PDA

View Full Version : Don't Let Them Win the Championship!!!

BlueintheFace
09-17-2008, 01:29 AM
Here's another offseason game to play. Rank the teams you least want to win the national championship these days.

Here is my list:
1) UNC- No need for explanation
2) UCONNvicts- Calhoun with three... no thanks
3) Florida- Donovan with three ... are you freaking kidding me
4) UCLA- I rather enjoy the fact that UCLA can't win the big one ... for now
5) Georgetown- Something rubs me the wrong way about JTIII

gep
09-17-2008, 01:32 AM
Looks like a good list... but maybe Kentucky and Georgetown can switch places?

heyman25
09-17-2008, 05:30 AM
Very good list.
I would agree Kentucky should be there. I dislike the Kentucky fanbase.And in the same category for a dispised fanbase Maryland gets a place in the least desirable teams to win the National championship.

moonpie23
09-17-2008, 06:48 AM
ummm....you've got #1 right...

wolfpackdevil
09-17-2008, 06:54 AM
Umm I'd rather have Memphis and Maryland up at 4 and 5.

I could'nt stand to see Calipari or Gary Williams win a title, just a sight I am not willing to watch

RelativeWays
09-17-2008, 07:11 AM
UNC and UConn are the only two on the list that are truly unacceptable. I have nothing against UCLA or Georgetown. UF, I'd prefer they not win another NCAA BB championship for the same reason I'd prefer the Marlins not to win another World Series, its just not right. At least UF has been around longer than 10 years.

RainingThrees
09-17-2008, 07:26 AM
UCLA over the rest of these teams anyday.

Travis
09-17-2008, 08:22 AM
1. UNC
2. The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
3. Tarheels
4. Any team whose colors are baby blue
5a UConn
5.b The Heels

davekay1971
09-17-2008, 08:28 AM
1. UNC
2. The University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
3. Tarheels
4. Any team whose colors are baby blue
5a UConn
5.b The Heels

lol - love that...

Mine:
1: UNC
2: UConn - Calhoun with 3 just degrades everything about NCAA hoops
3: Memphis - Calipari with 1 degrades everything about NCAA hoops
4: Florida - Just don't want to see Donovan in the 3 title club
5: This spot reserved for Maryland in case they ever get good again.

Uncle Drew
09-17-2008, 08:28 AM
Here's another offseason game to play. Rank the teams you least want to win the national championship these days.

Here is my list:
1) UNC- No need for explanation
2) UCONNvicts- Calhoun with three... no thanks
3) Florida- Donovan with three ... are you freaking kidding me
4) UCLA- I rather enjoy the fact that UCLA can't win the big one ... for now
5) Georgetown- Something rubs me the wrong way about JTIII

1. UNC as always.- Regardless of what Duke does or doesn't do as long as UNC doesn't win a national title the season has been acceptable. That being said this team will be the clear cut favorite to win it all and will field their most intimidating lineup on paper in a loooong time.

2. Georgertown-I don't know about the rest of you, but after hearing Duke was leading for Monroe and then him not even taking an official visit to Duke still rubs me raw. I'm not saying I want the guy injured, but I want him to fail and fail badly. Throw in the fact the Baltimore / DC area is a basketball hotbed Maryland isn't allowed to recruit from (thank you Bob Wade) and I don't want the Hoyas coming back into power again.

3. Florida-Okay so Duke is no longer the last team to repeat as champions. The threepeat was foiled, but I don't want to hear any yada, yada, yada about 3 in 4 either.

4. UCONN-No school outside the ACC has been more a thorn in Dukes side the last ten years. And while they don't tend to rectuit the same players due to Duke actually having classes to attend and not being able to major in basket weaving. I'd like to see them absent from the NCAA a few more seasons. NIT, NIT, NIT!

5. West Virginia-Although the least likely of the top five I have always loathed Huggins and the ways his teams have played. I have nothing against the state or school, but I view Huggins as this decades Jerry Tarkanian.

Honorable (or dishonorable) Mention:
Maryland-Sure it isn't likely to happen but no school has done more to fan the anti-Duke flames outside of UNC.
Kentucky-See Patrick Patterson
Elon University-The students think they own the entire county nine months out of the year. If they won an NCAA title we'd never get any relief from those yankees! :D

davekay1971
09-17-2008, 08:38 AM
Was it Bob Wade that blew Maryland's status in the DC/Balt area? I thought Wade was brought in from Dunbar to try to repair that status, and that the initial problem was that the Baltimore community felt unhappy because of Lefty's use of Earnest Graham back around 1980-81. Please inform...

DukeWarhead
09-17-2008, 08:42 AM
1. Holes
2. UCONN - Calhoun is a turd
3. Maryland - hate the fans. Not much of a threat on this one.
4. Kansas - yes, Kansas. I lived out by K.C. for a few years and there is a lot of Duke-hate/Coach K hate for no real reason. They constantly harp about their program being on par with Duke, like its the most important thing on Earth. Always saying Duke is overrated - always. Jayhawk fans just can't shut up with the dissing Duke. Their sports radio personnas squeal with glee whenever Duke - for days and days. Obviously, they haven't shut up about the national championship - I guess one every 20 years means greatness.
5. Florida - had enough of them for a while. They still have that Joakim Noah stink on them.

jv001
09-17-2008, 09:02 AM
1. unc...hate is a harsh word, but
2. Twerps..just plain stupid fans
3. Uconn...Calhoun, ugh
4. Arizonia ....Lute, ugh ugh
5. Kentucky...goes back to "Goose Givens"

Huh?
09-17-2008, 09:05 AM
Elon University-The students think they own the entire county nine months out of the year. If they won an NCAA title we'd never get any relief from those yankees! :D[/QUOTE]

hahahaha...Don't they??

skitelz
09-17-2008, 10:03 AM
4. Kansas - yes, Kansas. I lived out by K.C. for a few years and there is a lot of Duke-hate/Coach K hate for no real reason. They constantly harp about their program being on par with Duke, like its the most important thing on Earth. Always saying Duke is overrated - always. Jayhawk fans just can't shut up with the dissing Duke. Their sports radio personnas squeal with glee whenever Duke - for days and days. Obviously, they haven't shut up about the national championship - I guess one every 20 years means greatness.

well, they do kind of have a reason...they have been permanently scarred by the car wreck that is roy williams.:cool:

gw67
09-17-2008, 10:17 AM
Davekay1971,

As I’m sure you know, Ernie Graham was a good player on some of Lefty’s better teams. He came in with Albert King and Greg Manning and they were joined by Buck Williams. Ernie was probably the best offensive player on the team but defense and team play were not his strengths. I heard some rumors that he was not happy with Lefty because he wasn’t the featured player but I don’t believe that he was the cause of the fissure between the Terps and Baltimore area coaches/players.

Bob Wade was a high school coach in Baltimore who, IMO, was in over his head as a college coach. After the Bias situation, the school president (John Slaughter?) decided that he would hire Lefty’s replacement. Since he knew very little about college basketball, he decided to consult a good friend, Georgetown coach, John Thompson, who recommended Wade. Wade had coached Wingate, Williams and perhaps others who played for Georgetown, and was a good friend of Thompson. A bunch of the alums were very unhappy with this deal and when Wade got in trouble with the NCAA, he was gone. Apparently, the folks in Baltimore felt that Wade was railroaded and there have been hard feelings with Baltimore high school and AAU coaches for many years. Much of this has been directed at Wade’s replacement, Gary Williams, and Williams has had mixed success in recruiting kids from Baltimore.

As an aside, an old friend of mine who has season tickets to the Terps’ games, said that that he has seen Ernie Graham at games the past couple of years.

With regard to the topic, I say anybody but UConn, Arizona and Memphis.

gw67

wilson
09-17-2008, 11:05 AM
As long as kuralonna and uCONn don't win, I don't really give a [poop]. I suppose I'd prefer for Maryland not to win, and I've got no love for Flarduh, but they already did the back-to-back thing, so I don't feel much in the way of emotional involvement there. Kentucky, Georgetown, UCLA, etc. don't inspire any reaction at all for me.

davekay1971
09-17-2008, 11:33 AM
Davekay1971,

As I’m sure you know, Ernie Graham was a good player on some of Lefty’s better teams. He came in with Albert King and Greg Manning and they were joined by Buck Williams. Ernie was probably the best offensive player on the team but defense and team play were not his strengths. I heard some rumors that he was not happy with Lefty because he wasn’t the featured player but I don’t believe that he was the cause of the fissure between the Terps and Baltimore area coaches/players.

Bob Wade was a high school coach in Baltimore who, IMO, was in over his head as a college coach. After the Bias situation, the school president (John Slaughter?) decided that he would hire Lefty’s replacement. Since he knew very little about college basketball, he decided to consult a good friend, Georgetown coach, John Thompson, who recommended Wade. Wade had coached Wingate, Williams and perhaps others who played for Georgetown, and was a good friend of Thompson. A bunch of the alums were very unhappy with this deal and when Wade got in trouble with the NCAA, he was gone. Apparently, the folks in Baltimore felt that Wade was railroaded and there have been hard feelings with Baltimore high school and AAU coaches for many years. Much of this has been directed at Wade’s replacement, Gary Williams, and Williams has had mixed success in recruiting kids from Baltimore.

As an aside, an old friend of mine who has season tickets to the Terps’ games, said that that he has seen Ernie Graham at games the past couple of years.

With regard to the topic, I say anybody but UConn, Arizona and Memphis.

gw67

Thanks for the info...that definitely clears it up for me. I grew up in the DC area (Maryland side) and was young when Albert King, Manning, Buck Williams, and Graham were playing for the Terps. Good memories from those teams; I was a fan and supporter of the Terps even through my years at Duke. Gary Williams and the Twerp fans sure are skilled at turning people against their team...

balkan boy
09-17-2008, 12:38 PM
1. Unc
2. Abd
3. Abd
4. Abd
5. Abd

jipops
09-17-2008, 08:07 PM
1. Unc
2. Abd
3. Abd
4. Abd
5. Abd

Most other message boards would have the inverse of this ranking.

77devil
09-17-2008, 08:31 PM
why limit oneself to five? ;)

mgtr
09-17-2008, 09:43 PM
I would like to see UNC totally fall apart right before the ACC tournament, and, like Humpty Dumpty, be unable to put it back together. I dream about this many nights.

camcraz25
09-17-2008, 11:46 PM
I don't understand the reference about Elon thinking they own the entire county. Am I missing something?

heyman25
09-18-2008, 05:38 AM
Maybe the poster lives in Alamance County. I think that is where Elon is.Maybe there is a culture clash there.

Buckeye Devil
09-18-2008, 08:24 PM
1. UNC - do they wear Ice Blue Secret with those feminine blue uniforms?
2. UCONN - 1999 is still haunting
3. Florida - the thoughts of that little twerp with 3 NC's is horrible
4. Georgetown -can't stand JT3
5. Maryland -enough said
6. GA Tech -haven't liked them since the days of Price & Dalrymple
7. Arizona - too many weird things going on out there
8. Generally any other Big East team - something wrong w/a 16 team league

Uncle Drew
09-19-2008, 12:10 AM
Maybe the poster lives in Alamance County. I think that is where Elon is.Maybe there is a culture clash there.

I appologize if that went over a few (or more than a few) people's heads. I love Elon, my dad went there. It's right next to me here in Burlington NC and while there are students from all over that go there. We locals can spot the ones not from this general area very easily. (No, not just because they have all their teeth.) It's just accents and attitudes contrast with those of the natives.

TheRose77
09-19-2008, 02:29 PM
I appologize if that went over a few (or more than a few) people's heads. I love Elon, my dad went there. It's right next to me here in Burlington NC and while there are students from all over that go there. We locals can spot the ones not from this general area very easily. (No, not just because they have all their teeth.) It's just accents and attitudes contrast with those of the natives.
Don't be hatin' on Elon. It's a good school. I'll be down there next weekend for Parents' Weekend, although truth be told, I'd rather go to the Duke/UVA game than the Elon game. My Cameron was born in CT, so is a Yankee, but feels right at home with the locals (must be his mama's NC blood in him.)

Uncle Drew
09-19-2008, 08:33 PM
Don't be hatin' on Elon. It's a good school. I'll be down there next weekend for Parents' Weekend, although truth be told, I'd rather go to the Duke/UVA game than the Elon game. My Cameron was born in CT, so is a Yankee, but feels right at home with the locals (must be his mama's NC blood in him.)

I assure you there is no hatin' involved in Elon. My dad went there and played baseball. And quie a few DBR posters went there including Earl Jam and Duke PA. Elon is a very good school and has one of the prettiest campuses around. I mean it's not Duke pretty, but outside of Oxford what is? That being said, the negative feelings some locals get gets blamed on "yankees. IMO it's more likely kids coming from the rat race of big cities and don't realize they don't have to be pushy or demanding in small towns. Truth be told after their first year of seeing the local hospitality that mentality is usually gone. I will admit learning to say Elon University and Phoenix has taken a lot of getting used to.

mgtr
09-19-2008, 10:06 PM
Please remember that Elon is just Nole (as in Seminole) spelled backwards. I am not certain that there is any meaning attached to this, it just struck my fancy.

Uncle Drew
09-20-2008, 05:44 AM
Please remember that Elon is just Nole (as in Seminole) spelled backwards. I am not certain that there is any meaning attached to this, it just struck my fancy.

In case anyone wonders or cares back in the day there was an intersection where the road crossed the railroad tracks the locals called "Boon's Crossing". (Interesting huh Earl Jam??!!) There was some type of college located in Graham (Yes Graham of all places, I'm from Alamance County, I'm allowed to say things like that.) called Graham Normal College. (And no I have no idea what it means to be "normal" in Graham.) They relocated that college to an area by Boon's Crossing full of large oak trees. Elon is ancient Hebrew for Oak, Elon was a son of Zebulun and a grandson of Jacob in the old testament. Of course the God fearing people of Alamance County knew that, so they named the school Elon and the town that rose up around it recieved the same name.

Now there is a giant statue (just a tad bit smaller than the Statue of Liberty) of it's most famous graduate Earl Jam in the center of the campus. Anyone entering the town is required to pull over and come bow down at the feet of the statue and donate whatever pocket change they have. Once a year the statue is decorated in a purple velvet suit and the statue is adorned with what has been come to be called, "the hat of the Mack Daddy". The fertility festival of the female carpet baggers ensues, followed by several days of drinking beer and eating mountain oysters.

Indoor66
09-20-2008, 09:40 AM
In case anyone wonders or cares back in the day there was an intersection where the road crossed the railroad tracks the locals called "Boon's Crossing". (Interesting huh Earl Jam??!!) There was some type of college located in Graham (Yes Graham of all places, I'm from Alamance County, I'm allowed to say things like that.) called Graham Normal College. (And no I have no idea what it means to be "normal" in Graham.) They relocated that college to an area by Boon's Crossing full of large oak trees. Elon is ancient Hebrew for Oak, Elon was a son of Zebulun and a grandson of Jacob in the old testament. Of course the God fearing people of Alamance County knew that, so they named the school Elon and the town that rose up around it recieved the same name.

Now there is a giant statue (just a tad bit smaller than the Statue of Liberty) of it's most famous graduate Earl Jam in the center of the campus. Anyone entering the town is required to pull over and come bow down at the feet of the statue and donate whatever pocket change they have. Once a year the statue is decorated in a purple velvet suit and the statue is adorned with what has been come to be called, "the hat of the Mack Daddy". The fertility festival of the female carpet baggers ensues, followed by several days of drinking beer and eating mountain oysters.

"Normal" colleges the older name for colleges that trained school teachers. I know nothing of one located in Graham and could find nothing with Google.

Uncle Drew
09-20-2008, 10:06 AM
"Normal" colleges the older name for colleges that trained school teachers. I know nothing of one located in Graham and could find nothing with Google.

Google "the fertility festival of the female carpet baggers" and see if anything comes up? :D

Richard Berg
09-20-2008, 10:39 PM
I want UNC to make it to the Regional Finals, then endure a massive choke session. Bigger than opening the Kansas game 40-12. Bigger than shooting 1-for-20 in crunch time against the Hoyas. Bigger than scoring just 2 of the final 22 points against the Lady Vols. Something that will overshadow the memories of Chris Webber and Fred Brown forevermore.

sue71, esq
09-20-2008, 11:11 PM
I'm sure that the players are just lovely human beings. I bet the coaches are... ok. But for the life of me, I cannot stomach the following teams:

TOP O'THE HEAP
UNC (duh)
Michigan (Ohio State alum)
UCLA (work-related)
LSU (makes me nauseous in general)

RUNNERS-UP
Florida
Maryland
Texas
VCU
VT

UP NEXT
Georgia
Pretty much any other SEC team
WVU

These are just off the top of my head, football & basketball combined. What teams do you take issue with?

This thread brought to you by tonight's, ahem, Auburn game.

ugadevil
09-20-2008, 11:16 PM
Virginia Tech, Georgia Tech, Auburn, Florida, LSU, Ohio State.

sue71, esq
09-20-2008, 11:48 PM
I'm sure that the players are just lovely human beings. I bet the coaches are... ok. But for the life of me, I cannot stomach the following teams:

TOP O'THE HEAP
UNC (duh)
Michigan (Ohio State alum)
UCLA (work-related)
LSU (makes me nauseous in general)

RUNNERS-UP
Florida
Maryland
Texas
VCU
VT

UP NEXT
Georgia
Pretty much any other SEC team
WVU

These are just off the top of my head, football & basketball combined. What teams do you take issue with?

This thread brought to you by tonight's, ahem, Auburn game.

Wow, how did I forget UCONN? Top o' the heap list, fo' sho'.

pamtar
09-21-2008, 11:09 AM
UNC
Bob Jones University
ECU
Florida
Maryland

dukebluelemur
09-21-2008, 11:34 AM
Google "the fertility festival of the female carpet baggers" and see if anything comes up? :D

Just this page. Google works fast :cool: