PDA

View Full Version : Next Year

TwoDukeTattoos
03-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Without dissecting things too heavily, a few things jump out at me.

Duke is losing only one scholarship player (McRoberts) and will be gaining at least three, possibly four. Perpaps we'll be a little deeper.

We have a PG coming in (Nolan Smith) that will perhaps provide different looks for defenses, and if nothing else, will allow Paulus some rest and relieve some pressure. Who knows, with Paulus showing an ability to hit open jumpers, perhaps K will intitiate a two-guard offense similar to that of the Duhon-JWilliams duo; with Duhon running point it allowed Williams to become a lethal scorer.

If Kyle and Singler live up to their syle and expectations, they could be very difficult for defenders to defend due to their height and unlimited range.

I am not particulary hopeful that we will land Patterson (he seems to be most interested in FL), but if we do and he lived up to his style and expectations, I think he could perpaps be better for us than McRoberts was. We need a smashmouth PF/C again so that we can have a legitmate low-post presence. And with McRoberts gone, it will again force the guards to be guards.

If we don't land Patterson (which I think is most likely) then it could be another long year for us. We'll be deeper, and perhaps quicker, so we may win another game or two as opposed to last season. But unless Zoubek becomes crazy good and strong over the summer, or Thomas becomes crazy strong, then I think we'll have a huge void down low.

And just because I feel it's worth saying, top high school talent does not necessarily equate to top college talent. However, on occasion it does. Here's to hoping that next year we discover we've landed some gems!

vango
03-26-2007, 04:13 PM
Without dissecting things too heavily, a few things jump out at me.

Duke is losing only one scholarship player (McRoberts) and will be gaining at least three, possibly four. Perpaps we'll be a little deeper.

We have a PG coming in (Nolan Smith) that will perhaps provide different looks for defenses, and if nothing else, will allow Paulus some rest and relieve some pressure. Who knows, with Paulus showing an ability to hit open jumpers, perhaps K will intitiate a two-guard offense similar to that of the Duhon-JWilliams duo; with Duhon running point it allowed Williams to become a lethal scorer.

If Kyle and Singler live up to their syle and expectations, they could be very difficult for defenders to defend due to their height and unlimited range.

I am not particulary hopeful that we will land Patterson (he seems to be most interested in FL), but if we do and he lived up to his style and expectations, I think he could perpaps be better for us than McRoberts was. We need a smashmouth PF/C again so that we can have a legitmate low-post presence. And with McRoberts gone, it will again force the guards to be guards.

If we don't land Patterson (which I think is most likely) then it could be another long year for us. We'll be deeper, and perhaps quicker, so we may win another game or two as opposed to last season. But unless Zoubek becomes crazy good and strong over the summer, or Thomas becomes crazy strong, then I think we'll have a huge void down low.

And just because I feel it's worth saying, top high school talent does not necessarily equate to top college talent. However, on occasion it does. Here's to hoping that next year we discover we've landed some gems!

Smith is actually a SG. We have a ton of them. But he has PG skills

"Kyle and Singler" - I wish we were getting twins of equal abilities. King and Singler I think you mean. Singler is versatile. King can light it up outside and at that height will be a problem. Scouting says he rebounds well too.

I too think we're woefully thin up front if we do not land Patterson and cannot get someone from the football team to come over. Could you imagine if Zoubs fouls out of a game?

Patterson is holding his cards close to the vest. I'm impressed by that. I think we have a good shot at him in theory but I have no gut feeling, which isn't a good thing for me (ie. it makes me uncomfortable). I would think the situation at Duke is ripe for him: Great school, driving distance from home, room for playing time, on TV almost every game, great coach, top flight competition, etc., etc.

ACCBBallFan
03-26-2007, 05:32 PM
Patterson is the key, or if no Patrick, then quantum Lance and Zoubek improvements, particularly in strength, but also skill, are key.

Kyle Singler replaces point forward Josh McRoberts on offense but need Patrick to replace Josh on defense, and be the brute many unrealistically wish Josh had been.

Nolan Smith is an extra defender that replaces Dockery and Ewing who were not previously replaced. Taylor King while no JJ adds the outside threat that JJ was, and Scheyer could be with a faster release, and also some height.

Couple this with all the other Duke players having another year of experience and many ACC teams losing more than Duke is losing and not having as good an incoming class, and Duke is relatively better than this season.

Without Patterson, really need Zoubek and Lance to develop in off-season. They each have a good work ethic and have a year on the team to know what they need to work on.

Gerald was comong into his own at end of year. Marty shows signs many of us have always thought was there, but his positionis still crowded by many other good players.

Thpugh technically only a junior next year, McClure is in his fourth year in the Duke system.

Nelson has incentive to be even better to improve his NBA prospects.

Should be a fun team to watch grow, though hole in the middle needs to be filled whether by developments of Zoubek and Lance and/or addition of Patrick Patterson to be a concensus contender.

If Nolan Smith is better PG, and better defender, perhaps Greg can be the SG, but I would caution against expecting Nolan or Patterson to be immediately good defenders in their first year.

Lance OTOH, I expect will show dramatic defensive improvement and gain strength in off season.

The other intangible is the fact that Duke will finally have a full complement of ACC calibre players to conduct better 5 vs 5 practices, with a player or two to spare when out due to injury or illness.

Bob Green
03-26-2007, 05:56 PM
There are several factors that must be considered when looking at next year's team:

1. The development of Lance Thomas, David McClure, and Brian Zoubek. LT & BZ need to play significant & productive minutes in the "Inside Presence" position. DM needs to improve on his ability to score.

2. We need maximum production from the perimeter guys. DeMarcus Nelson must step up his role as a leader. Jon Scheyer must improve his outside shot. Gerald Henderson must create off the dribble and exploit his midrange game. Greg Paulus must value the ball and knock down the 3-pointers off screens.

3. The freshmen must adapt to the college game and produce. All of us must exercise some patience here as this will not happen immediately. Like this year, it will take time for some. I expect Kyle Singler to start immediately. Hopefully, he is productive immediately. Nolan Smith may very well be the solution to our problem defending dribble penetration. Taylor King can shoot the ball and should help with us putting points on the board but his real value may be on the defensive end where he can play inside and help with defending our opponents big men. He is a strong rebounder.

I am very optimistic that we will be an improved team next year and a serious NC challenger in 08-09.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

Cameron
03-26-2007, 06:00 PM
I think Taylor will be the biggest surprise of the entire freshman class. Most don't believe he will see much PT next season, but I think he flourishes. At his height and abilitiy to shoot from any distance on the court, I mean just able to flat out stroke and bury three-ball after three-ball, Taylor will be a demon to try and guard. You can't lock down on a 6-7 stud from 25 feet.

It is his sophomore season, however, that the rest of the nation will be taking notice. Once he plays a year of ACC ball and bulks up over the summer in the weight room, Taylor will be amazing. He won't have the scoring or shooting career JJ had--no one probably ever will--but King could be one of the best shooters we've ever had in Durham, and end up having a career that resembles Casey Jacobsen's. And, if you would remember, Casey was an All-American as a sophomore...

gep
03-27-2007, 12:42 AM
3. The freshmen must adapt to the college game and produce. All of us must exercise some patience here as this will not happen immediately. Like this year, it will take time for some. I expect Kyle Singler to start immediately. Hopefully, he is productive immediately. Nolan Smith may very well be the solution to our problem defending dribble penetration. Taylor King can shoot the ball and should help with us putting points on the board but his real value may be on the defensive end where he can play inside and help with defending our opponents big men. He is a strong rebounder.

I am very optimistic that we will be an improved team next year and a serious NC challenger in 08-09.

Bob Green
Yokosuka, Japan

After this year, with all of the hype of the freshmen coming in, I hope next year all us fans do have patience. As with this year, much of the freshmen hype was of the "potential to contribute" immediately... which, as we've seen, doesn't quite work out equally for all freshmen.

Also, I thought I've read posts earlier that Duke should be a serious NC challenger in 07-08... again, maybe due to the extra hype of the freshmen coming in. But, by 08-09, this current freshmen, and next year's freshmen, plus senior Greg... Duke should be really good...

In any case, I think we've learned that freshmen need time, but the team can be really fun to watch.