PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe on the UVA victory, key freshman, Georgia Tech and more

watzone
09-28-2008, 11:18 PM
Here is the majority of today's teleconference with Coach David Cutcliffe -

http://bluedevilnation.net/?p=1075

OZZIE4DUKE
09-28-2008, 11:33 PM

Thanks as always!

bigj4194
09-29-2008, 08:57 AM
Thanks watzone! keep up the good work!

davekay1971
09-29-2008, 02:52 PM
This is going to sound negative - but I mean it in a very positive way.

As the season comes to a close, we're going to be looking back at that Northwestern loss as increasingly important.

That's because I honestly believe that Duke can pull out a couple of upsets in October and November, and we'll be right at the cusp of bowl eligibility by the end of the season.

Who (outside of the Duke locker room) would have imagined that as a possibility back in the spring?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2008, 03:27 PM

As the season comes to a close, we're going to be looking back at that Northwestern loss as increasingly important.

That's because I honestly believe that Duke can pull out a couple of upsets in October and November, and we'll be right at the cusp of bowl eligibility by the end of the season.

Who (outside of the Duke locker room) would have imagined that as a possibility back in the spring?
Ozzie and I could see it coming!

CameronBornAndBred
09-29-2008, 03:27 PM

I agree, and said something similar in a previous thread. In the long run, that loss will be a valuable lesson for the team. One I'm sure they will remember much better than if they had pulled it out in the end.

ehdg
09-29-2008, 03:54 PM
Tks again Mark!!

I totally agree that the Northwestern loss may come back to haunt us later. But it also in the short term I think helped the team and made them concentrate harder for their next games.

cbfx3
09-29-2008, 05:03 PM
umm I picked us for 9 wins (NW was one of them FWIW). I was dead serious with that pick too. it is my feeling that Duke has the element of suprise working for them this year.. nobody really knows how to prepare for them at this point

Kfanarmy
09-29-2008, 05:09 PM
For fans and players, I believe it is better to look at what it is possible to achieve for the rest of the season than to consider potential failure...as far as I'm concerned they can win every game except the one they've lost.

davekay1971
09-29-2008, 05:21 PM
For fans and players, I believe it is better to look at what it is possible to achieve for the rest of the season than to consider potential failure...as far as I'm concerned they can win every game except the one they've lost.

I mentioned that I didn't want my statement about the NW game to come across as negative. I would definitely not look at us ending up bowl-ineligible as a failure. 5 wins would be GREAT for a Duke program that has lost 10 or more games every year for, what, 3 or 4 years now. I think it's incredible, and a huge testament to what Coach Cutcliffe and the team have accomplished already, for us to even be able to think about bowl eligibility.

That being said, I think's it's probably too much to hope that Duke could win every game from here on - our schedule gets tougher, with more away games. I do think (and this is a remarkably cool feeling) that we CAN win each and every game - we certainly have a chance, and I have confidence we'll compete in all of them.

I, for one, plan to soak up the rest of the year with nothing but appreciation for whatever this team accomplishes, whether we finish 10-1 or 3-8.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-29-2008, 05:53 PM
our schedule gets tougher

When the going gets tough, the tough get going. And Coach Cut has seen to it that we are tough!

OldPhiKap
09-29-2008, 08:41 PM

Thanks, Watzone!

killerleft
09-30-2008, 11:45 AM
At the start of the season, I would have been disappointed with only 3 wins. Now I need at least 6 to be pleased. Who knows, maybe in 2 more weeks, 6 won't be enough!

There are a lot of variables to consider. Was it obvious that we gave a great effort and came close in a couple losses? Did we significantly outgain a team or two (like NWestern) and lose? Will we be relatively injury-free?

At this point I'm certainly not conceding we'll lose to anybody! Let's take 'em one week at a time, it's been a blast so far!