PDA

View Full Version : UNC-Rutgers

DukeSince'77
09-11-2008, 08:39 PM
What is up with the Holes wearing the dark blue pants and Davis wearing the dark blue sweater??? New school color??

He must feel that the baby blue is less than "intimidating"!!

DukePA
09-11-2008, 09:07 PM
What is up with the Holes wearing the dark blue pants and Davis wearing the dark blue sweater??? New school color??

He must feel that the baby blue is less than "intimidating"!!

When I saw the unc baseball team in the college world series on TV this summer, I pointed out to my tarheel guy that they were wearing Duke blue. He got very annoyed with me and informed me that dark blue has always been one of the official unc colors. Yeah, right. It must be embarassing to have baby as your team color :eek:

RelativeWays
09-11-2008, 09:10 PM
17-6 and unless Rutgers snaps out of it during halftime, UNC is winning this game. Not that it would make anyone here happy, but it would be a bit of a boost for the ACC.

RelativeWays
09-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Now its 31 - 6. Maybe we should have penciled in Rutgers this year.

Jarhead
09-11-2008, 09:58 PM
Well the new unis seem to have a positive effect on them. With 4:55 left in their game with Rutgers, they are up 31-6.

ugadevil
09-11-2008, 10:13 PM
I don't think many people would have been surprised with a blowout in this game. However, I doubt the expectation was for UNC to blowing out Rutgers. The Scarlet Knights look awful!

RelativeWays
09-11-2008, 10:15 PM
There aren't enough Rutgers fans left in the stadium to boo. Seriously.

DukePA
09-11-2008, 10:16 PM
Well the new unis seem to have a positive effect on them. With 4:55 left in their game with Rutgers, they are up 31-6.

#$%%, !!!$%^. Need I say more?

RelativeWays
09-11-2008, 10:55 PM
Mike Paulus is in.

Uncle Drew
09-12-2008, 06:44 AM
Okay football experts, how big a win was this for UNC.......really? By that I mean, I realize Rutgers just came off success a bowl game etc. But the team I saw last night didn't look anything like the team I saw last season. Okay Duke lost to a team last week that beat Syracuse and UNC beat a team in that conference. I don't know who was favored in last nights game. But I'd be willing to bet Syracuse beats Rutgers (provided they actually play, haven't checked the schedule.) and while a win on national TV, against a team coming off the season they had last year looks nice. But was it THAT big a win? Will it look that impressive at the end of the season?

RelativeWays
09-12-2008, 07:46 AM
Rutgers is slumping and seems to be lacking confidence. They had several offensive drives against UNC but either had to kick a field goal or the drive was killed by a turnover. Syracuse is absolutely wretched and cannot beat Rutgers, UNC, Duke or anyone this year. Rivalry bias aside, its a big win for UNC since they beat a team with a good reputation at their home on national TV and they haven't won a road game out of NC since 2002. Its like if Duke had managed to top ND last year, it would have been a huge win for Duke because its a win over the marquee college football team at their home on National TV. Likewise, if Duke can somehow beat Vandy in Nashville this season, it'll be a huge win for the program.

Gunnar Kaufman
09-12-2008, 08:30 AM
Okay football experts, how big a win was this for UNC.......really?

Whenever anyone wins on national television in that way it's a boon for the program.

But in terms of this season, it's only a "big win" in the sense that it keeps UNC undefeated, and allows them to maintain that record with an impressive W under their belt.

UNC was a dark horse to win the conference at the beginning of the season, and with it being as miserable as it has been thus far, there's no reason UNC can't keep up its momentum and show that Butch Davi$' recruiting hasn't paid off.

Uncle Drew
09-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Rutgers is slumping and seems to be lacking confidence. They had several offensive drives against UNC but either had to kick a field goal or the drive was killed by a turnover. Syracuse is absolutely wretched and cannot beat Rutgers, UNC, Duke or anyone this year. Rivalry bias aside, its a big win for UNC since they beat a team with a good reputation at their home on national TV and they haven't won a road game out of NC since 2002. Its like if Duke had managed to top ND last year, it would have been a huge win for Duke because its a win over the marquee college football team at their home on National TV. Likewise, if Duke can somehow beat Vandy in Nashville this season, it'll be a huge win for the program.

A quick check to see Syracuse's record and I see what you mean Relative. Syracuse and Rutgers do play Nov 8th at Rutgers, for what it's worth. We shall see, but you are probably on the money as you probably are with everything else you said.

I think Gunnar's ND vs Duke last season comparison is probably a good one. Thanks for the input people.

MulletMan
09-12-2008, 09:05 AM
Can someone explain to me why Carolina was wearing Duke Blue pants? I was at a bar, so it may have been the TV.

I was a The Fed with the softball team last night and there is UNC alum on our team... he said that Davis brought in the navy blue (which looks stunningly like Duke blue) for the football program. He also said there will be a home game this year where UNC wear an all navy uni with Tar Heel Blue helmets. Said it looks attrocious.

sandinmyshoes
09-12-2008, 09:09 AM
The pants were navy blue, not royal blue. I've noticed that their baseball team wears navy blue sometimes. My wife informs me that navy blue is one of the three traditional UNC colors, but that in the past few decades it has been used only as trim and to make numbers stand out on their washed out blue.

I think Butch Davis will push the UNC program to near Mack Brown levels, maybe even more. The big issue, I would think, would be if he'll stay satisfied there. The basketball culture of the Triangle area can grate on the nerves of college football coaches. That is supposedly why Brown left UNC, and some comments attributed to him by the ESPN announcers seemed to verify that.

Right now, I'm more concerned with what Coach Cut is doing. I feel like he's got things moving the right way, now if the administration will support him with dollars and maybe some easing of admissions standards for the football team. It would be nice if he'd get at least the same percentage of what might be considered exceptions (by Duke standards) as the basketball team.

I'd be glad to slip to the lower half of the top ten in graduation rates if we could field a team as competitive as Wake Forest has been the past few seasons. Just so long as most of the kids graduate, and are good representitives of the university.

ugadevil
09-12-2008, 09:40 AM
The pants were navy blue, not royal blue. I've noticed that their baseball team wears navy blue sometimes. My wife informs me that navy blue is one of the three traditional UNC colors, but that in the past few decades it has been used only as trim and to make numbers stand out on their washed out blue.

I agree with you on the navy and I didn't think it looked anything like Duke blue. The baseball team wore their navy blue uniforms a few times at the College World Series. I think both teams look pretty sharp with the navy blue. Also, doesn't the basketball team have warm-ups that are navy?

Wander
09-12-2008, 09:59 AM
A bus driver was supposed to pick up the team's pants but accidentally drove to Wallace Wade instead.

Also, Rutgers sucks.

PDDuke85
09-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Those were uniforms? Dear god, I thought Sylvia was giving a sneak preview of the upcoming wardrobe. My bad.:D

devildeac
09-12-2008, 02:52 PM
I guess just like black is one of our "official" colors:rolleyes:.

arnie
09-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Isn't it sad that a win over Vandy (a team that hasn't had a winning season in 20+ years) would be considered a huge win. I'm not disagreeing, but I guess the truth hurts. I think a win over Navy is essential tomorrow if we expect to win more than 2 games.

davekay1971
09-12-2008, 07:01 PM
Isn't it sad that a win over Vandy (a team that hasn't had a winning season in 20+ years) would be considered a huge win. I'm not disagreeing, but I guess the truth hurts. I think a win over Navy is essential tomorrow if we expect to win more than 2 games.

I don't think it's sad at all that a win over Vandy would be a huge win. Vandy beat South Carolina, a solid team coming off totally dominating NCSU. Vandy has had good teams the last few years. Here are the reasons Vandy hasn't had winning seasons: Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, etc... If Vandy played in the ACC and scheduled a couple of cupcake non-conference teams (like, say, McNeese St and Rutgers), they'd have a winning season pretty frequently. Beating Vandy, an SEC team with one big win already under their belt this season, at Vandy, would be a HUGE win and a monster upset.

Also, I think you're dead wrong that Duke has to beat Navy to get more than 2 wins this season. Duke's other winnable games: Virginia, NCSU, and UNC, all home games. The Miami game, and our away games, are going to be VERY tough. But if we can beat Navy, and take care of business at home, we could be at 4 or 5 wins by the end of the season.

BTW - Carolina still sucks. If they're any better than 2-2 after their next two games, then I'll give them credit...a little credit. They've got a cupcake schedule all the way through, getting Va Tech and Ga Tech at home (the best two ACC teams they play), and having NOBODY good (yes, and I'm including Notre Dame) on their non-conferenc slate. Despite this sorry schedule, and despite what they did to a lousy Rutgers team last night, they won't finish the season bowl eligible.

RelativeWays
09-12-2008, 07:14 PM
I thought Vandy went to a couple of bowl games when Cutler was there. I seem to remember they have had a bit of an upswing in the early double aughts.

Edit: Nope, no bowl games. May be that they upset a couple of the big schools in the SEC and that made a lot of news. Sad or not, a win over Vandy is a step forward. We can't have shame stopping us. I remember when Duke students stormed Wallace Wade when we beat ECU in....2003 was it? ECU was not particularly good that year.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2008, 07:21 PM
I'm just throwing in my 2 cents here.

Crapola.

RelativeWays
09-12-2008, 07:26 PM
Question: If Carolina and Duke were become the powers of ACC football (yes this is EXTREMELY hypothetical) does anyone think that this could be good for the conference maybe? Maybe the rivalry would help take national prominence like Michigan Ohio State and give the conference much needed positive attention. Obviously adding more "football power teams" didn't help, although Miami, BC and VT have gotten better in basketball :rolleyes:

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2008, 07:47 PM
Question: If Carolina and Duke were become the powers of ACC football (yes this is EXTREMELY hypothetical) does anyone think that this could be good for the conference maybe?
Of course it would. Any team in the ACC that is a power helps the conference. When FSU joined it gave us more credibility. Unfortunately, they haven't done so hot lately. Same with VT. Hopefully people won't look at the recent fortunes of those teams that have joined up, because on the whole, it hasn't worked out as well as they would have liked. I think in 3 or 4 years, State, UNC AND Duke will have much better programs, and I think the ACC all around will be much better and a conference to be reckoned with. And I don't see Wake dipping any time soon. For whatever reason, however, right now we are in a funk. Watch, in a few years, this season will prove to be very pivotal for everyone.

P.S...Even if it means that UNC beats the snot out of people other than Duke, like Rutgers, it is a sign of good things. Bleah, that leaves a bad taste writing that.

ugadevil
09-12-2008, 10:33 PM
BTW - Carolina still sucks. If they're any better than 2-2 after their next two games, then I'll give them credit...a little credit. They've got a cupcake schedule all the way through, getting Va Tech and Ga Tech at home (the best two ACC teams they play), and having NOBODY good (yes, and I'm including Notre Dame) on their non-conferenc slate. Despite this sorry schedule, and despite what they did to a lousy Rutgers team last night, they won't finish the season bowl eligible.

I hope you're not criticizing Carolina for their non-conference schedule. They scheduled two teams that have built very solid programs over the past couple years, Rutgers and Connecticut. Say what you want about the Scarlet Knights right now, but going into this season they were expected to be very good. And scheduling Notre Dame isn't like playing a JV team. They might be down right now but they're still the most storied program in college football and it's always a big game for whoever is playing them.

arnie
09-13-2008, 07:32 AM
I don't think it's sad at all that a win over Vandy would be a huge win. Vandy beat South Carolina, a solid team coming off totally dominating NCSU. Vandy has had good teams the last few years. Here are the reasons Vandy hasn't had winning seasons: Florida, Georgia, Auburn, Alabama, Tennessee, LSU, etc... If Vandy played in the ACC and scheduled a couple of cupcake non-conference teams (like, say, McNeese St and Rutgers), they'd have a winning season pretty frequently. Beating Vandy, an SEC team with one big win already under their belt this season, at Vandy, would be a HUGE win and a monster upset.

Also, I think you're dead wrong that Duke has to beat Navy to get more than 2 wins this season. Duke's other winnable games: Virginia, NCSU, and UNC, all home games. The Miami game, and our away games, are going to be VERY tough. But if we can beat Navy, and take care of business at home, we could be at 4 or 5 wins by the end of the season.

My point about "beating Vandy would be a HUGE win and monster upset" has to do with historical perspective. I have gone to at least one Duke game since 1969 (except for last year) and have watched the program continously erode. I will be at the game today and very excited about the beating Navy. However, I find it strange that beating Vandy would be "huge".

I'm not saying you are wrong - but based on overall program history and the fact that we recruit similar athletes, a game against the two programs should be very close in most years. I don't have Vandy's records in front of me, but I seem to recall in addition to losing most all of their SEC games over the last 30+ years, their record against Division I OOC games has been poor (except for the occasional win over Duke).