PDA

View Full Version : CB Taylor Sowell to Duke!

CLT Devil
09-14-2008, 11:48 PM
Awesome news! I think he had basically decided to go to Carolina but changed his mind. CB from the South Carolina. Whatever Cutcliffe is doing, it's working.

Edouble
09-14-2008, 11:51 PM
For those of us who don't follow football recruiting, who is this? I take it he is a highly regarded CB prospect for next year's incoming class?

Oriole Way
09-14-2008, 11:57 PM
I'd be interested to hear more about him, and why he changed his mind.

CLT Devil
09-15-2008, 12:04 AM
I don't know too much about him, other than he's a highly rated CB, class of 2009. Apparently changed his mind, don't know for what reason. Anytime a Tarheel recruit uncommits and then commits to Duke its news here in CLT. Have a bunch of tarheel fans that follow recruiting very closely and they were not happy

budwom
09-15-2008, 08:22 AM
The best gauge of how good he is: he had offers from Miami, Virginia, Georgia Tech, WV, and Carolina, of course.

With the current frosh we have in our defensive backfield (Daniels, Butler, James et al) and next year's commits, Duke will soon have vastly more speed and ability in the secondary, something which should cut down on the number of big plays we tend to give up.

The major task now is to hold on to the recruits we have until signing day. Winning games sure doesn't hurt.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Gotta love stealing any recruit in any sport from Carolina. Neener neener.
Scout.com has him at the #53 CB, 3 stars; rivals has him at #51 CB.

wilko
09-15-2008, 10:22 AM
This is great news.
It is hot wax on the clamps for our friends down the road. That always makes me smile.

But it kinda raises a larger question... and peraps those in the "know" could hint, if not respond directly.....

Re: The recruits we currently have in the truck for FB... Based on the onfield performance so far this year

Whats their collective Pulse on the program?
Liking the direction?, waivering?, cold feet?, PSYCHED?

Someone on some other thread had hinted stongly that several other prized recruits were watching closely before pulling the trigger on a commit. Are they getting sweaty hands and an itchy trigger finger yet?

My hopes at the beginning of the year were: 3 games we'd win outright, cuz we were the better team ...and then 3 other games we would hotly contest and be in a position to win and snakebite someone.

So with all the changes Coach Cut has put in place... and the direct correlation to the scoreboard... Im hopefull all this is opening some eyes for recruits and making other local programs very very nervious.

Especially the "gimps" down the road..

Devilsfan
09-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Cut's the MAN!!

budwom
09-15-2008, 11:54 AM
This is great news.
It is hot wax on the clamps for our friends down the road. That always makes me smile.

But it kinda raises a larger question... and peraps those in the "know" could hint, if not respond directly.....

Re: The recruits we currently have in the truck for FB... Based on the onfield performance so far this year

Whats their collective Pulse on the program?
Liking the direction?, waivering?, cold feet?, PSYCHED?

Someone on some other thread had hinted stongly that several other prized recruits were watching closely before pulling the trigger on a commit. Are they getting sweaty hands and an itchy trigger finger yet?

My hopes at the beginning of the year were: 3 games we'd win outright, cuz we were the better team ...and then 3 other games we would hotly contest and be in a position to win and snakebite someone.

So with all the changes Coach Cut has put in place... and the direct correlation to the scoreboard... Im hopefull all this is opening some eyes for recruits and making other local programs very very nervious.

Especially the "gimps" down the road..

I suspect only the staff knows the answer to your questions, but I think I could safely say that our performance thus far has done nothing to hurt our chances. We have a real football team now. Whether this translates into luring some of the big fish still on our list (e.g. offensive lineman B.Williams) and retaining all of our commits remains to be seen.

Uncle Drew
09-21-2008, 01:29 AM
Taylor Sowell has changed the shade of blue he will wear as a college football player and also his destination.

Sowell, a 5-10, 180-pound cornerback from Roebuck, S.C., committed to Duke after a campus visit last weekend. He had previously committed to North Carolina, but he and UNC parted ways in August. Sowell considered Georgia Tech and West Virginia before deciding on Duke.

http://www2.journalnow.com/content/2008/sep/20/cornerback-switches-from-north-carolina-to-duke/

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2008, 10:36 AM
That would make 2 UNC recruits that changed to Duke. Neener neener.
(oops, was the same game guy.) http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11362

Uncle Drew
09-21-2008, 11:06 AM
That would make 2 UNC recruits that changed to Duke. Neener neener.
(oops, was the same game guy.) http://www.dukebasketballreport.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11362

I looked for another post on the guy in the first couple pages but didn't see one, had someone else already posted about him? The article was date the 20th, I can't keep track. And is 5'10" an average height for a corner back, I thought hey were supposed to be fast and tall.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2008, 12:46 PM
I looked for another post on the guy in the first couple pages but didn't see one, had someone else already posted about him? The article was date the 20th, I can't keep track. And is 5'10" an average height for a corner back, I thought hey were supposed to be fast and tall.

Click the link, you will find the other post. And I agree on the height, he must have one hell of a vertical leap. The guy for FSU is 6'6".

Uncle Drew
09-21-2008, 01:01 PM
6'6"!!! Well this Sowell kid states he is a physical defender. If he can disrupt timing patterns within the first five yards that will help. Plus recievers of any height are going to catch the ball eventually. If you can get defenders that will knock a guy out of their shoulder pads that goes even further.

footballfan2
09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Sowell was initially committed to UNC, but for whatever reason he still wanted to keep his options open and notified the UNC staff of this. Given this the UNC staff stopped recruiting him. The only major program I know that does this on a regular basis is Texas (Mack Brown)... so I'm not 100% sure why UNC would give up on him.