PDA

View Full Version : Joe Surgan

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 07:47 PM
The mods may want to fold this into the existing thread on the Navy game and I have no problem with that. But at least for a few minutes, I think Joe Surgan deserves his own thread. Nobody in recent Duke football history has been more villified than Surgan, and not without justification. He could have hung his head, could have shut it down, could have taken his tees and gone home.

But he didn't. He hung in there, worked and worked some more trying to impress skeptical new coaches, waiting for his chance. And it came today and he delivered.

Sure it was just one field goal, albeit a long one. But it was important. Duke was reeling, having given up ten quick points and fallen behind. But Lewis ran a magnificient hurry-up drive and Surgan stopped the momentum slide and sent Duke into the locker room on a up note. And that was huge folks and from a player few expected to ever again make a huge play for Duke.

So kudos for Joe Surgan. Well done.

allenmurray
09-13-2008, 07:50 PM
I agree. We should all step away from the keyboards, put our hands straight up int he air, and do the "we're not worthy" bow in Surgan's direction. The guy obviously has worked his butt off. And that kick was huge.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 08:12 PM
The mods may want to fold this into the existing thread on the Navy game and I have no problem with that. But at least for a few minutes, I think Joe Surgan deserves his own thread. Nobody in recent Duke football history has been more villified than Surgan, and not without justification. He could have hung his head, could have shut it down, could have taken his tees and gone home.

But he didn't. He hung in there, worked and worked some more trying to impress skeptical new coaches, waiting for his chance. And it came today and he delivered.

Sure it was just one field goal, albeit a long one. But it was important. Duke was reeling, having given up ten quick points and fallen behind. But Lewis ran a magnificient hurry-up drive and Surgan stopped the momentum slide and sent Duke into the locker room on a up note. And that was huge folks and from a player few expected to ever again make a huge play for Duke.

I said to Tilly, just before the kick, knowing that scepticism/doubt/disbelief or whatever, was abounding in WW with the FG attempt decision that Coach Cut had publicly stated his confidence in Surgan and that he had been making the FG regularly in practice from 50+ yards. Great confidence builder. Outstanding clutch play. Thanks for giving him has own thread, Jim.

chrishoke
09-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Great thread Jim.

I AM so happy for Joe.

Congrats, you were a huge part of the win today.

killerleft
09-13-2008, 08:36 PM
A thing of beauty. Just saw the field goal on DVR (how nice to WANT to watch the game again after having seen it in person!).

You could see how pumped he was when he came to the sideline! Cleared the bar with ease.

Yet another player shows improvement under the tutelage of the Duke coaches.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 08:40 PM
I said to Tilly, just before the kick, knowing that scepticism/doubt/disbelief or whatever, was abounding in WW with the FG attempt decision that Coach Cut had publicly stated his confidence in Surgan and that he had been making the FG regularly in practice from 50+ yards. Great confidence builder. Outstanding clutch play. Thanks for giving him has own thread, Jim.
I think this is just one of many, many things Coach Cutcliffe says and does to lead and motivate the players to keep getting better and better. He seems to know just what to say and when to say it. No wonder his staff was willing to reassemble to work for him again.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2008, 09:24 PM
Great game and great work, Joe!

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2008, 09:31 PM
Big congratulations to Joe, that kick was awesome and set the tone for the team to come out stronger the second half. He has done a great job on kickoffs, but it was good to see him get a chance to face the ghosts of his past like he did today. Fitting, since he shared the cover of the gameday guide.

Richard Berg
09-13-2008, 09:40 PM
Thanks for the thread Jim. Go Joe!

arnie
09-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I just got back from the game after drinking too much - that field goal came out of no where - didn't think we had a chance to score at the end of hte half and Surgan kicks it like it was a routine extra point. What a confidence builder!!

watzone
09-13-2008, 11:22 PM

No cover jinx for Joe! He was on the cover of today's program. Congrats Joe! Nice timely FG!

DukeUsul
09-14-2008, 10:11 AM
Big props to Joe. That kick was money.

Olympic Fan
09-14-2008, 11:39 AM
So many mixed emotions ... watching that kick sail through brought back a rush of all the disappointment and frustration over Surgan's failures in the last two seasons ... we always knew he had a strong leg, but if he had kicked that well the last two years, Duke would have won from 2-to-5 more games ... and Roof would probably still be the head coach.

His success is a testiment to Cutcliffe and his staff, especially Zac Roper. I heard Cut on his radio show call Roper the best kicking coach he's seen in his career -- after watching the one-year improvement in Nick Maggio, Kevin Jones and now Joe Surgan, I can see what he's talking about.

I agree with Jim, you have to salute Surgan for putting his failures behind him and persevering ... that shows great character.

PS I saw a replay of the kick on local TV last night from just behind and below the goal post -- not only was the kick right down the middle, it was almost at the top of the uprights when it crossed the ball -- it would have been good from 60-plus yards.

Nice to know we have that kind of weapon!

devildeac
09-14-2008, 11:44 AM
So many mixed emotions ... watching that kick sail through brought back a rush of all the disappointment and frustration over Surgan's failures in the last two seasons ... we always knew he had a strong leg, but if he had kicked that well the last two years, Duke would have won from 2-to-5 more games ... and Roof would probably still be the head coach.

His success is a testiment to Cutcliffe and his staff, especially Zac Roper. I heard Cut on his radio show call Roper the best kicking coach he's seen in his career -- after watching the one-year improvement in Nick Maggio, Kevin Jones and now Joe Surgan, I can see what he's talking about.

I agree with Jim, you have to salute Surgan for putting his failures behind him and persevering ... that shows great character.

PS I saw a replay of the kick on local TV last night from just behind and below the goal post -- not only was the kick right down the middle, it was almost at the top of the uprights when it crossed the ball -- it would have been good from 60-plus yards.

Nice to know we have that kind of weapon!

I mentioned in another post the confidence Coach Cut had publicly expressed in the kicking game after spring practice or in August. I believe he said Surgan had been hitting them fairly reliably from 50+ yards in practice and he reminded folks that it really means 60 yards:D. What a turn around!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2008, 12:25 PM
Coach Cutclifee has said repeatedly that we all (team and fans) must work our way back to being winners. This has proven true in so many ways three games into the season. Joe Surgan is not the only one who had to work his way back to success on kicking..... we fans are having to abandon the idea that "we probably won't make it" or we're going to lose another one because of the kicker.... or the defense.... or the offense." Mistakes are not going to disappear, but we must look at the great improvement in offense, defense and now kicking. And we have to expect more of this team and believe it's possible to be winners.

I especially like the way Coach Cutclifee handled the possibility of students and fans wanting get out on the field to pull down the goal posts after the James Madison win..... winners don't run out to pull down the goal posts after a game like that. They go for the the goal posts after a MAJOR win.

I respect a solid dose of reality, but know that what we expect can have a great impact on the results. Maybe you've heard of Pigmalian.....

jv001
09-15-2008, 04:16 PM
Congratulations to Joe and the entire team for a great win over Navy. Man it's fun to be talking Duke Football again. Keep it going guys. Go Duke!

Devilsfan
09-15-2008, 04:39 PM
Nice to see one of those scuds he launches finally hit its mark.
Now let's beat Virginia!

jimsumner
09-15-2008, 04:54 PM
"Maybe you've heard of Pigmalian"

Pigmalian? Isn't that the play where George Bernard Shaw made sexist references to Sarah Palin? :)

-jk
09-15-2008, 05:18 PM

Pigmalian? Isn't that the play where George Bernard Shaw made sexist references to Sarah Palin? :)

Brilliant, Jim.

And you're gonna get this whole thread moved to PPB.

I'm still laughing, though.

-jk

watzone
09-15-2008, 05:38 PM

Hey Jim! I am not above sicking the "Voice" on you;)