kyle, but not even two times, much less ten.

Agreed. I would put it at 1.18.

BlueintheFace
10-05-2008, 11:12 PM

Thank you for your concern, but I am very used to reading stuff like this. I am actually very aware of "the way it is." I just said I don't like it very much.

Jumbo
10-05-2008, 11:50 PM

I wouldn't go that far. And Singler is 10 times more skilled than Alexander. Pro scouts like him a lot; I know this for a fact.

Ignatius07
10-06-2008, 12:06 AM
Singler is much more skilled than Joe Alexander, but JA is considerably more athletic. Not 10x as athletic, obviously, but enough so I would call Singler an average athlete for a college 4, while Alexander is off the charts.

Still, this is one of those things where you want our guys to be just bad enough not to declare (unless of course we win the title, then all bets are off, and for good reason).

FireOgilvie
10-06-2008, 12:37 AM
I didn't mean that Alexander is literally 10 times stronger and faster than Singler. I hope the people that responded to that weren't serious.

I know everyone here is viewing this through blue tinted glasses, but Joe Alexander is a freak athlete while Kyle Singler is above average at best. Alexander is faster, stronger, and jumps a lot higher than Singler. If you don't believe me then check out the pre-draft workouts from last year. His numbers are off the charts (especially for a guy his size). Given that, Singler is obviously incredibly skilled and has a great feel for the game. I'm not trying to say anything negative about Singler; Alexander is just that awesome.

Oh, and he dominated Singler in the NCAA tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=284000044

Edouble
10-06-2008, 12:40 AM
I didn't mean that Alexander is literally 10 times stronger and faster than Singler. I hope the people that responded to that weren't serious.

Yeah, I was. I'm pretty literal.

RainingThrees
10-06-2008, 12:53 AM

I know everyone here is viewing this through blue tinted glasses, but Joe Alexander is a freak athlete while Kyle Singler is above average at best. Alexander is faster, stronger, and jumps a lot higher than Singler. If you don't believe me then check out the pre-draft workouts from last year. His numbers are off the charts (especially for a guy his size). Given that, Singler is obviously incredibly skilled and has a great feel for the game. I'm not trying to say anything negative about Singler; Alexander is just that awesome.

Oh, and he dominated Singler in the NCAA tournament.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=284000044

He did dominate Singler but Singler had also hit the wall by tourney time. Even if Singler was healthy I think he still would have lost that matchup his freshmen year.

MChambers
10-06-2008, 08:03 AM
It's funny, I must be watching a different game than most of you. Of all the ACC returning players, I see Singler as having the best pro potential.

phaedrus
10-06-2008, 10:26 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=284000044[/url]

I don't remember that game. I think you just made it up.

RainingThrees
10-06-2008, 11:05 AM
It's funny, I must be watching a different game than most of you. Of all the ACC returning players, I see Singler as having the best pro potential.

I agree because singler is a good nba type 3 that can score inside and outside. Gerald is kind of stuck between a 2 and 3 until his range increases and his ball handling gets better.

COYS
10-06-2008, 01:06 PM
I agree because singler is a good nba type 3 that can score inside and outside. Gerald is kind of stuck between a 2 and 3 until his range increases and his ball handling gets better.

I agree. Right now, Gerald's got an NBA SF's game in a SG's body. That said, if his ball handling and shooting range improve as we all hope they will, his athleticism can carry him a long way and hopefully bring him success in the league.

SilkyJ
10-06-2008, 03:23 PM

I agree, and I think by the end of this year many others will as well.

I don't think its any secret that these days scouts/GMs are placing a serious premium on upside potential, which often correlates directly with athleticism. So I also understand why they would think Gerald is a better prospect at this point. Perhaps even more to the point, I can see a smart GM or two drafting Singler early, but I can see any number of GMs going after Gerald super early just b/c the guy can do a chin-up on the rim with his vertical.

Carlos
10-06-2008, 03:35 PM
why isn't Duke preseason number 1.

Take your pick:

Because basketball is played with more than just 2 players.

....OR....

Because college basketball is a different game than pro basketball.

COYS
10-06-2008, 04:21 PM

I don't think its any secret that these days scouts/GMs are placing a serious premium on upside potential, which often correlates directly with athleticism. So I also understand why they would think Gerald is a better prospect at this point. Perhaps even more to the point, I can see a smart GM or two drafting Singler early, but I can see any number of GMs going after Gerald super early just b/c the guy can do a chin-up on the rim with his vertical.

I completely agree. The attitude is often to take a shot in the dark at getting the next Michael Jordan or Lebron James. Obviously, to have a chance of being as good as those guys you have to have the athleticism. But in order to get that far, there are usually so many "if's" associated with a prospect. They'll be like Jordan if they develop their ball handling, shooting, passing, court awareness, focus, defensive intensity, leadership ability . . . Most of the time, if you draft the guy that already has the ball handling ability, shooting, passing, court awareness, etc even if they aren't as athletic as one of the raw players, you have a better chance of knowing exactly what you're getting. If Singler does slip in the draft (whenever he decides to go), I could totally see a smart GM of a playoff team laughing out loud if he slips into the late teens or 20's. A skilled and multi-talented player like Singler would be the perfect compliment to a play-off team trying to get over the top.

Jeffrey
10-06-2008, 05:18 PM

Hi,

I think Gerald and Kyle will both surprise many this season. IMO, Gerald will benefit greatly from Nelson's departure due to the strong similarities in their offensive game. I hope both are healthy all season, so we can truly see their capabilities.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

moonpie23
10-06-2008, 08:41 PM
draft pick is bogus -

lest we forget...

kwame brown

nay.......Joe Forte

and of course....let's not forget Carlos "slipping to the second round "boozer..

Heelo
10-06-2008, 08:42 PM

My view on Singler is that, as a pro prospect he doesn't bring anything that Battier doesn't and does a number of things (defense and rebounding, specifically) significantly worse. So then I as myself "If Shane Battier played sub-par defense and didn't defend well, would he be an NBA starter?" In my mind, the answer is clearly "No."

Now I understand that many will point out that Singler is much more capable of putting the ball on the floor and will claim that that potentially provides him a mid-range game that Battier lacks. But my view is that the NBA game is so strong and so quick that Singler will have an extremely difficult time getting around bigger, faster defenders and getting his shot off before help arrives.

We'll see, though.

MChambers
10-06-2008, 09:03 PM
My view on Singler is that, as a pro prospect he doesn't bring anything that Battier doesn't and does a number of things (defense and rebounding, specifically) significantly worse. So then I as myself "If Shane Battier played sub-par defense and didn't defend well, would he be an NBA starter?" In my mind, the answer is clearly "No."

Now I understand that many will point out that Singler is much more capable of putting the ball on the floor and will claim that that potentially provides him a mid-range game that Battier lacks. But my view is that the NBA game is so strong and so quick that Singler will have an extremely difficult time getting around bigger, faster defenders and getting his shot off before help arrives.

We'll see, though.

Would you rate any returning player in the ACC as a better NBA prospect?

Heelo
10-06-2008, 09:44 PM

Assuming Henderson's game continues to improve incrementally, I see no reason that he won't be a Maggette-lite with a much better attitude. Hey, Morris Peterson started a few seasons in the NBA, and I think Henderson has a comparable skill-set and is a much better athlete.

The only issue that Henderson has is that being 6-4 basically forces him to play 2G in the the pros, which is easily the most competitive position in the league. He's going to have to shoot better than 31% from 3 (and that's his average from the college line) in order to start.

Other than that, there's nobody that I can see who's going to be an NBA starter. I've explained my reasoning on Singler above. Ellington is way too inconsistent a shooter, has no penetration game, and is a probable liability on defense. Hansbrough's lack of quickness and inability to pass out of the post have been exposed in every one of UNC's post-season losses. Lawson can't shoot, is an average passer, and is an unwilling defender.

Nobody else is even in the conversation as far as I'm concerned.

Then again, there's probably some bigman somewhere in the league who'll start a season as a big body on a terrible team.

throatybeard
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
Maybe, but the quantity (in fluid ounces or whatever) of scouting drool does not translate into league performance.

Well said. x10 for recruiting sites. x100 for internet bulletin board posters.

Edouble
10-06-2008, 11:10 PM

We'll see, though.

The thing that this argument is missing is that you are not comparing freshman Shane to freshman Singler. Do that, and you have a much different situation. Singler was asked to do far more offensively and defensively than Battier was ever asked to do as a freshman. Last year, we needed Singler to be a star freshman, whereas we only asked Battier to be a key role player his first year. Had Battier been asked to carry the load that Kyle did last year, I would not speculate that he would have done any better.

Edouble
10-06-2008, 11:16 PM
Hi,

I think Gerald and Kyle will both surprise many this season. IMO, Gerald will benefit greatly from Nelson's departure due to the strong similarities in their offensive game. I hope both are healthy all season, so we can truly see their capabilities.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

Dear Jeffrey,

I really don't think that Nelson and Henderson's offensive games are that alike. Henderson will surely benefit from Nelson's departure, as the two play essentially the same position, and Henderson will inherit many of the shots that Nelson won't be around to take. That said, I don't really see the two as having similar skill sets. As far as suprise goes, I think it would only be a suprise if Singler and Hendo did not produce, so I hope this is not the supris you are referring to.

Yours,
Edouble

Jeffrey
10-07-2008, 11:30 AM
Dear Jeffrey,

I really don't think that Nelson and Henderson's offensive games are that alike. Henderson will surely benefit from Nelson's departure, as the two play essentially the same position, and Henderson will inherit many of the shots that Nelson won't be around to take. That said, I don't really see the two as having similar skill sets. As far as suprise goes, I think it would only be a suprise if Singler and Hendo did not produce, so I hope this is not the supris you are referring to.

Yours,
Edouble

Hi Edouble,

I think Nelson and Henderson have the ability to create their own shots, a quick first step, slashing skills, the desire/ability to take the ball to the hoop, and a desire to have the ball come crunch time.

As far as surprise goes, I really meant more of surprising the nation than surprising the DBR community. I think Kyle and Gerald are going to have awesome seasons, if they stay healthy.

Best regards,
Jeffrey

JasonEvans
10-07-2008, 11:59 AM

Returning ACC player? Hmmm. I honestly think Lawson and Hasbro might both be as good NBA prospects as Henderson. I am amazed that everyone downplays Hasbro's potential. The dude is a beast at the college level. Sure, some aspects of his game may not translate perfectly to the pros but I am convinced he will be a starter and a 14&8 PF for someone in the next few years.

I do not, by the way, think that any of the above mentioned players are the top NBA prospects in the ACC this coming season. That honor goes to Al-Farouq Aminu of Wake Forest. He has SF skills but PF size and really long arms. He is a physical freak and stands 6-9, which is something the NBA really, really values. He will be a high lottery pick when he turns pro.

--Jason "I cannot understand why folks are not higher on Wake-- they may have as much future NBA talent as Duke or UNC this season" Evans

Classof06
10-07-2008, 12:09 PM
Wow, just goes to show how down the ACC is lately in terms of pro prospects.

Agreed. I think Gerald is going to be a very good NBA player but outside of him, I don't see anyone between the two teams that really jumps out at me as having NBA "written all over them". The Singler/Joe Alexander comparison is terrible; Singler is probably more skilled but Alexander is much, much more athletic than Singler.

And to say Singler is a better pro prospect than Henderson is crazy talk. I think Singler will be a solid NBA player but with that being said, he's only played one year so we'll have to see how he develops.

Are you saying right now that Singler is capable of guarding 3s in the NBA? Think about that. Again, he's only 19 years old but I would not ask Singler to guard most starting 3s in the NBA. And if he gets worn down guarding 5's in college, he's going to have a load of trouble guarding 4s in the NBA. You can talk about Gerald being a 'tweener but I don't think Singler's in a much different boat.

This is why I think Singler is definitely a 4-year player. And I'm very, very happy about that.

Wander
10-07-2008, 12:13 PM
--Jason "I cannot understand why folks are not higher on Wake-- they may have as much future NBA talent as Duke or UNC this season" Evans

Yes. Third best team to me, significantly ahead of VT, Clemson, and Miami.

skitelz
10-07-2008, 08:45 PM
Returning ACC player? Hmmm. I honestly think Lawson and Hasbro might both be as good NBA prospects as Henderson. I am amazed that everyone downplays Hasbro's potential. The dude is a beast at the college level. Sure, some aspects of his game may not translate perfectly to the pros but I am convinced he will be a starter and a 14&8 PF for someone in the next few years.

Lawson might me a better NBA prospect than Hendo, but Hansblo never will. No parts of his game translate to the league. He has almost completely maxed out his potential. He is a small (yes, small) power forward who gets most of his points off debateable pivot foot moves and an unfathomable ability to hit awkward shots. Oh, and a weird lovefest with the refs that results in calls that should never be. In the NBA, he will get eaten for lunch. The refs aren't as friendly in the league, he will get travel calls called on him, and those weak awkward shots that should never go in will get the I'm a real wanker for saying thisI'm a real wanker for saying thisI'm a real wanker for saying thisI'm a real wanker for saying thise blocked out of them. Some say he has range on his shot. I have yet to see this range when he has a defender in his face. Sure, he can hit open ones. He won't get open ones in the NBA. Yes, I think he has an outstanding motor and he rebounds pretty well. He plays average defense for a college player and the type pf players he has trouble guarding (slashers, and athletic big men) are very previlent (sp.) at his position. Every day he will be going up against the types of players that he can't guard well. At this point, unless he develops an outstanding jump-shooting ability and gains defensive abilities, he will never be more than a Leon Powe, Paul Milsap player. Someone who can come in a give you minutes, fouls, rebounds, and a few post moves. If Gerald gains a solid three pointer, he has the athletic ability to be close to the Kobe Bryant, Dwayne Wade level.

RainingThrees
10-07-2008, 08:52 PM
Hansbrough also will have to learn to dribble in addition to shooting if he wants to be any good. You can't keep sending the ball into the low post to an undersized 4.

COYS
10-08-2008, 10:46 AM
Hansblo's defense (or lack thereof) will be exposed as well. He has a very short wingspan for an NBA 4 which means that his already small block totals will go down even more. For him to have success in the NBA, he will have to use his motor and his soft touch around the basket to score lots of points to make up for all the points he will give up at the other end of the court. I agree with Jason that he can be a solid NBA player because of his motor, but he will have to learn to adjust his game

Lawson, in my opinion, will also have size issues. He's got some nice physical tools and his dribble is low and quick. However, his quickness doesn't translate very well to the defensive end and he's overly reliant on his strong hand on the offensive end. Like Henderson, Lawson's got to prove that he's skilled enough to overcome his lack of size for position.

Of course, we'll learn a lot more about both Lawson and Henderson this year. Both players have also battled injuries/conditioning issues for a lot of their careers, so if both have healthy years this season, we can really see what they can do. I think Hansbrough has already shown what he can do.

RainingThrees
10-08-2008, 11:06 AM
I would compare lawson to Jameer Nelson. Inconsistant and struggling with his lack of size.

Kedsy
10-08-2008, 01:07 PM
I would compare lawson to Jameer Nelson. Inconsistant and struggling with his lack of size.

I'm not loving this comparison. Jameer Nelson was the consensus NCAA national player of the year his senior season. He carried a mid-major team to an undefeated regular season, a #1 national ranking and an Elite Eight appearance. He was a lot stronger than Lawson and a much better shooter and scorer. And in college he was very consistent.

I think Lawson is faster and quicker than Jameer, which may make him the better pro point guard. It's hard to say, though. They're very different players. IMO, the only similarity is size.

RainingThrees
10-08-2008, 02:43 PM
I'm talking pro's not college. In the pros Jameer is very inconsistant for the magic and can score 25 and have 11 assists one night while having 4 points and 1 assist another. This speaks bad for lawson since he isn't close to the player Jameer was in college.

jimsumner
10-08-2008, 03:17 PM
"This speaks bad for lawson since he isn't close to the player Jameer was in college."

Who is?

BTW, want to compare Nelson's NBA career so far with that of Duke's most recent college NPOY? Didn't think so.

RainingThrees
10-08-2008, 04:16 PM
Jameer is much more athletic than JJ and has actually been given playing time. Its hard to compare a player that plays to one that doesn't.

Diddy
10-08-2008, 04:22 PM

I do not, by the way, think that any of the above mentioned players are the top NBA prospects in the ACC this coming season. That honor goes to Al-Farouq Aminu of Wake Forest. He has SF skills but PF size and really long arms. He is a physical freak and stands 6-9, which is something the NBA really, really values. He will be a high lottery pick when he turns pro.

You make a valid point about the quanity of NBA talent at WFU, but I am not sure how that will translate this year. By my figuring, WFU has 2 C's, 1 PF-C, and 2 PF-SF guys capable of playing pro ball. Basically, I feel that WFU's best five players all should spend time in the post. I am not nearly as sold on their PG, SG, and WF positions. Johnson and Aminu can play some SF, but they will also play some PF. Someone has to get them the ball, and I am still not sold on their PG. He is too inconsistent.

While WFU has as much, and may well have more, NBA talent than UNC or Duke, they do not have parts that mesh well. I really see a NCSU situation from last year, where the best new guys play the same positions as the best old guys. Chemistry may be a concern. And they need to win a big game outside Forsyth County before the get a lot of press.

As for Gerald, I really see him being a dynamic player who very few ACC teams will be able to guard. Few teams have the perimeter presence to stay with him, and few teams have the shot blocker who can deter him from attacking. He might have monster numbers (for a player on a well balanced team) that are inflated by the lack of good defenders this year. Whereas there are plenty of guys that can give Singler a run for his money.

I really don't see how Gerald isn't a Lottery Lock right now. The only question is how high he will go. A great year could easily push him into the upper half of the lottery, and if that is the case he should go. As for Singler, unless he is in much better shape (not that he was in bad shape) he will be here for another year, unless this year's draft is less of a wasteland than it currently appears.

I think that is the true X-factor with early entry this year. This draft is so far down from the last two that guys who would've had no shot of getting drafted at all for the last two years are now first round garuantees. I have no idea what will happen, and I doubt anyone else, anywhere, does.

jimsumner
10-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Yea, you're right. Redick has played 899 minutes for Orlando over the last two seasons. Nelson has played 4,292 for the same team. But that doesn't say anything about their relative NBA careers.

But we can dismiss the NBA potential of Ty Lawson because he and Jameer Nelson bear some superficial similarities.