PDA

View Full Version : Your favorite Chevy Chase Comedy

2535Miles
09-16-2008, 06:29 PM
I had a hard time deciding if I would include the other Vacation movies in the poll. I opted for yes because I find myself quoting all three movies. Please note: there are no movies filmed outside of the 80's in this poll. We don't want to discuss Chevy, comedy, and the 90's. Do we?

DukeUsul
09-16-2008, 08:54 PM
Spies Like Us!

"It's Soulfinger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QSZuDr0UdE), by the Bar-Kays!"
"Having a little trouble getting a gig?"

ETA: Oh and another great line, this one from Aykroyd.

"They're Afghani freedom fighters. They're on our side. WE'RE AMERICANS!"

grad_devil
09-16-2008, 10:18 PM
...and that's "more than famous", mind you :)

I have to go with The Three Amigos. Have you ever tried to quote his incantation when trying to summon The Invisible Swordsman? I dare say it's impossible.

--grad_devil

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 10:25 PM
How odd, I just saw that Funny Farm was on TV, and I thought of the BIll Murray poll. Then I log on and see this, twilight zoney. Anyways, Vacation and Fletch are great, but the one that makes me laugh the most is Funny Farm. The dog, the squirrels, the townspeople that hate him, the movers that get directions including "Well , if your going to RedBud you sure wouldn't want to start from here".
Anyways, unfortunately I missed it tonite, but I will watch it anytime is it on.

wilson
09-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Remember that time you voted for something other than 'Christmas Vacation,' and you were wrong? Yeah, that was disappointing.

EarlJam
09-16-2008, 11:02 PM
Had to go with Vacation.

"Ah, excuse me.....Holmes!?"

"Eat my rubber!"

"Tired? I'm not tired. I could go another hundred miles!"

Another good question for discussion is 1) Who fell from comedic grace like a big lead thing first? Akroyd or Chase?

-EarlJam

wilson
09-16-2008, 11:06 PM
Had to go with Vacation.

[I]"Ah, excuse me.....Holmes!?"

"What it is, bro?"

But I must admonish you..."Eat my rubber" comes from Christmas Vacation (clearly the best of these films), while the Griswolds are in search of a Christmas tree.

EarlJam
09-16-2008, 11:26 PM
"What it is, bro?"

But I must admonish you..."Eat my rubber" comes from Christmas Vacation (clearly the best of these films), while the Griswolds are in search of a Christmas tree.

Oh. Good catch. Also, "What it is, bro..." is hilarious as well!

"The dog peed on the sandwiches!"

-EJ

DevilAlumna
09-16-2008, 11:39 PM
"Do you own a pair of rubber gloves, Mr. Nugent?"
"I lease, with an option to buy."

"Can I borrow your towel? My car just hit a water buffalo."

"It's all ball-bearings these days."

Game, set, match.

wilson
09-16-2008, 11:46 PM
Game, set, match.

Nope:

"Grace? She passed away thirty years ago!"

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn... the clean, cool chill of the holiday air... a [butt]hole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer..."

"-Rocky bit my thumb. Him's nervous.
-Nervous, or just excited?
-[Poop]in' bricks.
-You shouldn't use that word.
-Sorry. [Poop]in' rocks."

DevilAlumna
09-16-2008, 11:57 PM
Nope:

"Grace? She passed away thirty years ago!"

"Oh, the silent majesty of a winter's morn... the clean, cool chill of the holiday air... a [butt]hole in his bathrobe, emptying a chemical toilet into my sewer..."

"-Rocky bit my thumb. Him's nervous.
-Nervous, or just excited?
-[Poop]in' bricks.
-You shouldn't use that word.
-Sorry. [Poop]in' rocks."

Yeah, but two out of three of those weren't Chevy Chase punchlines. And the other is only humorous thanks to Randy Quaid.

wilson
09-17-2008, 12:00 AM
Yeah, but two out of three of those weren't Chevy Chase punchlines. And the other is only humorous thanks to Randy Quaid.

Yeah, but the original question wasn't about favorite Chevy Chase lines, but favorite Chevy Chase comedies. As DBR Head Elf, I have but one choice.

sue71, esq
09-17-2008, 12:13 AM
Yeah, but the original question wasn't about favorite Chevy Chase lines, but favorite Chevy Chase comedies. As DBR Head Elf, I have but one choice.

Head elf?

So I think I was born missing the "I can recite movie lines" gene. Unless we're discussing The Godfather, I cannot throw out movie lines the way y'all can. And even if it is The Godfather, I'm still somewhat iffy. Just not in tune with movie quotes.

wilson
09-17-2008, 12:15 AM
Head elf?

So I think I was born missing the "I can recite movie lines" gene. Unless we're discussing The Godfather, I cannot throw out movie lines the way y'all can. And even if it is The Godfather, I'm still somewhat iffy. Just not in tune with movie quotes.

Yes, DBR Head Elf, as in "I love Christmas more than everyone else around here...combined."

dukemomLA
09-17-2008, 01:53 AM
I hate Chevy Chase. There aren't too many others (....well, I take that back) who became a household name with less talent.

snowdenscold
09-17-2008, 03:00 AM
Remember that time you voted for something other than 'Christmas Vacation,' and you were wrong? Yeah, that was disappointing.

Hahahaha, wasn't me! I <3 that movie... my second favorite Christmas movie after Jim Henson's 'The Christmas Toy'.

DevilAlumna
09-17-2008, 03:11 AM
Hmm, I wonder what movie would be the choice of DBR poster, Dr. Rosenrosen? :D

Edit: OMG, I was wrong - he already voted for "Spies Like Us"!

DukeUsul
09-17-2008, 08:19 AM
Hmm, I wonder what movie would be the choice of DBR poster, Dr. Rosenrosen? :D

Edit: OMG, I was wrong - he already voted for "Spies Like Us"!

He has good taste.

"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Doctor"
"Aaaaaand... Doctor"
"Did we miss anybody?"

aimo
09-17-2008, 08:37 AM
(As his boss and entourage are passing)

"Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Merry Christmas!
Kiss my arse!!
Kiss his arse!!
Kiss your arse!!
Happy Hanukkah!"

Man! They won't even let you use dollar signs for S's anymore! ARGH!

killerleft
09-17-2008, 11:17 AM
What about "Under the Rainbow"?

Quote from the movie: "The pearl (pronounced peahl) is in the liver!"

DevilAlumna
09-17-2008, 12:07 PM
He has good taste.

"Doctor"
"Doctor"

Glad I'm not sick! :D

2535Miles
09-17-2008, 12:56 PM
Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.

Jfrosh
09-17-2008, 01:17 PM
Although I voted for Fletch one of my favorite lines came from Vacation. It wasn't Chevy who said it though.

From Pre-teen cousin.

"I can French Kiss"
"So"
"But Daddy says I'm the best"

EarlJam
09-17-2008, 01:57 PM
Sorry folks, park's closed. Moose out front shoulda told ya.

"That's not a real gun!"

"Hey I can put your eye out with this!"

2535Miles
09-17-2008, 02:00 PM
"That's not a real gun!"

"Hey I can put your eye out with this!"
"You couldn't even break the skin with that thing."

g_olaf
09-17-2008, 06:02 PM
Voted for Spies like us, but you missed my two favorite Chevy Chase movies:

Foul Play
and
Seems like old times.

Scoring Point
09-18-2008, 01:51 PM
Good lord people, what is the matter here?

Really a 2 horse race between Caddyshack (most entertaining movie he's been in, by a fairly wide margin) and Fletch (best "Chevy Chase vehicle", again by a fairly wide margin). The original Vacation had its share of funny moments, but is definitely a notch or more below those two. How in the world could anyone place a serious vote for Christmas Vacation, though?!*@#

2535Miles
09-18-2008, 02:12 PM
Good lord people, what is the matter here?

Really a 2 horse race between Caddyshack (most entertaining movie he's been in, by a fairly wide margin) and Fletch (best "Chevy Chase vehicle", again by a fairly wide margin). The original Vacation had its share of funny moments, but is definitely a notch or more below those two. How in the world could anyone place a serious vote for Christmas Vacation, though?!*@#
Please note, the poll is for your favorite Chevy Chase Comedy, not the most entertaining, not the best vehicle, not the funniest ever, etc. The only time it's fair game to criticize people for selecting a "favorite", is when they pick Carolina as their favorite team.

GTHC!!!