PDA

View Full Version : NC State 30, East Carolina 24 (OT)

RelativeWays
09-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow, I never realized how much these teams hate each other, emotions are already flaring. 7-7, this could be a good one.

Uncle Drew
09-20-2008, 01:07 PM
Wow, I never realized how much these teams hate each other, emotions are already flaring. 7-7, this could be a good one.

These two schools have always recruited the same players (there have been a couple instances where a player comitted to one school, then backed out and went to the other) and since NCSU is the closest ACC school to ECU there has always been more a rivalry than the other ACC schools. Don't take that to mean ECU and fans don't want to stomp any and every ACC school they play. It just seems they dislike NCSU a little more. And make no mistake these players know each other, it's personal.

RelativeWays
09-20-2008, 01:11 PM
Big call here. If ECU scores on this mistake, this may take the wind out of NC State. Kind of too bad because they've handled themselves fairly well today.

What will State fans do if they lose to ECU in basketball and football in one year's time?

devildeac
09-20-2008, 01:28 PM
Big call here. If ECU scores on this mistake, this may take the wind out of NC State. Kind of too bad because they've handled themselves fairly well today.

What will State fans do if they lose to ECU in basketball and football in one year's time?

They'll probably resurrect the firesendek.com web site and split it into 2 boards: firetom.com and firesid.com:o:D.

Uncle Drew
09-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Since the game is at NCSU there won't be any tearing down the goal posts. However the ECU kids know how to party. As a native of this state it would be hard for me to say which is the bigger party school ECU or App State. Regardless, despite the success they have already had this season, if ECU wins there will be parties all over Greenville tonight. If anyone reading this plans on attending, take some advice and learn from my mistake while on the ECU campus in my younger days. If there is pizza at the party DON'T eat it, or at least let someone else try it and see how they are acting in about an hour.

RelativeWays
09-20-2008, 01:31 PM
Since the game is at NCSU there won't be any tearing down the goal posts. However the ECU kids know how to party. As a native of this state it would be hard for me to say which is the bigger party school ECU or App State. Regardless, despite the success they have already had this season, if ECU wins there will be parties all over Greenville tonight. If anyone reading this plans on attending, take some advice and learn from my mistake while on the ECU campus in my younger days. If there is pizza at the party DON'T eat it, or at least let someone else try it and see how they are acting in about an hour.

Alcohol= ECU
Weed= App.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2008, 01:35 PM
Right now the biggest handicap State has is the coach. O'Brien's coaching is killing them, it's like watching Franks/ Roof lead Duke. Even down to using two quarterbacks in the same series. Congratulations Wolfpack, you got yerself a winner there.
State's defense is looking good, and so is ECU's. But I credit O'Brien more with the turnovers than I do ECU. Stick with your better QB, and your chances improve. ECU should not lose this game.
P.S. NCSU vs. Duke could be a very good day in Durham.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 01:40 PM
ecu 14-7 over the wolfies at the half.

Uncle Drew
09-20-2008, 01:48 PM
Alcohol= ECU
Weed= App.

ECU is more than just alcohol I assure you. Think about ingredients that go on a pizza. Bad, bad, bad night.

2535Miles
09-20-2008, 01:57 PM
ECU, hands down, is the bigger party school. I would definitely expect major shenanigans tonight. I see more business coming CathyCA's way.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 02:02 PM
state just tied it up at 14-14 with a 7 play, 60 yard drive to start the 2nd half.

Acymetric
09-20-2008, 02:16 PM
Alcohol= ECU
Weed= App.

Exactly. I'd say ECU is a bigger "party" school, but if you want weed (or something a little...stronger) App is your place.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 02:39 PM
ecu with 3rd and 1 at the ncsu 1 yard line and a 21-17 lead.

RelativeWays
09-20-2008, 02:39 PM
Terrible play calling by ECU.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 02:52 PM
pirates had 1st and goal at the ncsu 4 and did not score, giving over on downs-WTH!

devildeac
09-20-2008, 02:58 PM
Pirates had another 1st and goal inside the ncsu 5 or 10 yard line, this time settling for a FG. Let's see if their lack of execution comes back to bite them on their posterior with a late wolfpack TD to tie or win the game if they get a 2 point conversion.

Acymetric
09-20-2008, 03:04 PM
My fear of State putting things together before we played them is starting to come true...they've looked pretty good during the parts that I've watched.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 03:05 PM
My fear of State putting things together before we played them is starting to come true...they've looked pretty good during the parts that I've watched.

That was my fear also. They are at the ecu 3 or 5 with about 2 minutes to go with a 2nd and goal.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 03:07 PM
24-24 with about 2 minutes to go and ecu receives the kickoff.

RelativeWays
09-20-2008, 03:19 PM
We don't play State until November so there's no telling what they'll be like (or what Duke will be like) in a month and 1/2 from now. Don't forget State is going to be way more hyped to beat ranked ECU at CF than us at Wade. Lets just worry about UVA for now.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 03:19 PM
OT at the cow palace. ECU lost 6 yards on their last drive. Shoulda kicked a FG when they had their 1st chance at 1st and goal. Instead they came up with 0 points.

RelativeWays
09-20-2008, 03:22 PM
I could not have been anymore wrong in the CFB prediction thread this week. :(
But I was right about GT :D

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2008, 03:23 PM
Right now the biggest handicap State has is the coach. O'Brien's coaching is killing them, it's like watching Franks/ Roof lead Duke. Even down to using two quarterbacks in the same series. Congratulations Wolfpack, you got yerself a winner there.
State's defense is looking good, and so is ECU's. But I credit O'Brien more with the turnovers than I do ECU. Stick with your better QB, and your chances improve. ECU should not lose this game.
P.S. NCSU vs. Duke could be a very good day in Durham.

WOW, total role reversal. I had no problem with Holtz's call to go on 4th, but the play called made no sense. The rest of the game was very good coaching by O'brien, great playing by State. Questionable coaching by ECU. Well deserved win. WOW.
Xlent game, looking even more forward now to 11/8!

devildeac
09-20-2008, 03:30 PM
Terrible play calling by ECU.

You were/are correct. Their play calling/decision making was BAD. As I said on another post, they only came away with 3 points on 2 late possessions of 1st and goal inside the ncsu 9 yard line (1 was at the 9 and the other was at the 4). Goodbye potential top 10 ranking. Think the wolfies would beat the hokies at this stage of the season?

Acymetric
09-20-2008, 03:31 PM
WOW, total role reversal. I had no problem with Holtz's call to go on 4th, but the play called made no sense. The rest of the game was very good coaching by O'brien, great playing by State. Questionable coaching by ECU. Well deserved win. WOW.

I think the play call would have been ok, but the blockers didn't pick up their assignments right. That's what it looked like to me, and what the commentators said too.

Devilsfan
09-20-2008, 03:46 PM
This was an exciting game. I love Andre Brown's desire. The Carolina fans in keeping with their reputation were affectionately calling this the "retard bowl". Lol.

devildeac
09-20-2008, 03:58 PM
This was an exciting game. I love Andre Brown's desire. The Carolina fans in keeping with their reputation were affectionately calling this the "retard bowl". Lol.

And that's one of the main reasons fans of BOTH those schools unite in their hatred of all things tarheelian.

captmojo
09-20-2008, 04:33 PM

You were/are correct. Their play calling/decision making was BAD. As I said on another post, they only came away with 3 points on 2 late possessions of 1st and goal inside the ncsu 9 yard line (1 was at the 9 and the other was at the 4). Goodbye potential top 10 ranking. Think the wolfies would beat the hokies at this stage of the season?

I think the play call would have been ok, but the blockers didn't pick up their assignments right. That's what it looked like to me, and what the commentators said too.

They should have taken the field goal. It would have put them up enough to win in regulation.

CameronBornAndBred
09-20-2008, 06:31 PM
2 positive points from the game.

1. We no longer have to hear the number of offensive plays State has gone without a touchdown.

2. We no longer have to listen to the pundits ponder ECU's prospects as BCS buster. Maybe next year they will reserve that talk until a team wins the majority of games in their season, but I doubt it.

davekay1971
09-20-2008, 09:25 PM
Great win for NCSU. Their defense has been decent this year, but has been hung out to dry by a truly anemic offense. O'Brien's faith in Wilson was justified today, and I think we saw the dimensions that Eugene brings to the team. State took a big step in the right direction today.

We can beat NCSU, especially at Wally Wade, but it will take a solid effort to do it...then again, the same can be true for every game left on our schedule. My wife (a Wolfpacker) and I have an understanding that we'll both be fine with whoever wins Duke-NCSU, as long as both of our teams beat the 'Holes.

captmojo
09-20-2008, 09:44 PM
Great win for NCSU. Their defense has been decent this year, but has been hung out to dry by a truly anemic offense. O'Brien's faith in Wilson was justified today, and I think we saw the dimensions that Eugene brings to the team. State took a big step in the right direction today.

We can beat NCSU, especially at Wally Wade, but it will take a solid effort to do it...then again, the same can be true for every game left on our schedule. My wife (a Wolfpacker) and I have an understanding that we'll both be fine with whoever wins Duke-NCSU, as long as both of our teams beat the 'Holes.

Best attitude award!

pamtar
09-21-2008, 10:51 AM
Great game. Maybe everyone here in Greenville will take those stupid flags off their car.

I concur with CameronB&B on Coach O. I loved Amatto's style (non-clothing) and play calling much better. However, in the long run we will be better off. O'brien may never be the recruiter Amato was but he's a much better coach. NO DEVASTATING PENALTIES!!

And yes, the cat is out of the bag. I am a Pack football fan. My pops played there so what can I say.