PDA

View Full Version : NCSU Football injuries

davekay1971
09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
I read last night that State just lost Russell Wilson and Nate Irving to injury, both out indefinitely (though O'Brien is apparently employing the Belicheck school of information disclosure). Whether you support State (when they're not playing Duke, of course) or not, you've got to feel for that team. They just got Eugene back, they get a really meaningful win in which Wilson played very well, and now they lose him and their best defensive player. Apparently they're also down their top two tight ends, their best wide receiver, and a couple of starting offensive and defensive linemen. All this with South Florida coming to town... Wow. It makes you realize how fortunate Duke has been (knocking on wood frantically).

Uncle Drew
09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
With all due respect to Duke and the rest of the ACC, the lighter the schedule you play the less likely it is someone will get hurt. Better teams have better athletes that are faster and hit harder. I don't think it's a coincidence UNC and NCSU had key players get hurt this past weekend facing the toughest teams they had yet to play.

The later a school faces one of the better teams (even in a down year for that school) the odds are higher for better overall health later in the season. people can say what the want about other conferences like the SEC, but that's yet another hazard those schools have as the season progresses. I'm not saying players can't get hurt playing against a high school team or even practicing against themselves. But when a team fields several Mack Trucks it takes it's toll more than facing a team of tricycles.

davekay1971
09-23-2008, 08:52 AM
Generally I agree with you, that you're more likely to sustain injuries playing against the big boys. But it's hard to say that NCSU suffered injuries this weekend because they were facing their toughest team yet. I'm not sure, in a round robin, who would win between South Carolina, Clemson, and ECU. State has manned up and played a very challenging early conference schedule. Counting South Florida, 3 of their 4 early nonconference games are against high quality opponents.

Uncle Drew
09-23-2008, 09:10 AM
Generally I agree with you, that you're more likely to sustain injuries playing against the big boys. But it's hard to say that NCSU suffered injuries this weekend because they were facing their toughest team yet. I'm not sure, in a round robin, who would win between South Carolina, Clemson, and ECU. State has manned up and played a very challenging early conference schedule. Counting South Florida, 3 of their 4 early nonconference games are against high quality opponents.

Okay I agree, and I think we'd both agree playing those 3 out of 4 teams increased the odds they would get some key player(s) injured in at least one of those games. This just so happened to be the week. As for Duke, I'm knocking on wood with ya.