PDA

View Full Version : Mike Dunleavy Jr. News

Uncle Drew
03-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Has anyone noticed the improvment (although still inconsistent) in Mike Dunleavy the last few games and especially since his trade to Indiana? Seems he's getting the minutes and might be turning his career around. Last three games......

Min FG 3Pt FT Off Reb Ast TO Stl Blk PF Pts
41 9-15 0-0 5-6 1 7 5 1 0 1 2 23
25 6-10 3-4 5-6 0 3 1 2 2 0 4 20
31 5-9 0-0 1-3 2 5 2 2 2 0 4 11

_Gary
03-26-2007, 06:06 PM
Yes, I've noticed it. Goes to show you that sometimes it definitely is about the location, coaching, or teammates - and not always about the player. While I never thought Mike would become a perennial All-Star, I knew he could be better than he was showing in Golden State. I still firmly believe that first year under Eric Musselman did some psychological damage to Dunleavy that he never recovered from. That and he was playing with guys that just weren't the right fit for him. He needed the change of scenery to improve, and I'm really glad for him.

If things don't change quickly in Orlando, JJ is going to be in a similar situation. It's almost to the point where either he or the coach is going to need to go in order for him to be successful in his early NBA career. And if the Magic are going to keep Brian Hill I sincerely hope they do trade JJ.

Gary

SilkyJ
01-13-2008, 02:13 AM
Mike is quietly averaging 17ppg, almost 6 boards, 3apg, and a steal, while shooting 43% from 3, and 49% overall. all of the above are career highs and usually by multiple units. even his FT% is several points higher than any previous season average.

indiana isnt doing great but isnt doing horribly: they have the #2 offense in the east but the worst defense so they are currently one game out of the 8th playoff spot. big mike fan, so glad to see him doing well.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/stats?statsId=3601

Jumbo
01-13-2008, 02:16 AM
Indeed. Indiana's system has really meshed nicely with Dunleavy's skill set. It's a nice reminder that people give up on guys waaaaay too soon in the NBA.

ugadevil
01-13-2008, 11:01 AM
I saw some of the highlights from that Indiana/Sacramento game last night. It seemed like the Kings decided they were just going to let Dunleavy beat them with open 3's. Bad strategy for the Kings as he knocked down the open shots.

billybreen
01-13-2008, 12:40 PM
Go Mike. It's great to see him in a position to succeed.

phaedrus
01-13-2008, 01:27 PM
On a related note, I picked up Men's Health yesterday and it mentions Dunleavy's summer workout routine. Apparently he put on 10-15 pounds of muscle - probably a good idea.

uncwdevil
01-13-2008, 01:44 PM
I saw some of the Pacers/Kings game last night and was sorry to see that Mike's genetics have started to catch up to him in the follicle department.

He definitely looks bigger/stronger however.

SilkyJ
01-13-2008, 02:31 PM
On a related note, I picked up Men's Health yesterday and it mentions Dunleavy's summer workout routine. Apparently he put on 10-15 pounds of muscle - probably a good idea.

interesting. i suppose its possible, but his overall weight has been 230 since his 1st year in the league. he came in at 220 at the draft, and they quickly put 10lbs on him during that 1st summer so he was up to 230 and they still list him at 230...

i don't know if he wants to go any higher than that. he plays SG/SF most of the time and 230 is plenty of heft for that position. he's not the quickest guy in the world so putting on some more lbs would only slow him down I feel...

Grey Devil
01-13-2008, 02:38 PM
The Pacers are playing the Warriors in Oakland today and the San Jose Mercury News has a nice article up about Mike -- and how much better he's playing for the Pacers now that he's gotten away from all the boo-birds in the Bay area. Check it out at:

http://www.mercurynews.com/sportsheadlines/ci_7960034?nclick_check=1

The paper version has a couple of nice pictures that unfortunately aren't in the online story.

Grey Devil

phaedrus
01-13-2008, 06:05 PM
interesting. i suppose its possible, but his overall weight has been 230 since his 1st year in the league. he came in at 220 at the draft, and they quickly put 10lbs on him during that 1st summer so he was up to 230 and they still list him at 230...

i don't know if he wants to go any higher than that. he plays SG/SF most of the time and 230 is plenty of heft for that position. he's not the quickest guy in the world so putting on some more lbs would only slow him down I feel...

Good point. MH said 12 pounds, but it's possible the goal of the program was to get fitter and stronger (and more explosive... muscle will do that) without gaining weight. The article also mentioned that Troy Murphy, who did the same training, gained significantly more weight (20 pounds or so).

jma4life
01-14-2008, 01:16 AM
And apparently Murphy increased his vertical by 5 inches while putting on that mass. Anyway, Dunleavy had 18 pts, 10 boards and 7 assists in GS and was booed heavily by the crowd last night.

freedevil
01-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Indeed. Indiana's system has really meshed nicely with Dunleavy's skill set. It's a nice reminder that people give up on guys waaaaay too soon in the NBA.

Completely agree. I love Dunleavy's game.

g_olaf
01-15-2008, 05:01 PM
Good point. MH said 12 pounds, but it's possible the goal of the program was to get fitter and stronger (and more explosive... muscle will do that) without gaining weight. The article also mentioned that Troy Murphy, who did the same training, gained significantly more weight (20 pounds or so).

Also, part of the weight gain was to gain back lbs that Nellie had him take off... Nellie wanted everyone on the team to lose ~10% of their body weight so that they could run run run... made it hard for MD, who was at a more ideal weight to start with.

dukegirlinsc
02-13-2008, 12:16 AM
i hope everyone saw sportscenter's top plays tonight.
dunleavy jr had a sick dunk as #10.

i was like "holy CRAP that was amazing....holy CRAP that was mike dunleavy!!!"

juise
02-13-2008, 11:29 AM
It's #8 on NBA.com's top 10 plays for 2/12.

dkbaseball
02-13-2008, 12:28 PM
It was pretty stunning -- Dr. J type stuff. I can't remember him doing anything quite like it at Duke.

SilkyJ
02-13-2008, 12:36 PM
sick!

i am a huge mike fan. in fact, i'm gonna go ahead and declare myself the biggest mikey d fan on this board. Who else owns his Goldenstate '67 throwback that they wear for those retro games? And who else would spend 75 bucks on it?

If jermaine oneal was healthy/still good the pacers would make the playoffs this year.

MChambers
02-13-2008, 12:40 PM
It was pretty stunning -- Dr. J type stuff. I can't remember him doing anything quite like it at Duke.

Dunleavy's freshman year he did a reverse layup, going past Haywood that garnered comparisons to Dr. J.

Grounded
02-13-2008, 12:50 PM
Great dunk, Mike!

Pretty sure he had a similar dunk at home against UNC in 2001. I don't have time to find it on my iTunes right now though...

Clipsfan
02-13-2008, 01:02 PM

He did some really sick stuff at Duke, including a dunk at the Dean Dome that was a whole lot more impressive in my mind.

DukeDevil
02-13-2008, 01:07 PM
Having trouble with the link as it opens up in it's own video box, but if you go to www.nba.com, on the right side there is a "video" tab (should already be open) and the third one down is NBA TV Top 10, Feb 12. Number 8 is mike D.

SilkyJ
02-13-2008, 01:37 PM
Dunleavy's freshman year he did a reverse layup, going past Haywood that garnered comparisons to Dr. J.

I remember that. it was like an up and under move where he went baseline and went up for a finish but haywood came over to contest and then he brought the ball down and hung/glided across the lane and under the basket, and reversed it.

DukeDevil
02-13-2008, 01:43 PM
I remember that. it was like an up and under move where he went baseline and went up for a finish but haywood came over to contest and then he brought the ball down and hung/glided across the lane and under the basket, and reversed it.

I still remember that, and I remember thinking "how the hell is he still in the air?" because it seemed like he was at the top of his arc for WAY too long...levitation. That's it.

MChambers
02-13-2008, 03:04 PM
I remember reading an article on the Dunleavy father and son combo, perhaps in SI, where one of the players on the team Sr. was coaching (Portland?) said, "saw your son make a Dr. J move last night", or words to that effect.
I also remember a move against GT where he pump-faked at the three point line to lose one defender, did a 360 dribble spin to lose another, and went down the lane and dunked.

hc5duke
02-13-2008, 03:19 PM
I remember reading an article on the Dunleavy father and son combo, perhaps in SI, where one of the players on the team Sr. was coaching (Portland?) said, "saw your son make a Dr. J move last night", or words to that effect.
I also remember a move against GT where he pump-faked at the three point line to lose one defender, did a 360 dribble spin to lose another, and went down the lane and dunked.

If we're thinking about the same play (right before half-time, right?) he didn't dunk in that play - Alvin Jones was there, so he faked a layup mid-air and laid it in on the other side of the basket. This was followed by a GT player not even bothering to inbound the ball and throwing up a full-court heave. That should have been delay of game and we should have gotten the ball back right before half time IMO :)

juise
02-13-2008, 03:31 PM

I was going to bring that up, but I thought the finish was a reverse lay-in.

That clip used to be all over the shared files on the Duke network when I was in school. It was titled "Be Like Mike" and it was put together by DrunkAsian (DAZN for short, I think), who used to post on DBR. Perhaps he's still around under a different name and still has the video...

hc5duke
02-13-2008, 05:07 PM
I was going to bring that up, but I thought the finish was a reverse lay-in.

That clip used to be all over the shared files on the Duke network when I was in school. It was titled "Be Like Mike" and it was put together by DrunkAsian (DAZN for short, I think), who used to post on DBR. Perhaps he's still around under a different name and still has the video...

That would be me :) I'll try to find that clip when I get home.

SilkyJ
02-13-2008, 05:13 PM

I was thinking about mentioning that one too. As I recall the finish was actually a lefty reverse layup, whereas the UNC one was a righty reverse layup, though in both cases he drove from the right side of the basket (if you are facing the basket) which means he should have been finishing with the left on the reverse.

oh yea, and the guy he spun on was that big shot blocker from Ga Tech. something Alvin or maybe it was Alvin something. but I remember he trailed him after the spin looking for the block and mike's finish was all that much prettier b/c he had that big shot blocker going after him

That would be me :) I'll try to find that clip when I get home.

I would love to see that again...its been a while.

Richard Berg
02-13-2008, 08:07 PM
http://richardberg.net/bin/temp/BeLikeMike%20%5bdazn%5d.mpeg (should be done uploading in 3min or so)

juise
02-13-2008, 11:11 PM
You must have missed the last several posts where people were requesting that old clip. The 2/12 dunk is on NBA.com.

Seriously. A few of us have already described how to find Dunleavy's dunk. There's no easy way to link to NBA.com videos, but a number of posters have described how to get there. Sometimes it takes more than one click to get there.

Anyway... here's a link to the youtube version (http://youtube.com/watch?v=89f6Z5tKXHs).

Edit: And my good deed is rewarded with a Laettner title!

Uncle Drew
02-15-2008, 09:16 PM
This is kind of off the subject, but since half the stuff you guys are talking about sounds like Greek to me I figured someone might be able to explain this to me. On Yahoo sports when I check the box scores to see how many points, rebounds and assists a particular Duke player had there is a column I don't understand. What is +/-? Some guys will have +13 for example and someone else might have -7. What is this + & - thing? Is it a fantasy stat or something actually relevant to the actal game played?

Deslok
02-16-2008, 01:05 AM
This is kind of off the subject, but since half the stuff you guys are talking about sounds like Greek to me I figured someone might be able to explain this to me. On Yahoo sports when I check the box scores to see how many points, rebounds and assists a particular Duke player had there is a column I don't understand. What is +/-? Some guys will have +13 for example and someone else might have -7. What is this + & - thing? Is it a fantasy stat or something actually relevant to the actal game played?

Very relevant to the actual game played, see Jumbo's accumulated and game by game stats for a look at Duke +/-. Basically, it stands for how their team did while that player was on the floor. So if say Boozer was +14, it would mean that Jazz outscored the opposition by 14 points while Boozer was on the floor. And if say Duhon was -3, it would mean the Bulls were outscored by 3 points during the time Duhon was on the floor.

Uncle Drew
02-16-2008, 03:30 AM
Very relevant to the actual game played, see Jumbo's accumulated and game by game stats for a look at Duke +/-. Basically, it stands for how their team did while that player was on the floor. So if say Boozer was +14, it would mean that Jazz outscored the opposition by 14 points while Boozer was on the floor. And if say Duhon was -3, it would mean the Bulls were outscored by 3 points during the time Duhon was on the floor.

That makes a lot of sense when you explain it that way. I had looked up players season averages and had figured out it wasn't + or - that. I guess the +/- thing could be looked at as an offensive and defensive stat. But I can also see how it could be misleading sometimes. Let's say Zoubek was having a hot night and scored 25 points in a game but Nelson was having a bad night and only scored 4 points. If Coach K subbed them in and out together their +/- would probably be similar if not the same wouldn't it? And I'm also assuming if Nelson had 5 steals and 5 blocks all of which ended up getting the ball to Zoubek to score 20 points it would kind of give credit to Nelson for dfense even if he didn't score the points. But what the hell do I know, I went to public schools in North Carolina. I'm lucky I can even read what I'm typing.

Deslok
02-16-2008, 05:42 AM
If you read through the cumulative +/- sticky thread, you'll see a fair bit of this answered. But in short, for an individual game, you are right that things might be misleading. But over the course of a season, things average out and +/- is a nice tool to help see which players are most valuable, helping their team do the things that it takes to win, whether it shows up in the regular stats sheet or not(charges taken, picks set, smothering defense that forces bad shots, etc). Its not the be all and end all, but its one more measure of indication.

DukeFencer
02-29-2008, 10:15 AM
There is a nice article on GoDuke on Ned & Virginia Crotty, Duke Lacrosse players and siblings, as the 5th & 6th siblings in their families to come to Duke. It's a cool story.

At the bottom of the article it mentions that the oldest child to go to Duke will be marrying Mike Dunleavy, Jr. this summer!

Congrats to Mike!

http://www.goduke.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=4200&ATCLID=1399623

ArtVandelay
02-29-2008, 10:40 AM
Wow, impressive. Sarah was in my class, and she started dated Dunleavy while we were in school. And they survived the entourages of NBA women for all those years. Good for them.

Ann Arbor Devil
03-02-2008, 08:57 PM
Dunleavy has 30+ points three times in his last 6 games, including a career-high 36 in each of his last 2. He's now averaging ~18/game for the season.

Nice to see him flourishing in Indiana after some tough times out west.

roywhite
03-02-2008, 09:09 PM
Dunleavy has 30+ points three times in his last 6 games, including a career-high 36 in each of his last 2. He's now averaging ~18/game for the season.

Nice to see him flourishing in Indiana after some tough times out west.

Yeah, saw he hit 6-threes the other day. Read that he made a major commitment to strength and conditioning, and this is apparently paying dividends.

Don't hear his name as much as some other alums about return trips to Durham, and staying close to the program. Is the relationship still strong?

juise
03-02-2008, 09:23 PM
I saw the 36 points on 17 shots today... very nice. On the ESPN.com NBA scores page, they have a photo and a stat line for the day's top three performers. When I looked a while ago, it was Mike sandwiched between Lebron and Kobe... not bad company.

jimsumner
03-02-2008, 10:25 PM
Don't hear his name as much as some other alums about return trips to Durham, and staying close to the program. Is the relationship still strong?

I talked to Mike recently for a BDW article. He comes back in the summer but hasn't been to a game in Cameron since his final season. Remember he spent 4.5 seasons on the West Coast and there isn't a lot of down time in the NBA. But yes, the relationship is still strong.

roywhite
03-02-2008, 10:30 PM
"Don't hear his name as much as some other alums about return trips to Durham, and staying close to the program. Is the relationship still strong?"

I talked to Mike recently for a DBR article. He comes back in the summer but hasn't been to a game in Cameron since his final season. Remember he spent 4.5 seasons on the West Coast and there isn't a lot of down time in the NBA. But yes, the relationship is still strong.

thanks, jim...

Nice to see him flourishing in his new location.

ugadevil
03-03-2008, 11:40 AM
Indiana has had two very solid break out wing players this season. Obviously, Dunleavy is having the best season of his NBA career. However, the same can be said for Danny Granger, the other wing player for the Pacers. Both players are good 3 point shooters who have the ability to get to the rim. If Indiana could just stay healthy, they have a solid starting lineup with players who are tough match up problems.

DukeDevil
03-03-2008, 12:56 PM
Men's health did a special on his trainer and the regimens he goes through. Pretty tough and impressive stuff. The shortened, online version is as follows.

http://www.menshealth.com/cda/article.do?site=MensHealth&channel=fitness&category=muscle.building&topic=total.body&conitem=dc4be92e040d6110VgnVCM10000013281eac____

wisteria
03-12-2008, 12:06 AM
30+ point games are becoming a norm for Dunleavy.
Another 32 point performance today (10-16, 4-5 from downtown) in a win over Sonics.

77devil
03-12-2008, 01:49 PM
30+ point games are becoming a norm for Dunleavy.
Another 32 point performance today (10-16, 4-5 from downtown) in a win over Sonics.

After twisting his ankle and getting clocked by an elbow in the face.

wisteria
03-17-2008, 11:30 PM
Dunleavy ties career high 36pt for the 4th time today in a win over the Knicks.

How come he just keeps scoring 36? Come on, 40, you can do it!!:D

dukemsu
03-18-2008, 12:34 AM
Mike made a move tonight that looked like an old Dr. J move, going behind his back on the way to the hole. Just sick. He has always been a wildly skilled player. Nice to see he's found a home in Indy. Hopefully they can build a team there.

Dunleavy may never be an all-star (though he's heading in that direction), but he's certainly become a solid NBA starter.

Acymetric
03-18-2008, 12:42 AM
Mike made a move tonight that looked like an old Dr. J move, going behind his back on the way to the hole. Just sick. He has always been a wildly skilled player. Nice to see he's found a home in Indy. Hopefully they can build a team there.

Dunleavy may never be an all-star (though he's heading in that direction), but he's certainly become a solid NBA starter.

It seems to me that he's been compared to Dr. J before...anyone else recall this?

hc5duke
03-18-2008, 12:43 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bkB4gTV1b6s

Good Dunleavy clip - scroll to about 2:55 and Mike Sr. makes a cameo

dukemsu
03-18-2008, 12:46 AM
It seems to me that he's been compared to Dr. J before...anyone else recall this?

You may be thinking of an old SI article about the Dunleavys, father and son. Sr. recalled one of his players (for the Clippers, I believe) who caught some Duke highlights and told Sr. "Saw your boy make a Dr. J move last night".

There may be other comparisons, but that one I remember specifically.

pless55
03-27-2008, 11:45 PM
Congratulations to Dunleavy who's having a breakout year averaging eighteen points a game. Everybody knew what he was capable of.

geraldsneighbor
03-28-2008, 12:06 AM
Funny you mentioned that. I just looked his stats up after I saw he had 33 last night in a loss to the Nets. Hes had two 36 point performances in the past couple of weeks. Good to see, just wish the Pacers were a little better!

lmb
03-28-2008, 10:01 AM
I believe the NBA has a most improved player award. Dun has got to be in the running for that. For those who follow the NBA closely, who would his competition be for an award like that.

ugadevil
03-28-2008, 11:40 AM
I believe the NBA has a most improved player award. Dun has got to be in the running for that. For those who follow the NBA closely, who would his competition be for an award like that.

I would think Hedo Turkoglu could be a contender for the award. Also, other possibilities might be LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Gay.

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 11:41 AM
March has really been good to Junior. He is averaging 22.1 ppg this month and is hitting an absurd 54.8% on his threes. That's money from long range!

If you are looking at how his scoring affects his team-- this month, in games in which Mike scores in the teens his team is 1-6. In games in which he scores 20+ then are 5-1. I am not sure if this is just a one-month blip and I am not going to go back and calculate the record over the entire season. But, for the past month, Mike scoring big = Pacers win. That matters.

--Jason "sounds kinda funny, but at $8.2 million this year, Mike is sorta a bargain by NBA standards" Evans

JasonEvans
03-28-2008, 11:51 AM
I would think Hedo Turkoglu could be a contender for the award. Also, other possibilities might be LaMarcus Aldridge and Rudy Gay.

What about Chris Paul? Scoring up from 17 to 21 ppg, assists up from 8.9 to 11.4. No question he is a far superior player. I know there is no way a strong MVP contender wins Most Improved, but Paul is sooo much better than last year.

Could Manu Ginobili be a Most Improved candidate?

Monta Ellis won it last year over KMart, right?

I agree that Turkoglu is a very good candidate. The fact that he plays on a good team matters to me versus Aldridge and Gay.

--Jason "is Al Jefferson in the mix too?" Evans

ugadevil
03-28-2008, 11:57 AM
What about Chris Paul? Scoring up from 17 to 21 ppg, assists up from 8.9 to 11.4. No question he is a far superior player. I know there is no way a strong MVP contender wins Most Improved, but Paul is sooo much better than last year.

Could Manu Ginobili be a Most Improved candidate?

Monta Ellis won it last year over KMart, right?

I agree that Turkoglu is a very good candidate. The fact that he plays on a good team matters to me versus Aldridge and Gay.

--Jason "is Al Jefferson in the mix too?" Evans

I didn't think about Chris Paul, but you're right. It would be great though if he won MVP and Most-Improved. Is Ginobli still coming off the bench for the Spurs? It seems like he's the frontrunner for the 6th man award every year.

Al Jefferson has had a great season, but he definitely doesn't play on a good team. However, I'm not sure if he'll really be in contention since he seemed to really play great at the end of last season. Maybe people saw the talent last season, so they're not really surprised by the improvement?

moonpie23
03-28-2008, 12:25 PM
it just goes to show how someone seemingly not getting it done, can flourish in another system....

let's hope JJ and Duhon get the chance...

Clipsfan
03-28-2008, 02:49 PM
I love the improvement Dunleavy has made this year although I'm curious whether he'll continue to get as many shots now that O'Neal is going to start playing again. He's still been very efficient recently and has helped my fantasy team quite a bit. I also have Aldridge and Turkoglu on my team and think that Turkoglu is a better candidate for most improved. I really think that Bynum would have been in the running if he hadn't gotten hurt.

ugadevil
03-28-2008, 03:13 PM
I love the improvement Dunleavy has made this year although I'm curious whether he'll continue to get as many shots now that O'Neal is going to start playing again. He's still been very efficient recently and has helped my fantasy team quite a bit. I also have Aldridge and Turkoglu on my team and think that Turkoglu is a better candidate for most improved. I really think that Bynum would have been in the running if he hadn't gotten hurt.

I've benefited a great deal from having Turkoglu and Dunleavy in fantasy. When the two of them are playing well, they're capable of getting 12-15 3's combined. That's a pretty big number.

I think Bynum and Chris Kaman were the two most competitve as far as big men goes. However, both have struggled with injuries a great deal and probably won't be considered.

DukieBoy
03-29-2008, 07:51 PM
just wish the Pacers were a little better!

At the rate the Pacers are going, they could get someone like a Derek Rose or Kevin Love. If they get either of them, and they could Jermaine O'Neal, they could become a much better team.

Salag
03-29-2008, 11:09 PM

I think Hedo Turkogulu (sp?) is probably a shoo-in for this award. Though I'm surprised dunleavy has improved this much. Andrew Bynum is another big name, that qualifies for this, plus, he's a Laker.

SharkD
03-30-2008, 10:00 AM
Also, congrats to Mike and Virginia on their upcoming wedding.

SilkyJ
04-09-2008, 12:13 AM
28pts 6rebs 1to, on excellent shooting

Pacers beat the Hawks tonight. Hawks have the last spot in the east. Pacers are 1 spot below them, now 2 games out.

Pacers are streaking....

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/recap?gameId=280408011

mgtr
04-09-2008, 02:01 AM
Glad to see that Dunleavy is clicking on all eight cylinders.

Highlander
04-09-2008, 10:43 AM
So for the Pacers to make the playoffs, they've got to at least tie the Hawks, which are currently up 2 games. There are 4 to go, so Atlanta has to lose at least two games (and the Pacers go undefeated) for Indiana to get in. In their next four games, the Hawks play NY and Miami, both of which they should win. They also play Orlando and Boston, both of which they should lose. However, both Orlando and Boston have clinched their playoff seeds, so they have very little to play for and may choose to rest their starters.

On the other hand, the Pacers play NY and Charlotte, both of which they should win. They also have games against Philly and Washington, both of which could improve their seeding with a few more wins. On paper, Indiana's last 4 games are easier, but that all depends on whether Orlando and Boston mail it in to rest for the playoffs.

Bottom line is that the Pacers have no margin for error. Lose 1 game in their next four, and they are very likely staying home. It's a tall order, but given the Hawks history of frustration (sorry JasonEvans), it wouldn't surprise me if they left the door open for Indiana.

KandG
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
Love this quote about Mike's year so far:

"It's hard to think that Mike is capable of giving us more than he's given us all year," Pacers coach Jim O'Brien said. ". . . I think Jermaine O'Neal said, 'The thing about Mike is, he never really had a lull in his game throughout the year.' "

From this article (http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080410/SPORTS04/804100434/1088/SPORTS04).

JasonEvans
04-11-2008, 02:06 PM
Bottom line is that the Pacers have no margin for error. Lose 1 game in their next four, and they are very likely staying home. It's a tall order, but given the Hawks history of frustration (sorry JasonEvans), it wouldn't surprise me if they left the door open for Indiana.

Hey, I am rooting for the Hawks to lose. Their coaching/front office is dreadful and I want Mike Woodson fired, ASAP! If they make the playoffs, he probably hangs on one more season -- which would be a bad thing.

--Jason "that said, the Hawks will make the playoffs, I think" Evans

Hot Route
04-12-2008, 03:20 PM

David West in my opinion.

SilkyJ
04-12-2008, 04:03 PM
Dun had another solid game last night as the pacers beat the 6ers, who are still playing for seeding, I think. 15 pts. 2rebs. 1ast. 3tos. on decent shooting...

http://scores.espn.go.com/nba/boxscore?gameId=280411020

With regard to most improved player, Dun's own teammate, Danny Granger, should be in the conversation as well.

He's gone from 14pts, 4.7 rebs, 1.4 ast, to 19pts, 6.1 rebs, 2.1 ast and raised his FT from 80 to 85%. He raised his 3pt% by a point to 39% but more significant he's shooting 5 3s per game and has become a become a more rounded threat.

Last night he actually had 30 pts and 12 rebs 1stl 2blk 4to

Not saying he's better than Dun, or I guess more improved than Dun b/c dun has really raised his game, but saying he just belongs in the conversation...

(come to think of it i bet both of them have benefited from the improvement in the other)

Jumbo
04-12-2008, 04:12 PM
Dun just keeps getting better. Check out his stats since the All-Star break:
21.7 ppg, 4.3 rpg, 3.4 apg, 1.0 spg, 0.5 bpg, 47.6 FG%, 48.2 3FG%, 82.3 FT%.
Outstanding!

moonpie23
04-12-2008, 06:47 PM
it's all about getting in the right system "team" wise......look at dunleavy and battier.......here's hoping jj gets onto a team that he can fit in with better.

wisteria
04-16-2008, 10:59 PM
:p

Seriously, what is this with Dunleavy and 36 pts?

He made career high 36pts again tonight, the 4th time now?
It's almost like whenever it's 36, there's something magical holding him back.

That said, great season, Mike~~~

juise
04-17-2008, 12:28 AM
From the AP recap (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/recap?gid=2008041611) of the game:

Dunleavy scored 36 points for the fifth time this season, and the third against the Knicks. He averaged 31 points this season against New York. Granger joked that he knew Dunleavy would get stuck on 36 again.

“It’s strange,” Granger said. “As soon as I looked up he had 34, and I was like, ‘Oh, he’s going to get 36.’ And sure enough he got 36.”
Indiana Pacers forward Danny Granger, left, hugs Jermaine O'Neal after the Pacers beat the New York Knicks 132-123 in an NBA basketball game Wednesday, April 16, 2008, in Indianapolis. The game was the last of the season for the two teams.

Dunleavy finished the season with 10 games of at least 30 points. The Pacers were 8-2 in those contests.

From his season stats (which may not be updated to reflect this last game), I note that he set careers highs in points (~19), FG% (47.4%), 3PT% (41.7%), FT% (83.5%) and assists (3.5). Congrats on a great season, Mike.

darthur
10-28-2008, 02:18 AM
He has what looks like a minor knee injury, which is bad, but I love to see quotes like this from (team president) Larry Bird:

"It's not great when you have your best all-around player sitting out. He does so much for us. When he's in the game, you'll see our offense moving better. He means so much to us. We want to get him healthy."

DukieInBrasil
10-29-2008, 10:40 AM
iīve always like Mikeīs game and am glad that an all-time legend is praising his game...

RaineyDevil
10-29-2008, 11:42 AM
Mike Dunleavy was one of the better all around Duke players on the Championship team. He was a tall, ball handling, shooter that was a mis match for anyone. I loved watching him play and win a Natl Title in '01!

jimsumner
01-09-2009, 03:10 PM
Just a note to let folks know that Mike made his season debut last night; scored 14 points. Been out with an injury.

jipops
01-09-2009, 03:37 PM
Mike had what many would say was a breakout season last year. Good to see him back. I'm wondering how things will mesh playing with Danny Granger who is of somewhat similar size and position and is absolutely tearing it up this season.

jimsumner
01-09-2009, 03:49 PM
I'm wondering how things will mesh playing with Danny Granger who is of somewhat similar size and position and is absolutely tearing it up this season.

Good question. They meshed pretty well last season but there may have been a changing of the guard with Mike out. Still, Dunleavy has always impressed me as a masterful team player, who can complement anyone.

KandG
01-10-2009, 01:38 AM
I'm wondering how things will mesh playing with Danny Granger who is of somewhat similar size and position and is absolutely tearing it up this season.

They actually complement each other quite well, and I think Granger will welcome having another teammate who can pass superbly and penetrate when defenses are keying on him.

Mike had an excellent game against the Lakers (22 pts, 4 rebounds, 5 assists) -- the coaching staff is still trying to keep him to 20 minutes a game, but he ended up having to play more with Granger fouling out and the game being very close. He made several big plays (mostly good, but a couple bad) to keep the Pacers close, and tied the game with a 3 pointer toward the end.

On the final play with the Pacers down 2, though, Jeff Foster couldn't get Dun the ball for the last shot and ended up shooting one of the worst air balls you'll ever see.

DukieInBrasil
01-10-2009, 09:16 AM
Mike had what many would say was a breakout season last year. Good to see him back. I'm wondering how things will mesh playing with Danny Granger who is of somewhat similar size and position and is absolutely tearing it up this season.
Actually the GM, the Legend, The Larry Bird, said that the combo of Mike and Granger is absolutely fundamental to the success of the team. He sees them as totally compatible and necessary that they play together.
Mike had an even better game last night, 22 points, couple of 3s some assists some rebs etc. He will probably start again very soon. GO MIKE!!!
As a side-kick note, Mikeīs fellow former Devil on the Pacers, Josh McRoberts, continues to get PT and is acquitting himself pretty well for a deep off the bench guy. He hasnīt hit a 3 this year, but he grabs boards and plays hard D. He may yet get a more serious look at a career in the NBA.
ps Mike, I will never, ever, ever forget those 3s you hit against the Whimpercats in the Finals all those years ago, great stuff, keep it up!!!

JG Nothing
03-06-2009, 08:42 PM
http://www.indystar.com/article/20090306/SPORTS04/903060397

accfanfrom1970
04-13-2009, 08:45 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4062567

Saw this on ESPN, didn't know the surgery was career threatening....lots of guys hurt this year, which is never good. Hopefully he can return in time and play as well as he did last year.

OZZIE4DUKE
04-13-2009, 03:09 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=4062567

Saw this on ESPN, didn't know the surgery was career threatening....lots of guys hurt this year, which is never good. Hopefully he can return in time and play as well as he did last year.
Best of luck to MD to make a full recovery and resume his career in 2010 or 2011.

jipops
04-13-2009, 08:45 PM
Mike was playing the best basketball of his career last season averaging 19+ pg. This absolutely sucks as his injury issue is occurring as he reaches the peak of his career. I hope this is something he can get over and not become one of those Grant Hill-type issues. Dunleavy's offensive game is a beautiful thing to watch.

DukieinIndy
08-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Dunleavy was expected to be out until at least January 2010, but he is progressing very well. In fact, Coach Jim O'Brian says that he could be back by the season opener.

This is fantastic news for Pacers fans and fans of Dukies in the NBA. Here is a link to the IndyStar article: http://www.indystar.com/article/20090819/SPORTS04/908190376/1088/SPORTS04/Dunleavy+s+recovery+picks+up+steam