PDA

View Full Version : What's on your TIVO?

Exiled_Devil
02-28-2007, 08:23 PM
To avoid hijacking the Heroes' thread anymore, I want to reply to a comment Jason Evans made about who like which shows.

Here are the shows I record and watch regularly:

The Office
How I met your Mother
Family Guy
American Dad
My Name is Earl (go Jason Lee!)
CSI (the real one, not the scab cities)
Battlestar Galactica
Grey's Anatomy
Lost
Heroes

Other shows I like but are not on my TIVO
The Daily Show
Scrubs (just started watching the reruns on Comedy Central)
Good Eats

South Park
Nip/Tuck

Shows I am optimistically waiting the return of:
Entourage
Weeds
Futurama
Arrested Development
Firefly

I know some of those are waaay too optimistic.

I can't tell what demographic I fit...Geeky something or other

I have just realized that I watch too much TV.

Exiled

willywoody
02-28-2007, 08:27 PM
my dvr has 3 shows from acl on high def.

wilco/ bright eyes/jim james /m ward
calexico/shins
raconteurs/cat power

the shins stunk it up but the other performances are great.

my wife regularly tivos grey's anatomy but i have her get rid of them asap.

hc5duke
03-01-2007, 04:31 AM
At my previous residence, it was:
- The Office
- Prison Break
- King of the Hill (new eps)
- South Park (new eps)
- 30 Rock

Right now I would probably add:
- Black Donnelys (the premier was excellent I thought)
- Heroes (saw it for the first time this week)
- Just Shoot Me (is that bad? hmm...)

JBDuke
03-01-2007, 07:27 AM
My DVR is set to record the following:

1. Anything with "Duke" and "basketball" in the description
2. PTI
3. Full Court Press (local sports talk show)
4. Ebert and Roeper
5. Meet the Press
6. How I Met Your Mother

It also records a lot of the following as "suggestions" for me:

Family Guy
Battlestar Galactica
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Frontline
Star Trek (in its various incarnations)

BlueDiablo
03-01-2007, 10:39 AM
Right now, these shows are being regularly recorded and watched:

LOST
The Office
Ugly Betty
Heroes
Veronica Mars
Scrubs
Spaced (BBC America)
Peep Show (BBC America)
Hustle (AMC)
The Sopranos (Bravo - because I never saw them on HBO)
Avatar, The Last Airbender (Nick)
ETA: House. (Though I think this season is weaker than the show was the last two seasons.)

Several shows were on the DVR queue earlier this year, but have been cut, including: The Nine, 24, Jericho.

I just added the Black Donnellys, but I haven't watched it yet and I'm nto sure if I'll stick with it.

Man, I watch too much TV. Good thing I can skip through commercials.

devil84
03-01-2007, 11:50 AM
My DVR has:

Duke Basketball games*
Hometime*
American Idol
To Iraq and Back: Bob Woodruff Reports (to watch because it conflicted with Pat Summit's appearance at the UT game, then we got into the game)
Oprah's Building a Dream (for my daughter, as homework conflicted)
Grey's Anatomy*
Desperate Housewives*
House*
Family Guy* (for my son)
Mythbusters
Last year's Drum Corps International Finals (from September)

(* = series is recorded)

Movies are generally recorded on the desktop computer w/tv tuner card, which is hooked up to the big screen HDTV for easy viewing (we wouldn't dream of archiving to CD!).

- della

ehdg
03-01-2007, 11:51 AM
Hi my name is Erich and I'm a TV Aholic. ;)

On my TIVO or that I regularly TIVO:

Brothers & Sisters
How I met your mother
Class
Prision Break
Studio 60
What about Brian
House
Gilmore Girls
The Unit
Jericho
Criminal Minds
Grey's Anatomy
Men in Tree's
Monk
Psyche
Numbers
Charlie Rose

I think I have a problem watching too much tv. LOL

OZZIE4DUKE
03-01-2007, 11:52 AM
Duke Basketball with Coach K/Football with Coach Roof
The Sports Reporters
Survivor
Lost
The Amazing Race
Heroes
Jericho
NCIS
The Unit
CSI (original)
Boston Legal (Denny Crane!)
Medium
Ghost Whisperer (for my wife)
Bones
Numbers
Desparate Housewives
Las Vegas (for me!)
Gray's Anatomy
Monk

I think I spend too much time watching TV at night...

Exiled_Devil
03-01-2007, 12:17 PM
)
Hustle (AMC)

Awesome show!
It should have been on my" optimistically waiting" list.

I haven't seen it on AMC lately-do you know any news about it?

Exiled

BlueDiablo
03-01-2007, 12:26 PM
Awesome show!
It should have been on my" optimistically waiting" list.

I haven't seen it on AMC lately-do you know any news about it?

Exiled

I'm not sure. I'm not sure how many seasons it ran in England. A typical BBC series is only six episodes, but shows sometimes last several seasons (and sometimes with long waits in between seasons - witness the long-running and excellent Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren).

IMDB claims (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0379632/episodes) that it's gone 3 seasons so far (which seems about right) and that there will be a fourth season to air in 2007 (without air dates). I don't know how much of a delay there is between the show airing in England and it hitting AMC.

It really is a fun show. It's clever and well-acted, even if the whole "nice guy con men" seems like it requires a huge suspension of disbelief.

mr. synellinden
03-01-2007, 03:34 PM
Looking over these lists, I am shocked that I don't see House or Friday Night Lights listed very often, if at all. To me, they are by far the two best shows on television. House is one of the most brilliant characters of all time and the writing is consistently the best on TV. If they could make the supporting characters more 3-D, it could be historically good.

Friday Night Lights is the best thing on TV right now. In fact, it is the best TV drama that I can remember. I know that it doesn't get the ratings, and probably never will due to how real and sometimes depressing it is, but it is the most unique TV show out there in almost every aspect: subject matter, plot, story and character development, writing and most of all, the way it is shot. One reviewer acknowleded this in a review of this week's episode: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2007/02/running_out_of_.html. Every episode of FNL is available on nbc.com and I can't recommend it highly enough. The good thing is that regardless of the ratings, I think it is here to stay because it supposedly has strong support from the top execs at NBC.

Other shows on my DVR are:

1. Lost - more and more disappointing with every week that goes by showing that there is not a clear direction of the story. This week's episode was atrocious

2. How I Met Your Mother - I have no idea why I watch this show every week but I do

3. Survivor - not sold on this season/cast yet but that may be because so much time has been spent with the losing tribe, and we don't know enough about the luxury tribe yet

4. The Office

5. Sports Reporters - My Sunday morning feels empty without it

6. High Stakes Poker - if you play or like poker, there is nothing more entertaining and educational than watching the top pros play cash poker with hundreds of thousands of dollars of their own money. I have learned more about hold 'em poker from watching this show than all the playing I could ever do.

7. American Idol - yes, I'm hooked

Sometimes: Criminal Minds, Shark, Boston Legal

elvis14
03-01-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm not sure I can even remember it all:

Duke basketball games (duh)
Heroes
The Office
Prison Break
American Idol
Medium
Bones
House
One Tree Hill
Survivor
Desperate House wifes
The Shield
Rescue Me
Nip/Tuck
Gray's Anatomy
Brothers & Sisters
Art Mann Presents
Studio 60
Dancing with the Stars
Black Donnelys (just added)
Dora the Explorer
Go Diego Go
Kim Possible
The Wonder Pets

I'll watch Men in Trees, Scrubs, Smallville, Las Vegas (Sam wow) but I don't DVR them.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
I'll watch ... Las Vegas (Sam wow) but I don't DVR them.

I like Sam, but it's Molly Sims that gets me ;)

tbyers11
03-01-2007, 10:05 PM
Shows the wife and I DVR

Heroes
Studio 60 (not anymore I guess. After SportsNight and West Wing would watch anything Sorkin does, although this show has been surprisingly uneven)
Anthony Bourdain:No Reservations (great travelogue focusing on food)
House
Gilmore Girls
Friday Night Lights
The Office
Scrubs
Grey's Anatomy
Monk
Psych (surprisingly good)
Desperate Housewives
Simpsons
Family Guy (going downhill fast)

Favorite Shows are The Office, Scrubs, and to echo the above poster Friday Night Lights. I think Friday Night Lights is the best drama on TV. I've read the book and seen the movie and was initially skeptical about how you could make a series out of the material. I watched it a couple of times and the show is about so much more than just football. The storylines and relationships feel so realistic, especially the interactions between Coach Taylor and his wife. Great writing and great acting. Check it out.

365Duke
03-01-2007, 10:58 PM
With the benefit of a T/W DVR that can record 2 shows at once,downstairs, and a tivo upstairs. So the potential of recording 3 shows in the same time slot is there. Anyhoo here is.

Prison Break
The Unit
Mythbusters
Everybody loves Raymond Re-runs (Did not watch until it was off the air)
American Idol*
All my children*
According to Jim
Deal or No Deal
Lost
Live with Regis and Kelly*
Desperate Housewives*
Friends*
Dancing with the Stars*
Shark Hunters
America's Funniest Videos
Country Fried Home Video's
TVLand's Myth's and Legends
Forensic Files
E's True Hollywood Stories
Orange County Choppers

Keyword recordings: Duke sports, Clint Eastwood

Several manual recordings on the History Channel and Discovery Channel.

*denotes my wifes shows alone, I could not tell you a thing about any of
these

As I am sure is true with many, it is rare that we ever watch live T.V.

365 "DVR/TiVo is possibly the best invention ever" Duke

sorry jason

DevilAlumna
03-02-2007, 01:28 AM
My husband and I have eclectic tastes, and rarely watch live TV. (If I do, its usually Law & Order.) Our Tivo has mainly his shows, including:

AMA Motorbike racing
Mythbusters
American Chopper
Deadly Catch
Dirty Jobs (big Mike Rowe fans...)
Anything with "Duke" in the title
Battlestar Galactica
Family Guy
Aqua Teen Hunger Force
Rocketboom (via Podcast RSS)
This Old House

Our HD DVR picks up:
Heroes
24*
Top Design
Project Runway
Top Chef
Rome
Sopranos
Entourage
Weeds
Big Love
Scrubs
The Office
Studio 60 (snif)
30 rock
Grey's Anatomy
ER
Law & Order SVU (new only)
Smallville
Duke HD Games

* We've only started watching 24 this season; will have to do what we did to catch up with Heroes -- download, then stream to 50" TV via XBOX360 + Vista Media Center.

billybreen
03-02-2007, 09:23 AM
Looking over these lists, I am shocked that I don't see House or Friday Night Lights listed very often, if at all. To me, they are by far the two best shows on television. ...

Friday Night Lights is the best thing on TV right now. In fact, it is the best TV drama that I can remember. I know that it doesn't get the ratings, and probably never will due to how real and sometimes depressing it is, but it is the most unique TV show out there in almost every aspect: subject matter, plot, story and character development, writing and most of all, the way it is shot.

Huge dittos! It is a rare week that the wife and I only watch the show once in a given week -- the episodes are so good that we re-watch them several times. I love that show.

The ratings are getting better week by week, so hopefully we'll have this show around for many seasons.

billybreen
03-02-2007, 09:44 AM
Friday Night Lights
Veronica Mars
Late Night with Conan
The Office
30 Rock
Jericho
Heroes
The Simpsons
Iron Chef America
Anything I can find in 1080i (loving the Tivo Series3)

Haven't made up the mind on the Black Donnelys. I wasn't really won over by the pilot.
Earl fell off of the list this year. Scrubs fell off a few years ago but I'm tempted to add it back this year -- it's been pretty good recently. And of course, as I remind people with no prompting, Lost has been banished since the start of season 2. Worst. Show. Ever. :-)

DankeShane
03-02-2007, 12:59 PM
If you're not tivo-ing Battlestar Galactica, you're missing out on the best show on television right now.

BluBones
03-02-2007, 01:34 PM
Our DVR has been taken over by our two kids, a nine-year-old boy and a five-year-old girl.

Nine-year-old boy
The Simpsons (which isn't nearly as good as it used to be)
The Yankees Network (whatever is on it)
Lots and lots of obscure sports shows in HD which fill up the hard drive

Five-year-old girl
Sponge Bob (which is brilliant)
Dora the Explorer

The Parents
Rome (which isn't nearly as good as Deadwood, The Sopranos, Curb Your Enthusiasm, Weeds or Entourage, but, hey, we're hard up.)
A couple of great movies that were on Turner Classics which we'll never get around to seeing before they're erased by the nine-year-old boy (see obscure sports shows, above).

ajtrublu
03-02-2007, 02:29 PM
Not only am I a raging TVaholic, I compound the severity of this ailment with an affinity for utterly inane (but fun as hell) reality shows.

My DVR series recordings are:

Reality shows:
Amazing Race
Survivor
American Idol
Grease: You're the One That I Want
Project Runway
Top Design
Top Chef

Traditional programming:
Lost
Grey's Anatomy
Brothers & Sisters
How I Met Your Mother
Friday Night Lights (waving to mr. synellinden -- LOVE this show)
Boston Legal
My Name is Earl
Studio 60
ER (yes, I'm the one viewer who still watches it)
The Daily Show (this has to come off though - it's aired a hundred times a day and my DVR can't discern which ones are new)

Mind you, this is not all I watch. It's just all that's programmed in to the DVR as Series Recordings.

Windsor
03-02-2007, 03:49 PM
The regular weekly recordings are:

House
Studio 60
Heros
Lost
NCIS
Grey's Anatomy
CSI
CSI:NY
Survivor (this one is my husband's....I don't 'do' reality tv)

Set to record whenever they show up
NOVA
any Duke sports

and parked on the DVR for repeated viewings
AKC Agility National Championships '06
AKC Agility Invitational '07
MTV Comp'd: Green Day

Its a rare event when a watch a non sports program live these days....so much nicer to zip through the commercials...

Windsor

billybreen
03-02-2007, 04:26 PM
I forgot to mention Rome on mine. I don't have any problem with it, but I guess I'm a sucker for pseudo-historical ultra-violent drama.

Also, I want to throw down a challenge for the geek-lust crown: how many Tivos/DVRs do you have, per capita? We have 3 Tivos (a total of 4 tuners because the S3 has two) for 2 people. I'm hoping that's a record because any more than 2x per capita seems insane. Hell, 2x is insane.

billybreen
03-02-2007, 05:18 PM
Oh wow, I can't believe I forgot Colbert, the Daily Show, and NOVA.

I should have waited till I got home and could check the Tivo before posting :)

Exiled_Devil
03-02-2007, 09:59 PM
I forgot to mention Rome on mine. I don't have any problem with it, but I guess I'm a sucker for pseudo-historical ultra-violent drama.

Also, I want to throw down a challenge for the geek-lust crown: how many Tivos/DVRs do you have, per capita? We have 3 Tivos (a total of 4 tuners because the S3 has two) for 2 people. I'm hoping that's a record because any more than 2x per capita seems insane. Hell, 2x is insane.

Here's my entry:

1 PC DVRm winXP with Beyond TV software
750 GB of storage (~120 hours)
1 tuner, second on in the mail
Networked to my other computers (4 of them) so I can watch the recorded shows from other computers
Connected to the stereo, so I can play my music (on my home office computer) through the home stereo
DVD burner so I can put shows (The Office) in long-term storage.
I can also surf the internet on my 50 inch TV

The coolest (and most geeky) thing about it for me is that I made it myself. From scratch. I received components for Christmas and built the computer over the course of a week. It was a lot of fun, and gave me a lot of cred with the IT guys.

Exiled

OZZIE4DUKE
03-03-2007, 12:55 AM
Here's my entry:

1 PC DVRm winXP with Beyond TV software
750 GB of storage (~120 hours)
1 tuner, second on in the mail
Networked to my other computers (4 of them) so I can watch the recorded shows from other computers
Connected to the stereo, so I can play my music (on my home office computer) through the home stereo
DVD burner so I can put shows (The Office) in long-term storage.
I can also surf the internet on my 50 inch TV

The coolest (and most geeky) thing about it for me is that I made it myself. From scratch. I received components for Christmas and built the computer over the course of a week. It was a lot of fun, and gave me a lot of cred with the IT guys.

Exiled

Very cool indeed, especially when you get the second tuner installed. With Heroes and 24 on at the same time, 2 tuners is a MUST.

Just curious - about how much were the system's components?

34dukegal
03-03-2007, 08:56 AM
I have way too much on my DVR and no where near enough time to watch so it really backs up:

Crossing Jordan
CSI Miami
How I Met Your Mother
Heroes
Law and Order SVU
Veronica Mars
Gilmore Girls
House
Lost
Criminal Minds *Current Fav
CSI
Grey's Anatomy
Psych
The Soup
South Park
Family Guy
Ghost Hunters
Stargate Atlantis
Nip/Tuck
Arrested Development (reruns of course - even though I have the DVDs)

terrih
03-03-2007, 11:07 AM
Here is my list in order of favorites- most favorite at the top (all set to record the series).

ALL Duke Mens games
Grey's Anatomy
Heroes
CSI - the original
Friday Night Lights
NCIS
Lost
The Office
The Unit
ER
Las Vegas
Without a Trace
The Class
Brothers and Sisters
Jericho
One Tree Hill (did I just admit that)
Studio 60 on the.... (canceled now I guess)
The Black Donnellys (first episopde ok, not sure yet)
What About Brian (yep, I watch is, has it been canceled yet?)

*Also record CBS News Sunday Morning

merry
03-03-2007, 10:11 PM
We Tivo all live Duke games individually. We also Tivo the occasional ESPN Classic broadcast and the weekly Inside Duke Basketball show. Other than that the main regulars are:
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
The Simpsons (for the kid)

There are others but they are off and on - old Man from U.N.C.L.E. and A-Team stuff that my husband gets into from time to time.

I don't know when you guys have time to watch all those shows. I don't even keep up with all the Daily Show/Colbert shows.

OZZIE4DUKE
03-03-2007, 10:20 PM
There are others but they are off and on - old Man from U.N.C.L.E.

I'll bet you look for James Scott Farrin's TV ads, too, just so you can see Robert Vaughn... :rolleyes:

Windsor
03-04-2007, 08:10 AM
I don't know when you guys have time to watch all those shows. I don't even keep up with all the Daily Show/Colbert shows.

Believe me sometimes they sit there for a while, particulary during dog show season. Yesterday afternoon (after the women's game) I watched 4 Lost episodes in a row to clear them off.

Since I'm not home most nights (or during the day) I tend to catch up between the time I get home from work (about 4:30) and when I head off to the dog club (around 7). My watching priority is sporting events followed by the episodic series. The other shows I can always catch during the summer when there isn't much else on. It has gotten easier now that my daughter is off at college and it's just my husband and me! All bets are off this week as my daughter and two of her friends are headed here for spirng break (10 minutes from Clearwater Beach + free room + free food = invasion force).

The running joke is that our TV schedule is full...if we add any new shows something else is going to have to go (I don't remember what we dumped to make room for Heroes...I think it was ER)

I would say that I watch much more TV since we got the DVRs. The old video tape method was just such a pain in the butt - on the other hand I only watch things that I really want to see now...the 257 channels and nothing on lament is thing of the past.

Windsor

Exiled_Devil
03-05-2007, 02:22 PM
Way more than a TlVO . Which was an issue with my wife for a couple of months.

Total ~ $800, but I could have cut that by recycling computers I already have.
The big costs were the tuner and the HDD . At the time, it was about $1/ GB and I got a 250 GB drive. My new 500 GB drive cost me $150 last month.

The benefits, to me, are that I pay no ongoing fee (line cable DVR or TIVO) And none changes the functionality except me. No "upgrades" that make it hands to skip commercials or that limit the time I can keep a recording.

Exiled

ghost
03-05-2007, 03:41 PM
"How it's made" Total geek show but it's amazing to see all the steps it takes to make toothpicks! It's on at random times on Science Channel but usually new episodes come on Friday eve... so if I HAD a life, I would TiVO it!
(unfortunately I don't)

JBDuke
03-05-2007, 07:24 PM
Here is my list in order of favorites- most favorite at the top (all set to record the series).

One Tree Hill (did I just admit that)

Just to make you feel a little better, I have it on good authority that this is one of JJ Redick's favorites. (He has a thing for Sophia Bush...) Apparently, he may be making an appearance on the show in an upcoming episode, but I haven't confirmed that.

hurleyfor3
03-05-2007, 07:33 PM
What's on my TiVo? The TV.

ghost
03-05-2007, 07:49 PM
This might have been discussed in the old boards but which is better? TiVo vs. DVR?

I won't even try to compare the two to Exiled's monster.

Grey Devil
03-06-2007, 02:31 AM
I bought a Tivo in 2000 -- just in time for the Championship season of 2000-01. (Still have that game on it, too! When things are tough I just pull up Dunleavy's three 3s in 90 seconds and all is right with the world!)

Tivo is great because you can fine tune your searches to not only get what you want but also not get what you don't want.

Programs that are recorded regularly include:
Basketball and "Duke" (which gets me every show with anything to do with men's and women's b-ball, current or classic)
The Daily Show
The Colbert Report
Lost

And lots of cooking shows like:
Diary of a Foodie
Barefoot Contessa
Negella Feasts
Lydia's Kitchen
America's Test Kitchen
Anything with Juliia Child and/or Jacque Pepin
Absolutely NO Emeril or Rachel Ray! (Showboating frauds...)

Plus movies that star:
Steve McQueen
Cary Grant
Humpbrey Bogart
Spencer Tracy and Katherine Hepburn
or others that come along of interest like Thank You for Smoking, The Big Chill, and Walk the Line (which happen to be on my Tivo right now)

Grey Devil

Windsor
03-06-2007, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=ghost;2950]This might have been discussed in the old boards but which is better? TiVo vs. DVR?

QUOTE]

I got DVR because the local cable company (Brighthouse) had a serious deal going. If you had HD/Digital/broad band/phone as I did they rolled everything into one of their packages and it cost me an extra $2 a month...no additional charge for the hardware or the DVR boxes.

My understanding is that TiVo has more features and flexibility, but since I've never had it I don't miss it. Last summer one of the DVRs had a snit and kept freezing - I dropped it off at the service center picked up a new one and haven't had any trouble with either since then.

I've been really happy with the DVR and haven't heard a compelling reason to switch to TiVO

Windsor

billybreen
03-06-2007, 08:56 PM
I've been a Tivo lover since 2001 or so, and I can't imagine switching to a local DVR, regardless of price. The feature and usability gap is huge.

Comcast will shortly be rolling out DVRs that use Tivo software, so that may well be the best of both worlds. Hopefully they don't screw it up because it would be nice to see other cable outfits go that route.