PDA

View Full Version : Cutcliffe teaches class

CameronBornAndBred
09-10-2008, 11:44 PM
This is great! (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/09/10/Football/Cutcliffe.Teaches.Football.101.Monday.In.Marketpla ce-3423244.shtml) An article from the Chronicle talking about Coach Cut's interaction with some freshman, breaking down game film with them and talking about how he'd like it to be a weekly thing. It's the things he is doing off the field that makes me appreciate what he has going on the field that much more, plus it can only get more people in the stands. I hope if he gets our program on the right track, the university goes all out to keep him. It's still a ways off to think about that, but if he wins at Duke, others will come calling.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-10-2008, 11:52 PM
This is great! (http://media.www.dukechronicle.com/media/storage/paper884/news/2008/09/10/Football/Cutcliffe.Teaches.Football.101.Monday.In.Marketpla ce-3423244.shtml) An article from the Chronicle talking about Coach Cut's interaction with some freshman, breaking down game film with them and talking about how he'd like it to be a weekly thing. It's the things he is doing off the field that makes me appreciate what he has going on the field that much more, plus it can only get more people in the stands. I hope if he gets our program on the right track, the university goes all out to keep him. It's still a ways off to think about that, but if he wins at Duke, others will come calling.

I hope the people who manage the money and the hiring have learned that it will be as important to keep Coach Cutcliffe as it is to keep Coach K.

Edouble
09-10-2008, 11:56 PM
I hope the people who manage the money and the hiring have learned that it will be as important to keep Coach Cutcliffe as it is to keep Coach K.

Maybe we should wait until we've played a few seasons before deciding that. At this point, Coach K's won more National Championships than Coach Cutcliffe has won games.

Uncle Drew
09-11-2008, 12:17 AM
Maybe we should wait until we've played a few seasons before deciding that. At this point, Coach K's won more National Championships than Coach Cutcliffe has won games.

True, but if Duke beats Navy Coach Cut will have the same record Coach K had after the first three games at Duke. :D

BlueintheFace
09-11-2008, 12:20 AM
... can we wait until we beat a real Division I school please?

Uncle Drew
09-11-2008, 01:43 AM
... can we wait until we beat a real Division I school please?

I agree Blue 1000%. LOL! Just another view of how facts can be used to show anything and how pessimists vs optimists view things. Kind of funny, because I have tended to be pessimistic about basketball the last couple years. But I guess when the program gets down so low like football did, up is the only direction you can go.

PDDuke85
09-11-2008, 09:34 AM
I've tried to remain cautious with my unbriddled enthusiasm regarding the palpable change in the Duke football program. I must admit, 1 victory over JMU doesn't call for the naming of Cutcliffe Field at Wallace Wade Stadium. After seeing the program decay over the past several years (OK, decades) however, what we are seeing over the past 8 months is truly remarkable.

Let's keep people in the seats, let's continue to match Coach Cutcliffe's energy in this process, and let's beat the hell out of Navy.
;)

dukeimac
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
I agree Blue 1000%. LOL! Just another view of how facts can be used to show anything and how pessimists vs optimists view things. Kind of funny, because I have tended to be pessimistic about basketball the last couple years. But I guess when the program gets down so low like football did, up is the only direction you can go.

I think you need to be sure that you aren't a realist rather than a pessimist.

I've taken time to note how teams put together their teams that won the national title. The past so many years the teams Duke has had have been good but not good enough. I don't necessarily believe Duke needs a big inside presence as some others do, the game has changed. But they need to do a good to great job at rebounding and playing defense with a good bench.

They have had teams that play good defense and do a good job rebounding, using guys like DN to get the job done. But the bench contribution has been lacking. When they get 8 guys who can really contribute; rebounding, play defense and score some critical points I'll believe they have the team to do it. But I think that is being a realist.

As long as you have guys in the game that the other team doesn't need to be to concerned about it limits how far you can go. Guys like Zo and Thomas have done nice jobs at times but really teams like UNC don't get to concerned about them when they are in the games.

And no I don't think UNC will cut the nets down this year. The only way is if they go away from Hans and Ellington comes up big in every game they need a big score. And I don't think that will happen because I think Ellington will spend the season thinking about how he can best position himself for the pros rather than for the team. Last year, Henderson was much better at the entire game then Ellington was.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM

I apologize for my tendency to make elliptical comments. The meaning I intended was that if Coach Cutcliffe creates the success and quality that we see building, I hope that those who control the money and hiring recognize the significance of his influence at Duke and find a way to keep him here a long time..... as has been the case with Coach K. While national championships are admirable, I don't see that as Coach K's major contribution at Duke, only a part of it. His legacy is his widespread influence on the quality of life at Duke. Coach Cutcliffe is already demonstrating a significant influence to improve the quality of life on campus.... a trend that is likely to grow.

CameronBornAndBred
09-11-2008, 06:23 PM
Just to restate my initial point before people jump all over the ludicrousness of it, I merely said "It's still a ways off to think about that, but if he wins at Duke, others will come calling." If you remember the success that Goldsmith had here his first year, he was a lead candidate for several offers, but he chose to stay. (Wonder how he thinks of that now). I'll be elated if Cutcliffe even does half as well as Goldsmith his first outing. But other schools will notice any coach having success at Duke.
And excellent points added there, Devil in the Blue Dress.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Just to restate my initial point before people jump all over the ludicrousness of it, I merely said "It's still a ways off to think about that, but if he wins at Duke, others will come calling." If you remember the success that Goldsmith had here his first year, he was a lead candidate for several offers, but he chose to stay. (Wonder how he thinks of that now). I'll be elated if Cutcliffe even does half as well as Goldsmith his first outing. But other schools will notice any coach having success at Duke.
And excellent points added there, Devil in the Blue Dress.

Thank you, sir!
When I think of Goldsmith's first season, somehow I think of Steve Spurrier's recruits more than Goldsmith's coaching prowess.

killerleft
09-11-2008, 10:05 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think Goldsmith won with Barry Wilson's recruits. I am sure that Spurriers' top players were recruited by Steve Sloan.

Inonehand
09-12-2008, 01:32 PM
Not 100% sure, but I think Goldsmith won with Barry Wilson's recruits. I am sure that Spurriers' top players were recruited by Steve Sloan.

Partially true, but the fifth year seniors were Spurrier's.