PDA

View Full Version : Duke Football on Sportscenter

footballfan2
09-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Just saw a 1-2 minute bit on Duke Football on ESPN Sportscenter. Highlighted that Duke is 2-1 and mentioned Thad Lewis and Riley. I think that's the first time I've seen Duke Football talked in such a positive fashion on ESPN since 1994.

I actually ended up watching the Navy game in person. Several quick thoughts:

1) Duke's Offensive Line was terrible. They got no push... did not dominate the line of scrimmage. This is even more depressing since Navy basically ran a 3-3-5 defense all game long with occasional LBs blitzing. How can 5 offensive linemen not dominate 3 defensive linemen? I constantly saw the pocket collapse around Thad Lewis, and the blitzing LBs were constantly getting hits on Lewis. It was clear that Navy had no respect for our running game and were defending the pass. Yet still we could not run the ball.

2) Thad Lewis. I thought he played a great game.... especially since he was under a lot of pressure on a good number of plays. He also seemed pretty mobile. Had to roll out of the pocket multiple times to avoid taking the sack. This might work against a team like Navy, but against better teams expecting Lewis to be able to roll out and throw a completion ain't going to happen. If only he had a better O-line and better RBs, Lewis would be putting up sick numbers.

3) Defense. I saw a lot of things. Never really saw our D-line put pressure on the QB (without the help of LBs). I did see #3 several time however put some sporadic pressure on the QB, but he only seemed to take about 60-65% of the snaps. Our DEs (specifically #99) were having a very hard time supporting the run defense. They were unable to provide lateral containment. However, the main thing I saw was ... overall lack of team speed on defense. Hopefully this should be corrected in coming recruiting classes.
I did see the defense make some very nice second half adjustments against Navy's option. That was good.

4) This team is far better coached than in years prior. They play with discipline (although they did give up 2 huge plays). Overall I was impressed. If Duke can continue to have good recruiting classes (SPEED!), Duke could possibly be like a Wake Forest. That would be awesome.

I think if this team ends up winning a total of 4 games... I would consider this a good season. They should be able to beat Virginia and NC State. I'm not too sure where another win can come from, but maybe they can surprise Ga Tech. I do not see this team beating Virginia Tech, UNC, or Miami.

Inonehand
09-18-2008, 11:14 AM
Just saw a 1-2 minute bit on Duke Football on ESPN Sportscenter. Highlighted that Duke is 2-1 and mentioned Thad Lewis and Riley. I think that's the first time I've seen Duke Football talked in such a positive fashion on ESPN since 1994.

I actually ended up watching the Navy game in person. Several quick thoughts:

1) Duke's Offensive Line was terrible. They got no push... did not dominate the line of scrimmage. This is even more depressing since Navy basically ran a 3-3-5 defense all game long with occasional LBs blitzing. How can 5 offensive linemen not dominate 3 defensive linemen? I constantly saw the pocket collapse around Thad Lewis, and the blitzing LBs were constantly getting hits on Lewis. It was clear that Navy had no respect for our running game and were defending the pass. Yet still we could not run the ball.

2) Thad Lewis. I thought he played a great game.... especially since he was under a lot of pressure on a good number of plays. He also seemed pretty mobile. Had to roll out of the pocket multiple times to avoid taking the sack. This might work against a team like Navy, but against better teams expecting Lewis to be able to roll out and throw a completion ain't going to happen. If only he had a better O-line and better RBs, Lewis would be putting up sick numbers.

3) Defense. I saw a lot of things. Never really saw our D-line put pressure on the QB (without the help of LBs). I did see #3 several time however put some sporadic pressure on the QB, but he only seemed to take about 60-65% of the snaps. Our DEs (specifically #99) were having a very hard time supporting the run defense. They were unable to provide lateral containment. However, the main thing I saw was ... overall lack of team speed on defense. Hopefully this should be corrected in coming recruiting classes.
I did see the defense make some very nice second half adjustments against Navy's option. That was good.

4) This team is far better coached than in years prior. They play with discipline (although they did give up 2 huge plays). Overall I was impressed. If Duke can continue to have good recruiting classes (SPEED!), Duke could possibly be like a Wake Forest. That would be awesome.

I think if this team ends up winning a total of 4 games... I would consider this a good season. They should be able to beat Virginia and NC State. I'm not too sure where another win can come from, but maybe they can surprise Ga Tech. I do not see this team beating Virginia Tech, UNC, or Miami.

Next win will be Virginia. I'm no football expert but I don't think it is the job of the defensive line to create a lot of pressure on the quarterback against an option attack.

footballfan2
09-18-2008, 11:27 AM
Next win will be Virginia. I'm no football expert but I don't think it is the job of the defensive line to create a lot of pressure on the quarterback against an option attack.

not true. the DEs need to contain the QB and the DTs and Mike need to control the dive. The Weak and Strong LBs need to contain the pitch. In the first half the DEs where getting no QB containment. This led our LBs to over compensate and try to defend the QB and the RB during the option play. We got burned a lot.

One thing i almost forget... Lewis is a junior right? He should be able to call his own audible. The people around me were constantly groining after our offense would "look-up" to the sideline to get the offensive play after the Defense was set. I admit it was a tad annoying, but maybe because it was so hot that day.

ehdg
09-18-2008, 11:44 AM
One thing i almost forget... Lewis is a junior right? He should be able to call his own audible. The people around me were constantly groining after our offense would "look-up" to the sideline to get the offensive play after the Defense was set. I admit it was a tad annoying, but maybe because it was so hot that day.

Yes Thad is a Junior but don't forget it's his and the teams first time with Coach Cut and his offensive coaches. This was only our third game and he probably still learning the new system and needs help with which audibles to go with depending on the Defensive alignment he's looking at.

dukeimac
09-18-2008, 11:48 AM
It depends on the type of defense you run.

If the team runs an option attack it is best to run a five man front. The NG and DT with the LB stopping the run up the middle. The DE either make the QB keep the ball and cut it up with the LB or safety coming up to make the stop. Or the DE forces a deeper pitch giving the CB time to come up and stop the run with the LB and Safety giving support to stop any long runs.

If you run a 3 or 4 man front with the outside LB on the side of the run needs to play the roll of the DEs.

The defensive strategy in playing against an option attack is to just string the play out by making the QB commit to the pitch early. If your line backers don't commit and the DEs don't get caught up going inside the offensive end it isn't a problem.

But the defense must be disciplined. Meaning the LB can't be fooled with the run up the middle and must be quick enough to react to the outside and the DE must resist the straight line to the QB or they will get caught up inside the offensive end thus not forcing the QB to commit to early or making a deeper pitch.

BigDuke6
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
not true. the DEs need to contain the QB and the DTs and Mike need to control the dive. The Weak and Strong LBs need to contain the pitch. In the first half the DEs where getting no QB containment. This led our LBs to over compensate and try to defend the QB and the RB during the option play. We got burned a lot.

This is not an audible. This is how the offense is designed. The offense goes no huddle and quickly lines up. If the defense is not set they have a hot play to run. If the defense is set, the skill players will look to the sidelines for the play call. The coaching staff would have had time to look at the defensive formation (from the press box) and will signal in the call. (One coach for QB/backs and another for receivers.) A very efficient way of running the offense if you ask me. No delay of game penalties, illeagal substitution, etc. There are at least 20 seconds on the play clock to get the ball snapped. Plus, it can wear down a defense and keep them from a lot of substitutions.

Defenserules
09-18-2008, 02:08 PM
But your observations on what Navy was doing on Defense are exactly the opposite of what they actually did. It was pretty clear from watching the game in person and on replay and hearing our coaches comments, that Navy was keying in on the run and sending their Linebackers almost every play. They clearly made the stopping the run their top priority. That's why the middle of the field was so open because the LBs weren't dropping back into coverage at all. I will agree that the O-Line wasn't stellar on the run but it wasn't the three on five battles that were referenced in the first post. The O-Line did a decent job on pass protection in light of the blitzes I thought. Navy was also sending corners etc more than most teams will if we continue to have as much success passing the ball as we have had thus far. Of course I and I am sure Coach Cut are both big believers that the best passing teams have to run the ball well, so I am hoping that the running game will be a point of emphasis in practice this week. As for the Navy game I am sure their coaches watched the previous two games and felt like TOP was important if they were going to win so they were willing to give up the pass if it meant stuffing the run and getting us off the field quicker. That's not how it worked out for them but that was likely their strategy.

footballfan2
09-18-2008, 03:14 PM
But your observations on what Navy was doing on Defense are exactly the opposite of what they actually did. It was pretty clear from watching the game in person and on replay and hearing our coaches comments, that Navy was keying in on the run and sending their Linebackers almost every play. They clearly made the stopping the run their top priority. That's why the middle of the field was so open because the LBs weren't dropping back into coverage at all. I will agree that the O-Line wasn't stellar on the run but it wasn't the three on five battles that were referenced in the first post. The O-Line did a decent job on pass protection in light of the blitzes I thought. Navy was also sending corners etc more than most teams will if we continue to have as much success passing the ball as we have had thus far. Of course I and I am sure Coach Cut are both big believers that the best passing teams have to run the ball well, so I am hoping that the running game will be a point of emphasis in practice this week. As for the Navy game I am sure their coaches watched the previous two games and felt like TOP was important if they were going to win so they were willing to give up the pass if it meant stuffing the run and getting us off the field quicker. That's not how it worked out for them but that was likely their strategy.

Sorry but I have to disagree. You don't line up in a 3-3-5 to stop the run. That defense is designed to specifically stop a "spread" type offense. The LBs blitzing isn't to stop the run... it's to put pressure and sack the QB. Lewis was able to defeat by rolling out, throwing quick hitches, slants, and of course running the ball a few times.

Duke has no running game to speak of. We have a very good QB and some good WRs. Why would any team focus on stopping to run... when it doesn't really exist.

Also it wasn't really 5 O-Line vs 3 D-Line. You have to count the RB as a blocker too. But to be fair, Navy's LBs were blitzing a fair amount.

footballfan2
09-18-2008, 03:18 PM
This is not an audible. This is how the offense is designed. The offense goes no huddle and quickly lines up. If the defense is not set they have a hot play to run. If the defense is set, the skill players will look to the sidelines for the play call. The coaching staff would have had time to look at the defensive formation (from the press box) and will signal in the call. (One coach for QB/backs and another for receivers.) A very efficient way of running the offense if you ask me. No delay of game penalties, illeagal substitution, etc. There are at least 20 seconds on the play clock to get the ball snapped. Plus, it can wear down a defense and keep them from a lot of substitutions.

Ok this makes a bit more sense.

But seems to have several flaws:
1) The O-line never looked up. Shouldn't they know the play too... especially if it's a running play?

2) Seems like this would lead the opponent to be able to read the signals.

BigDuke6
09-18-2008, 03:42 PM
Ok this makes a bit more sense.

But seems to have several flaws:
1) The O-line never looked up. Shouldn't they know the play too... especially if it's a running play?

2) Seems like this would lead the opponent to be able to read the signals.

1.) Blocking schemes can be relayed to the offensive line through the QB's cadence. Also you'll notice that the center will hear the cadence and look at the defensive front. He will then point out blocking assignmnets to other linemen with his off hand. (The one without the ball.) He is the captain of the linemen and will ensure the line picks up blitzes for different fronts or setup blocks for running plays.

2.) The coaches use a key signal (or gesture) mixed in with a bunch of other signals. Based on what the key is and when it appears in the group of signals determines the play. Key signals can be changed week to week, half to half, or series to series.

DukeUsul
09-18-2008, 04:02 PM
Did anyone else feel like I did watching last game that Cut should put in the hard count in the playbook to draw the D offside? It seems like it'd fit right in with the no huddle.

bdh21
09-18-2008, 04:07 PM
2.) The coaches use a key signal (or gesture) mixed in with a bunch of other signals. Based on what the key is and when it appears in the group of signals determines the play. Key signals can be changed week to week, half to half, or series to series.

a la...

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:Gv-oTtM7Hyl_oM:http://www.simpsoncrazy.com/episodeguide/8F13.jpg

gotham devil
09-18-2008, 04:13 PM
Here it is:

http://mountaineers.fandome.com/watch/104213/Mel_Kiper_Jrs_QB_Stock_Report/?q=k

Thad Riley and Eron Riley

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 06:09 PM
Thanks for the find Gotham, cool stuff.

Defenserules
09-18-2008, 06:18 PM
I'm not trying to discount your knowledge of the game but..... a 3-3-5 can stop the run if you blitz and send corners a lot. They sent their backers a ton which left the middle of the field open. I saw some quotes on the internet from the weekly press conference where Coach basically says the same thing about them trying to stop the run and doing a lot of weird stunting. I promise I'm not making it up here. Also the running backs in the first half were slipping out for passes until we decided we needed the extra blocker in the second half so there were a lot of mismatches.

My final statement and I don't want to sound like a jerk here but prior to the Navy game Duke had two really great running games. If I am not mistaking after two games we were half way to the total rushing yard average for the entire season last year. We were averaging nearly 200 yards a game before Navy and still are averaging a respectable rushing average even after the navy performance. To say that Duke doesn't have any running game to speak of is simply not true for what we've actually seen happen this season on the field. Sure that was true in the past, but this year our running game has been a stregnth and Navy had every reason to emphasize stopping the run. 1) the run sets up the pass in Cutcliffe's offense as far as I can tell and I think his years at UT show that he emphasizes running 2) Navy understood that we are faster and they would have a hard time containing our receivers so they were sending tons of people in hopes of stopping the running and getting to the QB. Cutcliffe seems like one of those coaches that is very keen on keeping an offensive schedule i.e. 2 and 6 or less 3 and 3 or less etc... stopping the run on first down really disrupts that schedule.

Again I'm not saying we ran the ball well on Saturday, but we did run the ball very well in the first two games and I expect that we will run the ball well against UVA.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 06:34 PM
My final statement and I don't want to sound like a jerk here but prior to the Navy game Duke had two really great running games. If I am not mistaking after two games we were half way to the total rushing yard average for the entire season last year. Again I'm not saying we ran the ball well on Saturday, but we did run the ball very well in the first two games and I expect that we will run the ball well against UVA.

Very true, we had great outings in our first two games, Navy did a very good job of preparing and stopping Duke. I wish we could have adjusted better, like our defense adjusted to their run in the second half. Duke does have a running game for the first time in a long while, but Navy has proven that they have some stuff to work on. Cutcliffe made note of that in his post game. So you can bet on one of the things they are working on this week.

Uncle Drew
09-18-2008, 08:09 PM
1.) Blocking schemes can be relayed to the offensive line through the QB's cadence. Also you'll notice that the center will hear the cadence and look at the defensive front. He will then point out blocking assignmnets to other linemen with his off hand. (The one without the ball.) He is the captain of the linemen and will ensure the line picks up blitzes for different fronts or setup blocks for running plays.

Okay you both sound like you know what you're talking about and it almost sounds like ya'll are saying very similar things to varying degrees. I do know about football even played a little, so it isn't like this question is coming from a person from Estonia. But #1 kind of confused me, so at the risk of sounding like an idiot I will go ahead and ask.

The center is the Mack Daddy of the offensive line, I knew that much. Please give me a scenario (fictitional is fine) how the cadence from the QB can be relayed to the center as who blocks whom. We have all seen the center point out assignments in games (that kind of gets awkward pointing to your right with your left hand or the other way around) but we've all also seen defensive linemen switch it up as the play is being called. Is the center calling out to block a player or an area of the field kind of like a zone defense?

Then when there is a blitz who is calling out assignments then? By that I mean a lot of times a fullback or running back will be in charge picking up part of the blitz. Where is he getting his assignment from? Is he just suposed to watch and block the first guy who gets through or does he have a player assigned in the scheme?

I'm glad I was a reciever. Blocking schemes sound really bloody complicated. And I'm just thinking about pass protection right now. Making a hole for a running back seems like it gets even more complicated, but what do I know. Any further explanation would be appreciated and thanks beforehand.

DukieBoy
09-18-2008, 08:21 PM
kinda off subject but i read this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/09/17/cfb.mailbag/2.html) today on sports illustrated about duke football. it mentioned the possibility of duke-unc being for the division title (very very optimistic thinking i no) it's on page 3 under the letter about unc's game against rutgers

throatybeard
09-18-2008, 08:29 PM
This discussion demonstrates why FB is a massively more complex game than BB.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-18-2008, 08:41 PM
Footballfan2 - welcome to the board! Please post more. And I must say that the discussions above about the good and bad about what we've seen so far, specifically the running game, and/or lack there of, the line play, etc., has been most civil and respectful, as it should be, and I commend both you and those who have discussed it with you for that.

You are not the first person who was at the game wonder why we could not run against Navy's 3-man front, so your observation is correct. The reasons given above are also most reasonable why we couldn't run against it.

Another point on that is, our starting running back has yet to play a down this year. Re'quan Boyette has been the starter for most of the last two years, and is better, faster and quicker than Clifford Harris, and our other 2 running backs seeing time are a converted DB and a true freshman, each of whom has had nice moments. Harris is more of a Jimmy Kiick type halfback, if you remember Kiick from the Miami Dolphins in the early 70's. Kiick was an "up the middle" tough runner playing halfback (same as me, one reason why I wore #21, but that's another story...). Speed and quickness were never his forte'.

Again, welcome to the boards. See you in Wallace Wade on the 27th.

Bob Green
09-18-2008, 08:42 PM
This discussion demonstrates why FB is a massively more complex game than BB.

But BB is a massively more interesting game than FB. :D

OZZIE4DUKE
09-18-2008, 08:46 PM
kinda off subject but i read this (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/stewart_mandel/09/17/cfb.mailbag/2.html) today on sports illustrated about duke football. it mentioned the possibility of duke-unc being for the division title (very very optimistic thinking i KnoW) it's on page 3 under the letter about unc's game against rutgers

Now that kind of thinking sounds a lot like me! :D

RainingThrees
09-18-2008, 08:48 PM
Definately. Although I am a football fan I'm a much bigger basketball soccer fan. I just can't get into a sport where there is constant stoppage that much more than a sport where there is almost constant action.

BigDuke6
09-18-2008, 09:37 PM
Okay you both sound like you know what you're talking about and it almost sounds like ya'll are saying very similar things to varying degrees. I do know about football even played a little, so it isn't like this question is coming from a person from Estonia. But #1 kind of confused me, so at the risk of sounding like an idiot I will go ahead and ask.

The center is the Mack Daddy of the offensive line, I knew that much. Please give me a scenario (fictitional is fine) how the cadence from the QB can be relayed to the center as who blocks whom. We have all seen the center point out assignments in games (that kind of gets awkward pointing to your right with your left hand or the other way around) but we've all also seen defensive linemen switch it up as the play is being called. Is the center calling out to block a player or an area of the field kind of like a zone defense?

Then when there is a blitz who is calling out assignments then? By that I mean a lot of times a fullback or running back will be in charge picking up part of the blitz. Where is he getting his assignment from? Is he just suposed to watch and block the first guy who gets through or does he have a player assigned in the scheme?

I'm glad I was a reciever. Blocking schemes sound really bloody complicated. And I'm just thinking about pass protection right now. Making a hole for a running back seems like it gets even more complicated, but what do I know. Any further explanation would be appreciated and thanks beforehand.

OK, I'll do my best. I was a receiver too and I am also glad I didn't have to worry about blocking schemes and blitzes.

The qb can give out the play by using key words in his cadence. Generally, the cadence is a color followed by a number. I say that pretty loosely because it may be different from other offenses. The quarterback can change the colors and the numbers so the different variations can describe the type of play to use. (ex. Colors could signal run or pass and the numbers could describe the side the play goes on. Remember a lineman does not have to know all the receivers routes. They only need to know which direction the qb may be rolling out or which direction the screen pass will be thrown or if it is a short/deep qb drop. For runs they need to know blocking assignments based on the play call.) The quarterback does not need to know the all blocking assignments. He may get concerned about a blitz from a middle linebacker or a safety and would then point out a potential blitzer to the O-line or RB. The qb is also responsible for outside blitzing. He needs to know (determined by the play) who will be his protection (if any at all). He may have an empty backfield and would react accordingly (focus on a quicker route, change the play to something quicker or attempt to avoid the rusher athletically).

The center could be signaling both. He could signal a potential blitzer or he could point out an area for zone blocking. It really depends on his read of the potential rush.

Now, the backs (which includes the quarterback) have to determine when and where somebody may come in unblocked and needs to be picked up. If one side of the line is overloaded (more rushers than linemen or TE's) the back and the quarterback need to recognize the mismatch. This is also determined by which side is the strong or weak side. (Generally, the side with a TE is the strong side which means there is an extra blocker or receiver on that side.) The back needs to hedge in that direction (weak side or the side where there are more rushers than blockers) after the ball is snapped to pickup the mismatch. The QB will also need to recognize this blitz and look for the hot receiver if he feels like he doesn't have enough time. The hot receiver is usually a quick passing route close to the same spot the blitzer left from. A good receiver will recognize that the defensive player that should have guarded him was on a blitz and run his route to that spot that was vacated.(Works well on a zone. If it was man to man coverage then he will generally look for a mismatch on a linebacker for a quick route.) If there were no blitzers and the defense was only rushing their front four the back could help and chip on a D-lineman (Hitting the closest rusher that is already engaged (we would hope :))without hitting them below the waste which is a flag.), or continue out into a pass pattern for a dump off.

Wow, there is a lot I said there. I'm sure I may have missed something but that is the best I could do at this hour. Who knows I may have been describing the wheel play in baseball this whole time.

gvtucker
09-18-2008, 09:38 PM

The way that most teams do it (including Duke) you not only have that key signal, you also have two separate people giving signals. In Duke's case, 3rd string QB Mike Capetto is also giving signals to the team.

PDDuke85
09-18-2008, 10:02 PM
Look, all I know is Coach Cutcliffe's birthday was Tuesday. Anyone send a card? Buy a cake? Let him know we think he's doing a great job? Show the man some love already!:D

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 10:23 PM
Look, all I know is Coach Cutcliffe's birthday was Tuesday. Anyone send a card? Buy a cake? Let him know we think he's doing a great job? Show the man some love already!:D

LOL..that made me laugh, my wife thinks I'm crazy sitting here chuckling to myself. Happy BDAY coach!

Uncle Drew
09-18-2008, 11:45 PM
OK, I'll do my best. I was a receiver too and I am also glad I didn't have to worry about blocking schemes and blitzes.

The qb can give out the play by using key words in his cadence. Generally, the cadence is a color followed by a number. I say that pretty loosely because it may be different from other offenses. The quarterback can change the colors and the numbers so the different variations can describe the type of play to use. (ex. Colors could signal run or pass and the numbers could describe the side the play goes on. Remember a lineman does not have to know all the receivers routes. They only need to know which direction the qb may be rolling out or which direction the screen pass will be thrown or if it is a short/deep qb drop. For runs they need to know blocking assignments based on the play call.) The quarterback does not need to know the all blocking assignments. He may get concerned about a blitz from a middle linebacker or a safety and would then point out a potential blitzer to the O-line or RB. The qb is also responsible for outside blitzing. He needs to know (determined by the play) who will be his protection (if any at all). He may have an empty backfield and would react accordingly (focus on a quicker route, change the play to something quicker or attempt to avoid the rusher athletically).

The center could be signaling both. He could signal a potential blitzer or he could point out an area for zone blocking. It really depends on his read of the potential rush.

Now, the backs (which includes the quarterback) have to determine when and where somebody may come in unblocked and needs to be picked up. If one side of the line is overloaded (more rushers than linemen or TE's) the back and the quarterback need to recognize the mismatch. This is also determined by which side is the strong or weak side. (Generally, the side with a TE is the strong side which means there is an extra blocker or receiver on that side.) The back needs to hedge in that direction (weak side or the side where there are more rushers than blockers) after the ball is snapped to pickup the mismatch. The QB will also need to recognize this blitz and look for the hot receiver if he feels like he doesn't have enough time. The hot receiver is usually a quick passing route close to the same spot the blitzer left from. A good receiver will recognize that the defensive player that should have guarded him was on a blitz and run his route to that spot that was vacated.(Works well on a zone. If it was man to man coverage then he will generally look for a mismatch on a linebacker for a quick route.) If there were no blitzers and the defense was only rushing their front four the back could help and chip on a D-lineman (Hitting the closest rusher that is already engaged (we would hope :))without hitting them below the waste which is a flag.), or continue out into a pass pattern for a dump off.

Wow, there is a lot I said there. I'm sure I may have missed something but that is the best I could do at this hour. Who knows I may have been describing the wheel play in baseball this whole time.

Well I can honestly say I learned a lot and I have more respect for the QB position as well as the offensive line. All you explained makes me also see why defenses try and show what they are actually planning at the last minute to give the QB less chance to audible. I appologize for you having to type all that out but I do appreciate it and I hope you can get workmans comp for the carpel tunnel syndrome.

I have to say as complicated as all of that is I can see why a QB would need a lot of experience / knowledge about the system to be able to call an audible. I think both Duke QB's have improved their play. But I can also see a freshman starting out in the system from day one being that much more valuable as a senior. Last but certainly not least it gives me more insight into Cut and Co. at being able to draw up and get a team to execute these plays. To learn an entirely new system and show a marked improvement already speaks volumes about everyone involved with Duke football in my book.

Happy Birthday Coach Cut! Thanks for coming to Duke. Your gift is a set of leg shackles with a ball and chain (no, not either of my ex wives:D) so you can't run off.

gep
09-19-2008, 12:01 AM

Thanks for taking the time to describe all that goes on before the play. I've heard that the center is the "captain" of the o-line and calls out schemes for each play. And I just assumed that everyone else knew what to do... But for the QB, and the team... signal calling with colors, numbers, cadence... how does everyone remember all of that stuff, which I'm sure changes game to game... maybe even within games. Just amazing how it "all comes together". With Coach Cut, and Duke players :), even after only 3 games, it must be "easy" for them. I sure would not be able to handle all that mental stress, let alone just playing football:D

BigDuke6
09-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Thanks for taking the time to describe all that goes on before the play. I've heard that the center is the "captain" of the o-line and calls out schemes for each play. And I just assumed that everyone else knew what to do... But for the QB, and the team... signal calling with colors, numbers, cadence... how does everyone remember all of that stuff, which I'm sure changes game to game... maybe even within games. Just amazing how it "all comes together". With Coach Cut, and Duke players :), even after only 3 games, it must be "easy" for them. I sure would not be able to handle all that mental stress, let alone just playing football:D

Players do forget sometimes. (Missed blocking assignments...) Let's also remember that conventional offenses huddle so that eliminates having to figure out the play by the cadence unless it is an audible. That is half of the thought process. Cut said that we need inteligent football players to run his kind of offense. They spend a lot of time offseason installing the offense and learning the basics. During the season the offensive packages will change depending on the opponent from week to week and they will practice using the changes to the signals. Repetitive practice will prepare the players.

Scorp4me
09-19-2008, 08:45 AM
BigDuke6 is right, the hardest part is getting them to recognize an audible. Since they go on cadence every time it's a bit easier. Obviously as you get older the demands place on the quarterback are more, but I was reading hand signals and calling plays by candence when I played pee-wee ball. Course it was cause we only had 11 players and so didn't have the luxury of a player to run the play in like the rest of the teams, lol. So I would think that Duke football players can handle the current system.

Jarhead
09-19-2008, 02:39 PM
BigDuke6 is right, the hardest part is getting them to recognize an audible. Since they go on cadence every time it's a bit easier. Obviously as you get older the demands place on the quarterback are more, but I was reading hand signals and calling plays by candence when I played pee-wee ball. Course it was cause we only had 11 players and so didn't have the luxury of a player to run the play in like the rest of the teams, lol. So I would think that Duke football players can handle the current system.
My son and I were discussing this mode of signal calling last Saturday at the game. It used to annoy the he11 out of me last year when several of the visiting teams followed the same pattern. Now, I see it as a pretty good advantage for my team.

Back in the day when Bud Wilkinson was the head coach at Oklahoma, his teams used a hurry up offense on just about every play. They must have had some way to make the play calls since they did not huddle. Sometimes the defense was still getting to their feet when the ball would be snapped. Thanks to that and the break away jerseys, the Sooners went undefeated for 47 games (http://www.soonersports.com/sports/m-footbl/archive/m-footbl-winning-streak.html) spanning five seasons ending in 1957. Some pretty good players, and the coach had something to do with that, also. Check out the scores in most of those games. High scoring? Has a team ever been more dominant?

IIRC, that was the main reason for the rules change that prevented the ball from being snapped until the referee signaled ball set for play. That rule has been in effect all these years until this year when the NCAA adapted rules similar the the NFL. I think the game has speeded up considerably, at the same time giving the QB more time to communicate without a huddle.

TwoDukeTattoos
09-21-2008, 10:06 PM
I passed the link on to everyone I could think of, Nursery Blues and True Blues alike.