PDA

View Full Version : James Madison beats App State

Wander
09-21-2008, 10:49 AM
Therefore, Duke is about on par with LSU this season.

Olympic Fan
09-21-2008, 10:58 AM
All of three of Duke's early season opponents won Saturday ...

Navy beat Rutgers 23-21 on a late field goal (ESPN's Big East darling is now 0-3)

Northwestern beat Ohio 16-8 (which was supposed to be a MAC power, but has been struggling).

And James Madison knocked off App State. Down 21-0 at the half, they rallied to take a 35-24 lead, then held on late to win 35-32.

If there was an RPI for football, this would all make Duke look pretty good!!

devildeac
09-21-2008, 11:51 AM
Therefore, Duke is about on par with LSU this season.

Hopefully they get to keep JA:o:D.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2008, 12:44 PM
I read about JMU's rally, that's big time impressive. I always pay attention to DUke's past opponent's fortunes, and right now Duke is looking impressive given how we have faired vs. who we played.

throatybeard
09-21-2008, 03:10 PM
If there was an RPI for football, this would all make Duke look pretty good!!

Far better than the RPI. There's the Sagarin. We're 84th. We're below just two AA teams, Northern Iowa and Montana in the Roofranks years, we'd often be behind 20 or even 25 AA teams.

http://www.kiva.net/~jsagarin/sports/cfsend.htm

devildeac
09-22-2008, 09:54 AM
Far better than the RPI. There's the Sagarin. We're 84th. We're below just two AA teams, Northern Iowa and Montana in the Roofranks years, we'd often be behind 20 or even 25 AA teams.

Looks like we will have good chances to move up if we can take care of business over the next several weeks with UVa, GT, UM and Vandy.

budwom
09-22-2008, 10:41 AM

Throaty, at this point, the Sagarin ratings aren't "connected" which basically means that they reflect more of last season's results than this year's.
They'll soon be connected...as such, you can look at the Predictor column for perhaps a preview: at this point, Duke is 69, ahead of not only N. Iowa (80) and Montana (83), but also UCLA, Arkansas, Washington, and NC State.

Of course we're going to know a lot more about this Duke team by 4pm Saturday after the UVA game. Opportunity knocks.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Throaty, at this point, the Sagarin ratings aren't "connected" which basically means that they reflect more of last season's results than this year's.
They'll soon be connected...as such, you can look at the Predictor column for perhaps a preview: at this point, Duke is 69, ahead of not only N. Iowa (80) and Montana (83), but also UCLA, Arkansas, Washington, and NC State.

Of course we're going to know a lot more about this Duke team by 4pm Saturday after the UVA game. Opportunity knocks.
Amen, brother! And the man answering the door is one David Cutcliffe.....

Go Duke! Beat the Wahvaliers!

CameronBornAndBred
09-23-2008, 04:44 PM
Sagarin has us right above Rutgers? The Rutgers that is 0-3? phltttt.

budwom
09-23-2008, 04:49 PM
Sagarin has us right above Rutgers? The Rutgers that is 0-3? phltttt.

Again (see my previous post), not exactly. The Sagarin ratings this early in the season are not connected (you can read the full explanation on the USA Today Sagarin page), i.e. they reflect much more of last year's results than this years. In the next week or two this will be rectified.

For the best current Sagarin view of relative strength, see the Predictor column in which Duke is #69, and Rutgers is #102.

throatybeard
09-23-2008, 06:49 PM
Thanks BudWom. I was aware that the Sag BB ratings connect in December sometime. I wasn't sure when it happens with FB. In FB, each game is more valuable because there are fewer.

budwom
09-24-2008, 08:20 AM
I keep checking USA Today every Monday to check the Sagarin page. They aren't precise as to when the ratings will be connected, but it should be pretty soon, what with the season almost 1/3 complete.