PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: UVA Sacks own QB

cspan37421
09-18-2008, 09:31 PM
Peter Lalich won't be under center for the Cavs when Duke hosts UVA in 9 days.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/acc/0-2-161/UVA-QB-Lalich-off-the-team.html

RainingThrees
09-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I'm sensing 3-1 unless UVA has a sick running game I don't know of.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 10:25 PM
He wasn't under center last game either, so the guy who is #2 has one game of starter experience under his belt. As far as Lalich goes, I hope he manages to get himself right and with another school. I was hoping for him UVA would afford him the chance that Duke gave Asack, I'm suprised they gave him the full boot.

Wander
09-18-2008, 11:37 PM
I was really hoping this was going to be about some hilarious highlight I missed last weekend when a UVA player accidentally tackled their own QB somehow. I demand a refund.

Bob Green
09-18-2008, 11:54 PM
I'm sensing 3-1 unless UVA has a sick running game I don't know of.

In their 45-10 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=282570041) loss to UConn, Virginia had a total of 31 yards rushing:

Uncle Drew
09-19-2008, 12:03 AM
In their 45-10 (http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/boxscore?gameId=282570041) loss to UConn, Virginia had a total of 31 yards rushing:

Well that's good to see they don't have a dominant rushing game, of course that doesn't mean they won't try so Duke has to be ready.

Cameron raised a question I'd like an answer to if anyone knows. The article didn't say what Lalich did, which is 100% okay in my book. But we all found out what Asack did when everything went down with him. My question is does UVA have a different school policy in matters like this than Duke? Is their a conference policy that determines when beans are spilled or what? :confused:

Bob Green
09-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Lalich admitted drinking while on probation for an underage drinking violation:

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/lalich_admits_violating_probation_terms/27997/

He stated that he thought he could drink on probation as long as he didn't get arrested. I think he received legal advice from a Sailor. :D

RainingThrees
09-19-2008, 12:11 AM
Why is the rum Gone!?!?!?!?

Uncle Drew
09-19-2008, 12:15 AM

http://www.dailyprogress.com/cdp/news/local/crime/article/lalich_admits_violating_probation_terms/27997/

He stated that he thought he could drink on probation as long as he didn't get arrested. I think he received legal advice from a Sailor. :D

Yeah legal instructions are really hard for me to retain when I'm drunk in court too.

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2008, 12:39 AM

You'd be amazed at how much stuff you can do on probation as long as you don't get arrested. Thanks for the laugh Bob, I'm calling it a night on that one. :)
GO DUKE!!!!!

whereinthehellami
09-19-2008, 08:38 AM
The fact that the decision came from the AD strikes me as a little weird. Most of the time the Coach makes the public comment. I'm sensing a really hot seat in C-Ville.

PumpkinFunk
09-19-2008, 08:45 AM
The fact that the decision came from the AD strikes me as a little weird. Most of the time the Coach makes the public comment. I'm sensing a really hot seat in C-Ville.

You and every UVA fan/student. Groh's by far the most likely ACC coach to get the boot this year.

jv001
09-19-2008, 10:04 AM
You and every UVA fan/student. Groh's by far the most likely ACC coach to get the boot this year.

Yes he is the most likely to get the boot. Therefore let's hasten his departure with a blow out. Stop the bad streaks and begin some good ones.

whereinthehellami
09-19-2008, 01:13 PM
I've heard that Grobe is an alumnus of UVA and that UVA might be looking to make a move at Grobe. I can't see why Grobe would make that move, but if he is an alumnus, you never know. Personally I hope not. I like Grobe at Wake and think its one of the few feel good stories that College Football has going for it.

Diddy
09-19-2008, 01:55 PM
This reeks of an end run by the AD at UVA. By benching Lalich, and for something that carries no jail time or even truly serious legal ramifications, the AD is effectively hamstringing Groh.

Even though the devils are on the way up, according to us anyway, a loss to Duke is still percieved as an embarassment. IMHO, the AD is HOPING to lose to Duke. Given how UVA's season has gone so far, a loss to Duke will enable the UVA administration to fire the coach over the weekend, if not effective immediately, then they will announce that he won't be back next year while letting him finish out the season. This will put potential hires on notice, and let UVA conduct a leisurely coaching search with relatively little media scrutiny (due to actual games still being played).

VA is a state rich in FB talent, and UVA is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. It should be a power, but it isn't. The right coach could change that.

But this QB thing is just another straw on the camel's back. A loss to Duke would be a brick.

whereinthehellami
09-19-2008, 03:43 PM
Keep in mind that Groh was coach of the year last night. I think they got lucky and had some players that got it done (despite Groh). Has a coach ever been fired (in any sport) a year after winning a coach of the year award? Personally I hope they keep Groh and give him another huge contract.

VAGentleman05
09-20-2008, 12:37 AM
This reeks of an end run by the AD at UVA. By benching Lalich, and for something that carries no jail time or even truly serious legal ramifications, the AD is effectively hamstringing Groh.

Even though the devils are on the way up, according to us anyway, a loss to Duke is still percieved as an embarassment. IMHO, the AD is HOPING to lose to Duke. Given how UVA's season has gone so far, a loss to Duke will enable the UVA administration to fire the coach over the weekend, if not effective immediately, then they will announce that he won't be back next year while letting him finish out the season. This will put potential hires on notice, and let UVA conduct a leisurely coaching search with relatively little media scrutiny (due to actual games still being played).

VA is a state rich in FB talent, and UVA is one of the most beautiful campuses in the nation. It should be a power, but it isn't. The right coach could change that.

But this QB thing is just another straw on the camel's back. A loss to Duke would be a brick.

I agree that the press releases have been a little odd, with Littlepage seeming to take the lead (pretty much for the first time ever), but all indications around Cville are that there was a LOT more that went into Pete's dismissal than just the alcohol charges. The staff put a lot of energy into babysitting him for the past year and a half, but this was bound to happen sooner or later. I think what you saw this week was just the final piece of an ugly puzzle.

In any case, I'm pretty sure that Duke will be favored once the lines come out for this one. There should be a fun time to be had by all in Wallace Wade!

PumpkinFunk
09-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Keep in mind that Groh was coach of the year last night. I think they got lucky and had some players that got it done (despite Groh). Has a coach ever been fired (in any sport) a year after winning a coach of the year award? Personally I hope they keep Groh and give him another huge contract.

He was coach of the year for pulling off one shocking season full of close wins (5 by less than 2) and then letting his team blow a 2-possession lead in less than 2 minutes game time against Texas Tech. He got lucky last year. Incredibly so. This year is showing his talent a lot more than this year - playing without the talented players he had last year and with hits coming left and right. And he's failing.