PDA

View Full Version : Ladies, Gentlemen,.......HURLEY.

EarlJam
09-14-2008, 07:33 PM
Not sure why I "you tubed" it tonight, but this is a pleasure. Mr. quick, fearless, TOUGH, all-seeing.

Not just "feet" quick. He's "eye" quick. Catch, find, release.

He was so awesome. That's why I have a lizard named after him.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXmRDevSgs

The end of the video, Hurley: "They were obviously very confident with their words. We were confident with our play and that's what mattered."

I love that mother flubber. Duke's greatest all-around player ever.

-EJ

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2008, 09:25 PM
Good stuff, nice memories EJ. I love how in the pre-computer graphic days they had Bucky Waters at a whiteboard.

bigj4194
09-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Fantastic! Great quote by Hurley and a wonderful performance by him.

SilkyJ
09-14-2008, 10:29 PM
god i loved that.

we've seen that backdoor alley oop a few times from paulus to gerald. a know its a lot to compare them to guys with their jerseys in the rafters, but here's we see some more resemblances this year.

ArkieDukie
09-14-2008, 11:23 PM
Thanks EJ. This brought back lots of memories. I'm a HUGE fan of Hurley; not many players have the court vision that he had. Simply amazing.

I haven't watched this game in years, but I have fond memories of it. I was there; it was just before one of my big oral exams (I was a grad student). I was sick with walking pneumonia when I took the exam, largely as a result of this game. It was well worth it.

balkan boy
09-15-2008, 02:16 PM
EarlJam, Hurley is, in a runaway, my all-time favorite player, but I still might have to call you on "Duke's greatest all-around player ever." ;) ... Not even sure he was the best all-around player on that team.... I definitely give him Duke's best point guard though (even if some of you out there like Williams more).

Thanks for the memories, god that team was great...

Balkan Boy

BobbyFan
09-15-2008, 05:51 PM
As my handle would suggest, I enjoyed that. Thanks.

Uncle Drew
09-16-2008, 03:21 PM
[QUOTE=EarlJam;193089]Not sure why I "you tubed" it tonight, but this is a pleasure. Mr. quick, fearless, TOUGH, all-seeing.

Not just "feet" quick. He's "eye" quick. Catch, find, release.

He was so awesome. That's why I have a lizard named after him.

Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdXmRDevSgs

The end of the video, Hurley: "They were obviously very confident with their words. We were confident with our play and that's what mattered."

I love that mother flubber. Duke's greatest all-around player ever.

Thanks for the link Earl. I think one of the things that made BH so special is he was so fundamentally soud yet could make that special play when needed. I must confess it almost makes me want to cry when I think about his accident and what might have been. I don't think he would have been a year after year all star. But I think he would have had a long carreer making those around him that much better. I can't cry however knowing he has been successful doing the horse thing and I can't aford a horse hair brush to paint with. Thanks again Earl. And thank you Bobby for your dedication, gutsy play and being true blue.

j(ay)mike
09-16-2008, 04:02 PM
Thank you for this, EarlJam.
At the 4-minute mark. First row, tv-side, the kids in the t-shirts that spelled C-H-I-E-F-!
I'm the H.
I remember it like it was yesterday.
Not sure I ever heard that building that loud.
Good times...

DBFAN
09-16-2008, 05:04 PM
I was only in 8th grade but those were some amazing memories

2535Miles
09-16-2008, 05:22 PM
EarlJam, fantastic post. I cannot think of a better thread for you to start off the OTB. Now, come back.

phaedrus
09-16-2008, 05:39 PM
...I still might have to call you on "Duke's greatest all-around player ever." ;) ... Not even sure he was the best all-around player on that team....

Seems like those two titles are synonymous, no matter which guy you go with.

Faison1
09-16-2008, 06:32 PM
Man.....that was awesome!! Probably the golden years of Duke Basketball (maybe).

On a slightly different note, (considering the incredible respect I have for Hurley's ability and energy), why didn't K ever pick him as an assistant? I think Hurley expressed interest at one point. He seems like a natural fit....and a legend......

dukestheheat
09-16-2008, 11:00 PM
Hurley was fearless, a true pirate on defense, and he just had the knack of a winner. He played so hard, all the time.

His first year, he was petulant and prone to great mood swings. I remember the story about K making a video of his facial expressions and how his moods affected the play of the team; from then on, Hurley became a true warrior for Duke.

I want to see Nolan Smith turn it up one notch to become that type of guard for Duke.

When I saw the Crazies jumping around, it reminded me of my times in Cameron 'back in the day', and I want that again.

Hey, old Crazies can still rock it baby.

dth.

Edouble
09-17-2008, 01:24 AM
His first year, he was petulant and prone to great mood swings.

...and other digestive issues. ;)