PDA

View Full Version : UNC and UConn (BB rankings)

NYC Duke Fan
10-03-2008, 06:35 AM
Most of the college pre season magazines have UNC and UConn ranked 1 and 2.

If that happened, and obviously there are miles to go for it to occur, but it would be a hard NCAA final game to watch wouldn't it, with virtually zero rooting interest?

Also for the second time in a relatively short time span, there is the possibility of UConn winning both the men's and women's championship in the same year.

BD80
10-03-2008, 08:45 AM
... UNC and UConn ... it would be a hard NCAA final game to watch wouldn't it... ?

Unbearable.

My tickets for the championship game would be for sale the moment the horn ends the second semi-final game. Imagine how bad that Saturday night would be, watching both unc and uconn win?

PSurprise
10-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Maybe they could both forfeit the NC game and just go ahead and give Duke the Championship...just because.

davekay1971
10-03-2008, 09:35 AM

If that happened, and obviously there are miles to go for it to occur, but it would be a hard NCAA final game to watch wouldn't it, with virtually zero rooting interest?

Also for the second time in a relatively short time span, there is the possibility of UConn winning both the men's and women's championship in the same year.

No rooting interest?! I'd be rooting hard for an Anchorman-style brawl, with all the bloodshed. Could you imagine the splendor of Ol' Roy and Big Jim Calhoun locked in a epic fight to the death? I'd buy popcorn for that.

Devilsfan
10-03-2008, 09:44 AM
Rumor has it that if uCon wins they would give laptops to everyone. But by then alot can happen and by then they might need a new type of congressional "bailout". I would still pull for them despite 1999.

jv001
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Rumor has it that if uCon wins they would give laptops to everyone. But by then alot can happen and by then they might need a new type of congressional "bailout". I would still pull for them despite 1999.

Yeh I would start out trying to pull for unc, but by game time I couldn't. That would be like pulling for the anti-christ. I just couldn't do it.

hurleyfor3
10-03-2008, 10:16 AM
I think I'll just take up gardening.

MChambers
10-03-2008, 10:47 AM
Root for a meteor?

Uncle Drew
10-03-2008, 11:09 AM
Apparently most of you people don't live in the state of North Carolina. I'll take UCONN winning the title over UNC ANY day. Granted I don't want them to win it either. But if you live in NC, if God forbid those %#$#$'s from Chapel Hell were to win we Duke fans have to have it crammed down our throats by coworkers, relatives (that have already been disowned), idiots everywhere we go with National Champion shirts hats, and the local media. If UCONN won, we can always mute ESPN CBS or change the channel. Here in NC we couldn't pick up a news paper or turn the TV on any local station without blah, blah, blah tarhole BS.

If Bin Laden, Hitler, Stalin, Caligula and Dahmer made a basketball team and got Lucifer to coach, I'd pull for them before I pulled for UNC.

jv001
10-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Apparently most of you people don't live in the state of North Carolina. I'll take UCONN winning the title over UNC ANY day. Granted I don't want them to win it either. But if you live in NC, if God forbid those %#$#$'s from Chapel Hell were to win we Duke fans have to have it crammed down our throats by coworkers, relatives (that have already been disowned), idiots everywhere we go with National Champion shirts hats, and the local media. If UCONN won, we can always mute ESPN CBS or change the channel. Here in NC we couldn't pick up a news paper or turn the TV on any local station without blah, blah, blah tarhole BS.

If Bin Laden, Hitler, Stalin, Caligula and Dahmer made a basketball team and got Lucifer to coach, I'd pull for them before I pulled for UNC.

Pretty much says it all (except for lucifer). We would see all those unc sweatshirts come out of the wood work. No I couldn't stand that. It would have to be UConn.

Uncle Drew
10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Pretty much says it all (except for lucifer). We would see all those unc sweatshirts come out of the wood work. No I couldn't stand that. It would have to be UConn.

I'm a Cowboys fan from back in the days of Staubach and Dorsett (no bandwagon rider here) and I've always held a grudge against the Steelers for beating my team as a kid. But when Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl a few years ago and several Steelers fans wore their gear to work I most admit I enjoyed walking in the room and saying, "what is that smell"? "Oh it's moth balls, because these Pittsburgh fans haven't been able to wear this stuff since 1979". :D

And I agree Lucifer would be a deal breaker too, but if he could get Stalin to break Hansbrogh's nose......well......nah, still not then.

Oh, good joke. What did Jeff Dahmer do with all the noses of the people he killed? He made a Dahmer nose pizza!!!

du_bb1
10-03-2008, 11:57 AM
Not a problem---The BB gods will not allow such a farce !

davekay1971
10-03-2008, 02:21 PM

Amen to all the above...even if they had Idi Amin and Mussolini coming off the bench.

Funny note on UNC fair-weather fannism: Pre-football season all you heard around here was yapping from UNC fans about how they were going to win the ACC Coastal division this year (which they might very well do - I posted previously that if UNC won either the Va Tech or Miami game, I'd give them respect...done and done). Then came the McNeese state embarrassment, and all the football fans disappeared. After Rutgers, they were all out in force again. After Va Tech, nary a UNC football fan to be found. After Miami, they're back. If they lose to UConn, watch the UNC fans quickly forget that there is a such thing as a Tarhole football team as they turn their minds (and mouths) to basketball season...

BD80
10-03-2008, 02:29 PM
I'm a Cowboys fan from back in the days of Staubach and Dorsett (no bandwagon rider here) and I've always held a grudge against the Steelers for beating my team as a kid. But when Pittsburgh won the Super Bowl a few years ago and several Steelers fans wore their gear to work I most admit I enjoyed walking in the room and saying, "what is that smell"? "Oh it's moth balls, because these Pittsburgh fans haven't been able to wear this stuff since 1979". :D

It must really sting that the 'boys are 1-2 against the Stillers in the Super Bowl :D

If you don't have your Cowboy Super Bowl XXX paraphernalia in moth balls by now, it is probably too late. My Super Bowl XL shirt fits real nice. Don't worry, with quality guys like Pacman, TO and Tank Johnson, the 'boys might get you back this year.

elvis14
10-03-2008, 02:31 PM

I think I just threw up in my mouth a little! If these two were in the NC game, I wouldn't be watching. It's like watching a Cowboys-Giants game, you just root for injuries! If I'm rooting against UNC that doesn't mean I'm rooting for UConn, right? That would just suck but since I live in RTP, I just wouldn't want to be around the Tarholes if they won again so I'd agree with Latta6070 and would be all about UNC losing....as usual.

Latta6970, if you are Cowboys fan from the Staubach, Dorsett, Landry days, who do you pull for now? I ask b/c the Tank Johnson/Pac-man/TO/JJones Cowboys are not the same team as those respectable Cowboys teams from years past.

elvis14
10-03-2008, 02:33 PM
It must really sting that the 'boys are 1-2 against the Stillers in the Super Bowl :D

If you don't have your Cowboy Super Bowl XXX paraphernalia in moth balls by now, it is probably too late. My Super Bowl XL shirt fits real nice. Don't worry, with quality guys like Pacman, TO and Tank Johnson, the 'boys might get you back this year.

Nice, you posted that while I was typing making fun Tank, Pac, and TO, classic.

BlueintheFace
10-03-2008, 02:39 PM
Jim Nantz-
"...and Jim Calhoun is now in rare air joining the likes of Mike Krzyzewski, Bobby Knight, and other greats with three championship rings and counting."

(vomiting ... screaming in the background... darkness)

Uncle Drew
10-03-2008, 02:41 PM

The odd thing is I don't think I own any Cowboys gear of any type. I have a TON of Duke shirts, hats and jackets but I haven't owned any Dallas gear since I was a kid. For the record I loathe TO and I'm not a Pacman Tank fan either. But it's all about loyalty. I'm a Dodgers fan in baseball. (No I don't own any Dodgers gear either.) I started pulling for them when I was 8 because I liked Steve Garvey. When he went to the Padre's I had the choice of sticking with my team or being loyal. I decided to stick with the Dodgers, Dallas and Duke come hell or high water. There have been players for all three I didn't care for but nobody can call me a fair weather fan or say I jumped on any bandwagon. That being said I could handle a Dodgers and Cowboys world championship followed by a Duke NCAA title. (And a football bowl win!)

Oh and davekay1971, for the record Mussolini wasn't all that bad a guy in fact he was a very fascistnating character! Ha I kill me! :D You're right about tarheel fans, when they lose the evaporate, when they win they crawl back out from under the rock they have been hiding.

"JJones Cowboys are not the same team as those respectable Cowboys teams from years past".

Yeah I'm not a big J Jones fan either, mainly for how he treated Landry even though it had to be done. But the guy does want to win, and if I was spending millions upon millions I'd be a hands on owner too. That being said, did anyone see Al Davis after the Raiders firing the other day. My God he looks rough! How is he even breathing on his own yet alone running a football team?!

BD80
10-03-2008, 02:53 PM
... did anyone see Al Davis after the Raiders firing the other day. My God he looks rough! How is he even breathing on his own yet alone running a football team?!

Davis reminded me of the Emperor in "Return of the Jedi".

sandinmyshoes
10-03-2008, 03:00 PM
I take comfort in the odds against the two preseason favorites both making it to the championship game. This is the problem with the off season, with no games to actually dwell on we tend to kick around random possibilities and sometimes visit nightmare scenarios. :eek:

mgtr
10-03-2008, 04:23 PM
In this best of all possible worlds, both teams would get knocked off by Virginia Commonwealth in the early rounds.

Wander
10-03-2008, 04:40 PM
In this best of all possible worlds, both teams would get knocked off by Virginia Commonwealth in the early rounds.

Of the NIT.

RelativeWays
10-03-2008, 07:08 PM
For a second I thought this was about the UNC UConn football game this weekend. At risk of having my Duke fan card revoked, I got to pick the holes in this doomsday scenario. I know kerruhlina fans can be unbearable and UNC is smug, cocky and altogether unpleasant, the bottom line is, with all that and Roy Williams whining and the players that just get on your last nerve...I honestly respect UNC, as an arch enemy and as a basketball program. I ****ing hate UConn. I have zero respect for Calhoun, his players his methods, I think the Huskies are crooked, thuggish and a general eyesore. Jim Calhoun deservse nothing but a 10 year losing streak and absolute contempt. Every time UConn loses, and angel gets its wings. Every time UConn wins, a puppy dies.

NYC Duke Fan
10-04-2008, 05:19 AM
I think I just threw up in my mouth a little! If these two were in the NC game, I wouldn't be watching. It's like watching a Cowboys-Giants game, you just root for injuries! If I'm rooting against UNC that doesn't mean I'm rooting for UConn, right? That would just suck but since I live in RTP, I just wouldn't want to be around the Tarholes if they won again so I'd agree with Latta6070 and would be all about UNC losing....as usual.

Latta6970, if you are Cowboys fan from the Staubach, Dorsett, Landry days, who do you pull for now? I ask b/c the Tank Johnson/Pac-man/TO/JJones Cowboys are not the same team as those respectable Cowboys teams from years past.

What could you possibly have against The Giants ? They are a class organization from top to bottom and they pulled one of the greatest Super Bowl upsets in the history of The Super Bowl.The Maras along with the Rooneys are the most respected football owners in the NFL.Once you have played for The Giants you become a permanent member of The Giant family and the team looks after you in hard times after your playing days are over.Whether you know it or not it was Wellington Mara who insisted on revenue sharing in the NFL so all the small market teams could be on an equal footing. He did not have to do that since as the owner of The New York franchise he would have made much more.

The Cowboys I can understand, but The Giants ? Unless maybe you live in Philadelphia , ( booing Santa Claus ? ) , or Washington D.C. ( with one of the most obnoxious owners, after Jerry Jones, in the NFL )

YmoBeThere
10-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Back to the topic...UNC-UCONN. I thought y'all were talking about the football game being played this evening. To which my answer would be, "Why watch that when you can watch Auburn at Vandy?" Of course, I have a rooting interest in that game and have had way too many opportunities to watch UNC football here in the Boston area. They are on every freakin' week. :( :confused::mad:

davekay1971
10-04-2008, 07:24 AM
What could you possibly have against The Giants ? They are a class organization from top to bottom and they pulled one of the greatest Super Bowl upsets in the history of The Super Bowl.The Maras along with the Rooneys are the most respected football owners in the NFL.Once you have played for The Giants you become a permanent member of The Giant family and the team looks after you in hard times after your playing days are over.Whether you know it or not it was Wellington Mara who insisted on revenue sharing in the NFL so all the small market teams could be on an equal footing. He did not have to do that since as the owner of The New York franchise he would have made much more.

The Cowboys I can understand, but The Giants ? Unless maybe you live in Philadelphia , ( booing Santa Claus ? ) , or Washington D.C. ( with one of the most obnoxious owners, after Jerry Jones, in the NFL )

Warning: Thread Hijack Imminent
I grew up in DC, in the Joe Gibbs days (1st iteration), so I have that against the Giants...you (insert bad word) ALWAYS beat us. However, my NFL version of UNC-UConnvicts would have to be Dallas as UNC and Phila as UConnvicts. I lived in Philly for 4 years, I know Philly, and I got to know Philly sports fans well. Let's just say it's clear why that city has a sports curse on it...

Even though I know Dan Snyder is about 20 years away from being an eerie mix between Al Davis and Jerry Jones, and I know that Vinny Cerrato is a complete moron, I still can't help but cheer for the Burgundy and Gold, and cheer against the rest of the division, no matter if they're good people or not.

Besides, the Giants have Plaxico Burress and Eli Manning...that's enough reason to cheer against them. If only they'd kept Jeremy Shockey, who inspired disgust almost as well as Rasheed Wallace.

roywhite
10-04-2008, 08:42 AM
It's distressing to hear the Huskies have put together another championship contender squad. Calhoun does not seem to achieve consistently good seasons, but is able to construct a juggernaut every few years.

We owe the Huskies big-time. Would love to knock them off in a Regional Final or Final Four game.

footballfan2
10-04-2008, 03:09 PM
It's distressing to hear the Huskies have put together another championship contender squad. Calhoun does not seem to achieve consistently good seasons, but is able to construct a juggernaut every few years.

We owe the Huskies big-time. Would love to knock them off in a Regional Final or Final Four game.

this exactly what i was thinking. It amazes me that Calhoun will have 2-3 years of average UCONN teams, but then fields a great UCONN team. Kinda makes you wonder if it's better to do that or do something like Duke (i.e. always good but not super great).

msdukie
10-04-2008, 04:46 PM
These are the following circumstances in which ANY Duke fan should EVER root for UNC:

hc5duke
10-04-2008, 09:34 PM
with the power outage they experienced at the game, i was hoping it was the beginning of a blackhole forming in Chapel Hill, but unfortunately they've regained power now :(

p.s. I think I'd rather have UNC win (doesn't have to mean I'm rooting *FOR* either team to win) than have UCon ranked higher