PDA

View Full Version : Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton to Duke

watzone
09-13-2008, 06:18 PM
They've been on campus all day and made their selection today. http://bluedevilnation.net/

beach rev
09-13-2008, 06:28 PM
Great news, Wat! Thanks for the update.

taiw93
09-13-2008, 06:29 PM
Yes! What a day: we beat Navy in football and scored two big bball commitments. Thanks for the update, Watzone.

smittendevil
09-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Good stuff!

Thanks Watzone :D

HDB
09-13-2008, 06:51 PM
How highly rated are these two by the recruiting "gurus"?

Lord Ash
09-13-2008, 07:00 PM
All sorts of awesome. Thanks so much for the news, Wat!

bigj4194
09-13-2008, 07:09 PM
Thanks for the update Watzone!!!! Great news!

BlueintheFace
09-13-2008, 07:13 PM
Watzone, you make me so happy!!

heyman25
09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
Fantastic! Great news for Duke University. I see Hairston and Thornton being similar to Deron Williams and Carlos Boozer. They know each others moves. Getting some positive news on recruiting will open up other prospects to making a decision sooner. Time will tell. Still have to wait 2 years before they are wearing Duke jersies. However this is the best news of the month coupled with Duke football winning and on its way back to respectability.

watzone
09-13-2008, 07:15 PM
It was one heckuva day for Duke University. It's really nice to have a three man class in 2010 already.

BlueintheFace
09-13-2008, 07:16 PM
Alright, now lets add Barnes and Smith for the greatest recruiting class in Duke History!!!

Sandman
09-13-2008, 08:03 PM
According to Scout.com, BOTH Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton have committed!!! AND, we won another football game -- a goooood day.

FireOgilvie
09-13-2008, 08:19 PM
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good stuff. Half of our team will be from DC in the next few years.

watzone
09-13-2008, 08:28 PM
Alright, now lets add Barnes and Smith for the greatest recruiting class in Duke History!!!

Uh! Can we get a little Brandon Knight to?

CameronCrazy'11
09-13-2008, 08:44 PM
Dawkins, Thornton, and Hairston makes this an excellent class so far. If we can get even one of Barnes, Knight, or Smith to commit (and I think we will get one), and one other decent backup plan, then that would be an extremely solid class. If we could get 2 or even 3 to come on board, that would be a class for the ages. The kind national championships are built on.

soccerstud2210
09-13-2008, 09:06 PM
awesome news!!!!! with these two recruits, does that limit our chances with knight or barnes or smith? or do you think it helps maybe draw them in?

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 09:12 PM
"with these two recruits, does that limit our chances with knight or barnes or smith."

Who knows for sure but probably not. Smith is a pure 5, while Barnes is a pure 3. No overlap here. Knight and Thornton are both points but the assumption seems to be that Thornton is a four-year player, while Knight figures to be around well short of four years.

Perhaps more impact on class of '09. Will Kelly survey the landscape and find it too crowded for his taste? Or will he decide that playing with this much talent is just what the doctor ordered?

soccerstud2210
09-13-2008, 09:27 PM
so boynton and kelly are still very much in the mix of things, correct?

CameronCrazy'11
09-13-2008, 09:31 PM
so boynton and kelly are still very much in the mix of things, correct?

No doubt. I actually think we're getting a very good mix of guards and bigs.

ehdg
09-13-2008, 09:50 PM
This is great news for Duke BBAll!! :D Tks for the news Watzone! Wonder if taking in the football and seeing how much support they got may have helped a bit also?

pfrduke
09-13-2008, 10:17 PM
<smiling, dancing little jig> :D

Great news!

miramar
09-13-2008, 10:43 PM
A great day all around. Scout.com has Andre Dawkins (SG) ranked as the #23 recruit in the country, Josh Hairston (PF) #26, and Tyler Thornton (PG) #49.

These commitments will have to affect somebody, since Duke is supposedly in the mix (I don't know how seriously) for Harrison Barnes (SF, 3), Josh Smith (C, 4), Brandon Knight (PG, 5), Roscoe Smith (SF, 12), Doron Lamb (SG, 14), Michael Parker (SF, 25), and Nate Lubick (PF, 58).

Smith is the only center, but that makes two point guards, two shooting guards, and two power forwards, along with three small forwards. So I would assume that some of these guys will be removing Duke from their list fairly soon.

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2010

dkbaseball
09-13-2008, 10:49 PM
I'm pleased to see K working his home recruiting turf of the D.C. area again. His first coaching job was at Fort Belvoir in Northern Virginia, where his wife is from, and when he became coach at Duke it was natural for him to work the hoops area he was familiar with in his initial recruiting efforts. His first great team -- '85-'86 -- had six Washington area players on it, including K's most significant recruit, Johnny Dawkins.

Jarhead
09-13-2008, 10:58 PM
K's coaching career started while he was still in the Army. He was the coach at the Army Prep School at Ft Belvoir In Washington's Virginia suburbs. I am sure that he learned the ropes of DC area recruiting from that experience. Just to name a few of his DC area recruits -- Danny Ferry, Tommy Amaker, Grant Hill come to mind, and if I wasn't so sleepy, I could come up with a bunch more.

DevilCastDownfromDurham
09-13-2008, 11:00 PM
Yahooo! Welcome to Duke, fellows. We're delighted to have have you and can't wait to see you suit up and start writing your legacies.:)

dkbaseball
09-13-2008, 11:04 PM
K's coaching career started while he was still in the Army. He was the coach at the Army Prep School at Ft Belvoir In Washington's Virginia suburbs. I am sure that he learned the ropes of DC area recruiting from that experience. Just to name a few of his DC area recruits -- Danny Ferry, Tommy Amaker, Grant Hill come to mind, and if I wasn't so sleepy, I could come up with a bunch more.

I'm on the case -- In addition to those three, Dawkins, Burgin, King, John Smith, Palmer, Davis, Blakeney, Ast, Moore, Beard, James and Nolan Smith (though he prepped at Oak Hill). Also Wojo if you count Baltimore.

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 11:05 PM
Johnny Dawkins
Tommy Amaker
Billy King
Danny Ferry
John Smith
George Burgin
Brian Davis
Crawford Palmer
Grant Hill
Kenny Blakeney
Christian Ast
Tony Moore
Joey Beard
Nate James
Wojo

All from the D.C./Baltimore area

Not much lately but yes, it has been fruitful over the years.

beltwayBD
09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I saw my Wolverines crushed by ND, so the Duke win over Navy (2-1!) and this awesome recruiting news just made my alumni-day. What a class we'll have coming in 2010!

I watched the Czyz video today, and it looked like Miles Plumlee has grown into himself a bit -- all the pics on line made him look like and awkward adolescent. So far we've just got Mason Plumlee coming in 2009 right?

I think this is just more evidence that Coach K heading to Beijing was not exactly a liability for our recruiting. :cool:

gotham devil
09-13-2008, 11:25 PM
How highly rated are these two by the recruiting "gurus"?

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewrank.asp?SID=910&Year=2010&ra_key=1909

Rivals-14-Josh Hairston
54-Tyler Thornton

http://scouthoops.scout.com/a.z?s=75&p=9&c=4&cfg=bb&pid=88&yr=2010

Scout-26-Josh Hairston
48-Ty Thornton

http://slamonline.com/online/2008/09/the-slam-fresh-25-2010/

Slam-15-Josh Hairston-Equipped with a deadly face-up game, rebounding ability and post skills, Hairston is a protoypical four-man

18-Tyler Thornton-Thornton, a pure point guard who simply wins ballgames, locks down his opponents and keeps his teammates happy, but can put points on the board if needed

Ignatius07
09-13-2008, 11:53 PM
Johnny Dawkins
Tommy Amaker
Billy King
Danny Ferry
John Smith
George Burgin
Brian Davis
Crawford Palmer
Grant Hill
Kenny Blakeney
Christian Ast
Tony Moore
Joey Beard
Nate James
Wojo

All from the D.C./Baltimore area

Not much lately but yes, it has been fruitful over the years.

Don't forget Nolan Smith!

dukeballer2294
09-14-2008, 12:58 AM
I say yes k and the duke bball program always get the most credit for recruits, because well they recruited them but i think some goes to our football team winning today aswell as andre dawkins pestering them to commit to us.

NYC Duke Fan
09-14-2008, 05:24 AM
Is Plumlee the only committment ?

If Boynton chooses Florida , is there anyone else who is being recruited heavily by Coach K for this class ?

CameronCrazy'11
09-14-2008, 05:31 AM
Is Plumlee the only committment ?

If Boynton chooses Florida , is there anyone else who is being recruited heavily by Coach K for this class ?

Yes, so far Plumlee is the only commitment out of 2009. Kenny Boynton is a huge priority. Ryan Kelly seems to have also become a major target and garnered an offer. If we don't get both of those guys, we'll probably stay in it and try very hard for Jamil Wilson, who won't be committing until March. If we get Boynton and Kelly though, I doubt we go for anyone else.

Uncle Drew
09-14-2008, 07:22 AM
Yes, so far Plumlee is the only commitment out of 2009. Kenny Boynton is a huge priority. Ryan Kelly seems to have also become a major target and garnered an offer. If we don't get both of those guys, we'll probably stay in it and try very hard for Jamil Wilson, who won't be committing until March. If we get Boynton and Kelly though, I doubt we go for anyone else.

First let me say I am freakin' giddy over getting this two guys to give a verbal so early. God knows I have been signing on every day hoping to see some headline goodnews about recruiting. That being said I hope every silver lining doesn't have a gray cloud. Does anyone have any so called EXPERT opinion on how this could affect other Duke targets for 2009 & 2010? From everything I have read these two guys are more than likely four year guys which is always good to hear. If we do have some early entry or one and done guys that really softens the blow. But way to go Duke, Coach K and staff. Keep em' coming!

miramar
09-14-2008, 09:14 AM

Tyler Thornton and Kenny Boynton are both 6-2 point guards, so I wonder whether Duke really expects to have both players. Of course, we have played two point guards together before in Chris Duhon and Jason Williams, but with Elliot Williams in the mix the two PG combination seems less likely. I know that we have been playing three guards quite a bit in the last few years, mainly out of necessity, but Duke has been getting bigger lately so I don't know if that situation will repeat itself.

Tim1515
09-14-2008, 10:38 AM
Tyler Thornton and Kenny Boynton are both 6-2 point guards, so I wonder whether Duke really expects to have both players. Of course, we have played two point guards together before in Chris Duhon and Jason Williams, but with Elliot Williams in the mix the two PG combination seems less likely. I know that we have been playing three guards quite a bit in the last few years, mainly out of necessity, but Duke has been getting bigger lately so I don't know if that situation will repeat itself.

There is a very good chance KB doesn't stay for his sophomore year which means he'd never play with Thornton. Also...all top programs are looking for depth at every position. Florida still wants Knight in 2010 and has Rivers coming in 2011. Both could actually rate higher at the PG position then Kenny does.

gotham devil
09-14-2008, 10:59 AM

1) Kenny Boynton is a shooting guard attempting to convert into a pg/combo guard, which would be the position that he would have to play in the NBA.

2) Although the piece on the front page says that all three 2010 "verbals" play on the same AAU team, that is actually not true. Andre Dawkins plays on Boo Williams, while Josh Hairston and Tyler Thornton play on rival D.C. Assault, a program started by Nolan Smith's stepfather, Curtis Malone.

mo.st.dukie
09-14-2008, 12:51 PM

Thornton's the only true PG. Elliot Williams, Nolan Smith and Kenny Boynton are all combo guards. Elliot can play all three guard positions and Nolan and Kenny can both play the point or 2 guard. Plus, Kenny may be a one and done which is where Knight comes in.

gotham devil
09-14-2008, 01:33 PM
Josh Hairston showing why Rivals, ESPN, and Slam all have him as a Top 15 player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdIsQ32aJA

DC Assault
#24 Tyler Thornton
#42 Josh Hairston
They've won big on the AAU circuit playing together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibLAS_jawLQ

beltwayBD
09-14-2008, 02:10 PM

Oops, questions answered already. Thanks!

CameronCrazy'11
09-14-2008, 05:32 PM
Kenny Boynton is a 1/2 combo, more talented right now, and coming in early than Thornton, so I doubt Thornton's commitment is really a negative at all for Boynton. He's going to get all the playing time he wants wherever he goes, so I think in the end it's going to come down to where he feels the most comfortable.

Jumbo
09-14-2008, 06:27 PM
Thornton's the only true PG. Elliot Williams, Nolan Smith and Kenny Boynton are all combo guards. Elliot can play all three guard positions and Nolan and Kenny can both play the point or 2 guard. Plus, Kenny may be a one and done which is where Knight comes in.

I understand the talk about Boynton being one and done, but if he comes to Duke, you have to wonder if he'll have that opportunity. At minimum next year, Duke will have Smith, Scheyer and Elliot Williams around on the perimeter. Figure Pocius sticks around for another year. I think Gerald's gone after this year, but if he stays, then it's really tight on the perimeter. I think it would be great to get Boynton, but it's not like he's going to get a starting job handed to him. Scheyer's a given, Smith will be a junior, and then the question becomes A) Who else is around B) How good is Elliot Williams and C) Who small do we want to go on the perimeter?

And, similarly, Knight would be a great get, but Duke's in fine shape in two years regardless, seeing as Nolan Smith, Elliot Williams, Andre Dawkins and Thornton are already on board. Again, I'm all for getting a couple of top-notch players from the 2009 and 2010 classes. But I feel like Duke is working from a position of strength/desire rather than weakness/need.

kramerbr
09-14-2008, 07:14 PM
Josh Hairston showing why Rivals, ESPN, and Slam all have him as a Top 15 player.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IxdIsQ32aJA

DC Assault
#24 Tyler Thornton
#42 Josh Hairston
They've won big on the AAU circuit playing together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ibLAS_jawLQ

Thanks for the link. Who is #32 in the 2nd clip? He seemed like a pretty solid player as well.

RainingThrees
09-14-2008, 09:16 PM
Yes!!! I'm a little late but i love to get back on and hear good news!!!

BD80
09-15-2008, 01:29 PM
These guys are GREAT additions to the team and the Duke family. It sounds like Tyler will provide a seamless transition at the point, taking the mantle from Nolan. It also sound like Tyler is one of those players who is under-ranked because he does not focus on his own scoring. On the other hand, Josh may explode in the rankings next summer because of his ability to score. This is going to be fun, anticipating a promising future, while rooting for this year's team that holds much promise on its own.

I am surprised that there was no mention of Maryland recruiting such talented local kids. That they went to Duke has got to sting sweatin' Gary.

bozz03
09-15-2008, 02:10 PM
Definitely fantastic news to add these two young men along with Andre to the start of what could be a top class ever for Duke. We've landed a great PG in the classic mold of team first, a phenominal SG and a stud PF.

It's also great to see that pipeline to the DC/Tidewater area paying dividends again for Duke as there are some fantastic players coming out of this area again plus it sticks to ole Gary Boy.

I would love to see Josh Smith added but K will have his work cut out for him to move that big body across the country.

Harrison Barnes is the next 2010 target we really need to go after. This kid is a prototype 3 for college and the pros. He can score inside, shoot from deep, defend and rebound at 6'6. It appears he's also very interested and wants to make an unofficial visit to Duke sometime this fall.

i'm sure watzone is more informed then I am in terms of the Knight recruitment but given the current recruits on board and what else we have in pipeline, do you really believe we've got a shot with him? I think the boynton recruitment could really have an impact on where brandon goes as well.

gotham devil
09-15-2008, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the link. Who is #32 in the 2nd clip? He seemed like a pretty solid player as well.

No problem.
He comes off the bench for them to provide some additional size. Their third best player was Eric Atkins of Maryland. Georgetown was trying to get all three to come to the Hilltop.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/recruiting/briefingroom

If you scroll down a little bit, Paul Biancardi, who was regarded as an ace recruiter (but recently employed by ESPN), did an excellent job breaking down both players and how they will fit in at Duke.

bozz03
09-15-2008, 03:45 PM
i think he's spot on with his assessment of Tyler both in terms of style of play and what he needs to work on before coming to Duke.

In terms of Josh, you read that description of him as a player and it just highlights how good this kid is going to be in college. He's got a chance to be a monster talent in college.

Classof06
09-15-2008, 06:50 PM
Yes!!! I'm a little late but i love to get back on and hear good news!!!

Me, too. I was travelling this weekend, but after watching OSU get taken to woodshed on national TV and seeing the Browns wet the bed again vs. the Steelers, this was wonderfully good news to hear after a very disappointing weekend.

Kudos to Krzyzewski and the staff for taking care of business.

kramerbr
09-15-2008, 07:17 PM
This is great. Tyler has supposedly had some pretty good performances against UNC commit Kendall Marshall. I look forward to watching Tyler shut down Kendall for the next several years.

SupaDave
09-16-2008, 01:01 PM
Kudos to Krzyzewski and the staff for taking care of business.

I never had any doubts. We are/were playing with a great hand.