PDA

View Full Version : Cut lands 3-star WR recruit

El_Diablo
09-30-2008, 08:26 AM
http://duke.scout.com/a.z?s=167&p=2&c=795960&ssf=1&RequestedURL=http%3a%2f%2fduke.scout.com%2f2%2f795 960.html

3-star WR Kyle Griswould from GA joins an impressive Blue Devil class! :D

killerleft
09-30-2008, 11:26 AM
Yow! Keep 'em comin', coaches!

CLT Devil
09-30-2008, 11:33 AM
From what I've seen and heard he reminds me of Chris Douglas....who was a lone bright spot during my 4 years at Duke. Not saying he'll be as good as Chris, but he can return kicks, run the ball, play the slot as well as WR. Basically just a playmaker.

Between him and Desmond Scott we have a nice little tandem

-bdbd
09-30-2008, 11:49 AM
Am very excited about what is clearly some great recruiting momentum this year. Noting that we still have a couple 4-stars and a handful of 3-star recruits (as well as others) supposedly with offers extended, I am wondering what are the current NCAA rules re. the max size of an individual recruiting class. I had thought it was 25, but that may not be true anymore. We currently have 24 commits. And Duke is pretty good about having recruits honor their commitments, so unlikely that the 24 figure will drop any/much. Is there a individual-class-limit? I believe there's a overall total limit for all classes of around 85, right?

Any particularly critical needs still remaining? (maybe O-line? D-line?)

-bdbd

cspan37421
09-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Cutcliffe has shown he can win with players recruited from a staff that almost never won football games.

Cutcliffe's hiring brought immediate interest to the Duke program, and his recruiting success is likely to far outpace that of the prior regime - which brought in the players he's winning with.

It's just astonishing what this guy has done thus far. They need to keep him (I'm in TN and am told that some credit Cutcliffe more than Fulmer for TN's success; this year bears it out for sure). And Duke should take out some insurance on that ticker of his, and hope they never need it.

footballfan2
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
You're allowed a total of 85 scholarships and to sign 25 a year. However with that said you can sign more than 25 if the extra are able to be counted in the prior recruiting class. You can do this if you didn't sign 25 in your prior year AND those extra kids enroll early (Spring).

For example, if Duke signed 20 in 2008, they in theory can sign 30 in 2009 if 5 of those kids enroll in the SPRING of 2009 (meaning highschool kids graduate early, December).

I should caution everyone though about Class Rankings and such. I believe on Scout.com Duke is currently ranked #30. Unless we sign several 4-star players our final ranking will likely drop to #40 or so. Rankings are based on stars AND quantity. If you notice most schools have only 10-16 verbals. Duke has 24 or so. So as these schools get more commits, their rankings will improve.

wilko
09-30-2008, 01:22 PM
I should caution everyone though about Class Rankings and such. I believe on Scout.com Duke is currently ranked #30. Unless we sign several 4-star players our final ranking will likely drop to #40 or so. Rankings are based on stars AND quantity. If you notice most schools have only 10-16 verbals. Duke has 24 or so. So as these schools get more commits, their rankings will improve.

Maybe I'm outta my head, but that assumes we stand pat and dont manage to catch bigger fish as we get closer to signing day. Im hopeful we can get more good players interested in Duke with a strong and respectable finish.

pbc2
09-30-2008, 01:54 PM
Any particularly critical needs still remaining? (maybe O-line? D-line?)

-bdbd

I'd have to say the O-line, as I believe they are all (or almost all) seniors? With quality skill players already committed in the 2009 class, we're going to need some linemen to open holes for them!

Olympic Fan
09-30-2008, 02:34 PM
I'd have to say the O-line, as I believe they are all (or almost all) seniors? With quality skill players already committed in the 2009 class, we're going to need some linemen to open holes for them!

Duke's O-Line is indeed dominated by seniors. Both tackles (Goldberg and Roland) are seniors, along with senior OG Rob Schirmann. Starting center Bryan Morgan is a true sophomore, while the other starting guard, Kyle Hill, is a redshirt freshman.

The problem is that OL is a difficult, almost impossible position for a true freshman to play. So with rare exceptions, it's not likely that Cut's latest recruiting class will fill these holes in 2009. Instead, the best hope are backups such as junior tackle Jarrod Holt, sophomore tackle Jeff Cowart, sophomore guard Mitch Lederman and the two Swedish products -- Marcus Lind and Pontus Bonderson. Three of these guys will have to step up next year. Or maybe 2008 recruits Conor Irwin or Brian Moore will be ready to contribute.

The D-Line is in better shape. Cliff Respress and Greg Akinbiyi are senior starters. But Vince Oghobaase, Ayanga Opokowuruk and Kinny Rucker, originally in the same class, redshirted and have another year. Wes Oglesby and Patrick Egboh are sophomores and Charlie Hatcher, who is improving fast, is a redshirt freshman.

To me, the biggest hole we'll have to fill next year will be at linebacker, where Marcus Jones and Michael Tauiliili graduate. So does top backup Charles Robinson. That leaves Vinnie Rey, who is a star. I think the staff has high hopes for freshman Trent Mackey. Sophs Damien Thornton and Abraham Kromah haven't shown a lot yet.

Other than that, the need is for speed, which Cut has landed in abundance.

Marty10
09-30-2008, 02:57 PM
On rivals.com he is listed as a 2 star running back.

dukeberto
09-30-2008, 03:32 PM
and in Cut's mind he is worthy of an offer.... you know who else was worthy of an offer that didn't get many coming out of high school? I'll give you a hint.. he is number 37 wearing Duke Blue..

I trust this staff's eye for talent that can be developed more than I trust a recruiting website that likes to pander to those schools with huge numbers of paying subscribers that want to argue over who got the most 5 stars of their rivals...

davekay1971
09-30-2008, 03:51 PM
Cutcliffe has shown he can win with players recruited from a staff that almost never won football games.

Cutcliffe's hiring brought immediate interest to the Duke program, and his recruiting success is likely to far outpace that of the prior regime - which brought in the players he's winning with.

It's just astonishing what this guy has done thus far. They need to keep him (I'm in TN and am told that some credit Cutcliffe more than Fulmer for TN's success; this year bears it out for sure). And Duke should take out some insurance on that ticker of his, and hope they never need it.

Someone needs to get in Cutcliffe's ear quick, brainwash him, and make sure that he believes Knoxville is the root of all evil. I don't want to see him driving back west along 40 whenever Big Orange gives Fulmer the boot... If he does, I may have to head up 321 and put his car into the wall somewhere around Hickory.

Devilsfan
09-30-2008, 04:03 PM
I noticed what appeared to be three or four fat, grossly overweight players on the sidelines that I assume are back up OL. If he can turn the fat to muscle and increase their speed and agility we might be OK. That's why he and his staff get the big bucks and I don't. I hope I didn't offend anyone in our pc dominated world by my choice of discriptive adjectives.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-30-2008, 05:10 PM
I noticed what appeared to be three or four fat, grossly overweight players on the sidelines that I assume are back up OL. If he can turn the fat to muscle and increase their speed and agility we might be OK. That's why he and his staff get the big bucks and I don't. I hope I didn't offend anyone in our pc dominated world by my choice of discriptive adjectives.

I can assure you that the staff is working on doing just that, and that the players have either bought into doing it and are literally busting their butts to get to their goals, or will decide that the regimen is not for them and will seek playing opportunities elsewhere. Please note: this is NOT running off players, and shouldn't be construed as such.

jimsumner
09-30-2008, 05:16 PM
At Cutcliffe's very first press conference at Duke, right from the very beginning, he came out and said "if you can run, we're going to find you." No qualifiers, no using academics as an excuse, just a flat-out statement of purpose.

And he's doing it. Better conditioning and hard work have increased the speed of many of the returnees and Duke is recruiting even more speed in the upcoming classes. Give this staff a few more years and Duke will be able to run with anybody.

moonpie23
10-01-2008, 08:31 AM
it's all about begatting......

successfull coaches begat better recruitment.

better players begat winning....

winning begats MUCH better players......

much better players begat better recruitment.

whereinthehellami
10-02-2008, 09:43 AM
O-line is tough to recruit. Its hard to get the highly rated guy away from the top schools. Some schools try to take TEs and convert them. VT tried this and has spent the last couple of years trying to recover. Their O-line has been a big reason why they have been one of the worst offenenses in college football the last couple of years.