PDA

View Full Version : 850 the Buzz and 620 the Bull.

moonpie23
09-17-2008, 09:41 PM
Chris Clark is gone from the station. They've given his show to Bomani Jones.

just kill me now...

devilirium
09-17-2008, 11:48 PM
I met Chris a few times, and liked what he had to say..but I'll be honest...his show was dreadful. Certainly, he knew his stuff, but you're not going to win over folks in this area talking about hockey.

He seemed to have a nice rapport with Stengel for awhile, but sometimes it's best to get yourself on down the line.

Inonehand
09-18-2008, 07:44 AM

just kill me now...

I agree with Bomani Jones no more than half the time but I enjoy his show. Granted, he IS a Duke hater. But aren't most people?

RelativeWays
09-18-2008, 08:19 AM
I agree with Bomani Jones no more than half the time but I enjoy his show. Granted, he IS a Duke hater. But aren't most people?

Yes but his hate is flavored by thinly veiled insinuations that Duke (and K) are racist. :rolleyes:

moonpie23
09-18-2008, 08:34 AM
to me, bomani is nothing more than a Stephen A wanna-be. His substance is lacking, (sure he can rip of some stats) but, as Stephan A, his pitch is blatantly from the position of "you just don't understand the "brothers".

it's insulting and not very entertaining.

but then, if i KNEW anything about entertainment, i would have made a career out of .........wait

flash
09-18-2008, 11:01 AM
I tried tuning in this guy a couple of times and all I get out of it is some guy yelling into the microphone. Definitely a Duke Hater and Tar Heel lover. He has openly stated that on the air. I have heard other people who have listened to the show say that he does make subtle references to Duke being a racist program.

dukedrummer
09-18-2008, 11:13 AM
After David Glenn came back from his vacation everyone was jumping for joy. For a few days/weeks all anyone talked about on the call ins was how Bomani was awful and they were glad to have David back. Why would they bring Bomani back at a different time? You would think they would listen to their audience.

Duke 4 Life

DukeDrummer

natedog4ever
09-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Agreed. I tried to send a comment to the 850 manager 2 days ago, but the e-mail address for comments is disabled. My comment as follows:

Hi Brian,

I have just one question for you: have you ever heard Mr. Jones take the side of, or support in any way, a white person? This guy clearly has a problem with white people and listening to him babble on with his racist slant is just brutal. I used to like 850 and 620, but I have to turn it off all too often since it seems that he is on more than half the time now. Thanks for listening.

As an aside, I believe this is the guy that tried to teach a class entitled "The Black Athlete in America" at Duke. I think it was cancelled for lack of enrollment, but I remember there being some sort of controversy around that as well.

gotham devil
09-18-2008, 01:23 PM

just kill me now...

Is it that there is so little "talent" to choose from in the area or that the salary they are willing to pay doesn't interest enough radio professionals from other markets?

If Bomani Jones is the best they can do, it's pretty pathetic.

moonpie23
09-18-2008, 01:41 PM
Brian Maloney - manager@850thebuzz.com

flash
09-18-2008, 05:14 PM
Chris was not as bad as devilrium has made him out to be. I hate hockey and he did talk about hockey more than I liked. He didn't talk about hockey anymore than Joe Ovius or Adam Gold do. He usually let callers dictate what subject to talk about. He was a UNC grad but was always fair and unbiased when talking about Duke. I appreciated that. Hell he even let Dick From Raleigh call in.

wilko
09-18-2008, 06:25 PM
Hell he even let Dick From Raleigh call in.

..... I dont care who you are, thats funny..

duketaylor
09-18-2008, 08:06 PM
What do y'all think about Mike Maniscalco in Raleigh? He was here in Richmond for a few years, just wondering.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-18-2008, 08:51 PM
What do y'all think about Mike Maniscalco in Raleigh? He was here in Richmond for a few years, just wondering.

Who? What station is he on? I've never heard him. But I've never put on 99.9 fm either, if that is where he is.

Good to see you here again, Chuck! You coming down for any football games?

godukecom
09-19-2008, 12:53 AM
None of them function as more than entertainment... and duke hatin is entertainment for a lot of people in this area

DevilWolf
09-19-2008, 08:08 AM
I stopped listening when Steve Logan left to go to BC.

riverside6
09-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Who? What station is he on? I've never heard him. But I've never put on 99.9 fm either, if that is where he is.

Good to see you here again, Chuck! You coming down for any football games?
Yep he's on 99.9, but I only know though that because I've heard his named mentioned there. That being said, nobody on 99.9 has stood out to me as a personality so far. The only reason I listen to it usually is because that is where The Dan Patrick Show is aired.

moonpie23
09-19-2008, 11:43 AM
i will definitely switch from adam and joe on 850 to dan patrick.....i like him better than colin cowheard.......altho, colin is kinda cool sometimes...

that will take me into the jim rome show....

Devilsfan
09-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I guess the local yocal stations got exactly what they paid for in Barnaby Jones.

09-19-2008, 06:41 PM
I emailed David Glenn concerning Chris. He says that Chris has the opportunity to stay with the station in a lessened role. Which means he got the boot in order to put bomani in. I don't get it at all. Bomani is pretty awful. I guess they needed more diversity though.

Also, 99.9 gets good interviews but they don't know the local scene at all.

devilirium
09-19-2008, 09:14 PM
Heard from a pretty reliable source that there CC didn't help his cause by making waves publicly about sharing time with Bomani.

I agree that Bomani is mostly about being loud. He has drummed the ACC Football Perception Thread to death with his bit about the conference being weak with Wake Forest being the top dog.....he needs to get over it.....FSU was a teaching college at one point...clearly they evolved into a national powerhouse and now are merely competitive.

99.9 appears to have yanked Tim Brando--which really sucks. Instead, they've put in this "Two Stu" show that will probably manage to acquire 10 listeners.....really disappointed in 99.9...they didn't have a lot of personality on that station anyway, and now they dumb down their national show list.

moonpie23
09-20-2008, 01:54 PM
i wonder if the ratings will show the stations the error of their ways...

......."stop sending me that hootie and the blowfish stuff. That crap will never sell!"

BoC
09-20-2008, 06:16 PM
Since CC left I've pretty much stopped listening to sports radio altogether. I used to really like the others, but Adam seems to get a bit rude with callers who dare to have an opinion different than his, and Dave Glenn, although very knowledgeable and fun to listen to, really doesn't like giving callers more than 10 or 20 seconds to speak (it seems); you can really tell when he wants to hang up and get back to talking. I almost wish DG would just stop taking calls and maybe have one or two more guests.

Chris Clark, on the other hand, really seemed to enjoy talking with (most) callers and was rarely "short" with them. Imagine that; a radio (sports) talk-show host who liked talking with callers.

flash
09-21-2008, 12:33 PM
Received email from Adam Gold in reference to status of Chris Clark. He gave me the proverbial "Chris was offered another position at the station but declined." Looks liked they wanted him gone and figured out a way to get it done.

TwoDukeTattoos
09-21-2008, 10:01 PM
I've been listening to 850 for 5 or 6 years now, and 620 since they began 2-3 years ago. I always made it a point to listen to DG when he would appear on AG's show. DG always has tons of good ACC info, and other info as well, without a lot of pauses and nauseating opinions. And he's kind to callers, carries on discussions, etc. AG is a bit of a know-it-all and is sometimes demeaning to callers. Don't really care for his commentary. I'd rather listen to Mike and Mike during that morning time slot.

moonpie23
09-22-2008, 01:02 AM
actually.....adam has softened since he took over with joe for the morning shift......joe O has been a great addition and keeps adam's nose to the grindstone.........they're actually fun to listen to ..(since i'm up at oh-dark:30

I love DG, so,and i really liked chris clark..... i guess it just boils down to NOT liking Bomani....his style, his obvious hatred duke, his obvious homer-ism for the heels........

oh well...i couldn't find the email where they wrote to me for my opinion before they made the switch, but i'm sure they did.....