PDA

View Full Version : DBR Survival Football

EarlJam
09-12-2008, 12:53 PM
Am I looking at this wrong or am I the only one that has made a pick so far for this week?

-EJ

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 12:54 PM
Am I looking at this wrong or am I the only one that has made a pick so far for this week?

-EJ
I made my pick.

EarlJam
09-12-2008, 12:56 PM
I made my pick.

I don't see it listed. Only mine.

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 12:59 PM
I don't see it listed. Only mine.
Check out the Group Picks (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/25610/weeklyperformance)page. Some people have "--" next to their name, others have blanks. Perhaps the "--" indicates a pick, and the blank indicates no pick. Perhaps they do this so people can't see others' picks? Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.

EarlJam
09-12-2008, 01:05 PM
Check out the Group Picks (http://football.fantasysports.yahoo.com/survival/25610/weeklyperformance)page. Some people have "--" next to their name, others have blanks. Perhaps the "--" indicates a pick, and the blank indicates no pick. Perhaps they do this so people can't see others' picks? Perhaps. Perhaps. Perhaps.

I still only see my pick, no others. What is your team name?

I am frustrated, scared, and wanton.

-EJ

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 01:07 PM
I still only see my pick, no others. What is your team name?

I am frustrated, scared, and wanton.

-EJ
1818Miles

Bostondevil
09-12-2008, 01:23 PM
Hey Miles, I'll take that hint now.

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
My DBR Survival Football names also contains part of the name of a song. The song also speaks of the distance to the same location.

Bostondevil
09-12-2008, 01:33 PM
I checked, I've made a pick, so has everybody else. You can't see anybody else's pick until the games start. You'll just see dashes until 1pm on Sunday.

DukieInKansas
09-12-2008, 02:20 PM
I haven't picked yet. I have a stupid question as I'm new to this, can we pick a team only once through the whole season?

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 02:26 PM
I haven't picked yet. I have a stupid question as I'm new to this, can we pick a team only once through the whole season?
I believe that's the case. And that's so not a stupid question.

DukieInKansas
09-12-2008, 02:29 PM
I believe that's the case. And that's so not a stupid question.

It was only stupid in that Jason answered it on the other thread. There goes my picking whoever plays the Chiefs each week plan - since we do play some teams twice. (Also, I don't think they will lose all their games - just more than half of them.)

sue71, esq
09-12-2008, 02:51 PM
Hey what does the final winner receive? :)

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 02:56 PM
Hey what does the final winner receive? :)
Bragging rights

Turk
09-12-2008, 02:59 PM
Just checked and it looks like there are 5 people who have not picked at this point.

This is my first online survivor pool, so I presume the site will check entries for dupes going forward.

JasonEvans
09-12-2008, 03:24 PM
Just checked and it looks like there are 5 people who have not picked at this point.

This is my first online survivor pool, so I presume the site will check entries for dupes going forward.

Yup, it will not let you pick a team you have already picked -- at least that is how it has worked in years past. We've got almost 25 people in this thing -- a good number.

I'll talk to the powers that run the DBR. Perhaps we can give the winner some kind of special title under their name or something.

...Either that or on your deathbed you will receive total consciousness (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ViiB_dE3Lhs).

--Jason "so you've got that going for you, which is nice" Evans

2535Miles
09-12-2008, 03:26 PM
--Jason "so you've got that going for you, which is nice" Evans
One of the most well delivered lines in comedy. Ever.

Lavabe
09-14-2008, 09:17 AM
It's the first NFL Sunday for Jason's survival football group.

Still time to join!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Go Failcons!

JasonEvans
09-14-2008, 09:58 AM
It's the first NFL Sunday for Jason's survival football group.

Still time to join!!
Cheers,
Lavabe

P.S. Go Failcons!

If you still want to join, you have until 1pm ET today to do it. Our group number is 25610 and the password to gain entry is "DBR."

--Jason "the more the merrier!" Evans

2535Miles
09-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Still no guess? Think 1983.

Bob Green
09-14-2008, 07:17 PM
Survival Football is not fun! (translation = I already lost).

2535Miles
09-14-2008, 07:23 PM
Gonna be a loooooong year in the AFC West.

EarlJam
09-14-2008, 08:07 PM
I'm winning right now.

I own you ALL!

-EJ

2535Miles
09-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Freakin' San Francisco.
Freakin' replay equipment not working in Denver.
Freakin' Ed Hochuli.
Freakin' San Francisco.

Lavabe
09-14-2008, 08:13 PM
I await the game tomorrow night!

At least I didn't pick the Failcons.;)
Cheers,
Lavabe

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2008, 09:30 PM
Thought it was pretty funny that over a 3rd of us picked the Giants.

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2008, 09:34 PM
I'm winning right now.

I own you ALL!

-EJ

I'm thinking your scruffy looking nerf herders are tied with the rest of us still in it.
http://www.freewebs.com/jainasgirl/180px-Han3_edited.jpg

Ben63
09-14-2008, 10:12 PM
Thought it was pretty funny that over a 3rd of us picked the Giants.

I think I'm going to pick whoever plays the Rams every week.:D

DukieInKansas
09-14-2008, 11:28 PM

Bob - after watching how bad the Raiders looked against Denver last weekend, it's hard to believe that there is a team that could look worse - but meet my KC Chiefs. It's going to be a rough year around town.

cf-62
09-15-2008, 12:32 AM
Bob - after watching how bad the Raiders looked against Denver last weekend, it's hard to believe that there is a team that could look worse - but meet my KC Chiefs. It's going to be a rough year around town.

My initial strategy was to pick against the raiders week after week -- but the KC game scared me off -- and I realized the Falcons and Rams were seriously just as bad.

I changed at the last minute to go anti-Falcon. It worked today.

Bob Green
09-15-2008, 01:39 AM
I didn't follow my original plan (thankfully)

My alternate plan was to pick Arizona so I should have went that way. Last year I picked Philadelphia the first week and lost, so I am 2 for 2 in losing in Week One. I will make it to Week 2 next year!

Lavabe
09-15-2008, 09:13 AM
I think I'm going to pick whoever plays the Rams every week.:D

Even if the Rams play KC? Detroit?:eek:

Cheers,
Lavabe

wilson
09-15-2008, 11:15 AM
I'm usually really good in these things (never finished out of the top 3), but I'm already out of this one. Stupid 49ers. Ah well, my team in my *other* fantasy baseball league snuck into the playoffs as the last seed and is now in the finals, with the hottest lineup around. We'll see...

Bostondevil
09-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I just wanted to say Pats Rule!

Hmmm, 1/3 of us picked the Giants? That means at least 1/3 of us are still in the game. ;)

It's often the case that one game will attract a lot more attention than all the others. That's particularly true early in the season. Survive and advance. It's harder than it looks in this game. I've been doing it for years. I have made it as far as Week 10. I always find the first the week the hardest to pick because you don't really know what you've got until they start playing. And bad teams almost always find a way to win one (or two).

My own personal guidelines, don't pick interdivisional games (cough, Seattle, cough), don't pick road teams in Denver, don't pick games between 2 teams with losing records, and try to pick a home team. The first guideline I will give up is the home team one, I'll pick a road winner if everything else is satisfied. Oh, and don't 'save' your good teams, pick them first, you might lose before you ever get to them.

JasonEvans
09-16-2008, 08:52 AM
Yup, pick against the really bad teams-- that's the best strategy. but be careful when the really bad are playing someone whose just a little bit bad because even the really bad win some of the time.

--Jason

JasonEvans
09-18-2008, 08:29 AM
If you have not made this week's picks... time is running out.

-Jason

sue71, esq
09-18-2008, 03:49 PM
I picked. Several games to not go anywhere near this week.

EarlJam
09-18-2008, 05:38 PM
I picked. I don't mind saying who. Minnesota over Carolina.

I RULE!

-Earjflfwqkjam

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 06:03 PM
I picked. I don't mind saying who. Minnesota over Carolina.

I RULE!

-Earjflfwqkjam

Yer on drugs, we've won 2 games so far without our best player, and will have him on the field this Sunday. Bright side, you have until Sunday to make a smarter pick ;)

EarlJam
09-18-2008, 06:04 PM
Yer on drugs, we've won 2 games so far without our best player, and will have him on the field this Sunday. Bright side, you have until Sunday to make a smarter pick ;)

You can change your picks? Cool. But I'm sticking to this one. Vikings infant!

-EJ

Lavabe
09-18-2008, 06:33 PM
You can change your picks? Cool. But I'm sticking to this one. Vikings infant!

-EJ

I may change and go with the FAIL-cons. They're playing at home vs. KC (w/3rd string QB).:eek:

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 06:42 PM
For now I'm picking between two cellar dwellers, going with Seattle over St. Louis.

DevilAlumna
09-18-2008, 10:17 PM
For now I'm picking between two cellar dwellers, going with Seattle over St. Louis.

I'm not sure that's a safe bet... just ask the folks who picked the Seahawks last week.

2535Miles
09-18-2008, 10:29 PM
I'm not sure that's a safe bet... just ask the folks who picked the Seahawks last week.
True dat. :mad: I'm thinking this is a really tough week to make your picks. I'm predicting massive eliminations. Then again, I'm one of those shmucks that picked the Seahawks.

CameronBornAndBred
09-18-2008, 10:38 PM
It's a horrible week to make picks. There are very few guaranteed wins, and I want to save those teams for down the road if I'm lucky enough to stay on the bandwagon. I even like EJ's pick even though I made fun of it. I would not want to be any team this week facing an 0-2 team. That's why I went with two 0-2's facing each other. Gonna be a lot of folks not going to Hollywood after this round.

EarlJam
09-18-2008, 10:47 PM
It's a horrible week to make picks. There are very few guaranteed wins, and I want to save those teams for down the road if I'm lucky enough to stay on the bandwagon. I even like EJ's pick even though I made fun of it. I would not want to be any team this week facing an 0-2 team. That's why I went with two 0-2's facing each other. Gonna be a lot of folks not going to Hollywood after this round.

Well stated and all true. Tough picks. But "safe bets" need to be saved towards the end O' season, and now is the time to take risks. In my O' pinion, going with an 0-2 team at home right now be smarte.

-EarlJam

Lavabe
09-18-2008, 11:31 PM
Well stated and all true. Tough picks. But "safe bets" need to be saved towards the end O' season, and now is the time to take risks. In my O' pinion, going with an 0-2 team at home right now be smarte.

-EarlJam

I don't see my fellow ATL DBR Mafia member going with the FAIL-cons.:eek: 's up dat?:confused: What's the word on the street?:o

Bob Green
09-19-2008, 01:47 AM
I'm predicting massive eliminations.

Because I'm basically a bad sport, I hope everyone loses.

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 02:34 AM
Because I'm basically a bad sport, I hope everyone loses.
HAHAHA. You get 23/24, that's practically everyone.

JasonEvans
09-19-2008, 07:17 AM
If you are ever... ever going to take the Falcons, then this week is the time -- that's for sure.

I really don't like the Minny pick. They may win, but it is not an easy game by any stretch of the imagination. Carolina is a decent team and I hate, hate, hate to pick against decent teams this early in the season. I'd save Minnesota for some other week when they are more of a favorite, like their game against Detroit in a couple weeks.

New England would seem to be the biggest layup on the board, but do you use up a team as good as the Pats this week? It would be nice to have them in your back pocket for a future week. Then again, a huge percentage of pickers used up the Giants last week (including me).

Folks who did not take the Giants last week could easily go with them this week. They are almost a 2 TD fave and are playing at home.

A lot of folks like Seattle this week. The Hawks are banged up a bit but would seem to simply be too good to fall to 0-3. Plus, they are playing at home against a very weak St. Louis club. This is where I am leaning with my pick right now.

Many of the other good teams are playing each other, which makes taking them foolish. Pitt vs. Philly, GB vs. Dallas - those 4 clubs are out of the running to be picked this week unless you have a death wish.

There are a couple other matchups where I could see taking a team, but the above are the main teams I am thinking about.

--Jason "I am starting to sell myself on taking the Falcons... what a huge risk that would be!" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
09-19-2008, 08:14 AM
Minnesota's best running back is hurt (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8578850/?MSNHPHMA). That won't help their cause much. Doesn't say he won't play, but he isn't practicing.

Bostondevil
09-19-2008, 08:33 AM
You guys aren't listening to me. 'Saving' good teams often means you never get to use them. Pick a winner and worry about next week, well, next week. Which reminds me, this pool didn't start first week, I can still pick New England in this one, good idea!

JasonEvans
09-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Minnesota's best running back is hurt (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8578850/?MSNHPHMA). That won't help their cause much. Doesn't say he won't play, but he isn't practicing.

Ummm, APete is more than just "Minnesota's best running back." He is probably the most feared player in the NFL right now. He is pretty much Minnesota's entire offense. Take Adrian away and the Vikes would struggle to score 14 points against freaking Detroit.

If we knew for sure that he was not playing, I would be very tempted to take Carolina in this game -- even though I almost never take a team on the road in a Survivor Pool.

--Jason "APete has passed LT as the best runner in the game, IMO" Evans

DukieInKansas
09-19-2008, 11:06 AM
I may change and go with the FAIL-cons. They're playing at home vs. KC (w/3rd string QB).:eek:

Probably not a bad choice. Until they show me otherwise, they will be the kc chiefs to me this year - no caps until they earn them. Clark Hunt, if you are reading this (yeah, right), please fire Carl Peterson. "King" Carl is in year gazillion of his 5 year plan to get us to the Super Bowl, long time season ticket holders didn't renew and unless something changes even more won't renew next year, playing for a high draft position doesn't work because they don't seem to be able to pick anyone that stays and does well. (Do I sound bitter/pessimistic?) I split my season tickets the last two years 50/50. This year I went with splitting them with the chiefs - I got 0 games and they got 16. :D

But you do have to love a QB with a last name of Thigpen.

EarlJam
09-19-2008, 12:50 PM
Dag gummit.

You all talked me out of my Minnesota pick. To many bad omens.

I'm now going with the Pats. Thing that scares me there though, is that they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo due to lose a regular season game.

And Miami is just the type of team to deliver the blow. Pats may not take them seriously enough.

But, the game's on the Pats home turf. Gotta like the odds.

-EarlJam

P.S. If Minnesota wins, and the Pats lose, I'm gonna freakin' Kronk-Donk somebody.

sue71, esq
09-19-2008, 01:06 PM
Ummm, APete is more than just "Minnesota's best running back." He is probably the most feared player in the NFL right now. He is pretty much Minnesota's entire offense. Take Adrian away and the Vikes would struggle to score 14 points against freaking Detroit.

If we knew for sure that he was not playing, I would be very tempted to take Carolina in this game -- even though I almost never take a team on the road in a Survivor Pool.

--Jason "APete has passed LT as the best runner in the game, IMO" Evans

APete? Hahaha never heard that.

I took NE this week. I just wasn't loving the choices.

JasonEvans
09-19-2008, 01:37 PM
Is there anything more absurd than the fact that I am currently debating between taking Atlanta and taking New England?!?!?! Is that even possible?

Need to look at NE's schedule to see if there is a sweet layup game for them in the next few weeks that I will kick myself for not having them available...

--Jason "I know there is no other game all year when I will consider taking the Falcons" Evans

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 02:17 PM
Is there anything more absurd than the fact that I am currently debating between taking Atlanta and taking New England?!?!?! Is that even possible?
It has to happen sooner or later, so I'll just break the ice. This is what the experts call "parity". Even though it has nothing to do with the current situation you're discussion, I'm sure it's got to come up in week 3.

On a semi-related topic, I'm thinking we should start College Football Drinking Game. Anytime you hear someone say "TRUE freshmen", take a shot. Make sure you have a friend nearby to call 911 when you get alcohol poisoning.

Bostondevil
09-19-2008, 03:55 PM

No.

If Atlanta wins and the Pats do not, I'll buy everyone a drink. And by everyone I mean Jason and EarlJam the next time I'm in Atlanta.

EarlJam, have you not been following the Bill Bellichick New England Patriots? One thing you have to give them credit for, they never look past anybody.

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 03:59 PM
No.

If Atlanta wins and the Pats do not, I'll buy everyone a drink. And by everyone I mean Jason and EarlJam the next time I'm in Atlanta.

EarlJam, have you not been following the Bill Bellichick New England Patriots? One thing you have to give them credit for, they never look past anybody.
Except that one time, February 3rd, 2008.

EarlJam
09-19-2008, 04:11 PM
Except that one time, February 3rd, 2008.

Indeed. You beat me too it.

But hey, free drinks? Go Falcons! Dolphins!

Lastly, is there any truth to the rumor that Steve Grogan will be the starting QB for the Pats on Sunday?

-EJ

2535Miles
09-19-2008, 04:24 PM
Indeed. You beat me too it.

But hey, free drinks? Go Falcons! Dolphins!

Lastly, is there any truth to the rumor that Steve Grogan will be the starting QB for the Pats on Sunday?

-EJ
All depends on how Eason handles the 4-6 Defense.

Bostondevil
09-19-2008, 05:33 PM
They didn't look past that game. I didn't say they don't ever lose.

sue71, esq
09-19-2008, 05:36 PM
Go Giants! 2008 Super Bowl Champs! :D

YmoBeThere
09-19-2008, 07:28 PM
Go Giants! 2008 Super Bowl Champs! :D

That was so like, last season...

DukieInKansas
09-19-2008, 08:06 PM
That was so like, last season...

But always my favorite 11:45pm Dec 31 bet.

DukieInKansas
09-20-2008, 11:50 PM
I swear when I went on to make a pick on Thursday, I was still in the pool but I didn't make a pick at that time. I logged in just now and I was eliminated. I guess that is one less thing to do tonight. Good luck to the rest of the pool.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2008, 09:22 AM
I swear when I went on to make a pick on Thursday, I was still in the pool but I didn't make a pick at that time. I logged in just now and I was eliminated. I guess that is one less thing to do tonight. Good luck to the rest of the pool.

I can still edit mine. It says the deadline is 1PM EDT.

YmoBeThere
09-21-2008, 01:20 PM
I picked the Pats, but Cassel looked awful in the red zone right now(2 sacks, 1 interception).

YmoBeThere
09-21-2008, 03:26 PM
I would have figured the Pats to struggle on offense, who knew the defense would be this porous...

sue71, esq
09-21-2008, 03:47 PM
Looks like 8 more of us going down.

CameronBornAndBred
09-21-2008, 03:52 PM
Looks like 8 more of us going down.

I have a tinge of guilt that EJ switched his pick from the Vikings to the Patriots.

DukieInKansas
09-21-2008, 03:57 PM
The kc chefs (not a typo) sure made the Falcons look good.

Bostondevil
09-21-2008, 04:01 PM
Looks like I owe EarlJam and Jason a drink.

Sorry, EJ.

Bostondevil
09-21-2008, 04:59 PM
I have a tinge of guilt that EJ switched his pick from the Vikings to the Patriots.

Actually you should feel a twinge of guile for me cause I'm doing two of these pools (the other one is for money). Anyway, I'd forgotten I hadn't picked the Pats yet until you reminded me! I had Buffalo in the other pool this week. It was looking pretty bleak until that last play. I survive another week in the other pool.

Here I can always post my own 'losers bracket' pick in this thread.

Anybody got a suggestion for my Week 4 pick in the money game? If I win that pool, I'll use it to buy those drinks for EJ and Jason.

JasonEvans
09-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Ya'll should all buy me drinks for taking a team as horrible as the Falcons and getting it right. Even against the horrid Chiefs, taking the Falcons was a HUGE risk!!

Wow, did the KC QB suck.

I can't believe the Pats lost to Miami.. Stunning. That eliminated like half of the people left in our pool -- ouch! I am feeling good about my chances now, that is for sure.

--Jason "just because folks have been eliminated, keep on posting here about what you would do next week" Evans

Lavabe
09-21-2008, 06:06 PM
Ya'll should all buy me drinks for taking a team as horrible as the Falcons and getting it right. Even against the horrid Chiefs, taking the Falcons was a HUGE risk!!

Wow, did the KC QB suck.

I can't believe the Pats lost to Miami.. Stunning. That eliminated like half of the people left in our pool -- ouch! I am feeling good about my chances now, that is for sure.

--Jason "just because folks have been eliminated, keep on posting here about what you would do next week" Evans

I raised the question of the Fail-cons earlier in the week. I'm glad at least one person went with ATL.

As for me ... I survived with: THE GIANTS!!

On to next week!

Cheers,
Lavabe

EarlJam
09-21-2008, 06:48 PM

No guilt. The decision was mine. Ifluenced heavily, of course, by several of you mother fw.......sigh,,,,,,l..................

The decision was mine. :(

-EJ

EarlJam
09-21-2008, 06:51 PM
Dag gummit.

You all talked me out of my Minnesota pick. To many bad omens.

I'm now going with the Pats. Thing that scares me there though, is that they are sooooooooooooooooooooooo due to lose a regular season game.

And Miami is just the type of team to deliver the blow. Pats may not take them seriously enough.

I'm working on my new book tonight, "Listen to Your Gut!" :mad:

DANG!

-EarlJam

Ben63
09-21-2008, 08:06 PM
Anybody got a suggestion for my Week 4 pick in the money game? If I win that pool, I'll use it to buy those drinks for EJ and Jason.

Buffalo. I mean they are playing St. Louis.

I survive with Denver today. So how many left? 7? 8?

JasonEvans
09-21-2008, 08:52 PM

I survive with Denver today. So how many left? 7? 8?

You came really, really close to losing that game. Whew! only 1% of the people in the pool picked Denver this week, so that was a really gutsy pick.

--Jason "I may go with Denver next week, they are on the road, but they are at KC... and KC sucks a lot" Evans

DevilAlumna
09-21-2008, 09:00 PM
There are nine of us left, it looks like. Eight people went down with the choice of New England. Ouch.

I went with the Texans to lose (Titans FTW), and it payed off. I still have the Giants and Pats available as "Safe" picks, tho I guess NE is no longer that safe.

I'm surprised that the Seahawks manhandled St. Louis the way they did; the Rams used to give us a dogfight when they came out to Qwest Field.

Bostondevil
09-21-2008, 09:01 PM

Can't, I picked them this week.

JasonEvans
09-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Buffalo and Denver are both very solid picks this week... but they are both playing on the road. I hate picking road teams. I mean, KC and StL have to win some game this year so you figure it is likely to be a home game.

It is still early, but I don't think I would touch any of the other games next week. Waaay too many close matchups or good teams on the road.

--Jason "really tough week" Evans

2535Miles
09-22-2008, 12:15 PM
I had another football-less weekend so I didn't get to see anyone's performances. Curious though as to why anyone would still think the Pats are a safe pick, especially after the loss to Miami. Looks like Little Gobblers is the only one left on the chopping block this week. Who is Little Gobblers?

Turk
09-22-2008, 06:28 PM
I had another football-less weekend so I didn't get to see anyone's performances. Curious though as to why anyone would still think the Pats are a safe pick, especially after the loss to Miami. Looks like Little Gobblers is the only one left on the chopping block this week. Who is Little Gobblers?

C'est moi!
Turk

(yep, it's a groaner... I'm not very good at catchy team names...)

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2008, 06:33 PM
Making my picks now, I like this week less than last. Right now, I've got Denver winning at Kansas. (3-0) vs. (0-3), I would usually stay 100 miles away from this one, but I'm just not liking KC at all.

2535Miles
09-22-2008, 06:34 PM
C'est moi!
Turk

(yep, it's a groaner... I'm not very good at catchy team names...)
I actually liked it! Who is your pick for the night?

Ben63
09-22-2008, 06:37 PM
Also look at picking the Jets. Arizona is 2-15 in their last 17 visits to the eastern time zone. Obviously the Jets aren't great, but I think a solid pick at home.

Turk
09-22-2008, 06:44 PM
I actually liked it! Who is your pick for the night?

Went with San Diego. Their season is on the line tonight and I still think Frarvrer's comeback is going to end badly, either with a bang (season-ending injury) or a whimper (6-10 finish, no playoffs for NYJ, thanks for selling some tickets but we're "going to go in a different direction" in 2009)...

EarlJam
09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Making my picks now, I like this week less than last. Right now, I've got Denver winning at Kansas. (3-0) vs. (0-3), I would usually stay 100 miles away from this one, but I'm just not liking KC at all.

At the :22 mark, EarlJam = Charlton Heston, as he sends a message to all like YOU, CameronBornAndBred, that talked me into dropping the Vikings and going with the Patriots this past weekend. You too BostonDevil! And you too Evans!

At the :22 mark, EarlJam pours out his anguish to you Pats Pushing Pansies!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsTzWBSDRas&feature=related

The Statue of Liberty represents my great pick (Vikings over Carolina), that you all desTROYED!

-EJ

sue71, esq
09-22-2008, 10:12 PM
So how exactly did the tennis match go tonight?

EarlJam
09-22-2008, 10:22 PM
So how exactly did the tennis match go tonight?

Hey. No hi-jacking. But I won 6-1, 6-0 :cool:

-EJ

CameronBornAndBred
09-22-2008, 10:54 PM
The Statue of Liberty represents my great pick (Vikings over Carolina), that you all desTROYED!

MUHAWAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!

Lavabe
09-24-2008, 04:43 AM
Went with San Diego. Their season is on the line tonight and I still think Frarvrer's comeback is going to end badly, either with a bang (season-ending injury) or a whimper (6-10 finish, no playoffs for NYJ, thanks for selling some tickets but we're "going to go in a different direction" in 2009)...

Nice call with this week's Monday night game!

So, what team gets your attention for next week?

Unfortunately, I'm done with Bob Green's favorite team, and the Giants. I'm really tempted to stay in the NFC East and go with Philly.

Cheers,
Lavabe

2535Miles
09-24-2008, 04:46 AM

Unfortunately, I'm done with Bob Green's favorite team, and the Giants. I'm really tempted to stay in the NFC East and go with Philly.

Cheers,
Lavabe
I'm liking Jacksonville at home.
I'm hating Dallas at home, for reasons other than Survivor Football.

JasonEvans
09-24-2008, 08:46 PM
I'm liking Jacksonville at home.

Based on my initial glance-- Jax seems like a solid pick. Houston is not a good team and Jax is at home. Not many good teams are at home this week against bad opponents.

I am betting a ton of folks take Denver this week. Yahoo says that, so far, almost 50% of the folks in the Survival Football pool are taking them. KC does suck, but they are at home. Taking a road team against division rivals is a real no-no in Survival.

I think New Orleans might be an interesting pick. The Saints are certainly better than their record and they seem to play very well at home. I am hardly sold on a San Fran team that lost at home to Arizona.

Carolina at home would be a good pick for anyone who is not a Falcons fan. Sadly, even if I know it is a good pick, I am not gonna pick against my home team. I also think there is a chance the Falcons win that game. The Panthers are not great against the run.

San Diego and Buffalo are also good picks-- good teams playing really bad ones. But they are on the road and I hate picking road teams. I also think that after getting to 3-0, Buffalo may be due for a stinker. Just a feeling.

Dallas is at home and a huge favorite-- 11+ points, I think. But are you really gonna stake your survival on a Cowboys-Redskins game? Division rivalry games are always a tough pick.

--Jason "if I had to make my pick final right now, I'd probably go with San Diego or Jax" Evans

sue71, esq
09-24-2008, 08:56 PM
Based on my initial glance-- Jax seems like a solid pick. Houston is not a good team and Jax is at home. Not many good teams are at home this week against bad opponents.

Dallas is at home and a huge favorite-- 11+ points, I think. But are you really gonna stake your survival on a Cowboys-Redskins game? Division rivalry games are always a tough pick.

Ladies & gentlemen, Exhibit A: New England vs Miami :eek:

Bostondevil
09-26-2008, 11:29 AM
If I could still pick here, it would be Jacksonville. I did pick them in my other pool.

Turk
09-26-2008, 11:57 AM

Cheers,
Lavabe

Went with the herd and chose Denver this week. They're spinning the scoreboard and KC is really really bad. (Fourth QB in four games, IIRC). So that outweighed the road consideration. Jax was tempting but I'm not quite sold on them yet - we'll have a better sense next week after they play the Steelers.

Bostondevil
09-26-2008, 11:58 AM
My brother is advising me to pick Dallas. He's often right. Hmm, now I have a quandry.

JasonEvans
09-26-2008, 01:21 PM
I am currently on Jax, but Denver is very tempting. If you don't use Denver now, then when do you use them? The next 4 weeks would seem to be worthless from a Denver perspective as they have Tampa, Jax, and then at New England followed by a bye. Maybe the Tampa game is tempting, but the others are non-starters in my opinion. After that they play at home against Miami, which is an easy time to take the Broncos, but that is not until November. Staying alive until then will not be easy.

Jax, OTOH, has Pitt then at Denver then they are on a bye followe by a very tempting game at home against Cleveland. Hmmmm.

I can't decide. I am not gonna go with Dallas this week though. They play at home against Cincy next week and if I survive this week, that will be a biiiig game to play next week.

--Jason "ya gotta look ahead a bit-- but not too much" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2008, 12:36 PM
20 minutes left to question your pick and change your mind!

Lavabe
09-28-2008, 02:40 PM
Well, I changed from Denver to Jax with two minutes to spare. Jax isn't playing well, but at least they're tied at the half. Meanwhile, KC is up on Denver.

C'mon JAGS!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
09-28-2008, 03:11 PM
I went with the Pats this week, should be an easy victory...

YmoBeThere
09-28-2008, 03:14 PM
Well, I changed from Denver to Jax with two minutes to spare. Jax isn't playing well, but at least they're tied at the half. Meanwhile, KC is up on Denver.

C'mon JAGS!!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Yogi Berra: "It ain't over..." Denver does have Vandy Alum Jay Cutler.

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2008, 03:47 PM
Well, I changed from Denver to Jax with two minutes to spare.
Wellll..yer sweatin' now. OT, amazing TD drive by Jax in regulation.

Lavabe
09-28-2008, 04:09 PM
Wellll..yer sweatin' now. OT, amazing TD drive by Jax in regulation.

WHEW!!!!!

Survive and advance.

I'm in for another week of DBR Survival Football. I'm two-for-two in overtimes (NYG and JAC). And my Dallas win was VERY close too.

WHEWW!!

Lavabe

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Good move Lavabe! Denver is doomed today it looks like. I moved my pick to Dallas, hoping it works out for me, too.

YmoBeThere
09-28-2008, 04:12 PM
Yogi Berra: "It ain't over..." Denver does have Vandy Alum Jay Cutler.

Doesn't look like it is going to happen for Denver...

CameronBornAndBred
09-28-2008, 07:09 PM
If Dallas lets the 'Skins win today, I'm quitting and refuse to vote any more.

YmoBeThere
09-28-2008, 07:31 PM
If Dallas lets the 'Skins win today, I'm quitting and refuse to vote any more.

Looks like you are quitting and won't vote any more...

JasonEvans
09-28-2008, 08:03 PM
I am amazed that only 1 person in our pool went for Denver. 40%+ of the people on Yahoo picked them-- and lost. Jax sure made us sweat today, but they pulled it out on OT.

Only five of us are left. It took just 3 weeks to wipe everyone else out. Wow!

Hmmm, for the folks who have been eliminate, maybe we should start another pool in a week or two.

--Jason "if you are still alive, identify yourself!!" Evans

YmoBeThere
09-28-2008, 08:36 PM
No time like the present?

Ben63
09-28-2008, 08:41 PM
Stayed in with Buffalo today. Pretty easy pick when they are playing St. Louis.

DevilAlumna
09-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I'm still in, thanks in part to Jason's admonition to "Watch the road games!" (I otherwise was eyeing Denver and Jay Cutler.) I also went with my own "bet against the Texans" hunch, tho they were far more competitive today than all of us expected.

Lavabe
09-28-2008, 09:40 PM
I'm still in, thanks in part to Jason's admonition to "Watch the road games!" (I otherwise was eyeing Denver and Jay Cutler.) I also went with my own "bet against the Texans" hunch, tho they were far more competitive today than all of us expected.

Hurray for Jacksonville!:)

And my pick of JJ won today's NASCAR race in Kansas (but MAN what a last lap).:D

Cheers,
Lavabe

cf-62
09-28-2008, 09:42 PM
I KNEW -- just KNEW -- that I should ignore the pundits and my wife and stay far far away from Dallas. I hadn't picked them, yet, because I didn't trust that Romo could perform under pressure -- and, well, RAT FARTS!!!!!

But I didn't -- I stayed clear of Denver and San Diego -- and fell right for the Dallas choke trap.

I guess an "I'm number 6" pool could start up for next week if we desired.

C

JasonEvans
10-01-2008, 01:46 PM
And then there were 5--

Jason's picks of doom!
LavabeFightClub
Ben63
DevilAlumna's Dominance
zippori3

So what games do we all like this week?

Chicago over Detroit is attractive, but da Bears are on da road. Same story with Indy over Houston. Plus Houston actually looked good last week in the OT loss to Jax.

Green Bay over the Falcons would be a nice pick as Green Bay is at home, but I can't pick against my Falcons even if they suck.

Carolina at home versus horrible KC is very tempting. But what if KC found their mojo last week beating Denver?

I am glad I have not used up my Dallas pick yet. They are home against the dreadful Bengals. I am not sure if Carson Palmer being out is good or bad for the Bengals? Plus, the Cowboys figure to be pissed off and motivated after the loss to Washington. Dallas is verrrry tempting this week.

There is also the Giants at home versus Seattle, but I have used up my Giants pick. If they were available, that would be a nice choice.

--Jason "leaning toward Dallas right now, but not sure" Evans

Lavabe
10-01-2008, 04:01 PM
And then there were 5--

Jason's picks of doom!
LavabeFightClub
Ben63
DevilAlumna's Dominance
zippori3

So what games do we all like this week?

Chicago over Detroit is attractive, but da Bears are on da road. Same story with Indy over Houston. Plus Houston actually looked good last week in the OT loss to Jax.

Green Bay over the Falcons would be a nice pick as Green Bay is at home, but I can't pick against my Falcons even if they suck.

Carolina at home versus horrible KC is very tempting. But what if KC found their mojo last week beating Denver?

I am glad I have not used up my Dallas pick yet. They are home against the dreadful Bengals. I am not sure if Carson Palmer being out is good or bad for the Bengals? Plus, the Cowboys figure to be pissed off and motivated after the loss to Washington. Dallas is verrrry tempting this week.

There is also the Giants at home versus Seattle, but I have used up my Giants pick. If they were available, that would be a nice choice.

--Jason "leaning toward Dallas right now, but not sure" Evans

Curious that you did not mention the Monday Night game, New Orleans home against Minny.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Turk
10-01-2008, 04:35 PM
I am amazed that only 1 person in our pool went for Denver. 40%+ of the people on Yahoo picked them-- and lost. Jax sure made us sweat today, but they pulled it out on OT.

Only five of us are left. It took just 3 weeks to wipe everyone else out. Wow!

Hmmm, for the folks who have been eliminate, maybe we should start another pool in a week or two.

--Jason "if you are still alive, identify yourself!!" Evans

OK, I'll identify myself. The Little Gobblers got stuffed and roasted by Denver. That's what I get for trusting a coach who hits the tanning bed every week instead of watching film on his opponents.... Oh well, I'll lurk and jump in again on the next one. Good luck to the survivors...

-- Turk "Why don't you give me a nice paper cut and pour lemon juice on it"

Ben63
10-01-2008, 08:07 PM
So is the goal to go the whole season or to outlast our fellow DBR members, because with only five left it could influence my picks, with a possible only 2-3 weeks remaining??

CameronBornAndBred
10-02-2008, 12:16 AM
So is the goal to go the whole season or to outlast our fellow DBR members, because with only five left it could influence my picks, with a possible only 2-3 weeks remaining??

I assuming you are talking about voting against the masses. Well, only one of us went with the masses last time. Overall 40% picked the Broncos, but only one of us did. You should be playing for the long haul, the last one standing has the rest of us to cheer you on.

YmoBeThere
10-02-2008, 05:52 AM
I'm going with the Raiders this week, I think the coaching vacancy will do them good.

JasonEvans
10-02-2008, 12:18 PM

The goal is to outlast all the DBR folks.

It is worth noting that the rate of attrition tends to drop as the season goes on and we know more and more about these teams. It is a lot easier, IMO, to pick a winner after 5 or 6 weeks of the season versus weeks 1-3 where we are still learning who sucks and who is strong.

--Jason "I predict we won't have a DBR winner for 4 more weeks" Evans

Lavabe
10-05-2008, 06:46 PM
Cincy has just fumbled back to Dallas in the 4th quarter, but they have found a way to close it to a 1 point game: Dallas 17, Cincy 16 with 12 minutes to go.

AND THEN... TO breaks open the game with a monster 57 yd TD catch and run. 8 pt lead now.

EXCITING game!

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
10-05-2008, 06:58 PM
Cincy responded to TO by making a 60 yd kickoff return, followed by a drive for a TD. They then go for a 2pt conversion and miss it.

24-22 Dallas. 7:30 to go.

WOW!
Cheers,
Lavabe

YmoBeThere
10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Thankfully, the Raiders don't appear to have lost this week. Well, except for the owner's rationality and a head coach.

Lavabe
10-05-2008, 07:02 PM
Because only two teams were selected in this week's choices: Carolina and Dallas. Two of us went with Carolina and won this week. Three people are sweating out the Dallas game.

Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
10-05-2008, 07:15 PM
Dallas scores in the last 2 minutes with an accidental TD pass. The pass was intended for one player, deflected, missed him, and fell into the arms of Patrick Crayton. Dallas by 9.

See this one on Sportscenter.

And we all move on to next week!
Cheers,
Lavabe

Ben63
10-05-2008, 07:19 PM
So now that we all have moved on, any early thoughts an next week?

The obvious choice is Washington at home over St. Louis right? Does anything else even make sense after seeing this one? Unless someones already used their Redskin pick, but I dont think anyone has.

JasonEvans
10-06-2008, 01:02 PM
So now that we all have moved on, any early thoughts an next week?

The obvious choice is Washington at home over St. Louis right? Does anything else even make sense after seeing this one? Unless someones already used their Redskin pick, but I dont think anyone has.

Yup, the Skins over St. Losers looks like a nice pick, but there are certainly others worth considering.

Minnesota at home against Detroit. Picking against Detroit is always a good idea and the horrid Detroit D is gonna get run over by APete.

New Orleans, with that high-octane offense, at home against the wretched Raiders. Nawlins is good at home against anyone and the Raiders just plain stink.

The Giants play a very bad Cleveland team. It may be on the road but the Giants are for real and they play well under the spotlight. This is a MNF game so the spotlight will be bright.

If you are ever going to take the NY Favres, this may be the week to do it. They are at home to the Bengals. Cincy may not be as bad as their 0-5 would indicate, but they are not very good.

I see a lot of attractive picks this week. The question is-- which ones will be wrong?

--Jason "5 still alive!" Evans

Lavabe
10-10-2008, 07:42 PM
I'm going with Washington. Thought about the Jets, but I need to see more from them.

YmoBeThere
10-10-2008, 07:44 PM
I'm going with whomever is playing the Raiders. New Orleans you say? Sure...
Oh, I was out a few weeks ago? Surely you jest?

Lavabe
10-12-2008, 03:30 PM
It looks like three of us are going down with the 'skins. StL leads 16-7 in the early 4th. Make that 16-10.

Meanwhile, that leaves DA with the Jets, who lead the Bengals by 6 with 1140 to go in the 4th.

Jason picked Minny, who trail the Lions 10-9, with 1243 to go in the 4th.

DA may win it all, or we all may lose, or Jason may win it!

Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
10-12-2008, 04:43 PM
Looks like Jason & I hang on to compete another day.

I've still got the Giants, Pats, Colts, Eagles and Chicago (tough loss today for them, ouch) to lean on.

sue71, esq
10-12-2008, 04:46 PM
Hmmmm... Jason starts the group... Jason's in the last 2... hmmm. :rolleyes::D:p

YmoBeThere
10-13-2008, 07:25 AM
Quite clearly a conspiracy...

YmoBeThere
10-13-2008, 09:38 AM
The better tactic may be to pick whomever is playing the Raiders?

DukieInKansas
10-13-2008, 09:51 AM
The kc chefs play again this week - fresh off their bye week. Picking whoever they play is probably a good option.

Former season ticket holder who can't believe they are shopping Tony G - the only bright spot on our team.

YmoBeThere
10-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Much like the detrius that litters Wall Street, you can only sell what others are willing to buy...

JasonEvans
10-13-2008, 03:09 PM
Yes indeed, I am still alive. So it took a last second field goal to beat the lowly Lions. So what?!! Survive and advance, that is what it is all about.

So, DevilAlum -- it is down to you and it is down to me.

Neither of us can take Dallas at St. Louis, which would be a very tempting game as I think Dallas will be angry about their loss this week.

You still have a Giants team that I do not, but I have a Tennessee team that you do not. This week, Tennessee plays the godawful Chiefs. The game is in KC, which gives me a tiny bit of pause but I like the fact that if nothing else works out, I can take that game and you cannot. Bwahahahaha!

The Giants play at home against San Fran though, which will probably be very tempting for you. I am not allowed to touch that one.

There are not many other games to really like this week. The bad teams tend to be playing other bad teams (like Detroit vs. Houston). Oakland is at home playing the Jets. I am really not loving the East Coast team traveling to the West coast (though going W to E is worse). Sadly, you cannot take the Jets either -- though I can ;)

What do we do if we each go out in the same week?

--Jason "I am too busy to do it, but if someone wants to set up another league that everyone can join -- go for it! I'll play two leagues at the same time" Evans

DevilAlumna
10-17-2008, 02:00 AM
BTTT - I don't want to win b/c my remaining competitor forgot to get his pick in on time... :D

YmoBeThere
10-17-2008, 06:01 AM
Jets over Raiders or even Tampa over Seattle...I'll go with the former.

I'm out already you say? Stop joking around about that people might start to believe you.

JasonEvans
10-17-2008, 02:23 PM
BTTT - I don't want to win b/c my remaining competitor forgot to get his pick in on time... :D

Dude, I made my picks days ago.

Fear not... you will not win.

--Jason "thanks to you reminding me, I did just switch picks though" Evans

YmoBeThere
10-19-2008, 04:37 PM
The Titans win...so one of two still remain.

YmoBeThere
10-19-2008, 07:46 PM
Washington edges Cleveland, both DA and Jason are into the next round.

And darn, I lost again...

JasonEvans
10-20-2008, 01:27 PM
Washington edges Cleveland, both DA and Jason are into the next round.

DA had to be sweatin out that Skins win. It was a close one and if a last-second field goal goes the other way...

I, OTOH, had a restful day of checking the scoreboard to see how bad the Titans were laying it onto KC. Ahhh, that was sweet.

Of course, now I have used up my Tenn pick. My original choice was Tampa over Seattle but I switched to Tenn when I heard Larry Johnson was suspended. I also looked at Tenn upcoming schedule (Indy, Green Bay, at Chicago, at Jax) and realized there was no way I would be taking the Titans anytime soon so I figured use them now or never use them.

--Jason "need to look to see what the good games are for this coming week" Evans

JasonEvans
10-20-2008, 01:33 PM
--Jason "need to look to see what the good games are for this coming week" Evans

Ok, I am loving the fact that I still have Washington. They at at Detroit and Detroit is just awful. I don't see a lot else to love.

Houston is hosting the really bad Bengals but do you count on Houston to win 2 in a row?

St. Louis at New England is interesting though I still do not trust Matt Cassell.

If you are ever going to take San Fran, this is the week, as they host a badly fading Seattle team.

A lot of folks will probably like Baltimore at home over Oakland, but I think Oakland is getting better.

--Jason "gimme some advice, people!" Evans

JasonEvans
10-26-2008, 03:54 PM
For those of you wondering about this week--

DA took San Fran at home over the really bad Seattle team. Game has not started yet. Worth noting that this was not a popular pick with all Yahoo users as less than 2% of people staked their survival on San Fran.

Jason (me) took Washington. The Skins currently lead Detroit 22-17 with about 2 minutes left in the game. Washington has the ball and I feel pretty good about holding on for one more week at this point.

--Jason "watch, I just jinxed myself!" Evans

YmoBeThere
10-26-2008, 04:25 PM
St. Louis at New England is interesting though I still do not trust Matt Cassell.
--Jason "gimme some advice, people!" Evans

In Cassel we trust. :D Sam got a ring with the Celts last season, so I may have to sort of trust him too...

DevilAlumna
10-26-2008, 04:38 PM
For those of you wondering about this week--

DA took San Fran at home over the really bad Seattle team. Game has not started yet. Worth noting that this was not a popular pick with all Yahoo users as less than 2% of people staked their survival on San Fran.

I figured if there was ever a week to pick San Fran, this was it. The Seahawks started out decently, but have gone downhill thanks to a lot of injuries (all the senior receivers, Hasselbeck) and a fair amount of internal strife. (Never should have let Josh Brown go.)

It's been a bad season for football across the state of Washington this year. The Huskies are 0-fer and haven't even been competitive in any games; and the Cougs are 0-fer in the Pac-10, with the only win on the season against Portland State. Thank goodness Duke is making this fall football season so exciting!

And even though it propels Jason ahead another week, I'm pleased to see the 'Skins looking so good this year.

DevilAlumna
10-26-2008, 05:07 PM
I figured if there was ever a week to pick San Fran, this was it. The Seahawks started out decently, but have gone downhill thanks to a lot of injuries (all the senior receivers, Hasselbeck) and a fair amount of internal strife. (Never should have let Josh Brown go.)

Shouldn't have said anything - Seahawks up 13-0 in the second quarter, with Olindo Mare hitting from 43 and 42.

Of course, San Fran helped out by coughing up the ball twice in their first two possessions, including one inside the red zone. Argh.

YmoBeThere
10-26-2008, 05:57 PM
It looks like we may have a winner...

DevilAlumna
10-26-2008, 06:44 PM
Argh... 27-13 midway through the fourth. San Fran gave the game away with turnovers.

Ahh, well, at least the 'Hawks won? :rolleyes:

Let's go again!

JasonEvans
10-26-2008, 08:35 PM
I
Am
The
Champion!!

--Jason "all of ya'll suck!" Evans

CameronBornAndBred
10-26-2008, 08:48 PM
I
Am
The
Champion!!

--Jason "all of ya'll suck!" Evans

I was going to congratulate you....then your signature pissed me off.

anyways...thanks for the survivor poll..it was fun. And congrats to DA for being less sucky than the rest of us. :)

YmoBeThere
10-26-2008, 09:53 PM
I was going to congratulate you....then your signature pissed me off.

Jason must have picked up some manners from Phil Helmuth while at the WSOP.

Lavabe
10-27-2008, 03:06 AM
Jason must have picked up some manners from Phil Helmuth while at the WSOP.

So, are you starting up a new survival pool for the rest of the season?

Cheers,
Lavabe

DevilAlumna
10-27-2008, 03:29 AM
Ha! Looks like there's a bit of a SNAFU in how Yahoo is handling my SF Pick - it seems I'm still alive to pick the next round, even though it clearly shows I chose San Fran over Seattle and that Seattle, did, in fact, win.

Edit: Oh, wait, maybe they're not killing people off for the week, until after MNF.

Hey Wilson, get us going again!

JasonEvans
10-27-2008, 09:54 AM
When I went to the group to look at the latest standings, I saw this across my name at the top of the page.

http://l.yimg.com/a/i/us/sp/fn/default/pickem/group/nfls/group-winner-trophy-08.png

That is what I get for winning. I expect they will be sending me a real life one of these any minute now.

--Jason "I'll start a new group right now!" Evans