PDA

View Full Version : What a weekend for the little guy!

bjornolf
09-28-2008, 01:51 PM
What a weekend in college football. So many great upsets:

Navy over Wake
Maryland over Clemson
UNC over Miami
Ole Miss over Florida
Bama spanking UGA at Georgia (it ended up close, but 31-0 at half is bad)
Duke DESTROYING UVA
Oregon State over USC
Michigan over Wisconsin
Houston crushing ECU

I realize that not all of these were THAT surprising. I mean, a #8 knocking off a #3 in the SEC is not a HUGE upset. But I believe it was AT Georgia, which adds to the upset factor big time.

And, yes, Duke was favored over UVA. But let's face it, after the 25 game ACC losing streak and the bad luck we've had in conference the last few years, did anybody OUTSIDE of dark blue nation really think that we were gonna pull it off? And did anybody, even Duke supporters, expect a 28 point drubbing? It really shows how much we've improved that we were even favored against an ACC opponent, no matter how down they are this year. How have we not gotten a helmet sticker yet on College Gameday. That's embarrassing. Come on May, Holtz, where's the love, man? :mad:

UNC may not have been an underdog to Miami, but it's a traditional upset. Maryland over Clemson was definitely an upset. A service academy beating one of the top teams in a BCS conference? Not to mention a service academy that lost to DUKE?! BIG upset. :eek:

But, 3 of the top 4 lost, two of them to non-ranked opponents. That's just insane. I think they said that out of the top 20, 19 teams played this weekend and nine of them lost, and one of the winners beat one of the others. How crazy is that?

Overall, a pretty crazy weekend! Being from a LONG line of USC people, I was obviously a little bummed about the Oregon State game. It seems like every year, USC spanks some tough team, then starts believing their own hype and blows it to a team that doesn't belong on the field with them. Just look at the two OSU games this year, and the Stanford debacle last year. And I think it happened with Oregon State two years ago as well. I'm just so happy about Duke beating UVA though that it doesn't matter that much to me. It also helps that USC was Thursday, so I could say to myself "at least I've got Duke-UVA to look forward to."

Wander
09-28-2008, 02:09 PM
How have we not gotten a helmet sticker yet on College Gameday. That's embarrassing. Come on May, Holtz, where's the love, man? :mad:

Thad and Eron got one the week we beat Navy - I think May was the one who gave it to them.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-28-2008, 02:18 PM
Lou Holtz has commented on the first couple of Saturdays that Duke is for real this year and that people should take the program seriously.

Stay tuned! There's more to come!