PDA

View Full Version : Reading the Tea Leaves on Patrick Patterson

Pages : [1] 2 3

Uncle Drew
03-22-2007, 07:35 AM
I realize I probably shouldn't even question this with Patrick Patterson still considering Duke and the possibility he or a family member may read this. But what are your impressions of Patrick Patterson as a player. He's ranked 15th in the nation which has to mean he has some skills. But I watched him in an ESPN HS game a month or so back which turned out to be the OJ Mayo show. How has he done in open tournaments, and most importantly how is his rebounding? I'd love to see the guy go to Duke, especially if McRoberts goes pro. I just wonder exactly how good he is right now and how good he might possibly be down the road.

chrisheery
03-22-2007, 09:19 AM
he is unreal. the perfect fit for duke. the type of player who will get his jersey retired and win a national championship (or two or three) and win player of the year a couple times. he will go on to be the number one overall pick. he is amazing.

patrick, you hear all that? see you in blue next year? yes?

CMS2478
03-22-2007, 09:33 AM
he is unreal. the perfect fit for duke. the type of player who will get his jersey retired and win a national championship (or two or three) and win player of the year a couple times. he will go on to be the number one overall pick. he is amazing.

I'm thinking you are predicting the best case scenario, but hey "way to think positive." :D However, Patterson is really good from the vidoes I have seen and seeing him play in person a couple of times. I agree that Mayo took most of the spotlight, but he gets a lot of "garbage points" and plays defense and rebounds well. I think he is drawing comparisons to Elton Brand the way he is a beast down low. If and when he comes to Duke and works on his offensive game (since Mayo won't be there to ball-hog the whole time) he could be really special.

dukeimac
03-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Patterson is a great talent. With Josh gone this guy will get a lot of playing time next year, and I think that is a good thing.

Patterson and the other freshman coming in should get a lot of playing time together and great things will happen with this crop of talent.;)

evrdukie
03-22-2007, 12:20 PM
McRoberts wasn't necessarily the answer for Duke next year, but the climb back just got a lot steeper. Not good news.

CMS2478
03-22-2007, 12:22 PM
McRoberts wasn't necessarily the answer for Duke next year, but the climb back just got a lot steeper. Not good news.

The only good part that could come from this might be that Duke looks more intriguing now that there is a starting spot available. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

For Patterson.................forgot that part.

Duke in 2008
03-22-2007, 01:27 PM
Now that McRoberts is leaving early for the NBA, I hope Coach K and the rest of his staff put more effort in trying to secure Patterson for next year. Do you think the chance of Patterson coming to Duke just increased based on McRoberts news??

Classof06
03-22-2007, 01:29 PM
Our chances increased without a doubt. Now we just have to close.

efudd
03-22-2007, 02:03 PM
If the coaches knew McBob was leaving, they have conveyed that to Patterson. Is it a bad sign that he has not signed/declared?

dukerev
03-22-2007, 02:36 PM
It shouldn't be a good sign or a bad sign that PP hasn't declared (for Duke or anyone else). He said early on that he would cut his list down to 3 schools at the end of March and make his final decision in April. While McRoberts leaving Duke (early) is probably a factor in PP's decision, why would he immediately declare before he said he would? We'll just have to be patient with Patterson, the same way we were with Lance.

Duke15304
03-22-2007, 03:46 PM
Patrick is very important so its hard to be patient, but i understand we will have to wait

Dukefan4Life
03-22-2007, 04:28 PM
I have never seem PP play, but from what i hear he is a killer inside and rebounds very well! I would really like to see him play for us next season. with josh going pro, I dont like our chances with Z maning the middle next year on his own!

arnie
03-22-2007, 05:24 PM
I've watched him play and he is a real beast. On local radio they were comparing him strongly to Shelden at this point in his career. He will be a tremendous help to the program if we can land him. He is NOT at all similar to other big men we have recruited in the past few years - he plays inside, can catch the ball and is very, very strong.

lavell12
03-22-2007, 05:31 PM
Tubby leaving to Minnesota also helps the chances of PP coming to Duke. Florida will have basically no talent next year so if I was PP I would be going to Durham.

BTBall
03-22-2007, 05:41 PM
Florida has a terrific recruiting class coming in so I think it's an overstatement to say that they will have "no talent."

hurleyfor3
03-22-2007, 05:48 PM
Ky fans will probably use Patterson as a way to blame Duke for Tubby leaving. The explanation will be something like "Tubby heard Patterson was going to Duke so he quit before the news got out" or "Coach K was the second gunman on the grassy knoll" or somesuch. They're kooks.

Beezer7
03-22-2007, 06:04 PM
Is he explosive inside and does he have good hops?

ikiru36
03-22-2007, 06:12 PM
Though others could likely share more insight, I have read a bit as well as seen Patterson play on TV a few times. As for recent Duke references, Boozer and Shelden most come to mind, though perhaps a notch below each in terms of clearly standing out as a dominant force. He's probably a bit more coordinated/mobile (like Boozer) but with long arms and good defensive timing (like Shelden). He has hops/reasonable explosiveness but there is legitimate reason why he's not a top 5 prospect. Basically, he's really good, but not a complete freak of nature (meaning that in a purely positive way, basketball-wise). He is pretty much consensus ranked between #10 and #15 in a solid HS class and is the #2 rated at the PF position. Importantly, he is also supposedly a good kid and excellent student.

He would, without a doubt, be an important player for the program as Brendan Wright and Kevin Love (I'm guessing) were the other players Duke potentially imagined playing the 'strong but skilled' PF position. This is a player-type which Duke has had excellent success in developing (Brand, Boozer, S. Williams) and which immediately earns a kid alot of minutes, so long as he has good hands.

All that being said, don't sleep on the potential development of Thomas and/or Zoubek this summer. They were the youngest players (age-wise) on our team this year and have a real opportunity to add some lean bulk which would immediately improve the solidly-skilled games they already possess and allow them the confidence while on the court to develop even further.

The other 'X' factor inside will be McClure who seemed to lose much of his explosiveness after his injury in the B.C. game. If he gets that back, while we wouldn't be huge with him in at the 4/5, we will already be very skilled and versatile, even without Patterson.

My general feeling is that without Patterson, unless Thomas or Zoubek make major strides (which they may), we'll be good-very good (limited mostly due to exploitable interior defense), but one more year away from being a likely Final Four contender. With Patterson, we'll have at least equivalent depth as UNC this year, and likely be a Top 8 team for most of the season (as we'll still be young), but a serious contender by February, 2008.

To me, either of these sound pretty good, but the latter is certainly preferable.

Go Lady Devils!!!! Go Duke!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!

JasonEvans
03-22-2007, 06:28 PM
Florida has a terrific recruiting class coming in so I think it's an overstatement to say that they will have "no talent."

I dunno about "terrific." It is a good class but really only includes one top tier player. I think it is certainly one of the 10 best classes in the land, but probably not among the top 5. When you consider what Florida is likely to lose and what they are likely to bring back (none of their top 4 players and only 2 guys who saw meaningful minutes this season), it is not the kind of class that will keep Florida in the Top 25.

If Kentucky is out of the picture, I would submit that the only school left on PP's list who looks to be a Top 25 team next year is Duke.

-Jason "with a top team and playing time available, one would think PP would have an easy choice-- we'll see" Evans

wisteria
03-22-2007, 08:11 PM
Ky fans will probably use Patterson as a way to blame Duke for Tubby leaving. The explanation will be something like "Tubby heard Patterson was going to Duke so he quit before the news got out" or "Coach K was the second gunman on the grassy knoll" or somesuch. They're kooks.

From what I've read on Ky forums, Ky fans are celebrating Tubby's leaving. I doubt they'll blame anyone.

wisteria
03-22-2007, 08:19 PM
I dunno about "terrific." It is a good class but really only includes one top tier player. I think it is certainly one of the 10 best classes in the land, but probably not among the top 5. When you consider what Florida is likely to lose and what they are likely to bring back (none of their top 4 players and only 2 guys who saw meaningful minutes this season), it is not the kind of class that will keep Florida in the Top 25.

If Kentucky is out of the picture, I would submit that the only school left on PP's list who looks to be a Top 25 team next year is Duke.

-Jason "with a top team and playing time available, one would think PP would have an easy choice-- we'll see" Evans

I, as many of you, am desperate to wish PP choosing Duke. However, MANY people from KY or FL forums seem to believe that PP's florida lean (assuming that Billy D stays put in FL). Of course it is nothing official, but I guess there are reasons for so many people to believe this way. As much as I would love to have PP in Duke, I am preparing for the worst.

watzone
03-22-2007, 09:15 PM
I have never waivered in my thinking that Duke had a good chance of getting Patrick Patterson. The happenings at Kentucky were expected by some and yes, it helps as does McRobert's making it official. Yes, he will sign an agent. If PP does choose three schools, look for it to be Duke, Florida and Virginia.I am not certain he will trim the list at all. Also, this will go to the very end, just as Duke had hoped it would.

Let me make this clear. I think Duke is in good shape.

Blue Devil Nation (<form action="https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr" method="post">)

DukeDevilDeb
03-22-2007, 09:25 PM
When deos Patterson have to make up his mind?

throatybeard
03-22-2007, 09:30 PM
I tried, and failed, to edit the extremely confusing subject line of this thread. (The title sounds like PP is being cited/quoted as having said something on the subject of JMcR going pro). Anyway, I failed to edit it b/c I couldn't figure out how. Sorry about that.

Troublemaker
03-22-2007, 09:34 PM
I, as many of you, am desperate to wish PP choosing Duke. However, MANY people from KY or FL forums seem to believe that PP's florida lean (assuming that Billy D stays put in FL). Of course it is nothing official, but I guess there are reasons for so many people to believe this way. As much as I would love to have PP in Duke, I am preparing for the worst.

I'm more confident now that Kentucky is removed from the picture (more or less). Not just because odds improve from 1-in-4 to 1-in-3. But because now, distance from home potentially works in our favor. Durham is only an hour farther away from Huntington than Charlottesville, but it is four hours farther away than Lexington. Before, if distance from home was an important factor, Kentucky had a clear advantage.

Chicago 1995
03-22-2007, 09:47 PM

1. I think you are understating the amount of talent Florida's going to have back and coming in, FWIW. They'll be young and relying on a lot of guys in new roles, obviously, but they've got top 25 talent for sure and a pretty darn good coach.

2. It's early in the preseason Jason. We may not be a top 25 team by the time next season tips.

Jumbo
03-23-2007, 12:22 AM
I tried, and failed, to edit the extremely confusing subject line of this thread. (The title sounds like PP is being cited/quoted as having said something on the subject of JMcR going pro). Anyway, I failed to edit it b/c I couldn't figure out how. Sorry about that.

Do I always have to pick up the slack for you, big guy? ;)

TwoDukeTattoos
03-23-2007, 07:22 AM
I am sure that that PP is also waiting to see what Joakim Noah or Corey Brewer does at the end of the season. I am not sure what their draft stock is, but if either one of them goes pro, I think Florida has the edge to land PP. PP had a great visit at Florida.

ItalianDevil
03-23-2007, 09:15 AM
Pat, if you're reading please come to Durham !!!!!! The Devils need you, man;)

mph
03-23-2007, 12:32 PM
If the coaches knew McBob was leaving, they have conveyed that to Patterson. Is it a bad sign that he has not signed/declared?

Even if the coaching staff knew Josh was leaving, they probably wouldn't pass that information on to a recruit. First, it's Josh's decision to announce or keep things quiet. Second, no matter how sure you are a player is leaving, when they are an important part of your team's success, you don't burn bridges. In my experience, one of the fastest ways to make up the mind of someone considering leaving a team is to make that information public. A decision that was once personal, suddenly becomes a public test of credibility.

JJweMISSu
03-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Patrick Paterson Is A Need. This Kid Is A Monster. Atleast The Game I Went To He Had A 6ft 9 Kid On Hiom And Tht Kid Seemed Like He Wasnt Even There. Now Tht Josh Is Gone We Need Him. Dont Forget About Singler Guys Though He Aint To Bad Himself

CMS2478
03-23-2007, 01:06 PM
Patrick Paterson Is A Need. This Kid Is A Monster. Atleast The Game I Went To He Had A 6ft 9 Kid On Hiom And Tht Kid Seemed Like He Wasnt Even There. Now Tht Josh Is Gone We Need Him. Dont Forget About Singler Guys Though He Aint To Bad Himself

What's up with the all the capital letters...... :confused:

VaDukie
03-23-2007, 01:29 PM
JJwemissu,

What the hell do you have Hurley coming off the bench for?

Wask
03-23-2007, 02:24 PM
I saw PP play this year in person, and the OJ show was in full effect.

That being said, I think that he probably run the floor better than Shelden or Elton did... he runs the floor well and really fills in the lanes on the break. His high school team was a real run and gun show...

however...

let's not forget prior to the new juice, he shouldered his team to two state titles ...

I think they school that shouldn't be counted out at this point also is WVU... while it certainly looks like one of the big dogs is going to win, word is WVU is the darkhorse he may decide on in the end... he would be a West Virginia legend if he stayed home

dukepsy1963
03-23-2007, 03:42 PM
Think this might work.....????

dockfan
03-27-2007, 11:41 AM
These quotes from Patrick Patterson are taken from an article I found off of Watzone's blog (myblogdevils.eponym.com). Maybe I'm reading too much into this, but these quotes HAVE to be in Duke's favor. Plus, Patterson recently was quoted as saying how much he appreciated and recognized Coach K's honesty.

Looks like decision day is about two weeks away, regardless of this Florida/Kentucky/Donovan stuff.

>>>>>>>>>>>
Patterson, who will be playing for the East team, was unexpectedly entered into the slam dunk contest after he signed up only for the skills competition and also didn't make it past the first round.

After the game Patterson, out of Huntington (W.Va.) High School, said he would still consider UK, depending on whom Barnhart hires to replace Smith.

The 6-8 power forward is also being recruited by Florida and has considered the possibility that Barnhart will try to hire current Gators head coach Billy Donovan, a former UK assistant.

"I've thought about it a lot," Patterson said. "I haven't talked to Billy about it (recently).

"The last time I talked to him he said he wasn't going to go. But things can change. Tubby said he wasn't going to leave and he left so I've still got to talk to him (Donovan) about it."

Patterson plans to return home after the game, discuss with his parents what college he would like to eliminate and plans on making his final decision in the second week of April.

"I may wait to see who they hire or if coach Donovan leaves (for UK)," Patterson said. "I'm going to try to wait and see who they hire, but I'm not going to wait forever because the second week of April I'm going to get it over with."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Regardless of what happens, Patrick really seems like a thoughtful, intelligent kid, with good parents and with his priorities in order about this whole process.

tux
03-27-2007, 11:53 AM
I guess with things up in the air at UK and also (b/c of the rumors) at UF, Duke looks like the steadier ship. Maybe that will sway PP --- Duke looks like the less stressful choice...

SilkyJ
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the Donovan to UK move affecting Patterson?

As I recall (before Tubby left) Florida and UK were rumored to be fighting for #1 on his list and we were a close 3rd. With Tubby gone, one would have to imagine it would be between us and Florida, and if it was true that UK and UF were battling for the top spot, then it would seem UF & Donovan would be his #1 choice (even if it is barely so). You think its possible he might just follow Donovan wherever he goes/stays?

Also, I just tried to find a reference from Throaty's handbook, but could not find this one: "Why don't we ever recruit true centers. We always seem to start 6-8 to 6-10 power forwards at the 5 spot." (see brand, boozer, sheld, mcbob)

silk

BlueDevilBaby
03-27-2007, 12:07 PM
I hope he doesn't refer to Coach K as "Mike". ;) Please come to Duke, Patrick!

Chicago 1995
03-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Anyone have any thoughts on the Donovan to UK move affecting Patterson?

As I recall (before Tubby left) Florida and UK were rumored to be fighting for #1 on his list and we were a close 3rd. With Tubby gone, one would have to imagine it would be between us and Florida, and if it was true that UK and UF were battling for the top spot, then it would seem UF & Donovan would be his #1 choice (even if it is barely so). You think its possible he might just follow Donovan wherever he goes/stays?

Also, I just tried to find a reference from Throaty's handbook, but could not find this one: "Why don't we ever recruit true centers. We always seem to start 6-8 to 6-10 power forwards at the 5 spot." (see brand, boozer, sheld, mcbob)

silk

I think it's highly likely. I think Patrick's going to end up whereever Billy is.

That being said, I have a hard time believing Donovan's already agreed to a contract with UK with his team chasing history and all this weekend.

I also think Donovan's as likely to go to the Heat as he is to go to UK. Billy coaching the Heat would open Patrick's recruitment up, but likely much, much too late for him to go anywhere else.

CMS2478
03-27-2007, 12:18 PM
I have no sources to back this up, just a gut feeling..........if Donovan goes to UK, so does Patterson. He seems to like the school Kentucky, but the coach Donovan, so he would have both if that scenario plays out. Hopefully, I'm wrong and ends up at Duke.

VaDukie
03-27-2007, 12:32 PM
I agree for the most part CMS, but I wonder if the Tubby fiasco soured him on the Kentucky fans. He might be wondering that if they ran out Tubby, what will they think of him if he doesn't bring them national success? He'd be the most high profile recruit to come to UK in recent years, and the pressure on him to deliver would be intense.

Either way, I'm not counting on him to arrive here, although it would be nice.

Patrick Yates
03-27-2007, 01:05 PM
Nick Calathes, the 6-5 McD's AA who is a pass first PG said that he would follow Donovan "whereever" in an article I read recently (don't have link). Nick has a highly touted 6-8 wing/pf high school teammate also headed to FL, but that might follow Nick and Billy to UK. Suddenly, UK might be talented enough to sway PP (who I agree seems to have soured on the UK fan base). Donovan could pitch PP a scenario where he would be filling a recruiting class (UK already bringing in a 7 ft center) eerily similiar to the current Noah, Horford, et al class that would be 2-3 year away from being a national title contender.

Donovan to UK might not be that great for Duke.

Patrick Yates

kramerbr
03-27-2007, 09:48 PM
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS02/703270376/1002/SPORTS

I didn't know he was such an athletic leaper.

LetItBD08
03-27-2007, 10:21 PM
I believe that's Singler with the videocamera in the background of the picture. Could be wrong.

Son of Jarhead
03-28-2007, 12:05 AM
I like this last line:

"They need a shot-blocking contest," Patterson said. "I can win that."

Sounds like he would fit right in on our defense. (yes... & our offense, too.)

Patrick, we need you... but more importantly, we want you to come to Duke. The fit is just too perfect to pass up.

mjones723
03-28-2007, 12:19 AM
It would be incredibly nice to get this kid. K needs to work some magic.

hc5duke
03-28-2007, 12:49 AM
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070327/SPORTS02/703270376/1002/SPORTS

I didn't know he was such an athletic leaper.

Yeah sure, only cuz you don't see the trampoline underneath him!

ItalianDevil
03-28-2007, 07:44 AM
Pat you're great! We already love you, please come to Durham!!!!!;)

weezie
03-28-2007, 08:25 AM
And how nice that he doesn't "feel like" stuffing the ball in anyone's face, preferring to just lay it in. Sounds like he believes in team ball and getting back on defense.
Please come to Duke, Patrick!

MrBisonDevil
03-28-2007, 12:05 PM
PP remindes me of Shelden Brand/Elton Williams at this point in his HS career. I think he can be that kind of player at Duke.

I'm already a big PP fan. I know he is seriously thinking about his decision and which ever way he goes, I'll still be a fan. I hope he comes to Duke, but I know he'll make the best decision for himself and his future.

Smart kid IMO. He's one of those players I can retired up Cameron's rafters.

Clipsfan
03-28-2007, 01:49 PM
Nick Calathes, the 6-5 McD's AA who is a pass first PG said that he would follow Donovan "whereever" in an article I read recently (don't have link). Nick has a highly touted 6-8 wing/pf high school teammate also headed to FL, but that might follow Nick and Billy to UK. Suddenly, UK might be talented enough to sway PP (who I agree seems to have soured on the UK fan base). Donovan could pitch PP a scenario where he would be filling a recruiting class (UK already bringing in a 7 ft center) eerily similiar to the current Noah, Horford, et al class that would be 2-3 year away from being a national title contender.

Donovan to UK might not be that great for Duke.

Patrick Yates

I just read that article as well (it's in the McDonald's AA game thread) and during the same interview I think that Calathes said that he'd have strongly considered going pro straight from HS. I doubt that he's planning on spending multiple years in school.

I also found it amusing that Mayo said that he always planned on going to college in the other interview. He's funny.

tropical storm
03-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Or maybe Patterson will be an inch taller, 20 pound heavier version of Jamal Boykins. This strikes me as similar to the we need "Lance to Advance" thread from last year.

Look, I hope we get Patterson, by all accounts he is a good kid. His ranking, and the little i have seen of him would indicate he has the ability to play at Duke. That said he is ranked between 15 and 20 in his class, not notably different than existing Dukees Zoubek, Thomas and King were/are (Singler is consistently rated much higher).

If we get Patterson he will likely play significant minutes given that we are thin at this type of position, but offensively he is likely to be the 4th or 5th option. Anything he gives us as a freshman beyond a few rebounds and 5 post fouls a game will be a plus. I will be extremely happy to land him, but I am not ready to hang his name in the rafters just yet.

CMS2478
03-28-2007, 02:10 PM
Or maybe Patterson will be an inch taller, 20 pound heavier version of Jamal Boykins. This strikes me as similar to the we need "Lance to Advance" thread from last year.

Look, I hope we get Patterson, by all accounts he is a good kid. His ranking, and the little i have seen of him would indicate he has the ability to play at Duke. That said he is ranked between 15 and 20 in his class, not notably different than existing Dukees Zoubek, Thomas and King were/are (Singler is consistently rated much higher).

If we get Patterson he will likely play significant minutes given that we are thin at this type of position, but offensively he is likely to be the 4th or 5th option. Anything he gives us as a freshman beyond a few rebounds and 5 post fouls a game will be a plus. I will be extremely happy to land him, but I am not ready to hang his name in the rafters just yet.

I don't think you are giving him enough credit. Patterson plays on a team with Mayo who shoots 90% of the time. The only offensive oppotunities he is given our offensive putbacks. You rankings don't skyrocket based on defense and rebounding. I think he will be a much bigger inside force than LT. Lance joined a Duke team that already had a good center (Josh), but if we don't land Patterson..........it could be a long year in the paint for us. :o

phaedrus
03-28-2007, 03:23 PM
PP remindes me of Shelden Brand/Elton Williams at this point in his HS career.

you mean Shelton Brilliams?

feldspar
03-28-2007, 03:29 PM
you mean Shelton Brilliams?

No, no, no. Elden Williand.

throatybeard
03-28-2007, 03:38 PM
You know who I liked was Sheldlik Horvath. That guy got better every summer.

Patrick Yates
03-28-2007, 03:56 PM
PP remindes me of Shelden Brand/Elton Williams at this point in his HS career. I think he can be that kind of player at Duke.

I'm already a big PP fan. I know he is seriously thinking about his decision and which ever way he goes, I'll still be a fan. I hope he comes to Duke, but I know he'll make the best decision for himself and his future.

Smart kid IMO. He's one of those players I can retired up Cameron's rafters.

Knowing who you meant, you are wrong. Shel and Elton (and Boozer) were bigger, a lot bigger, than PP. I think it was Watzone or Jumbo that said he looked like a small 6-8, and he is listed anywhere from 225-235. Even at 235 he is smaller than our past greats.

Elton was a tall 6-8 and about 250-260 (with go-go gadget arms, a 7 ft wingspan) when he showed up. Boozer was around 240, but 6-9, and Shel was 6-9-245 when he got here. I just do not think PP is big enough match thier contributions right away. There is no doubt that he would help, and that he might even start, but I do not see him as a dominant post initially. His high school game is similiar to Hans, but he is shorter and smaller than TH (maybe a better athlete). He scores by overpowering people, and I am not sold that he can do that against ACC competition. (He will tonight because most of those McD's AA's are allergic to defense tonight, but this game is no measuring stick for the long term performance)

Also, when our other three bigs got here, they were able to significantly change thier bodies over time. Elton did not gain much weight, but he got much stronger as he reduced his body fat percentage, basically replacing fat with muscle.

Boozer was able to put on about 20 lbs at duke, much like Shel, whose shoulders were unreal his Sr year.

PP has those shoulders already, which is my way of saying that I do not think he can make the physical strides that our past bigs were able to make. I really think that he has almost maxed out his physical develpopment (other than the cardio of playing vs. better athletes than in HS).

I am not ripping on the kid. I think he would really help next year. But do not cast him as another Shel, Elton, or Boozer. His body will not let him be that dominant from day one. It is too much pressure for any kid, and it invariably leads to some yahoo like me blasting him on line after he underperforms versus a bigger kid.

Patrick Yates

feldspar
03-28-2007, 04:02 PM
You know who I liked was Sheldlik Horvath. That guy got better every summer.

I hear he's doing pretty well with the 736ers.

throatybeard
03-28-2007, 04:13 PM
PP has those shoulders already, which is my way of saying that I do not think he can make the physical strides that our past bigs were able to make.

Exactly. You should have seen 'Vath's shoulders by the summer after he graduated. They were bigger than Ivory Latta's eyeballs.

NYC Duke Fan
03-31-2007, 09:20 AM
I obviously have no inside information whatsoever, but the rumors were that Patterson was leaning toward Florida with Kentucky a second choice. Was he leaning toward Florida because he loved Gainsville or was it Billy Donovan?

As to Kentucky was it Tubby Smith or playing at Kentucky ?

If the answer to the above questions were the latter in both instances, then Donovan going to Kentucky , ( if that happens), would seem to seal the issue of where Patterson will wind up.

ikiru36
03-31-2007, 02:41 PM
My sense of things, based on reading a lot (articles about his recruitment and Patrick's statements in particular) but no inside information whatsoever, is that he likes all 3 coaches (with, perhaps, a particular preference for Tubby), enjoyed the larger school feel at UF and UK, but is also a kid who values the Duke name, academically (not that UK, or UF in particular, aren't good schools).

Since his parents are apparently following him whereever, their location preference being an unknown is a likely mild X factor.

My best guess is that Donovan at Kentucky would be tough to beat (especially if he wins another NC), unless the Tubby relationship really sours Patrick(and his family) on the UK fans/administration. Nevertheless, the biggest thing in Duke's favor is that Patrick got to spend the week with our other 3 recruits and then plays again with N. Smith and K. Singler at the upcoming Nike summit. Hopefully, he sees how much fun (and what an opportunity) it'd be to play with those guys, and recognizes the value of being in a stable program rather than one in transition.

I'd love it if he came to Duke and I think he'd be a great fit, garnering solid minutes (and maximizing his NBA exposure). I also love Durham and hope that his folks would appreciate the family atmosphere of Duke Basketball.

While him coming to Duke, I believe, would be the best situation for him and for Duke next year, we'll be o.k. without him too. Unless you have some special knowledge re: Thomas or Zoubek being uncompetitive and lazy, they will work hard to improve their strength, size and skills this summer. As I've noted before, for whatever it's worth, they were particularly young Freshmen, so they likely have the most to gain from a summer's hard work.

Join us Patrick!, but in any event, Go Lance!, Go Brian!, Go Duke!, GTHCGTH!

CMS2478
04-02-2007, 12:53 PM
Ok, call me a pessamistic fan, but at this point I am not very confident that we are going to land Patterson. Which in turn means that I am not very confident at all about next year in the paint. I think Lance will improve and McClure is good but too small and I think Z will be good his JR and SR year but next year will be the year he gets "thrown in there" and will be his developing year. All this assuming PP doesn't come. I don't think we win a national championship if he does come, but without him I think we could be in serious trouble in the post..............somebody please tell me I'm wrong!!! :(

Wander
04-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Without Patteron - and maybe even with him - I think we need to try out a four guard line up, like Oregon this year or Villanova last year. We're going to have a fantastic backcourt, and I have a feeling losing McRoberts will end up being addition by subtraction in the long run.

CMS2478
04-02-2007, 01:02 PM
Not quite sure why my post got moved? I was trying to get opinions on how we will be in the post next year with or without Patterson. The post wasn't to talk about whether we are getting him or not/how good he is :confused:

VaDukie
04-02-2007, 02:00 PM
Does anyone have any idea on Patterson? Wasn't he supposed to narrow his list to 3 by now?

If we don't get him, I'd personally like to see him go to Wake. WVU won't use him, UK doesn't deserve him, UF has done enough winning for now, and I don't want to bring any happiness to the idiots at thesabre. I think at Wake he vaults them to a top 25 team next year, and after receiving the silver medal in a number of recruiting battles, it'd be nice to see them land a big time prospect.

Devilnole
04-02-2007, 02:42 PM

Right on, Chris. Not to mention the adoration of the coeds and certain induction into the NBA Hall of Fame.

Devilnole (Richard Hadlow)

Patrick Yates
04-03-2007, 11:38 AM
CBS is reporting that WVU's Beilan to Michigan is a done deal. That is one possible suitor out the door (of the four possible suitors whom I believe to be serious). Without Beilan, WVU eats it, hard, and are too much of a gamble for PP.

Media outlets are begining to report that Billy D might take the money and run...to the League. They are saying that the Miami Heat, and the Memphis Grizz are going to throw redonkulous amounts of money at Billy D. He might listen because he is young enough, at 42, to take the money, and then come back to any college job he wants (probably in the NE) in a few years if it doesn't work out in the league.

Now, Donovan to KY probably kills us with PP. I think that would doom us, likewise with Billy D staying put at FL. I think this is what PP has been waiting for all year, to see what happens to his ideal programs.

Tubby was on shakey ground at KY, everyone knew that this year. Billy D was trying to repeat, and if he did (he did) then he might be a hot commodity and vacate the building.

Duke was a safe, stable, alternative where K was going to be, regardless. Good team, good coach, good program. But there is instant, practically guaranteed stardom at the other schools, which simply doesn't exist at Duke. Next year at FL or KY (or WVU) he was a surefire star coming in to replace depleted (FL) or untalented (KY) frontlines. Duke is a little less sure due to the unknown commodities of LT and BZ. If they improve over the Summer, PP's stardom is not a sure thing. At FL and KY, he can roll out of bed, start, and get the green light from day one.

But, PP doesn't want to play for a no name coach (FL) or renegade fan base (KY) if those teams are deprived of their current staffs. Billy D at FL or KY moots this point, but if the NBA comes calling, with 2 to 2.5x per year salary, Billy D might take it, and run. Then, Duke wins by default.

As an aside, please do not spout off about not wanting a kid who doesn't have Duke as his primary option. PP is smart, and he is doing what I think a lot of the Middle High Ranked Posts should and will do, much like LT.

PP is good, no doubt. But he is not big enough nor skilled enough to be a true superstar, regardless. If he comes into a situation where there is lesser talent or available minutes, then he can and will post solid to big numbers.

What I am saying is that he is not great enough to know that he will play wherever he goes, no matter what. At UNC, with Hans, Stephenson, and Thompson, it is concievable that he would be the 4th best player. Same at KS, UCLA, etc.

PP is smart. For those bigs (6-7 to 6-9 in the 220 to 240 range) ranked from 15-75, they should wait until the year shakes out to decide where the will fit in best. These players can be key contributors, but rarely superstars, from day one in the right situation. PP will have to show that he can play D, rebound, and make some shots to play in the pros. He will actually have to produce, unlike a Brandon Wright who can do a little of that but get drafted on potential. PP will have to be substance rather than style, and he needs 2-3 years, or more, of steady play to highlight his strengths and get into the middle of the 1st round.

He is smart to wait this long, and his willingness to play it safe and suss out the best situation is just plain smart. Duke-smart, if you ask me. K can work with those kind of brains.

Patrick Yates

throatybeard
04-03-2007, 11:39 AM
CBS is reporting that WVU's Beilan to Michigan is a done deal. That is one possible suitor out the door (of the four possible suitors whom I believe to be serious). Without Beilan, WVU eats it, hard, and are too much of a gamble for PP.

Oh, crap. :(

feldspar
04-03-2007, 11:58 AM

What? Why is this bad for us?

ikiru36
04-03-2007, 12:01 PM

I'm confused. Beilein to Michigan is only good news for us as regards Patterson, albeit minorly so, since they were likely behind us anyways.

While I'm not in the 'we're in big trouble without Patterson' camp (though I think we'd be a great fit for each other), Donovan winning the N.C. makes him tough to turn down at either Kentucky or Florida (unless they all returned again at Florida which seems highly unlikely), though I hadn't yet considered the Donovan Pro jump which would increase our chances substantially.

I'm not thinking about that one yet unless I hear more about the possibility, because Donovan's personality seems a pretty good fit in College (certainly relative to Pitino, who ended up striking out anyways) so the money would have to double or triple his other opportunities to be worth the difficult transition to the NBA.

Anyways, we'll see, but in any eventuality, I like the kids we've got next year and look forward to seeing them develop, 'cause the potential is there!

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Atlanta Duke
04-03-2007, 12:05 PM
Agree with the observations in the Patrick Yates post above and speculate on how Donovan's future affects Patterson's choice as folllows.

With Donovan being king of the hill at the moment, he presumably will not want just any NBA job. The 2 slots I have seen linked to Donovan are the Knicks and Heat, although I doubt he would go to New York while Isiah is still around.. Since the Heat presumably would not announce a new coach until after being eliminated from the playoffs, that would take Donovan into May or June to announce that move.

FWIW my guess is Patterson will follow Donovan if Billy stays at the NCAA level; the question is whether Patterson feels like waiting to see if Donovan is going to the NBA.

Any big men (by which I do not mean 6'9 215 lb players best suited for the 3 position) on the Duke recruiting horizon for 2008-09?

DukeBlood
04-03-2007, 12:15 PM
Drew Gordon and Greg Monroe are two bigs for next years SR class. Although they are both 6'9 are very talented players.

Drew Gordon is mainly a post player, with very good defensive skills. Has very quick ups, and a decent vertical. Great rebounder and shotblocker. Would fit in well at Duke as he excels at defense. Dont know too much about his offense.

Greg Monroe on the other hand has been deemed the next Lamar Odem, A tall forward that can do it all(Loul Deng?). I know he can step out and hit the 3, post up, mid range. I havent heard much about his defense.

I know Samardo Samuels has listed Duke as a top contender for his choice, but I havent heard if Duke is recruiting him or not. He seems like a decent player from what I have seen.

Duvall
04-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I'm confused. Beilein to Michigan is only good news for us as regards Patterson, albeit minorly so, since they were likely behind us anyways.

It's slightly good news for Duke, but very bad news for West Virginia.

VaDukie
04-03-2007, 12:26 PM
1. It increases our chances of getting Greg Monroe
2. It allows for our other bigs (Thomas, Zoubek) to develop; both of whom are four year guys while Patterson could be out in 2
3. It means more playing time for Lance, who people inside the program identified as a strong future leader. I think outside of your true college centers (which are very rare), Lance will be able to guard most bigs. I'm also still skeptical that Patterson will be a better player than Thomas next year.

That being said, we would't be going after Patterson if K didn't think he could improve our team, so I do hope we get him. But I'm not on pins and needles.

Channing
04-03-2007, 12:29 PM
Regarding Greg Monroe: I could be off base, but from what I can tell Monroe is the much bigger fish to catch than Patterson. Does getting a player like PP significantly hurt our chances of snagging Greg Monroe? I know that he has said he has always been a Duke fan, but what are the chances he decides to come to Durham with a log jam of LT, BZ and McClure all on the squad?

jimsumner
04-03-2007, 12:52 PM
I mean absolutely no disrespect to any current member of the Duke basketball team but I seriously doubt whether Greg Monroe would be dissauded from coming to Duke because David McClure is already here.

mr. synellinden
04-03-2007, 12:54 PM
I think GM is good enough (or at least highly ranked/regarded enough) that he shouldn't be worried about playing time anywhere he goes. At least I hope that's his mentality.

If he comes to Duke and he is not good enough to get significant minutes ahead of PP, BZ and LT, then he should want to come to Duke so he can practice every day against that kind of talent and improve his skills.

That being said, if he comes to Duke (from the little I've seen and heard about him) I would expect him to be a day 1 starter

VaDukie
04-03-2007, 01:05 PM
I'd agree Jim; in fact, I could see McClure being pushed out of playing time next season unless his offensive game improves significantly. Of course the x-factor is how much his play was affected by hurting his knee against BC.

jma4life
04-03-2007, 01:27 PM
My analysis of Patterson is that he could definitely be very helpful next year, but long term, I don't think his presence will significantly impact Duke's success. I say that because with a front line of Thomas, Zoubek, and King with Singler able to play some 4 as well, Patterson would help a lot.

But in 08 if we add Monroe, then frankly, Thomas, Zoubek, Monroe and King is good enough.

That said, does anyone know how the Monroe recruiting is going. So far, everything I've heard has sounded pretty good but I'd be interested if anyone had any info of more substance.

Finally, McClure's success at Duke depends on two things in my opinion. First of all, if his knee injury did affect him towards teh end of the year, he needs to fully recover from that to the defender/intangible guy he was at the start of the year. And secondly, the guy desparately needs to develop a reliable jump shot. If he can do that, then regardless of who we bring in, I can see McClure contributing. Maybe not as many minutes, but still, a decent amount of pt.

texasdevil06
04-03-2007, 01:56 PM
I havent heard much about his defense.
I saw him play one full AAU game last spring and he seemed to enjoy playing aggressive defense. He started guarding Donte Greene when Greene began to go off on Monroe's team and gave him fits on the perimeter with excellent lateral movement. Given he was only 15-yrs-old at the time and Greene is an 18-yr-old Mickey D and a heck of an athlete, I was impressed.

dukelion
04-03-2007, 02:11 PM
Bob Gibbons recently indicated that Patrick Paterson will follow Billy Donovan wherever he goes.....either Kentucky or Florida.

If Donovan goes to Kentucky then Jai Lucas would also folow.

Either way, not looking good for us and PP.

On a postive note it means more minutes for Zoubek and with the impact of the 7 footers in the NCAA this year (Oden, Hibbert, Gray etc...) that's a good thing.

Zoubek should be a monster by his junior year.

It also means Singler will play a lot of 4.

Personally I think Singler is the perfect Duke 4 but I'll post more about that later in the offseason.

jimbonelson
04-03-2007, 02:23 PM
what heppens if donovan goes to the nba???

DukeBlood
04-03-2007, 02:26 PM
I happen to disagree about Singler at the 4. Singler is most compared to Dunleavy who was more of a 3.

I have seen Singler live once, and watched him a couple of times on tv. He looks more comfortable on the wing, and shooting. He did a fine job posting up, but just looked better as a 3.

Now if you are saying Duke will run a 3-guard Lineup(which is most likely going to happen) Paulus, Scheyer/Henderson and Nelson.. Then Singler will be a 4 mainly because of height.

Dukes last NC came with a big lineup of Boozer, Battier and Dunleavy.. I would like to see Duke go big again. I think Singler would be a great 3.

Jumbo
04-03-2007, 02:48 PM
I happen to disagree about Singler at the 4. Singler is most compared to Dunleavy who was more of a 3.

I have seen Singler live once, and watched him a couple of times on tv. He looks more comfortable on the wing, and shooting. He did a fine job posting up, but just looked better as a 3.

Now if you are saying Duke will run a 3-guard Lineup(which is most likely going to happen) Paulus, Scheyer/Henderson and Nelson.. Then Singler will be a 4 mainly because of height.

Dukes last NC came with a big lineup of Boozer, Battier and Dunleavy.. I would like to see Duke go big again. I think Singler would be a great 3.
The prototypical Duke "4" is an NBA "3" -- a guy who plays facing up, can shoot, handle and pass. Think Dunleavy as a junior, Battier, G. Hill, Deng, etc. I've seen Singler in person and he's PERFECT for that role. And, while he has terrific perimeter skills, he's actually got a real post-up game. He can score on the low block, which is huge. Defensively, he might leave a little something to be desired as, say, a shot-blocker. But if you look around the nation, what teams really start two legit bigs anyway?

DukeBlood
04-03-2007, 03:27 PM
The prototypical Duke "4" is an NBA "3" -- a guy who plays facing up, can shoot, handle and pass. Think Dunleavy as a junior, Battier, G. Hill, Deng, etc. I've seen Singler in person and he's PERFECT for that role. And, while he has terrific perimeter skills, he's actually got a real post-up game. He can score on the low block, which is huge. Defensively, he might leave a little something to be desired as, say, a shot-blocker. But if you look around the nation, what teams really start two legit bigs anyway?

I know- I have seen how Deng and all have turned out. I guess its just wishful thinking that Duke may go with a big lineup, Leaving Singler at the 3. The 3/4 are almost the same (assuming its not a 3-guard lineup). All of those guys you mentioned had a little better post game(except maybe Dunleavy). I just see Singler as a better Dunleavy in his career, He seems a little more athletic.

I have been wrong many times, and im sure i will b e wrong many more times. I just feel Singler would be a better 3 in a big lineup :) Either way, Singler will be a special player. Go Duke

dukelion
04-03-2007, 03:37 PM

I think Singler is way more similar to Battier than Dunleavy.

Dunleavy came to Duke as a 6' 6" skinny SF/SG. In highschool he always played on the perimeter and was never in the post. He eventually grew into his frame and filled out but he was always way more comfortable playing/defending the 2/3 postion.

Singler has always been 6' 8" to 6' 9" his entire highschool career and has ALWAYS defended the 4 and 5 positions on his highschool and AAU teams. That's the reason he averaged 10+ boards a game for his varsity career. Dunleavy never came close to that.

He's also a guy that scores a ton of points around the basket from putbacks, rebounds and post moves. Singler can shoot the three very well but he rarely relies on it to put up numbers (like Dunleavy did).

Singler relies on his mid range game and around the basket game and uses the three point shot to compliment his game (much like Battier did).

Grant it Singler defintely needs to add weight but the guy is a great positional defender (like Battier) and at 6' 9 with long arms he can more than hold his own against most ACC 4's.

He won't block a lot of shots but he won't give up many easy baskets.

jimsumner
04-03-2007, 03:45 PM
Singler may well play lots of 3 for Duke down the road.

But next year? Let's assume for the sake of argument that PP goes elsewhere.

Let's assume that Singler plays mostly the 3.

In that scenario, Zoubek, Thomas, and McClure split 80 mpg at the 4/5

And Singler, Paulus, Nelson, Scheyer, Henderson, Smith, Pocius, and King split 120 mpg at the 1/2/3. Does anybody think this is even remotely possible? Or desirable? Or that King or Henderson plays the 4, with Singler at the 3?

If Duke gets Monroe and Gordon, then I can see Singler playing lots of small forward in 2009/10/11 but in a Patterson-not-at-Duke-universe next season, Singler is a 4.

Keep in mind that being a 4 at Duke doesn't mean being shackled to the blocks. There will be some mismatches with KS trying to guard a 240-pounder inside but that 240-pounder is going to have to guard Singler all over the floor, also, so I think it's going to be a net gain for Duke.

dcarp23
04-03-2007, 05:02 PM
I don't see a reason why (if he is able to contribute) Taylor King couldn't do so at the four. He's is listed at 6'8 and appears to have some girth. One of the criticisms against him is the oh so trendy "lateral quickness," so letting him guard a bigger guy would solve some of those problems. He also had some gaudy rebounding numbers in high school (take that for what it is worth), which shows at least a willingness to hit the boards.

Offensively, it doesn't matter as much when running the motion. See Battier, Shane.

Bob Green
04-03-2007, 05:11 PM
I don't see a reason why (if he is able to contribute) Taylor King couldn't do so at the four. He's is listed at 6'8 and appears to have some girth. One of the criticisms against him is the oh so trendy "lateral quickness," so letting him guard a bigger guy would solve some of those problems. He also had some gaudy rebounding numbers in high school (take that for what it is worth), which shows at least a willingness to hit the boards.

Offensively, it doesn't matter as much when running the motion. See Battier, Shane.

I agree with you 100 percent and I've posted the same opinion in a couple of other threads. With Duke's approach, King can defend inside but play on the perimeter offensively. The key will be how quickly he learns the defense.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

werperry
04-03-2007, 09:18 PM
JJwemissu,

What the hell do you have Hurley coming off the bench for?

no kidding... you beat me to it. Gawwd knows i love wojo....but, hurley was the MAN....! :eek:

jimsumner
04-03-2007, 09:44 PM
Does anyone see King starting ahead of Singler?

Does anyone see King and Singler both starting at forward?

Again, in this latter scenario King would be taking minutes from Nelson and/or Henderson and/or Scheyer and/or Smith . . . well, you get the drift.

Given

a) K's tendency to go small
b) Duke relative lack of quality size
c) Duke's depth on the perimeter

I see no reason for Singler to get major minutes next season at the 3. I suspect King will play some 4 at Duke but more likely when Singler is resting not when Singler is playing the 3.

Boston Dukie
04-03-2007, 09:59 PM
I thought Singler looked fantastic in the Big Mac game, but for those who did not, don't worry, he is a special player.

I have seen 2 full games of him playing (one against Nolan Smith's team) and he really stands out. Can score from anywhere at any time, is actually very quick for 6-8/9 and is quite polished. Their is a reason the recruiting sites rate him so high.

He can definitely play the 4 - he has the size, and in Duke's system, he would just be like Shane all over again. This of course assumes we have a Boozer or Brand or Shelden Williams like presence at the 5. Unfortunately, the only one who I can see doing this next year is Patterson. Thomas is a year away, and Zoubek may never get there.

Fortunately, as many have said, help is on the way (e.g., Monroe, etc.).

So if we don't get Patterson, I think next year we have a very exciting team, but one that gets really hurt inside and may lose a lot of games. But the following year (2008-09), I think the team can be great and similar to the 1997-98 team that lost to Kentucky - a great core of perimeter, WF, and SF players that added the bulk inside in the form of the freshman (i.e., Brand, Burgess, Battier).

kydevil
04-04-2007, 01:36 PM
I've been hearing that PP was gonna cut down to three shortly after Mc'd aa game. Haven't heard of that happening. Any one have any news on when that will happen or if it has happened who those three are..... Duke,Florida and???

CMS2478
04-04-2007, 01:40 PM
I've been hearing that PP was gonna cut down to three shortly after Mc'd aa game. Haven't heard of that happening. Any one have any news on when that will happen or if it has happened who those three are..... Duke,Florida and???

Supposed to be right after the Mickie D's game, but I don't think he has trimmed it yet. Most people think Florida, Duke, and Kentucky will make the cut. I think that he is waiting to see what Donovan does. My instincts tell me that if it was Duke he could go ahead and announce. But he is waiting to see where Doonvan ends up. I think Patterson will play for him at Florida or Kentucky. Our only hope is that Donovan is coaching the Heat next year. :(

Sure hope I'm wrong on this one.

SilkyJ
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
singler and king CAN both play the four, but both would be playing out of position. Singler is a slightly more natural fit because he played it in high school quite a bit. King (if he makes it to the pros) would really be a 2-guard, which basically makes him a SF in our system and while we might be able to sneak him in some minutes at the 4, he isn't going to be able to do much defensively and will have limited effectiveness on the boards. Also, do not underrate how slow he is. King is REALLLLLY slow. If scheyer improves his shooting a little (King has got better range than scheyer right now) then I think scheyer/demarc/greg give us enough of an outside presence that we don't need another shooter and king will get VERY limited time.

I also believe we are way overrating PP as a 5. I have said this before, but we typically play guys that are really natural 4s at the 5 (Brand, Boozer, Sheld) and PP is way smaller (smaller = combo of height and weight) than those guys. The answer to our problems is Zoubek. He HAS to come along if we are going to make any combination of these guys work. Also, if Lance comes along, he an McClutch can hold down the 4 and let singler/king roam the wings when they are in.

whereinthehellami
04-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Supposed to be right after the Mickie D's game, but I don't think he has trimmed it yet. Most people think Florida, Duke, and Kentucky will make the cut. I think that he is waiting to see what Donovan does. My instincts tell me that if it was Duke he could go ahead and announce. But he is waiting to see where Doonvan ends up. I think Patterson will play for him at Florida or Kentucky. Our only hope is that Donovan is coaching the Heat next year. :(

Sure hope I'm wrong on this one.

I think alot of Coaches get sick of recruiting and after some success, the lure of the NBA seems attractive. Coach Donovan is a heck of a recruiter and seems to enjoy doing it. He is relentless and creative. Donovan just looks like a salesman/recruiter. Maybe he realizes how good he is at the college game and how good he has it at Florida. Then again maybe the dollars are singing to him.

whereinthehellami
04-04-2007, 02:25 PM
I agree with you 100 percent and I've posted the same opinion in a couple of other threads. With Duke's approach, King can defend inside but play on the perimeter offensively. The key will be how quickly he learns the defense.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Not to be harsh on a Duke player but I think he has a very steep curve ahead of him to see more than 10 MPG next year, especially in the frontcourt. I've only seen him play in the MCD All star game but his lack of foot speed and reaction times were painfully noticeable. In the Duke system that is at a premium and is a reason why Zoobs and Pocius saw such limited action. Opposing players will feast on King unless he is sitting back in the key.

houstondukie
04-04-2007, 06:02 PM
I think its pretty obvious Duke is not Patterson's top choice. Had Kentucky committed to Tubby, Patterson would have signed with UK a long time ago. At Duke, he knows there's plenty of opportunity for playing time, a great coach who isn't going anywhere, talented players around him, etc.

I understand he wants to wait until the dust settles with the coaching carousal, but I'm just saying, if Duke was truly his top choice, does it matter what happens at Kentucky and Florida? I would love for Duke to add Patterson, but do we really want a guy who would have prefered to be at a different school?

MrBisonDevil
04-04-2007, 06:10 PM
It really shouldn't matter if someone is a true PF, C or SF in the Duke system. The only true position player Duke needs on the floor all of the time is a Point Guard. Other than that, everyone is interchangeable.

I remember seeing Coach K use this line up (more than a few times in 03-04):
Chris Duhon - G
Daniel Ewing - G
Sean Dockery - G
JJ Redick - G
Shelden Williams - F/C

Shoot, I've seen David McClure play effective minutes in the paint as a center/power forward.

If the system works and kids know their roles, then "true position titles" means little. In the college game, position title is a little more interchangeable than in the pro game. IMO.

Cicero
04-04-2007, 06:57 PM
I think its pretty obvious Duke is not Patterson's top choice.

I understand he wants to wait until the dust settles with the coaching carousal, but I'm just saying, if Duke was truly his top choice, does it matter what happens at Kentucky and Florida? I would love for Duke to add Patterson, but do we really want a guy who would have prefered to be at a different school?

If Patterson decides to come to Duke, he will come because Duke is his first choice. His preferences prior to when he makes a decision and signs make little difference, since they are subject to change. If they did, then perhaps we should be concerned about Taylor King, who originally committed (verbally) to UCLA. Apparently Duke wasn't his first choice throughout the recruiting process, but it was when the time to sign rolled around.

Additionally, it's also possible that Patterson doesn't have a pre-determined decision tree that governs where he will go based on what Billy Donovan does. Perhaps he would rather let the dust settle and then consider his options.

However long it takes, I hope he ends up at Duke!

M. Tullius

DukeWarhead
04-04-2007, 10:39 PM
Has anyone heard anything on PP lately? I thought he was going to narrow his list down to three by the end of march. Did that happen? I imagine he is waiting to see what Billy Donovan does, but I thought he would have whiddled the list down by now.
Also, if Huggy Bear goes to West Virginia, does WVU all of a sudden look good to PP?
Just anxious to hear where he is going one way or the other. Then again, this last season has made me leary of placing too much emphasis on recruits. McDonalds AAs don't automatically translate into instant success...:cool:

Son of Jarhead
04-05-2007, 12:28 AM
However long it takes, I hope he ends up at Duke!

M. Tullius

I agree completely!

Patrick Patterson, come on down... you're the next contestant on "Duke All-American"!!!

Go Duke!!!!

BlueDevilBaby
04-05-2007, 11:30 AM
From the update today, it really does not sound promising for Duke. I agree that if Duke were his top choice, the coaching issues at other schools would not affect his decision and he would declare. Sounds like FL to me because I don't think Donovan is going anywhere unless it is to the NBA. But I sure would love for Patrick to surprise us all by committing to Duke. Please, Patrick!:)

Methodistman
04-05-2007, 12:13 PM
how long do you think it would take for a "PP to transfer" thread to begin?

BlueDevilBaby
04-05-2007, 01:05 PM
As soon as he doesn't play 30 minutes in the first game.:p

crackinthepavement
04-05-2007, 01:21 PM
It all sounds like a longshot re: Patterson----- I haven't read anything where he's even quoted with a mere mention of Duke

It seems like it's obviously Kentucky or Florida---- it would be hard for a kid to turn down Donovan right now, also, given all the hype around him as a coach.

vango
04-05-2007, 02:40 PM
I was going to post last night that I had a bad vibe on him coming - gonna say it was 10-20% - but with his recruitment still active I didn't want to post such a thing. With the statements in the article posted on the main page, the fact that our team is set for next year and one could see where they stood, I'd say it is a 5% chance now. Sounds like he's Florida's to lose.

Well, he sounds like a good kid with a good family and I was impressed with his demeanor during the recruiting. Still would like to see him coming to Duke and I think he'd have a better chance at playing time and a NC here, but reading between the lines it says FL to me.

Good luck to him. Has to be a tough decision. Hope he picks Duke...

Kfanarmy
04-06-2007, 12:26 PM
http://www.herald-dispatch.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070405/SPORTS02/704050352/1002/SPORTS

I'm not sure his latest statements mean anything, but he is certainly keeping the media glued to him by giving as little away as possible.

Susan
04-06-2007, 12:40 PM
Here's a little update on P.P. Don't know if it's been posted before, but there's an April 6 update stating that John Belein and Tubby are still trying to stay in the mix too, at their new schools. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/briefingroom?playerId=43944

And here's an article from today's Memphis paper. Sounds like Singler and Smith are doing their best to help Duke land Patterson! http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/basketball/article/0,1426,MCA_466_5467888,00.html Good article, but once again, the wrong spelling of "Dukies" is used. Grrrrr.

vango
04-06-2007, 02:26 PM
Here's a little update on P.P. Don't know if it's been posted before, but there's an April 6 update stating that John Belein and Tubby are still trying to stay in the mix too, at their new schools. http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/briefingroom?playerId=43944

And here's an article from today's Memphis paper. Sounds like Singler and Smith are doing their best to help Duke land Patterson! http://www.commercialappeal.com/mca/basketball/article/0,1426,MCA_466_5467888,00.html Good article, but once again, the wrong spelling of "Dukies" is used. Grrrrr.

Just a vibe I get. But, the longer he waits the better for us I think. Thanks for that link Susan - great article. Maybe I'll move my 5% back to 10-20%. :cool:

Waynne
04-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Based on PP's recent public comments, it sounds as though he is a done deal for UF. He (and his parents) sound infatuated with Donovan/UF, and if he is even considering Duke, he should be playing in the World Series of Poker. This is too bad both for him and us, because he would be a very good fit on the team next year, would likely play major minutes, and would win far more games here than he will at UF.

Boston Dukie
04-06-2007, 09:37 PM
Since there is really no way to know what he is thinking, it seems to me that based on what we do know about Duke and Florida, he is just as likely to pick Duke

Here is what we know:

1) Patterson is playing with Singler and Smith at the Nike Hoops summit - they are both trying to recruit him, and Singler is kicking *** - Patterson has to see that teaming with these guys (plus King) has got to mean a chance at a national championship down the road

2) Patterson's parents don't want him going too far - Florida is the farthest from home of the schools on his list

2) Patterson's parents are moving with him - job market way better in the triangle (Silicon Valley of the South) than Gainsville

4) He wants (or maybe its his parents again) good academics - no offense to any Florida grads, but come on, Duke is an elite academic institute - if he breaks his leg in college he will be glad he went to Duke

5) Speaking of injuries, where else would you want to go play basketball if you were worried about injuries? - Duke has the best medical staff because of Duke hospital of any major hoops program - just ask Elton Brand or Carlos Boozer

6) Florida has a starting spot for him next year, but they will really stink with their top 6 guys all leaving

7) Duke will have a starter spot for him as well (he has to see this, a real powerful inside presence is what Duke really needs)

8) Duke will be very good with him next year, and a killing machine the year
after - if he is 2 and done and wants a national championship ring, he should go to Duke

9) Duke is on national TV nearly every game, if you want exposure, Duke is your place

10) There is still a risk Donovan goes to NBA, maybe not this year, but what
about next year or the year after that? With Coach K and Dawkins both basically gauranteed to be around for 4 years, it is a much more stable program

11) Florida fans still care more about football, it is a football school - they don't even sell out all of their basketball games after winning the NC. I am sure Patterson has been to Cameron, so he knows what a real college b-ball atmosphere is like

Billy Donovan is hot right now, but I just don't think kid's make a life altering decision based on stuff like this.

He seems like a thoughtful kid, and will make the decision that is best for him, but I see no reason to assume he is going to Florida. The Duke resume listed above is compelling. It is very possible he was holding off on his decision to see what McRoberts and the Florida players were going to do. Now that he knows, it seems like Duke is a great fit. Either way, I think he will be a great player.

Lord Ash
04-06-2007, 10:27 PM
I seem to recall hearing that PP left Camaron early in his only visit there.

Susan
04-07-2007, 11:14 AM
According to this article yesterday on the Louisville Courier Journal site (http://www.courier-journal.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070406/SPORTS03/70406031/1002/SPORTS), Patterson will likely not make a decision until May. His mom emphasized again that all six schools on his list are currently still in the running.

Skitzle
04-07-2007, 03:00 PM
Nike Hoops summit is on FSN at 4PM.

With no Duke ball to watch, I'll just have to watch 2 incomers and 1 recruit.

Olympic Fan
04-07-2007, 03:37 PM
I have no idea what the kid is thinking, but just to put an old rumor to rest (again!), Patterson did not leave Cameron early during his visit -- it went really well.

He was on hand for the Duke-Boston College game Sunday Jan. 28, sitting behind the Duke bench ... just a few feet from Shelden Williams, whose jersey was retired at halftime. Patterson sat through the ceremony, watched the second half and was still milling around with several of his Huntington teammates 20 minutes after the game.

The next day, Huntington (sans OJ Mayo, who was suspended for pushing a ref) practiced in Cameron. The next night (with Mayo joining the team after winning a restraining order), Huntington played in Cameron, beating an LA team after Mayo fouled out and Patterson stepped up (20 points, 12 rebounds, 6 blocks, 9-of-10 from the floor).

I repeat, I have no idea what the kid will do (although I do hear that the Duke coaches think that the longer it plays out, the better for Duke). But I do know that PP's visit to Cameron went very well ... as well as it could have gone. He did NOT leave early.

lavell12
04-08-2007, 07:54 PM
My beat is Higgans comes in with some $$ and PP goes to West Virginia.

watzone
04-08-2007, 09:39 PM
I have seen a lot of people asking if PP was serious about Duke. Well, Duke has an in home visit just before the signing period starts. Duke is very much in this thing!

The relationship Duke has developed with the Pattersons is genuine. Sure, they made up some ground -- had to, but they are not about to back out of the race and keep in mind that Duke was welcomed by the Pattersons and have gotten to know them.

Duke offers PP a spot where he plays right away with a good supporting cast. UF and Billy D have done a good job of late, but the light is starting to dim and the reality is that if he was so certain he'd stay at UF, he would have announced it before the final four.

Then there are Duke fans that say he would have signed when McRobert's left, had he been serious. Uh, he has maintained all along that he would take the decision to the last minute and he will.

That said, be patient for Dukes sake. Don't over-speculate or create rumors unless you have some firm information. His camp does read the boards, and they pay attention to what is said.

So, please don't damage our efforts with comments like, I give up or don't care, or had he wanted to be a Devil he would have signed already.

It is not that simple folks! He wants to do the right thing and the longer it goes the better off Duke will be. Why? Because of what the Blue Devils have to offer.

Teams use neagtive recruiting tactics against Duke, but K stays away from that. In the end, his straight forward manner may just win Patrick over.

I don't think there is a single Duke fan here that can honestly say that Duke wouldn't be a great career choice for Patterson, especially with the pro track record, not to mention the many good citizens the school has produced.

As for his talent ... I have seen him play at least ten times, and I assure you he is a solid prospect. He is no Oden, but he is a player that can develop each and every year.

I think it comes down to this for Patrick ... do you want a friend or a mentor?

vango
04-08-2007, 10:21 PM
GREAT post! Good to hear your perspective. Thanks!

Channing
04-09-2007, 12:07 AM
Thanks Watzone - as always, your post regarding recruiting was well thought out and very insightful.

I have absolutely no sources whatsoever, but imo, the longer this goes on, the better change Duke has. The more PP weighs the pros and cons the better Duke looks (in my extremely biased opinion).

LGD!!!!!!!

lavell12
04-09-2007, 12:27 AM
I agree that the longer he waits is better b/c it means he just wasn't waiting to see if Donovan was staying at Florida.

mgtr
04-09-2007, 01:47 AM
Watzone-
Your insights are always worth reading and are useful. Keep it up!

Gozza
04-09-2007, 12:43 PM
Thanks Watzone, that was a great post and everything you're saying makes a lot of sense. My question for you would be this: do you think that landing Patterson this year impacts getting Greg Monroe next year, and if so, would you willing to risk scaring off Monroe? I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen of Patterson's width, athleticism and rebounding, and I think he could make an immediate impact in the post where we will desperately need the help next year--but Monroe is ranked #1 in his class at Scout.com. Any thoughts?

watzone
04-09-2007, 05:04 PM
Thanks Watzone, that was a great post and everything you're saying makes a lot of sense. My question for you would be this: do you think that landing Patterson this year impacts getting Greg Monroe next year, and if so, would you willing to risk scaring off Monroe? I've been extremely impressed with what I've seen of Patterson's width, athleticism and rebounding, and I think he could make an immediate impact in the post where we will desperately need the help next year--but Monroe is ranked #1 in his class at Scout.com. Any thoughts?

Absolutely not! Greg and Patrick are two very different players. Greg likes to float outside a lot and has a great handle (dribbling skills). Patrick is a true power player. The two complement each other, that is why Duke is after both of them. The staff doesn't hide that they are recruiting both when talking to them. A frontline of Patterson, Monroe, Thomas and Singler and King sounds pretty darn good.

Should Duke miss on Patrick, they will go hard for Drew Gordon, another power player.

The Blue Devils are very much in the selecting mode. They are going hard after players that fit their needs. In fact, I would say Duke is recruiting harder than ever.

A name to remember is Leslie McDonald, a player I mentioned in my premium section several months ago. He is 6-3 and very talented.

Monroe is a soft spoken young man with solid grades and willing to be a team player. His sister professed to being a Duke fan when I was interviewing her brother during an AAU event. It is clear to me that Duke is getting closer to championships than some seem to realize;)

Troublemaker
04-09-2007, 05:39 PM
Thanks for the thoughts in this thread, watzone. But don't forget about Zoubek. He should be an important part of Duke's future frontcourt as well.

JasonEvans
04-09-2007, 06:18 PM

In addition to the very insightful comments from Watzone, I might add that Greg Monroe need not be scared of playing time no matter where he goes. That kid will get minutes -- many, many minutes -- at any program in the nation. Yes, he is that good.

-Jason "Greg- COME ON DOWN!!" Evans

watzone
04-09-2007, 07:35 PM
I did forget about Zoubek for a moment. As many of you know, he will participate in a lot of strength building, and some workouts for footwork.

Dukevin
04-09-2007, 08:59 PM
I've got my fingers crossed that we get Patterson. From everything I have heard, he would be a great addition, but I am writing because I happened to have a chance to see Greg Monroe play in Hampton. Here goes:
Greg was in town to play in the Boo Williams tournament and just happened to play a game at my daughter's high school which is 5 minutes from my house. How could I not go? So my youngest daughter and I put on our Duke sweatshirts and braved the snow (Yes, snow in Hampton, Virginia in April. It didn't stick, but it sure was flying about . Hampton is right near Norfolk and Virginia Beach for those who are not familiar with this pearl of a town.). The game was at 8am, the gym was a little chilly, and we sat down, by accident or by providence , three rows behind the ' Louisiana Select' (LS) bench, that of Greg Monroe's team. Both teams were warming up when we arrived, I had no idea or intention in my foggy pre-coffee state to have a high profile, but it kind of turned out that way.
Not many people were in the gym. Maybe 75 fans spread around, and no one sat down in between us and the Louisiana Select bench. Well as you might guess, when Greg returned to the bench prior to the game, he saw us and we saw him. Now his coach was talking and the moment was brief, but I could have sworn we saw a spark in his eyes. Kind of like a waking realization. May I flatter myself that he was impressed that two Duke Fans (one a 9 year old girl) braved a wet snowy morning to come see him play! I had told my daughter prior to coming that Greg was probably a future NBA star (probably just like Patrick and Singler) and it turned out, we did indeed see something special that morning. Oh, just one last thing about us great Duke fans. When I looked around the gym to see who else wore school colors, I found one other Duke fan and NO other ACC or SEC school! Mostly NIke wear! I'm proud to say Duke was well represented.
OK, now for my fan-speak, layman-esk assessment. Greg is lean and long. His build reminded me of Antonio Lang, but a little taller. He certainly is not a mega muscle power forward, but he's only 17. I don't think he would ever have the build of Shelden, but he's still young. The game started off slowly and was competitive for about 3/4 before LS pulled away from the Florida team. My observations:
----I haven't seen a box score but I would guess that he shot 7-10 and pulled down 5 rebounds.
---- Greg played high post for most of the game. He was almost always the first pass from the guard bringing up the ball.
---- He is very quick. On a couple of occasions when he drove the lane, he was way ahead of his man. Florida started to double team him pretty early whenever he came inside. Quick to the ball.
---- Greg has a nice 'handle'. He ran the break a couple of times and once dribbled behind his back (just as nicely as McRoberts).
---- He has good footwork. Spin move in the lane.
---- He is strong. Powered over and up through contact.
---- NIce touch. His shots were dropping.
---- Best of all, Greg is a quiet leader. More than once he was motioning for his teammates to move here or there. I think almost every sequence went through him.
---- He paced himself well. When LS was down six and it looked like it was going to be a close game in the first half, Greg became more active. When LS was up by 15 late in the second, he set up the action.
---- All in all, I was very impressed. He was always under control and very athletic.
My daughter and I really enjoyed our cold morning outing. As we were exiting another older fan caught my eye, smiled and said "Flying the Duke flag for Monroe?". As I nodded and smiled, he added " Y'all can use a big man now". Well ,we all know he is right about that, so hopefully that will mean Patterson AND Monroe. (and Zoubek)
We could 'use' another Championship too!

thanks for reading!

Dukevin

kydevil
04-09-2007, 10:23 PM
Absolutely not! Greg and Patrick are two very different players. Greg likes to float outside a lot and has a great handle (dribbling skills). Patrick is a true power player. The two complement each other, that is why Duke is after both of them. The staff doesn't hide that they are recruiting both when talking to them. A frontline of Patterson, Monroe, Thomas and Singler and King sounds pretty darn good.

Should Duke miss on Patrick, they will go hard for Drew Gordon, another power player.

The Blue Devils are very much in the selecting mode. They are going hard after players that fit their needs. In fact, I would say Duke is recruiting harder than ever.

A name to remember is Leslie McDonald, a player I mentioned in my premium section several months ago. He is 6-3 and very talented.

Monroe is a soft spoken young man with solid grades and willing to be a team player. His sister professed to being a Duke fan when I was interviewing her brother during an AAU event. It is clear to me that Duke is getting closer to championships than some seem to realize;)

I've heard from some people that Duke is going pretty hard after Leslie McDonald.... What can you tell us about Duke's chances, and what kind of player he is. That is if you are allowed to.

watzone
04-09-2007, 10:32 PM
I've heard from some people that Duke is going pretty hard after Leslie McDonald.... What can you tell us about Duke's chances, and what kind of player he is. That is if you are allowed to.

Well, I am not sure what you mean by "if you are allowed to" part. I am not affiliated with the Duke Men's Basketball team in any way. It is early in the process on McDonald, but yes Duke is interested in him.

I have only seen him play one time, so I look forward to seeing him this spring and summer. It is too early to tell what Dukes chances may be, but the interest is mutual.

I have been told that Duke is concentrating on the 07 (PP) and 08 classes first and foremost.

kydevil
04-09-2007, 10:38 PM
Well, I am not sure what you mean by "if you are allowed to" part. I am not affiliated with the Duke Men's Basketball team in any way. It is early in the process on McDonald, but yes Duke is interested in him.

I have only seen him play one time, so I look forward to seeing him this spring and summer. It is too early to tell what Dukes chances may be, but the interest is mutual.

I have been told that Duke is concentrating on the 07 (PP) and 08 classes first and foremost.

Yes I know let me clarify, what i meant was with your premium site I didn't know how much you could tell us! As always I appreciate the info.

watzone
04-09-2007, 10:51 PM
Yes I know let me clarify, what i meant was with your premium site I didn't know how much you could tell us! As always I appreciate the info.

I try to share what I can here, having had and maintaining good relations with DBR. I can always tell the basics and a few hints and some facts after they have run their course in my newsletter, but I do have to save the center cut for subscribers. For instance, I talked to Taylor King this evening, who was named California Mr. Basketball. That is up, as is an article and brief interview on Greg Monroe. I don't mean to seem big headed, but I feel my site is the best place for Patterson information. I work hard to bring Blue Devils accurate information and unique coverage. It is taxing at times, but a joy for the most part. I have been thrilled at the success of the newsletter.

Patrick Yates
04-10-2007, 11:37 AM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/04/09/west.quiz/index.html

This is a SI piece on Donovan (2nd page), where it states that Billy D has had his eye on the League for many years, and why he might be a good coach in the League.

As I noted, BD never said he was staying at FL, he merely said he would not take the KY job. His salary will be in the 2-4 million range (arround 3 imho), or approximately half his worth to the NBA.

If he is seriously considering the NBA, this is the year to take the money and run. His value will never be higher, unless he is miraculously able to threepeat with a group of Freshman and former backups (not bloody likely).

I also find it odd that the VCU coach, a former Billy D assistant, is not being mentioned for any of the rash of openings around the nation. It is almost like he is waiting for a very high profile job at a rich super power to open up.

IMHO (no facts, or even rumors, just convoluted logic) Billy D is going pro with his team (doesn't that make for great press?), only he has not decided which team to go pro to (waiting for the lottery to shake out). The VCU coach knows this, and will be a slam dunk hire for FL. His profile is high after beating Duke and giving Pitt all they wanted. FL gets a Billy D clone in coaching style, who was key in recruiting the 04s, and they will save money.

I think this is a done deal. Otherwise, I cannot imagine why Billy D was not at the game on Sat with K. I know he has NC duties to attend to, but even big money donors understand recruiting. Billy D would have been there with a back to back NC shirt on, and PP might have committed on the spot. Why was he not there?

Gillespie I understand, in fact, all of the other programs that PP is seriously considering are undergoing a coaching change. Why was BD not repping FL. Maybe he sent an assistant, but with K so prominant, that would seem like a slap in the face.

We may have a better shot than I previously thought. BD is white hot right now. If PP were so enamored with FL, he would have committed by now, one thinks. PP may be waiting, Sphinx like, for the next shoe to drop at FL.

Watzone: you indicated that K is focusing on recruiting more. Do you think he is going after more of the 1 and dones because they have to go to college now, whereas before he ignored them? It seems like we are now involved with 2 jr prospects who do not project to be 2+ year players in GM (one and done) and DG (who could really explode his SO year and go, if he doesn't wow his frosh year in a NC title run). Has K changed who he is going to recruit? Do you know? If you can't tell me, I understand, but I would love to hear that K is going after the Studs, who we all know he can get.

Patrick Yates

watzone
04-10-2007, 12:54 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/ian_thomsen/04/09/west.quiz/index.html

This is a SI piece on Donovan (2nd page), where it states that Billy D has had his eye on the League for many years, and why he might be a good coach in the League.

As I noted, BD never said he was staying at FL, he merely said he would not take the KY job. His salary will be in the 2-4 million range (arround 3 imho), or approximately half his worth to the NBA.

If he is seriously considering the NBA, this is the year to take the money and run. His value will never be higher, unless he is miraculously able to threepeat with a group of Freshman and former backups (not bloody likely).

I also find it odd that the VCU coach, a former Billy D assistant, is not being mentioned for any of the rash of openings around the nation. It is almost like he is waiting for a very high profile job at a rich super power to open up.

IMHO (no facts, or even rumors, just convoluted logic) Billy D is going pro with his team (doesn't that make for great press?), only he has not decided which team to go pro to (waiting for the lottery to shake out). The VCU coach knows this, and will be a slam dunk hire for FL. His profile is high after beating Duke and giving Pitt all they wanted. FL gets a Billy D clone in coaching style, who was key in recruiting the 04s, and they will save money.

I think this is a done deal. Otherwise, I cannot imagine why Billy D was not at the game on Sat with K. I know he has NC duties to attend to, but even big money donors understand recruiting. Billy D would have been there with a back to back NC shirt on, and PP might have committed on the spot. Why was he not there?

Gillespie I understand, in fact, all of the other programs that PP is seriously considering are undergoing a coaching change. Why was BD not repping FL. Maybe he sent an assistant, but with K so prominant, that would seem like a slap in the face.

We may have a better shot than I previously thought. BD is white hot right now. If PP were so enamored with FL, he would have committed by now, one thinks. PP may be waiting, Sphinx like, for the next shoe to drop at FL.

Watzone: you indicated that K is focusing on recruiting more. Do you think he is going after more of the 1 and dones because they have to go to college now, whereas before he ignored them? It seems like we are now involved with 2 jr prospects who do not project to be 2+ year players in GM (one and done) and DG (who could really explode his SO year and go, if he doesn't wow his frosh year in a NC title run). Has K changed who he is going to recruit? Do you know? If you can't tell me, I understand, but I would love to hear that K is going after the Studs, who we all know he can get.

Patrick Yates

First off, the Sports Illustrated article is compelling. Billy has flirted with the NBA and whose to say he wouldn't bolt after a rebuilding year or better yet, right now.

I am sure the Pattersons are seeing this too.

On recruiting, I may have minced words. What I mean is that K WILL rebuild his team and quickly. I doubt you will see anything but upward movement in the forseeable future.

Duke really likes Patterson and they hope the feeling is mutual. Duke offers the steadiest situation in the game. Just look at how committed the assistants are!

As for Gordon, he is physically imposing, but has a ways to go before he gis ready for the league. I see him as a three year player. Duke definately is intersted, but PP may be the key to whether they offer him.

Monroe has been offered and while some feel he is one and done, I'd not be surprised if he stays two years in college. Still, the NBA drafts on potential.

No matter what happens with PP, Duke will be okay. They will continue to pick and choose. See the question about Duke culture at my site, it says it all.

I have no idea what Duke recruiting plans are, I just follow prospects when they appear on the radar. Sometimes you simply stumble upon a prospect in an interview or attending AAU events, but the staff cetainly doesn't share infomation on their intent with any person or internet site.

Patrick Yates
04-10-2007, 01:48 PM
My feelings regarding Gordon being a 1 or 2 year player are this:

His skills are not well developed right now, but in 1 or 2 years they could/should be. By the time he gets to college, his shooting could have improved along with passing. He is reportedly a great athlete already.

My feelings regarding his time in college depend on his measurements. I have seen him listed everywhere from 6-8 225 to 6-9 235. If he is closer to the former, then he will spend 2-3 years in college. If he shows up to college as a great athlete at 6-9 235 to 245 a year and half (approx) from now, he is on the NBA's radar. at 6-9 and arround 245-250, with his athleticism, he would be on the NBA's radar as a matter of course.

He needs to be more dominant and assertive it is true. But, if he is on the upper end of his advertised size, playing a key part of a FF run might raise his profile for the NBA. All this depends on where he goes, who comes out, who else develops, etc.

My main point with Gordon is that he is likely to be in the same boat a Deng. He will be good enough that a staff/fanbase cannot be surprised if he is a one or two and done player, despite what he says to the otherwise.

Look at Wright at KS. Everyone was sure he was coming back, he said so and was very believable. But the money and danger (Livingston's injury will scare the bejezus out of every pro level player) are too much. Heck, even McBob is going without being truly ready. Potential and upside are the key, especially with post players. DG might be dripping with both after a year in college at a high profile program (like Duke), again depending on his actual size.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is a great strategy. I personally believe that the NC teams of tomorrow will be built around a stable core of wings and guards with elite level, short term, Posts rotating in and out evey year or 2.

Now, there will be some elite wings and guards (no one would turn down Durant or Gordan) but these skill positions are too vital to fully entrust to frosh, no matter how good. Experience can stablize the new kids. Likewise, a Sheldon would be great for continuity and experience, but it would be nice to throw a Sheldon next to a Brandon Wright.

I feel that in the post, pure athleticism can overcome experience/ball skills in a way that can lead to success. I do not think pure athleticism can compensate at guard or on the wing (to a lesser extent, but not many Durant's out there) and lead to true success. I like where K is taking the team. I think he is really making to move to build teams that can thrive in the long term, where the stable core of wings and guards provide the bulk of the scoring and ball handling by mastering the system and solidifying their shooting and ball handling skills over time, while the stud posts come in and provide instant rebounding, shot-blocking, and garbage baskets. The posts get to show their potential to the pros, while the wings and guards can show that they have the necessary skills to succeed in the pros.

I feel that PP is in this boat as well. I can see him as a 2-4 year player, whereever he goes. In the right situation, wherever that may be, his athleticism is ample. If he can show/develop the skills to go along with it, he might be a candidate for early entry. His size will preclude this imho, but I would not be shocked if he were no longer at Duke in 3 years.

That was why I said that I felt K was recruiting kids in the Jr class not long for the program.

After reading on-line and my new prepstars mag (seriously, could that be more weighted towards UNC commits and targets?), it seems like Duke is looking at players in the Sophmore class who are very similiar to posts that Duke is beleived to be leading for in the current Jr class. K may be prepping to hedge his bets, or bring in insurance, by continuing to recruit successful post players who are short term prospects.

Patrick Yates

CaptACC
04-14-2007, 11:04 PM
Apparently Gillespie and Patterson's mom have been text messaging and he has faxed a letter of intent to Patterson. Gillespie and Patrick will be meeting on Monday.

Here is the site:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/briefingroom

Jumbo
04-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Apparently Gillespie and Patterson's mom have been text messaging and he has faxed a letter of intent to Patterson. Gillespie and Patrick will be meeting on Monday.

Here is the site:

Faxing the letter of intent means very little. Let me know when he signs it.

watzone
04-15-2007, 12:26 AM
Really! Join a reputable site;) Dude! He has six letters of intent laying on his kitchen table.

Lord Ash
04-15-2007, 01:48 AM
Hm, I would think they are just meeting probably for the first time to re-establish Kentucky.

TwoDukeTattoos
04-15-2007, 08:13 AM
Texting his mom and faxing a letter of intent only means that KY is still in the running. It is not anymore indicative of a committment to KY than it is for any other school. At least not yet.

dukeimac
04-15-2007, 09:58 AM
Interesting, one day an article like this about Duke, in Duke's favor, has everyone on this board running for joy, i.e. this type of thing was happening with Lance last year but it was in Duke's favor and not Rutgers.

Then comes an article not in favor of Duke and everyone down plays it like it was just rubbish.

Go figure.

Ask yourself this, if Duke was still active why isn't there anything being reported about them being in contact with him? There was no report on Duke faxing or even giving him an intent form. Reports in the last week or 2 have both Billy's making contact with him but nothing about Duke.

I think that is what they call "writing on the wall" boys.

Lord Ash
04-15-2007, 10:34 AM
I think it is because the Duke position hasn't changed. I am sure the coaches are in contact with him; but that is just same old, same old. For Billy down at Florida and at Kentucky there has been upheaval, or almost upheaval, so there has been more "action" to report on and thus more to make into "news."

Don't worry, it doesn't mean anything yet.

CBDUKE
04-15-2007, 10:34 AM
Coach K was supposed to visit in his home last week. I would call that in contact with him!

fan345678
04-15-2007, 10:50 AM
If a school has offered a kid, the school faxes a letter of intent to the kid's high school shortly before the kid is going to sign. This is much more noticeable in football recruiting, in which there is one signing period, and almost all the signing is done on that day. Even if a kid has verbally committed, the university doesn't send an LOI until just before signing day. If the kid hasn't committed (or even if he has), then all the schools that have offered him send LOIs.

Jumbo
04-15-2007, 10:58 AM
Interesting, one day an article like this about Duke, in Duke's favor, has everyone on this board running for joy, i.e. this type of thing was happening with Lance last year but it was in Duke's favor and not Rutgers.

Then comes an article not in favor of Duke and everyone down plays it like it was just rubbish.

Go figure.

Ask yourself this, if Duke was still active why isn't there anything being reported about them being in contact with him? There was no report on Duke faxing or even giving him an intent form. Reports in the last week or 2 have both Billy's making contact with him but nothing about Duke.

I think that is what they call "writing on the wall" boys.

Why would you post about a process that you clearly don't have nay experience with? This is news because Gillespie is the new coach at Kentucky. "Coach K calls Patterson" or "Billy Donovan calls Patterson" isn't news because THEY'VE BEEN DOING THAT FOR MONTHS! Patterson already has LOIs from Duke and Florida; as such, there's nothing to report. Here is the actualy item, which was somewhat misrepresented by the original poster. There is aboslutely nothing interesting about this "development:"
Gillespie, Patterson make contact
New Kentucky coach Billy Gillespie has been text messaging Patrick Patterson's mother, Tywanna, and even took the step of faxing a letter of intent to the Patterson home, according to the Kentucky Post. Gillespie and assistant coach Jeremy Cox will be visiting the All-American on Monday.
If I read someting called "Coach K, Patterson, make contact," then I'd be concernred. After all, they've been in contact for quite some time. Duke is very much in the mix for Patterson. Will it happen? Quite possibly not. But taking anything from the article linked is just silly.

TwoDukeTattoos
04-15-2007, 11:10 AM
...that K and Donavan have already covered, therefore, Gillespie's efforts are "news".

langdonfan
04-15-2007, 11:47 AM
Apparently, he could just enroll without ever signing. Does the NCAA allow this?

http://www.wtvq.com/midatlantic/tvq/home.apx.-content-articles-TVQ-2007-04-10-0007.html

Olympic Fan
04-15-2007, 12:07 PM
Of course, the NCAA allows it. It's quite common.

The key point many fail to understand is that the NCAA has NOTHING to do with the LOI process. It's administered by the College Commissioners Association.

Nobody has to sign a LOI ... it's just a way for a kid and a school to protect themselves. For a kid like Patterson, who is guaranteed a shot and whatever school he picks, it's a smart decision-- although he probably would want to make a decision in time to participate in his school's summer orientation program.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2007, 12:20 PM
Just to put your mind at rest regarding contact between Coach K and Patterson, it's very simple -- Duke has had the maximum contact with Patterson allowed by NCAA rules.

When Patterson played for the state championship in West Virginia, Coach K was the only prospective coach there for the semifinals and finals. He wasn't allowed contact, but I guarantee Patterson knew he was in the stands watching.

K was one of several coaches that were recruiting Patterson who was there for the two all-star games earlier this month. Again, no contact allowed, but his presence speaks volumes.

K was the only prospective coach in the crowd for the Nike Hoop Summit. There was a story in the Louisville paper about how Duke signees Kyle Singler and Nolan Smith were working on him to come to Duke.

Finally, K will have one more in-home visit with the kid before he makes a decision. Don't know when that's scheduled, but I know it's planned and I trust Patterson to do what he's done so far -- let the process play out.

Now, all this doesn't mean I think Duke is the favorite or the frontrunner to get Patterson. No, I think Florirda is the favorite. But I wouldn't count out Duke or Coach K. He's worked as hard for this kid as for anybody in recent memory.

The news that Patterson may not sign a LOI and may wait and simply enroll late this summer could be very good news for Duke. The biggest hurdle toward getting PP seems to be the bond he's developed with Coach Donovan. The reason he might wait is the fear that Donovan might jump to the NBA.

If that were to happen in June or July, then Duke WOULD be the frontrunner.

langdonfan
04-15-2007, 01:38 PM
Of course, the NCAA allows it. It's quite common.

It makes sense that it would be allowed, but quite common? Does it happen a few times each year or hundreds of times? Interesting. Are there any examples Duke fans might be familiar with? I guess I just forgot about anyone doing it in the past (or it just wasn't publicized when it happened).

AtlDuke72
04-15-2007, 02:31 PM
The recruitment of Patterson has taken on a life of its own. I know he is a good player and that he would make a difference to a lot of programs including Duke's. It is unbelievable the amount of attention he has gotten by simply waiting this long to make his decision. He is listed as a top 25 player, but has gotten more attention than any of the top 5 ranked recruits. Does this seem as strange to others as it does to me?

freedevil
04-15-2007, 02:49 PM
I am with you ATL - this is exactly how expectations get blown out of proportion (see Lance). No matter where he goes, people are going to scrutinize him at every juncture, both oppsing fans and supportings fans (I'm afraid). I think Patterson should not be punished for being patient with a very important decision, hell, most kids dont' know which college they're going to until Aril or May of their senior year. IMO, he is entitled to wait as long as he wants.

AtlDuke72
04-15-2007, 03:07 PM
I completely agree that Patterson should not be criticized for waiting. The coaching merry go round demonstrates that he is probably using good judgment in waiting. I wonder how Michael Beasley feels now about committing to Kansas State? Committing early has some obvious benefits, but it can also blow up in the kid's face. My point in making the post was that everyone should just sit back and let the situation play out.

hondoheel
04-15-2007, 04:21 PM
If Patterson is really waiting to see where the coaching carousel stops (which it already has, BTW) then what does that say about Duke's chances? More likely he's just having a hard time deciding, or is being pushed in one direction by family but pulled by his heart in another.

Karl Beem
04-15-2007, 05:41 PM
If Patterson is really waiting to see where the coaching carousel stops (which it already has, BTW) then what does that say about Duke's chances? More likely he's just having a hard time deciding, or is being pushed in one direction by family but pulled by his heart in another.

Or maybe none of us know our asses from holes in the ground RE: Patterson.

AtlDuke72
04-15-2007, 05:47 PM
[Or maybe none of us know our asses from holes in the ground RE: PattersonQUOTE][/QUOTE]

I think this is what I was REALLY trying to say. Thanks for boiling it down for me!

watzone
04-15-2007, 05:57 PM
As Jumbo stated, it's barely newsworthy. Of course, Gillespie is in touch. What a deceptive thread title. Perhaps we might condense these in the future. If not, we will be finding out what the Patterson's neighbors dog eats by Wednesday;) Be patient! Why? Because you have to be ... that's the way it is. He will not make a decison until at least mid-May and until he does, Duke is in it.

Olympic Fan
04-15-2007, 07:33 PM
As I said, it is quite common for kids not to sign a LOI. Maybe not hundreds each year, but dozens -- especially if you count football.

You say want examples that you might have heard of? Okay,

Last year, none of the Ohio State recruits signed the LOI -- keeping their options free in case Ohio State earned a major penalty from the NCAA. So count Greg Oden, Mike Conley, David Lighty and Dequan Cook.

A little closer to home, you can go back to Herb Sendek's best recruiting class back in 2001. At the time, there was a major question as to whether he'd return to coach the 2001-02 season. As a result, Julius Hodge, Josh Powell, Illian Evtimov and company signed what is know as "an institutional letter" -- which is nothing more than a non-binding agreement that if they come, the school will give them a scholarship. If Sendek had been fired, they would not have come and would not have faced penalties. They never signed a LOI.

It happens a lot in football -- usually to academically borderline kids who don't qualify until after the signing period (while an unqualified player can sign a LOI -- and if the kid is good enough, he signs in the hope that he qualifies -- if he's borderline talent-wise, he usually waits until he qualifies and simply enrolls without signing a LOI).

Foreign recruits rarely sign the LOI -- I know that Georgia Tech's Luke Schenscher never did. Also under LOI, a kid can only sign one LOI in his life-- so if a juco kid signed out of high school and didn't qualify, he can't sign again out of JC and merely enrols at his school of choice.

Few kids these days do what Patterson may be doing -- holding off until mid- or late-summer to make sure the coach he wants his staying. But kids do make late changes for various reasons -- going back to Tom McMillen, who signed with UNC (but because he was underage and his parents wouldn't sign, his LOI was non-binding) and then showedd up for registration at Maryland. Greg Buckner switched from Providence to Clemson after a coaching change. Kris Humphries switched from Duke to Minnesota after K refused to promise his father playing time -- none of those guys signed a LOI with the school they ended up at.

Keep your fingers crossed, Patterson NOT signing will be the next best thing to Patterson signing with Duke.

yancem
04-15-2007, 09:25 PM

It says to me that he wants to play for Donavan but is afraid that he is going to bolt to the NBA. He probably figures he needs to at least wait until the NBA regular season is over or probably until the Heat are out of the playoffs. The other possibility is that he wants to get to know the new coaches at Kentucky and West Virginia so he can figure out if he is interested in playing for them.

hondoheel
04-15-2007, 11:46 PM
and Gillispie recruit DeAndre Jordan (7 foot, 5 star). Now the cat fans are fanning the Donovan to NBA rumors to try and lure Patterson and Jai Lucas from Florida.

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/myfox/pages/Sports/Detail?contentId=2935037&version=2&locale=EN-US&layoutCode=TSTY&pageId=6.1.1

If I was the Gator AD I'd have put a MASSIVE buyout clause in Donovan's new contract for the first year.

JasonEvans
04-16-2007, 08:14 AM
If I was the Gator AD I'd have put a MASSIVE buyout clause in Donovan's new contract for the first year.

Donovan gets what Donovan wants in this contract. No way the Florida AD gets to dictate any terms. If Donovan said no to a buy-out, there would be no buy-out. I know that it is rare for a contract situation to be like this but being a repeat National Champ when Kentucky comes calling is pretty darn rare too.

One more thing-- even if Patteson is waiting to see what Donovan does once the NBA comes calling it does not mean he is decided upon Donovan if Billy D stays at Florida. It seems to me that the Pattersons want to know everything before making a final decision. Jut because they want to know who will be the coach where FOR SURE does not mean they have decided upon one destination if a certain coach is still at that school.

I like Duke's chances. We do not get beat very often when K puts this kind of effort into a kid.

-Jason "all recruits should be smart like Patterson and not sign LOIs-- I am sure the KState kids are wishing they had waited" Evans

CaptACC
04-16-2007, 10:35 AM
Some people know more about these issues then those that challenge people on what they know.

National letters of intents (NLI) are offers that have a 14 day signing requirement. Once the document is offered by an institution the student-athlete and guardian must sign the document within 14 days in order to make it valid. It can be offered once during the early signing period and once during the official signing period, and only once each period. Read the by-laws!

Thus, faxing the letter does mean something! Since the NLI can only be offered once in each signing period I don’t think he has 6 of them on his kitchen table for the fear they may run out before he makes his decision (which would automatically take a school off his list). Kentucky apparently is in the running, either in a strong position (because the clock is running now) or their pushing the envelope.

It means that not every school on this kids list has given him a NLI form. The process usually is the student-athlete or guardian calls the school of choice and asks for the NLI to be sent. Some student-athlete’s call several schools at once to get the NLI from each and then make their decision but there are very few that do this. The student-athlete must sign the form and (any one under 21, not 18) must have a guardian sign the form before 14 days expire to be legal.

vango
04-16-2007, 04:05 PM
One reporter looks at the odds:

http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6691384

mr. synellinden
04-16-2007, 04:10 PM
... Alvy Singer. He doesn't wear glasses, right?

pitino_k_donovan
04-17-2007, 01:20 AM

You'd be a "kook", too... if uk's sean woods' shot was the final bucket in that 1992 game... and you had to watch it every march on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, CBS, Fox South, tons of tv ads... at least 10,000 times. lol

And... the bluegrass state is taking full responsibility for tubby's departure and is welcoming billy g... they aren't laying blame anywere for tubby.

watzone
04-17-2007, 02:42 AM
Well, Kentucky visited last evening. It was the first time PP had ever seen their new coach in person.

Classof06
04-17-2007, 01:55 PM
I hope I'm not asking something that somebody already has, but does anyone know when Coach K will sit down in the Patterson living room and actually give his Duke pitch to the family? Or has he already done it? I know he's been in Huntington at least once to watch Patrick's games, I'm just wondering how extensive his contact has been with the family...

SilkyJ
04-17-2007, 02:33 PM
You'd be a "kook", too... if uk's sean woods' shot was the final bucket in that 1992 game... and you had to watch it every march on ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN Classic, ESPN Deportes, CBS, Fox South, tons of tv ads... at least 10,000 times. lol

And... the bluegrass state is taking full responsibility for tubby's departure and is welcoming billy g... they aren't laying blame anywere for tubby.

I'm not sure if you want to brag about pushing tubby out the door, but OK.

And for the record, We wouldn't be kooks if we had to deal with that. Somehow we all deal with being alumns of the most hated college on the planet, this includes, amongst other things, being ripped hundreds of times a year in the "objective" media for nothing more than having four letters on our diplomas and jerseys.

And only MOST of us are crazy.

ACCBBallFan
04-17-2007, 06:58 PM
I hope I'm not asking something that somebody already has, but does anyone know when Coach K will sit down in the Patterson living room and actually give his Duke pitch to the family? Or has he already done it? I know he's been in Huntington at least once to watch Patrick's games, I'm just wondering how extensive his contact has been with the family...

K's in home visit with Patrick Patterson has been rescheduled from April 13 to now be April 30.

buzz
04-24-2007, 01:52 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6731208

It's looking like Alex legion is going to commit to UK, and he is apparently trying to persuade PP to come to UK. Interesting comment about Patterson's parents.

"I know Patrick and Jai real well as I played with them at the NBA camp. I actually just got off the phone with Patrick a little while ago and was trying to persuade him to look real hard at Kentucky. You know he has a lot of people going after him, so I dont know what he will do. I think his dad likes Duke and his mom likes UK and you never know what he wants to do. But we talked about the pros and cons of each school and he likes that UK is close and they need a big man, so I think he is considering UK hard."

quote source: http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=2293

mgtr
04-24-2007, 02:23 AM
K's in home visit with Patrick Patterson has been rescheduled from April 13 to now be April 30.

Excellent! It is great to be the last salesman to have a shot. Coach K has done this a bunch of times and will know how to handle it. He is Duke's greatest resource.

watzone
04-24-2007, 08:48 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cbk/story/6731208

It's looking like Alex legion is going to commit to UK, and he is apparently trying to persuade PP to come to UK. Interesting comment about Patterson's parents.

"I know Patrick and Jai real well as I played with them at the NBA camp. I actually just got off the phone with Patrick a little while ago and was trying to persuade him to look real hard at Kentucky. You know he has a lot of people going after him, so I dont know what he will do. I think his dad likes Duke and his mom likes UK and you never know what he wants to do. But we talked about the pros and cons of each school and he likes that UK is close and they need a big man, so I think he is considering UK hard."

quote source: http://blog.kentuckysportsradio.com/?p=2293

There are a lot of "I thinks" in there;) Some are saying Legion has not committed.

VaDukie
04-24-2007, 12:11 PM
Great article on sportsline about Patterson about how overhyped spring recruits can become. Since they're the only ones left available, they take all the press attention and are built up to be better than they are. This is how I feel about Patterson as I remain unconvinced he'd be an improvement over Zoubek/Thomas after a summer in the weight room. I personally would rather wait for Monroe.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10139299/2

Kewlswim
04-24-2007, 12:13 PM
Hi,

I would love Patrick Patterson to don the Duke uniform. Should he decide to go to school elsewhere I think we will still have a really good team. I am excited, no matter what happens with PP, about next year's team. I hope he is excited about playing with the team Duke has because he could be part of something special here.

OK, here is my question. Should PP go elsewhere, do we have another player we are looking at? I remember, many moons ago, Coach K wanted a player who decided to go elsewhere and that opened up a scholarship to give to one of my favorite players (really nice person too) David Henderson.

GO DUKE!

CMS2478
04-24-2007, 01:00 PM
Hi,

I would love Patrick Patterson to don the Duke uniform. Should he decide to go to school elsewhere I think we will still have a really good team. I am excited, no matter what happens with PP, about next year's team. I hope he is excited about playing with the team Duke has because he could be part of something special here.

OK, here is my question. Should PP go elsewhere, do we have another player we are looking at? I remember, many moons ago, Coach K wanted a player who decided to go elsewhere and that opened up a scholarship to give to one of my favorite players (really nice person too) David Henderson.

GO DUKE!

This year..........No..........Next Year.............We are trying to get Greg Monroe whether Patterson comes or not and supposedly he is the real deal.

Classof06
04-24-2007, 01:02 PM
Excellent! It is great to be the last salesman to have a shot. Coach K has done this a bunch of times and will know how to handle it. He is Duke's greatest resource.

I'm not saying that we will get Patterson, but when Coach K goes in there and breaks it down, one would have to believe it would be really difficult to reject. The Billys (Donovan and Gillespie) are two great young coaches who will be heard from for years to come.....but they're not Mike.

In the end though, it's not just about Coach K's persuasion, but the fact that Duke really does have that much to offer PP. I know Patrick will enter a great situation no matter where he goes, but all things considered (athletic, academic, and Patrick's future) I don't see why he wouldn't go to Duke. I really don't.

Beyond my apparent bias, in my heart of hearts I truly believe that Duke is the best place for this kid to attend. That being said, there is nobody I'd rather have pitch that idea than Mike Krzyzewski.

I realize Florida is the favorite, but what I'm saying is that if Patterson is as concerned about making the best choice as I think he is, then we should all have a good feeling about this. I know I do...

wilson
04-24-2007, 01:17 PM
I too really enjoyed that article. Another recent example of this phenomenon is our own Lance Thomas. Remember how many people eagerly awaited his decision? Now, while he's certainly a solid player with clear potential, he was not the second coming as a freshman, which many made him out to be.

Kewlswim
04-24-2007, 02:00 PM
This year..........No..........Next Year.............We are trying to get Greg Monroe whether Patterson comes or not and supposedly he is the real deal.

Hi,

That was a quick reply, thank you.

GO DUKE!

Gozza
04-24-2007, 03:02 PM
Drew Gordon, not Monroe, is the main Duke recruit affected by P.P.'s decision.

vango
04-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Great article on sportsline about Patterson about how overhyped spring recruits can become. Since they're the only ones left available, they take all the press attention and are built up to be better than they are. This is how I feel about Patterson as I remain unconvinced he'd be an improvement over Zoubek/Thomas after a summer in the weight room. I personally would rather wait for Monroe.

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/10139299/2

PP and Monroe are not really an "either/or". They could not only co-exist on the team but could on the court at the same time. Different types of players. I agree about the Zoubek/Thomas comment though....

Classof06
04-24-2007, 03:22 PM
The problem with this article is that it reverses motives. PP is doing this because it's the smartest and best route for him. The extra attention is a byproduct. But Parrish says "it's the best marketing ploy ever, and by the way it's smart". By doing this, Parrish inherently ignores the fact that Patterson is worth the attention because of his TALENT. He's not coveted just because he's unsigned. The only newcomers to the process are Gillespie and Huggins, only because they have new jobs, one in the kid's home state.

Obviously if you're the only unsigned kid or one of few, you get more limelight, but it's not like Patterson is the #20 PF in his class and is finally getting attention. The kid has been a blue chip prospect for over a year. In fact, his production dropped when Mayo transferred to Huntington High, so that's less of an incentive to start recruiting him late. Bottom line is that coaches come after you for your skills. Coach K knew McRoberts would be gone a year ago, and thus started recruiting PP then, not now because he's still around...

VaDukie
04-24-2007, 03:30 PM
I agree that Patterson is clearly a good player and was sought after before the spring/Josh left, but I feel we're building him up too much because we're all focused in on him.

As for Monroe/Patterson being an either/or...in a perfect world we get both, but I don't see how Monroe would sign given our how many guy's we'd have inside. His talent would still justify playing time, but not the minute a #1 prospect wants.

Clipsfan
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I think that the article makes a good point in saying that being one of the best players available at this point is a great situation to be in. However, the article ignores the fact that waiting doesn't always work out for the player, especially if there is a situation which makes sense and which they want. Let's say that someone really wants to play for Duke, and Duke is looking for one PG. However, there are 3 prospects which look good (good people, good players), and although Duke is leaning towards one of them they'll be happy with any of the 3. Playing hard to get is just likely to mean that they don't get to go to the school they want to attend.

Assuming that the players are good, there is a decent chance that they'll get a late offer due to NBA departures, but it won't necessarily be at a place which makes sense. Waiting could be incredibly stupid, as the risk to declaring early is a coaching change (slight risk), and the risk to waiting is that the program takes someone else (large risk).

ACCBBallFan
04-24-2007, 05:37 PM
I can see both sides. There are a lot of similarities between the Lance Thomas and the Patrick Patterson recruiting sagas, the ensuing Duke fandom nervousness and the ineveitable halos. The difference I see is that PP has a more developed physique and could have more of an immediate impact in his freshman year, particularly for teams in search of a dominant center. Over four years though, I expect Lance and Patrick will have comparable careers and successes.

Clipsfan
04-24-2007, 05:47 PM
I can see both sides. There are a lot of similarities between the Lance Thomas and the Patrick Patterson recruiting sagas, the ensuing Duke fandom nervousness and the ineveitable halos. The difference I see is that PP has a more developed physique and could have more of an immediate impact in his freshman year, particularly for teams in search of a dominant center. Over four years though, I expect Lance and Patrick will have comparable careers and successes.

I don't know that PP would be a dominant center at any of the majors, given his lack of height. A dominant power forward, possibly, but probably not a dominant center.

ACCBBallFan
04-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Yes, I see your point. perhaps dominant was the wrong choice of words, something along the lines of immediate impact. Now that there is the one year rule, perhaps more college centers will really be centers rather than converted power forwards. Be that as it may, Patrick Patterson has the chance to compete for the starting role on the teams he is being recruited by and have a more immediate impact than Lance Thomas did this past year. Lance has a typical up and down freshman year rather than a higher impact one, but will continue to progress into a solid three or four year player.

Uncle Drew
04-24-2007, 11:26 PM
As much as I would like Patterson to attend Duke simply because we can use his help next year. I have to say I think if we land him it might deter Greg Monroe from inking with Duke. Of course it shouldn't, but prospective players look at playing time and competition for playing time. I've seen Patterson and Monroe play and I have to say if I had my choice I'll suffer through next year without PP if it means Monroe suits up for Duke.

Classof06
04-25-2007, 11:46 AM
I don't know that PP would be a dominant center at any of the majors, given his lack of height. A dominant power forward, possibly, but probably not a dominant center.

Lack of height!? He's 6-8.....as was Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer. 6-8 seemed to work out for them. Whether's he's a PF or C, he'd be our primary post presence. Duke's never had post players much taller than that, that's why so many people were surprised when we went after Zoubek.

I'll also second ACCBBallFan and say that while Duke fans are treating Patterson similar to the way they treated Lance Thomas, Patterson does seem to be more physically mature than Thomas was at this point. Personally, I really didn't get to see Thomas play until he got to Duke, but with all these AA games, I've seen Patterson three times in the last month. IMO, Patterson seems more likely to contribute right away than Thomas and I'm reasonably confident that Patrick would make Duke a substantially better team.

SilkyJ
04-25-2007, 12:23 PM
I agree that Patterson is clearly a good player and was sought after before the spring/Josh left, but I feel we're building him up too much because we're all focused in on him.

We're building him up and focusing in on him because most people do not believe that Lance/Zoubek will be a dominant force inside next year. I've seen people talking about getting PP on this board since the fall.

Lack of height!? He's 6-8.....as was Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer. 6-8 seemed to work out for them. Whether's he's a PF or C, he'd be our primary post presence. Duke's never had post players much taller than that, that's why so many people were surprised when we went after Zoubek.

Boozer was 6'9", actually, but more importantly he weighed 270lbs (260 now). TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY POUNDS. Brand was also 250 and was so skilled offensively that he made up for lack of height. Patterson is listed at 235. Do you realize that is about how big DUNLEAVY is: 6'9" 230 !?

Bottomline: PP will help solidy our frontline and will do wonders to help us but unless zoub steps up we wont have a legit center.

CMS2478
04-25-2007, 12:35 PM
We're building him up and focusing in on him because most people do not believe that Lance/Zoubek will be a dominant force inside next year. I've seen people talking about getting PP on this board since the fall.

Boozer was 6'9", actually, but more importantly he weighed 270lbs (260 now). TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY POUNDS. Brand was also 250 and was so skilled offensively that he made up for lack of height. Patterson is listed at 235. Do you realize that is about how big DUNLEAVY is: 6'9" 230 !?

Bottomline: PP will help solidy our frontline and will do wonders to help us but unless zoub steps up we wont have a legit center.

If we are going to get technical..............If Boozer was listed as 6'9 then he probably was about 6'7 or 6'8. They always add a couple of inches to the players and I haven't quite figured out why. :confused:

watzone
04-25-2007, 12:36 PM
As much as I would like Patterson to attend Duke simply because we can use his help next year. I have to say I think if we land him it might deter Greg Monroe from inking with Duke. Of course it shouldn't, but prospective players look at playing time and competition for playing time. I've seen Patterson and Monroe play and I have to say if I had my choice I'll suffer through next year without PP if it means Monroe suits up for Duke.

Trust me, it will not deter Monroe. Having seen all these players play multiple times, I can tell you they are all different. Each brings certain things to the table.

Monroe - Versatile, gifted, loves Duke.

Zoubek - Needs better footwork to succeed at this level, but I like him and his chances down the road, maybe sooner.

Patterson- Shot blocker, workhorse, dunking machine. Of course is a little over hyped, still, Duke wants him badly and that is good enough for me, not to mention I like his game.

Lance- workhorse like PP, but not nearly as polished down low as PP is. Hyper activity was his problem as a freshman. He will settle down and become a player next season, but he can't guard players that Patterson can.

Drew Gordon - powerful, athletic, but somewhat unpolished. Super potential! Duke is in his final four and he is fine with waiting ... whoops! I have to keep some things for my subscribers;)

For gosh sakes folks, look how hard Coach K has worked for Patterson ... isn't that enough to make you realize a few things? Some of you are missing a lot ... let it play out and you will likely be pleasantly surprised at some point whether PP comes or not. Players are waiting in the wings and perhaps there is more to it than that;) Duke is still in the selecting mode and they are addressing issues of unexpectd departures.

SilkyJ
04-25-2007, 01:24 PM
If we are going to get technical..............If Boozer was listed as 6'9 then he probably was about 6'7 or 6'8. They always add a couple of inches to the players and I haven't quite figured out why. :confused:

I've heard this rumor before and while it may be true some of the time, it is not true in this case. Boozer was and currently islisted at 6'9":

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/profile?statsId=3632

Interestly enough, JJ also came out at closer to 6'5" during his NBA measurements while he was listed at 6'4" his whole career.

Also, you saying that Duke always adds inches isn't "getting technical" unless you provide some evidence...

tropical storm
04-25-2007, 01:36 PM
I don't think Patterson decision would impact Monroe at all. If anything Monroe plays more similarly to a taller Singler although both are so talented, we would certainly play them together. Greg will get plenty of minutes regardless of Patterson's decision.

We will probably get either Gordon or Patterson but not both. Both players are classic PF's with Gordon being slightly taller, bigger and more athletic. Gordon is to me a much more attractive NBA prospect because of the size and athletism. Given that would you:

1. Wait for Gordon knowing that you may lose him and not get anyone, and if you do get him he may be a 2 or 3 year player.

2. Continue to recruit Patterson knowing he is probably a 4 year player and that you will move to Gordon if you miss on Patterson.

I fall into the second camp personally.

ikiru36
04-25-2007, 01:37 PM
Trust me, it will not deter Monroe. Having seen all these players play multiple times, I can tell you they are all different. Each brings certain things to the table.

Monroe - Versatile, gifted, loves Duke.

Zoubek - Needs better footwork to succeed at this level, but I like him and his chances down the road, maybe sooner.

Patterson- Shot blocker, workhorse, dunking machine. Of course is a little over hyped, still, Duke wants him badly and that is good enough for me, not to mention I like his game.

Lance- workhorse like PP, but not nearly as polished down low as PP is. Hyper activity was his problem as a freshman. He will settle down and become a player next season, but he can't guard players that Patterson can.

Drew Gordon - powerful, athletic, but somewhat unpolished. Super potential! Duke is in his final four and he is fine with waiting ... whoops! I have to keep some things for my subscribers;)

For gosh sakes folks, look how hard Coach K has worked for Patterson ... isn't that enough to make you realize a few things? Some of you are missing a lot ... let it play out and you will likely be pleasantly surprised at some point whether PP comes or not. Players are waiting in the wings and perhaps there is more to it than that;) Duke is still in the selecting mode and they are addressing issues of unexpectd departures.

As usual, in pretty much complete agreement with Watzone. (And if I weren't I'd be re-checking my own assumptions/logic, first.)

While people are reasonable to bring up that Patterson is neither 6'10"+, nor particularly bulky, he is very active, aggressive while mature, loves to run on the break, and has more of an imposing shot blocking/interior presence than Thomas did during his senior year of HS. Patterson, while "only" a legit 6'8", is LONG, coordinated, and a good leaper. His standing reach is 9'2" (per Nike Summit measurements (http://www.draftexpress.com/viewarticle.php?a=2002)) which stands out, even among taller players. While Patrick would be a great addition to Duke next year, even if he goes elsewhere, Lance is going to improve this summer (but if Patterson comes, he and Thomas will make each other better, every day in practice!)

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Go Devils!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! GTHCGTH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RepoMan
04-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Duke is . . . addressing issues of unexpectd departures.

Please tell us that you me down the road, not this offseason.

Clipsfan
04-25-2007, 08:06 PM
Lack of height!? He's 6-8.....as was Elton Brand and Carlos Boozer. 6-8 seemed to work out for them.

As was mentioned by another poster, Boozer was 6-9 and a solid 30-40 pounds more than PP. Not only that, but although he played center for us he never was a great center. His skill set is much more focused on facing the basket than playing with his back to it.

As for Brand, he plays MUCH taller than his actual height. He has a very short neck, but very very long arms. His shoulders are at the height of someone who's at least 6'10", and with his wingspan he plays even taller. I haven't heard/seen anything about PP doing that.

watzone
04-25-2007, 08:52 PM
Please tell us that you me down the road, not this offseason.

What I meant is in the way they recruit. Duke is still recovering from Deng, Livingston, even Dunleavy. My understanding is that Bill Brill will cover this in depth. Look for it in the Blue Devil Weekly.

dukestheheat
04-25-2007, 10:04 PM
Speaking of Patterson:

With K focusing on him as a recruit, what do you think K's angle is/would be to get him in the truck for Duke?

I'd be willing to bet that first, he's pushing our academic prowess and the value of time spent in the Gothic Wonderland, but when it comes to Duke's team, I wonder if it'd go something like this:

"Patrick, we'd love to welcome you to Duke, where you'll have the chance to compete right away for a starting spot. However, at Duke you earn what you get, and I'm not going to promise you anything in terms of your playing time right away, but only will tell you that here, you're going to have to come in like everyone else and earn your time, and earn your keep. The level of competition here will make you a much better player. You, in turn, will help to raise the game of the team as a whole, as they will work to raise your game.

And in terms of shots per game, I won't promise you anything there except that the same as it goes for playing time, for getting into the game and taking shots, you're going to have to earn that as well.

So essentially, I would like to ask you to come to Duke, to come and prove to yourself and to Duke that you deserve the time and the shots. That is up to you, and to how hard you want to work to get that done."---K.

what do you think that K has said/will say to PP in terms of Duke/team/time/shots/overall....curious......

dth.

mgtr
04-26-2007, 12:28 AM
I can very much imagine Coach K talking along the lines of the above. I certainly don't see him making promises of PT or shots per game. In fact, I don't see how any coach can make such statements honestly. In fact, if a prospect believes a pitch such as "I guarantee you 20-25 shots per game," I am not at all persuaded that he would be a player for us. If young men at this high level of basketball don't understand how things really work, then they might do better at a school which is less demanding than Duke.

adukefan4life52
04-26-2007, 03:15 AM
I completely agree with what the last 2 people said. I read an article recently that Billy Gillispie met with Patterson and guaranteed him 16 shots or so per game and gave him a plan for his whole freshman year. Patterson seemed very impressed. I hope he picks Duke, but it doesn't seem to be looking good.

RepoMan
04-26-2007, 09:47 AM
What I meant is in the way they recruit. Duke is still recovering from Deng, Livingston, even Dunleavy. My understanding is that Bill Brill will cover this in depth. Look for it in the Blue Devil Weekly.

Thanks for the clarification. I was afraid you were indirectly forecasting another early departure this off-season, and, well, I am not in the mood for more bad news. Thx

wilson
04-26-2007, 10:23 AM
As the DBR fellas said, a good article, but it is rife with spelling/grammatical errors.

And I'm a dork.

lmb
04-26-2007, 12:03 PM
I completely agree with what the last 2 people said. I read an article recently that Billy Gillispie met with Patterson and guaranteed him 16 shots or so per game and gave him a plan for his whole freshman year. Patterson seemed very impressed. I hope he picks Duke, but it doesn't seem to be looking good.
I wouldn't throw in the towel just yet. The same article mentioned that Coach K has his in-home visit with the Patterson's on Monday and his is the last visit of any of the coaches. We've all heard stories of how he makes a great impression on recruits and their families. The stories usually mention that he gives an honest pitch, highlighting the recruit's talents and how they will fit with the team without kissing the guy's butt.

I was encouraged by the fact that Duke is not bombarding him with text messages like the other schools. It sounds like that's wearing on PP's nerves.

So, Duke has already set themselves apart by using a less agressive (i.e. annoying, desperate) approach. Plus, K gets the last word. In the end it may not go their way, but Duke definitely has a good opportunity here.

pamtar
04-26-2007, 12:08 PM
Looking at the article I think Patterson will choose Duke. For one, he knows exactly what he is getting. There have been no coaching or personel changes aside from Josh. Second, K and the crew are not hounding the kid like a bunch of vultures. They've stated their intent and are letting the boy to decide on his own. If someone sent me text messages day and night I would probably want to shoot them.

One could claim that Fla has a similiar situation, however PP seems too smart to pass up the all-around oppurtunities Duke has to offer.

I disagree with the article that he will stay four years - especially at Duke. We'll have a Nat. Champ. by his second year if he comes. Think of that 2008 lineup adding PP and Greg Monroe to the team. Damn.

pamtar
04-26-2007, 12:10 PM
My diminished typing skills have once again left me one talking point behind.

jimsumner
04-26-2007, 01:56 PM
If PP picks Kentucky because he thinks he'll get 16 to 20 FG attempts as a freshman, well, so be it. For the record, J.J. Redick, the highest scorer in ACC history, averaged just under 18 field-goal attempts per game as a senior.

There is not a snowball's chance in Hades that PP gets 16 field-goal-attempts per game next season. Billy Gillespie knows this. Hopefully, so does Patterson.

ACCBBallFan
04-26-2007, 02:07 PM
The whole 16-20 shots thing is disconcerting. Billy Gillespie should not be promising it or inferring it and Patrick should be more concerned with helping his team win and growing his skills than with how many shots he lofts.

MulletMan
04-26-2007, 02:29 PM
The whole 16-20 shots thing is disconcerting. Billy Gillespie should not be promising it or inferring it and Patrick should be more concerned with helping his team win and growing his skills than with how many shots he lofts.

I wonder if Gillespie said "touches", not "shots"? I mean, it is concievable that a post-player might get that many touches each game in the high post, or on the blocks and be looking for a pass. I bet Josh got 20 touches a game last year on the offensive end.

I just can't believe Gillespie was that stupid. No one gets 20 shots a game in college.

mgtr
04-26-2007, 03:58 PM
I expect that Coach K will have answers to all these questions at his fingertips. He is a pretty smart cookie, as he has proven over and over. If anybody can close the deal, he certainly can (assuming the deal is not already over).

watzone
04-27-2007, 10:48 AM
Personally, I think Duke stands a good chance of making their case.

UKBOO
04-27-2007, 02:15 PM
Hi Duke Fans,
Word is coming out that PP has dropped WVa. I guess this isn't that big of news, but it seems to have officially happened. Two schools have another in-home visit this week. Duke, and FL.
The final bit of news is G-Man will be speaking at PP's high school banquet. UK will be in Lucas' home this week as well, which kind of ties in with PP a little. Word is, PP should announce sometime before the banquet. I'm not saying that is a "sign". It's just how it is. PP could very well announce elsewhere and BCG would still be speaking.

Regards,

phaedrus
04-27-2007, 02:53 PM
is our g-man different from your g-man?

SilkyJ
04-27-2007, 03:01 PM

if you are serious, the yes. presumably their g-man is Gillespie. sorry if you were being sarcastic.

Also, the word is that WVA gave out their last scholarship (according to DBR front page this morning) so it makes the point somewhat moot.

Also, in the recent article about PP he basically questions Thuggins character after talking to Beasley (his friend and future KState-er) b/c he committed to those guys and just bounced after one year. So I don't think anyone really thought the dub v had a chance.

But thanks for the update UKBoo. apparently not everyone in lexington still hates us.

UKBOO
04-27-2007, 03:05 PM

Could be different. Ours is Gillespie. It's the new "handle" UK fans have for him. Who is yours?

SilkyJ
04-27-2007, 03:11 PM
mike gminski - center in the late 70s. Jersey is retired. Best shot blocker/rebounder in duke history before Sheld.

UKBOO
04-27-2007, 03:21 PM
SilkyJ:
Hate? Kind of silly for one set of fans to "hate" for no other reason besides a game, isn't it? :)

Thanks for the rest of the story. I read PP's comments on the WVa situation and thought it pretty much did them in. I think, in their case, they were smart to move on. Like I said, I didn't see it as major news, but it is progress. I think progress is what all the fans of Duke, FL, UK and Va are now looking for with this PP situation.

SilkyJ
04-27-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't hate UK or their fans. But its very clear that a lot of UK fans harbor resentment towards Duke for that game. I don't understand it, but its very clear that a lot UK fans, at a minimum, strongly dislike Duke.

UKBOO
04-27-2007, 04:16 PM
I'm not sure what you mean. I don't hate UK or their fans. But its very clear that a lot of UK fans harbor resentment towards Duke for that game. I don't understand it, but its very clear that a lot UK fans, at a minimum, strongly dislike Duke.

I was using the word "game" in a general sense. You could sub in "sport" if you like. That "game" was an instant classic. Anyone that hates over that game is very short minded. I'll grant you that there are many that do. Heck, UK stopped Duke in '98. Is that a reason to hate UK? Please do not get me wrong, I would love for Cats to whip the Blue Devils any time they play. But I would like to think the fans of both could get together for a beer afterwards...

watzone
04-28-2007, 05:38 PM
I was using the word "game" in a general sense. You could sub in "sport" if you like. That "game" was an instant classic. Anyone that hates over that game is very short minded. I'll grant you that there are many that do. Heck, UK stopped Duke in '98. Is that a reason to hate UK? Please do not get me wrong, I would love for Cats to whip the Blue Devils any time they play. But I would like to think the fans of both could get together for a beer afterwards...

Pose that last statement on a Wildcat board and see what kind of response you get. As you can see by the number of hits on this thread, we Dukies keep up with recruiting and are well aware of the Monday in-home.

freedevil
04-28-2007, 05:55 PM
Watzone is the man.

UKBOO
04-29-2007, 10:07 AM
Pose that last statement on a Wildcat board and see what kind of response you get. As you can see by the number of hits on this thread, we Dukies keep up with recruiting and are well aware of the Monday in-home.

Good for you.. I was just trying to be helpful.. Geesh. Maybe there is a reason other fans act cold to you.

freedevil
04-29-2007, 10:15 AM
^ You can't be serious?

mgtr
04-29-2007, 10:20 AM
Good for you.. I was just trying to be helpful.. Geesh. Maybe there is a reason other fans act cold to you.

Whats that all about? Watzone is a knowledgeable and valuable poster. I wish I had half his info.

UKBOO
04-29-2007, 10:53 AM
Whats that all about? Watzone is a knowledgeable and valuable poster. I wish I had half his info.

I inially posted a little recruiting news in this thread. I didn't know if you were up on it or not, as I haven't read all the threads. All I was trying to do was be helpful. Then you buddy here makes that comment that seems as if my posting a little harmless news was insulting his intellegence or something. Maybe I didn't read his post in the proper light, but I do not think so.

freedevil
04-29-2007, 11:29 AM
He was telling you that Wildcats fans would laugh at the suggestion that they don't hate Duke fans.... or that they'd want to go for a drink with Duke fans after a game.

If you want to see how legit Watzone is, why don't you check out his blog?

UKBOO
04-29-2007, 11:57 AM
Of course I know that you will not uauslly catch UK and Duke fans out for a beer after they go head to head. Although, I do have a few friend here that are Duke fans, and we do just that. I do not hold that against them.. ;) It was the balance of the post that seemed unwelcoming. While I know that UK fans certainly would contribute to the "cold" nature between us, it seems some of you are contribute just as much. I really just came here to get a "Duke" perspective on the PP situation. I intend to be as respectful as I possibly can.
I am sure your friend is a very knowlegable and respected person here. I am sure you are lucky to have him. We have several as well.

Look guys, I didn't come here to start anything. All I wanted to do was share perspectives. If that isn't welcomed here, then just say so and I will politely go away.

MChambers
04-29-2007, 12:06 PM
Of course I know that you will not uauslly catch UK and Duke fans out for a beer after they go head to head. Although, I do have a few friend here that are Duke fans, and we do just that. I do not hold that against them.. ;) It was the balance of the post that seemed unwelcoming. While I know that UK fans certainly would contribute to the "cold" nature between us, it seems some of you are contribute just as much. I really just came here to get a "Duke" perspective on the PP situation. I intend to be as respectful as I possibly can.
I am sure your friend is a very knowlegable and respected person here. I am sure you are lucky to have him. We have several as well.

Look guys, I didn't come here to start anything. All I wanted to do was share perspectives. If that isn't welcomed here, then just say so and I will politely go away.

Having another set or two of perspectives here is always appreciated. We have some fans of other schools that frequently post here, and their insights improve the board. So feel free to keep posting.

Lord Ash
04-29-2007, 12:55 PM
Uhm, I don't think Watzone posted anything terribly mean. He just said basically that he thinks most UK fans don't like Duke and that we have been keeping a VERY close eye on Patrick Patterson and obviously hope he comes to Duke. I think you might be reading hostility where there isn't any.

On an aside, Watzone is a well respected poster here and the founder of a pay and free site on Duke basketball and recruiting, and has scored more interviews and inside info then anyone else that I know of. You really should check out his site sometime.

On a personal note, I think UK fans generally hate Duke more then Duke fans hate UK. But maybe that is material for another thread.

UKBOO
04-29-2007, 01:16 PM
Thanks, Ash,
I say we just put it in the rear view mirror and forget about it. No harm no foul..

As for UK fans hating Duke: I think many do and many base it on "the game". I think that is VERY short minded. Let's assume for a second that Lat. missed that shot. UK wins. BUT this game ends up being anticlimactic and I contend that this game then does NOT go down as (close to) the greatest game ever. With the pub and press of that game, both Duke and UK have won much more than just "a game" since from it. UK fans should be glad that shot went down.

As for Duke fans hating UK: I really do not know. As I said, I have a few friends that are Dukies, and we get along, otherwise this is my first real exposure to you in mass.

duketaylor
04-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Please give me a call this week if you would. I'll have limited internet access as I'll be in Roanoke in training. Thanks, CT

mgtr
04-29-2007, 05:46 PM
UKBOO-
I am a Duke fan first and foremost, and when they play UK (not enough, in my view), I root for Duke, period. However, if Duke is not playing, I will definitely watch UK as one of my first few choices. Now, the bad news is, that I like Pitino a lot, and also watch Louisville. It is a shame he operating with such a limited talent base vs. what he had at UK. He does seem to make a lot out of it, however.
In net, I do not hate UK at all -- it is a legendary program.

Bob Green
04-29-2007, 05:55 PM
UKBOO,

I do not hate UK or their fans. In 1978, a co-worker and UK fan brought me to his parent's house in Louisville for a weekend. We had a great time, attended the Kentucy Derby, and watched Affirmed win the first leg of his Triple Crown. Believe me we had many beers together. Of course, all the locals were pulling for the Kentucky horse - Alydar - who came in second place. As a non-Kentucky guy, I won money betting on Affirmed.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

UKBOO
04-29-2007, 08:06 PM
UKBOO-
I am a Duke fan first and foremost, and when they play UK (not enough, in my view), I root for Duke, period. However, if Duke is not playing, I will definitely watch UK as one of my first few choices. Now, the bad news is, that I like Pitino a lot, and also watch Louisville. It is a shame he operating with such a limited talent base vs. what he had at UK. He does seem to make a lot out of it, however.
In net, I do not hate UK at all -- it is a legendary program.

Thanks! That is a very kind thing to say about the Cats. Actually, I like Pitino as well. I wouldn't call him a friend but we have mutual friends and have ended up at dinner together a few times. Of course he knows I am a Cat fan.. :) I think you will see UL in better shape very soon. I would really like to see a series between UK and Duke.

UKBOO
04-29-2007, 08:15 PM
Bob,
Well, it's Derby week once again! I do not "get into it" like I used to. But even still, you can't help getting Derby fevor just a little.. :)
I've been to Japan a few times.. Love the culture there. Even the bell boys blow me a way with the pride in their work.. They are amazing people.

Wander
04-29-2007, 09:02 PM

Apparently though he's a jerk to people who aren't Duke fans.

I think it's cool to have some fans of other teams here UKBoo.

pless55
04-29-2007, 10:22 PM
Duke is my favorite basketball team in the world. But I don't hate Kentucky just because of one game. In fact, Kentucky is a pretty good school. Anybody but Carolina.

freedevil
04-30-2007, 10:16 AM
I don't find Watzone to be a jerk to other fans at all... I think he is pretty well-intentioned with his humor.

SilkyJ
04-30-2007, 11:44 AM
Duke is my favorite basketball team in the world. But I don't hate Kentucky just because of one game. In fact, Kentucky is a pretty good school. Anybody but Carolina.

you must have mistyped, I think you mean pretty dirty school. They are corrupt beyond all comprehension.

watzone
04-30-2007, 01:31 PM
With the in-home looming, I reflect on the process and give you a small sample of recruiting information updates which permeate the premium section of the Blue Devil Nation. I mention this thread which has a very unconcerned 34,000 views too.:)

Patrick Patterson Article on his pending in-home with Duke and a recruiting update (http://myblogdevils.eponym.com/blog)

Chuck, drop me an email.

Wask
04-30-2007, 02:12 PM
Wat...

Do you think Huggins and WVU are out of the running?

With no scholarship available at this point, it seems that way, but a couple of transfers are bound to happen.

Are you hearing WVU is out completely?

Just curious, as it is the in state choice and is still on his list on most sites.

watzone
04-30-2007, 03:43 PM
Wat...

Do you think Huggins and WVU are out of the running?

With no scholarship available at this point, it seems that way, but a couple of transfers are bound to happen.

Are you hearing WVU is out completely?

Just curious, as it is the in state choice and is still on his list on most sites.

Yes. WVU was eliminated just before the schlolarship was offered ... about 12days ago. The source was Mrs. Patterson.

Dukefan4Life
04-30-2007, 04:28 PM
With all the hype about PP and his taking his time, does this mean he intends to stay in school for four years, or will he talent take him to the Leauge after one year? As much as id like to have him on our team id like to see him stick around for a while!

freedevil
04-30-2007, 04:42 PM
I'm not so sure he'll be SO good that he'll be able to take his game to the league after one year without putting himself in serious jeopardy of falling to the 2nd round or going undrafted completely.

I see him as Shelden-esque. Could go after 3, probably will go after 4. Regardless of where he ends up.

ACCBBallFan
04-30-2007, 04:48 PM
I agree.

The Patterson's would not have been so thorough with the process if all they wanted was a one year stop over en route to the NBA.

They appear too sharp to be deluded into making a rash NBA decision.

Wask
04-30-2007, 05:02 PM
Is that published from her, or something she told you?

Just curious, I hadn't read it yet...

thanks!

CDu
04-30-2007, 05:55 PM
and the return last year of Horford and Noah, I'd be hesitant to make statements either way regarding how long a player will stay. Anybody can choose to go early, and anybody can choose to stick around. And people whom you thought coming in might be 4-year guys, while guys you figure would go at the first chance sometimes stick around.

Clipsfan
04-30-2007, 06:07 PM
There is no way to know exactly what he is thinking, but I have seen references in articles to his desire to stay 4 years. Now, these were articles, and as I can't even remember which ones, you have to take it with a grain of salt. The article I'm mainly thinking of definitely had a pro-duke bias, as it compared PP to Shelden.

Classof06
04-30-2007, 06:31 PM
That is impossible to predict given that none of us have even seen him play on the college level. Until we get to see how he fares against competition and how whichever team he lands on does, it's pretty difficult to come up with a meaningful answer.

phaedrus
04-30-2007, 06:51 PM
i don't think deng is a good example. he was the #2 player in his class and had NBA written all over him.

PP is an undersized 4/5 (which is not to say that he won't succeed in the nba someday).