PDA

View Full Version : My first buck killed w/ bow

BlueDevilJay
09-18-2008, 03:57 PM
I killed my first ever buck with a bow on Monday evening, 13 pointer, weighed 190 lbs. I didn't know if there were any other hunters on this board or not, so I wasn't going to post any photos of it yet, but if there are any, let me know and I'll post some of the pictures of the deer here. I have been told that I may have a county record for bow hunting, and possibly a state record as well. Either way, I've had a freakin outstanding week, started off by the hunt of a lifetime. If any want to know about it, let me know and I'll copy my post from another hunting board over here for yall to see. Yee haw!!!! :)

DukieInKansas
09-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I'm not a hunter, so don't post a picture for me - but congratulations. That is quite a trophy. Where in the house will you be displaying it?

BlueDevilJay
09-18-2008, 04:24 PM
Not sure yet if I'm going to have it mounted, or just put the horns on a plaque. Mounting them is freakin expensive, so I don't know if that's the best use of my cash at this time. Either way, probably in the living room right above the couch :) And okay, I won't post any pictures in here so as to not offend anyone being that this isn't a deer hunting message board, but if anyone wishes to see the pictures and comment on them, I have posted several of them to my personal album on here, which you can reach by clicking the link below. Hope you like them :)

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/album.php?albumid=27

bjornolf
09-18-2008, 04:30 PM
Awesome, congrats. I haven't hunted in years, not since well before the kids came along. But that's a darn good first kill. Just know you may never get another like it. ;)

My wife's cousin who died of cancer had a funny story about hunting with his dad. When he was just a little guy, he got a brand new rifle with a beautiful scope for Christmas. The first time he took it for a spin, he and his dad had a whole herd of deer cross their stand. There were some real beauties in their, including a nice 11 point buck. His dad said to him, "Okay son, here's your chance." Matt tried to take careful aim, but he was shaking with excitement. He fired into the herd and yelped excitedly when the herd ran away, all but one. He had a clean one-shot kill. On a tiny yearling with barely a stub of antler. His dad said, "Tough luck, son. You had a shot at a good 11 point buck and you got Bambi!" Matt just looked up at his dad with big eyes and said "But dad, where's the challenge in hitting one of the big ones?" :rolleyes: I always thought that story was hysterical.

duke74
09-18-2008, 04:37 PM
Awesome, congrats. I haven't hunted in years, not since well before the kids came along. But that's a darn good first kill. Just know you may never get another like it. ;)

My wife's cousin who died of cancer had a funny story about hunting with his dad. When he was just a little guy, he got a brand new rifle with a beautiful scope for Christmas. The first time he took it for a spin, he and his dad had a whole herd of deer cross their stand. There were some real beauties in their, including a nice 11 point buck. His dad said to him, "Okay son, here's your chance." Matt tried to take careful aim, but he was shaking with excitement. He fired into the herd and yelped excitedly when the herd ran away, all but one. He had a clean one-shot kill. On a tiny yearling with barely a stub of antler. His dad said, "Tough luck, son. You had a shot at a good 11 point buck and you got Bambi!" Matt just looked up at his dad with big eyes and said "But dad, where's the challenge in hitting one of the big ones?" :rolleyes: I always thought that story was hysterical.

I'm not a hunter, but I'm not "against" it either...but this story just makes me sad.

BlueDevilJay
09-18-2008, 04:41 PM
Thats pretty funny bjornolf. Hunting with my dad growing up is an experience I'll never forget myself, and now at the age of 31, I felt like a kid all over again the other night, as I could just see how proud dad was in his eyes, and his shared excitement over the whole hunt. He was in a blind about 60 yards behind me, and watched the whole event unfold through binoculars. It was probably a once in a lifetime type hunt, and a memory that I'll cherish for life. Thanks for sharing that story as well. In my lifetime, I've only killed 3 deer. A 4 point buck when I was 15 yrs old with a 22-250 rifle, a doe last year with my bow, and now this buck, my first buck ever with a bow. My dad said its all downhill from here :) He's probably right cause that deer is HUGE for the area I live in.

weezie
09-18-2008, 05:49 PM
Congrats! We are plagued with deer, rats with long legs, that is. I think it's great to keep the population under control.
Right on! Bow, black powder and open season, let 'er rip....and save me the tenderloins to wrap in bacon and grill.

EarlJam
09-18-2008, 05:51 PM
Congrats! We are plagued with deer, rats with long legs, that is. I think it's great to keep the population under control.
Right on! Bow, black powder and open season, let 'er rip....and save me the tenderloins to wrap in bacon and grill.

This reminds me. I've got a "date" with BillyBreen tonight.

-EJ

DukeUsul
09-18-2008, 05:59 PM
Read an article this week about how Duke Forest is overrun with deer, and they're opening it up to some deer hunters. They said it's averaging 81 deer/sqmi I believe. I'd hate to be jogging the trails when the hunters come through....

Nice shot Jay.

-jk
09-18-2008, 06:28 PM
I'll certainly never forget that fall day a few years ago: I was riding my mountain bike on a beautiful trail, fabulous surroundings, fall colors, gorgeous views, in Roaring Gap in the NC mountains. I've put in hundreds of miles on the trails there.

I came around a bend, face-to-arrow with a bow hunter.

Yikes!

Thank the good Lord he was sober. We chatted a few minutes. Then I rode on and he continued his wait. In balance, I have to say bow hunters seem a bit more diligent than gun hunters, probably of necessity as it's much closer work.

I can't stand blaze orange (Clemson, UVA, et al; we do what we gotta do!), so I ride in an electric blue - almost, but not quite, Duke Blue - jersey in the fall. It may have saved my life that day.

Hey! Let's be careful out there!

-jk

Duke4Ever32
09-18-2008, 06:48 PM
I'm not a hunter, but I'm not "against" it either...but this story just makes me sad.

Agreed. This whole thread pretty much makes me just want to go vomit.

EarlJam
09-18-2008, 07:11 PM
I'll certainly never forget that fall day a few years ago: I was riding my mountain bike on a beautiful trail, fabulous surroundings, fall colors, gorgeous views, in Roaring Gap in the NC mountains. I've put in hundreds of miles on the trails there.

I came around a bend, face-to-arrow with a bow hunter.

Yikes!

Thank the good Lord he was sober. We chatted a few minutes. Then I rode on and he continued his wait. In balance, I have to say bow hunters seem a bit more diligent than gun hunters, probably of necessity as it's much closer work.

I can't stand blaze orange (Clemson, UVA, et al; we do what we gotta do!), so I ride in an electric blue - almost, but not quite, Duke Blue - jersey in the fall. It may have saved my life that day.

Hey! Let's be careful out there!

-jk

This raises a fairly good question: If you hunt and down a Moderator, how do you judge its value? Deers have "points." What do Mods have?

I'm guessing Evans would be King deer, followed by Jumbo. And JK, where are you in the mix? :D

Really though, I too am glad the hunter was sober! The mods are a'ight.

-EJ

hc5duke
09-18-2008, 07:28 PM
I'm guessing Evans would be King deer, followed by Jumbo. And JK, where are you in the mix? :D

Doesn't the K in JK stand for King?

Stupid question from a non-hunter - what's a "point"? From googling around, I'm guessing it's the number of pointy ends in the antlers? I do enjoy venison, but I've never gone hunting before. My grandma raises deer in Korea and sells antlers and blood as medicine... I grew up drinking boiled deer blood, that stuff was nasty.

EarlJam
09-18-2008, 07:44 PM
Doesn't the K in JK stand for King?

Stupid question from a non-hunter - what's a "point"? From googling around, I'm guessing it's the number of pointy ends in the antlers?

That is correct. Sometimes hunters "cheat" by carving the antlers and trimming down certain parts to create the illusion of additional antler tips. This is commonly known in hunting circles as "Point Shaving."

Whew.

-EJ

bjornolf
09-18-2008, 07:46 PM
yep, number of pointy ends on the antlers. And, generally speaking, the more pointy ends, the bigger the buck, though that's not 100% accurate ALL the time. I think 15 point is about the most you'll see anywhere. I've heard of 17 or even 20 point, but those are REALLY rare.

Are you serious, EJ, do they really call it that, or is that just one of your best set up puns ever? ;)

captmojo
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
Good shot! That's akin to first ball bowling a strike or ace on the first golf round. I offer my congratulations. My first buck was harvested with a Buick.

2535Miles
09-18-2008, 08:23 PM
I don't think it's very cool to post in this thread with negative comments about hunting. While I may not share the hunters' viewpoints in this thread, I do think they deserve an opportunity to start a thread and share in their collective joy without having people comment negatively about their hobby.

If you see the title of a thread, and the title offends you, or may hint at something offensive, why bother reading the thread?

RainingThrees
09-18-2008, 08:43 PM
Yeah dude hunting is pretty cool. Me and my brother used to go out in the woods and it was pretty sweet. Always remember, not all hunters are rednecks but all rednecks are hunters. :)

Lavabe
09-18-2008, 08:56 PM
I killed my first ever buck with a bow on Monday evening, 13 pointer, weighed 190 lbs.

Gee BDJay, I thought you were a Gunner!;):D

FWIW, I can't wait for Wilson to parse that quoted sentence.:D:D

CathyCA
09-18-2008, 09:44 PM
Why does the deer have an odd number of points? I would think that it would have the same number on the left side that it has on the right side.

Do you clean your own deer or does someone clean it for you? (I guess that's the word, like cleaning fish after you catch them.) How soon after killing it do you have to prepare the meet for storage/refrigeration?

Did you hunt this deer on your own property, or do you belong to a hunting club?

What kind of arrows do you use with your bow? Were you up in a tree or hiding on the ground?

I've never been hunting, so if I sound uninformed, that's because I am uninformed. :)

Your deer had some amazingly long eyelashes.

DevilAlumna
09-18-2008, 10:29 PM
That's pretty darned cool, BDJ, and way to do it the hard(er) way, with a bow. Hope you get some tasty venison sausage out of it too!

bigj4194
09-18-2008, 11:45 PM
That's pretty darned cool, BDJ, and way to do it the hard(er) way, with a bow. Hope you get some tasty venison sausage out of it too!

Congrats! Bow hunting is a very different type of hunting than other types, so this is quite impressive in my book. and I completely agree with DA...hope you get some venison sausage. my personal favorite thing to be made out of venison :)

Jumbo
09-19-2008, 12:38 AM
I don't think it's very cool to post in this thread with negative comments about hunting. While I may not share the hunters' viewpoints in this thread, I do think they deserve an opportunity to start a thread and share in their collective joy without having people comment negatively about their hobby.

If you see the title of a thread, and the title offends you, or may hint at something offensive, why bother reading the thread?

Pardon me? This is a board for everyone. If you are strongly opposed to something (as I am to hunting, for instance), there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying so in any thread here. I'm sorry, but I can't congratulate anyone for shooting an animal for the "sport" of it. I certainly don't want to see pictures of it. And just as you say we don't have to read threads that bother us, I can say that there are plenty of hunting websites upon which to discuss hunting.

EarlJam
09-19-2008, 12:58 AM
Pardon me? This is a board for everyone. If you are strongly opposed to something (as I am to hunting, for instance), there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying so in any thread here. I'm sorry, but I can't congratulate anyone for shooting an animal for the "sport" of it. I certainly don't want to see pictures of it. And just as you say we don't have to read threads that bother us, I can say that there are plenty of hunting websites upon which to discuss hunting.

Isn't it great to see such difference of opinions openly debated without censorship or infractions, just because you disagree with someone's belief?

I applaud Jumbo, the mods, for not removing this post or censoring it or delivering an infraction to 2535 Miles. Jumbo, the mods, addressed it straight up and were not overly sensitive. The way it should be.

Kudos.

-EJ

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 08:27 AM
Why does the deer have an odd number of points? I would think that it would have the same number on the left side that it has on the right side.

Do you clean your own deer or does someone clean it for you? (I guess that's the word, like cleaning fish after you catch them.) How soon after killing it do you have to prepare the meet for storage/refrigeration?

Did you hunt this deer on your own property, or do you belong to a hunting club?

What kind of arrows do you use with your bow? Were you up in a tree or hiding on the ground?

I've never been hunting, so if I sound uninformed, that's because I am uninformed. :)

Your deer had some amazingly long eyelashes.

So many to answer, so little time :)

Deer can have an odd number of points for many reasons. Mine looked like he had already broken off part of one antler resulting in only 13 instead of 14. They don't always grow symetrical either.

Cleaned it myself, dad taught me how to do that when I was maybe 8-10 years old, so we do that all ourselves. We put the meat in the freezer the same night that we clean it (also called 'skinning it' around here)

Shot him on our farm, so it was our land, and I was up in what is called a 'ladder stand', probably 25-30 feet off the ground. He never saw me once until I let the arrow go. I use carbon arrows, these were generic with generic broadheads in them, but they did the trick just fine :) Carbons cost about $60 for a set of 6.

And no problem, I love trying to educate people about hunting, if they are willing to listen. I've been doing it for about 25 years or so now myself, but until now, never harvested a buck with my bow.

And thanks for the compliment to my deer, I'll pass that along to him when I see him again tonight over dinner ;) hehe

As for making someone sick, if it bothers you, then I can remove the thread. Hunting is a huge part of my life, and I felt close enough to some on this board to share my joy over what is an event of a lifetime for me.

To Jumbo's post, I don't hunt deer for the 'sport' of it alone. I have never shot a deer and just left it laying, saying "woo hoo, next!" There is a rather poor family in our community with 5 small children and every deer we do harvest here, the meat goes to them and it is put to good use. There is a HUGE difference between a hunter and a poacher, so please do not confuse me with the latter. As for the deer being 'defensless animals', deer destroy our vegetation on our farm, and adversly affect our income every year, so while I am very excited to have killed such a huge buck (which will be mounted in the living room by the way), I would have also shot him had it only been a 4 pointer, etc. We do have to control the population of them as well, or you'd see ALOT more instances like CaptMojo's, taking them down with a car and destroying the car in most cases.

To DevilAlumna and bigj, thank you for the kind words. I've always felt the same way and thats why I love to bow hunt WAY moreso than with a gun. With a gun, I don't feel it's fair almost, and I equate that to sniping honestly. With bows, you have to scout all offseason, find where the deer are, monitor them, THEN after all that prep, you still have to be lucky enough that the ones you want come close enough to get off a shot at them. In this case, he was 25 yards away from me when I shot.

Thanks again for all the replies, and again Jumbo, if you feel the thread needs to be deleted, have at it. As I said before, it was a moment of joy in my life (which have been rare these days for me with the custody issues and divorce going on) and I felt close enough to several posters on this board to want to share it with them. I tried to not be too indepth about the process of it all, so as to not offend anyone.

To those of you who don't mind hunting, if you'd like to read the full story of my hunt, I DID post that over at Buckmasters.com, here is the link.

http://www.buckmasters.com/bm/Community/Forums/tabid/60/view/topic/postid/24660/ptarget/24717/Default.aspx (scroll to the top for my post there, HurricaneJay)

Oh and one last thing regarding the eating, I do keep a little bit of the meat of each one, and I typically make jerky out of it, but this time I kept what would be considered the 'tenderloin' so who knows how we will prepare it.

bjornolf
09-19-2008, 08:34 AM
Hey, if he keeps the meat and eats it all, or at least gives it away to someone who will, how is it shooting the animal just for the sport of it? Also, I can't speak for where he lives, but where I live in Northern Virginia, we have a SERIOUS deer overpopulation problem. In Fairfax county where there is no legalized hunting, they end up having to send the police snipers out every year to shoot several (most of those boys are hunters anyway, so they love it). The deet are starving to death for lack of food because there are so many, and they have started wandering out into the high speed roads in large numbers and getting hit. So, around here at least, the argument comes down to "is it more cruel to shoot and kill them quickly, or let them slowly starve to death or get hit by cars where they might hurt people too?"

Oh, and to answer someone's question (I think it was CathyCA), you call it "dressing". Like they talk about Palin and say she can "field-dress a moose". That means she does the initial cleaning and preparing right there, or at least at her camp nearby. It probably has something to do with where you live and the local lingo.

As for the odd number of points, you'll have to ask someone else. I'm not sure. I DO know that they break them off sometimes either fighting for mating rights or in protecting themselves (or in colliding with automobiles). I have seen them with even numbers before, but whether they grow even and some get broken to get odd, or they grow odd and some are broken to get even, I couldn't tell you.

I liked your comments on the bow hunting vs. rifle hunting. Also, if there's only one of you shooting, you only get one shot with a rifle. One of the advantages to bow hunting is that it's quiet. If you're really good and lucky and get a quick kill with the first arrow and the target doesn't make much noise and it's in a loose-knit group, you might get a second shot off before they bolt. I've never personally done it, as I've never bow hunted (I've really only been hunting once or twice), but I have known people who tell me it's possible.

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 08:51 AM
I liked your comments on the bow hunting vs. rifle hunting. Also, if there's only one of you shooting, you only get one shot with a rifle. One of the advantages to bow hunting is that it's quiet. If you're really good and lucky and get a quick kill with the first arrow and the target doesn't make much noise and it's in a loose-knit group, you might get a second shot off before they bolt. I've never personally done it, as I've never bow hunted (I've really only been hunting once or twice), but I have known people who tell me it's possible.

I've heard of that happening before too, but its obviously never happened to me. And after shooting this one, shooting at another would have been a total letdown. Now I HAVE shot at one before and missed, and my shot didn't startle the deer enough for it to run, so I loaded up again, drew back, and hit my target on the 2nd shot. They are a LOAD of work to 'clean' or 'dress', whichever you prefer, so I can't imagine having to drag two 190 lb deer out of the woods, THEN do the harder part of cleaning them. As my favorite uncle (who just passed a week ago btw) always said in regards to deer hunting, "The fun is over right after you shoot" :) I always thought that was so funny, and yet very true, except for the freaking HIGH I got from being a local celebrity this whole week. Some of my friends have made POSTERS of this deer :)

As for your first paragraph, Amen.

In regards to this thread possibly offending, I was very careful with my initial posting to not be graphic, not post any pics to the thread itself, as to be sensitive to those who do not like hunting or find it offensive. Hence the reason I said if you wanna see pics, click here, and didn't throw any bloody mess photos in anyones face. I really don't see how I could have done it any more delicately. As for saying there are hunting boards....I thought this was a board for ANYTHING (off topic), unless its lewd or something.

Thanks again to you all for reading and commenting.

UVaAmbassador
09-19-2008, 09:04 AM

It is a board for everyone. While you obviously have the right to post your opposition to hunting, it doesn't exactly make for the inclusive environment you're alluding to. I respect that you may be "strongly opposed" to hunting, but I would think that's a reason to avoid the thread, not try to spoil it for others. Out of curiousity, would you support a passionate vegan repeatedly posting in the recipe thread every time a non-vegan recipe was posted? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with veganism, but part of creating an inclusive environment is letting those with a differing viewpoint discuss amongst themselves without having to constantly defend their right to do so. Its not morally wrong for you to post, just impolite (IMHO.)

As for hunting for the sport of it, and your reference to the pictures, I think these points have already been more than adequately addressed.

Referring to hunting websites is a subtle way of inviting others to get off the board because you don't like the topic they're discussion. Seems to be pretty inconsistent with "This is a board for everyone."

CathyCA
09-19-2008, 09:17 AM
BDJ, thanks for your patient explanation. I've never gone hunting. My family has a tree farm down in the southeastern part of the state and we lease part of the farm out to a hunting club every year. I'm too scared to hunt--the guns, the snakes, mosquitos, ticks, cold weather, etc., but I'm glad that I've learned something about hunting today.

I hope that when you get your deer mounted that your taxidermist makes sure to preserve those eyelashes.

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 09:42 AM
It is a board for everyone. While you obviously have the right to post your opposition to hunting, it doesn't exactly make for the inclusive environment you're alluding to. I respect that you may be "strongly opposed" to hunting, but I would think that's a reason to avoid the thread, not try to spoil it for others. Out of curiousity, would you support a passionate vegan repeatedly posting in the recipe thread every time a non-vegan recipe was posted? Don't get me wrong, there's nothing wrong with veganism, but part of creating an inclusive environment is letting those with a differing viewpoint discuss amongst themselves without having to constantly defend their right to do so. Its not morally wrong for you to post, just impolite (IMHO.)

As for hunting for the sport of it, and your reference to the pictures, I think these points have already been more than adequately addressed.

Referring to hunting websites is a subtle way of inviting others to get off the board because you don't like the topic they're discussion. Seems to be pretty inconsistent with "This is a board for everyone."

Dang...I really wasn't trying to cause any conflicts in here by posting this. I DO realize there are those who are against hunting, etc, hence the reason I tried to be very vague with my first post, and also didn't upload any photos to the thread itself, so those that didn't want to see, weren't forced to, especially if they clicked on the thread out of curiousity and would have then been presented with an eyeful of something that made them sick. If I posted something wrong, please let me know and I'll delete it or please delete it yourself. I do agree with you though UVA, in that I didn't see any harm whatsoever in posting this thread, I seriously had no bad intentions. But I do feel the same way UVA felt, when the comment about 'taking it to a hunting board' was made. I have done so and will make sure I do so from here on out.

CathyCA, no problem at all, like I said, I'm very passionate about hunting, I guess you could say I was raised with it being just a normal part of life for me. And anyone who asks me about it and wants to know details about it, I'll gladly explain what I can to them, as I am by no means any sort of expert in any sense of the word. If you have any other questions, by all means let me know and I'll try to answer them :)

gus
09-19-2008, 09:55 AM

Without putting words in Jumbo's mouth, I don't really see why your objecting to his post. If you want to discuss hunting in an enironment where people won't post objections to hunting, a hunting board is a good place to post.

While I'm not a fan of hunting (particularly not as a "sport"), I find feed lots and industrialized slaughter FAR more objectionable. I struggle to see how someone can object to hunting and still eat meat. Personally, I think the only way I could conceive of eating an animal is if I killed and cleaned it myself. One of my many objections to the meat industry is how it separates humans from nature- meat becomes a shrink-wrapped product and many people have no real sense of where it came from.

allenmurray
09-19-2008, 10:45 AM
It is a board for everyone. While you obviously have the right to post your opposition to hunting, it doesn't exactly make for the inclusive environment you're alluding to.

If it is a "board for everyone" then it is a board for both those who enjoy hunting and those who choose to criticize it. Asking folks to refrain from posting doesn't exactly make for an inclusive environment either.

Even if you eat the meat, hunting deer is still "hunting for sport". Most hunters have far more invested in their equipment than they will ever get in terms of value of the meat. It is not like folks who hunt deer ( or most folks) do so because otherwise they would be hungry. OTOH I have no probelm with hunting deer for sport given how incredibly overpopulted they are. They have no natural predators left - in some areas deer actually die of disease brought on by malnutrition. Folks who manage duke forest have reported entire acres of forest where there is NO vegetation to a height of four feet. And according to my insurance adjuster, everybody in North Carolina hunts deer, some with rifles, some with bows, some with their cars.

alteran
09-19-2008, 10:59 AM
Read an article this week about how Duke Forest is overrun with deer, and they're opening it up to some deer hunters. They said it's averaging 81 deer/sqmi I believe. I'd hate to be jogging the trails when the hunters come through....

Nice shot Jay.

Yeah, I live next to DF and the deer are everywhere. They're about to form their own government.

As someone who used to work in an ICU, please remember to wear your orange prominently and don't carry the deer over your shoulders. I could always tell by looking at the charts when it was hunting season.

Not sure I want to see pictures, but more power to ya, BDJ-- and very impressed by your bow usage. I'll give you a wider berth on the PPB. :D

UVaAmbassador
09-19-2008, 11:01 AM
If it is a "board for everyone" then it is a board for both those who enjoy hunting and those who choose to criticize it. Asking folks to refrain from posting doesn't exactly make for an inclusive environment either.

To be clear, I wasn't asking anyone to stop posting. I simply think context is important. If the thread was on the merits or morality of hunting, then a post criticizing same is totally appropriate. In fact, if you think hunting is immoral, by all means, start a thread and people can debate it. This wasn't a post about that though. It wasn't meant to be a contentious thread, it didn't force anything on anyone, and I think courtesy says you don't turn it into an ethics brawl.

If someone starts a thread in a couple months generically wishing other people a Merry Christmas, I'd hope no one would chime in with posts lambasting Christmas as a symptom of the plague of capitalism or an exclusionary tool to marginalize non Christian religious viewpoints; or at least, if someone wanted to express such opinions, that they'd start a seperate thread for that purpose. Maybe I'm wrong; maybe I'm in the minority here; but I just don't think every thread has to turn into a fight.

allenmurray
09-19-2008, 11:35 AM
If someone starts a thread in a couple months generically wishing other people a Merry Christmas, I'd hope no one would chime in with posts lambasting Christmas as a symptom of the plague of capitalism

Except that Christmas is a symptom of the plague of capitalism :)

but I just don't think every thread has to turn into a fight.

I agree, and I think the best way to avoid that would have been to ignore Jumbo's post.

allenmurray
09-19-2008, 11:42 AM
Oh, and to answer someone's question (I think it was CathyCA), you call it "dressing". Like they talk about Palin and say she can "field-dress a moose".

My son (9 years old) and I were riding in the car just yesterday and NPR was doing an interview with a moose hunter in Alaska. He talked about having to "dress" the moose. Dan turned to me with a quizzical look and said, "they have to put clothes on it after they kill it?" It was a great moment.

UVaAmbassador
09-19-2008, 11:44 AM
I agree, and I think the best way to avoid that would have been to ignore Jumbo's post.

Touche

Indoor66
09-19-2008, 12:03 PM
My son (9 years old) and I were riding in the car just yesterday and NPR was doing an interview with a moose hunter in Alaska. He talked about having to "dress" the moose. Dan turned to me with a quizzical look and said, "they have to put clothes on it after they kill it?" It was a great moment.

Field dressing includes bleeding the animal and then gutting it. Details here: http://hgic.clemson.edu/factsheets/hgic3516.htm

It is also called "dressing" when lumber is prepared for use in cabinet making and furniture use or bringing the lumber to specific tolerances.

"A few things to be aware of when ordering lumber. First make sure you specify whether you want rough or dressed stock. The main advantage with rough stock is it give you the flexiblity(sic) to dress the wood as you choose. You aren't limited to standard dimensions. Rough stock will cost less up front, but will take some time in the shop to prepare. Plus if you don't have all the proper tools for dressing lumber it may be more hassle then it is worth." http://www.contentmart.com/articles/20095/1/Lumber-101/Page1.html

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 12:05 PM

Touche
Maybe the best way to avoid all of this would've been for me to not offer my opinion that I didn't think it was cool to post negative comments about hunting in this thread.

To BlueDevilJay, and others interested in contributing to the spirit of the thread, please accept my most sincere apology for posting a comment that lead to the hijacking of the thread. Continue on.

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 02:23 PM
Not sure I want to see pictures, but more power to ya, BDJ-- and very impressed by your bow usage. I'll give you a wider berth on the PPB. :D

Yes, be very wary of my amazing archery skills......

http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/picture.php?albumid=4&pictureid=239

Hehehe. Just kidding of course. Just wanted to show off my also amazing artistic abilities. :D

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Yeah, I live next to DF and the deer are everywhere. They're about to form their own government.

As someone who used to work in an ICU, please remember to wear your orange prominently and don't carry the deer over your shoulders. I could always tell by looking at the charts when it was hunting season.

Oh and thanks for this advice as well. I pride myself on my hunter's safety 'ethics' so to speak, so your words do not all on deaf ears here. I actually assist my cousin in teaching the NC Wildlife certification for Hunter's Safety. Its very sad when these 'accidents' happen because they could very easily be avoided if people respected the weapons they carry like they should.

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 02:38 PM

Hehehe. Just kidding of course. Just wanted to show off my also amazing artistic abilities. :D
I didn't know Alteran was a Knight who says Ni. Sweet!

sue71, esq
09-19-2008, 02:40 PM

Congrats! Are you selling copies of your artwork? ;)

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 03:17 PM
I didn't know Alteran was a Knight who says Ni. Sweet!

He isn't, he is one of the Knights who formerly said Ni! but now says Icky Icky Pi tang bom....(and so on and so forth)

To Sue, I plan on opening up my gallery shortly :) Glad yall all took that as the joke it was intended to be, and not a threat on Alteran's life :) Plus, if he's more than 25 yards from me, I'd miss for sure, so no worries Alteran! :p

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 03:27 PM
Plus, if he's more than 25 yards from me, I'd miss for sure, so no worries Alteran! :p
In this case, I suggest you Consult the Book of Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one.

DukieInKansas
09-19-2008, 03:39 PM
He isn't, he is one of the Knights who formerly said Ni! but now says Icky Icky Pi tang bom....(and so on and so forth)

To Sue, I plan on opening up my gallery shortly :) Glad yall all took that as the joke it was intended to be, and not a threat on Alteran's life :) Plus, if he's more than 25 yards from me, I'd miss for sure, so no worries Alteran! :p

What type of gallery - art or shooting? :D

If art, can I hire you to do my portrait? Can I get a venison steak to go with it? (I must confess to never trying venison.)

If shooting, I request the moving yellow ducks for my target.

BlueDevilJay
09-19-2008, 04:05 PM
In this case, I suggest you Consult the Book of Armaments, chapter two, verses nine through twenty-one.

Lob the holy grenade on the count of three......not one, not two, but three.....lol, I love it!

alteran
09-19-2008, 04:15 PM

I laughed my pottymouth off!!!

alteran
09-19-2008, 04:19 PM

Also, it's not alteran season for at least another three months. I'll make sure to detour around Yadkinville in that time frame. :D

TillyGalore
09-19-2008, 04:23 PM
I laughed my pottymouth off!!!

So then you don't have a pottymouth anymore. How did you get rid of my pottymouth? ;):)