PDA

View Full Version : National honors for Tauiliili

jimsumner
09-28-2008, 01:59 PM
Duke senior linebacker Michael Tauiliili has been named the National Defensive Player of the Week by the Walter Camp Football Foundation following his 16-tackle performance in the Blue Devils' 31-3 victory over Virginia on September 27.

Tauiliili, a native of Houston, Texas, carded a career-high 16 tackles against the Cavaliers and had a hand in three of the six turnovers forced by the Duke defense. After recovering a fumble in the second quarter, he intercepted his fourth career pass in the fourth period. Later in the final quarter, Tauiliili caused a fumble that was recovered by teammate Catron Gainey. The Blue Devils limited Virginia to just three points and 304 total yards including just 178 yards over the final three quarters.

The ACC's leading tackler with 46 stops on the year, Tauiliili has reached double figures in the tackle column twice in 2008 and 14 times in his career. In 38 career games, he has been credited for four interceptions, three fumble recoveries and seven caused fumbles while ranking eighth on Duke's all-time tackles chart with 340 career stops.

The Walter Camp Football Foundation also honored Rice's offensive combination of quarterback Chas Clement and wide receiver Jarett Dillard as co-Offensive Players of the Week. Clement threw for 298 yards and five touchdowns while Dillard caught eight passes for 114 yards and four scores in the Owls' 77-20 win over North Texas.

Walter Camp, "The Father of American football," first selected an All-America team in 1889. Camp – a former Yale University athlete and football coach – is also credited with developing play from scrimmage, set plays, the numerical assessment of goals and tries and the restriction of play to eleven men per side. The Walter Camp Football Foundation – a New Haven-based all-volunteer group – was founded in 1967 to perpetuate the ideals of Camp and to continue the tradition of selecting annually an All-America team.

---

wilson
09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
Congrats to Michael! That's just another in a litany of really nice, substantive steps forward for the program (I'd be interested to know when--if ever--Duke last had a NDPOW). These little things will hopefully make observers and, more importantly, recruits, take notice that new, exciting things are afoot in the D-town.

VaDukie
09-28-2008, 02:29 PM
I had a class with him this summer and his enthusiasm for this season was infectious. He was very confident about the team and was not hesitant about saying so. He's certainly backing it up with his play on the field.

johnb
09-29-2008, 08:54 PM
Vegas odds on the NCAA players of the last week in September being from Rice (co-offensive) and Duke?

VAGentleman05
09-29-2008, 11:41 PM
This kid is very good. I can't tell you how sick I got of hearing his name on Saturday!

weezie
09-30-2008, 06:08 PM
Football savants are telling me that he is hardcore and that the Cavs are likely still nursing some bruises.