PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut 45, Virginia 10

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 09:59 PM
Duke's next opponent currently is losing to UConn 45-3 early in the fourth.

Don't count your horses and all that. But still.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2008, 10:15 PM
UVa has issues.

Go Duke!!!!!!!!!

RelativeWays
09-13-2008, 10:20 PM
UVA's butt kicking at the hands of UConn doesn't surprise me. UMDs win over Cal though, sure as hell did.

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 10:33 PM
I'm not surprised the "hoos lost. But I wasn't expecting 45-10.

ugadevil
09-13-2008, 10:41 PM
That UConn vs. UNC game is shaping up to be a good one.

wolfpackdevil
09-13-2008, 10:42 PM
I know Virginia is getting destroyed by UCONN, and lost by 45 points to USC, and only beat Richmond by 16, but they are still a tough ACC team and Duke is for now Duke.

Virginia is a good ACC team, led by a great coach in Al Groh. Duke has not won an acc game in 3 years, but on September 27th that is all going to change.

I still think this will be a great, close, hard fought game, but the Blue Devils have shown great passing ability and a great Defensive line. If they can pile up a couple hundred rushing yards against UVA, they should be able to win the game.

Virginia is definitely having a down year, and it should be a great game.

Hopefull it will be a night game and we wont have to worry about people having heat strokes like we did today!!!

GO DUKE!!!!

VaDukie
09-13-2008, 10:45 PM
At this rate Groh may not have a job in two weeks.

RelativeWays
09-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Duke hung with last years UVA team through the 4th quarter when the 'hoos lead 17-14 in the 4th quarter, then scored another touchdown under 5 minutes to put the game away. That was in Charlottesville and this year's UVA team is nowhere near that team. Duke limits mistakes and plays with confidence, they'll win by 13.

DST Fan
09-14-2008, 10:47 AM
One aspect of the UVA/UConn game that may bode well for Duke is that UVA received a decent performance from Marc Verica, who filled in at QB for Peter Lalich (suspended for the game for an underage drinking incident). Verica's numbers were respectable but the UVA defense gave up 506 yards, 382 of which were rushing yards.

Uncle Drew
09-14-2008, 11:16 AM
The schedule I saw said game time for UVA at Duke is TBA. Anyone have any idea what time Duke is leaning towards? I of course vote for a night game (and so did anyone who went to yesterdays game :rolleyes:) but it shouldn't be quite as hot in two weeks.

I had thought Duke would be a leg up on UVA having next week off to prepare an extra week. But it seems UVA has the same week off. So whom it benefits more I have no idea. I hope our boys come in and play a fired up, funadmentally sound game for a big long over due ACC win. GO DUKE! Beat those Hoos your daddy?!

ehdg
09-14-2008, 11:34 AM
Granted from all reports I've seen and heard the weather yesterday was brutal. I understand folks would prefer a night game to make it easier to sit through and watch. But I'm wondering if maybe a day game again would be an advantage for our team. With all the conditioning Coach Cut put our boys through makes me think the weather could be more of an issue for uva then for us.

calltheobvious
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
I know Virginia is getting destroyed by UCONN, and lost by 45 points to USC, and only beat Richmond by 16, but they are still a tough ACC team and Duke is for now Duke.

Virginia is a good ACC team, led by a great coach in Al Groh. Duke has not won an acc game in 3 years, but on September 27th that is all going to change.

I still think this will be a great, close, hard fought game, but the Blue Devils have shown great passing ability and a great Defensive line. If they can pile up a couple hundred rushing yards against UVA, they should be able to win the game.

Virginia is definitely having a down year, and it should be a great game.

Hopefull it will be a night game and we wont have to worry about people having heat strokes like we did today!!!

GO DUKE!!!!

I'm sorry, but the notion that Virginia is a good team is absurd. Virginia would be a low-to-mid-tier Conference USA team, and would struggle mightily to finish top-two in the Sun Belt. They're awful. And really, that's being rude to the word 'awful.'

Olympic Fan
09-14-2008, 12:00 PM
Duke might not have a choice as to game time. That's up to TV ... only if all the TV networks pass on the game, will Duke get to choose the kickoff -- and I guarantee that the choice will be at 7 p.m.

The TV start times are chosen 12 days in advantage -- so we should know by midday Monday (the networks have a six-day option the can use three times during the season, but they just used one last weekend and will probably save the other two until later in the season).

ABC gets the first choice of games -- they can pick 3:30 or 8 p.m. (although 3:30 is more likely for an ACC game). Under contract, one ACC game will be picked for the 3:30 slot for regional telecast (unless the league gets an 8 p.m. national game).

ESPN gets to choose two or three games for its various networks -- the Duke-Navy game was picked up by ESPNU and the network, not Duke, dictated the noon start.

The contract with those networks now gives the networks the right to dictate the start times -- the schools used to be able to refuse (it happened occasionally), but to get the new deal with more money, the ACC surrendered all control.

Raycom gets a noon game. That's a different deal. Not sure if we can refuse that one or not, but it's hard to see any school giving up a free spot.

After that, the schools can make any deal they want with the likes of CSTV, the Sunshine Network, etc.

Okay, what are the chances Duke-Virginia gets picked up by TV?

Here are the other options that day:
UNC-Miami
Maryland-Clemson
Colorado-FSU (in Jax ... home team gets TV rights in intersectional game)
South Florida at N.C. State
Navy at Wake Forest
Duke-Virginia
Rhode Island at Boston College
Virginia Tech is at Nebraska, but that's a Big 12 TV game ...

In TV eyes, I would think that Duke-Virginia is better than Boston College-Rhode Island. But that's it. The first three games listed clearly will be the ABC and ESPN games. USF and Wake are ranked teams, which probably makes one of those a better game for Raycom, unless ESPN takes three ACC games.

I think there's a good chance Duke-UVa will not be on TV ... that will mean a 7 p.m. start.

But we should know Monday.

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2008, 12:19 PM
Okay, what are the chances Duke-Virginia gets picked up by TV?

I think those chances are excellent after our win yesterday. We will find out by tomorrow evening.

RelativeWays
09-15-2008, 07:53 AM
Looking at that list objectively, I don't think the Duke-UVA will be picked up by TV. You have the perennial cellar dweller versus one of the worst bowl subdivision teams this year. It would be like the Detroit Lions vs Oakland Raiders for the game of the week to a lot of college football fans. I'll be driving to the beach that Saturday so I wont be able to watch it anyway unless its a night game.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2008, 08:27 AM
I've changed my mind on the TV thing, not because Duke does not deserve it, but because UVA has had all of their games televised so far. I don't think they will give them 4 in a row. The only thing going for Duke as far as a TV possibility is that none of UVA's games were on Raycom.

CameronBornAndBred
09-15-2008, 08:28 AM
I'll be driving to the beach that Saturday so I wont be able to watch it anyway unless its a night game.

And I'll be driving from the beach to watch the game. I'll wave as I pass you.

DukeDude
09-15-2008, 10:07 AM
I'd love to see the game at 7 with a HUGE crowd. If it does get picked up for Raycom, I think it would be because it is a conference game, while Wake and State are playing out of conference. Putting on my TV exec hat, I'd pick Navy-Wake.

RelativeWays
09-15-2008, 11:34 AM
Wake-Navy would be fun to watch from a football fan perspective, the UNC-Miami and Clemson- UMD games could be fun as well.

revmel53
09-15-2008, 11:56 AM
I expect the Virginia game to be picked up by Raycom, even though 7 p.m. games are the bomb...

stals
09-15-2008, 12:32 PM
On its website, Raycom shows the Maryland-Clemson game as its noon telecast on Sept. 27.

budwom
09-15-2008, 01:02 PM
Duke-UVA is at Noon, televised on ESPNU.