PDA

View Full Version : UNC Fans on Roy Williams

FireOgilvie
03-25-2007, 08:55 PM
If you want to see something amusing go check out Inside Carolina and read some of the comments made after the game about Roy Williams. I really can't understand how the same people that say things like the following also bash Coach K every time he shows any emotion about his team or gives the other team credit for a win.

"it's embarrassing to know that while that's going on, people are back here calling roy everything but a child of god."
"Some folks around here are sickening at how they start bashing Coach every time we loose."
"Since they're calling him everything but, I'll call him a child of God. Even "Michelangelo" made coaching errors; Roy isn't perfect but he is the next best thing to perfection. I sure am glad he's on our bench. I love Roy!"
"He has to deal with his own disappointment and at the same time try to keep a group of 20-somethings from falling apart, all at the same time a group of god-bedamned media have cameras and microphones in their faces."

It's also interesting to see the contrast in the type of people that post on the Carolina message boards (as opposed to Duke).

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 08:58 PM
It's also interesting to see the contrast in the type of people that post on the Carolina message boards (as opposed to Duke).

The difference isn't as big as we'd like to think. In general, we're less confrontational in person, and there are more of them. That's about it.

feldspar
03-25-2007, 09:09 PM
Amazing how when the tables are turned, UNC fans are so tolerant of players and coaches wearing their emotions on their sleeve.

:rolleyes:

jipops
03-25-2007, 09:10 PM
The difference isn't as big as we'd like to think. In general, we're less confrontational in person, and there are more of them. That's about it.

Yeah, we're definitely not too much different. Our post-loss threads can be very embarrassing as well.

But we are a bit different atleast, thank god.

freedevil
03-25-2007, 09:13 PM
Feldspar - I completely agree. I will never forget how many Carolina fans ripped Chris Carrawell for crying after he finished his college career.... but now that Ol Roy sheds a tear after every season ending loss, it's suddenly okay, because he's a passionate man and "Roy loves his kids."

Anyone who speaks in the 3rd person can be presumed a phony until proven otherwise.

freedevil
03-25-2007, 09:14 PM
Moreover, no one (but people on this board) will ever mention the camera catching Hansbrough swearing while he took a seat on the bench in the first half. I thought no UNC player or coach, past or present, would ever even dream of swearing?

Jumbo
03-25-2007, 09:15 PM
Amazing how when the tables are turned, UNC fans are so tolerant of players and coaches wearing their emotions on their sleeve.

:rolleyes:

Please post that on IC. Please. And save some of the comments for the next time they pull that crap.

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 09:21 PM
It would have to be somebody who

a) is already registered over there and
b) doesn't mind getting banned permanently

IC bans opposing fans, year-round, at the slightest opposition. And they're certainly not going to accept new applications right after a season-terminal loss.

feldspar
03-25-2007, 09:24 PM
Please post that on IC. Please. And save some of the comments for the next time they pull that crap.

I did. And I was summarily banned.

Shocker.

They erased my post literally a few seconds after I posted.

Jumbo
03-25-2007, 09:25 PM
I did. And I was summarily banned.

Shocker.

They erased my post literally a few seconds after I posted.

Way to take one for the team. You're today's MVP. Got a link to the thread?
And don't worry -- you can re-register in a couple of weeks.

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 09:26 PM
My advice with dealing with IC, if you want to re-register, is don't put anything obviously Duke-affiliated in your screen name.

feldspar
03-25-2007, 09:31 PM
Way to take one for the team. You're today's MVP. Got a link to the thread?
And don't worry -- you can re-register in a couple of weeks.

Here's the link:http://mb19.scout.com/finsidecarolinafrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=13083 2.topic&start=41&stop=50

My post was at about 9:06. You can see one of the admins posting at 9:08 saying "dukewake, you have a sad little life. Enjoy" just after banning me.

I don't remember exactly what I posted, but it was something to the effect of "So Chris Carrawell, JJ Redick and Coach K are laughed at for years for wearing their emotions on their sleeves and crying after tough losses but now that Ol' Roy shows up in Chapel Hill, it's all of a sudden a noble practice? Please."

FireOgilvie
03-25-2007, 09:38 PM
Here's the link:http://mb19.scout.com/finsidecarolinafrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=13083 2.topic&start=41&stop=50

My post was at about 9:06. You can see one of the admins posting at 9:08 saying "dukewake, you have a sad little life. Enjoy" just after banning me.

I don't remember exactly what I posted, but it was something to the effect of "So Chris Carrawell, JJ Redick and Coach K are laughed at for years for wearing their emotions on their sleeves and crying after tough losses but now that Ol' Roy shows up in Chapel Hill, it's all of a sudden a noble practice? Please."

Inside Carolina = Nazi Germany.

throatybeard
03-25-2007, 09:41 PM
Inside Carolina = Nazi Germany.

That's a bit much.

calltheobvious
03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
http://mb19.scout.com/finsidecarolinafrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=13083 2.topic&start=41&stop=52

Sorry, no html, but I thought I'd take advantage of the fact that I registered there several years ago with a non-duke-affiliated handle. Anybody tell me how to do a screen shot while it's still up?

feldspar
03-25-2007, 10:19 PM
http://mb19.scout.com/finsidecarolinafrm6.showMessageRange?topicID=13083 2.topic&start=41&stop=52

Sorry, no html, but I thought I'd take advantage of the fact that I registered there several years ago with a non-duke-affiliated handle. Anybody tell me how to do a screen shot while it's still up?

You phrased it much better than I in order to not be banned :)

Well done.

mapei
03-25-2007, 10:44 PM
I'm a Georgetown fan as well as a Duke fan, and I thought Roy was a 100% class act in his post-game press conference. This isn't the time to bash him. Carolina is lucky to have him.

feldspar
03-25-2007, 10:46 PM
I'm a Georgetown fan as well as a Duke fan, and I thought Roy was a 100% class act in his post-game press conference. This isn't the time to bash him. Carolina is lucky to have him.

No bashing of Roy here. I think it's great that he has so much heart and loves his kids so much.

I think it's ridiculous, however, that now that UNC has a coach and players that actually show emotion, that all of a sudden it's okay and not worthy of ridicule from their hypocritical fans.

What's new, though, huh?

mapei
03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
True enough. Just because Roy is a class act doesn't mean his team's fans are!

FireOgilvie
03-25-2007, 10:48 PM
No bashing of Roy here. I think it's great that he has so much heart and loves his kids so much.

I think it's ridiculous, however, that now that UNC has a coach and players that actually show emotion, that all of a sudden it's okay and not worthy of ridicule.

Exactly. I think it's great that both K and Roy obviously care a lot about their players and fans.

Uncle Drew
03-26-2007, 04:59 AM
Someone said not to post a name on IC with anything obviously Duke related in their name. It suddenly occured to me to many here on DBR my name might seem obviously Carolina. (And God do I hate that!) My last name is Latta and as a life long Duke fan you can not imagine how it' has pained me to have someone with the same last name (Ivory Latta) playing in a light blue uniform. Then throw in the fact Felton was from Latta SC, and it makes it even worse. I will be so glad when Ivory graduates so I don't have to go to work and see headlines posted all over the department reading everything from, "Latta Guides Heels To Victory" to "Latta Helps Down Duke".

TillyGalore
03-26-2007, 08:38 AM

If you press "alt" and "print screen" at the same time it should capture the image. I assume you could paste in a post here, though I haven't done it. I know you can paste it in a word document, thus assume could do so here.