PDA

View Full Version : Football 2-1

GADevilFan
09-15-2008, 01:39 PM
What a difference a year makes. Hats off to the players, fans, and coaching staff for the 2-1 start to the football season. Obviously, Duke has not played the toughest portion of it's schedule.... but.... steps, strides, maybe sprints in the right direction.

I was just looking at the schedule. We are hitting the time where every game will be the "game of the year." However, Virginia looms large. A truly winable conference game....a conference game in which Duke will be surely favored. A win gives us 3... half way to bowl eligibility!

However, after UVA the schedule gets much, much tougher. I will be watching closely to see how competitive we can be against teams like Wake, VA Tech and Clemson. As fans, we need to realize, we won't win them all. However.... if we can win several more... and hang close in the ones we don't win....I'm thinking coach of the year.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2008, 06:51 PM
However, after UVA the schedule gets much, much tougher. I will be watching closely to see how competitive we can be against teams like Wake, VA Tech and Clemson. As fans, we need to realize, we won't win them all. However.... if we can win several more... and hang close in the ones we don't win....I'm thinking coach of the year.

Several of the games after UVA include either currently ranked teams, or teams just outside the rankings but with enough votes for mention. It will be exciting to see how we handle those teams.

RelativeWays
09-15-2008, 07:06 PM
Duke always plays Wake tough, you never know what will happen if we get a big play to go our way. I think Clemson and Miami are Ls, VT, probably an L but this has been the best time for Duke to sneak a win on them since they joined. State is looking really beatable but who knows how they'll be in November, UNC is hatred and you can never tell how that will go. GT...I think GT is better than people thought originally, but they are beatable. Same goes for Vandy. It would be tough, but beating the Commodores is doable. I will be very proud if we hit 4 or 5 wins and hang close in the games we lose. 5-6 wins is honestly a dream scenario given our recent past.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-15-2008, 07:16 PM
Several of the games after UVA include either currently ranked teams, or teams just outside the rankings but with enough votes for mention. It will be exciting to see how we handle those teams.
The schedule does get tougher each week, but our team also gets better. I think we've finally hired a coach who knows what it takes to prepare the team to play well and win games.

Go Duke! Beat the Wahveliers!

Fight! Blue Devils, Fight!
Here in Durham town
There's a universitee
And tonight those tower bells of Duke
Will ring out merrilee
See that old Blue Devil smoke
Arising to the sky
There's something doing
There's vict'ry brewing
Don't you hear that battle cry:
Fight! Fight! BlueDevils
Fight for Duke and the Blue and White
March on thru
To the touchdowns there for you
Go get 'em
Duke is out to win today
Carolina, good night
So turn on the steam, team!
Fight Blue Devils, Fight!

copyright 1943 by Shapiro, Bernstein & Co.

Uncle Drew
09-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I must say I am proud of the Duke Football team for what they have done thus far. They are a few plays from being undefeated at this point, ad most of us judging by the way they have played think they should be. We can see improvement in every area when compared to last year. I liked Coach Roof, and this is no slight on him. But it is obvious that Cut knows how to caoch, train and inspire. And perhaps most importantly he has hired assistants who have improved players techniques and shown them little things to improve their play.

Last season I thought we had a good defense, but they stayed on the field so much they got tired at the end of games. The guys on D looked even better than last year and the offense being able to move the ball has made them fresher in the fourth quarter.

The offense has been hurt without some running experience due to injury. But the replacements have ben more than adequate in my opinion. And while I have never been a fan of a two quarterback system. I think the two main QB's have pushed each other to be better. And when one isn't moving the ball as well as expected (perhaps due to the opponent preparing for that QB in particular) it's nice to be able to snd an experienced playmaker in with different skill sets to change things up.

The special teams while not perfect look like completely different players. They have the right to be bloody proud of how much they have improved, especially the kickers. Here's hoping they take that improvement and build on it.

No game on the schedule is a guaranteed win by any means. But I will say I honestly expecy Duke to get an ACC win this season. AND with the ACC down in football I honestly think they can compete with any team left on their schedule. Now granted they have yet to play on the road and it will be interesting to see how they play away from WW. But let's face it, Duke has been losing so long schools have been making Duke their homecomming game for decades. I'm sure coaches will tell their teams this isn't the same old Duke. But I can't help but think Duke will shock a few teams in how much they have improved. Whether that will translate to a win in those games only time will tell. But my fingers are crossed, which by the way is making this very hard to type.

One thing that does worry me is it seems Duke is a second half team for whatever reason. If they are going to play with and possibly upset some of the teams remaining on their schedule they have to put points on the board early. At any rate GO DUKE, keep improving and thank you Coach Cut for using your EMT knowledge on the program!

gep
09-16-2008, 01:29 AM
I liked Coach Roof, and this is no slight on him. But it is obvious that Cut knows how to caoch, train and inspire. And perhaps most importantly he has hired assistants who have improved players techniques and shown them little things to improve their play.

I also liked Coach Roof, as I think he really was a good player's coach. However, not being a head coach in a high profile environment, made him not really "ready" to take Duke to the next level. Coach Cut, on the other hand, has proven to be a head coach that knows what it takes to get to the next level. And with his connections, his staff is also top-notch. I'm just still amazed that he actually came to Duke. This may be the biggest surprise of this (and future) seasons. Even if this year is not a "bowl eligible" year (yes, gotta be optimistic, huh?), the team and program has totally reversed itself so far. One of the things that worked, in my opinion, is the conditioning program, and that the players now know what it takes, and know that it works, and believe in the program... especially after the Navy game. GO DUKE!!!

Uncle Drew
09-16-2008, 06:56 AM
I also liked Coach Roof, as I think he really was a good player's coach. However, not being a head coach in a high profile environment, made him not really "ready" to take Duke to the next level. Coach Cut, on the other hand, has proven to be a head coach that knows what it takes to get to the next level. And with his connections, his staff is also top-notch. I'm just still amazed that he actually came to Duke. This may be the biggest surprise of this (and future) seasons. Even if this year is not a "bowl eligible" year (yes, gotta be optimistic, huh?), the team and program has totally reversed itself so far. One of the things that worked, in my opinion, is the conditioning program, and that the players now know what it takes, and know that it works, and believe in the program... especially after the Navy game. GO DUKE!!!

Roof was a Georgia boy, so since my mom is from GA I had a soft spot for the guy. And after a season opening loss to ECU a few years ago I wrote him an e-mail and he had the guts to write back. At any rate I couldn't agree with you more gep. The conditioning change from last season to this season is obvious. I honestly had no opinion on whom Duke should select as coach, but I have to think they made the right choice. There are so many positive changes in players / the team from last year it would be hard to name them all. Some are obvious and some subtle, but in games it looks like a totally different team from last season. This Cut guy is good. He's got me buying into everything he's preaching and I'm not even on the team!

davekay1971
09-16-2008, 07:40 AM
What a difference a year makes. Hats off to the players, fans, and coaching staff for the 2-1 start to the football season. Obviously, Duke has not played the toughest portion of it's schedule.... but.... steps, strides, maybe sprints in the right direction.

I was just looking at the schedule. We are hitting the time where every game will be the "game of the year." However, Virginia looms large. A truly winable conference game....a conference game in which Duke will be surely favored. A win gives us 3... half way to bowl eligibility!

I may be wrong, but I think only wins against FBS opponents count toward bowl eligibility...thus the win against JMU wouldn't count.

That being said, after 2 wins in the last 3 years, to even be able to talk about bowl eligibility is remarkable. I think I'm in agreement with some of the other posters - the UVa game is winnable, but each game afterward is harder. The away games, in particular, will be very challenging. We could potentially steal a win a win or two on the road, but any road victory will be an upset. The home games are more manageable - it's too early to tell how good Miami is, and UNC definitely has some talent, but neither of them is unbeatable - and NCSU, despite a strong defence, is very beatable given a truly anemic offense.

DevilWolf
09-16-2008, 07:46 AM
All wins count towards bowl eligibility now.

PumpkinFunk
09-16-2008, 07:53 AM
All wins count towards bowl eligibility now.

Did they change it? It used to be only 1 FCS win counted towards bowl eligibility as recently as... last year, I believe.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 08:22 AM
Did they change it? It used to be only 1 FCS win counted towards bowl eligibility as recently as... last year, I believe.

If you play more than one FCS team during the year, you need to join the FCS.:D

davekay1971
09-16-2008, 08:42 AM

Agreed!

Sorry I was off - I guess with there being so many bowls, the bowl eligibility criteria was loosened at some point. Hmmmm...if the JMU win counts.... What a difference a year, a coach, an attitude, etc, make.

Wander
09-16-2008, 12:17 PM
If you forgot our history and just look at how teams are playing, we should beat UVA and NC State, period. Add one upset somewhere along the way, and we'll be playing for bowl eligibility against UNC... and possibly to deny them a chance at the ACC title.

arnie
09-16-2008, 01:03 PM
If you forgot our history and just look at how teams are playing, we should beat UVA and NC State, period. Add one upset somewhere along the way, and we'll be playing for bowl eligibility against UNC... and possibly to deny them a chance at the ACC title.

I haven't joined the crowd that thinks the Holes will win the Coastal Division. They did look good against a team that has lost quite a bit from previous years, but they have a long way to make a believer. This week against VPI will probably tell us a lot!

Uncle Drew
09-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I haven't joined the crowd that thinks the Holes will win the Coastal Division. They did look good against a team that has lost quite a bit from previous years, but they have a long way to make a believer. This week against VPI will probably tell us a lot!

Arnie, we're in the same boat in not gift wrapping anything for UNC yet. They struggled to beat McNeese St and beat a Rutgers team that lost a ton of quality experienced players from last years team. Now I'm not taking the Rutgers win with a grain of salt. I was thinking Rutgers would win, mainly because it was in NJ. And I figured if UNC won it would be close. Not to disagree, but explain how the VPI game will tell us much of anything the previous two games didn't tell us. VT I could see that statement holding a lot of weight even after their loss to ECU. Last I heard VPI wasn't ranked and hitting on all cylinders. IMO I don't think it's going to be easy to tell anything about any of the ACC teams until they get into the meat of their schedules. But hey I've been divorced twice, I know my opinion doesn't matter. :rolleyes:

I do think they look much better playing but only because the added the dark blue pants. However I think Duke may have grounds for a sexual harrassment lawsuit for UNC trying to get into Dukes pants.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Just looked to see how JMU has fared since losing to Duke in the opener. They won their last two, putting over 50 points on the board in each game. Yes, they are a FCS team, but obviously with that output they also are as advertised in being one of the best in their division. Speaks even more for Duke's game that day.

-bdbd
09-16-2008, 04:37 PM
I'd like to get some predictions, now that we have 3 games of empirical data to look at, re. what we're going to see the rest of the way. I see a team clearly improved over recent editions - especially in terms of attitude and conditioning. I also see a much more energized fan base.

I would actually predict 2 (or maybe possibly 3) ACC wins this season, and three more wins overall...for a final record of 5-7. that is a tremendous leap forward over the last few years. The problem with the increasingly harder sked is that we could play really well the rest of the way and still only come away with 1-2 more wins.

In order of increasing difficuly, here are the "reasonably winable" games remaining: UVA (Duke favored?), NCSU (Duke could be favored though pick'em seems most likely), Vandy (probably close), Miami (still down, playing in Durham), GT, UNC (rivalry game) and Wake (we always play well). In the "it would take a real stretch to win" category, I would place VPI and Clemson. Any disagreements?

The other serious question I have regards Coach Cut. I am clearly in the camp of those happy that Duke finally invested in a first rate coach and staff. Cut has a plan, is motivating the team and fans, and changing the culture. Recruiting is looking very solid as well. He is very popular - for good reason right now. BUT, what happens if we only win 1-2 games the rest of the way. Do the crowds still show up, is he still widely as well-regarded and is there any loss of momentum going into next year?

With the new ACC-afilliated Bowl starting up around Dec. 21st here in the DC area (to be played at Nationals Baseball Park) - ACC #9 vs. one of the Service Academies (Navy?), I'd really love to see us make it to 6 wins this year!!

Thoughts?

-bdbd :D

P.S. Side note: Listened to the Navy game on the Navy Radio Network in DC area... John Feinstein is, of course, one of the USNA commentators. Per his norm, he went out of his way to get a few digs in on the Duke Athletic department (example: "On such a hot day it sure would have been nice if Duke had (invested in) airconditioning in its visiting locker rooms...")

jimsumner
09-16-2008, 05:04 PM
"Wake (we always play well)"

Where are we getting this idea.

Last six Duke-Wake scores

2007 Wake 41-36
2006 Wake 14-13
2005 Wake 44-6
2004 Wake 24-22
2003 Wake 42-13 (42-0 at half)
2002 Wake 36-10

Note that last year's game was 34-9 before Duke made a late push. Duke's final TD was with a minute left.

Some competitive losses but a long way from always.

wilson
09-16-2008, 05:21 PM

2007 Wake 41-36
2006 Wake 14-13
2005 Wake 44-6
2004 Wake 24-22
2002 Wake 36-10

Note that last year's game was 34-9 before Duke made a late push. Duke's final TD was with a minute left.

Thank you...I've been well-exposed to the Wake program in recent years, what with my Wake grad brother and all. We have been inordinately competitive a couple of times (most notably in 2006), but if we play them close this year, it will be a remarkable accomplishment for our team. Wake is among the frontrunners for the ACC crown at this point.
I too would be happy with 5-7, but that's frustrating in that it's only one game away from bowl eligibility. It makes me want to stretch and try to find another "available" win somewhere on the schedule, but unfortunately, I just don't think it's there.
That said, I will still be pulling hard for this team. I think we'll look back on this squad as a tangible bridge to an era of Duke football where we can turn on the TV and not only just watch our Blue Devils (too rare an occasion these days), but expect them to compete for a win, and not to hope against hope that they'll be in a bowl game, but wonder which one it will be. I don't care where or when the next Duke bowl game is...I will be there, period.

bjornolf
09-16-2008, 05:52 PM
Yes, JMU is perenially VERY strong in their division. I have friends who are alums, so I kind of follow them on the side.

I think we have a better chance of beating Miami than VT. Despite their offensive woes, their D is still very strong. They have a young QB who will get better as the season progresses, and they will be playing at home. Miami is better than last year, but I don't think they're all that yet, and we have them at WW. That makes a HUGE difference in college. It could be chilly when they play, which would play into Duke's hands. A night game would be a HUGE advantage.

Duke is a decent team that has made HUGE strides this year. I think we've already stuffed it in Maxim's face, who said in their last issue that we'd be the worst team in Division I. They've picked us for that honor three years in a row now, and I think we can safely say that we've broken that mold as long as we keep playing like this the rest of the year, even if we don't win another game. We may still be a year or so from a bowl, but we have a solid football team that can hold their heads high and feel pride in their improvement and accomplishments this year.

PumpkinFunk
09-16-2008, 06:01 PM
In order of increasing difficuly, here are the "reasonably winable" games remaining: UVA (Duke favored?), NCSU (Duke could be favored though pick'em seems most likely), Vandy (probably close), Miami (still down, playing in Durham), GT, UNC (rivalry game) and Wake (we always play well). In the "it would take a real stretch to win" category, I would place VPI and Clemson. Any disagreements?

I pretty much agree with these picks. UVA and State, we should be favored (State maybe not as much as UVA, but definitely we're favored against a way-down UVA team and a not-so-hot State team). Carolina is a rivalry game, and I'm not drinking the kool-aid about them, because I saw them play last year and saw them play against a way-down Rutgers team. All of those fall in the 50% or more range for me.

GT and Miami I'm sort of 50-50 on where to place. They both have lots of potential and look quite good, but also have some nasty downsides which make them quite upset-prone on a bad game. The positive for us about GT is they run the Navy offense with some more passing and made a lot of mistakes which let VT beat them. The negative (for us) is that they've got a hell of a lot more talent than Navy, which will make it a tough game. It's also in Atlanta. I'd expect it to be relatively close (as compared to the past), as they are still getting the hang of the triple option offense, but I think they're definitely favored there. Miami is a big question mark. They couldn't put together a full good game against Florida, and I'm not sure how they'll do against lesser opponents. They're a young team which will be back up top in 2-3 years, and even potentially win our division this year with its huge weakness.

Vandy... I'm really not sure, TBH. I saw the South Carolina game, but they have a tendency to upset 1 better team in the SEC. They're still the weakest there, but it's the SEC. The one plus: Coach Cut knows them well.

And Wake... I would place them up there with VT and Clemson as the "It'll take a miracle to bear" teams. All 3 are just so good overall and this is most definitely the year for both Clemson and Wake to make their best showings, and even rebuilding, Tyrod Taylor on VT is gonna save them. Tech is definitely the most vulnerable, and Clemson, if they play an uninspired game, is the next one. The one thing I will say about Wake that doesn't quite apply to Clemson and VT: The talent levels aren't as different, they just have had an amazing coach who makes them play so well.

4 wins is definitely possible (I'd say 2-3 is a good range, though) and more would be superb. The one thing to consider is that any game is winnable here. Even the top 3 teams have huge weaknesses - Clemson's uninspired play, VT's internal QB strife and massive losses from last year, and Wake's smaller talent differential compared to each of those. We have 9 games left, so let's take them one at a time rather than as a whole. For now, I'm focused on beating the Hoos (a school I have many reasons to dislike)

-bdbd
09-16-2008, 06:07 PM

2007 Wake 41-36
2006 Wake 14-13
2005 Wake 44-6
2004 Wake 24-22
2002 Wake 36-10

=====

Jim,

I dunno - I'd say 3 out of last 4 being within 5 points -- IN AN ERA WHEN WAKE HAS USU. BEEN AMONG THE TOPS OF THE ACC (and Duke in last) -- qualifies as pretty surprisingly competitive. That said, I hail from an era (AB 83 and MBA 89) when we actually EXPECTED to beat Wake every year... Alas, not so any more - but we're on the right course! Anybody know the lifetime W-L total of the Duke-Wake series? :p

BTW, anybody else worry that the ACC would seem to be on the rise in the coming few years (could it get much lower than present???!) , and that could negate some of the Duke improvements that seem headed our way??

-BDBD

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2008, 06:15 PM
I don't pretend to be a football analyst. Perhaps my approach to analyzing football is a little like MJ Byron "Whizzer" White's opinion written about a pornography case brought before the Supremes: I know it (good football) when I see it. Every week this team is better than they were the week before. The future is full of potential and possibles. I don't know the limits yet and I don't think the team does either.

What we have is not just a great football coach.... we have the complete package... a staff who work separately and together as well or better than any other staff in college football this year. They don't need a get acquainted period to work out things among themselves. They arrived as a fully functioning very effective unit..... just look at what they've done in recruiting! and kicking! and on and on.

I like savoring every game as it comes along. Are we going to lose some along the way? Probably. Will we win some more? Definitely. Right now I'm looking forward to the Virginia game and settling up an old account.

Go Duke! Beat the Wahvaliers!

jimsumner
09-16-2008, 06:38 PM
bdbd,

Maybe we have a different interpretation of the word "always." :)

dkbaseball
09-16-2008, 07:07 PM
MJ Byron "Whizzer" White's opinion written about a pornography case brought before the Supremes: I know it (good football) when I see it.

It was White's colleague Potter Stewart.

jv001
09-16-2008, 07:42 PM
I like what I see so far with the new coaching staff. They are making excellent adjustments at half time and the team is in the best condition ever. I think VA is in for a big suprise. Go Duke!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-16-2008, 07:46 PM
It was White's colleague Potter Stewart.
Thank you! I see your memory's better than mine.

CameronBornAndBred
09-16-2008, 10:57 PM

Well I'll be...guess what FSU scheduled this year? 2 FCS teams...geez. And from what I'm reading here (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8568502#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8568668), lots of bigwig teams schedule 2 of them.

wilson
09-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Well I'll be...guess what FSU scheduled this year? 2 FCS teams...geez. And from what I'm reading here (http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/pgStory?contentId=8568502#sport=COLLEGE%20FOOTBALL&photo=8568668), lots of bigwig teams schedule 2 of them.

Not sure what your point is, but the fact remains that that's pretty lame.

gep
09-17-2008, 01:21 AM
The other serious question I have regards Coach Cut. I am clearly in the camp of those happy that Duke finally invested in a first rate coach and staff. Cut has a plan, is motivating the team and fans, and changing the culture. Recruiting is looking very solid as well. He is very popular - for good reason right now. BUT, what happens if we only win 1-2 games the rest of the way. Do the crowds still show up, is he still widely as well-regarded and is there any loss of momentum going into next year?

I think that Coach Cut, at least so far, has shown that he knows more than a few ways to get Duke back to the next level. I also think that even if Duke wins only 1 or 2 games the rest of the way, I'm hoping that they Duke remains competitive, and has a chance to win at the end... like the Northwestern game. If that happens, I think the football culture, team, fans, even the administration, have already taken a U-turn for the better, and only 1 or 2 more wins will still be hailed as an accomplishment, and there will be even more support. I think the momentum going into next year is maybe more a function of not how many wins Duke has this year, but the "direction" the football program is going. :)

davekay1971
09-17-2008, 08:33 AM
I think that Coach Cut, at least so far, has shown that he knows more than a few ways to get Duke back to the next level. I also think that even if Duke wins only 1 or 2 games the rest of the way, I'm hoping that they Duke remains competitive, and has a chance to win at the end... like the Northwestern game. If that happens, I think the football culture, team, fans, even the administration, have already taken a U-turn for the better, and only 1 or 2 more wins will still be hailed as an accomplishment, and there will be even more support. I think the momentum going into next year is maybe more a function of not how many wins Duke has this year, but the "direction" the football program is going. :)

If I remember correctly, Spurrier built toward his 3rd, final, and best year, and the Duke momentum and excitement built right along with him. The Duke fanbase, while not used to winning football, is savvy enough to know that it takes time to build a winning program. Just seeing the kids that suffered so badly the last few years now fighting and succeeding (at any level) will be appreciated by our fans. If we end up winning 3 or 4 games this year, that will definitely carry over into increased season ticket sales and excitement for next year(s). Take the solid coaching, game planning, and effort that you see with this team, and add in the talent that Cutcliffe is bringing in, and you have the makings of a competitive program. So, yes, I agree that the Duke fans will continue to be excited by the direction of the program, in addition to the success of this year's team.

bjornolf
09-17-2008, 10:20 AM
We had Wake two years ago. If that corner hadn't jumped about 12 feet in the air a couple yards downfield, we would have hit that last second, chip shot, field goal. That one really ripped my heart out.

And I remember a few years ago, we led UVA with two minutes to go. We had them in 3rd and LONG, and one of our linebackers got a sack for a HUGE loss. He then stood up and saluted the UVA student section because UVA didn't offer him a scholarship and he was a local who had wanted to go there. WEAK, 15 yard personal foul for taunting, automatic 1st down. UVA went on to score a TD and win by a couple. That one hurt bad too.

jimsumner
09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
"And I remember a few years ago, we led UVA with two minutes to go. We had them in 3rd and LONG, and one of our linebackers got a sack for a HUGE loss. He then stood up and saluted the UVA student section because UVA didn't offer him a scholarship and he was a local who had wanted to go there. WEAK, 15 yard personal foul for taunting, automatic 1st down. UVA went on to score a TD and win by a couple. That one hurt bad"

It was 1997. The game was tied 10-10 in the last seconds. Duke DE Chris Combs got a third-down sack that pushed UVA out of field-goal range and set up an apparent OT. But Combs was hit with an unsportsmanlike penalty for the salute and UVA kicked the field goal for the 13-10 win.

Combs was a native of Roanoke. His father Glen was one of the best basketball players in Virginia Tech history.

For real Duke-UVA acrimony, we need to go back to the Spurrier-Welsh days. Snarky things were said. Feelings were hurt.

bjornolf
09-17-2008, 04:08 PM
That was 1997? Really? Man, that was the year I graduated from Duke (in the spring before that game). I could have sworn it was later than that, but okay. I must be getting old. Memories from 10 years ago seem like last year. Of course, up here in DC, I'm lucky to see a game or two of Duke football a year, so I guess that makes some sense.

How far off am I about the Wake loss I mentioned? Was that 10 years ago too?