PDA

View Full Version : College Football Lines - Week 3

A-Tex Devil
09-12-2008, 02:23 PM
If discussing sports gambling is verboten on DBR, I apologize in advance.

So I have decided to do a little gambling this year on college football and was curious if anyone else on the board partakes. I'd love to get discussions going on Thursday and Friday heading up to game weekends with thoughts and advice. Colleg Football is one of those sports (unlike the NFL) where you can find some pretty juicy lines, and it makes Saturday much more fun. I have a budget and a bankroll this fall and plan to keep to it. Last week, I went 9-1 and hit my 4 team parlay (a Big XII South special - UT, OU, A&M and T. Tech). I don't expect near that much success the rest of the year, but if I can get 57-60% the remainder of the way, I'll be ecstatic.

Anyway --- on to the games (Home team all caps):

Tonight:
1. Kansas +3 SOUTH FLORIDA - I like KU straight up to pay out more
2. KU/USF - O/U 44. Over. KU will put up 30 at least, I think.

Tomorrow
3. Penn St.+27 SYRACUSE - PSU should roll. Syracuse is awful.
4. Mich/ND - UNDER 37.5
5. Cal -15 MARYLAND - This is a tough one, but I really think MD may be that bad.
6. USC -10.5 Ohio State - Count me on the bandwagon against the Buckeyes
7. Ga. Tech +6.5 VA TECH - I'm tempted to pick Ga Tech outright.
8. Georgia -7 SOUTH CAROLINA
9. Stanford -14.5 TCU - this line seemed way too high to me.
10. DUKE -2 Navy - Why not? If I think we can win, I think we can win by more than 2!!

And for the weekly $10 4 way parlay --- KU, PSU, USC, UGA

Discuss!!

Uncle Drew
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM

So I have decided to do a little gambling this year on college football and was curious if anyone else on the board partakes. I'd love to get discussions going on Thursday and Friday heading up to game weekends with thoughts and advice. Colleg Football is one of those sports (unlike the NFL) where you can find some pretty juicy lines, and it makes Saturday much more fun. I have a budget and a bankroll this fall and plan to keep to it. Last week, I went 9-1 and hit my 4 team parlay (a Big XII South special - UT, OU, A&M and T. Tech). I don't expect near that much success the rest of the year, but if I can get 57-60% the remainder of the way, I'll be ecstatic.

Tonight:

Tomorrow
4. Mich/ND - UNDER 37.5
5. Cal -15 MARYLAND - This is a tough one, but I really think MD may be that bad.
10. DUKE -2 Navy - Why not? If I think we can win, I think we can win by more than 2!!

Discuss!!

Thanks for posting this thread. It reminds me exactly why I stopped participating in the football pool at work a few years back. Your calculations and guess work seem totally logical to me. But picking winners, much less the spread and how many points will be scored is murder! I used to like games that were 1 or two point favorites because games usually aren't that close in the end. And I used to love the big spreads in a Georgia vs Prarie View game too. Opinion and convincing wins matters to voters for the polls and thus the BCS. So a lot of times the big boys won't call off the dogs in those games to make sure voters that only check the box score see a huge win margin. In basketball once the game is in hand coaches will send in second or third string. In football coaches might not admit it, but running the score up matters. I wish you all the luck in the world this season and I'm glad it's your money and not mine.

USC is going to win by 10 : )

Indoor66
09-12-2008, 02:58 PM
Thanks for posting this thread. It reminds me exactly why I stopped participating in the football pool at work a few years back. Your calculations and guess work seem totally logical to me. But picking winners, much less the spread and how many points will be scored is murder! I used to like games that were 1 or two point favorites because games usually aren't that close in the end. And I used to love the big spreads in a Georgia vs Prarie View game too. Opinion and convincing wins matters to voters for the polls and thus the BCS. So a lot of times the big boys won't call off the dogs in those games to make sure voters that only check the box score see a huge win margin. In basketball once the game is in hand coaches will send in second or third string. In football coaches might not admit it, but running the score up matters. I wish you all the luck in the world this season and I'm glad it's your money and not mine.

USC is going to win by 10 : )

They don't build those big, fancy buildings in Vegas and Atlantic City off of winners!

SlimSlowSlider
09-12-2008, 03:47 PM
must be PSU -27

i am not sure i would touch the Mich-ND game. those teams are so unpredictable. but nd may not be able to put points on the board, so you may be right

A-Tex Devil
09-12-2008, 04:05 PM
must be PSU -27

i am not sure i would touch the Mich-ND game. those teams are so unpredictable. but nd may not be able to put points on the board, so you may be right

Yes -- PSU -27, but I still like it. I imagine they'll have covered by the first half. Syracuse looks as bad as some of the Duke teams this decade if not worse.

It's supposed to rain in South Bend tomorrow. With those 2 offenses, I don't know how they get to 38 points without Def/Spec Teams points and turnovers. If neither of them could go over 38 total against the teams they were playing last week, I can't imagine (barring freak plays) it will happen when they play each other.

I certainly won't pick a winner in that game, though. No clue.

I like OU tomorrow, too. I am looking into the TCU/Stanford game a little more, and may swap those out.

A-Tex Devil
09-13-2008, 04:38 PM
Where'd these offenses come from?! Rough day so far. That'll teach me to pick so many road teams.... noted.

Wander
09-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Let us all hold a moment of silence for UCLA.

ugadevil
09-13-2008, 08:02 PM
Missouri and Penn State are coming to the stadium looking to hurt people. Those offenses have been dominant. It'll be interesting to see how they hold up to conference play.

ugadevil
09-13-2008, 08:05 PM
Let us all hold a moment of silence for UCLA.

I saw an interview today where Rick Neuheisel said he wanted to keep games close until the 4th quarter and then it'd be "magic time." Coach Neuheisel must be a magician because he managed to make his offense AND defense disappear!

ugadevil
09-13-2008, 10:00 PM
Auburn is leading Miss. State by a score of 3-2 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Are you kidding me?!?! And I thought Georgia's offense looked bad today.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 10:21 PM
Auburn is leading Miss. State by a score of 3-2 with 6 minutes left in the 4th quarter. Are you kidding me?!?! And I thought Georgia's offense looked bad today.

Who has the RBI's:o?

ugadevil
09-13-2008, 10:24 PM
Who has the RBI's:o?

Bo Jackson came through with a big hit and Tim Hudson pitched a gem for the Tigers.

RelativeWays
09-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Tubberville got ejected after protesting a call at the plate. The Tigers really responded after that. Games like these are the reason that Charles Barkley almost played War Eagle baseball.

Uncle Drew
09-14-2008, 07:56 AM

Tonight:

Tomorrow
4. Mich/ND - UNDER 37.5

Discuss!!

Tonight:
13 Kansas 34
19 S Florida 37

Tomorrow
17 Penn St 55
Syracuse 13
4. Mich/ND - UNDER 37.5
Michigan 17
Notre Dame 35
23 California 27
Maryland 35
5 Ohio St 3
1 USC 35
GA Tech 17
VA Tech 20
2 Georgia 14
S Carolina 7
Stanford 14
TCU 31
Navy 31
Duke 41

So Tex how did you do?

A-Tex Devil
09-14-2008, 06:46 PM
Tonight:
13 Kansas 34
19 S Florida 37

Tomorrow
17 Penn St 55
Syracuse 13
4. Mich/ND - UNDER 37.5
Michigan 17
Notre Dame 35
23 California 27
Maryland 35
5 Ohio St 3
1 USC 35
GA Tech 17
VA Tech 20
2 Georgia 14
S Carolina 7
Stanford 14
TCU 31
Navy 31
Duke 41

So Tex how did you do?

6-3-1. Ended up betting on OU instead of TCU. Problem is, I put a larger bet on MD and the ND/Mich O/U than some others and ended up a little down.

I am still blown away at the final score of the ND-Mich game considering past performance and the weather. There were a lot of games yesterday like the UGa-SoCar game that ended up pushes (or close). Those hiandicappers know what they're doing!!

Uncle Drew
09-14-2008, 07:35 PM
6-3-1. Ended up betting on OU instead of TCU. Problem is, I put a larger bet on MD and the ND/Mich O/U than some others and ended up a little down.

I am still blown away at the final score of the ND-Mich game considering past performance and the weather. There were a lot of games yesterday like the UGa-SoCar game that ended up pushes (or close). Those hiandicappers know what they're doing!!

Those handicappers know what they're doing!! Yeah, that's why they get all the good parking spots. :D