PDA

View Full Version : Tyrone 'Muggsy' Bogues

Orange&BlackSheep
09-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Here (http://video.aol.com/video-detail/muggsy-bogues-heart/3493189785?icid=acvsv4) he is blocking Ewing's shot in case anyone wanted to follow the reference on today's DBR article on Muggsy. It happens around the 5:00 mark if I recall correctly.

O&B Sheep

RelativeWays
09-22-2008, 08:08 PM
'I Believe I Can Fly" is the second worst song ever written. "Wind Beneath My Wings (aka the Sycophant Song)" is the worst. I wish both were expunged from human history.

DevilDan
09-22-2008, 08:29 PM
Re: "Wind Beneath My Wings" ... AGREED, Mr. RelativeWays, it has got to be THE WORST. It's just TOO MUCH. The lyrics, the over the top "warmth", and Bette (who I actually like) at the bottom rung of her career. For me it ranks just "ahead" (HA!) of "Ebony and Ivory", which was made YEARS too late. Such a waste of Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder ! Ugh !

But watching Muggsy play was incredible. I'm glad we had him in the ACC so we could see him more often. Anyway, GO DUKE !

hokieDEVIL83
09-23-2008, 09:43 AM
Some of my fondest memories as a kid growing up in Charlotte during the early 90's, (besides monthly trips to Durham with my father to watch some of the greatest Duke teams ever assembled, IMO), were going Hornets games to watch my favorite player, Muggsy. He played with so much heart and energy. It was truly inspiring to watch him play. They sure don’t make them like that anymore!!!

riverside6
09-23-2008, 10:48 AM
Muggsy was great on Curb your enthusiasm too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiJ73uk0VhU

camion
09-23-2008, 11:37 AM
I remember Muggsy from ACC play and what DBR said is true. He terrorized some great point guards during that time. You couldn't put the ball on the floor, or below your head without knowing where he was. I think Muggsy was my favorite opponent to watch in non-Duke games during that era just because it was fun when he was doing it to someone else.

hurleyfor3
09-23-2008, 12:16 PM
My family lived in Charlotte during the Hornets' first few seasons. Muggsy lived in our neighborhood. He drove a convertible with the license plate 1-MUGGSY, or maybe it was MUGGSY-1 (his uniform number with the Hornets). Whenever I was outside, perhaps shooting baskets in the driveway, and he drove by, he'd honk and wave, even though he didn't know me. A great guy.

rasputin
09-23-2008, 12:31 PM
Re: "Wind Beneath My Wings" ... AGREED, Mr. RelativeWays, it has got to be THE WORST. It's just TOO MUCH. The lyrics, the over the top "warmth", and Bette (who I actually like) at the bottom rung of her career. For me it ranks just "ahead" (HA!) of "Ebony and Ivory", which was made YEARS too late. Such a waste of Paul McCartney and Stevie Wonder ! Ugh !

But watching Muggsy play was incredible. I'm glad we had him in the ACC so we could see him more often. Anyway, GO DUKE !

Yes, but do you remember Joe Piscopo as Frank Sinatra doing "Ebony and Ivory"? It was a stitch.

Cameron
09-23-2008, 11:39 PM
'I Believe I Can Fly" is the second worst song ever written.

There is only one exception to this rule as I see it: the intro to the Bugs Bunny-led Space Jam. Michael's career highlights accompanied alongside the above song's message and rhythm are almost always enough to make me water-eyed.

Other than that, though, I wouldn't mind to never hear another RK tune again.

As for Muggsy, I was definitely a fan. I was more of an Indiana Pacer follower growing up in the '90s, as my favorite professional basketball player at the time was Reggie Miller, but I had tons of Charlotte gear as well. Loved Muggsy, Larry Johnson, and the passion of Charlotte Coliseum.

Besides, how sick were those jerseys?

http://images.usatoday.com/sports/_photos/2005/08/03/inside2-2005-08-03-bogues.jpg

sagegrouse
09-23-2008, 11:48 PM
When Muggsy was a senior IIRC (but Sumner always does and will correct), Wake was playing State in a nationally televised game covered by Dick Enberg and Al McGuire. It was a total rout and Muggsy had a field day against the Wolfpack.

CBS decided to change to another game and Al McGuire went berserk: "How can you switch to another game! Here we have a five foot three inch player dominating a major college basketball game!"

sagegrouse

killerleft
09-24-2008, 09:37 AM
Muggsy is certainly one of the most amazing basketball players... EVAR!!!! And a great role model for kids, too!

CathyCA
09-24-2008, 10:37 AM
My family lived in Charlotte during the Hornets' first few seasons. Muggsy lived in our neighborhood. He drove a convertible with the license plate 1-MUGGSY, or maybe it was MUGGSY-1 (his uniform number with the Hornets). Whenever I was outside, perhaps shooting baskets in the driveway, and he drove by, he'd honk and wave, even though he didn't know me. A great guy.

Muggsy WAS a friendly guy. I saw him frequently at the law school at Wake Forest. He would study there in one of the ground floor study rooms, and he would always wave and flash that 1000 watt smile when I walked by.