PDA

View Full Version : Coaches vs. Cancer field set

JasonEvans
10-03-2008, 12:09 PM
I looked a bit but had not seen this posted elsewhere.

The entire field for the CvC tournament has been set (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/10882465). Aside from UCLA, is it not exactly an impressive bunch.

-- Duke Regional --
* Duke
* Presbyterian
* Georgia Southern
* Houston

-- UCLA Regional --
* UCLA
* Prairie View A&M
* Weber State
* Miami-Ohio

-- Michigan Regional --
* Michigan
* Michigan Tech
* IUPUI
* Northeastern

-- Southern Illinois Regional --
* Southern Illinois
* California Universty of Pennsylvania
* UMass
* Arkansas-Monticello

We play the winner of the So. Ill regional in NY in the semifinals while UCLA gets Michigan. Then, unless there are some big upsets, we play a very good UCLA team in the finals.

--Jason "I have not even heard of some of these teams" Evans

JasonEvans
10-03-2008, 12:12 PM
Just read this AP story (http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/11005774)on the field. 4 of the teams are Division II clubs. Gaaack!

--Jason "this is really a weak field" Evans

Olympic Fan
10-03-2008, 01:09 PM
While the overall field is weak, I think Duke's path will provide a good, solid, early season test -- one that will look good on the RPI at postseason.

Okay, Presbyterian is not very good in the opener -- although they are a provisional D-1 team. They actually made the jump to D-1 last year (going 2-25), but they have to undergo a four-year apprenticeship (kind of like NCCU, our 2007-08 opener). But they do count on our record as a D-1 foe.

The second game should be against Houston, which is a solid CUSA team (maybe the second-best team in that league), coached by veteran Tom Penders. I haven't checked lately, but I think they return four starters and six of their top seven off last year's 22-9 team.

Assuming two wins in Durham, Duke is likely to face Southern Illinois, one of the most celebrated "mid-major" programs of the last few years. They lose two starters off a 17-14 team (but one that finished a solid No. 62 in the RPI), including forward Randal Falker, their best player.

If it's not Southern Ill in the semifinals, it will be UMass, coming off a solid 21-10 season that saw them win at Syracuse and at Boston College. They lose Gary Forbes, but have (I think) four starters back.

And, of course, if Duke gets to the finals, they'll play a top 10 UCLA team.

So there may be some patsies in the field, but other than Presbyterian, I think Duke will play a pretty solid group.

Bluedog
10-03-2008, 01:10 PM
Well, certainly the field is weak, but it's not as if we play everybody in the tournament. To win it all, we'd have to beat Presbyterian (I thought they moved to DI last year? in the article, says they're DII), Houston (24-10 last year in Conf USA), UMass (25-11 last year) or Southern IL (18-15), then UCLA (35-4). Besides Presbyterian, those are all solid programs.

Edit: Olympic Fan beat me to it.

BD80
10-03-2008, 02:37 PM
Michigan is a host school. Imagine the embarrassment if they don't get to NY.

elvis14
10-03-2008, 02:41 PM
I looked a bit but had not seen this posted elsewhere.

The entire field for the CvC tournament has been set (http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6271764/10882465). Aside from UCLA, is it not exactly an impressive bunch.

According to the link above "The first-round and second-round games will be played Nov. 10-13 on the campuses of the four hosts". That means it's just over 1 month away! Whoo hoooo, whoo hooo, jump around, jump around, jump up, jump up and jump down! :D

Sorry, I'm just so geeked about the season, I can't wait! Just think before too long we will get to watch our basketball team and come to DBR and read new posts about hoops each day!!!! Is it November yet?

Bob Green
10-03-2008, 05:10 PM
Michigan is a host school. Imagine the embarrassment if they don't get to NY.

Just ask Kentucky who lost to Gardner-Webb in last year's C vs. C tournament.

RelativeWays
10-03-2008, 06:57 PM
California University of Pennsylvania? Who are these rudy poos?

Indoor66
10-03-2008, 07:39 PM

Check 'em out for yourself: http://www.cup.edu/index.jsp :)

JasonEvans
10-03-2008, 08:04 PM

My wife grew up in Philly and she has never heard of this school.

--Jason

Indoor66
10-03-2008, 08:05 PM

--Jason

It is south of Pittsburg and has been there a long time. See the website above.

devildeac
10-03-2008, 11:49 PM

--Jason

Has she ever heard of the Indiana University of Pennsylvania in Indiana, PA?

Jim3k
10-04-2008, 02:41 AM

I think they are a sister of Wyoming University of Pennsylvania. :cool:

Olympic Fan
10-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Maybe it's an age thing, but there was a time when just the name Slippery Rock evoked a giggle among sports fans. California University of Pennsylvania was one of the reasons.

Back in those long ago days before ESPN, we didn't have hour after hour of analysis of college football. What we did have were ill-informed news readers giving us the scores in rapid-fire manner.

Just imagine sitting there listening to a long list of scores, when right in the middle of it pops Slippery Rock 14, California 10 ... not only is the name 'Slippery Rock' slightly silly in its own right, the idea that they could beat a major power like Cal made it more ridiculous and noteworthy.

There was another team they regularly played that was confused with a major power -- I think it was Indiana University of Pennsylvania.

It soon became a huge joke -- Slippery Rock 35, Notre Dame 7 -- almost a generic way of dissing a team having a disappointing season: 'Oh, you lost to Slippery Rock.'

The Unversity of California (of Pennsylvania) played its role in the Slippery Rock phenomenum.

JasonEvans
10-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Has she ever heard of the Indiana University of Pennsylvania in Indiana, PA?

I am not sure if she has, but I certainly have. They are a legit Division I team and, I think, have actually been a decent club at some point in the recent past.

--Jason "I could be wrong, but I have certainly heard of them" Evans

pfrduke
10-04-2008, 12:36 PM
I am not sure if she has, but I certainly have. They are a legit Division I team and, I think, have actually been a decent club at some point in the recent past.

--Jason "I could be wrong, but I have certainly heard of them" Evans

Nope, not close. Indiana U of PA is not a D-1 school. IUPUI is a D-1 school, and may be who you're thinking of. It's Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis.

JasonEvans
10-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Nope, not close. Indiana U of PA is not a D-1 school. IUPUI is a D-1 school, and may be who you're thinking of. It's Indiana University-Purdue University in Indianapolis.

I'm an idiot. You are right.

-Jason

mgtr
10-04-2008, 10:13 PM
Don't underrate Cal Univ of Pa. I know the athletic director, Tom Pucci, very well. He runs a very good program. While they are not likely to run the table against a bunch of good schools, on any given night they could surprise (I am sure we all remember Virginia Commonwealth).
Bottom line -- don't dismiss them because you don't know them.
Changing the subject a little -- isn't that a great looking car in my avatar? I love it.

devildownunder
10-07-2008, 01:56 AM
they lose 4 key players, I think. Are they really top 10 material? Not just in the preseason it'sallabouttherep polls, but in reality.

Carlos
10-07-2008, 09:19 AM
Indiana University of Pennsylvania factoids -

Their most famous athlete would likely be former Buffalo Bills linebacker, and current St. Louis Rams head coach Jim Haslett.
The most famous resident of the town of Indiana, PA would be actor Jimmy Stewart.
Indiana University of Pennsylvania operates an Academy of Culinary Arts in Punxsutawney, PA which is also home to the nation's biggest Groundhog Day celebration. Hopefully there's no mixing of the animals between the two institutions.

As for UCLA, they lost a ton of talent to the NBA and graduation, but they also have some pretty solid guys off the bench as well as incoming freshmen. They do return Darren Collison and Josh Shipp so you know the backcourt will be solid. Their incoming freshman class includes shooting guard J'rue Holiday who was ranked as high as the #4 prospect in the country. They also got a huge commitment (literally and figuratively) when J'mison Morgan decided he didn't want to go to LSU after they fired head coach John Brady. While this may make you want to question the decision making skills of someone who would go to a school specifically to play for John Brady it doesn't take away from the fact that at 6-10 and 275 lbs., Morgan is a seriously big dude. He's also pretty talented as he was rate as the #3 post player in the class.

If that's not enough the Bruins class also included Drew Gordon (a 6-9 PF that Duke also recruited) and a pair of solid guards in Malcom Lee and Jerime Anderson.

So while Ben Howland may not have Kevin Love and Russell Westbrook around anymore it's not exactly like they're a depleted roster.

devildownunder
10-07-2008, 10:06 AM
Good, thanks. I hope for some early-season fireworks, then.

gw67
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM
Besides Collison, Shipp and a top freshmen class, the Bruins also return some experienced reserves in the frontcourt (Keefe, Aboya) as well as a youngster who played some minutes for them two years ago (Roll). It will be difficult to replace the scoring of the players they lost but they are well coached and they should be a top 10 team once the freshmen become acclimated.

gw67

hoseman
10-07-2008, 11:00 AM
Okay, Presbyterian is not very good in the opener -- although they are a provisional D-1 team. They actually made the jump to D-1 last year (going 2-25), but they have to undergo a four-year apprenticeship (kind of like NCCU, our 2007-08 opener). But they do count on our record as a D-1 foe.

A PC fan here: Olympic, accurate observation. We just appreciate being allowed to play the Blue Devils. You guys set the bar for the entire NCAA

Duke/PC will be an interesting game to watch as PC scared UGA and Ga Tech last season.