PDA

View Full Version : OK....new big screen LCD - but a small problem

moonpie23
09-15-2008, 10:34 PM
i just got a new big screen LCD and it has 3, count em.....THREE pixels stuck on green.....two vertical and then one beside the top vertical ......

the mfg'rs policy is there has to be a total of 12 stuck before i can return it...
I checked online and it looks like a couple of different ways to try to fix them.

anyone have any experience with this??

other than that......blu ray looks freaking AWESOME in 1080p...

mph
09-15-2008, 10:42 PM
i just got a new big screen LCD and it has 3, count em.....THREE pixels stuck on green.....two vertical and then one beside the top vertical ......

the mfg'rs policy is there has to be a total of 12 stuck before i can return it...
I checked online and it looks like a couple of different ways to try to fix them.

Can you return it to the retailer and exchange it? Or return it and but another of the same model?

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2008, 10:57 PM
I wish I had a good suggestion for you, I just came in to chime that the dead pixel policy with those screens is frustrating.I think ONE dead pixel should be enough to warrant a return, because once you notice it, it's all you notice. I hope they let you bring it back. If not, unscrew the back of it and cut something on the board so it won't display at all. That's a better reason for them to take it back.:mad:

ForeverBlowingBubbles
09-15-2008, 11:52 PM
not enough information. where did you buy it from? How long is "just bought"?

Store warrenty?

hc5duke
09-16-2008, 02:42 AM

Is this an LCD monitor or TV? If it has a DVI input, you could try following these steps (http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?p=92453#post92453).

wikihow instructions (http://www.wikihow.com/Fix-a-Stuck-Pixel-on-an-LCD-Monitor)
jscreenfix (http://www.jscreenfix.com/)
dead pixel buddy (http://www.softpedia.com/get/System/Benchmarks/Dead-Pixel-Buddy.shtml)

Reisen
09-16-2008, 03:11 AM
When I bought the monitor I'm using right now (24 inch panel), I had Best Buy's Geek Squad hook it up before I ever left the store, as that way, if it had dead pixels, I could just grab another right there.

This is also why I will buy just about anything BUT monitors from Newegg.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2008, 05:19 AM
If not, unscrew the back of it and cut something on the board so it won't display at all.

Hmm, where I'm from this is known as fraud...

allenmurray
09-16-2008, 08:09 AM

What do they call refusing to accept the return of a faulty product, where you're from?

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 08:30 AM

shhhhhhhhhh:rolleyes:
Although, IMO selling a tv for over $500 that is not 100% functional is also fraud.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Although, IMO selling a tv for over $500 that is not 100% functional is also fraud.

Agree with you 100% there...

Indoor66
09-16-2008, 10:11 AM
shhhhhhhhhh:rolleyes:

Why the $500 threshold?

bjornolf
09-16-2008, 10:21 AM
Maybe that's where he considers the category of "butt-load of money for a TV" to begin?

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 10:23 AM
Why the $500 threshold?

Because I'm assuming his "big screen LCD" was at least that. I've not seen any LCD TV's over 32" for under $500.

cf-62
09-16-2008, 10:29 AM
We still haven't heard the answer to two key questions:

"new TV" means from where? and when?

Best Buy has been brought up, but Best Buy takes ANY TV back for ANY REASON within 30 days. Their biggest return week isn't after Christmas, it's after the SuperBowl - because they will take the TV's back.

Not that 6 months old shouldn't still work as new -- it should -- but then you're dealing with a different definition of new.

If there's an issue of "number of pixels dropped" then call in and report that there are other issues with the screen, and tell them it's intermittent. The world of refurbished models is full of products that were returned and no defect was found because the problem was intermittent.

The TV should work if it's under warranty. If it's not under warranty, you're out of luck (recent experience with the in-laws confirms this). If it is, do whatever is necessary to make sure it's covered, get it in the queue, and get it fixed.

hc5duke
09-16-2008, 01:32 PM
What do they call refusing to accept the return of a faulty product, where you're from?

It's not a faulty product. When you buy an LCD you are agreeing to the manufacturer's policy of allowing X number of dead pixels. It's a bad policy, but it's fairly rare that these will remain dead. It's a fraud when you intentionally destroy a product that is probably not faulty (again, with some tweaks it will come back alive) just because you didn't research this before making a large purchase.

moonpie23
09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
wow....sorry...i've been working..

i purchased this TV online from BUY.COM.....it specifically states that this is an item that MUST be returned to the MFGr if there is a problem.

the MFGR warranty specifically states that it must have 12 for it to be "defective"

it's a huge set,(263 LBS) and i dread boxing it back up to ship back (it's less than a week old)

i was hoping that someone had some success with the jscreenfix.....it didn't work last night when i tried it...

ForeverBlowingBubbles
09-16-2008, 02:44 PM
Your best bet may be just to take it to a TV repair service. I ordered one off Auctiondrop.com... I had it stop working completely - it was only 80 bucks to fix. It will probably cost you that much to ship it to the repair center and back.

Also, I just googled Buy.com (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=buy.com+sucks&aq=f&oq=) sucks and a whole lot more stuff than what would make me comfortable came up.

YmoBeThere
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
Your best bet may be just to take it to a TV repair service. I ordered one off Auctiondrop.com... I had it stop working completely - it was only 80 bucks to fix. It will probably cost you that much to ship it to the repair center and back.

Also, I just googled Buy.com (http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=buy.com+sucks&aq=f&oq=) sucks and a whole lot more stuff than what would make me comfortable came up.

I have been ok with buy.com, I have ordered a couple older processors from them.

hc5duke
09-16-2008, 02:51 PM
wow....sorry...i've been working..

i purchased this TV online from BUY.COM.....it specifically states that this is an item that MUST be returned to the MFGr if there is a problem.

the MFGR warranty specifically states that it must have 12 for it to be "defective"

it's a huge set,(263 LBS) and i dread boxing it back up to ship back (it's less than a week old)

i was hoping that someone had some success with the jscreenfix.....it didn't work last night when i tried it...

Sorry, didn't mean to lash out at you, it was more of a response to the cutting something in the back comment. As for buy.com, ditto what ForeverBlowingBubbles said; I almost exclusively use Amazon for these types of purchases. Your best bet is to try these methods. I've purchased about 10 LCD monitors (5 monitors, 1 tv, 3 laptops... I guess that's 9), every single one online. Only one of them came with dead pixels - my wife's Vaio. That's 1 pixel out of about 15 million pixels, not a bad failure rate IMO. When she ran one of these (don't recall which one exactly) tools, it reverted back and has been in working since (roughly 1.5 years).

ForeverBlowingBubbles
09-16-2008, 02:52 PM
http://gadgetopia.com/post/495

YmoBeThere
09-16-2008, 02:58 PM
http://gadgetopia.com/post/495

The original is a 5 year old post...

ForeverBlowingBubbles
09-16-2008, 03:11 PM
The original is a 5 year old post...

Yes, but there seems to be a trend... Posts with discontent from 2005 all the way until 4 days ago... Which makes it even worse! It also means good customer service just isn't in buy.com's business plan. I'm sure the risk isn't too high you'll get a defective product - but it seems pretty certain if you do have a problem its not going to be a fun fix.

hc5duke
09-16-2008, 03:24 PM
Yes, but there seems to be a trend... Posts with discontent from 2005 all the way until 4 days ago... Which makes it even worse! It also means good customer service just isn't in buy.com's business plan. I'm sure the risk isn't too high you'll get a defective product - but it seems pretty certain if you do have a problem its not going to be a fun fix.

When I used buy.com (before 2004), my issue was more with general incompetence than bad customer service. I would buy something, a similar (wrong) item would arrive, the CSR would straighten it out but still send another wrong item, etc. Amazon seems to be operating with much better efficiency/competence, at least compared to buy.com circa 2004

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 03:39 PM
Out of curiosity, if you do find something that fixes the pixels, keep us up to date. I'd like to check it out.

HaveFunExpectToWin
09-16-2008, 03:52 PM
I've never had any problems returning items to Buy.com. Within 14 days, you can return anything for any reason. How long has it been? Are you sure Buy won't issue you a return slip (unfortunately you'll be on the hook for shipping).

moonpie23
09-16-2008, 10:14 PM
right...well, i would never do something to the set so i could solve this problem, however, i'm not one to sit by and get screwed .....especially after paying out 3k for a freaking TV set..

i just got through a 2 month assault on SUNCOM to get my Early Termination fee waived, and i've picketed a car dealership once for a week...

i'm just starting, but here's the deal....if there was something (software, CD ROM) or something that would just FIX it....i would be more than glad to do that and just let them off the hook...

i swear...this thing is huge and it took 3 of us to get it on the TV stand....it weighs 263 lbs, so i DONT want to hear about sending it back if i can possibly help it...

Dr. Rosenrosen
09-17-2008, 01:03 AM
I had a dead pixel issue with my Sony projection LCD. They started popping up in the center of the screen. I did have an extended warranty from Circuit City. When the guy came to look at it, he did mention the pixel policy - that usually there has to be about a dozen before they will consider it defective. BUT... b/c all of my dead pixels (about 5 of them) were in the center of the viewing area, they replaced the projection mirror. I know projection LCD is not the same as flat screen LCD, but maybe there is an argument to be made depending on the general location of the dead pixels. If they are around the edges, you may have a tougher time until you reach the 12 dead pixel threshold. But if they are in the central viewing area, maybe you can make a case for replacement. Also, the repair guy was pretty dubious about "home remedies" for dead pixels. At least in the case of the projection LCD, when one of the tiny mirrors goes, it goes. Nothing can fix it except a new mirror.