PDA

View Full Version : Vanderbilt 14, Auburn 13

devildeac
10-04-2008, 09:11 PM
Wow, Vandy-14, Auburn-13. Congrats, Ymo!

YmoBeThere
10-04-2008, 09:13 PM
Woohoo, this probably puts them in range for a bowl game. They will be playing both Wake and Duke this season, it will be interesting to see what comes of those games.

Awhile back, when Bobby Johnson was considered for the Duke job, many questioned if he was a good choice. I thought so. Do I think we got the best guy for the job in Coach Cutcliffe? Yes, we did...but Coach Johnson is no slouch.

My college football fandom is looking up these days. Who knows, in a couple years, Duke-Vandy could have Top 10 ranking implications.

FWIW, DevilAlumna was in my class at Vandy...

DevilAlumna
10-04-2008, 09:18 PM
Go 'Dores!

And my favorite cheer, (after 9F, of course) - Vandy! Vandy! Oh, hell, yeah!

devildeac
10-04-2008, 09:25 PM
Woohoo, this probably puts them in range for a bowl game. They will be playing both Wake and Duke this season, it will be interesting to see what comes of those games.

Awhile back, when Bobby Johnson was considered for the Duke job, many questioned if he was a good choice. I thought so. Do I think we got the best guy for the job in Coach Cutcliffe? Yes, we did...but Coach Johnson is no slouch.

My college football fandom is looking up these days. Who knows, in a couple years, Duke-Vandy could have Top 10 ranking implications.

FWIW, DevilAlumna was in my class at Vandy...

Well, then congrats to you AND DA!

It will be very interesting to see how Duke fares against the 'Dores later this month...

ghost
10-04-2008, 09:28 PM
WHO U WIT??

(Class of '99 and football athletic trainer)

bhd28 was in my class too!

Now I just need Nebraska to win and I will be a happy gal.

DevilAlumna
10-04-2008, 09:35 PM
I wouldn't count on a win tonight, Ghost. :(

Mizzou's ranked #4, and the Huskers have only been beating teams like Our Holy Sisters of the Blind lately, it seems.

That said, it's 7-7 in the 1st, so we can hope!

ghost
10-04-2008, 09:42 PM
7-14 :(

but... but, I am wearing my new Nebraska birthday shirt!

Then again, I would have a hard time wearing both Vandy and Husker gear to the Giants game tomorrow.

ugadevil
10-04-2008, 10:44 PM
I predicted a few weeks ago in one thread that I thought Vandy would be able to make a bowl game. I'm definitely sticking with that prediction now! Great win for the 'Dores.

I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn's offensive coordinator doesn't last the entire season. Watching them try and move the ball is PAINFUL.

HaveFunExpectToWin
10-04-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm in shock with this win. Also a '99 VU grad. Small world.

First we get Gameday, now we're a Top 15 team. Dogs and cats living together!

camcraz25
10-05-2008, 12:37 AM
I'm a grad student at Auburn but a Duke alum. Sooo, if Duke beats Vandy, then I can tell people here that Duke is 'better' than Auburn?! ha ha, that would be AWESOME!

YmoBeThere
10-05-2008, 01:22 AM
There were 3 or 4 Duke alums at the Law School when DA, I and two other Duke alums were in Owen. I'm sure if you start looking at the Med School, that there is a fairly decent pipeline of people that attended both institutions.

happydays1949
10-05-2008, 08:58 AM
[QUOTE=YmoBeThere;201764]

QUOTE]

I am a big Bobby Johnson fan....was hoping he would get the Duke job. I thought with his experience at Furman and Vandy, he was the man for the job.

I still think Bobby Johnson would have been excellent for Duke, but I am behind Cutcliffe 100%.

ugadevil
10-05-2008, 09:14 AM
This team has a chance to make it to 10 wins. They play Mississippi State on the road, which won't be an easy game - but one they have a great shot at winning. Then, they head to Athens to take on Georgia, where they won the last time they played in Sanford Stadium - and they had UGA beat last year until a late fumble. After that is Duke & Florida at home, where they could get a split. And they finish up the season against Kentucky, Tennessee, and Wake Forest - all games where they'll be evenly matched, if not favored (if they continue to play at the level they're currently at).

Bottom line - if you don't turn the ball over and you're fundamentally sound, you have a chance to beat anyone. It's great to watch a team play the game the right way and not beat themselves. (This from a fan of a team who seems to think they get helmet stickers for roughing the passer penalties!)

nicktonyg22
10-05-2008, 11:09 AM
I am a current Vandy student...It's nice to know so many posters are Vandy alums.

Last night's game was unbelievable. It was parent's weekend, ESPN College Gameday was here and it was the primetime ESPN game. The only other times I've seen the campus this fired up were when we beat #1 UT last year in basketball and #1 Florida in basketball the year before.

Anyway, Duke football could certainly learn a lot from the model that Vanderbilt has used to become a better program. They've already found a good coach, now they must continue to red-shirt and become an older, smarter team than most others.

rockymtn devil
10-05-2008, 11:21 AM
I wouldn't be surprised if Auburn's offensive coordinator doesn't last the entire season. Watching them try and move the ball is PAINFUL.

Agreed. I know he's a football coach and understands more about the game than I ever will. But, I didn't understand Auburn's offensive strategy last night. They came out and ran the ball right down Vandy's throat and took an early 13 point lead. The Commodores did a nice of adjusting by loading the box and daring Auburn to throw deep. Tigers never adjusted to this and kept trying to run the football. Vanderbilt was playing run all the way and Auburn never even tried to exploit that.

Wander
10-05-2008, 11:44 AM
Auburn's offense is pathetic beyond words. And no, I will not let go of this until they drop out of both polls.

Still a nice win though.

davekay1971
10-05-2008, 12:39 PM
Auburn's offense is pathetic beyond words. And no, I will not let go of this until they drop out of both polls.

Still a nice win though.

I haven't watched much of Auburn, but they're offense looked terrible last night. Some of it was definitely the Vandy defense, but a lot of their struggles seemed to be self-imposed. Still, great win for Vandy, and Duke's going to have our hands full in Nashville.

ugadevil
10-05-2008, 01:04 PM
I haven't watched much of Auburn, but they're offense looked terrible last night. Some of it was definitely the Vandy defense, but a lot of their struggles seemed to be self-imposed. Still, great win for Vandy, and Duke's going to have our hands full in Nashville.

Auburn's offense looked better last night than it did against Mississippi State or Tennessee. I watched a good bit of the Auburn/Tennessee second half last weekend and I believe I saw one first down between the two teams combined. And the Auburn/Mississippi State game...3-2? Come on!

calltheobvious
10-05-2008, 10:22 PM
Agreed. I know he's a football coach and understands more about the game than I ever will. But, I didn't understand Auburn's offensive strategy last night. They came out and ran the ball right down Vandy's throat and took an early 13 point lead. The Commodores did a nice of adjusting by loading the box and daring Auburn to throw deep. Tigers never adjusted to this and kept trying to run the football. Vanderbilt was playing run all the way and Auburn never even tried to exploit that.

Come on, Rock. You don't understand starting a QB in the spread who can't run and can't throw? You don't understand running stretch plays with your bruising RB rather than inserting a faster guy to try to get to the edge? You don't understand not running play-action when Vandy stacked the box? You don't understand letting your athletic but less experienced QB mostly languish on the sideline as coaches justify it by saying, "He just doesn't have the experience"?

And I thought you were a veteran college football observer.

P.S. Tony Franklin is not a coach or teacher, he's a (really good) salesman. I was angry that Tuberville fired Al Borges to go in this direction, and now the program is paying for it. If Auburn's lucky it will only lose its OC. If it gets what it deserves, however, it will lose the entire staff and most of the twenty-five commitments. One of the top five defenses in the country being completely wasted. Pathetic.