PDA

View Full Version : Dog gone it

Pages : [1] 2

Lavabe
10-04-2008, 10:53 PM
So we're finally in a position to break down and get a dog. We're looking to get a specific breed... which has led to a series of arguments that that have left ILJ and me at an impasse. She wants a smallish cocker spaniel type dog; I'm leaning towards a Samoyed. Legacy Lady (12 yr old) will go with anything that's a puppy. And of course she said that she would feed it and walk it.:rolleyes:

How does one go about getting a specific breed of dog? Are there specific web sites we should go to?

Many thanks,
Lavabe

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-04-2008, 11:10 PM
So we're finally in a position to break down and get a dog. We're looking to get a specific breed... which has led to a series of arguments that that have left ILJ and me at an impasse. She wants a smallish cocker spaniel type dog; I'm leaning towards a Samoyed. Legacy Lady (12 yr old) will go with anything that's a puppy. And of course she said that she would feed it and walk it.:rolleyes:

How does one go about getting a specific breed of dog? Are there specific web sites we should go to?

Many thanks,
Lavabe

Go to the American Kennel Club's web site. http://www.akc.org/ You can find a list of breeders for each breed as well as helpful information about each individual breed. Read whatever owners have to say about a particular breed to learn more about whether it's the right one fro you. I've found helpful comments about temperament and typical health problems associated with each breed.

Would you consider a rescue? There are rescue organizations for most breeds.

-jk
10-04-2008, 11:10 PM

Many thanks,
Lavabe

You can start with the breed club. Good breeders will generally show and win a fair share of smaller shows. The Samoyed Club of America (http://www.samoyed.org/SCA/index.htm) has a breeder referral page. A quick google search found the English Cocker Spaniel Club of America (http://www.ecsca.org/) page, also with a breeder referral page.

-jk

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-04-2008, 11:15 PM
Before settling on a breed, I think it's a good idea to go to a few local dogs shows to see the dogs in action. I went to a number of shows to observe Bouvier des Flandres perform and see how they behaved around people and other dogs.

devildeac
10-04-2008, 11:19 PM

Many thanks,
Lavabe

Wonder where she got the idea of a cocker spaniel? Must be genetic:rolleyes:

Feed and walk it? BWAHAHAHA

sue71, esq
10-04-2008, 11:30 PM
Before settling on a breed, I think it's a good idea to go to a few local dogs shows to see the dogs in action. I went to a number of shows to observe Bouvier des Flandres perform and see how they behaved around people and other dogs.

If I may... I don't know much about Samoyeds other than they're simply beautiful, but based on several friends' Cocker Spaniels... dumber than a box of rocks. Stuuuuuuuuupid. Seriously. :rolleyes:

If you're leaning towards a Spaniel, and purebred, I simply adore Cavalier King Charles Spaniels.

There's always the "designer" breeds too... cockapoo, etc., if you want to be trendy. ;)

If not purebred, we had a half Brittany Spaniel- half Poodle when I was growing up. Looked like "Benji" and was the best dog ever- size, temperament, etc. Of course, we got the pick of the litter :D - one friend had her brother and it was a big dog (standard poodle size but not in appearance) and dumb and scared of its own shadow. Another friend had her sister- smaller and more spaniel-like but mean and nasty. Go figure. :rolleyes:

In any event, I second the notion of checking through both the AKC and rescues for the particular breed you decide on. If not going for a purebred, definitely hit up your local pound and also check Petfinder (http://petfinder.com) for more local options as well.

Good luck and post pictures of your new baby once you've made a decision!

OZZIE4DUKE
10-04-2008, 11:53 PM
My wife's family had about 5 generations of Cocker Spaniels, and we got one of the puppies just before we got married. Lady Bug lasted about 14 years - beautiful sweet dog, great with kids. We gave my parents one of her puppies when their Shelty died.

DevilAlumna
10-04-2008, 11:57 PM
I used to dogsit for a samoyed. It shed. A LOT. Like, giant snowballs of hair. Clumps and clumps and clumps of it. Everywhere. (Who's cleaning up after the dog? Can you say daily vacuuming or sweeping?) Oh, and it used to eat its hair too. You could pet it, resulting in a fistful of fur, then offer it as a treat to the dog. Eww.

Have you tried something like this? http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do

duke74
10-04-2008, 11:59 PM

Many thanks,
Lavabe

Agree with all the above. I'm an Airedale owner myself. (Or I should say that he is my owner?) If you like a spunky dog (meaning that you're a terrier person) check out that breed.

sue71, esq
10-05-2008, 12:06 AM
I used to dogsit for a samoyed. It shed. A LOT. Like, giant snowballs of hair. Clumps and clumps and clumps of it. Everywhere. (Who's cleaning up after the dog? Can you say daily vacuuming or sweeping?) Oh, and it used to eat its hair too. You could pet it, resulting in a fistful of fur, then offer it as a treat to the dog. Eww.

Have you tried something like this? http://animal.discovery.com/breedselector/dogselector.do

Very cool!

wilson
10-05-2008, 01:38 AM
Please also consider rescuing your pup. You can do research on the breeds you like and still search for particular dogs. While rescue dogs will almost always be mixes, they are frequently pleasant ones. They are also cheaper to obtain, and they really do seem to have a different element in their soul due to having been rescued. There are also many breed-specific rescue groups as well. It will be harder to find puppy-aged friends this way, but it's not impossible.

Windsor
10-05-2008, 08:47 AM
There are upsides and downsides to every breed. Poodles are highly intelligent and do not shed...but they requiring grooming every six weeks or so which can be expensive if you have it done or time consuming if you don't. Long haired dogs shed but don't be fooled into thinking short haired dogs don't....my lab outsheds my Teruvren by an order of magnitude. Consider the work the dog was bred to do...herding dogs are active and easy to train, but they need a job to do and aren't generally content as a lay around the house dog. A sighthound is hard wired to chase anything that moves. Terriers are hunters who go to ground (down the hole after vermin)
AKC's website is an excellent source of information about breeds. Go to dog shows. AKC's event search will show you shows in your area. Talk to breeders. Almost always they will happily tell you the pros and cons of their breed. (I can't tell you how many people I have talked out of getting a Tervuren because the are difficult dogs to own in the wrong hands) Make sure you ask why you shouldn't own a 'xyz'! You need to know the downside (spaniels for example are notoriously hard to housebreak and tend to pee in the house, beagles delight in rolling in anything that smells bad)
Consider size, general behavior traits, coat and activity level in your decision. Consider gender. There are personality differences betweent he sexes. You'll probably end of with a list of three or four likely candidates.

Once you have that piece of homework done consider mixed breeds. You'll have enough information to at least guess at the personality of the mix. If you don't want a lab because they are too big and too high energy don't consider a lab shepard mix. It is oh so easy to fall in love with the fur ball at the shelter with the big sad eyes. Take a breath and remeber that you will live with the dog for 12-15 years. Consider what it will grow up in to.
Contact breed rescue groups. Puppies are hard to find but young dogs aren't and for a fraction of the cost of a purebred puppy.
Remember that puggles, labradoodles, cockapoos etc are mutts. They are not breeds. They are bred by hobbiest making money. Paying upwards of a thousand dollars for a mutt is nuts. Just nuts.
A good breeder if you go the purebred route will do genetic testing on the parents. They will x-ray hips and elbows and get a certification. The website for the national breed club will spell out exactly what testing should be done on that breed. Mixed breeds can be much less likely to have genetic difficulties but this is where homework comes in...if you are looking at a mix of two breeds that have a history of cardio issues (dobies and boxers) there could be a problem.

I've trained and showed dogs for 20 something years. I've found dozens of dogs homes. Anything you need to know just ask!

Lavabe
10-05-2008, 09:43 AM
Yes, so my number one choice according to the breed selector program was...

a cocker-like spaniel.:eek::eek:

GASP!! UGH!! No EARTHLY way!! How on EARTH did they come up with that as 100% when I went with a size category larger than the breed? I sense a faulty program.

ILJ didn't like (and quite frankly, neither did I) any of the top 12 breeds recommended for her.

Other than that link, most of the suggestions have been registered. Thank you very much.

Fortunately, through one of the links, we found a Samoyed breeder who lives only five miles away (go figure), so I think we'll be able to follow through with many of the suggestions people have offered. The main thing is that it will be a longer process, and I think we'll take our time. But we'll start in earnest, rather than simply talking about it.

Cheers and many thanks,
Lavabe

Windsor
10-05-2008, 10:01 AM
If you like Samoyeds take a look at Eskies (http://www.akc.org/breeds/american_eskimo_dog/index.cfm)

Good luck...and good for you for taking this seriously and taking your time!

CLT Devil
10-05-2008, 10:20 AM
If you like Cockers check out the Boykin Spaniel - A very cute little dog that is much smarter than a Cocker. They're bred to hunt but make great companions and house pets. I fund that most hunting dogs are pretty smart, at least in the sense that they listen o people. I won a German Shorthaired Pointer whose breed us supposed to be a little hyper but he's as laid back as they come.

Goodluck, and don't rule out adopting a puppy. I keep foster dogs and have had a few thet we found, they really appreciate you giving them a better life, hard to explain but they know that you saved them.

Lavabe
10-05-2008, 10:41 AM
Goodluck, and don't rule out adopting a puppy. I keep foster dogs and have had a few thet we found, they really appreciate you giving them a better life, hard to explain but they know that you saved them.

Most options are on the table... the big thing is that the dog will have to be young.

My Samoyed bias over the Cocker types is pretty strong, though I don't dispute the value and love that Cockers give (e.g., Ozzie's post). I am also biased against schnauzers (had one when growing up), terriers (had one when growing up), and tiny dog breeds. Many aspects of the larger, Samoyed-type dog, would be ideal with our family. And we live near a lot of open spaces, parks, and farms.

Cheers,
Lavabe

allenmurray
10-05-2008, 11:01 AM
If you want a small dog you shoulod get a beagle. Another option might be a beagle. If you have decided against a beagle you could always reconsider and get a beagle.

There's no need to fear, Underdog is here!

sue71, esq
10-05-2008, 11:09 AM
If you want a small dog you shoulod get a beagle. Another option might be a beagle. If you have decided against a beagle you could always reconsider and get a beagle.

Shed, shed, shed. Adorable, if you don't mind the shedding. ;)

RelativeWays
10-05-2008, 11:11 AM
Please also consider rescuing your pup. You can do research on the breeds you like and still search for particular dogs. While rescue dogs will almost always be mixes, they are frequently pleasant ones. They are also cheaper to obtain, and they really do seem to have a different element in their soul due to having been rescued. There are also many breed-specific rescue groups as well. It will be harder to find puppy-aged friends this way, but it's not impossible.

That's what we did, rescue our dogs as young pups. One came from Petfinder, the other was a stray that would skulk around my wife's old elementary school. Both are beagle mixes. They're very smart, a bit precocious and very loving. They have been great with my 4 month old daughter, who they love to sniff and occasionally lick, no jealousy at at.

allenmurray
10-05-2008, 11:15 AM
Shed, shed, shed. Adorable, if you don't mind the shedding. ;)

The shedding can be a problem. On the other hand, mine loved to be brushed, which kept the shedding to a minimum.

willywoody
10-05-2008, 01:18 PM
If you like Cockers check out the Boykin Spaniel - A very cute little dog that is much smarter than a Cocker. They're bred to hunt but make great companions and house pets. I fund that most hunting dogs are pretty smart, at least in the sense that they listen o people. I won a German Shorthaired Pointer whose breed us supposed to be a little hyper but he's as laid back as they come.

i'll second the recommendation for a boykin, state dog of SC.

http://www.boykinspanielclub.org/

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-05-2008, 01:35 PM
Most options are on the table... the big thing is that the dog will have to be young.

My Samoyed bias over the Cocker types is pretty strong, though I don't dispute the value and love that Cockers give (e.g., Ozzie's post). I am also biased against schnauzers (had one when growing up), terriers (had one when growing up), and tiny dog breeds. Many aspects of the larger, Samoyed-type dog, would be ideal with our family. And we live near a lot of open spaces, parks, and farms.

Cheers,
Lavabe
Don't underestimate the work required to take care of a large dog with a thick or double coat. It will tax your vacuum cleaner and your patience. Brushing is not optional. The heat of summer can be a serious problems for dogs with lots of thick, long hair.

Having had big dogs most of my life, I've come to understand how likely most are to be prone to hip displacement and serious arthritis. Some sort of certification (if you get a purebred) regarding the hip issue is very important.

For years I'd wanted a Great Dane and thought that breed would be the successor to the Bouvier. I was in my vet's office one day when someone came in with a Great Dane. I was admiring this beautiful dog when I noticed its rump was higher than the receptionist's counter. I asked the dog's age: 9 mos. Later I observed the owner having to lift the dog's rear end into the Jeep they were riding in. I decided that I'd reached and age when lifting a heavy dog would be more of a challenge than when my Bouvier became elderly. In addition, everything costs more for big dogs : meds (based on dog's weight), accessories (collars, leads, car seat or seat belt), boarding fees and FOOD.

Don't know if you're familiar with Bouviers. A fine breed for families.... smart, trainable and quite loving, but can be stubborn. Placid personalities and quiet. Tolerant of cats and children. Jack, my Bouvier, (his formal name on his papers was Monsieur Jacques Soniet of Bouchon Kennels) knew many words in English and French, but was never interested in Spanish. He could distinguish the meaning of words in the context of time of day. He learned to take care of business outside on command. He was a great traveler and loved being in the car. People selling door to door were never aggressive or assertive with him standing beside me, silent and large. There's nothing like an intelligent dog to make a great companion. One additional note on big dogs, they tend to have shorter lifespans than smaller ones. Big dogs tend to mature emotionally and physically slower than small dogs. Many bigs are adolescents until 18 mos or longer.

Selecting a suitable dog can be one of the most rewarding commitments you and your family make. I'm looking forward to reading your updates on this process.

devildeac
10-05-2008, 03:18 PM

that probably would not work, but if you could find him a good BAGEL...

colchar
10-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I've trained and showed dogs for 20 something years. I've found dozens of dogs homes. Anything you need to know just ask!

Can you find me a either an Irish Terrier or a Smooth Collie (purebreads of course)? From a good breeder close to the Ontario border (the Irish Terrier breeder closest to me is just plain strange and I do not want to buy one of her pups because of that).

Windsor
10-06-2008, 12:04 PM
I'll see what I can do! Irish Terrier and Smooth Collie..that's an interesting combiantion. CKC registered,mAKC registerd or dual?

colchar
10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
I'll see what I can do! Irish Terrier and Smooth Collie..that's an interesting combiantion. CKC registered,mAKC registerd or dual?

CKC registered.

I've always loved Irish Terriers and my Mom was raised with them so I was familiar with them as a kid. We had neighbors who had Collies and I loved them but would prefer a smooth over a rough because of shedding. I also quite like some of the larger Terriers such as Airedales.

merry
10-06-2008, 12:50 PM

Our first (and so far only) dog was a beagle rescue puppy. I thought I wanted a Sheltie but then this beagle rescued from Katrina had pups and next thing you know we adopted one: http://www.tribeagles.org/

His mom was a beagle (dad unknown) and he actually doesn't look all that much like a beagle and he doesn't bay either, but he has the sweet beagle personality.

Mainly I just wanted to say that another big advantage of rescue dogs & pups is the people who are foster-caring them really know them and can help match you with the right dog. They really want to find the perfect home for each one of them, and even within breed you get a lot of variation in personality so that helps.

bjornolf
10-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Samoyeds are still partly wild, I think, so probably not good with kids. I don't think they like anywhere warm either.

Cockers tend to bite, from what I've heard.

I'm a golden retriever man myself. I had one as a boy, and it was my best friend in the world. Real smart, and helpful too. But they ARE very energetic and need to be excercised a LOT. We got him from the pound as a stray.

My parents have a welsh corgi now, and they LOVE it. Corgies are kind of a paradox. They are small, but they have a big body, and act more like big dogs than small ones. I always joked that corgies were like big dogs that had been chopped off at the knees. They're kind of herders, but they also are used to hunt fox, cause they can go in the burrows. My parents' corgi is a service dog that helps them with everything. She wasn't even trained, she just picked it up trying to help my parents. They had her tested, and she passed the tests to become a service dog without any training (she's not a seeing eye dog or anything, but she does a LOT to help my parents, even picking up dropped pills and handing them back without swallowing them). Real smart.

I'm personally a fan of the english bulldog. Don't need too much excercise or grooming, and don't need a large space to run around in. They're good with kids. The only real problem with them is that they have a short snout, so they tend to overheat in hot climates.

Lavabe
10-06-2008, 08:27 PM
Samoyeds are still partly wild, I think, so probably not good with kids.

Not the case, according to most of the literature I've seen. For example:
http://www.samoyedrescue.com/samoyedfaqs.htm
(scroll down 2/3 the way)

Cheers,
Lavabe

colchar
10-06-2008, 08:30 PM
I'm personally a fan of the english bulldog. Don't need too much excercise or grooming, and don't need a large space to run around in. They're good with kids. The only real problem with them is that they have a short snout, so they tend to overheat in hot climates.

There is the whole drool issue with them though and that can be kind of gross. Otherwise, I've always liked them.

duke74
10-06-2008, 08:56 PM
There is the whole drool issue with them though and that can be kind of gross. Otherwise, I've always liked them.

Especially if you're a true Churchillian.

DevilAlumna
10-06-2008, 11:29 PM

And they shed sharp, pointy hairs that burrow into every piece of your clothing; have skin issues and other breed-common ailments; are fairly flatulent (with the wrong diet); and snore so loud you can hear it two floors away.

But I wouldn't trade my guy in any time soon. ;)

rockymtn devil
10-06-2008, 11:40 PM
I'll toss in, if you're going the Spaniel route, while it can be helpful to look at a breeder's history with respect to shows (even smaller, local AKC sponsored events) that shouldn't be dispositive. Spaniels, and other sporting breeds, are also judged on their field ability. A dog with good field lines may not be the perfect specimen for a dog show but, functionally speaking, is what the breed is supposed to provide. Field dogs also tend to be less expensive--even with field trial champion lines--without giving anything up (unless you're looking to show).

I have a sporting breed who, I have no doubt, would not be showable (his ears are too big, but, in the field that can be a positive). But, he's a great bird dog...if only I hunted and he certainly has the intelligence and good nature expected from his breed.

Finally, when choosing a puppy, look for a dog that is interested in people. Shy puppies can sometimes lead to angry dogs. Friendly puppies usually grow up to have a nice disposition.

whereinthehellami
10-07-2008, 08:56 AM
I have a Brittany, who has been a perfect pet and friend. They are high energy bird dogs though and aren't the best walkers on a leash, which is tough because I'm a big walker.

Also keep in mind that puppies are like having kids. They are alot of work.

budwom
10-07-2008, 09:11 AM
Windsor's advice is superb. Learn about the breeds. If you live in a hot climate, I don't think a Samoyed is for you. Your lifestyle (do you like walking a dog a fair distance every day, or are you more sedentary?) has a lot to do with what breed you choose. I'm also conversant with lots of breeds, so don't hesitate to ask...choosing a dog based simply on looks or size tends to be a bad idea.

Lavabe
10-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Windsor's advice is superb. Learn about the breeds. If you live in a hot climate, I don't think a Samoyed is for you. Your lifestyle (do you like walking a dog a fair distance every day, or are you more sedentary?) has a lot to do with what breed you choose. I'm also conversant with lots of breeds, so don't hesitate to ask...choosing a dog based simply on looks or size tends to be a bad idea.

Remember that we live in Lexington, KY now, no longer Atlanta. I can already see major changes in the change of season occurring. It may not be Vermont, but it's a lot more seasonal here than it was in Atlanta.

I have more incentive for more walking here: more parkland, flatter, fewer mosquitoes, and MUCH more scenic. ILJ always complained about that aspect of where we lived. It would really help out both of us to have that walking companion when one of us is not around.

And we have a fenced backyard.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-07-2008, 12:32 PM
I just want to put in another plug for rescuing a dog if at all possible. I've read that shelters are very full these days b/c people have had to give up their dogs for economic reasons. We rescued our little girl in Chicago when she was just 8 weeks old - a beautiful border collie mix. It think there is definitely something unique about dogs that are rescued. They know it. My brother had the same experience when he rescued a chow mix that had been abused. I've never seen a more gentle, loyal dog now that she has a happy home. It may be harder to find but there are plenty of puppies out there to rescue. Look hard and do a great thing for a dog in need.

colchar
10-07-2008, 12:46 PM
I just want to put in another plug for rescuing a dog if at all possible. I've read that shelters are very full these days b/c people have had to give up their dogs for economic reasons. We rescued our little girl in Chicago when she was just 8 weeks old - a beautiful border collie mix. It think there is definitely something unique about dogs that are rescued. They know it. My brother had the same experience when he rescued a chow mix that had been abused. I've never seen a more gentle, loyal dog now that she has a happy home. It may be harder to find but there are plenty of puppies out there to rescue. Look hard and do a great thing for a dog in need.

I agree that rescues are a good way to go and that the dogs somehow know they've been rescued. My former roommates and I rescued a German Shepherd/Doberman cross who was all rough and hard when we got her. She was also a little bit head-shy and we think she might have been abused a bit. Now, however, she is no more rough and hard than a muffin top. She is an absolute love sponge. If we were stupid enough to pet her for five hours she'd darned well let us do it. Her whole life revolves around giving and receiving attention. As we say, she just loves love. Now if only we could get her to stop eating the garbage (yes, she can open the cupboard to get to it and, despite all the warnings about dogs and chicken bones, this one can go through the bones from chicken wings without even burping).

Devil in the Blue Dress
10-07-2008, 12:55 PM
After life with a magnificent Bouvier, my current dog is a 10 lb. rescue, probably chihuahua and terrier mix. She's very intelligent, appreciative of having a good home and very loving. She was very passive and afraid when she moved in with me.... I'm her third home. The time to help her become better socialized has been well worth the investment. She's one of the brightest dogs I've ever had and a terrific companion.

BD80
10-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Agree with all the above. I'm an Airedale owner myself. (Or I should say that he is my owner?) If you like a spunky dog (meaning that you're a terrier person) check out that breed.

Here is another enthusiastic recommendation for Airedales. They are large and can be headstrong, but they have far more personality than other breeds. Airedales need exercise and attention, but if you are looking for a pet who will be a member of the family, this is the dog for you. I am on my second Airedale and will be fostering rescue Airedales. They can be a challenge but they are so worth the effort.

bluebear
10-07-2008, 01:56 PM
I'll put in a plug for basset hounds...one of the most friendly, gentle, and loyal breeds out there. A big dog that feels smaller because of short legs and propensity for sleeping all the time. Sure, they drool, fart, snore, whine incessantly and refuse to obey unless food is offered but if you can overlook that, they make a great family pet. One thing I have learned about the breed though...they have incredible endurance. The challenge is that sometimes after walking a good distance, they decide they no longer want to walk and become 70lb rocks..Lots of great basset rescue sites...

rasputin
10-07-2008, 02:59 PM
"drool, fart, snore, whine incessantly and refuse to obey unless food is offered"
The poster wanted a dog, not a husband . . .

colchar
10-07-2008, 03:06 PM
"drool, fart, snore, whine incessantly and refuse to obey unless food is offered"

Well played.

devildeac
10-07-2008, 04:47 PM

Hey, back off, bucko-at least I'm house-broken:o:rolleyes:(most of the time)

Fish80
10-07-2008, 07:03 PM
Did I mention that I love dogs?

I've had golden retrievers and beagles, and now have an old beagle and a chocolate lab puppy. They're all great breeds, but the beagles were by far the hardest to train. The beagle are clever, and very willful.

A couple of points already mentioned: personality and activity level are important considerations.

Some dogs, like labs, do much better when they get a lot of exercise. Other dogs don't need nearly as much exercise. Narrow down your choice of breed based on a realistic assessment of the activity level and long term you will be happier with the choice.

YmoBeThere
10-07-2008, 07:10 PM
For a while I thought this thread was related to some Shania Twain song...

Lavabe
10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
For a while I thought this thread was related to some Shania Twain song...

My apologies, Ymo.

But seriously, many thanks for all the suggestions, everyone!:)

YmoBeThere
10-07-2008, 09:18 PM
I like Shania...even have an autographed calendar of hers. Don't ask how I got it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJUiE5iHmD0

SupaDave
10-08-2008, 11:26 AM
This dog may have been mentioned but I've got to put it out there. I just broke down and bought a Yorkie for one of my lady friends. She LOVES it. I think they are cool dogs b/c they are relatively docile little guys. However, there's nothing manly about them at all. To avoid this problem - our Yorkie is named "Killa". LOL!

TillyGalore
10-08-2008, 11:28 AM
I like Shania...even have an autographed calendar of hers. Don't ask how I got it.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJUiE5iHmD0

I'm going to bite and ask: How did you get an autographed Shania Twain calendar?

TillyGalore
10-08-2008, 11:29 AM
This dog may have been mentioned but I've got to put it out there. I just broke down and bought a Yorkie for one of my lady friends. She LOVES it. I think they are cool dogs b/c they are relatively docile little guys. However, there's nothing manly about them at all. To avoid this problem - our Yorkie is named "Killa". LOL!

Umm, errr, "one of (your) lady friends." SupaDave, just how many lady friends to you have? ;)

Lavabe
10-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Is there a BEST time of year to get a dog? Is there a WORST time of year to get a dog? Are there things to be aware of when getting a dog in the winter time?

Thanks,
Lavabe

bluebear
10-29-2008, 02:24 PM
Is there a BEST time of year to get a dog? Is there a WORST time of year to get a dog? Are there things to be aware of when getting a dog in the winter time?

Thanks,
Lavabe

I suppose it depends on where you live. Puppies have a lot of energy and do well with lots of exercise (preferably outside). I wouldn't get a puppy in the winter up here in Boston, though I suppose the reverse would hold true with the summer heat of other areas..

sue71, esq
10-29-2008, 03:12 PM
I suppose it depends on where you live. Puppies have a lot of energy and do well with lots of exercise (preferably outside). I wouldn't get a puppy in the winter up here in Boston, though I suppose the reverse would hold true with the summer heat of other areas..

I think the holidays (ie late November & all of December) are considered less than optimal times to get any pet. I believe there's extra scrutiny that comes with that time of year because so many people get an animal to give as a holiday gift and the pet is then unwanted or neglected or treated poorly. As a result, from what I've heard, sales & especially adoptions come under more scrutiny.

IOW, get the pet before mid-November or after the New Year.

Dr. Rosenrosen
10-29-2008, 03:35 PM

Thanks,
Lavabe

Several things to consider...

How old? Puppies generally don't require a ton of exercise right away - even active breads. They're too small to walk very far. My border collie could barely go around the block at 10 wks old. Within a few months, though, she was walking 30+ minutes 1-2 times per day.

What breed? Active breeds will need to be walked for a good length of time in order to avoid behavioral problems. They get antsy. Less active breeds of course will require less walking time.

Implications for winter time... you're gonna be running outside pretty often with a puppy trying to house train him/her. You're gonna be walking a lot with an active breed. So, are you prepared to spend the requisite time outside with the dog in the cold? Of course, if you have a fenced yard, these issues are more easily managed. Even so, I think active breeds need real walks, not just backyard time. Our border collie LOVES chasing squirrels in the yard but she will never pass up an opportunity for a real walk to check out the neighborhood.

BlueDevilBaby
10-29-2008, 04:14 PM
I got my chihuahuas in the dead of winter. Could not help the timing as it was an impulsive decision to take them. It was impossible to train them in the snow and cold because they will only go on grass. They are house broken for the most part but still use litter boxes inside. So I also would not recommend winter time to get a new dog, depending upon location.

I've had a boxer, yorkies and now my chis. I loved them all but have to say the Yorkies are my favorite dog. I would love to have a Yorkiepoo because I like the bigger Yorkies - just don't see them around very much. (Please don't tell my chis I said that.)

captmojo
10-30-2008, 07:58 AM
There is a reason I sometimes say that I have the attention span of a Cocker Spaniel puppy. My vote will always lean to an English Setter.

devildeac
10-30-2008, 08:44 AM
We had a Cocker for about 9 years. She got "voted off the island" when she got the following afflictions:

1. Howling/barking incessantly when she was relegated to being a garage/outside dog when the kids "took over" the joint.
2. Fleas.

Overall, a good dog to own with minimal health problems during that time with us, except for the annoying, chronic eye "goop." We put an ad in the paper with "free" included in the text and had SIXTY calls for her. We gave her away to the 1st caller after we interviewed the family and were convinced she would have a great home there.

Lavabe
10-30-2008, 11:52 AM
We had a Cocker for about 9 years. She got "voted off the island" when she got the following afflictions:

1. Howling/barking incessantly when she was relegated to being a garage/outside dog when the kids "took over" the joint.
2. Fleas.

Overall, a good dog to own with minimal health problems during that time with us, except for the annoying, chronic eye "goop." We put an ad in the paper with "free" included in the text and had SIXTY calls for her. We gave her away to the 1st caller after we interviewed the family and were convinced she would have a great home there.

As we don't have plural on the kids, Puppy/Dog Lavabe would probably not take over the joint.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses about dog searching during this time of year. Lots of confirmation of what I had been suspecting. Will continue with an exhaustive, thorough search for Puppy Lavabe ...

It's sort of like a job search!:o

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
10-30-2008, 12:25 PM
As we don't have plural on the kids, Puppy/Dog Lavabe would probably not take over the joint.:rolleyes:

Thanks for the responses about dog searching during this time of year. Lots of confirmation of what I had been suspecting. Will continue with an exhaustive, thorough search for Puppy Lavabe ...

It's sort of like a job search!:o

Cheers,
Lavabe

If y'all can't decide, you could have virtual dogs and change breeds every month or two:o. No kennels. No training. No clean up. No shedding. No allergies.

DevilAlumna
10-30-2008, 12:56 PM
Aibo!

http://www.mobilewhack.com/images/sony_aibo_ers_7m3_robot_dog_1.jpg

TillyGalore
10-30-2008, 12:59 PM
If y'all can't decide, you could have virtual dogs and change breeds every month or two:o. No kennels. No training. No clean up. No shedding. No allergies.

For that matter Lavabe could have a virtual cat and ILJ wouldn't have allergy problems. :D

devildeac
10-30-2008, 02:34 PM
Aibo!

http://www.mobilewhack.com/images/sony_aibo_ers_7m3_robot_dog_1.jpg

Looks like a great addition to the Lavabe family:eek:.

littlejohn
10-30-2008, 07:01 PM

Thanks,
Lavabe

Lav,

If its not too late a few more things for you to consider: (I own 3 medium sized pups, all about 50 pounds. Two australian shepherds, and one australian cattle dog. Two rescued and one I got as a 7 week old pup. The 7week old has been a pet therapy dog since he was 14 months old and he's now 7 1/2 years old.)

The baby was the first dog we crate trained at a suggestion from one of my sisters who has had dogs for 25 plus years. A good crate gives the puppy a sense of security since all dogs are den animals; also, dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep unless forced to do so. Puppies can't "hold it" all night, so for 2-3 months we treated him as a human baby and got up in the middle of the night to take him outside to go to the bathroom. Doing that in the winter is far less enjoyable than the Spring or Summer. That's the downside to a youngen'.

The plus side is a very well trained dog, totally house broken. The crate went back over the garage after several months, and he now sleeps on a dog bed on one end of the house. (Or they all like to sleep on the floor in the winter as we have radiant floor heating.)

As to exercise, all dogs need regular exercise. We used to live at a place which had 1 1/2 acres under fence. A vet who writes a nationally syndicated column stated that even with a yard that size, a dog will know every square inch within 2 weeks. Walks outside "their" territory are essential to their good health in my opinion. You will also find out daily walks make for a much better dog, especially in temperament.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever pup you choose.

Lavabe
10-31-2008, 08:07 AM
Lav,

If its not too late a few more things for you to consider: (I own 3 medium sized pups, all about 50 pounds. Two australian shepherds, and one australian cattle dog. Two rescued and one I got as a 7 week old pup. The 7week old has been a pet therapy dog since he was 14 months old and he's now 7 1/2 years old.)

The baby was the first dog we crate trained at a suggestion from one of my sisters who has had dogs for 25 plus years. A good crate gives the puppy a sense of security since all dogs are den animals; also, dogs won't go to the bathroom where they sleep unless forced to do so. Puppies can't "hold it" all night, so for 2-3 months we treated him as a human baby and got up in the middle of the night to take him outside to go to the bathroom. Doing that in the winter is far less enjoyable than the Spring or Summer. That's the downside to a youngen'.

The plus side is a very well trained dog, totally house broken. The crate went back over the garage after several months, and he now sleeps on a dog bed on one end of the house. (Or they all like to sleep on the floor in the winter as we have radiant floor heating.)

As to exercise, all dogs need regular exercise. We used to live at a place which had 1 1/2 acres under fence. A vet who writes a nationally syndicated column stated that even with a yard that size, a dog will know every square inch within 2 weeks. Walks outside "their" territory are essential to their good health in my opinion. You will also find out daily walks make for a much better dog, especially in temperament.

Hope this helps. Good luck with whatever pup you choose.

Thank you very much, Littlejohn. I am copying it and sending it to my daughter. After reading your message, I also took a look at the australian shepherds. Very interesting dog. Any suggestions about the dog?

Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
10-31-2008, 11:39 AM
I wouldn't consider getting a new puppy w/o a corresponding period of crate training. It make house-training very easy, plus keeps a younger dog from destructive/bad habits while you're not home - happier for everyone in the family.

Our bulldog (now 5) stays and sleeps in his crate during the day, whether we're home, or not. He gets a treat *every single time* he goes in there, so all I have to say is, "go to your bed" and he runs happily to it! (Unlike my brother's pug, who thinks it's a fun game to see how long she can make her parents chase her, before being corraled into her crate.)

littlejohn
10-31-2008, 08:17 PM
Lavabe,

Not sure how much background or info you want, but here goes...

First off, everyone thinks their breed of dog is "the best", which is no surprise. Secondly, there is no such thing as a "bad dog" type or breed; its the human component which makes or breaks a dog. For example, one of my sisters is 5'2", about 106 lbs.; her dogs of choice for 20 + years are Rotties. Her last dog, Ripley, outweighed my sister by 25-30 pounds, had a bark that would cause Godzilla to cower, and yet was the gentlest dog you ever met. Ripley absolutely knew my sister was the alpha dog in the pack. Its you not the dog who determines what they will turn out to be.

So on to my Aussies:

Get an aussie ONLY if you want another member of your family. They are very loyal, and make for tremendous watch dogs and kid watchers. One of the documented cases I read, had an aussie taking 3 strikes to the head from a rattlesnake to protect "their" human child. Fortunately the snake struck the very crown of the head and the dog survived the attack, and the child wasn't harmed.

Spenser (my therapy dog) follows me everywhere. The other two pups we have like to be around us, but an aussie will follow you anywhere they are allowed to go. He's under the desk at my feet as I type this. I jokingly call him my "helper dog" because it doesn't matter what project I am doing outside he comes with me to supervise. The other 2 might follow and check it out, but they wander off - not Spenser.

At night when we settle in to watch some tv, the other two dogs will go lie in their beds, but Spense comes and lays down in the doorway to the room we are watching tv in, to be as close as possible to us. Their "wing" of the house has stained concrete floors, which are bullet proof, so they are allowed freedom in those rooms, but not on the furniture. However our living room has 400 year old antique pine floors, which don't react very well to dog nails, so they are not allowed in that room. Spenser will lay his chin on the wood floor at the door opening so he can keep an eye on me and be as close as he's allowed to be.

Aussies are not needy dogs though so don't get that impression, but you need to be aware they absolutely consider you to be part of their pack. Dogs are social animals, so they want their pack intact.

Aussies are also working dogs so they need some type of activity to bleed off their energy. Some refer to this as them 'needing a job to do'. We live in the foothills of central CA and walk for an hour every day. This not only keeps the pups fit and mentally healthy, but us as well. They don't need that much time every day, although they could take more if we chose to give it to them, but every dog (& humans) need regular exercise. We even got a backpack for the dogs, who rotate turns carrying the pack on our walks.

They will chase a ball, do canine agility, herd almost anything that moves, including you. I choose to live a very active life style. Years and years ago, I used to race in triathlons, and still cycle, play tennis, golf, run, etc. Aussies are a perfect personality match for me.

Now aussies are also very smart, and can be trained to do almost anything. I don't believe in teaching my dog a lot of "trick' tricks, beyond obedience commands, however, I did run Spenser through an agility class which he loved.

As a therapy dog at our local Children's Hospital, he has to be bright enough to deal with total strangers all the time, elevators, weird equipment - iv poles and such - and not be spooked AT ALL by these things. There are some times when he gets to lay in the bed with a child but that is rare. Since the hospital beds are quite high off the ground, the kids often can't reach Spenser to pet him. His command to get up onto or in something like a truck or truck bed is "load". Since I don't want him leaping onto the child's bed, I taught him the command - "paws". When he gets this command, he puts only his front paws up on their bed, where the child can reach him and give him a treat. (Aussies will do most anything you want them to if food is involved; this, by the way, is terrific for training them.)

Now on to picking a pup. I visited several breeders in my area before buying Spenser. My decision was based on three things - how I liked the way the owners ran their operation, what I thought of the pups' parents, and finally the puppy itself. I have rescued dogs I knew little about, however, I would never buy a puppy without meeting their parents. You can tell a lot about the personality traits they might have by how their parents are, again factoring in how the human owners treat their dogs.

One of tricks I have been taught is this: sit down, grab a puppy, and flip him/her upside down on your lap. The puppy should squirm a bit, but rub its belly, and talk to them, to see if it will calm down to your touch. A puppy that settles down after a few minutes will be much easier to train and will much more easily accept you as the alpha dog. A dog who refuses to settle will be much much more difficult to train, so I would avoid them unless you want the challenge.

Grown female aussies usually run 40-45 pounds, with the males running 50-55 pounds. I often weight Spenser on the hospital scales and he comes in right around the 50 pound mark.

Aussies have a very fine undercoat, with a long (3-4 inch) fur overcoat. It will make them seem fat, when they are not. Because of where I live, I have Spense buzzed 2-3 times a year during the hot months, as he is easier to care for that way. I have known people who like the look so much , they keep their aussies shaved all year round, but I let his grow back when the fall weather turns. He looks like he loses 20 pounds when I have him shaved in the Spring.

Aussies run 3 different colors: blue merle (Spenser is black,white,grey, & copper) red tri, which is red and white, and a black tri, which is mostly black with some white. Some have blue eyes, some have 2 different colored eyes, and others are hazel.

Lastly, unless you are independently wealthy - in which case my bill will follow - you don't need to spend $800-2,000 for a show dog. I am assuming you are looking for a pet. I have seen aussie pups range in price from free to a good home to $25-250.

i hope this helps, however, if you have some specific questions, fire away !

warm regards,

littlejohn

Lavabe
10-31-2008, 08:54 PM
Littlejohn,
Thank you very much. Those are some wonderful suggestions, and I'll be checking our region to see if we can get a look at them. In many ways, they seem like a great fit for our family.
Cheers,
Lavabe

colchar
10-31-2008, 09:08 PM
Thank you very much, Littlejohn. I am copying it and sending it to my daughter. After reading your message, I also took a look at the australian shepherds. Very interesting dog. Any suggestions about the dog?

Cheers,
Lavabe

My brother and his fiance recently got a mini Australian Shepherd so that might be a good compromise between what you want and what your wife wants.

Sidney (their dog) is easily the cutest puppy God ever created - even cuter than any of my own dogs were! If I knew how to post photos here I would and everyone would just melt...

And smart too! Good God that dog is as smart as they come. I am not much for smaller dogs but even I am considering a mini Australian Shepherd now because Sidney is so ridiculously adorable. Basically they are Aussies in every single way except for size.

merry
10-31-2008, 09:55 PM
They're all great breeds, but the beagles were by far the hardest to train. The beagle are clever, and very willful.

Seriously? I thought ours was hard to train because he has very limited mental bandwidth. He spent a good six months just looking confused and sorry. If by "clever and willful" you mean that he'll do things he's been "trained" not to do as long as he thinks you're not looking, well, then I agree.

littlejohn
10-31-2008, 10:19 PM
Lavabe,

You're quite welcome. You can buy me a pint when I come to UK land, or you can buy me one if you come to CA.

if you run across anything you have questions about, drop me a note. I'll be happy to help anyway I can.

warm regards,

littlejohn

Dr. Rosenrosen
11-01-2008, 11:29 AM
Whatever dog you decide on, my bit of advice is to begin training right away. We rescued a 10 week old border collie mix. Even as early as 6-8 weeks old she was beginning to learn basic visual commands from a trainer who volunteered her time at the rescue. We continued to work with her from the moment we brought the dog home.

Most trainers I have talked to will say that training is more about your personal interaction with the dog than it is the dog's ability or willingness to learn. Most dogs are very "trainable." But don't expect to hand off the dog to be trained and then get him/her back expecting you will be able to interact with the dog the same way the trainer did.

Bottom line, start early and be involved. Just like a child... uh, there's my son breaking something. Gotta go. :D

Lavabe
11-05-2008, 10:01 AM
... we have decided to see an Australian Shepherd dog breeder outside of Louisville. Will let you know what's up as things progress.
Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
11-05-2008, 10:47 AM

Many thanks,
Lavabe

Ahh, man, I missed a chance to comment on cockers.

devildeac
11-05-2008, 02:47 PM

I believe that has been discussed earlier.

Lavabe
11-06-2008, 12:04 PM

Keep in mind that a very notable political figure who just got elected also promised his daughter a puppy. Perhaps as result of billybreen, the first pooch will be a cocker.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
11-06-2008, 12:43 PM
Keep in mind that a very notable political figure who just got elected also promised his daughter a puppy. Perhaps as result of billybreen, the first pooch will be a cocker.:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

No way. He needs to get a dog that looks at least somewhat manly. Getting a cocker is only a small step above getting a french poodle.

2535Miles
11-06-2008, 12:56 PM
... we have decided to see an Australian Shepherd dog breeder outside of Louisville. Will let you know what's up as things progress.
Cheers,
Lavabe
That's great news Lavabe. I'd just like to add that my neighbor had an Australian Cattle Dog and that he was truly a wonderful member of her family. He also has a place in my heart for finding my lost cat and rescuing her after she was lost for two weeks. Good luck and can't wait to hear about the new member of the family.

littlejohn
11-07-2008, 05:20 PM
Ahhh....Spreading the gospel of Spenser !

Lav, we expect pictures once your new baby arrives !!!

warm regards,

littlejohn

Lavabe
11-07-2008, 08:17 PM
Are a breeder's prices on puppies negotiable? I mean, I saw the prices that littlejohn mentioned in his post about aussies, and it just seems that breeders' prices are much higher than those quoted. I understand that breeders have to cover expenses and all, but just how much wiggle room is there on cost?
Thanks,
Lavabe

devildeac
11-07-2008, 11:56 PM
Are a breeder's prices on puppies negotiable? I mean, I saw the prices that littlejohn mentioned in his post about aussies, and it just seems that breeders' prices are much higher than those quoted. I understand that breeders have to cover expenses and all, but just how much wiggle room is there on cost?
Thanks,
Lavabe

Negotiate. They have a number of responsibilities for the pups for the 1st 6 weeks (or more) including feeding, shots, advertising, breeding fee (pick of the litter or the cost of a puppy). When we bred our cocker (twice), we paid the male's owners the cost of one puppy for their dog's err, "services." I think when we bought our puppy, the owner asked $100 for the little darling and we settled on $75-my wife also worked with the owner of the cocker pups so we got "a deal."

littlejohn
11-08-2008, 11:06 AM
Lav,

When I was doing my research on Aussies, I too was stunned at the price tag for some of them. Again, for some people this is their "job", so the operation is very commercial. They only have the breeding operation to make money, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Other breeders are very seriously into championship show dogs. These are always registered, lettered (AKC, etc) and very expensive. While these are some of the prettiest pups I have ever seen, I wasn't looking for a show dog, so I passed on these places.

Be aware though that even top breeders have dogs that don't meet their criteria as a top show dog and list them as "pet" dogs. Unless it is a very unusual case, there isn't a thing physically wrong with the pups, they just aren't elite show pups in the eyes of their breeder. A breeder will be much more interested in making a deal with you for one of their 'pet' dogs than they will for one of their top show dogs. (However, the tough economy effects all but the very rich, so even successful breeders should be a little more open to negotiations right now.)

A couple of the business type breeders I visited turned me off. Not only did they try a hard sell on their show dogs, which I always hate and I am in sales, but they really didn't seem to be dog people. They were doing it for a living, but their operation had way too much of a puppy mill feel for my taste.

I bought Spenser from a back yard breeder, and their entire operation was the guy and his son. They had other full time jobs, but did this because they loved dogs, and it did give them some extra cash.

The mother and father (dogs) were both on site, and I got to spend as much time as I wanted with the pups, playing with them outside their cage. I got to watch them all interact, plus I got a wonderful feel from both parents.

I think your visit to the breeder is a great place to start, as it will give you and your family a great introduction to Aussies. You should be able to see them at work or play. I would stress to the owners though that you aren't interested in showing or breeding your dog; you just want a pet !

I also would strongly recommend you check out the ads in your local paper, or online ads (craigslist ?) to see if anyone has Aussies listed. Our paper usually has 2-3 ads any given week listing Aussies for sale.

littlejohn

billybreen
11-08-2008, 12:05 PM
When I was doing my research on Aussies, I too was stunned at the price tag for some of them. Again, for some people this is their "job", so the operation is very commercial. They only have the breeding operation to make money, and there is nothing wrong with that.

If they are running a puppy mill, there's something very, very wrong with that.

YmoBeThere
11-08-2008, 06:33 PM
Anyone had much experience with Dachsunds?

billybreen
11-08-2008, 06:40 PM

Some friends had them when I was growing up. From that small sample size, they had a tendency to get bitey in old age. Also, they look like dorks.

YmoBeThere
11-08-2008, 06:44 PM
they had a tendency to get bitey in old age. Also, they look like dorks.

I have heard that also. And they do look a little dorky.

Lavabe
11-08-2008, 07:12 PM
If they are running a puppy mill, there's something very, very wrong with that.

On a serious note, how does one spot puppy mills from ads and internet offers for pups?

Thanks,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
11-08-2008, 09:20 PM

Big dog mindset, little dog body = fierce bark, but too small to feel threatening (hard not to laugh at them, actually.) They were bred to kill little things in tight spaces; I've seen them play fetch with a ball thrown under a table, for hours. Can have a tendency to bad backs, due to their length - may have to be careful with them getting up on furniture/standing on hind legs, etc.

billybreen
11-08-2008, 09:42 PM
On a serious note, how does one spot puppy mills from ads and internet offers for pups?

It's pretty tricky. My mom is a life long dog owner and has a lot of experience finding puppies, and she's still shown up at a few places and realized they were mills. The best bet is to call the owner, make sure the puppies are AKC registered, and try to find out some information about the parents. Our dog was from a family that had a beloved family pet who they wanted to breed so they could always have a puppy of hers in the family. They were just selling others from the litter. A situation like that is the best case scenario.

Or, you could go the truly noble route and rescue a pound puppy.

Lavabe
11-09-2008, 11:12 AM
The best bet is to call the owner, make sure the puppies are AKC registered, and try to find out some information about the parents.

But it is also quite possible that a place NOT registered with AKC is not a puppy mill?

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
11-09-2008, 11:14 AM
But it is also quite possible that a place NOT registered with AKC is not a puppy mill?

Definitely. And I don't think the AKC even registers those boutiquey breeds (labradoodle, puggle, earljam, cockerpoo), but I may be wrong about that.

Lavabe
11-10-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks to littlejohn, we now have two places to visit this weekend.

Cheers,
Lavabe

DukieInKansas
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM
Definitely. And I don't think the AKC even registers those boutiquey breeds (labradoodle, puggle, earljam, cockerpoo), but I may be wrong about that.

:eek:Bold added above - this breed should be registered somewhere. :D

billybreen
11-10-2008, 04:47 PM

It's registered with 'To Catch a Predator.'

BD80
11-10-2008, 10:32 PM

I believe each state has its own offender registry. There is also a federal offender registry.

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 03:36 PM
So we put our money down on a 6-wk old black, brown, and white Aussie. We'll be picking her up at 8 weeks.

Thanks to all of you who made excellent suggestions along the way. We found a good breeder who will help us get adjusted to our new pup. I have to say that the blue merle puppies were beautiful, but were both rambunctious males, one of which was show material.

Our pup is laid back.

So the next issue is:

What to call her?

So far, Devildeac is in the lead. It'll be hard to beat his suggestion: Georgia. Thinking along those lines, I figured on another famous Duke women's basketball player. I am lobbying for Abby (which was also the name of one of the females in one of my lemur study groups).

We're open to all reasonable suggestions.

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
11-16-2008, 03:45 PM
So we put our money down on a 6-wk old black, brown, and white Aussie. We'll be picking her up at 8 weeks.

Thanks to all of you who made excellent suggestions along the way. We found a good breeder who will help us get adjusted to our new pup. I have to say that the blue merle puppies were beautiful, but were both rambunctious males, one of which was show material.

Our pup is laid back.

So the next issue is:

What to call her?

So far, Devildeac is in the lead. It'll be hard to beat his suggestion: Georgia. Thinking along those lines, I figured on another famous Duke women's basketball player. I am lobbying for Abby (which was also the name of one of the females in one of my lemur study groups).

We're open to all reasonable suggestions.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Congrats! That's great to hear.

Call her 'Rufus.' That's what we were planning to call our next dog, and we were planning to get a girl. You can make it work.

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 03:54 PM
Congrats! That's great to hear.

Call her 'Rufus.' That's what we were planning to call our next dog, and we were planning to get a girl. You can make it work.

Chaka Khan won't work either.;)

Cavlaw
11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
Congratulations! Now make sure you take the dog to the vet ASAP when you get it. There are a lot of problems that dogs can develop in their early weeks if not properly cared for, parvo virus being the worst of them (and it's entirely preventable).

If you were in the triangle I could give you a top notch recommendation for someone to see.

In Kentucky, the best I can offer is: a lot of the best vets charge more money, but the prices are worth it. They also provide you "best treatment" options, and then move down in price from there. Beware of vets who are overbooked and try to do a volume practice - vets that charge for appointment slots and give you a full 30-45 minutes and talk to you will provide much better care for your animal over the long term. Also, anyone who thinks their primary job is to be a good steward of your money is an idiot - your vet is not your accountant. Their first priority should be caring for your animal, second priority should be finding the best options for the means you have available.

Just my opinion.

billybreen
11-16-2008, 04:15 PM
Chaka Khan won't work either.;)

What about 'Throaty'?

sue71, esq
11-16-2008, 04:16 PM

Lava, ILJ, & LL,

Congratulations!!! All the best with the newest member of the family, and please post pics as soon as you can!

Happy Housebreaking,
Sue71

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 04:31 PM
What about 'Throaty'?

My daughter just nixed Throaty's wife's name. And ArkieDukie is out of the running too.;)

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 04:35 PM
Lava, ILJ, & LL,

Congratulations!!! All the best with the newest member of the family, and please post pics as soon as you can!

Happy Housebreaking,
Sue71

I hope this works. Ours is on the left side of the photo.

Cheers,
Lavabe

sue71, esq
11-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

OMG how cute! I definitely like yours the best of the bunch! Again, best wishes!

What about naming her Coach?

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 04:51 PM
OMG how cute! I definitely like yours the best of the bunch! Again, best wishes!

What about naming her Coach?

Thanks. Does Coach P have green eyes too?

The best part of going over there today was doing exactly what littlejohn asked us to do. The pups' mom was not there, but we got to meet the dad, and that helped eased some of ILJ's concerns about the size of the full grown dog. The pups were little fur balls, and fell asleep in our arms. Although the two boys wrestled and nipped a bit, our puppy licked ILJ's nose, and responded well to all of us. The breeder has 7 kids of her own, and the pups were used to kids.

Cheers,
Lavabe

billybreen
11-16-2008, 04:53 PM
That's an awesome puppy.

DukieInKansas
11-16-2008, 07:44 PM
Name suggestion: Littlejohn. You could call her Lil for short - people will probably think you named her Lily.

TillyGalore
11-16-2008, 08:08 PM
Congratulations! She's a cutie. Will you get to see her again before you pick her up?

Name suggestions:
Kay (girl for Coach K)
Domino
Tatiana
Aki
Solitaire
Anya
Bibi
Lisl
Pola
Lupe

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 08:25 PM
Congratulations! She's a cutie. Will you get to see her again before you pick her up?

Name suggestions:
Kay (girl for Coach K)
Domino
Tatiana
Aki
Solitaire
Anya
Bibi
Lisl
Pola
Lupe

LL nixed Domino and Anya. Domino would work if we went border collie. ILJ and I nixed Bibi, Lisl, Pola, and Lupe.

Tatiana is a favorite of mine (one of adult female crowned lemurs had that name), but it is not a favorite here.

Aki & Solitaire have potential.

I think devildeac is closer to nailing the name game. Will see what the women here at home think about "Alana."

wilson
11-16-2008, 08:29 PM
Clearly, you should name her Abdelnaby.

Lavabe
11-16-2008, 08:36 PM
Clearly, you should name her Abdelnaby.

Did Alaa have a sister?;)

I wonder if Shavlik had a sister?:D

YmoBeThere
11-16-2008, 08:59 PM
Congrats on the puppy!

wilson
11-16-2008, 09:02 PM

You don't wanna do that. Then you'd have to cut all her meals into bite size pieces for her.

wilson
11-16-2008, 09:03 PM
Maybe you could name her Nan?

CathyCA
11-16-2008, 10:12 PM
She is adorable!

Off the top of my head:

Peaches (inspired by Georgia)
Lilith
Bonnie (Blue Devil)

Indoor66
11-16-2008, 10:14 PM
Cute puppy. Maybe Dora?

devildeac
11-16-2008, 10:54 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Shoulda bought all 3. One for each of you:D.

devildeac
11-16-2008, 10:55 PM
Did Alaa have a sister?;)

IIRC, I think he does.

devildeac
11-16-2008, 10:56 PM
You don't wanna do that. Then you'd have to cut all her meals into bite size pieces for her.

Ooh, mean. But amusing. Mildly.

Lavabe
11-17-2008, 05:41 AM
Shoulda bought all 3. One for each of you:D.

As it is, I'm the lone male in a household of now three females.:o

The photo doesn't do justice to the males.

Lavabe
11-17-2008, 05:51 AM
She is adorable!

Off the top of my head:

Peaches (inspired by Georgia)
Lilith
Bonnie (Blue Devil)

With ILJ's music background, we toyed with classical musical figures. It would work if we had gone Samoyed, except that we just couldn't stop laughing with:

HERE MUSSORGSKY! HERE TCHAIKOWSKY! HERE KATCHUTAURIAN!

An Australian theme might have worked, but technically, Aussies are an American dog breed.

It's going to be hard to beat Georgia, especially given the BG3 photo with the noted basketball player. I am hoping that the poster who coined "the Atlanta Mafia," Indoor66, would come up with something to rival Georgia. Dora simply won't work.;)

wilson
11-17-2008, 08:25 AM
With ILJ's music background, we toyed with classical musical figures. It would work if we had gone Samoyed, except that we just couldn't stop laughing with:

An Australian theme might have worked, but technically, Aussies are an American dog breed.

It's going to be hard to beat Georgia, especially given the BG3 photo with the noted basketball player. I am hoping that the poster who coined "the Atlanta Mafia," Indoor66, would come up with something to rival Georgia. Dora simply won't work.;)

How about Carmen? It works as a nod to ILJ's musical bent, and it could be short for Carmen Wallace.

devildeac
11-17-2008, 08:36 AM

When she is registered, you will need to come up with more than Georgia for her "official" name as I would suspect there are probably eleventy billion other hounds named Georgia, so be planning that strategy, too. My suggestion: [Sweet] Georgia [Brown]. You get the reference. I'd suggest more, but...

littlejohn
11-17-2008, 11:45 AM
Lav,

Congratulations, she's gorgeous !

Always fun to welcome a great new family to the 'Aussie Clan'.

Take your time with the name; one that fits will come to you. (I had Spenser for 2 weeks before I settled on a name.) Do you know the names of the mother and father ? Those might help.

Depending on how Duke-centric you want to get, what about Mickie ?

My wife saw the pic, had a flashback to our trip to Italy a couple of years ago & she immediately said - Bella.

I've always really liked the names Emma and Cassie. Just remember, whatever you choose, will be with you for a long time. She will recognize the sound of her name, but it will be you guys that cringe at Muffin, or Puddin', or Fuzz Butt, after the "cuteness" wears off.

One "dog" point to remember. Most trainers will tell you a one or two syllable name is best. You want something short and sweet when you give her a command. 'Wandering Rose Lavabe the First' is a bit much to get out when you are trying to give her the sit command.

Congratulations again !!!

littlejohn

sue71, esq
11-17-2008, 01:49 PM

My wife saw the pic, had a flashback to our trip to Italy a couple of years ago & she immediately said - Bella.

How is it that NO ONE mentioned Mickie? Awesome. Just awesome.

I also like Bella, but with this whole Twilight thing now... ehhhhhhh, pass.

littlejohn
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
Just to show you how out of the loop I am:

"this whole Twilight thing" ???

What does this refer to ?

Thanks

lj

sue71, esq
11-17-2008, 02:19 PM
Just to show you how out of the loop I am:

"this whole Twilight thing" ???

What does this refer to ?

Thanks

lj

It's a series of teenage vampire books that has a crazy following. The movie comes out this week I think. Think cult following. Teenage cult following. Ask BostonDevil how she liked it. ;)

Anyway, there's a character named Bella.

littlejohn
11-17-2008, 03:42 PM
Ahhh...that explains it. Only kids we have are all four legged, and the only thing they like to read is the label on their dog/cat/horse food.

littlejohn

sue71, esq
11-17-2008, 03:44 PM
Ahhh...that explains it. Only kids we have are all four legged, and the only thing they like to read is the label on their dog/cat/horse food.

littlejohn

Ha! Chloe doesn't care about the label... she just wants whatever is in the can/bag/etc. :rolleyes:

Lavabe
11-17-2008, 03:58 PM
It's a series of teenage vampire books that has a crazy following. The movie comes out this week I think. Think cult following. Teenage cult following. Ask BostonDevil how she liked it. ;)

Anyway, there's a character named Bella.

The breeder named our puppy Twilight.:eek::eek::eek:
This is too freaky!!

My wife and I like Bella ... ultimately, it has to meet the approval of our daughter. But Bella is gaining strength. And hey, it's almost like Bela Bartok.

Freaky cheers,
Lavabe

TillyGalore
11-17-2008, 04:00 PM
This is too freaky!!

My wife and I like Bella ... ultimately, it has to meet the approval of our daughter. But Bella is gaining strength. And hey, it's almost like Bela Bartok.

Freaky cheers,
Lavabe

Did you have to mention Bela Bartok? I HATE Bela Bartok.

But, I do like the name Bella.

DukePA
11-17-2008, 08:29 PM
Lav,

Congratulations, she's gorgeous !

Always fun to welcome a great new family to the 'Aussie Clan'.

Take your time with the name; one that fits will come to you. (I had Spenser for 2 weeks before I settled on a name.) Do you know the names of the mother and father ? Those might help.

I've always really liked the names Emma and Cassie. Just remember, whatever you choose, will be with you for a long time. She will recognize the sound of her name, but it will be you guys that cringe at Muffin, or Puddin', or Fuzz Butt, after the "cuteness" wears off.

One "dog" point to remember. Most trainers will tell you a one or two syllable name is best. You want something short and sweet when you give her a command. 'Wandering Rose Lavabe the First' is a bit much to get out when you are trying to give her the sit command.

Congratulations again !!!

littlejohn

It's hilarious that you mentioned Fuzz Butt. We had a rabbit named Fuzz Butt. He was black with tan paws and belly. He was so cute and of course had no idea what his name was.

Lavabe, ILJ, and LL: congrats on the new pup. She is so cute!

wilson
11-17-2008, 09:02 PM
This is too freaky!!

Freaky cheers,
Lavabe

I know a bunch of dogs named Bella. I'm kind of tired of it. Just sayin'.
What about Chausiriporn? Or Nirapathpongporn? Maybe Van Gorp?

BlueDevilBaby
11-18-2008, 09:59 AM
Too cute! My first thought on seeing the picture was Shadow.

Lavabe
11-18-2008, 10:23 AM
I know a bunch of dogs named Bella. I'm kind of tired of it. Just sayin'.
What about Chausiriporn? Or Nirapathpongporn? Maybe Van Gorp?

I have never golfed. So no on the first two. EEK! On the last one, I don't think our puppy will grow to be that tall!;)

Oh yeah ... no on Nan.:D

A lot of dogs named Bella? Between you and devildeac's claim of eleventy billion Georgia's, I guess we won't have an original name for an Aussie.

devildeac: As for Sweet Georgia Brown, we could go with Newcastle;) Nahh!

Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
11-18-2008, 10:32 AM
I guess you should just name her Heather Sue (http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2000/1012/814211.html).

devildeac
11-18-2008, 11:35 AM
I have never golfed. So no on the first two. EEK! On the last one, I don't think our puppy will grow to be that tall!;)

Oh yeah ... no on Nan.:D

A lot of dogs named Bella? Between you and devildeac's claim of eleventy billion Georgia's, I guess we won't have an original name for an Aussie.

devildeac: As for Sweet Georgia Brown, we could go with Newcastle;) Nahh!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Or Indian Brown or Downtown Brown or, nevermind

devildeac
11-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I guess you should just name her Heather Sue (http://espn.go.com/ncf/news/2000/1012/814211.html).

I'd kick that one out right away:o.

devildeac
11-18-2008, 11:34 PM
If you like Georgia, go ahead and use it for the dog's "common" or "given" name. You'll just have to be prepared to register her with some long name that no one else is likely to have. For example, our cocker was Sandy to all of us, but for the AKC registry, we used Lady Cassandra XXIII. I'm guessing there were several million other cockers named Sandy:o:D. So, you can say, "sit, Georgia, or "fetch my Schlafly's, Georgia," but the name on the "papers" will be something like: Madame Lindsey ILJ Legacy Alana Mickie Cameron Amanda Georgia Lavabe:D. You could also call her "G" for short;).

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 01:34 PM
No, I haven't given up on lemurs. We still have about 10 days before we get Sweet Georgia Brown (or whatever her name will be). In the meantime, my daughter would like to see the pup's picture.

Lemurs will return soon enough.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 03:29 PM
Although the link is from Harvard, the anthropologist is now at Duke. I figured some out there might enjoy the article:
http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/02.19/05-dog.html

Cheers,
Lavabe

TillyGalore
11-20-2008, 04:07 PM
Although the link is from Harvard, the anthropologist is now at Duke. I figured some out there might enjoy the article:
http://www.hno.harvard.edu/gazette/2004/02.19/05-dog.html

Cheers,
Lavabe

Are there any feline anthropologists?

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Are there any feline anthropologists?

Cool. Does Moneypenny want to discuss Malinowski?;)

I believe the first record of cats near humans is in an archaeological site dating back some 10,000 years ago. Cats figure prominently in Egyptian remains. There's bound to be a cultural anthropologist who has looked at cats in light of human/environment interaction.

Fish80
11-20-2008, 04:26 PM
Congratulations on the puppy! I love puppies! :D

I was out of town on assignment and had to basically drop off the radar. I come back and you've done gone and bought a dog! Sweet!

I highly recommend a puppy class when she's old enough. We took our Kayla at about 3 months. The socialization is great fun and very important for the dog's social development. And training the trainer is a must.

I'm in the middle of reading Merle's Door by Ted Kerasote. Merle's Door is a great read for dog lovers.

TillyGalore
11-20-2008, 04:40 PM
Cool. Does Moneypenny want to discuss Malinowski?;)

I believe the first record of cats near humans is in an archaeological site dating back some 10,000 years ago. Cats figure prominently in Egyptian remains. There's bound to be a cultural anthropologist who has looked at cats in light of human/environment interaction.

She may not discuss, but she certainly will listen. :D

IIRC, cats were revered by the Egyptians. In fact, I think the Egyptians thought cats were sacred.

Lavabe
11-20-2008, 08:11 PM
She may not discuss, but she certainly will listen. :D

IIRC, cats were revered by the Egyptians. In fact, I think the Egyptians thought cats were sacred.

They also revered dogs. The breed... salukis. :eek::eek:

Some were mummified alongside humans.

devildeac
11-21-2008, 07:47 AM

Looks like the Carbondale species was mummified alongside the Blue Devils last PM:eek:.

TillyGalore
11-21-2008, 01:04 PM

Were cats mummified as well? I think I've heard that, but not sure. I'm only an expert on Katie, Spencer, and Moneypenny, my little darlin's. :)

Lavabe
11-21-2008, 01:12 PM
Were cats mummified as well? I think I've heard that, but not sure. I'm only an expert on Katie, Spencer, and Moneypenny, my little darlin's. :)

Google "cat mummies" and look at the images you get.

They most certainly did.

I wouldn't mind if the Davidson Wildcats meet the same fate as the Salukis did last night against the Blue Devils.

wilson
11-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I wouldn't mind if the Davidson Wildcats meet the same fate as the Salukis did last night against the Blue Devils.

Me neither, but if we beat Davidson by 25, I'll buy you lunch.

TillyGalore
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Google "cat mummies" and look at the images you get.

They most certainly did.

Now I know what to do with the little darlin's when their time comes. I'm kidding.

Lavabe
11-21-2008, 02:13 PM
Me neither, but if we beat Davidson by 25, I'll buy you lunch.

In the meantime, consider the Sweetwater Brewery Tour Court Hearing sometime later in December.

Note: If the puppy's name winds up being Georgia (after Sweet Georgia Brown AND Georgia Schweitzer), she will have to make the pilgrimage to the brewhouse.

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
11-21-2008, 03:09 PM
Need to show ILJ the allenmurray page:D;)

wilson
11-21-2008, 05:32 PM
In the meantime, consider the Sweetwater Brewery Tour Court Hearing sometime later in December.

Note: If the puppy's name winds up being Georgia (after Sweet Georgia Brown AND Georgia Schweitzer), she will have to make the pilgrimage to the brewhouse.

Cheers,
Lavabe

If you name her Sweet Georgia Brown, then you can't just casually whistle to call her...you have to whistle the whole song.

Lavabe
11-21-2008, 05:50 PM
If you name her Sweet Georgia Brown, then you can't just casually whistle to call her...you have to whistle the whole song.

Assumption #1: Lavabe can whistle (answer: barely).:o

Great mystery of life: how do folks do the loud whistle that involves putting two fingers to your teeth?

Seriously.

Thanks,
Lavabe

wilson
11-21-2008, 05:52 PM

Great mystery of life: how do folks do the loud whistle that involves putting two fingers to your teeth?

Seriously.

Thanks,
Lavabe

That's a real shame...whistling is among my favorite pastimes, and I've been told I'm pretty good at it.
I can't do the between-the-teeth thing, though I really wish I could.

-jk
11-21-2008, 06:20 PM

Seriously.

Thanks,
Lavabe

I have one of those loud whistles (or so my friends tell me when they hear it over the TV or sit next to me). It took me about 1,000 miles of solo driving (on a trip from LA, CA to Derm) to figure it out.

You flatten the front of your tongue and curl it up just a bit. Then put two fingertips on the (now exposed) bottom, front of the tongue, tighten your lips, and blow. Hard. Lather, rinse, repeat.

My little brother, the tuba playing marathon runner, is louder.

If you're curious, you can hear me on Sunday from Section 14, especially during Montana's free throws.

-jk

Lavabe
11-21-2008, 06:22 PM
I have one of those loud whistles (or so my friends tell me when they hear it over the TV or sit next to me). It took me about 1,000 miles of solo driving (on a trip from LA, CA to Derm) to figure it out.

You flatten the front of your tongue and curl it up just a bit. Then put two fingertips on the (now exposed) bottom, front of the tongue, tighten your lips, and blow. Hard. Lather, rinse, repeat.

If you're curious, you can hear me on Sunday from Section 14, especially during Montana's free throws.

-jk

I just splattered all over my screen.:o

wilson
11-21-2008, 06:23 PM

HAHAHA I was about to post exactly the same thing, but you beat me to it.
Off with your head.

-jk
11-21-2008, 09:47 PM

Hey! You asked.

-jk

2535Miles
11-22-2008, 03:35 AM

-jk
I'm practicing in between posts. The cats don't like it. Insomnia is great.

Lavabe
11-22-2008, 03:57 PM
The kennel has updated photos of our pup (Twilight) at their website:

http://www.independencekennelky.com/availablepuppies.html

devildeac: Earlier, you suggested we get all three. Look what the two brothers are going for!:eek::eek:

devildeac
11-22-2008, 04:04 PM

devildeac: Earlier, you suggested we get all three. Look what the two brothers are going for!:eek::eek:

I can't tell from the photos but I'm hoping they're ripping a unc shirt/hat/whatever to shreds:D.

devildeac
11-22-2008, 04:07 PM
If the puppy whines all the time, will you name her Dean(a)?:D

wilson
11-22-2008, 06:41 PM

Oh just stop it. That puppy is too stinkin' cute.

DevilAlumna
11-22-2008, 11:31 PM

Wow, what a pretty little thing!

I'd take the blue-eyed brother in a heartbeat if I could.

sue71, esq
11-22-2008, 11:35 PM

I like yours best. :)

Lavabe
11-23-2008, 10:46 AM
I like yours best. :)

Same here.

But I'll let littlejohn offer an opinion on the other two. $1500 a pup!! I mean, DA is right about the blue-eyed puppy, but that's a price WAY out of our league.

FWIW, GHOST is just a wonderful sweet boy.

Odd tidbit: Twilight has the following in her pedigree: Say No More Carolina.

OH WOW!!! A third Dukie in the family! I wonder if Legacy Lady can add her dog onto her legacy part of the Duke application in a few years.;)

sue71, esq
11-23-2008, 12:01 PM
Same here.

But I'll let littlejohn offer an opinion on the other two. $1500 a pup!! I mean, DA is right about the blue-eyed puppy, but that's a price WAY out of our league.

FWIW, GHOST is just a wonderful sweet boy.

Odd tidbit: Twilight has the following in her pedigree: Say No More Carolina.

OH WOW!!! A third Dukie in the family! I wonder if Legacy Lady can add her dog onto her legacy part of the Duke application in a few years.;)

I don't think you could've found a more perfect dog! Now you have to include Duke or Blue Devils somewhere in the pedigree name. Duke's Georgia Legacy Lady? Legacy's Blue Devil Went Down To Georgia? Can 9F be incorporated somehow? :D

sue71, esq
11-23-2008, 02:44 PM
Legacy Lady's Georgia of Duke 9F :D:D:D

littlejohn
11-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Lav,

She gets more gorgeous every day ?

When do you get to bring her home & have you guys picked a name ?

regards,

litlejohn

Lavabe
11-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Lav,

She gets more gorgeous every day ?

When do you get to bring her home & have you guys picked a name ?

regards,

litlejohn

Looks like we will bring her home Sunday 11/30. Got her crate. Need to assemble it.

The name game is still up in the air. Legacy Lady is doing a poll of here friends. I'll try to put one up on the DBR.

Cheers,
Lavabe

colchar
11-23-2008, 09:55 PM

She looks quite a bit like my brother and future sister-in-law's mini Aussie.

Lavabe
11-30-2008, 08:54 PM
Well, we have puppy now, and in the midst of getting used to her, and getting her used to our house.

I.e., a few issues with voiding herself on the carpet, but so far no large issues with waste.

So yes, we're trying to learn when she needs to void, and that's a bit tiring... on us.

Meanwhile, I think the puppy is getting used to me at the lead. I am trying to get LL more used to it, making sure she recognizes that she can't treat the dog like a human. She is now playing away with puppy. I think all is calming down.

ILJ had to hold on to puppy on the hourlong ride home from the breeder. Lots of wimpering and unfamiliarity on the part of the puppy. LL was a little jealous of ILJ, but I think the puppy will let LL be big playmate. We'll see.

The puppy is a bit larger than the last time we saw her (duh) two weeks ago. But she is just as lovely as we remembered her. She's already playing ball with LL. I hope her house training will go smoothly.

Any thoughts and suggestions on house training will be greatly appreciated. We have her crate all set up, and are not giving in to her whimpers/howls.

Did I say she eats and howls like a wolf?

Thanks to all the dog fanciers on the DBR. I hope we can make it through this opening week!

As for the name ... we don't have it yet. It is, however, down to Abby and Georgia. Who will win this battle of Duke women's basketball: Ms. W or Ms. S?

Cheers,
Lavabe

DukePA
11-30-2008, 09:10 PM
Welcome home little girl! Give her a big belly rub for me. I would have a hard time not spoiling her rotten. She is so cute!

sue71, esq
11-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Well, we have puppy now, and in the midst of getting used to her, and getting her used to our house.

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay! Welcome home, young lady! Please post new pics... :D

STILL stuck on the name, I see... :(

wilson
11-30-2008, 09:56 PM
Any thoughts and suggestions on house training will be greatly appreciated. We have her crate all set up, and are not giving in to her whimpers/howls.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Just take her out every time you have a minute, even if it's only been 45 minutes or so since you last went out. Give her a few minutes and try not to take her back inside until she's gone, even if she just squeezes out a tiny little bit. Every time she does, pet her, love her, praise her as if she's just scored a major accomplishment. Tell her what a good girl she's been, make a fool of yourself...all dogs, but especially puppies, respond to the tone of your voice, and the more you coo and fawn over her, the more pleased she'll be with herself, and the more she'll want to please you again. For that matter, always talk to your dog. They love the sound of your voice, even if what you're saying makes no sense. If the tone is right, you could even be telling her what a blockhead she is and I guarantee you'll see her little tail wag.
Also, before you go out, say to her, "Wanna go out? Let's go out. Outside is good. How about coming out with me, Van Gorp?" Just use the word "out" or "outside" profusely. You'll be really surprised at how quickly she'll come to recognize the word. Even before she has learned to tell you she needs to go out, she'll respond favorably when you ask her if she needs to go out. You can also introduce other words..."potty," "do your business," whatever. Just use a consistent and rather short list of words for a while, until she at least begins to get the knack.
Another trick you can try: Hang a bell on the door. Give it a shake so it rings every time you go out with her. Before long, she'll go to the door and ring the bell when she needs to go out. This works like a charm with at least some dogs, and it's also not a bad parlor trick.

littlejohn
11-30-2008, 10:09 PM
lav,

We use the term "get busy", but whatever you use, the previous poster was correct, she will recognize the phrase very shortly. Also, if you take her to the area you want her to potty in, she might learn that is where you want her to go. 2 of the 3 of ours learned that, but not the 3rd. Lots of praise.

Part of the howling for the 1st day or so is her being separated from her old pack. You guys will quickly supplant her old pack, so that should stop soon.

Don't forget to cover her crate so she feels like she is in a den to feel safe and secure.

Even though she means you will have to take turns getting up at night to take her out, very shortly you will wonder what you ever did without her.

warm regards,

littlejohn

devildeac
11-30-2008, 10:10 PM

I.e., a few issues with voiding herself on the carpet, but so far no large issues with waste.

So yes, we're trying to learn when she needs to void, and that's a bit tiring... on us.

Meanwhile, I think the puppy is getting used to me at the lead. I am trying to get LL more used to it, making sure she recognizes that she can't treat the dog like a human. She is now playing away with puppy. I think all is calming down.

ILJ had to hold on to puppy on the hourlong ride home from the breeder. Lots of wimpering and unfamiliarity on the part of the puppy. LL was a little jealous of ILJ, but I think the puppy will let LL be big playmate. We'll see.

The puppy is a bit larger than the last time we saw her (duh) two weeks ago. But she is just as lovely as we remembered her. She's already playing ball with LL. I hope her house training will go smoothly.

Did I say she eats and howls like a wolf?

Thanks to all the dog fanciers on the DBR. I hope we can make it through this opening week!

As for the name ... we don't have it yet. It is, however, down to Abby and Georgia. Who will win this battle of Duke women's basketball: Ms. W or Ms. S?

Cheers,
Lavabe

She needs a reward, too, for everytime she does her business outside. We used to use a part of a doggie biscuit. You don't want her looking like "Big Jelly" after just a few weeks of house-training. It would be interesting to hear, too, if she should get a firm "no" and a very light swat on the hind quarters for doing her business indoors.

wilson
11-30-2008, 10:21 PM
She needs a reward, too, for everytime she does her business outside. We used to use a part of a doggie biscuit. You don't want her looking like "Big Jelly" after just a few weeks of house-training. It would be interesting to hear, too, if she should get a firm "no" and a very light swat on the hind quarters for doing her business indoors.

We've never used material rewards for housetraining, just lots and lots of love, and we've always done fine. You also don't need to swat her when she goes inside. Put her face right near the offending material (but of course not in it), with a firm "no" or two.
As for the crate, she'll acclimate very quickly. Walter barked/yipped/whined for about an hour the first night, ten or fifteen minutes the second night, and then never again. I didn't cover his crate, but I did give him several blankets and other snuggly things. Also, if you have an old t-shirt or other article of clothing that you're willing to part with (something that smells like you), stick that in there. It will help her learn that she's part of your pack now and also give her the comfort of knowing that her people aren't far away.

wilson
11-30-2008, 10:25 PM
One other thing: after you find a mess in the house and have your little heart-to-heart with the little one, take her outside immediately. This endeavor works best if there are two people around. You really do want to clean stains up as soon as you find them (this obviously won't always be immediately), because it keeps them from setting and leaving lingering smells that can encourage her to return to that spot, but right after you find her messes and scold her, she needs to go outside. And remember, tell her "let's go outside."

CathyCA
12-01-2008, 12:37 AM
Awwww. . . she's so cute! Welcome home, Gabby! <----(Combining her 2 potential names)

littlejohn
12-01-2008, 09:31 AM
Wilson,

The pup might be traumatized by Lav's shirt. ;-) Better to make it ILJ's or LL's, so the poor pup would have a better smell !

littlejohn

littlejohn
12-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Lav,

FYI, on hard floor surfaces we use a spray bottle with 25-50 % vinegar & water to clean up "mistakes". It works great and is a safe cleaner to have around. In fact, we use it for all sorts of cleaning.

littlejohn

devildeac
12-01-2008, 12:16 PM
And, BTW, Schlafly's (or O'Fallon's or Great Lakes or...) are not appropriate rewards for "jobs" well done or tricks learned:rolleyes:. Wonder if anyone make Blue Devil doggie treats;).

Lavabe
12-01-2008, 12:26 PM
The Schlafly's will be for me once we're over this phase.:)

Fish80
12-01-2008, 01:20 PM
Yay! :D

When can we arrange a play date for our puppies? My puppy weighs 67 pounds now! She's 7 months and a big girl, and only a few pounds over weight. How much does Georgiabby weigh?

For potty training, and training in general, I find the most success with consistency and positive reinforcement. It's important that your entire family is consistent with their approach and their word choice. This really helps the puppy get it.

We say "go potty outside" with lots of good girl, good girl. Animated excitement really reinforces the message.

JMHO: I don't use any "discipline" with potty training. If she has an accident, I just take her outside and say "go potty outside". But that's just me, I wasn't comfortable punishing her for that. I felt like it was 90% my fault for not getting her out in time.

Learning her pattern is the key. If you get her outside before she can't hold it any longer, she'll be potty trained in a matter of days.

Most dogs don't want to soil their nest. And some dogs really like privacy. If you want her to go in a particular area, take her there as often as possible when she needs to go. And if the area has some privacy, that may help. Tall grass, or behind a bush or a rock works well.

Windsor
12-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Congratulations on the new arrival. She is a cutie.

I'll concur with those who use a word for going potty outside (I use 'hurry up' because I can say it anywhere without feeling too stupid - and no, none of the boys has ever misunderstood me when I used 'hurry up' in general conversation)

I've found that just a sharp sound (mine is kind of an 'eh' sound, but harsh sounding) and a quick scooping up of the puppy and a dash outdoors is all I needed. I always took them out after they woke up and after they ate. I took them on lead (even though the yard is fenced) so I would be right there to praise when they did something outside. No playing with the puppy outside until after they do their business!!

At night if they whined in the crate after having been asleep I put them out, but very matter of factly - pick up puppy carry outside...if they do soemthing then 'good puppy!! little scratch...little hug and back in the crate. If after three or four minutes they didn't do anything I picked them back up and put them back in crate - no good puppy, no cuddles. You want her to learn 'if I cry I can go out and pee' not 'if I cry it is play time'. If the puppy is crying in the crate in general try moving it next the your bed. All three of my guys started next to me and if they cried I'd put my hand in the crate (no petting!) and they usually settled right down.l After a week or so I moved the crate away from the bed and never had a problem. Make sure the crate is small enough that she can't pee in it (dogs will avoid peeing where they sleep) if it is a large crate block half of it off with a box or something. You want enough room to stand up, turn around and that's it.

If you want to treat for going potty outside be careful to treat when they are done going! I have a friend who taught a puppy (accidently) to pee a little and stop...get a cookie pee a little more and stop...get a cookie. Took forever to break the habit.

Good luck with Gabby - oh and if she whines too much don't name her Dean, name her Ivory or Latta

Windsor
12-01-2008, 03:38 PM
One more thing on housebreaking...keep a rolled up newspaper handy. If she goes in the house grab the paper firmly in your hand and smack yourself sharply on the head repeatedly while saying 'I was not watching the puppy....I was not watching the puppy'

I do not correct a dog for doing (or not doing) something when it is becasue they don't know and better . You would not correct her for not sitting on command at her age...don't correct for house accidents unless and until you know she knows where she is supposed to do her business.
This includes putting her nose in/near it (she can smell it from two rooms over) the most I might do with a puppy that age: if I didn't see the accident happen I might point to it and in a disapproving tone say 'what happened here?'

DevilAlumna
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
Lav,

FYI, on hard floor surfaces we use a spray bottle with 25-50 % vinegar & water to clean up "mistakes". It works great and is a safe cleaner to have around. In fact, we use it for all sorts of cleaning.

littlejohn

I also highly recommend "Nature's Miracle" for cleaning up carpet messes -- kills any lingering odors, and doesn't smell bad itself.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=769

Bitter apple is a good deterrent for when she reaches her chewing phase:

http://www.bitterapple.com/

Last recommendation - A book, "The Other End of the Leash (http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leash-What-Around/dp/034544678X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228182122&sr=8-1)," by Patricia McConnell. It's an entertaining, easy read, but will also give you a good perspective on 'training' a dog.

DevilAlumna
12-01-2008, 08:44 PM
P.s. -- pics!!?!

Lavabe
12-01-2008, 09:23 PM
P.s. -- pics!!?!

Not for a while, as the house training is wearing us all down.

Pup drinks water, we take her outside, and she does nothing. Given that the temps are cold, it's snowing, and the dog is not cooperating on the urine front, Lavabe is not happy.

How to get a puppy to understand English instantly?:rolleyes:

Cheers,
Lavabe

Indoor66
12-01-2008, 09:28 PM

Pup drinks water, we take her outside, and she does nothing. Given that the temps are cold, it's snowing, and the dog is not cooperating on the urine front, Lavabe is not happy.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Speak in Lemur.

Lavabe
12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Speak in Lemur.

You tube asked (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wGdVz8VEQ-M) for it.

Lavabe
12-01-2008, 10:37 PM
I also highly recommend "Nature's Miracle" for cleaning up carpet messes -- kills any lingering odors, and doesn't smell bad itself.

Last recommendation - A book, "The Other End of the Leash (http://www.amazon.com/Other-End-Leash-What-Around/dp/034544678X/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1228182122&sr=8-1)," by Patricia McConnell. It's an entertaining, easy read, but will also give you a good perspective on 'training' a dog.

We have the nature's miracle stuff.

One thing we didn't account for. The previous owners of this house had renters in here, and we suspect that they had more than a few urine marks left on the carpet.

D'oh!:eek:

Windsor
12-02-2008, 06:08 AM

Two thumbs up to The Other End of the Leash! One of my favorite dog training/behavior books. Natures Miracle is also great stuff.

Here is an old trainer tricker if she needs encouragement to go outside. The next 'wet' mess you clean up stick the paper towels in a small plastic container with some holes punched in it. Put the container outside where you want her to go. You're are creating an scent marker. Once she goes in that area once or twice you can pitch the container.

If weather is really a problem you could revert to the paper training routine of old. Most people don't bother with it anymore because you essentially train them twice but in extreme circusmtances it might be wroth considering.

Just for a time line...my standard poodle took about a month to train...my Terv took about three weeks. The lab was trained by the Terv (seriously - Wizard could sense when Jester was ready to go and would start whining and herding him toward the door) and took no time at all. No I can't loan you Wizard. I consider a dog house trained when they ask to go out to do their thing....there may still be an occassional oooppps if we aren't quick enough to respond...not unlike a toddler who will give you about 6.3 seconds after the word 'potty' to produce one ... or else.

Puppy breath cures all.

devildeac
12-02-2008, 08:05 AM

Cheers,
Lavabe

You wanted to see it...

(translation: y'all wanted the little cutie-no one said it would be easy)

Fish80
12-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Just for a time line...my standard poodle took about a month to train...my Terv took about three weeks. The lab was trained by the Terv (seriously - Wizard could sense when Jester was ready to go and would start whining and herding him toward the door) and took no time at all. No I can't loan you Wizard. I consider a dog house trained when they ask to go out to do their thing....there may still be an occassional oooppps if we aren't quick enough to respond...not unlike a toddler who will give you about 6.3 seconds after the word 'potty' to produce one ... or else.

Puppy breath cures all.

I think labs are very easy to train. I'm not sure about the Australian Gabby, but since she's very smart I would guess easily trained as well. On the flip side, my beagles were very hard to train.

My lab spent her first 8 weeks with a pack of labs, and I think they had her mostly trained by the time we got her.

One other thought: socialization is very important early in the puppy's development. Interaction not only with young and old children but also just as importantly with other puppies and dogs.

Windsor, do you have any advice for Lavabe on puppy socialization?

Lavabe
12-02-2008, 10:54 AM
We're starting to figure out her schedule, so she's showing signs of understanding "walkies." She does her thing first thing outside, then starts chasing after leaves, herding me, running, etc...

No howling. Minor whimpering in the crate, but even that is diminishing. A few times she makes a slightly different whimper noise that ILJ has interpreted to mean that she needs to go.

Inside the house, it's pretty clear that she is ... well, a puppy. She has a puppy playtime of about 90 minutes, in which she is into every ball. She plays tug o'war and loves to wrestle.

She pulls the companion routine for ILJ while ILJ is working. She simply has to be there at all times. ILJ refers to her as the little black snowball.

So now any thoughts about puppy smell? She has a distinct smell (not too pleasant), and it's getting everywhere.

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Okay... puppy playtime makes up for a lot.

Windsor
12-02-2008, 11:34 AM
One other thought: socialization is very important early in the puppy's development. Interaction not only with young and old children but also just as importantly with other puppies and dogs.

Windsor, do you have any advice for Lavabe on puppy socialization?

You are absolutley right...socialization is extremely important. Herding breeds in particular can be a little spooky and need socialization more than say a lab (generally unflappable). A good summary is here. (http://www.bcrescue.org/socializing.html)

Socialization is easy - take the puppy every where you can - meet as many people of all shapes and sizes as possible. Get as many of them to say hello as possilbe (not hard with a puppy). Different surfaces, different sounds etc etc.

Watch the puppy for signs of fear or stress and respond with a happy voice DO NOT use a consoling 'it is ok little abby..don't be afraid' that tone says to dogs 'there is something to fear here!'. Happy silly goofy voice. 'Lookie the big fat man in the purple and yellow hat!! Silly man!! Tarheel FAN...Go little Abby Wabby pee on his feet wheeee!'
If happy voice doesn't work back the puppy away calmly until she seems to settle.

Other dogs - dogs learn dog manners from other dogs, just like she is learning house manners from you. Things like staring is rude and an act of aggression (big time lesson for herding breeds who use 'eye' to herd). She needs to be around other dogs as much as possible AFTER her second round of shots. My best recommendation is a puppy class at a local training club. Look for a club not a regular for profit business (thou shalt not take thy dog to petsmart for training) message me privately with you location and I see what I can find near you if you like...or check with your breeder or the local ASCA chapter.

Lavabe
12-02-2008, 11:50 AM
Watch the puppy for signs of fear or stress and respond with a happy voice DO NOT use a consoling 'it is ok little abby..don't be afraid' that tone says to dogs 'there is something to fear here!'. Happy silly goofy voice. 'Lookie the big fat man in the purple and yellow hat!! Silly man!! Tarheel FAN...Go little Abby Wabby pee on his feet wheeee!'
If happy voice doesn't work back the puppy away calmly until she seems to settle.

POTD! LOL!

We may not have many Tar Hole fans here, but we DO have UK fans.;)

littlejohn
12-02-2008, 12:19 PM
Lav,

I think one of Windsor's points is the main reason Spenser turned out to be such a wonderful pet therapy dog. We had two crates when he was a pup, so I had him at the office with me. Not only did he get to meet people there, but there is an outdoor shopping center a half a block from work, and I would often take him there for his breaks. People LOVE puppies and so a LOT of people asked if they could pet him. To this day, he has never met a "stranger"; everyone is his friend - exception being a certain pit bull.

It is also important to remember that while an over the top joyful voice is important, it is critical for you and the entire family to remember, 98 % of what Abby/Gabby/Georgia gets from you guys is non verbal. Body language, tone, tension in your arms - all of that and more will be read by her far better than you understand at first.

We took all of our pups through a training class offered at one of the local high schools, as part of their 'adult education' program. I think it cost us $20, and it helped to be around strangers and other dogs of all types and sizes.

You'll be amazed at how quickly she learns the ropes, and her place in her new pack.

littlejohn

rasputin
12-02-2008, 05:38 PM
lav,

We use the term "get busy", but whatever you use, the previous poster was correct, she will recognize the phrase very shortly. Also, if you take her to the area you want her to potty in, she might learn that is where you want her to go. 2 of the 3 of ours learned that, but not the 3rd. Lots of praise.

Part of the howling for the 1st day or so is her being separated from her old pack. You guys will quickly supplant her old pack, so that should stop soon.

Don't forget to cover her crate so she feels like she is in a den to feel safe and secure.

Even though she means you will have to take turns getting up at night to take her out, very shortly you will wonder what you ever did without her.

warm regards,

littlejohn

A donut rolls out of Wiggum's box, out the door, and down the sewer.
The camera tracks it back to Evergreen Terrace, where Reverend
Lovejoy is walking a sheepdog. He stops in front of Flanders' house.

Lovejoy: C'mon boy, this is the spot, right here. That's a good boy,
do your dirty sinful business.

devildeac
12-03-2008, 07:16 AM
We're starting to figure out her schedule, so she's showing signs of understanding "walkies." She does her thing first thing outside, then starts chasing after leaves, herding me, running, etc...

No howling. Minor whimpering in the crate, but even that is diminishing. A few times she makes a slightly different whimper noise that ILJ has interpreted to mean that she needs to go.

Inside the house, it's pretty clear that she is ... well, a puppy. She has a puppy playtime of about 90 minutes, in which she is into every ball. She plays tug o'war and loves to wrestle.

She pulls the companion routine for ILJ while ILJ is working. She simply has to be there at all times. ILJ refers to her as the little black snowball.

So now any thoughts about puppy smell? She has a distinct smell (not too pleasant), and it's getting everywhere.

Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Okay... puppy playtime makes up for a lot.

Puppy smell, hmm...

What did you expect, cascade or simcoe hops:rolleyes:

Lavabe
12-03-2008, 09:45 AM
Puppy smell, hmm...

What did you expect, cascade or simcoe hops:rolleyes:

I had the Storm King last night, just to clear the nasal receptors.

Ymm, Beer.:D

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-03-2008, 10:34 AM
Tried catching up on all the posts. Sorry if there are is any duplication here but a few thoughts on crating and potty training I thought I'd share. We got our little pup in Chicago and lived in a 3rd floor apartment. Needless to say, it was quite challenging to run up and down the stairs w/ her all day long. So we had extra incentive to find things that worked.

I see you are crating. That is great. If it is adjustable, make sure to keep her space just big enough for her to turn around comfortably. You want it to be a smallish space so she feels cozy. We also draped a large towel over the crate to cover the sides and back. That helps with the coziness too. It will help her feel comfortable for extended periods of time. Then you just increase her space inside the crate as she grows.

For several weeks, we only let our little girl out of the crate for potty time, walks and defined periods for play/training time. That's it. It's really key to extending the time that she can hold it. Also, our trainer suggested keeping track of her potty times on a chart and it was incredibly helpful. That way we could literally see how long she was waiting between potty times and how much progress she was making on daily/weekly basis. It was a great management tool for us and we got her trained in about 3-4 weeks.

We trained her to go to the back door to show us when she was ready for potty time. No bell. My brother in law used the bell trick but the dog learned to ring it whenever he wanted to go out, not necessarily for potty time. So unless you want to hear that bell being rung all the time, I'd think twice about it. There are way more impressive things she can do for guests like learning to pick out toys by name. You've got a really smart dog with a high capacity for learning words/commands.

One other piece of advice we got from our trainer. As you start to give her more time out of her crate for play time or even just hanging out, limit her access to a relatively small, confined area of your house. Early on, you don't want her to have free roam of the entire house. That just gives her more places to do bad things. And by keeping her in a defined area, you'll find it easier to watch/manage her house training, chewing, etc.

Best of luck and congrats!

Lavabe
12-03-2008, 05:13 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/ncw/2000/0308/photo/d_duke.jpg

http://www.sevenpack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/sweetwatergeorgiabrown.jpg

http://www.history.com/images/states/images/georgia/georgia-state-main.jpg

Georgia is her name. Will ask that her long name be: Sunny J's Blue Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Puppy Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
12-03-2008, 06:46 PM
http://assets.espn.go.com/media/ncw/2000/0308/photo/d_duke.jpg

http://www.sevenpack.net/wp-content/uploads/2007/11/sweetwatergeorgiabrown.jpg

http://www.history.com/images/states/images/georgia/georgia-state-main.jpg

Georgia is her name. Will ask that her long name be: Sunny J's Blue Devil Went Down to Georgia.

Puppy Cheers,
Lavabe

YES:D!

Fish80
12-05-2008, 08:51 AM
Sweet Georgia! Excellent! :)

Lavabe
12-05-2008, 01:19 PM
Georgia had shots, check-up, deworming, and other issues examined yesterday. Unfortunately, she's been dealing with conjunctivitis this week, so we've had to apply the appropriate medicine. Given that she has responded by scratching near the eye, we have her wearing a collar. Also, she's had a reaction to the corona virus injection, so she is in the vet's observation today.

Poor puppy needs to catch a break!!

She has started bringing the ball to us upon command. Very cool!!

Sometimes she gets worked up and becomes a wild dog. NOT very cool!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Fish80
12-05-2008, 02:29 PM
Georgia had shots, check-up, deworming, and other issues examined yesterday. Unfortunately, she's been dealing with conjunctivitis this week, so we've had to apply the appropriate medicine. Given that she has responded by scratching near the eye, we have her wearing a collar. Also, she's had a reaction to the corona virus injection, so she is in the vet's observation today.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Sorry to hear about the puppy sickness. Here's hoping for a speedy recovery.

I can relate to the wild dog syndrome (WDS)! My puppy goes into hyper mode and we call her "devil dog". If she gets a little too excited, it's like something kicks in, maybe a shot of doggy adrenaline, and it's "go time". She then plays fast, hard, and aggressive. She'll literally run in circles, jump off the furniture and crash into walls.

Now that she's a little older and can go outside, it's easier to deal with this devilish behavior. We can let her go out and blow off some steam.

devildeac
12-05-2008, 11:03 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Next trick?

Fetch the Schlafly's, Georgia. Go get the Schlafly's! Good dog. Good dog!:o:D

sue71, esq
12-05-2008, 11:07 PM
I can relate to the wild dog syndrome (WDS)! My puppy goes into hyper mode and we call her "devil dog". If she gets a little too excited, it's like something kicks in, maybe a shot of doggy adrenaline, and it's "go time". She then plays fast, hard, and aggressive. She'll literally run in circles, jump off the furniture and crash into walls.

Now that she's a little older and can go outside, it's easier to deal with this devilish behavior. We can let her go out and blow off some steam.

Chloe goes through this. I call it Psycho Kitty. Only problem is- I can't take her outside to blow off steam. :rolleyes::eek:

wilson
12-06-2008, 12:13 AM
Crazy Pet Syndrome is totally normal. You did weird, boisterous things when you were a little kid, right? Well this is exactly the same thing. Use it as an opportunity to get Georgia outside to run around for a bit. If she runs for even a minute, she'll have to stop to pee...a good habit to establish.
Above all, just appreciate Psycho Pup as the joyful exuberance it is, and get a good chuckle.

DevilAlumna
12-06-2008, 12:14 PM
Yay for learning fetch! I thought, after a childhood of schnauzers, that it was just something all dogs knew, but I actually had to *teach* my bulldog that he not only has to go get it, but also bring back the toy. He'll do it maybe twice, then get bored. Just looks at me like, "why the heck did you throw it again?:confused:"

As for rampaging puppy, if she's getting nippy or aggressive, our dog trainer recommended sitting down, and holding the dog on your lap/between your legs, with her back against your chest, kind of like you'd hold a baby facing outward. It's a modified submissive pose for the dog (belly exposed), keeps paws and teeth at bay, but also very cuddly/reassuring. And, it's hard to get really mad at a dog when you're hugging her, it will calm you down as well.

devildeac
12-06-2008, 01:54 PM

Cheers,
Lavabe

We used to take our cocker out just about every day in the common area between 2 apartment buildings and chase her around. One stomp of the foot and she'd race around in circles wildly for 15-20 seconds and then rest. We'd repeat that for several minutes as we pretended to chase her and she'd tear around the lawn several more times until she appeared exhausted. She'd take care of her business (in an area away from human traffic), return to the apartment and then take a nice nap:D. I guess she did that for a year or two and then kinda thought "why bother with this nonsense" any more so the 2-3 walks/day became more of a routine.

Lavabe
12-06-2008, 05:47 PM
We used to take our cocker out just about every day in the common area between 2 apartment buildings and chase her around. One stomp of the foot and she'd race around in circles wildly for 15-20 seconds and then rest. We'd repeat that for several minutes as we pretended to chase her and she'd tear around the lawn several more times until she appeared exhausted. She'd take care of her business (in an area away from human traffic), return to the apartment and then take a nice nap:D. I guess she did that for a year or two and then kinda thought "why bother with this nonsense" any more so the 2-3 walks/day became more of a routine.

I do wind sprints, and Georgia herds me.

LL took her out for extended play in the snow today. Georgia also met all the neighborhood kids, and at least one nearby dog. She got along very well with the dog.

Cheers,
Lavabe

devildeac
12-06-2008, 09:22 PM
I do wind sprints, and Georgia herds me.

LL took her out for extended play in the snow today. Georgia also met all the neighborhood kids, and at least one nearby dog. She got along very well with the dog.

Cheers,
Lavabe

I want to see you do wind sprints;). Perhaps we'll do them up and down our hill after a meal or two and a brew or two after the holidays:o.

Lavabe
12-07-2008, 01:25 PM
I want to see you do wind sprints;). Perhaps we'll do them up and down our hill after a meal or two and a brew or two after the holidays:o.

Now that there's snow and ice here, I don't do many of them anymore. I think my ACLs are ready to blow.

Cheers,
Lavabe

littlejohn
12-07-2008, 02:00 PM
Lav,

Since she is already becoming attached to her new pack I need to warn you about something Spenser does, which you have to look out for.

Since he likes to be around us as much as possible, and he is allowed in the kitchen, you need to watch our for Georgia coming up behind you - unnoticed - and lying down right behind you. You could be washing dishes or cooking and bamm ! you almost fall flat on your face because she had come right up behind you and laid down.

You need to be prepped for 'close supervision' !

Enjoy her !

littlejohn

Lavabe
12-07-2008, 02:50 PM
Lav,

Since she is already becoming attached to her new pack I need to warn you about something Spenser does, which you have to look out for.

Since he likes to be around us as much as possible, and he is allowed in the kitchen, you need to watch our for Georgia coming up behind you - unnoticed - and lying down right behind you. You could be washing dishes or cooking and bamm ! you almost fall flat on your face because she had come right up behind you and laid down.

You need to be prepped for 'close supervision' !

Enjoy her !

littlejohn

She has already pulled a Spenser.

LL goes upstairs to get something. Georgia follows her to the stairs, and then stops at the stairs, as she can't go up them just yet. She just waited there until LL headed back down. Once LL came back, Georgia returned to being rambunctious puppy. She very much follows us to a certain point, then waits there until we return.

The vet staff said to ILJ the other day that Aussies are known as biters. Huh? What's up with that? That's the first I've heard of that.

Cheers,
Lavabe

sue71, esq
12-07-2008, 03:01 PM
The vet staff said to ILJ the other day that Aussies are known as biters. Huh? What's up with that? That's the first I've heard of that.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Chloe bites. Ok she bites me and hisses at everyone else, but apparently I'm her designated chew toy.

Have to give the felines equal time here. ;)

littlejohn
12-07-2008, 10:25 PM
Lav,

Never heard of aussies being biters, and we've never had that problem, unless they are talking about the nipping an aussie does when they are herding something or someone.

lj

TillyGalore
12-08-2008, 08:31 AM
Chloe bites. Ok she bites me and hisses at everyone else, but apparently I'm her designated chew toy.

Have to give the felines equal time here. ;)

Moneypenny will put her teeth on my hand, but hasn't broken skin. She usually does it when I'm doing something to her she doesn't like, i.e. trying to rub her belly.

Fish80
12-08-2008, 08:42 AM
I think Windsor already commented on this, but it bears reiterating and also pads my post count. :)

Puppies learn about biting and hurting from other puppies. If one puppy plays too rough, the other puppy will at first let out a little cry or yelp, and eventually stop playing.

When they learn that biting hard hurts, they learn to control the force of their bite.

Playing with other puppies is very important for their development.

Lavabe
12-09-2008, 06:25 AM
So I drop Georgia off at the kennel yesterday for the day while ILJ is in Atlanta. She was sleepy tired going in; she was SO easy while I drove.

I picked her up later in the day, and she is 100% cute girl, and everyone is fawning over her.

We get home and...

OUT COMES WILD DOG!

Dr. Jekyll? Mr. Hyde??

Cheers,
Lavabe

Fish80
12-09-2008, 08:46 AM
So I drop Georgia off at the kennel yesterday for the day while ILJ is in Atlanta. She was sleepy tired going in; she was SO easy while I drove.

I picked her up later in the day, and she is 100% cute girl, and everyone is fawning over her.

We get home and...

OUT COMES WILD DOG!

Dr. Jekyll? Mr. Hyde??

Cheers,
Lavabe

I love the wild dog! Maybe she was so happy to be home?

Dr. Rosenrosen
12-09-2008, 11:20 AM
I think Windsor already commented on this, but it bears reiterating and also pads my post count. :)

Puppies learn about biting and hurting from other puppies. If one puppy plays too rough, the other puppy will at first let out a little cry or yelp, and eventually stop playing.

When they learn that biting hard hurts, they learn to control the force of their bite.

Playing with other puppies is very important for their development.

Our trainer taught us to react to any kind of nipping (even just a light touch of the teeth) by QUICKLY and LOUDLY saying "Ouch" to the dog every time it happens. It let's them know that it's not acceptable. Worked like a charm for us. Our little girl stopped nipping very quickly.

Lavabe
12-09-2008, 12:53 PM
Our trainer taught us to react to any kind of nipping (even just a light touch of the teeth) by QUICKLY and LOUDLY saying "Ouch" to the dog every time it happens. It let's them know that it's not acceptable. Worked like a charm for us. Our little girl stopped nipping very quickly.

Tried this. Didn't work.

Part of the difficulty is that LL does not show as much confidence in front of Georgia, so I don't believe Georgia's getting a unified message.

I guess NatGeo's Cesar is impossible to hire.:(

Fish80
12-09-2008, 01:32 PM
Tried this. Didn't work.

Part of the difficulty is that LL does not show as much confidence in front of Georgia, so I don't believe Georgia's getting a unified message.

I guess NatGeo's Cesar is impossible to hire.:(

Two things that helped Kayla learn to control her mouth:

- puppy class :)
- when she bit us at all, even if not hard, we would tell her no, give her something she could bite, such as her toy, and when she had the toy in her mouth tell her "good girl"

Breaking her of the biting was hard for me, because I like to let her chew on my hands! But for the greater good, I could not let her do that.

DevilAlumna
12-09-2008, 08:01 PM

+1, with the added consequence that playtime with mom is over. But usually after handing him something appropriate to chew on.

That said, I think it's also just a phase for all puppies -- hey, look, I can bite things! Let me bite whatever I can! That newness does wear off.

Lavabe
12-22-2008, 01:20 PM
Here's an updated photo of our Aussie, at 11 weeks old.

She's been biting and nipping a lot.

NOTE: This photo was taken when she was not in WILD DOG phase.
Cheers,
Lavabe

TillyGalore
12-22-2008, 01:23 PM
Here's an updated photo of our Aussie, at 11 weeks old.

She's been biting and nipping a lot.

NOTE: This photo was taken when she was not in WILD DOG phase.
Cheers,
Lavabe

She is so adorable. Thank you for posting.

Is LL doing better with keeping Miss Georgia under control? What are you going to do with Miss Georgia during your holiday travels?

Lavabe
12-22-2008, 01:29 PM
She is so adorable. Thank you for posting.

Is LL doing better with keeping Miss Georgia under control? What are you going to do with Miss Georgia during your holiday travels?

LL is in FULL command of discipline with Georgia. VERY shocking. I guess those episodes of the Dog Whisperer are making an impact on LL.

As for travel plans, Georgia is traveling with us to North Carolina and Georgia. As to how long the devildeacs will tolerate her ... well, we'll have to see.;)

Oh, and littlejohn: Life on Earth has ended. Georgia has discovered the kitchen.:D

merry
12-22-2008, 01:49 PM
+1, with the added consequence that playtime with mom is over. But usually after handing him something appropriate to chew on.

That said, I think it's also just a phase for all puppies -- hey, look, I can bite things! Let me bite whatever I can! That newness does wear off.

I feel like it took forever for our beagle mix pup to stop biting, and also to stop chewing on anything and everything in sight. None of the stuff people told us to do worked, he just seemed to eventually grow out of it. We did the "ouch" thing, and specifically my son who was the one getting nipped the most (we called him "the big puppy") used to yelp like a puppy when he got nipped which was another "sure fire" cure that seemed to make no difference.

He also chewed on furniture, kitchen cabinets, cardboard boxes, magazines...anything he could reach or manage to knock off the kitchen counter. Once he totally destroyed a Netflix DVD - chewed on it until it peeled in half! Again people gave us lots of advice like get a kong and put a treat inside or something hard to get out like peanut butter and it will occupy him for a long time until he gets every bit of it out, then he won't be bored and destroy your house. Well, this dog loves treats but he would give up on those kong things after about 15 seconds.

One of my favorite pieces of advice was the people who said "if you catch him pooping in the house tell him 'no' and pick him up right away and take him outside and he'll learn after one or two times" Yeah right. He would just give me that "I'd love to please you but I don't know how, especially since you are talking mean to me" look.

All that said - he almost never does any of that "bad" stuff any more, and he definitely never nips. The dog trainers we talked to and most dog owners all told me dogs don't grow out of stuff like that but I'm not sure I really buy it. By the time he was 7 or 8 months old he was completely house trained, never nipped and had pretty much quit chewing on things other than his chew toys. I still think maturity had as much or more to do with it as our techniques and consistency in how we tried to train him.

littlejohn
12-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Glad to hear LL is watching Dog Whisperer; great life lessons as well as learning how to help your dog train you...;-)

As to the kitchen, do not fall into the trap of giving her a lot of "human" food just because she's so damn cute. Besides her discovering the kitchen isn't the end of the world as you know it, it was you discovering her. Your life will be better for it.

She is going to be a gorgeous adult dog from the looks of it !

warm regards,

littlejohn

Lavabe
12-22-2008, 02:47 PM
Glad to hear LL is watching Dog Whisperer; great life lessons as well as learning how to help your dog train you...;-)

As to the kitchen, do not fall into the trap of giving her a lot of "human" food just because she's so damn cute. Besides her discovering the kitchen isn't the end of the world as you know it, it was you discovering her. Your life will be better for it.

She is going to be a gorgeous adult dog from the looks of it !

warm regards,

littlejohn

Last week, Dog Whisperer had on Downtown Julie Brown with her problem dog.

Made me feel real old, real fast.

Life lesson: Wubba wubba wubba, don't let your dog attack your daughter.;)

devildeac
12-24-2008, 05:32 PM
LL is in FULL command of discipline with Georgia. VERY shocking. I guess those episodes of the Dog Whisperer are making an impact on LL.

As for travel plans, Georgia is traveling with us to North Carolina and Georgia. As to how long the devildeacs will tolerate her ... well, we'll have to see.;)

Oh, and littlejohn: Life on Earth has ended. Georgia has discovered the kitchen.:D

So far, so good with the cute little puppy. She has nipped a bit but not out of what I'd expect from a puppy, I'd guess.

devildeac
12-24-2008, 05:35 PM
I feel like it took forever for our beagle mix pup to stop biting, and also to stop chewing on anything and everything in sight. None of the stuff people told us to do worked, he just seemed to eventually grow out of it. We did the "ouch" thing, and specifically my son who was the one getting nipped the most (we called him "the big puppy") used to yelp like a puppy when he got nipped which was another "sure fire" cure that seemed to make no difference.

He also chewed on furniture, kitchen cabinets, cardboard boxes, magazines...anything he could reach or manage to knock off the kitchen counter. Once he totally destroyed a Netflix DVD - chewed on it until it peeled in half! Again people gave us lots of advice like get a kong and put a treat inside or something hard to get out like peanut butter and it will occupy him for a long time until he gets every bit of it out, then he won't be bored and destroy your house. Well, this dog loves treats but he would give up on those kong things after about 15 seconds.

One of my favorite pieces of advice was the people who said "if you catch him pooping in the house tell him 'no' and pick him up right away and take him outside and he'll learn after one or two times" Yeah right. He would just give me that "I'd love to please you but I don't know how, especially since you are talking mean to me" look.

All that said - he almost never does any of that "bad" stuff any more, and he definitely never nips. The dog trainers we talked to and most dog owners all told me dogs don't grow out of stuff like that but I'm not sure I really buy it. By the time he was 7 or 8 months old he was completely house trained, never nipped and had pretty much quit chewing on things other than his chew toys. I still think maturity had as much or more to do with it as our techniques and consistency in how we tried to train him.

Our cocker spaniel tried to chew her way out of the kitchen when she was several months old-through the dry wall! Now, it's a pretty damn funny story to tell but not as we were trying to figure out how to repair a crater in the wall:eek::o.

devildeac
12-24-2008, 05:44 PM

Another time when we came home from work, we found every square inch of newspaper we had lined the floor with had been ripped to shreds and strewn about the kitchen floor. In addition to a couple cheap dish towels/rags. In addition to her box. Plus, everything paper in the garbage can had received the shredding treatment. We wet ourselves when we opened the door that evening and saw that sight and our beloved cocker nearly buried under the mountains of paper pieces. We may still have a picture of that event and if I can find it, I'll have someone who knows what they're doing post it here.

captmojo
12-24-2008, 06:03 PM
This sounds like separation-anxiety. We had a Chow-Chow that came within .25 of an inch of chewing a 18X18 hole through a door during a two hour separation many years ago. We left him alone while we went out for dinner. He almost made it out to search us down. He was only a pup at the time. When I saw the damage, I had to resist the urge to stop his aging process. He was far too cute, fuzzy and cuddly to do harm to.

My resistance isn't weak. He also chewed and clawed a still evident large set of markings on the back door at home. He is gone these past three years :( and is highly forgiven. ;) He has also not been replaced.

Lavabe
12-26-2008, 09:24 AM
devildeac using his coat as a toreador's cape to Georgia.:D

ETA: Followed quickly by Georgia herding devildeac.:)

Lavabe
12-26-2008, 09:37 AM
When is a puppy no longer considered a puppy, but instead, considered a dog?

I.e., when does she go off puppy food?

Thanks,
Lavabe

devildeac
12-26-2008, 10:18 AM
devildeac using his coat as a toreador's cape to Georgia.:D

ETA: Followed quickly by Georgia herding devildeac.:)

Why people buy dogs toys is a mystery to me. Georgia just spent the last 10 minutes destroying a thin plastic cup and chasing an empty water bottle around the room. That is, when she wasn't trying to chew the slipper off my foot:o.

littlejohn
12-27-2008, 10:16 PM
Lav,

Normally a puppy should stay on their puppy food until they are about a year old. Your vet will be a better judge since they see Georgia on a regular basis. Some will wean a pup at 9 months, but I would guess as an aussie, she will still be growing at 9 months, so she can use the extra nutrients in puppy food until at least a year old.

And devildeac, you are obviously doing something wrong and need to be disciplined, that's why Georgia is chewing on your slipper:)

Merry Christmas everyone !

littlejohn

devildeac
12-27-2008, 11:02 PM
Lav,

Normally a puppy should stay on their puppy food until they are about a year old. Your vet will be a better judge since they see Georgia on a regular basis. Some will wean a pup at 9 months, but I would guess as an aussie, she will still be growing at 9 months, so she can use the extra nutrients in puppy food until at least a year old.

And devildeac, you are obviously doing something wrong and need to be disciplined, that's why Georgia is chewing on your slipper:)

Merry Christmas everyone !

littlejohn

She is actually chewing on everything: plastic cups and soda bottles, shoes, slippers, socks, athletic shoes, plants, children, linens, and occasionally, her doggie toys and chews:o;).

Lavabe
12-27-2008, 11:08 PM
She is actually chewing on everything: plastic cups and soda bottles, shoes, slippers, socks, athletic shoes, plants, children, linens, and occasionally, her doggie toys and chews:o;).

Umm, the floppy-eared girl is doing these with one other thing to be said...

... she's SO cute.

Oh yeah... she needs to be disciplined.;)

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
01-10-2009, 05:08 AM
While in Atlanta, our puppy met a friend of ours whose vizsla introduced our puppy to chewing on a bone. The bone came from the meat department of the local supermarket.

Georgia is STILL chewing on that bone. She loves it, and has gnawed at other things much less frequently. We have a much happier puppy.

Is it too early for her to be doing this? Should she go to rawhides? Why do the packages of a few rawhide-like things say that she should wait until she is no longer a puppy before she chews these things?

Thanks,
Lavabe

sue71, esq
01-10-2009, 09:14 AM
While in Atlanta, our puppy met a friend of ours whose vizsla introduced our puppy to chewing on a bone. The bone came from the meat department of the local supermarket.

Georgia is STILL chewing on that bone. She loves it, and has gnawed at other things much less frequently. We have a much happier puppy.

Is it too early for her to be doing this? Should she go to rawhides? Why do the packages of a few rawhide-like things say that she should wait until she is no longer a puppy before she chews these things?

Thanks,
Lavabe

I don't know about timing of when she can/should get bones, but be careful of giving her actual steak/meat bones. Sometimes they can splinter and hurt her little throat/tummy. We would only give my dog the bones you can get at a pet store (are those rawhide? I don't remember as it's been a while since I've had a dog.)

Edit: OTOH I know my parents would bring back gargantuan-size real bones for the neighbor's dog, but he was a gargantuan-size dog that would eat pretty big rocks on occasion. Seriously.

rockymtn devil
01-10-2009, 10:56 AM

Thanks,
Lavabe

I know that cooked bones (which the ones from the butcher probably aren't) have a much greater likelihood of splintering and that can be a problem for any dog. In terms of puppies, this is probably the chief concern. A large chunk may have a difficult time being passed if the puppy swallows it. It'll probably be okay for her as long as she's supervised when she chews on it so you can swoop in and take it away if it starts to splinter. I have friends that give their dogs marrow bones (with the marrow poked out) and they seem to last a long time without breaking down.

I don't give my dog any bones (rawhide or otherwise) because he's such an intense chewer (a GSP, so very much like vizsla) that he will rip them apart in large chunks, which is a concern. Instead I go with the black kong, which he still tears apart, but it takes a long time or a nylabone, which will last me a year+. If you can find alternative to bones that you're dog likes just as much and that you are more comfortable giving her, go with that.