PDA

View Full Version : Great Night for Duke in the NBA

freedevil
03-27-2007, 08:26 AM
Boozer with a career-high 41 in a win over the Wizards

Deng with a career-high 38 in a win for the Bulls.

JJ plays 26 minutes and finishes with 12 points as the Magic put the Knicks playoff hopes at issue.

Discuss.

kydevil
03-27-2007, 09:21 AM
Seems like when he gets his minutes he provides... wish Brian Hill would give him minutes!

dukeisawesome
03-27-2007, 09:46 AM
Boozer destroyed my Wizards :(

Good to see him doing well though.

devildownunder
03-27-2007, 09:51 AM
Boozer destroyed my Wizards :(

Good to see him doing well though.

And unless I miss my guess, Arenas is still pounding his head into the wall at his funhouse of an apartment at the thought of losing to a Dukie...a 2001 NC Dukie at that.

Jeez, talk about a guy who needs to get over it.

dukeisawesome
03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
Nah, Arenas is great. Yeah he has that chip-on-his-shoulder mentality to get himself motivated, but he actually gets over losses better than anyone I've ever seen.

TampaDuke
03-27-2007, 10:32 AM
Seems like when he gets his minutes he provides... wish Brian Hill would give him minutes!

I, too, hope Brian Hill continues to give Redick minutes. However, Redick also needs to sieze his opportunities. He's still somewhat tentative and does not fit in with the team as well as many would have hoped, yet. An example is the game last night against the Knicks. He had a decent game, but he also had a golden opportunity to seal the win with about 2 minutes to go. He had three WIDE OPEN three point shots in succession with a chance to put the Magic up 6. He missed all 3 badly. He did stay in the play and actually helped get the rebound on one miss. Unfortunately, the Knicks (who were awful) promptly seized the lead in the next 30 seconds and looked well on their way to winning a crucial game. Fortunately, Jameer Nelson stepped up and hit two 3 pointers back to back to win the game for the Magic. JJ did step up and ice it with two free throws.

I want Redick to succeed as much as anyone. He is consistently getting minutes now more than any other point in the season. The burden's now on him to make it count. I think he'll be fine. He just needs that one big game/shot to bring his confidence all the way back. I thought those three point opportunities last night would be just the opportunity. He'll continue to get minutes so it'll happen eventually.

devildownunder
03-27-2007, 10:57 AM
Nah, Arenas is great. Yeah he has that chip-on-his-shoulder mentality to get himself motivated, but he actually gets over losses better than anyone I've ever seen.

then why was he posting about how he would "drop 80" on the CURRENT duke team earlier this season?

Look, I want to like Gilbert, I really do; but that guy really needs to give it a rest. He totally imploded in the first game against the cavs this year because he was still trying to get over game 6 last year.

feldspar
03-27-2007, 11:01 AM
then why was he posting about how he would "drop 80" on the CURRENT duke team earlier this season?

Look, I want to like Gilbert, I really do; but that guy really needs to give it a rest. He totally imploded in the first game against the cavs this year because he was still trying to get over game 6 last year.

Dude, it was a joke. Even Coach K laughed at it when he was on PTI a couple days after. It's just part of the show that is Gilbert.

throatybeard
03-27-2007, 11:26 AM
Boozer destroyed my Wizards

I'm just impressed that someone actually stuck a possessive determiner in front of the Washington Wizards. I'm not sure I'd ever seen that before. :D

devildownunder
03-27-2007, 11:35 AM
Dude, it was a joke. Even Coach K laughed at it when he was on PTI a couple days after. It's just part of the show that is Gilbert.

That game was played six years ago, in college, and NBA star Arenas still talks about it, bitterly in interviews and posts about it on his Web site. Joke or no joke, Arenas talking about what he'd do against current duke players tells me he has a problem.

And it's consistent with other actions of his. Everything with him is a personal vendetta. USA basketball, the all-star game, battles with lebron. The same story keeps playing out over and over again. It's not healthy.

dukeisawesome
03-27-2007, 12:37 PM
That game was played six years ago, in college, and NBA star Arenas still talks about it, bitterly in interviews and posts about it on his Web site. Joke or no joke, Arenas talking about what he'd do against current duke players tells me he has a problem.

And it's consistent with other actions of his. Everything with him is a personal vendetta. USA basketball, the all-star game, battles with lebron. The same story keeps playing out over and over again. It's not healthy.

The 80 points on Duke had nothing to do with the 2001 championship. He wanted to drop 50+ on Portland, Phoenix, and Duke because those were the coaches of the USA team. He did it against Phoenix, but had some of his worst games against Portland.

His latest blog entry he explains things nicely -> http://www.nba.com/blog/gilbert_arenas.html

Then here comes Portland. Need that 50 against Portland.

I score nine the first game. Big ol’ hoopla about it, “Oh he only scored nine…” this and this…

Then Tuesday, 19. You know, I didn’t come through like I said on that one.

Then I turn on the TV and it’s like, “He should shut his big mouth, and just play basketball…he needs to focus.”

“He’s quirky, he’s crazy.”

Man, calling someone “quirky” or “crazy” is dismissive.

“Because I don’t understand him, he’s ‘crazy.’”

Now that’s crazy.

Since we’re talking about numbers, 95 percent of the things I said I was going to do, I did. The other five percent I get ripped for.

I get killed.

I guess they just don’t understand me.

To understand me is to understand a fan.

To understand a fan is to love the sport you’re watching.

I love the game of basketball.

I am a fan of the game of basketball, and that’s why I enjoy it.

Growing up, it wasn’t about the money. It wasn’t about the cars. It wasn’t about the bling-blau that it is today.

It was simple.

Arenas is the furthest thing from a sore loser. He missed a game-winnner this week, but didn't worry about it at all and still gave his jersey away to the fans like he always does. He's the most fan-friendly player in the league. After losing to the Cavs last year, he was in the Cavs locker room about an hour after the game joking around with them. He definitely doesn't hold any grudges against Duke.

Biscuit King
03-27-2007, 03:00 PM
Personally, I think he's quirky. Maybe even crazy.

LetItBD08
03-27-2007, 03:04 PM

This might be true, but the way Arenas plays defense Duke would drop 81.

JBDuke
03-27-2007, 04:53 PM
Personally, I think he's quirky. Maybe even crazy.

Sombody in the media described Gilbert as "mercurial", which I think is about perfect. I don't think he's crazy, but quirky? Heck, yeah. Eccentric? Yep. He also lacks pretension. No posse for Agent Zero.

devildownunder
03-27-2007, 08:23 PM
Sombody in the media described Gilbert as "mercurial", which I think is about perfect. I don't think he's crazy, but quirky? Heck, yeah. Eccentric? Yep. He also lacks pretension. No posse for Agent Zero.

I'm not privy to his lack of pretense, just his quirks (no, i don't think he's crazy). If this is true, about a refreshing lack of an entourage, than that's really cool and should be applauded.

devildownunder
03-27-2007, 08:25 PM
The 80 points on Duke had nothing to do with the 2001 championship. He wanted to drop 50+ on Portland, Phoenix, and Duke because those were the coaches of the USA team. He did it against Phoenix, but had some of his worst games against Portland.

His latest blog entry he explains things nicely -> http://www.nba.com/blog/gilbert_arenas.html

Arenas is the furthest thing from a sore loser. He missed a game-winnner this week, but didn't worry about it at all and still gave his jersey away to the fans like he always does. He's the most fan-friendly player in the league. After losing to the Cavs last year, he was in the Cavs locker room about an hour after the game joking around with them. He definitely doesn't hold any grudges against Duke.

I sure hope you're right. He doesn't come across that way.

dukemsu
03-27-2007, 08:37 PM
Arenas is an original. I wouldn't say the sport needs a ton more of him, one's probably enough. But he's good to have around.