PDA

View Full Version : Paul Newman - 1925-2008

YmoBeThere
09-27-2008, 10:06 AM
I normally don't do this, but it was just released that Paul Newman has passed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_en_ot/obit_newman_6

Indoor66
09-27-2008, 10:15 AM
I normally don't do this, but it was just released that Paul Newman has passed.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080927/ap_en_ot/obit_newman_6

A sad moment for many in my generation. Newman was a giant in films. Talented in his craft and full of life. RIP.

captmojo
09-27-2008, 10:18 AM
May we all aspire to be as benevolent as he was. He will be missed.

Lavabe
09-27-2008, 11:12 AM
Butch Cassidy, the Sting, Fast Eddie Felson... wow.

A wonderful man.

rthomas
09-27-2008, 11:34 AM
My all time favorite: Sometimes a Great Notion

Neuman
Henry Fonda
Michael Sarrazin
Lee Remick

I loved that movie. And book by Ken Kesey.

Windsor
09-27-2008, 12:19 PM
May we all aspire to be as benevolent as he was. He will be missed.

Well said! A great talent and greater man. It is a sad day.

bjornolf
09-27-2008, 12:40 PM
Definitely. And he was a race car driver. I guess he can't win the "greatest living actor" poll now.

EarlJam
09-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Bummer. Sad indeed.

-EJ

weezie
09-27-2008, 03:48 PM
I'll miss those gorgeous blue eyes.

cspan37421
09-27-2008, 06:06 PM
He wasn't my favorite actor, but he was the one I most admired by a long, long way. He had class and integrity in every pore of his body.

Go out and buy some Newman's Own for your salads next week. I like the Newman-Os, too, but they don't soften in milk like the hydrogenated Oreos.

mpj96
09-27-2008, 06:25 PM
thanks for the reminder about Sometimes a Great Notion. That is a fantastic book. I have heard many good things about the movie Sometimes a Great Notion / Never Give an Inch but have never been able to find it on Netflix. Just bought a copy from Amazon.

Paul Newman may be in more great movies than any other actor. He seemed as good a person as he was an acting talent which is of course saying quite a lot. It is sad to hear of his passing.

One of his movies that I particularly like that is not often mentioned is Nobody's Fool. If you like Paul Newman and haven't seen it you really ought to check it out.

dukemomLA
09-27-2008, 07:07 PM
Wept when I heard the news -- although I knew it was coming. Such class. (And yes, I concur...go buy some Newman's Own products. Can you believe the millions and millions of dollars that have gone to charities through his efforts?)

A personal remembrance: When I was in high school in 1965, one of my best friends Sally and her family had their house in Jersey (where I lived) and another in Westport, Connecticut. (.....amazing to me, this poor kid that people could actually have two houses).

Well, that autumn I convinced Sally that we should drive up to Westport, so we could 'trick or treat' at the Joanne Woodward/Paul Newman house. And thus, we did.

We rang the bell, Joanne answered the door. And stared at us. "You're much too old to be trick or treating," she said. "Aren't you in high school?"

She refused to give us any candy (...but truly in a nice way). A moment in time that I've never forgotten.

Then a few years later when I was doing a play called Godspell in NYC, Joanne and Paul came to a performance -- and of course came backstage... so all us youngsters could fall on the floor and grovel at their presence. I mentioned to Woodward that I was the teen-ager in the cheerleader costume who had knocked on her door, and she actually remembered it -- with accuracy and great wit.

Both Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward are class acts. Always will be. RIP

YmoBeThere
09-27-2008, 07:15 PM
That is a wonderful story dukemomLA.

Windsor
09-28-2008, 12:15 PM
Go out and buy some Newman's Own for your salads next week. I like the Newman-Os, too, but they don't soften in milk like the hydrogenated Oreos.

Just came back from the grocery store...and the Newman's Own salad dressing section was almost totally empty....guess you aren't the only one with that thought!

YmoBeThere
09-28-2008, 12:51 PM
I watched The Sting last night with several people who are 10-12 years younger than I. It was their first time seeing it. I didn't tell them he had passed and they hadn't heard. They didn't find out until this morning.

Olympic Fan
09-28-2008, 02:01 PM
What a shame ... not only a great acter with a great body of work, but one of the classiest "stars" in Hollywood history.

I admire all the usual great Newman films, but my personal guilty pleasure is his role as player/coach Reggie Dunlap in "Slap Shot" -- IMHO the funniest sports movie ever made.