PDA

View Full Version : Sagegrouse - Goatnapper

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2008, 07:38 AM
I see from the front page story that DBR provider of wisdom sagegrouse was involved in stealing Navy's goat. Would love to hear more of that story, what does a group of freshmen do with a goat after midnight on campus?

devildeac
09-11-2008, 08:03 AM
I see from the front page story that DBR provider of wisdom sagegrouse was involved in stealing Navy's goat. Would love to hear more of that story, what does a group of freshmen do with a goat after midnight on campus?

shave and paint it Duke blue?

sagegrouse
09-11-2008, 08:31 AM
Actually that's one of the most interesting parts of the story.

Three of four of us were inside the equipment room at Card. As we came out of the gym through a first floor window (Elzay remembers we had to jump -- I don't), all of a sudden a pickup appeared. I think it was a Budweiser (or maybe Schlitz) truck, driven by ex football player Jim Gardner (no relation to Bill) along with legendary future Duke trainer Max Crowder (who was just as bald at 23 or so as he was later on).

I believe they had some inkling that mischief was afoot, or else they wanted to grab the goat themselves.

Anyway, the seven of us piled in the pickup along with the goat and went to the beer distributor's warehouse, where the foul deeds of shaving and painting the goat occurred. (It is all a bit embarrassing now.) I expect some of our host's bevereages were consumed (drinking age was 18).

We returned to campus and took the goat to a section in Kilgo (the freshman quad then), where the goat was put in a storage room. (A housemaster may have opened the door for us). That was when the word got around campus about what had happened, and a huge amount of screaming and hollering occurred. (This was a very innocent era.) I remember the chant, "frosh got the goat," being yelled over and over.

Others can contribute more.

Sagegrouse
'Go Duke -- Beat Navy'

killerleft
09-11-2008, 10:17 AM
A great story! I love to read, hear, and see some of the older stuff. The other videos (such as the Heyman-Brown brawl) that show up along with the linked Navy game are fascinating.

captmojo
09-11-2008, 10:25 AM
My congratulations on a wonderful, successful and daring mission.

chrishoke
09-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Classic story. I love that Max had a hand in this!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-11-2008, 11:53 AM
Actually that's one of the most interesting parts of the story.

Three of four of us were inside the equipment room at Card. As we came out of the gym through a first floor window (Elzay remembers we had to jump -- I don't), all of a sudden a pickup appeared. I think it was a Budweiser (or maybe Schlitz) truck, driven by ex football player Jim Gardner (no relation to Bill) along with legendary future Duke trainer Max Crowder (who was just as bald at 23 or so as he was later on).

I believe they had some inkling that mischief was afoot, or else they wanted to grab the goat themselves.

Anyway, the seven of us piled in the pickup along with the goat and went to the beer distributor's warehouse, where the foul deeds of shaving and painting the goat occurred. (It is all a bit embarrassing now.) I expect some of our host's bevereages were consumed (drinking age was 18).

We returned to campus and took the goat to a section in Kilgo (the freshman quad then), where the goat was put in a storage room. (A housemaster may have opened the door for us). That was when the word got around campus about what had happened, and a huge amount of screaming and hollering occurred. (This was a very innocent era.) I remember the chant, "frosh got the goat," being yelled over and over.

Others can contribute more.

Sagegrouse
'Go Duke -- Beat Navy'
After reading through the accounts of "getting the goat," I went back to my 1964 Chanticleer to refresh my memory.... I was only a freshman then! Sagegrouse, your class included many who were important in making Duke what it was in those heady days. When I read your name I thought it familiar...... I worked on the Chanticleer that year and often ran into folks on the Chronicle staff.

As for the Navy game, it was one of the few I missed in those days. I was in the junior class play at school, to be performed that evening. The junior class sponsor didn't want me going to the game and ruining my voice, so I stayed home while my family went to the game. My grandfather went in my place. I don't remember whether it was on TV.... games were just beginning to be telecast then. I do remember Ad Pennfield as the voice of the Duke Radio Network. And I do remember the importance of the game. It was thrilling to experience the stunning defeat handed out that day! The 1960 football season was truly a wonderful time to enjoy Duke football!

Bluedog
09-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Great story! A couple random questions. Was it common to go for two-point conversions early in the game back then? When Navy had a 10-0 lead, Duke went for two to make it 10-8 in the third quarter, and then again to make it 16-10. We'd never see that these days. Was just wondering why... Also, were field goals harder to make or was the yardage different or something? On the clip, they say Duke made a 35-yard field goal, the longest in Duke history. Seems hard to believe...I suppose it's possible that field goal kicking is just that much better. The field goal post is obviously different as well. Thanks for sharing!

sagegrouse
09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
Great story! A couple random questions. Was it common to go for two-point conversions early in the game back then? When Navy had a 10-0 lead, Duke went for two to make it 10-8 in the third quarter, and then again to make it 16-10. We'd never see that these days. Was just wondering why... Also, were field goals harder to make or was the yardage different or something? On the clip, they say Duke made a 35-yard field goal, the longest in Duke history. Seems hard to believe...I suppose it's possible that field goal kicking is just that much better. The field goal post is obviously different as well. Thanks for sharing!

You noticed the same thing I did when I watched the video. The Devils, which had a perfectly good kicker, went for two points after each of its two TDs and made them.

Bill Murray, who took some grief for conservative play calling, was actually quite a thinker and innovator on the field. Tee Moorman was one of the first split ends. Duke had a variety of well executed dipsy doodle plays. And punter Randy Carpenter, would spend it seemed the entire practice time standing at the 50 and getting the ball to stop dead at the five yard line. (Teams weren't allowed to down the ball inside the 10 at that time.)

You now, I also noted that the 35 yard kick was the longest in Duke history. Two years later, IIRC, Duke kicked a 42 yarder to beat UNC 6-3. Straight-ahead kicking was a real adventure and not nearly as accurate as the soccer style.

sagegrouse

77devil
09-11-2008, 01:23 PM
What is that odd looking device in the picture just to the right of the goatnappers?;) From the looks of the dresser in the background, the furniture in the Kilgo sections hadn't changed when I arrived at Stonehenge 13 years later.

77devil
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
I love that Max had a hand in this!

ditto.

Olympic Fan
09-11-2008, 01:56 PM
Love the stories ... and I love the photo wow, that goat was quite a ham ... look at him posing for the camera!

Indoor66
09-11-2008, 02:32 PM
Classic story. I love that Max had a hand in this!

Heck, Max was making sure they weren't destroying his home! :)

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2008, 05:22 PM
Heck, Max was making sure they weren't destroying his home! :)

At the JMU game, my dad ('61) and I went touring the quads so I could get pictures, and he was telling me tales of his life back then. He mentioned that Max lived in Card, I thought that was hilarious.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-11-2008, 05:34 PM
At the JMU game, my dad ('61) and I went touring the quads so I could get pictures, and he was telling me tales of his life back then. He mentioned that Max lived in Card, I thought that was hilarious.
Oh, the stories on our campus! I grew up hearing some of them, but love to hear more! .... and maybe tell a few myself!

summerwind03
09-11-2008, 06:07 PM
What a great story!

I loved Max, he always had a smile for everyone.

Uncle Drew
09-12-2008, 06:55 AM
I'm glad someone else picked up that Sage was involved in all this, because it didn't even register with me after reading the DBR article. I must say being involved in such an incident puts Sage in a whole different light and a whole higher level of coolness. For all you have accomplished in life you have a right to be proud. For being involved in a moment of mischevous "Animal House" type history you may call yourself "LEGEND". All bow before Sagegrouse! :cool:

For what it's worth I haven't been this impressed with anyone older than me since I found out my boss was actually at Woodstock and has the ticket stubs to prove it.

Jim3k
09-13-2008, 03:03 AM
I'm glad someone else picked up that Sage was involved in all this, because it didn't even register with me after reading the DBR article. I must say being involved in such an incident puts Sage in a whole different light and a whole higher level of coolness. For all you have accomplished in life you have a right to be proud. For being involved in a moment of mischevous "Animal House" type history you may call yourself "LEGEND". All bow before Sagegrouse! :cool:

For what it's worth I haven't been this impressed with anyone older than me since I found out my boss was actually at Woodstock and has the ticket stubs to prove it.

Well, Sage did not become Senator Senator Blutarsky, but he's definitely had a successful career -- and it continues.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 06:49 AM
Well, Sage did not become Senator Senator Blutarsky, but he's definitely had a successful career -- and it continues.
As they used to sing and say on a popular TV show, "Those were the days." Folks who have come along after us might be surprised at how inventive we were then and what fun we had!