PDA

View Full Version : Now the real football season begins...

footballfan2
09-27-2008, 05:40 PM
So far so good. Duke is 3-1. Could have been 4-0, but coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Didn't have a chance to watch the Virginia game. Saw that Virginia had tons of TOs. That's usually from a terrible team or from a great defense/STs. maybe a little of both today. I did note that Duke still has trouble with their running game. i know we have Desmond Scott coming in next year, but the staff should really try to recruit one more stud RB.

So off to georgia tech. Will be a very tough game. i think if Duke can win 2 more games this year... that would be a great success. I would say it helps on recruiting, but Duke seems to be already full with 23 verbal commits. Not too sure how many total they will take, but it's got to be around 25. Currently they are ranked #32 on scout.com in terms of 2009 recruiting class, but i expect that to drop a bit once other schools fill out their commit lists. If Duke can pull in 1-2 more "4-star" recruits that would really improve our class ranking. While recruiting stars aren't everything (especially in football), hopefully Duke's class can remain a top 40 class.

duke98
09-27-2008, 06:03 PM
Great win today to bring us to 3-1, best start since 1994. I haven't gotten to watch any of the games this year, being on the West Coast and sans ESPNU, but it sounds like Cutcliffe has really got this team in gear.

I took a look at the remainder of our schedule and it was a bit of a gut-check. Clearly our cupcake season is over, and it's time to find out what this team is really made of. We need to win three of the following games to be bowl-eligible this year:

GA Tech
Miami
Vandy (#21)
Wake (#16)
NC State
Clemson (#20, though they just lost to MD)
VA Tech
Carolina

Only the Miami, State, and Carolina games are at home. What does everyone think -- can this team pull off three more wins and make it to a bowl game this year? I hear Boise's nice in December.

I think we'll do it by beating Miami, State (win over ECU is a fluke, I'm hoping, and ECU is currently losing to Houston), and finally, in a glorious win for the ages, Carolina in the season finale.

Whatever happens, great job so far for the team and coaches to really turn things around. It's great to see so many people excited about Duke football again.

FireOgilvie
09-27-2008, 06:15 PM
I think Duke is going to run the table... 12-1 (including the bowl win).

Oriole Way
09-27-2008, 06:16 PM
The remaining schedule is pretty brutal. I would be seriously impressed if we can win any more than 2 more games.

-jk
09-27-2008, 06:18 PM

You must be channeling Ozzie.

-jk

RainingThrees
09-27-2008, 06:22 PM
It will be difficult to win even 1 more game. But to win anymore we must have some sort of running game. 84 against a team like virginia just won't cut it in the future.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-27-2008, 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by FireOgilvie View Post

You must be channeling Ozzie.

-jk

I was going to say that! Nice to have a disciple!

Can we win enough games to go to a bowl game this year? Absolutely yes. And if you read the "dissing" article on the DBR about Bomani Jones, if you heard him say what he said, you also heard me say that yes, we are going bowling this year. Where from, you ask? Well

GA Tech
Miami
Vandy (#21)
Wake (#16)
NC State
VA Tech
Carolina

Miami. They just lost to carolina. We should have beaten them last year. That's 1.

We should have beaten Wake each of the last 2 years when they were much better than we were. They're not this year and we're much better. That's 2.

NC State. We have always played them well. And we're better than they are. That's 3.

Carolina. We should have beaten them each of the last two years, just like Wake. And this year, the Bell comes home! That's 4.

Gee, that gives us at least 7 wins, because we'll be in each of the other games as well. 12-1? We can dream, can't we?!?

adam
09-27-2008, 06:35 PM
I hear Boise's nice in December.

You have no idea how much I'm hoping for them to make it to the H-Bowl. Let's go Duke!!! :)

throatybeard
09-27-2008, 06:39 PM
Be aware that 6-6 does not guarantee Duke a bowl berth. We have a tiny fanbase and won't be considered a good traveler compared to anyone else in the conference, except maybe equal to Wake Forest. It would depend on how many ACC teams are bowl-eligible, and it's really too early to speculate about that. To assure a bowl berth, we've got to go 4-4 to finish 7-5.

Bluedog
09-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Be aware that 6-6 does not guarantee Duke a bowl berth. We have a tiny fanbase and won't be considered a good traveler compared to anyone else in the conference, except maybe equal to Wake Forest. It would depend on how many ACC teams are bowl-eligible, and it's really too early to speculate about that. To assure a bowl berth, we've got to go 4-4 to finish 7-5.

Normally true, but they just added the DC bowl (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/07/22/AR2008072202630.html) to take the ninth place ACC team. I find it unlucky we'd by 6-6 and be in 10th place, but I suppose it's possible. As long as we're in the top 9 and have 6 wins, we'll go to a bowl, as I understand it. Northwestern last year was bowl eligible as I recall, and did not go to a bowl. In the ACC, 8 teams were bowl eligible last year.

wolfpackdevil
09-27-2008, 07:40 PM
Great win today to bring us to 3-1, best start since 1994. I haven't gotten to watch any of the games this year, being on the West Coast and sans ESPNU, but it sounds like Cutcliffe has really got this team in gear.

I took a look at the remainder of our schedule and it was a bit of a gut-check. Clearly our cupcake season is over, and it's time to find out what this team is really made of. We need to win three of the following games to be bowl-eligible this year:

GA Tech
Miami
Vandy (#21)
Wake (#16)
NC State
VA Tech
Carolina

Only the Miami, State, and Carolina games are at home. What does everyone think -- can this team pull off three more wins and make it to a bowl game this year? I hear Boise's nice in December.

I think we'll do it by beating Miami, State (win over ECU is a fluke, I'm hoping, and ECU is currently losing to Houston), and finally, in a glorious win for the ages, Carolina in the season finale.

Whatever happens, great job so far for the team and coaches to really turn things around. It's great to see so many people excited about Duke football again.

I think Duke can acommplish a lot the rest of this season

The Blue Devils are going to win these games:

at Georgia Tech Duke is playing the same offense they stopped two weeks ago against Navy, win for Duke 27-21

NC State State is playing well, but not that great. Duke's run defense has been very good so far, and thats what will have to be good to beat the Wolfpack

Carolina A huge game for Duke, but they will be physically and emotionally ready for Carolina, Duke gets a big win

6-6 gets us in a bowl game, a game I will no doubtingly go to

Gunnar Kaufman
09-27-2008, 09:11 PM
at Georgia Tech Duke is playing the same offense they stopped two weeks ago against Navy, win for Duke 27-21

While I agree with you that Duke will find three more wins this season--if not more--winning at Georgia Tech is going to be very tough. Yes, it will be the same offense employed by Navy. But it will be run by vastly superior athletes. In their house.

Tall task, for sure.

Suffice it to say that it would be wonderful to stick it to the coach that snubbed us for the Yellow Jackets...though I think we ended up with a vastly superior coach (and staff) in Cutcliffe...

Acymetric
09-27-2008, 09:27 PM
While I agree with you that Duke will find three more wins this season--if not more--winning at Georgia Tech is going to be very tough. Yes, it will be the same offense employed by Navy. But it will be run by vastly superior athletes. In their house.

Tall task, for sure.

Suffice it to say that it would be wonderful to stick it to the coach that snubbed us for the Yellow Jackets...though I think we ended up with a vastly superior coach (and staff) in Cutcliffe...

I'm a lot more worried about the fact that it is on the road than that they have better athletes. The way I've been looking at it is that Navy really only killed us when we really screwed up and they broke for 70+ yard screen passes or runs for touchdowns. Take out those mistakes and the game wasn't really close. And with those plays the better athletes doesn't help them any because the blown play already gave them a big gain. It might make the option more effective on plays where everything works defensively, but hopefully they won't be as effective since they're still learning. Not an easy win, not a likely win, but definitely a possible win. At least that is my take. Hopefully that made sense.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-27-2008, 09:33 PM
winning at Georgia Tech is going to be very tough.

Tall task, for sure.

It's the tough that makes it great!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-27-2008, 09:35 PM
Every game this season is like the beginning of a new season.

Not only do we have an excellent coach, he brought in a team of accomplished coaches already used to working together.

I'm savoring every win! There will be more!!!!

Gunnar Kaufman
09-27-2008, 09:45 PM
It's the tough that makes it great!

Thanks, Mr. Dugan.

Acymetric, I understand what you're sayin', but the efficacy of Navy's offensive schemes can reasonably be expected to improve when the gears running the machine are bigger, stronger and faster.

Defensively, too, Georgia Tech will be better than Navy.

I believe we can win. I just don't think it's one of the most winnable games remaining on the schedule.

CameronBornAndBred
09-27-2008, 10:01 PM
I'm not predicting our record, but we have proven we can play this game. I think the Northwestern game will prove to be a game that we will appreciate that we did lose. Sometimes the best lessons are the ones that leave the worst memories.
As far as winnable games in our future....I don't see any that we don't have a chance in.
VT in Blacksburg, yeah, that might be ugly..but you never know. But every other game I think we have a really legitimate chance to win. And I'm enjoying checking out my three Wake tickets that are tacked right above my computer...that is gonna be fun, a real chance to beat them on their own turf.

Acymetric
09-27-2008, 10:11 PM
Thanks, Mr. Dugan.

Acymetric, I understand what you're sayin', but the efficacy of Navy's offensive schemes can reasonably be expected to improve when the gears running the machine are bigger, stronger and faster.

Defensively, too, Georgia Tech will be better than Navy.

I believe we can win. I just don't think it's one of the most winnable games remaining on the schedule.

Yeah, I'm definitely not saying even that we should win. I just won't say that we won't or shouldn't win. I'll be doing my part, making the 6 hour drive to ATL, meeting two people and heading over to the game to cheer on our guys. Anyone that has the time to make the trip (and those of you that live there!) be sure to come out and support our guys!

wilson
09-27-2008, 10:21 PM
Yeah, I'm definitely not saying even that we should win. I just won't say that we won't or shouldn't win. I'll be doing my part, making the 6 hour drive to ATL, meeting two people and heading over to the game to cheer on our guys. Anyone that has the time to make the trip (and those of you that live there!) be sure to come out and support our guys!

I'll be there.:D I don't expect us to win, but I do expect us to compete and have some realistic chance in the 2nd half. I don't think it's at all fair to pencil this team in for bowl eligibility at this point. That's not because I don't believe in the program and its current direction; rather, it's because we have come so far and have so much farther yet to go. I'll be pleased with the season on the whole if we can finish 5-7 (I'd be happy with 4-8 if the one more win was against kuralonna). The rest of the schedule looks really brutal to me. Remember, we still have no idea how this team will respond to a road environment, and in the last couple of weeks, the ACC has shown itself to be much better than most folks thought it was after the first week or two.

-bdbd
09-28-2008, 01:24 AM

When it first was announced I felt that the DC Bowl and having a 9th bowl aligned with the ACC could be significant for Duke. (Even if that Bowl is around Dec. 21 and palyed on a BASEBALL field - Nationals Park). Last year the ACC only had 8 eligible, and more than 9 is very rare. So if we can just get to 6 wins, then in all likelihood we are bowl bound. That said, the DC Bowl has a problem for us -- it matches the top Service Academy (probably USNA) against the ACC #9. And they won't want to see us rematch with the boys from the Anapolis Trade School...

I am foreseeing a 5-7 final record, though that could swing easily to 6-6 or 7-5 with a few breaks.

Most likely win:
1. NCSU (Duke will be favored and at home vs State College)
2. Mia. ('canes still down and at Duke)
3. GaTech (winable, but sure wish this one was in Durham - can Cut give them enough confidence to win in front of a hostile crowd at crunch time?)
4. Wake (same comment as GT)
5. Vandy (Vandy surprisingly good this year, and playing in Nashville...)
6. UNC (really could flip them with Wake or Vandy in this ranking, but they just seem to be gaining confidence as season continues)
7. Clemson (Duke away and 10+ underdogs)
8. VPI (Duke away and 10+ underdogs)

I think we beat State College and one of Mia or GT. Beyond that, we'd need a lucky break or simply STEAL one from Wake, Vady or UNC. (BTW, will Duke fans finally outnumber the 'holes fans at Wally Wade this year???)

-BDBD :-)

As for raking our likely wins, from best-chance to worst:

footballfan2
09-28-2008, 11:01 AM
I think all us Duke fans need to be cautious here. We're hearing a lot of hype with Duke and Cutcliffe from the media and such.... but honestly we just finished by far the easiest section of our schedule and I doubt we will be favored to win any of the remaining games. It's quite possible that we don't even win another game. Then what? Will Cutcliffe be considered a bad coach? If I recall Fred Goldsmith had a great 1st season... a team that was senior laden. They won eight games that year with great running (Baldwin) and a pretty decent QB (Spence Fischer). Well Duke did return 18 starters this year. My only advice is to remain cautious.

With that said, I think Duke could pull out 2 more wins. Maybe even more... sometimes when a team gets on a roll they keep winning games. I think Duke's likely wins come from NC State and Clemson. Yes Clemson. For some reason they always play down to their opponent and lose. Right now they have lost two games. I'm sure Bowden will get axed after this season. Overall morale will be low. Good time to strike. NC State beat ECU, but as we're finding out ECU just ran out of gas (lost again this weekend).

Wins against Miami, UNC, Wake, and Georgia Tech are possible, but I just don't see it. I watched the Miami/UNC game (don't get ESPNU to watch Duke), I was really impressed with UNC"s overall talent, speed, and defense. HOWEVER, Miami should have won that game, and was winning the entire game until there was only 40 odd seconds left. As a side note, I think both teams will be scary good in 1-2 years. So my point is expecting wins against both Miami and UNC will be tough. Now Wake just lost to Navy. Wake-up call? Did Wake get caught napping? Georgia Tech's triple option and it being in ATL (Duke's first road game) will be tough on Duke. I recall Duke having a lot of problems with Navy's option during the 1st half.

I just think we fans need proceed with cautious optimism. We can't get down on Cutcliffe even if he doesn't win another game this year (which is a real possibility). We need to give him and his staff at least 2-3 more years.

Jarhead
09-28-2008, 01:23 PM
Remember this. It only takes six wins to be Bowl eligible. We already have three.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Remember this. It only takes six wins to be Bowl eligible. We already have three.

Ever hear about the "Blue Devil Special"? I used to hear stories about the trains which carried the Duke entourage to bowl games about the time I was born. That could be the Carolinian in December.....

devilirium
09-28-2008, 10:04 PM
Carolina had more talent last year and needed a late TD and a missed FG just to go to OT. We have virtually the same teams back from last year, and Carolina has the same problem that we have---they can't run the ball. True, they have all those frisbee catching dogs at wideout, but they have that advantage over Duke for more than a few years now. We're familiar with Brandon Tate, Hakeem Nicks, and Brooks Foster.

I certainly agree that the schedule gets a bit tougher. The one advantage going into next week may be the lack of time off. We were definitely rusty yesterday on offense, but it was quite pleasing that Duke won in Beamer Ball fashion--not to mention the adjustments. Johnson came in with a Navy team two years ago and beat Duke by a TD, but he said that his team looked sluggish coming off a bye week.

I think Tech may be the toughest game that we have the rest of the year. Take them one at a time.

With Cut's recruiting prowess and development, I feel pretty certain that Duke would be more than happy to give him an additional 2-3 years. You mentioned Goldsmith. Fred either didn't like to recruit or wasn't that proficient at it. Good tactician for sure. However, when Heimerdinger and Bohl left, it was OVER for Fred. Bob Trott and Les Koenning, Jr weren't suitable replacements, and additionally the university wasn't willing to invest in the program.

Wander
09-29-2008, 10:04 AM
I just think we fans need proceed with cautious optimism. We can't get down on Cutcliffe even if he doesn't win another game this year (which is a real possibility). We need to give him and his staff at least 2-3 more years.

I like your message of cautious optimism overall, but I think that not winning another game this year is not a realistic possibility at this point. I'd say a record of 4-8 is the realistic worst case scenario.

devilish
09-29-2008, 04:48 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/bowl-talk-begins-for-duke

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-29-2008, 04:59 PM
http://blogs.newsobserver.com/accnow/bowl-talk-begins-for-duke

I don't know which is better: your choice of picture or the caption!