PDA

View Full Version : A 2-1 trade and an addition

NYC Duke Fan
09-23-2008, 08:45 PM
How about a trade with the SEC, Florida State and Clemson for Vanderbilt, and then add Navy to the conference.

Vanderbilt is the only private school in the SEC and by far the best academically. By joining the ACC they would be joining 4 other private schools and joining a conference that would be the academically best in the country.

Vanderbilt's athletic program is of the highest stasndards similar to Duke's. Its womens program is very compettitive.

Navy is another excellent academic institution with built in rivalries with Maryland and Virginia.

To continue football rivalries Vanderbilt's last game would be with Tennessee and of course Army would be Navy's.

The above scenario will most likely never happen for the reasons below:

Vanderebilt will not give up the money it receives from CBS for airing its games nor the money that it receives from the Bowl games that the SEC receives each year.

Navy will probably never be compettitive in basketball in the ACC

Florida probably would not want Florida State in the same conference even though there would be great rivalries in all sports that they play. USC would probably welcome Clemson

The ACC would lose its status as a top football conference as Vanderbilt and Navy were never football powerhouses

Anyway, it was only a thought hoping to get legs for a discussion

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2008, 08:52 PM
Add to the list that Vandy has a great recruiting tool being in the SEC. If they were in the ACC, those kids would be choosing from 3 schools that push for academic excellence (GT, WFU, Duke). They are already recruited by us 3 as it is, so I'm positive Vandy uses SEC game experience as a selling point for them over us.

The ACC would lose its status as a top football conference.

We would lose our status as what? Not a good argument this year :)

jimsumner
09-23-2008, 09:06 PM
"USC would probably welcome Clemson"

I'm pretty sure USC had a chance to be in the same conference as Clemson.

Clemson is one of the founding members of the ACC. I see no reason to even contemplate their leaving.

FSU for Vandy? Might be able to make a case for that. Not going to happen, of course, because there is no reason to think that either party is unhappy where they are.

Navy? In an athletic sense, I don't see what they bring to the ACC. I am unaware of any rivalry between Navy and Virginia. The relative paucity of females at the academy would most likely make their women's teams uncompetitive. The same would likely apply to most of the men's non-revenue sports.

roywhite
09-23-2008, 09:44 PM
Navy? In an athletic sense, I don't see what they bring to the ACC. I am unaware of any rivalry between Navy and Virginia. The relative paucity of females at the academy would most likely make their women's teams uncompetitive. The same would likely apply to most of the men's non-revenue sports.

Let's not forget the signature sport of the ACC, Men's Basketball. David Robinson aside, there is very little evidence that Navy could or would be competitive in hoops.

wilson
09-23-2008, 10:00 PM
Let's not forget the signature sport of the ACC, Men's Basketball. David Robinson aside, there is very little evidence that Navy could or would be competitive in hoops.

Not to mention the fact that, in the current world, Florida State would not want to move to the SEC to play football. Whether or not you think they're in legitimate decline, FSU is having a hard enough time hanging around in the upper echelon of the ACC these days. The SEC would chew them up and spit them out. Furthermore, the basketball is not inferior enough in the SEC (and in fact, some years it's better) that FSU would be able to reasonably expect to take a step up on the hardwood.

footballfan2
09-23-2008, 10:25 PM
Adding Vanderbilt and Navy provides nothing to the ACC. Remember the ACC is not an academic league... it's a sports league. I can guarantee even in FSU's dismal football state... it still generates far more money in one year for the ACC than Vanderbilt probably makes in 5 "good" years. I'm not even too sure Navy adds anything. Do they have women sports? How would this effect Navy's compliance with NCAA Title IX? Do their football players even have scholarships... or are they part of the military? Clemson is also a huge football school in SC.

FSU will be back someday. Too much talent in Florida.

I understand this is just for fun. but if this was even thought of for real... that person should be fired.

VaDukie
09-23-2008, 11:02 PM
Should I point out the fact that Vandy's home state doesn't border the Atlantic Coast?

wilson
09-23-2008, 11:29 PM
Should I point out the fact that Vandy's home state doesn't border the Atlantic Coast?

I hope you don't think that really matters anymore. Remember, Cincinnati plays in the Big East.

footballfan2
09-23-2008, 11:51 PM

Yeah I'm not too sure that really matters.

Remind me how many teams are in the Big Ten? You guessed it... not ten.

VaDukie
09-24-2008, 12:40 AM
I hope you don't think that really matters anymore. Remember, Cincinnati plays in the Big East.

And the day we start imitating the Big East...

And yes, I'd argue it matters. As much as we all dislike expansion, the teams we added made a lot more sense than Vandy ever would.

BlueintheFace
09-24-2008, 12:47 AM
I'd rather get rid of BC... period. No trade, just toss 'em. I mean come on, they are freaking far away and a true Big East school if there ever was one... and what do they bring to the table in terms of athletics? Hockey?

NYC Duke Fan
09-24-2008, 01:35 AM

OK...you are right..How about.....UConn instead of Navy

NYC Duke Fan
09-24-2008, 01:37 AM
Adding Vanderbilt and Navy provides nothing to the ACC. Remember the ACC is not an academic league... it's a sports league. I can guarantee even in FSU's dismal football state... it still generates far more money in one year for the ACC than Vanderbilt probably makes in 5 "good" years. I'm not even too sure Navy adds anything. Do they have women sports? How would this effect Navy's compliance with NCAA Title IX? Do their football players even have scholarships... or are they part of the military? Clemson is also a huge football school in SC.

FSU will be back someday. Too much talent in Florida.

I understand this is just for fun. but if this was even thought of for real... that person should be fired.

It wasn't meant to be serious, just something to do between an off week in football and no recruiting news...I was just trying to change the name of the ACC to AACC ,( Academic Atlantic Coast Conferfence )

NYC Duke Fan
09-24-2008, 01:48 AM
Each year Duke and Stanford would play 2 Ivy League Schools in a tournament
One year Stanford-Harvard, Duke-Yale

Next year Stanfoed - Princeton, ., Duke- Penn

Third Year Stanford- Columbia, Duke- Dartmouth

Fourth Year Stanford- Cornell, Duke - Brown

Yes I know it could never happen because Coach K would never play against Johnny Dawkins unless he was forced to by the NCAA Selection Committee

gep
09-24-2008, 01:57 AM
I'd rather get rid of BC... period. No trade, just toss 'em. I mean come on, they are freaking far away and a true Big East school if there ever was one... and what do they bring to the table in terms of athletics? Hockey?

I agree... BC in the ACC? traditional "south east" ACC member? Even Syracuse seemed out of place to me... :rolleyes: What about a trade between BC and UCF?:)

gep
09-24-2008, 02:00 AM
OK...you are right..How about.....UConn instead of Navy

I'd rather UCon fall off the USA into the Atlantic... never to be heard from again:D on the other hand, maybe ESPN could "recruit" them...

Edouble
09-24-2008, 02:14 AM
Yes I know it could never happen because Coach K would never play against Johnny Dawkins unless he was forced to by the NCAA Selection Committee

Don't forget about Amaker, too.

NYC Duke Fan
09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
I'd rather UCon fall off the USA into the Atlantic... never to be heard from again:D on the other hand, maybe ESPN could "recruit" them...

What is your issue with UConn ? I would hate to be in your home if UConn ever played UNC in the final game of the tournament.

Come to think of it...it could very well happen this year !!!!!

Indoor66
09-24-2008, 10:11 AM
What is your issue with UConn ? I would hate to be in your home if UConn ever played UNC in the final game of the tournament.

Personally, I would wish for them both to lose! :mad:

footballfan2
09-24-2008, 10:24 AM
Each year Duke and Stanford would play 2 Ivy League Schools in a tournament
One year Stanford-Harvard, Duke-Yale

Next year Stanfoed - Princeton, ., Duke- Penn

Third Year Stanford- Columbia, Duke- Dartmouth

Fourth Year Stanford- Cornell, Duke - Brown

you really think Duke basketball players have great SAT scores??

brevity
09-24-2008, 07:39 PM
I agree... BC in the ACC? traditional "south east" ACC member? Even Syracuse seemed out of place to me... :rolleyes: What about a trade between BC and UCF?:)

I had a similar thought a few years ago. Interesting that we both came up with UCF.

After Miami and Virginia Tech, the Big East team that made the most geographic sense to defect to the ACC was West Virginia. I'm glad UVA took a stand against Syracuse, but adding BC still feels like a mistake.

If I had free reign to redesign the ACC, with little regard for other conferences, I'd re-absorb South Carolina, add Central Florida, and dump Maryland and BC. The result easily separates the league: 6 teams north of the Carolina border, 6 teams south. It also creates 5 sensible geographic rivalry pairs (plus GT-UCF).

The quality of basketball slips a little, but the map is fantastic. (If anyone is all that interested, I did the same with the other BCS conferences, so that each has 12 football-playing teams. Obviously, the name "Big Ten" had to go.)

1Devil
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
And the day we start imitating the Big East...

And yes, I'd argue it matters. As much as we all dislike expansion, the teams we added made a lot more sense than Vandy ever would.

Vandy is a lot more of a natural fit than Boston College.

jimsumner
09-24-2008, 09:57 PM
"If I had free reign to redesign the ACC, with little regard for other conferences, I'd re-absorb South Carolina, add Central Florida, and dump Maryland and BC. The result easily separates the league: 6 teams north of the Carolina border, 6 teams south. It also creates 5 sensible geographic rivalry pairs (plus GT-UCF)."

Even hypothetically there's no way to keep recent arrival VT and ditch founding member Maryland.

brevity
09-24-2008, 10:08 PM
Even hypothetically there's no way to keep recent arrival VT and ditch founding member Maryland.

There's ALWAYS a way to do something hypothetically.

Hold on a sec... there. Ah yes. Duke now has the 1999 and 2004 titles.

Edouble
09-24-2008, 11:41 PM
If I had free reign to redesign the ACC, with little regard for other conferences,

Is there anyone who wouldn't just put Duke, UNC, State, Wake, Maryland, GT, UVA, and Clemson back into an 8 team conference? How can you top that? Maybe add FSU in there too, if only to cement the "wine and cheese" comment into the history of the league.

BlueintheFace
09-25-2008, 01:28 AM
Vandy is a lot more of a natural fit than Boston College.

Vandy just doesn't make sense geographically, which I feel we should cling to as the Atlantic Coast Conference.

whereinthehellami
09-25-2008, 08:34 AM
How about Duke leaving the ACC down the road? Here is the scenario. The Duke football revitalization falls flat and the adminstration decides not to pay the football facility arms race. Duke basically decides behind closed doors that they are done trying to be competetive in football. For the second part of the scenario Coach K steps down and Duke's basketball program struggles. They go through multiple coaches in multiple years sliding into mediocity. Does Duke stay in the ACC? There would be pressure from the ACC offices to stay comptetive in sports and Duke might decide that the conference has lost focus on maintaining student athletics. Where would Duke go? Independant? Form a new conference with teams like the aforementioned Commadores. What other teams? Would Wake jump? Temple? Navy?

Devilsfan
09-25-2008, 10:54 AM
I thought you were proposing a 3 star and a 4 star front court recruit tandum for one much needed, game changing 5 star player.

jimsumner
09-25-2008, 11:09 AM
whereinthehellami,

I agree with you 100 percent.

You are talking crazy.