PDA

View Full Version : 24: About to jump ship..

bluebear
03-27-2007, 08:54 AM
Having been a die-hard fan of the show since season 1 and willing to tolerate a lot of the silliness..it sadens me to see how much the show has slipped this season. It seems like the writers have decided to make a montage of past seasons' plot lines.. Nadia/Milo = Michelle/Tony..Another Presidential capacity battle.. I could probably suffer through recycled plots if they were at least exciting but this has to be the slowest season yet. I do like the Cheney-esque portrayal of the VP though...
Somebody stop me from jumping....

riverside6
03-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Unfortunately, I can't stop you because I'm with you. I'm sticking with it simply because I haven't missed an episode since the show started, and I feel like I gotta stay with it.

snowdenscold
03-27-2007, 10:13 AM
Even though season 4 was over the top silly in terms of its Rube Goldbergness plot - season 5's "twist" pissed me off so much that that was it for me. (I had seen all the seasons)

I was willing to jump back into this season if I heard good things, but this doesn't sound like it...

JasonEvans
03-27-2007, 12:00 PM
Unfortunately, I can't stop you because I'm with you. I'm sticking with it simply because I haven't missed an episode since the show started, and I feel like I gotta stay with it.

This is exactly where I am on the show. I've never missed it so I keep watching, but I am not really enjoying it any more.

It is kinda funny-- my dad just picked up on the show around the middle of last season and is totally addicted now. He watched last night with my wife and I and was held in stunned attention while we kept on rolling our eyes and groaning. When the President announced he was going to try to overthrow the VP, I said sarcastically, "geee, they havn't tried that plot twist before!"

I think those of us who have been longtime fans are put off but the folks who are new to the show (and there are a ton of new viewers the past couple seasons) are still enjoying it. The laziness of the writers is just absurd though.

And has anyone in history ever recovered from an explosion/coma as quickly as President Palmer? Jeeze!!

-Jason "here's a question-- what was the best season of 24? I am sorta partial to the first few hours of season 3-- when they were escaping from the prison" Evans

Cary
03-27-2007, 01:02 PM
Wayne did look pretty good considering he had come back from a major head injury and a medically induced coma in about 30 minutes. I have had surgery and not been able to make a coherent sentence for 6 hours!

riverside6
03-27-2007, 01:49 PM
-Jason "here's a question-- what was the best season of 24? I am sorta partial to the first few hours of season 3-- when they were escaping from the prison" Evans

It's funny, because all the seasons run together for me! If I recall correctly, season two was my favorite.

bluebear
03-27-2007, 01:55 PM
Season 2 was my favorite also..Season 3 was close. They do seem to run together..though I'm starting to think that is the problem with the show...

BlueDiablo
03-27-2007, 02:11 PM
I think those of us who have been longtime fans are put off but the folks who are new to the show (and there are a ton of new viewers the past couple seasons) are still enjoying it. The laziness of the writers is just absurd though.

I started last season, made it to the end (just barely) and then didn't make it past about hour 5 or 6 this year. I've never watched any other seasons. So I'm one new viewer you don't have to worry about.

Tom B.
03-27-2007, 02:26 PM
Wayne did look pretty good considering he had come back from a major head injury and a medically induced coma in about 30 minutes. I have had surgery and not been able to make a coherent sentence for 6 hours!

Heh. When the bomb went off and they wheeled Palmer's bloody and unconscious body into the medical center, I turned to my girlfriend and said, "Let's see.... bomb blast, possible internal injuries, broken bones, head trauma.... that ought to keep him down for a good two or three hours."

I can't decide which requires more suspension of disbelief -- the ability of CTU personnel and assorted bad guys to transport themselves between any two points in the greater L.A. metro area inside of 10 minutes at any time of day, or the Ivory Latta-esque healing capacity frequently displayed by characters who have been shot, stabbed, tortured, blown up and, on more than one occasion, clinically dead for several minutes.

365Duke
03-27-2007, 04:36 PM
the Ivory Latta-esque healing capacity frequently displayed by characters who have been shot, stabbed, tortured, blown up and, on more than one occasion, clincially dead for several minutes.

that is too funny:D

rsvman
03-27-2007, 06:16 PM
The suspension of disbelief is becoming a burden.

Here's a question for you: If the Vice President is such an egomaniacal, psychopathic a#@$*#&, why would Palmer (such a nice, reasonable guy) have chosen him as a running mate?

Why do all the people wanting to inflict damage on the U.S. headquarter themselves just down the street from the CTU? It's always laughable, but last night it was completely over-the-top. The guy and his autistic brother, who are helping to find plans for the bad guys, are found. Then it's basically, "Let's go get 'em! They're only a few blocks away!" Sometimes the show just makes me laugh out loud.

JasonEvans
03-28-2007, 09:17 AM
The suspension of disbelief is becoming a burden.

Here's a question for you: If the Vice President is such an egomaniacal, psychopathic a#@$*#&, why would Palmer (such a nice, reasonable guy) have chosen him as a running mate?

Why do all the people wanting to inflict damage on the U.S. headquarter themselves just down the street from the CTU? It's always laughable, but last night it was completely over-the-top. The guy and his autistic brother, who are helping to find plans for the bad guys, are found. Then it's basically, "Let's go get 'em! They're only a few blocks away!" Sometimes the show just makes me laugh out loud.

I vaguely recall them mentioning, earlier in the year, that the VP was picked to make Wayne look stronger on security issues or something like that. It makes sense that a namby-pamby good-guy like Wayne would need a hard-#!%^ to be his running mate.

You know, the show really works if you just imagine LA as a city that is only about 3 miles wide. Pretend like LA is actually Ames, Iowa and the show is perfect...

....NOT!!

-Jason "in fairness, we did get to see 10 seconds of San Francisco being radiated this year, so not everything is just DC and LA ;) " Evans

Clipsfan
03-29-2007, 08:50 PM
I think anyone would agree that the plots have been rehashed multiple times at this point and that has to be at least partially due to laziness on the part of the writers. What I'm wondering is how bad the repetition is going to get over the next couple of years, given that Sutherland has been signed to at least 2 (3?) more seasons. I've been a long time fan of the show, but I was definitely watching Heroes and Tivoing 24 when Heroes actually had episodes on the air.

BCGroup
03-30-2007, 12:03 PM
Just watched 24, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, only because I read the posts first, and had this fear that the "president" would be Logan resurrected from the dead trying to overthrow the VP. So, while not one of those "WOW, UNBELIEVABLE" episodes, it was an okay way to while away 40 minutes working out.

Clipsfan
03-30-2007, 01:03 PM
Just watched 24, and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised, only because I read the posts first, and had this fear that the "president" would be Logan resurrected from the dead trying to overthrow the VP. So, while not one of those "WOW, UNBELIEVABLE" episodes, it was an okay way to while away 40 minutes working out.

Obviously, I think that the person who wrote the earlier description mean that the VP is trying to overthrow the president, not the other way around. And my thought was very similar to the poster's, "not again..." I even said something along those lines when the VP called for the AG.