PDA

View Full Version : Duke's pluses

dukeimac
09-26-2008, 09:23 AM
I want to start a real positive thread.

What does Duke have to offer a recruit?

Coach K - 3 national titles, no active coach has as many. There are a few who might be close behind but no active coach with as many or more.

Coach K - restored pride in USA basketball by winning the Olympics this past year by taking guys who are stars in their own right and getting them to put the team first.

Players who have played for Duke and are widely known today - Johny D, Wojo, Chris Collins, Nate James. I'm going to stop here and let you guys finish the list.

Add some more Duke pluses to this list.

killerleft
09-26-2008, 09:30 AM
Duke is a football school.

SupaDave
09-26-2008, 09:36 AM
Nolan Smith's video says it all. It's all on the wall baby! Oh yeah - the Crazies! Young and old. :)

davekay1971
09-26-2008, 09:52 AM
1) One of the best on-campus basketball atmospheres in the country - by that I'm referring to the incredible environment and history of Cameron Indoor Stadium combined with a wildly enthusiastic and supportive student body and fan base.

2) Great education, for the kids who are talented basketball players but realistic enough to know that the NBA is not a sure thing - which is the usually the case for even highly ranked high school kids.

hurleyfor3
09-26-2008, 10:47 AM
Better weather than anywhere in the Big East (South Flawda aside) or Big Televen.

jimsumner
09-26-2008, 11:10 AM
Ever heard the expression "preaching to the choir?"

BlueintheFace
09-26-2008, 11:54 AM
The most obvious answer- Coach K

MChambers
09-26-2008, 12:06 PM
Best unofficial website and forum!;)

BD80
09-26-2008, 12:33 PM
Abby Waner

footballfan2
09-26-2008, 01:40 PM
Pluses:

1) Tradition - It might not mean much to a casual person, but for someone who plays the sport tradition means a lot. To be part of something larger than oneself.

2) Cameron - Yes it's small... but it's loud.

3) Education - A Duke degree can open a lot of doors

4) ACC - you would be joining a premiere basketball conference

5) ESPN - love then or hate then... they show a lot of Duke games

6) UNC - Yes we hate them, but they are the "yang" to our "ying". With them we have one of the storied college rivals in basketball

7) Coach K - I'm kinda on the border with this one. 20 years ago Coach K was an obvious, obvious example. But honestly, I'm not too sure anymore. Yes he did win the gold medal... but I'm not too sure how many highschool basketball players really care at their age. He's getting up there in age. many kids are able to relate to "younger" coaches. but overall Coach K is a plus for Duke. I think Coach K is a huge plus for the parents... not too sure about the actual recruit though.

Negatives:

1) NBA - Sorry, but Duke just doesn't have a good rep in producing NBA players. That might not be true anymore (Brand, maggette, Battier, deng, etc), but Duke has the rep.

2) Duke University - great education but a reputation of rich New Jersey kids. I'm not too sure Duke is considered a "cool" school to goto.

jimsumner
09-26-2008, 01:55 PM
"NBA - Sorry, but Duke just doesn't have a good rep in producing NBA players. That might not be true anymore (Brand, maggette, Battier, deng, etc), but Duke has the rep."

May not be true anymore? Ya think? Grant Hill, Elton Brand, Corey Maggette, Shane Battier, Carlos Boozer, Mike Dunleavy, Luol Deng, Chris Duhon, exactly how many top-level NBA players does Duke have to produce? What other school is turning out more NBA players?

And yes, I'm pretty sure Mike Krzyzewski is still an asset.

mo.st.dukie
09-26-2008, 01:56 PM
Pluses:

Coach K - I'm kinda on the border with this one. 20 years ago Coach K was an obvious, obvious example. But honestly, I'm not too sure anymore. Yes he did win the gold medal... but I'm not too sure how many highschool basketball players really care at their age. He's getting up there in age. many kids are able to relate to "younger" coaches. but overall Coach K is a plus for Duke. I think Coach K is a huge plus for the parents... not too sure about the actual recruit though.

Yeah, the top players just don't want to play for Coach K anymore. He can't relate to players like Gerald Henderson, Nolan Smith, Kyle Singler, Jon Scheyer, Elliot Williams, Lance Thomas, Tyler Thornton, Andre Dawkins, Josh Hairston, Mason Plumlee, etc....High school players don't know anything about college basketball history and they certainly don't care that Coach K coached their NBA idols in some silly international competition. Face it, Coach K's done, he's taking the route of Joe Paterno and Bobby Bowden. He just recruit the elite players anymore.

SupaDave
09-26-2008, 02:01 PM
Pluses please!

As a Durham native, I would take every recruit to Italian Pizzaria and they would be hooked for life!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-26-2008, 03:58 PM
Pluses:

1) Tradition - It might not mean much to a casual person, but for someone who plays the sport tradition means a lot. To be part of something larger than oneself.

6) UNC - Yes we hate them, but they are the "yang" to our "ying". With them we have one of the storied college rivals in basketball

7) Coach K - I'm kinda on the border with this one. 20 years ago Coach K was an obvious, obvious example. But honestly, I'm not too sure anymore. Yes he did win the gold medal... but I'm not too sure how many highschool basketball players really care at their age. He's getting up there in age. many kids are able to relate to "younger" coaches. but overall Coach K is a plus for Duke. I think Coach K is a huge plus for the parents... not too sure about the actual recruit though.

Negatives:

1) NBA - Sorry, but Duke just doesn't have a good rep in producing NBA players. That might not be true anymore (Brand, maggette, Battier, deng, etc), but Duke has the rep.

2) Duke University - great education but a reputation of rich New Jersey kids. I'm not too sure Duke is considered a "cool" school to goto.

Is that why record numbers of applications come from kids all over the country each year?

devildeac
09-26-2008, 04:42 PM
Pluses:

Negatives:

1. What state has the highest % (or #) of students at Duke on a regular basis over the last 5-10 years or so? (hint: it's not NJ)
2. What states are in the top 10 on a fairly regular basis for # or %age of students at Duke over the last 5- 10 years?

I can answer #1 easily and I think I can name at least 5 of the top 10 states pretty readily, too.

Diddy
09-26-2008, 05:52 PM
The poster who listed the negatives, and those aren't the only 2, was only saying what the perception of Duke is. And he is 100 percent correct. That does not mean that those negatives are true and accurate, merely that those two items are percieved to be negatives.

I am sorry, but the reactions to that comment suggest that Duke is perfect and has no flaws. Is that true? Is Duke perfect and flawless?

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-26-2008, 06:04 PM
The poster who listed the negatives, and those aren't the only 2, was only saying what the perception of Duke is. And he is 100 percent correct. That does not mean that those negatives are true and accurate, merely that those two items are percieved to be negatives.

I am sorry, but the reactions to that comment suggest that Duke is perfect and has no flaws. Is that true? Is Duke perfect and flawless?

Duke is not perfect nor is any other institution of higher learning. I think the responses to the comments were simply that. Obviously, different people have different perceptions.

jimsumner
09-26-2008, 06:41 PM
"The poster who listed the negatives, and those aren't the only 2, was only saying what the perception of Duke is. And he is 100 percent correct"

And we know this how? Because the OP says so?

dukeimac
09-26-2008, 07:51 PM

What part of "pluses" means negatives?

I want the thread to be about the good things Duke has to offer.

Or is your cup half empty?

altitech
09-26-2008, 09:01 PM
You know, some of you may laugh at me when I say education is a real attraction. I mean hey... what do pro wanna-be's want with a real education.

Only the smart ones prepare their life after they burn out in the Pro's. Whats the remote chance of a few million for a one time deal compared to an entire life of a skilled worker. I read an article somewhere that the average skilled worker born today is worth 6-9 million in lifetime effort. Athletes can be optimistic but it would be prudent to be realistic.

Edouble
09-27-2008, 01:43 AM
What part of "pluses" means negatives?

I want the thread to be about the good things Duke has to offer.

Or is your cup half empty?

I know that you asked for a positive thread, but we all have free will, and you can't really control how the posts turn out.

When we just write a bunch of our favorite things about Duke, it's like Jim said, we're all just preachin' to the choir. I'm glad footballfan 2 wrote what he did. Look, Duke is the best, but it's interesting to note how a recruit might perceive us. I'm sure the coaching staff spends time investigating how we're perceived by the rest of the world.

Duke is probably considered a cool school to go to if you're in an upper SES prep school, but probably not so much if you're in an inner city high school where alot of good basketball recruits come from. I personally find it hilarious that Duke is considered the elitist, snobby, rich kid's private school while down the street, UNC is considered the "people's" school. The "people" I met at UNC were far more stuck up than anyone I knew at Duke. I personally think that the gas station attendants and dishwashers that I see wearing UNC hats would feel far more accepted if they spent time on the Duke campus with its diverse student body, than if they hung out over with the UNC undergrads at the balcony diving parties. A few friends of mine who attended UNC were shocked at how friendly and open the campus was when they came to visit me at Duke. Admittedly this is a small sample size, but having spent four years in the friendly confines of the Gothic Wonderland (like many on this board), I know that Duke's reputation as a snobby private school is not justified. This reputation is mainly based on jealous projections from people have never set foot on Duke's campus, but know that they did not have the academic accomplishments needed to gain admission to the school. I did, and to this day I thank my stars that I got in, and I am humbled and grateful to have attended. But justified or not, because of Duke's prestige, I don't think that it is considered a "cool" school to go, especially if you are from a less than privledged background.

I personally think that the Duke NBA player reputation is pretty much finished. I don't think that one gets mentioned as much anymore.

Donovan is to Coach K what Coach K once was to Deano. Alot of players like a younger coach. Of course players can relate to Coach K, but you always hear recruits saying that they chose a younger coach b/c they can relate to him. That's one reason why having a guy like Nate James on staff is a great idea.

dukemomLA
09-27-2008, 03:16 AM
For the true student-athletes, the ones with the IQs, GPAs, SATs to thrive on the Duke campus, there is NO other place for them.

The beautiful campus, the Cameron Crazies, the excitement of playing in the ACC and being on TV almost every week. There is no rival.

Is Coach K getting older? Duh.... but he's brought along Collins and Wojo and Nate the beast, etc. And K again has no rival to teaching the game of life along with the game of BB.

As a Dukemom, if there are any recruits reading this website, you would be foolish beyond belief to not accept an offer from Duke. There is life beyond the NBA, there is life beyond BB abroad. Your future life forever will depend on your choice of schools. And none can rival what is offered to you at Duke.

BD80
09-27-2008, 08:33 AM
OK, not "our" Jason Williams:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-williamsretirement&prov=ap&type=lgns

But at least now, if JWill can get back to the league, he can be "the" Jason Williams.

dukeimac
09-27-2008, 09:52 AM
It is just sad!

Many recruits like to go to websites like this to feel the love. To see what, what is supposed to be some of there own cutting down Duke.

All I wanted to do was send out some good vibes about Duke and what do we get, people like Edouble, supposedly a Duke fan, and others pointing out bad things about the school.

But then again, some people aren't happy UNLESS the are painting everything bleak. For some that is enjoyment, that makes them happy.

Try to keep this a positive thread. Many KB and others are watching.

DukeDude
09-27-2008, 10:17 AM
The best basketball conference.

A great education for those able to take advantage of it.

The best home court in sports.

NC BBQ.

Every game shown on national TV on the Duke television network (ESPN).

And don't underestimate the value of having really smart friends.

Edouble
09-27-2008, 11:43 AM
if there are any recruits reading this website, you would be foolish beyond belief to not accept an offer from Duke.

It's attitude like this that turns non-Duke fans into anti-Duke fans, and it really does not help out at all towards ending the perceived arrogance surrounding Duke that I spoke about in an earlier post. While Duke is great, there are other schools out there that can offer an academic and cultural experience close to, if not equally as good as, Duke's. Schools like Stanford, Michigan, UVA, and Georgetown are all excellent academic institutions that have had Final Four caliber years. A basketball recruit such as Greg Monroe who chose GTown over Duke, in my opinion, is not "foolish beyond belief."

And dukeimac, you should read my post again. I did not say, or point out anything bad about the school. I noted how I know we are perceived by many non-Duke people, why I think we are misperceived in this way, and how this perception is wrong. If a recruit was actually reading my post, that recruit might say "Oh wow, yeah, I heard Duke was a school with a bunch of snooty rich kids, but this guy went there and says everyone's really friendly and cool, much moreso than at UNC. Maybe this guy's opinion about Duke is more accurate than some of the stuff I've heard from other people, since he attended the school." Please tell me what I said about Duke that was bad.

dukeimac
09-27-2008, 12:51 PM
Edouble, here is what I take you as saying, hey I like chocolate but it isn't good for me.

"Duke is probably considered a cool school to go to if you're in an upper SES prep school, but probably not so much if you're in an inner city high school where alot of good basketball recruits come from."

"I personally think that the Duke NBA player reputation is pretty much finished. I don't think that one gets mentioned as much anymore."

"Alot of players like a younger coach."

You DO try to counter each of these statements but you make them and they stick out much more than your counters.

Just stay positive. No need to make a negative statement to make a point.

See Schwarz's post.

throatybeard
09-27-2008, 01:14 PM
We're world class when it comes to patting ourselves on the back.

ncexnyc
09-28-2008, 12:29 AM
to both Edouble and Footballfan2. They both gave a fair assessment of the situation.

I can see how some might disagree, as the thread is in fact titled, "Duke's pluses", but considering what took place Friday night, it's only fitting we have some debate here.

Jarhead
09-28-2008, 01:19 PM
In summary, one could say that the pluses are absolutely real and true. The negatives cannot be shown to be real and true except when influenced by the biases of academic and sports rivalries.

jimsumner
09-28-2008, 02:25 PM
For the life of me I can't see any connection between the Obama-McCain debate and the relative merits of Duke University and its competition in the recruiting of high-school basketball players.

ncexnyc
09-29-2008, 10:58 AM
In summary, one could say that the pluses are absolutely real and true. The negatives cannot be shown to be real and true except when influenced by the biases of academic and sports rivalries.

Let you remind you of this.
http://news.duke.edu/lacrosseincident/

The national media always made it a point to mention either the preception of Duke's student body or they flat out stated it as a supposed fact.

Stereotypes exist in our society and the fact that the Duke student body is made-up of rich kids is one that does indeed exist. Anyone who watches a basketball game on t.v. knows the university has an extremely diverse student body, but many chose to ignore that fact.

ncexnyc
09-29-2008, 11:01 AM
For the life of me I can't see any connection between the Obama-McCain debate and the relative merits of Duke University and its competition in the recruiting of high-school basketball players.

Try harder. It's called a debate for a reason. People present their opposing views on an issue, which is what was taking place on this thread and on Friday night.

Cali-Duke
09-29-2008, 11:39 AM
I think that another benefit for recruits who are not shoe-ins to the NBA is an alumnibasis with connections to basketball/NBA-related jobs.

For instance, Greg Paulus wants to go into coaching after his Duke college career. We have a bunch of alumni who are head and assistant coaches at many Division I schools.

Also, you could argue that Duke can connect players with agents to move into that industry. Lee Melchioni got his job by meeting an agent while at Duke.

Duke alumni also have major positions in NBA front offices, such as Danny Ferry who is the general manager of the Cleveland Cavaliers.

We always stress family at Duke. This is just another avenue where family can come into play.

JasonEvans
09-29-2008, 12:18 PM
I cannot see any further purpose to this thread. It was a somewhat silly exercise from the start (a bunch of Duke fans talking about all the great things about Duke).

The mods have been talking about once again trying to hold the DBR community to a higher standard. Toward that end, I am closing this thread. It has served its purpose.

--Jason