PDA

View Full Version : Duke 41, Navy 31

Bob Green
09-08-2008, 06:39 AM
Duke will have to stop the Navy running attack on Saturday. In their first two games, the Midshipmen are averaging 452 yards per game (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/stats?teamId=2426) on the ground with six TDs.

Go Duke!!! Beat Navy!!!

Gunnar Kaufman
09-08-2008, 06:43 AM
Duke will have to stop the Navy running attack on Saturday. In their first two games, the Midshipmen are averaging 452 yards per game (http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/teams/stats?teamId=2426) on the ground with six TDs.

Go Duke!!! Beat Navy!!!

To be fair, 500-plus of those yards on the ground came against lowly Towson, with a still-impressive 350 or so coming against Ball State.

But yes, if we can stop Navy on the ground, we'll have a great chance of coming away with a W.

77devil
09-08-2008, 08:40 AM

Go Duke!!! Beat Navy!!!

I assumed, wrongly, that you would be for a tie.:D

budwom
09-08-2008, 08:41 AM
I think much depends on whether Navy's top QB plays or not (he's been out this year). Navy board is unclear on this: some say he'll play, others not.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2008, 09:01 AM
The current weather forecast for Saturday is for a high in the mid 80's, but it will feel a bit hotter with high humidity. There's a 40% chance of scattered thunderstorms. Hydration both on and off the field will be important!

Devilsfan
09-08-2008, 11:20 AM
I understand the small Navy team still resorts to chop blocking and misdirection even without P.J. We should beat them by 3 TDs if we come ready to play.

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Northwestern had 269 rushing yards against Syracuse, and Duke then held them to 77 rushing yards. I think our defense does very well against the run.

budwom
09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Indeed, this team has been very good against the run. But last year we didn't make Navy punt even once. Let's hope our improved conditioning and defensive line depth will help.

jv001
09-08-2008, 02:41 PM

Go Duke!!! Beat Navy!!!

Bob, I don't know that much about Navy. Do they still run the triple option? If that is the case, this style of offense is sometimes hard to defend. Let's hope Coach Cut has our defense ready.

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2008, 04:01 PM
Bob, I don't know that much about Navy. Do they still run the triple option? If that is the case, this style of offense is sometimes hard to defend. Let's hope Coach Cut has our defense ready.

I have heard that they kept a lot of Johnson's offense. Would make sense since they went with an inhouse hire. I hope so, we will be that much better prepared for GT on the 4th.

Acymetric
09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
They do still run the option offense. This is a good thing because as someone said it prepares us for GT (I hadn't thought of that, good point). It is also good because we're much better at run defense than pass defense. I know the triple option isn't exactly the same to defend as the run, but I think we'll fare well against it.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Hydration both on and off the field will be important!

I"m all for hydration, especially before the game ;)

Bob Green
09-08-2008, 05:53 PM
I assumed, wrongly, that you would be for a tie.:D

No way. I bleed Duke Blue!

CameronBornAndBred
09-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Early line has us a 2.5 pt. favorite. Not much, but it's been a long time since we have been favored vs. a div. 1 team.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-08-2008, 06:27 PM
Early line has us a 2.5 pt. favorite. Not much, but it's been a long time since we have been favored vs. a div. 1 team.
May not be much of an edge, but it's welcome indeed!

chrishoke
09-08-2008, 07:33 PM
Bob Green,
I've enjoyed your posts here for a long time. Just curious, when was the last time you were able to see a Duke fball gsame in person?

Bob Green
09-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Bob Green,
I've enjoyed your posts here for a long time. Just curious, when was the last time you were able to see a Duke fball gsame in person?

My last trip to Wallace Wade was in 1976 when I watched Duke drop a 44-31 decision to Pittsburgh. It has been way too long and I intend to remedy the situation in the future. I will not make it to WW this season, but will be there in 2009 or 2010. I have a three year old Grandson that I intend to ensure becomes a DukeFanatic!

chrishoke
09-08-2008, 08:43 PM
My last trip to Wallace Wade was in 1976 when I watched Duke drop a 44-31 decision to Pittsburgh. It has been way too long and I intend to remedy the situation in the future. I will not make it to WW this season, but will be there in 2009 or 2010. I have a three year old Grandson that I intend to ensure becomes a DukeFanatic!

Wow. Thanks. That was my first year at UNC law school. I went to Neyland stadium and watched Duke beat Tennessee in front of 90,000 plus screaming Vol fans. It remains my favorite Duke football memory. It is very impressive that you have remained such a strong, loyal, knowledgable fan all these years without being able to support your team in person. Bob, your grandson and your Duke football team need you to come next year. I hope it happens and I hope many of your DBR friends get to meet you at a game.

DukePA
09-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Wow. Thanks. That was my first year at UNC law school. I went to Neyland stadium and watched Duke beat Tennessee in front of 90,000 plus screaming Vol fans. It remains my favorite Duke football memory. It is very impressive that you have remained such a strong, loyal, knowledgable fan all these years without being able to support your team in person. Bob, your grandson and your Duke football team need you to come next year. I hope it happens and I hope many of your DBR friends get to meet you at a game.

Fabulous idea, chrishoke. Come home Bob! We'll have a tremendous tailgate! GO DUKE!! GTHC, GTH!!

cbfx3
09-08-2008, 10:02 PM

I was at that game! that was when Dorsett was at Pitt right?

devildeac
09-08-2008, 10:08 PM
I was at that game! that was when Dorsett was at Pitt right?

You are correct. Ozzie and I were there, too. And no, Bill Werber did not serve the beer:rolleyes:.

Indoor66
09-09-2008, 08:30 AM
You are correct. Ozzie and I were there, too. And no, Bill Werber did not serve the beer:rolleyes:.

I was at that game as well. Duke did OK for the first half, but then Dorsett got going and it was a loooooonger second half. IRRC, Werber did serve the beer.

Highlander
09-09-2008, 12:27 PM

Go Duke!!! Beat Navy!!!

Too bad you can't come Bob. Since this is "Military Appreciation Day," Duke is giving away free tickets to the game to all active, retired, and reserve military personnel who come to the game and flash a military ID at the front gate.

What a great promotion. I know a few military families on a budget who would love to take their kids to a college football game, and it's tough to beat free. My only concern is that we aren't overrun with midshipmen (no offense, Bob) ;)

killerleft
09-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Fellow Army vets! "Charge!" to Wallace Wade Stadium to counteract the noise from the Midshipmen! It's Free! It's Fun! It's Free!

killerleft
09-09-2008, 04:35 PM
Whoa! That's active Army vets that get in free! Sorry!

Highlander
09-09-2008, 08:09 PM
Whoa! That's active Army vets that get in free! Sorry!

Active, Retired, Reserved. It doesn't matter.

All get in free with a military ID.

Uncle Drew
09-09-2008, 11:35 PM
Perhaps this belongs in a thread all it's own. But it occured to me the other day now that football seems to be attempting to turn things around and getting higher profile players. Well I can't rate Greg Paulus or his chances of getting drafted / playing in the NBA. I've seen improvement every year from the guy especially in his shooting. But I have a hypothetical question that needs a hypothetical answer. IF Palus didn't get drafted for whatever reason, COULD he be awarded a scholorship for grad school to play football? I'm sure this is the last thing on his mind with the season coming up and that's good. But has he or his family said he will NOT be playing football ever? And could things have changed since the last time the subject was brought up to he or his family?

formerdukeathlete
09-10-2008, 01:29 AM
Perhaps this belongs in a thread all it's own. But it occured to me the other day now that football seems to be attempting to turn things around and getting higher profile players. Well I can't rate Greg Paulus or his chances of getting drafted / playing in the NBA. I've seen improvement every year from the guy especially in his shooting. But I have a hypothetical question that needs a hypothetical answer. IF Palus didn't get drafted for whatever reason, COULD he be awarded a scholorship for grad school to play football? I'm sure this is the last thing on his mind with the season coming up and that's good. But has he or his family said he will NOT be playing football ever? And could things have changed since the last time the subject was brought up to he or his family?

Greg could play Football his first year of grad school at Duke (5 years to complete 4 years eligibility in any one sport).

Uncle Drew
09-10-2008, 01:47 AM
Greg could play Football his first year of grad school at Duke (5 years to complete 4 years eligibility in any one sport).

Thanks for the answer but by saying "in any one sport", does that mean a player can have 4 or 5 years eligibility in a second sport i.e. football? I mean I hope Greg makes the NBA but I was just curious if football at Duke was an option if things didn't work out.

DU82
09-10-2008, 08:39 PM
Thanks for the answer but by saying "in any one sport", does that mean a player can have 4 or 5 years eligibility in a second sport i.e. football? I mean I hope Greg makes the NBA but I was just curious if football at Duke was an option if things didn't work out.

The five year clock starts when you attend classes as a freshman. So, no, Greg can't have five more years as a student playing football.

The clock only stops for Mormon missions, and possibly military drafts (not sureabout that, and don't have the NCAA rule book handy.) It can be extended to six years for unusual situations, such as severe or multiple injuries that wipe out two full years (we have one football player right now in his sixth year.)

jimsumner
09-10-2008, 09:44 PM
You do realize that Greg Paulus hasn't played football since the autumn of 2004? Even if he were inclined to play football next season--and we have no reason to believe that is the case--the odds of him coming in and beating out an incumbent senior starter, a backup with significant experience, and a Parade All-America redshirt freshman for playing time is pretty darn near zero.

Greg closed the door on college football when he signed a basketball LOI with Duke. He knew what he was doing and I have seen or nothing to suggest that he has second-guessed that decision.

Uncle Drew
09-10-2008, 10:50 PM
You do realize that Greg Paulus hasn't played football since the autumn of 2004? Even if he were inclined to play football next season--and we have no reason to believe that is the case--the odds of him coming in and beating out an incumbent senior starter, a backup with significant experience, and a Parade All-America redshirt freshman for playing time is pretty darn near zero.

Greg closed the door on college football when he signed a basketball LOI with Duke. He knew what he was doing and I have seen or nothing to suggest that he has second-guessed that decision.

Thanks DU82 & Sumner for the information and clarification. I guess I was getting confused because Love played basketball after his football days were over at Duke. And Weinke being so old for FSU when he played football probably played with my brain cells as well. At any rate Jim, I realize Paulus is not in "football" shape at the present time. We all remember how the swing between sports affected Curry in both sports for UNC. I appreciate the fact Greg gave 110% to basketball for Duke and I hope his dedication is rewarded with an NBA contract some day. I was simply wondering if college football at Duke could be a fallback plan, which it can't.

As for the Navy game, while we were all disappointed in the final score against Northwestern. Looking at the stats in most every other area has to be encouraging. Anyone can tell this team is in better shape than last season and has learned a LOT in the short time Cut has been coach. I don't know who is favored in the game and don't care, for that game and the rest of the season. I really think this team, with the ACC having a down year can sneak up on some teams and WILL win one or more ACC games this season. Mistakes cost against Northwestern, if this team plays mistake free for the most part I see good things ahead. Go Duke, beat Navy and thanks to all our vets who have served the US over the years.

devildeac
09-10-2008, 11:17 PM
Abandon ship!
Abandon ship!

LGD! Sink Navy!

formerdukeathlete
09-11-2008, 01:33 PM

Jim, I think the question was more "could" Greg play Football for us, rather than intending to imply that he "should" play Football.

There is another hitch, if Greg is on the Football roster, since he was a recruited basketball player, he counts toward the 85 limit, whether on scholarship or not. Lets presume if he goes out and is on the roster that one benefit for him is a scholarship his first year of grad school. And Cut would not invite him on the team without considering this. In the offchance Greg wanted to do this, I would presume that he would be allowed to do so - for a variety of reasons.

I think it helpful to point out that Greg was more highly recruited than any of our current qbs, Renfree being a fairly close second. Greg was national high school player of the year and also a Parade All-American. So, in terms of raw talent, he is way up there. 4 years as point guard and his quickness and toughness are there. Your point is well made, however, Greg's talent is superior. Remember power forward Sam Clancy at Pitt, Gene Banks contemporary? He had an NFL career as a Defensive End, and did not play a down in college.

I can understand how our current stable of qbs might not be thrilled with Greg going out. It is kinda like you are a 5th year associate in a large law firm with a specialty in an area where you feel certain you will make partner in a year or two, and then they bring in somebody at your level which lessens your chances. I seem to recall an article in either the newsobserver or herald sun about a pick-up game of touch involving Duke football and basketball players and how Greg ripped passes like a pro. Also, do you remember the comment in one media piece about how the best qb in the ACC plays point guard for Duke?

budwom
09-11-2008, 01:38 PM
This is the mootest of moot points. Sean Renfree was one of the top ten QBS in the country in high school, and he's been learning the system this year as a probable (if no one gets injured) redshirt. Next year Thad Lewis will be a senior.

SharkD
09-12-2008, 01:27 PM
As a show of true, southern hospitality, let's give the Mids a relaxing, pushup-free afternoon in Durham.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2008, 01:37 PM
As a show of true, southern hospitality, let's give the Mids a relaxing, pushup-free afternoon in Durham.

Go Duke! Sink Navy!

jimsumner
09-12-2008, 01:49 PM
A word of warning for those planning on attending. It's supposed to be a bit on the toasty side, low 90s, humid. Noon start. Sun screen and lots of fluids.

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2008, 04:16 PM
A word of warning for those planning on attending. It's supposed to be a bit on the toasty side, low 90s, humid. Noon start. Sun screen and lots of fluids.

I'll be driving there in a car with busted air conditioning. Oh goodie.

DU82
09-12-2008, 05:52 PM
Remember power forward Sam Clancy at Pitt, Gene Banks contemporary? He had an NFL career as a Defensive End, and did not play a down in college.

I most certainly remember Sam Clancy. Pitt played against Duke in Cameron in 1978-79, my freshman year. Clancy went up for a rebound and was undercut (or something similar) and came down on his head. We all heard the bang of his head on the floor. Cameron then went as quiet as I think I'll ever hear it. Fortunately, he was just shaken up, and came back in the game. Unfortunately for us, he came back in the game and beat us.

Regarding basketball players becoming football players, Mike Tissaw (T'1983) tried out for the Cowboys after he graduated, I believe as a tight end. He didn't make it, and Tiss had to "settle" for becoming an Assistant Professor of Psychology at SUNY-Potsdam. Wonderful guy, and great friend of this forum's namesake.

TwoDukeTattoos
09-12-2008, 09:04 PM
The Navy Operational Support Center, Raleigh is allowing us Reservists to attend the game tomorrow despite the fact that it is a drill weekend. The catch is that we are all required to muster at the Will Call Box Office @ 1130 prior to the game and then muster again at the end of the game. And we are required to wear our Navy uniforms. So, you'll see a few of us in the stands. However, while I'll be wearing my Navy uniform, I'll be pulling for my BLUE DEVILS!!! GO DUKE!!!

CameronBornAndBred
09-12-2008, 09:20 PM
However, while I'll be wearing my Navy uniform, I'll be pulling for my BLUE DEVILS!!! GO DUKE!!!

Wear something sneaky and blue, like tape a forked tail to your uniform. And be kind when we poke holes in your boat.

TwoDukeTattoos
09-12-2008, 09:22 PM
Wear something sneaky and blue, like tape a forked tail to your uniform. And be kind when we poke holes in your boat.

Well, as displayed in my avatar, I represent Duke 24/7/365 with my tat. Also, I'll have my Duke stadium seat and flag in hand. My son will be with me as well sporting all his Duke gear!

watzone
09-12-2008, 09:44 PM
Quick Hitter Interview #8 Thaddeus Lewis

http://bluedevilnation.net/

allenmurray
09-12-2008, 09:58 PM
No way. I bleed Duke Blue!

Then we shall win! Thank you Bob!

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-12-2008, 10:24 PM
GO DUKE!!!!! Sink Navy!

Jim3k
09-13-2008, 02:57 AM
Not to respond to any particular poster's recollection of Duke basketball players turning to the football field, I think it should be noted that in 1963, Duke reserve forward ('61-2--63-4) Bob Jamieson walked on to that team and became a safety under Murray. He started quite a few games and did a creditable job. Bob is/was 6-5 and weighed about 215. He was as hard as a rock (but a very nice guy).

He, too, had been a prep all-American as a football player, it wasn't a hard transition for him. (But those days were different from today.)

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 06:50 AM
Rip 'em up, tear 'em up, give 'em hell Duke!

Go Duke! Sink Navy!

Devilsfan
09-13-2008, 08:19 AM
Why does Navy allow their players to chop block?

Lavabe
09-13-2008, 08:20 AM
Any good streaming radio links for today's game? The station that did Bob Harris' call of JMU called the NCSU game last week.

I hope we have good turnout in the Snrubchat: http://www.snrub.com/.

LGD!!
Lavabe

Lavabe
09-13-2008, 10:01 AM
Just this week, we finally broke down and got HDTV. Of all the luck, the package that we had to purchase has ESPNU ... and I see that a certain game at WW is on ESPNU at noon!

This is my lucky day ... where's that lottery thread?

Oh yeah, Duke is going to win. The vibes are falling into place.
Cheers,
Lavabe

Lavabe
09-13-2008, 12:02 PM
Any good streaming radio links for today's game? The station that did Bob Harris' call of JMU called the NCSU game last week.

I hope we have good turnout in the Snrubchat: http://www.snrub.com/.

LGD!!
Lavabe

Throaty now has a new thread alerting folks of the snrubchat address:
http://snrub.ajaxperformance.com/

Sorry for any confusion.
Cheers,
Lavabe

throatybeard
09-13-2008, 12:27 PM

In the 1Q, it's 87 with a dewpoint of 73, so that's a heat index of 94. And barely past noon. Reminds me why I don't really miss Durham.

TheRose77
09-13-2008, 12:36 PM
If my memory serves me correctly, Duke held Tony Dorsett to under 100 yards. And the cheer was "who is Tony Dor-sett, who is Tony Dor-sett". Exciting game for Duke, but as usual during those years, the Devils fell heartbreakingly short.
Tears, then beers. Lots and lots of beers.

Gunnar Kaufman
09-13-2008, 01:33 PM
We're down 24-20 at halftime. We're moving the ball at will offensively, but we can't finish. We missed a short field goal at a bad angle, but we've nailed two field goals--one at 47 yards, and one at 52 yards.

We had a costly turnover that Navy converted into a TD; we returned a fumble for a TD.

And they're moving the ball at will on the ground--and in the air--as well.

Should be a fun second half.

BoC
09-13-2008, 01:42 PM
We're down 24-20 at halftime. We're moving the ball at will offensively, but we can't finish. We missed a short field goal at a bad angle, but we've nailed two field goals--one at 47 yards, and one at 52 yards.

On a replay, it looked to me like a Navy defender just got a hand on the ball on our missed FG.

Gunnar Kaufman
09-13-2008, 01:48 PM
On a replay, it looked to me like a Navy defender just got a hand on the ball on our missed FG.

Agreed, I saw that as well. Kick was too low, though--there wasn't much penetration, IMO.

Gunnar Kaufman
09-13-2008, 02:18 PM
Well we are off to a fantastic start in the 2nd half.

We've held Navy to three consecutive 3-and-outs, and we've taken a 27-24 lead.

Duke ball on Navy's 40.

Gunnar Kaufman
09-13-2008, 02:24 PM
TD Duke.

We lead 34-24, with 1:46 left in the 3rd.

RainingThrees
09-13-2008, 02:33 PM
3rd and 11 and navy got a 68 yard passing TD. GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

throatybeard
09-13-2008, 02:50 PM
Lewis/Riley are now the touchdowningest QB/WR pair in Duke history, with 17.

RainingThrees
09-13-2008, 03:10 PM
Duke 41 Navy 31!!! GO DUKE!!!!

CameronBlue
09-13-2008, 03:11 PM
That surprises me...which tandem did they pass, presumably Chesson-Hart? Or somebody-Hines?

OldPhiKap
09-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Game, set, match.

Man, I'm happy with Cut Ball!!!!!!

bjornolf
09-13-2008, 03:14 PM
Wow, I could only see the gamecast on ESPN, but it looks like the boys really gutted out a solid victory there. Awesome. Congratulations to Cut and a great bunch of guys! :) Eat that, Maxim! We're 2-1, doubling our win count of the last two years. No way we're the WORST team in all of football THIS year! ;)

sandinmyshoes
09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
Coach Cut's offense should be a huge boost on the recruiting trail. Still aways to go on both sides of the ball, especially defense, but at least we're seeing a positive direction!

RainingThrees
09-13-2008, 03:24 PM
So all of you who saw the game on tv... how did we look overall?

DBFAN
09-13-2008, 03:35 PM
How come I could not get the game on TV today. I am assuming that it got blacked out for ESPN, but doesn't that mean it should have come on a local station, I live in Mt. Airy, close to Winston Salem, and the only local game on was NC State vs Clemson, can anyone here enlighten me on this.

DavidBenAkiva
09-13-2008, 03:41 PM
How was the turnout? Were there a lot of fans in the stands or navy-people walking around?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

PallasAthena
09-13-2008, 03:43 PM
The Mighty ESPN-U, available in Raleigh only on the digital cable package.

We looked good, the crowd in the stadium looked good, and the commentators talked extensively about Coach Cut, especially his recruitment of excellent assistants. They had a graphic of where they all came from, mentioned "They all had jobs, good jobs, when Cut called them, and they all said 'yes!'."

A very, very nice afternoon in the Triangle!!

Oriole Way
09-13-2008, 03:48 PM
Hopefully the basketball recruits (Hairston, Thornton + Dawkins/Plumlee) were there and enjoyed the game.

Nice to finally have a football team that can show recruits a good time.

DBFAN
09-13-2008, 03:49 PM
So what you are saying is I would have to live in Raleigh to have gotten this game on the tube. I have the HD package with Time Warner, but it would not matter because I live in Winston. I will never understand the nature of Cable and Satellite programming.

DBFAN
09-13-2008, 03:52 PM
I am a complete idiot, for some stupid reason I just did not look at ESPNU, I went and looked back on the guide, and saw where it was on. Oh Well, maybe next time:mad:

Bluedog
09-13-2008, 03:55 PM
So what you are saying is I would have to live in Raleigh to have gotten this game on the tube. I have the HD package with Time Warner, but it would not matter because I live in Winston. I will never understand the nature of Cable and Satellite programming.

Yeah, I have Comcast which doesn't offer ESPNU anywhere in the nation as far as I know. Very annoying. Would have been fun to watch on TV! Great win!

I am a complete idiot, for some stupid reason I just did not look at ESPNU, I went and looked back on the guide, and saw where it was on. Oh Well, maybe next time:mad:

Unfortunately, that's the only game scheduled for TV this year....Hopefully, we'll be dominating though and they will put more games on TV ;)

DBFAN
09-13-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah, I have Comcast which doesn't offer ESPNU anywhere in the nation as far as I know. Very annoying. Would have been fun to watch on TV! Great win!

Unfortunately, that's the only game scheduled for TV this year....Hopefully, we'll be dominating though and they will put more games on TV ;)

Sigh..................:(

Gunnar Kaufman
09-13-2008, 04:12 PM
The attendance wasn't ideal, and certainly didn't match the support we had for the JMU game, but considering the excessive heat, it wasn't bad at all.

We're a fast-improving but very flawed team. The difference was coaching. The adjustments our staff made at halftime--and the execution of those adjustments--put our offense in a position to win the game because our defense kept Navy's O off the field.

Our running game was non-existent until our final drive of the game. That was the most glaring problem we had today.

The others were easy to spot, as well: Too sloppy with the football (miffed punt led to a Navy TD; nearly fumbled away the ball twice in the fourth quarter; missed a short field goal); gave up too many big plays to Navy's offense; need to block better across the board; and we gained far too few yards on 1st and 2nd downs for our own good.

Our improvements are physical and mental, and that's why we won this game. Eron Riley absolutely outran Navy's secondary on the final score of the game. He is the best skill player Duke's had since Chris Douglas.

Lewis had a very strong game. Great game management, great decision-making (minus a few passes that could/should have been intercepted). He moved the ball around well, completing passes to 9 different players.

The best part of this game was that we closed it out. We are a strong second half team--or at least we have been a stronger second half team than a first half team.

We have two more very winnable games coming up before our schedule stiffens.

Getting our first D-1 win is great. Now let's make it two against Virginia.

BlueintheFace
09-13-2008, 04:13 PM
If it weren't for one or two missed assignments on D that led to big yardage touchdowns, this would have been a much larger margin of victory. We have ZERO running game, but if our D can shape up just a bit we might take a few surprise victories in the ACC this year.

dukestheheat
09-13-2008, 04:16 PM
Game, set, match.

Man, I'm happy with Cut Ball!!!!!!

GO DUKE FOOTBALL! I am now a fan of Coach Cut!

dth.

loran16
09-13-2008, 04:18 PM
How was the turnout? Were there a lot of fans in the stands or navy-people walking around?

Time flies like an arrow
Fruit flies like a banana

Just got out of the shower after being at the game. IT was SCORCHING. They ran out of bottled water (I had 5 Dasanis, myself).

Turnout was much lower than games 1 and 2. I was in first row again, and the student section was still decent, but not as packed as in the JMU or NW games. And the non student seats were much less filled.

As for the game, the O looked good. Cliff Harris didn't look good at all, but Navy's weakness is the pass, so that's not surprising. Lewis had 40 yards of rushing though again on that delayed QB run play, which works great.

Passing was pretty good, with Eron being the main target. Only one deep play and it was over Eron's head again. Thad's still gotta work on this.

Defensively in the first half, we looked poor vs the run, particularly against the option with the toss to the side.

We got better in the 2nd, but they switched QBs for some reason. Not sure if that helped or anything. Against the pass we were poor, but we werent expecting the pass from them too much, so no biggy there.

Special teams though is awful. At least 2 (i think 3) punts had awful snaps (the last one bounced and still went low), but the punter managed them...and of course the missed FG. Joe Surgan from long range was a shocker though. Never thought id say that.

Overall: B+. (A for Offense, B for Defense, D for Special Teams).

WE CAN WIN WHOOHOO!. I'm now 4-34 in my 4 years of watching duke football.

Bluedog
09-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Special teams though is awful. At least 2 (i think 3) punts had awful snaps (the last one bounced and still went low), but the punter managed them...and of course the missed FG. Joe Surgan from long range was a shocker though. Never thought id say that.

Didn't watch the game so obviously I can't say as much as you. But making a 47-yarder and a 52-yarder in the same game seems miraculous for special teams compared to years past. Punting could be a different story though - but at least the FG kicking seems MUCH improved from last year when we went 3-11 for the season.

phaedrus
09-13-2008, 05:26 PM
Great game, but the crowd was really weak. There's no way the side with the president's box was much over half full. Maybe it was the heat?

grossbus
09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
all anyone who doubted a coaching change had to be made had to do to have their mind changed was watch this game.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 05:31 PM
In the 1Q, it's 87 with a dewpoint of 73, so that's a heat index of 94. And barely past noon. Reminds me why I don't really miss Durham.

TV reports (we were at the game) said about 92 degrees, don't know the humidity, but heat index reportedly about 105 degrees. Folks, it was BRUTAL at WW today. But, we love the final result:D. More to come. Just got home, cleaned out the cooler, put away some leftovers and need a shower-desperately-as I am still soaking wet.

RelativeWays
09-13-2008, 05:38 PM
There were a lot of people around the perimeter wall to stay out of the sun. It was bad and I've got a nice red tan :mad: But we won, and its the 1st of 5 (or maybe 6) Duke football games that Ive attended where they actually won. Defense stepped up big second half allowing only the one big play (shouldn't have happened) offense was more consistent. Duke only had one fumble at the end of the game and it was recovered, much better than the muffed punt return in the 1st. It was almost like the 07 Devils were the 1st half, this year, the 2nd.

I will say that the crowd picked up the second half and they have created a more fun atmosphere. Everyone loved the "more cowbell" 3rd down stand. The Vincent Price laugh after every devil TD is EXCELLENT. We had to sit closer on the Navy side and it really started to irritate their fans after about the 3rd time. They need to have the oldschool blue devil face superimpose slowly over "TD" during the laugh for full effect.

I went to the game with my dad and we met up with an old friend of his from his hometown who went to the Naval Academy (the Navy is serious business in Pensacola). They decided to leave right about the 1 minute mark, my Dad got up, thought I was getting up and I said "like hell I'm getting up. Not till the clock is 0:00" He understood completely.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 05:47 PM
Just got out of the shower after being at the game. IT was SCORCHING. They ran out of bottled water (I had 5 Dasanis, myself).

Turnout was much lower than games 1 and 2. I was in first row again, and the student section was still decent, but not as packed as in the JMU or NW games. And the non student seats were much less filled.

As for the game, the O looked good. Cliff Harris didn't look good at all, but Navy's weakness is the pass, so that's not surprising. Lewis had 40 yards of rushing though again on that delayed QB run play, which works great.

Passing was pretty good, with Eron being the main target. Only one deep play and it was over Eron's head again. Thad's still gotta work on this.

Defensively in the first half, we looked poor vs the run, particularly against the option with the toss to the side.

We got better in the 2nd, but they switched QBs for some reason. Not sure if that helped or anything. Against the pass we were poor, but we werent expecting the pass from them too much, so no biggy there.

I'd give the special teams a little more credit. Jones recovered both low snaps nicely and got off 2 respectable punts despite the bad snaps. One punt during the game came to rest at the Navy 1, we held, got good field position and, IIRC, coverted with about a 40 yard drive for a score. Kick coverage was better with no long KO or punt returns. 1 FG was tipped. Last year, we only make 1/3 or 0/3 of those FG:(. Ya gotta remember, the made FG today were about 45 and 52 yards. That's a heck of a lot better than "going for it on every 4th down" which was Coach Cut's mantra about the kicking game in the spring practice and/or summer time;).

Very satisfying result today, especially after the adjustments for the 2nd half after giving up several big plays, making several mistakes and allowing 24 points in the 1st 2Q.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2008, 05:53 PM

It was very hot; the sun was very uncomfortable for many fans, worse for others. Many left at halftime not to return. Dr. Ed Mabry, who has sat next to me for many years, complained that the sun was giving him a headache midway through the second quarter, got up to leave and collapsed. Fans around him laid him out, everyone nearby passed water bottles over and we doused him in water and a couple of ice packs to cool him off. Emergency personnel took what seemed like forever to get there (midfield in the Iron Duke sections, full of big donors. You'd think they would hustle a bit more...). Ed recovered enough to walk up the stairs at halftime to receive further treatment. Ed, if you see this, I hope you're doing OK tonight.

The student section wasn't nearly as full as it has been for the first two games. Too early for them to drag their butts out of bed? That's been talked about ad infinitum in years past, in fact I'm surprised there isn't a code in either section 4 or 7 of the HPR on that (I know because I just looked.) Those students that were their were great, so kudos to you!

The Iron Dukes turned out pretty well, and only those who left because of the sun/temperature left before the end of the game. The group that wasn't there was the general public/casual fan, although the military appreciation ticket giveaway did help. And many thanks to those who served. Glad to have you in Wallace Wade anytime, even if you were rooting for Navy!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2008, 06:11 PM
A little more about the game. Great effort and just SUPER adjustments made at halftime to stop the big gainer runs on the option. Cut mentioned it during his post game interview with AD (Anthony Dilwig). If it wasn't for the two big plays for touchdowns (other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how did you like the play), the defense was almost fabulous the entire game.

The running game was nonexistent, which surprised me. Navy was playing a wide defensive front most of the time, and you'd think we could have blocked them effectively for 5 yard gainers all day long, but we didn't. The passing game, especially those to Eron Riley, was worth the price of admission. Rafael Chestnut made a couple of nice catches and subsequent runs for first downs. Austin Kelly had a nice early catch.

Got more work to do on special teams - long snapping, catching punts (Leon Wright only muffed one punt, and he's done a nice job for two years catching punts, so perhaps we can let him slide one time; I withdraw my criticism), but the coverage on both punts and kickoffs was good to very good. Our run defense and tackling in general has been excellent. Tauiliili, Rey, Oghobaase, pretty much everyone. Our linebackers are becoming NFL draft choices!

Overall, a very satisfying day in WW! I look forward to playing Virginia in two weeks!

Indoor66
09-13-2008, 06:12 PM
IMO, the heat at day games has always been a problem at Duke Football games. I have left many games because of the sun and heat. I was excited about lights at WW, but found them rarely used. I hope Duke starts to schedule home games at night. It is a much more pleasant experience. Additionally, I think it would help attendance by casual fans as it would not interrupt Saturday daytime activities (kid's activities, golf, etc.)

devildeac
09-13-2008, 06:19 PM
IMO, the heat at day games has always been a problem at Duke Football games. I have left many games because of the sun and heat. I was excited about lights at WW, but found them rarely used. I hope Duke starts to schedule home games at night. It is a much more pleasant experience. Additionally, I think it would help attendance by casual fans as it would not interrupt Saturday daytime activities (kid's activities, golf, etc.)

My guess is that the noon start today was TV "dictated" by ESPN-U. It was blistering out there and having the prior 2 games at night were quite an enjoyable change from all those noon/1PM starts in prior years (decades?).

loran16
09-13-2008, 06:20 PM
The student section wasn't nearly as full as it has been for the first two games. Too early for them to drag their butts out of bed? That's been talked about ad infinitum in years past, in fact I'm surprised there isn't a code in either section 4 or 7 of the HPR on that (I know because I just looked.) Those students that were their were great, so kudos to you!

The heat + the earlyness probably had something to do with it, plus i think the northwestern loss hurt a bit....work is starting to pick up for students, so with duke having lost last week, i dont think they were willing to show up as they did previously.

I did though (First row, section 23 Represent!), and will be there again against UVA.

RelativeWays
09-13-2008, 06:22 PM
Now that I have a kid, nights are out until she's older. Late afternoon might be better, October games arent too bad for heat, but the sun is still an issue.

I wonder if Navy sailed home safely...

jimsumner
09-13-2008, 06:44 PM
"Unfortunately, that's the only game scheduled for TV this year....Hopefully, we'll be dominating though and they will put more games on TV "

Lots of TV slots haven't been assigned yet.

The noon start was a function of being on TV. The sad reality is that you can't be on the tube and dictate the game time. It's an either/or. Ironically, it was much cooler on the two earlier Saturdays, when Duke played at 7.

And don't get me started on the students. I was a student once and it never once even remotely occurred to me to sleep in on a home football weekend. This team has worked its rear ends off, made great strides, and deserves a full house. Two weeks until Virginia and a chance to end a conference losing streak that has gone on too long. Be there or be square.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2008, 07:19 PM
The game was great, and I am feeling crispy, the heat was brutal. I read the Navy QB left before halftime due to heat exhauston. Great win for our guys, overcoming an ugly first half and playing like the team they can be. 3 games in and we have a winning record..woohooo!

Sat behind half the bball team, I was tempted to ask which was hotter, today in Wade or Cameron for an ACC matchup.

Ima Facultiwyfe
09-13-2008, 07:30 PM
....must be up there smiling down on this. I bet he and Max Crowder are high fiving!

The Devil really stoked the hellfire in WW today. I felt the beginning of a shivvery chill in the second half and decided that discretion was the better part of valor and went out to find some shade and water. In that short period I missed a Duke touchdown, one of our terrific third down stops and a fumble recovery! It just doesn't pay to even blink! Something exciting happens every other minute.

It should be noted that the stands would have been much fuller had so many not had to take refuge under the trees around outside. I had lots of company out there during my brief cool down. Folks were there, they just weren't in the bleachers. Bless their hearts. More night games please!

Love, Ima

PS The new Devil brought his new attitude up into the stands among the crowd! Super! And the team went over to thank and celebrate with the students post game again. More super!

BlueintheFace
09-13-2008, 07:38 PM
What a great weekend... HAIRSTON and THORNTON COMMIT aaaaand DUKE BEATS NAVY!!! I am ecstatic.

SharkD
09-13-2008, 07:44 PM

It was pretty frustrating that the concessions shacks ran out of water, but wouldn't provide cups of ice -- they said that the cups cost more than the soda. The coke vendors had water, but it was ambient temperature (a refreshing 90+ degree bottle of water -- mmmmm....)

Dr. Ed Mabry, who has sat next to me for many years, complained that the sun was giving him a headache midway through the second quarter, got up to leave and collapsed. Fans around him laid him out, everyone nearby passed water bottles over and we doused him in water and a couple of ice packs to cool him off. Emergency personnel took what seemed like forever to get there (midfield in the Iron Duke sections, full of big donors. You'd think they would hustle a bit more...). Ed recovered enough to walk up the stairs at halftime to receive further treatment. Ed, if you see this, I hope you're doing OK tonight.
We were sitting directly behind you, in Sec 27, Odd, row Y. My wife (5 months pregnant) was the nurse who hurdled three of four rows to make sure that Ed was breathing and had a pulse, when he first collapsed, ready to perform CPR, if need be.

Durham PD showed up within 30 seconds. The Duke EMTs showed up 7 minutes after Ed collapsed, without a stretcher. Considering that we were sitting in the shadow of Sports Med, (metaphorically; a literal shadow would have been a godsend) that was too long, and too little -- we're pretty sure that he collapsed again at the top of the bowl, while they were trying to get him into the Sports Med building.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2008, 07:44 PM
It was very hot; the sun

I was smart enough to put sun screen on my face, arms, ears and the back of my neck (no red-neck here!), like I do when I play golf. But I never put any on my legs - they don't burn when I play golf, even though I wears shorts 99% of the time. Today, sitting there for 3 hours, my thighs are very red and tender for the three or four inches above the knee where the shorts ride when sitting. OUCH!

Acymetric
09-13-2008, 08:16 PM
Does anyone know what the national or conference records are for QB to WR touchdown connections and who owns them? Just curious. I don't think this is a very good sentance, I'm still a little off from all that heat, don't wanna think too much yet. Awesome game, I'll probably still be burnt when we play Virginia.

GO DUKE!

devildeac
09-13-2008, 08:27 PM
Does anyone know what the national or conference records are for QB to WR touchdown connections and who owns them? Just curious. I don't think this is a very good sentance, I'm still a little off from all that heat, don't wanna think too much yet. Awesome game, I'll probably still be burnt when we play Virginia.

GO DUKE!

Jim Sumner warned us yesterday-90+ degrees, sun shining, noon start and that wonderful NC late summer humidity. I put my sunscreen on my ears and neck early and waited about 30 minutes in the blistering, unrelenting sun before applying to my arms and legs and am real glad I did. It was a bit messy but I only have a few slightly red and tender areas on the arms and legs from the broiling that occurred before I applied the protecting balm. It was truly worth it to sit out in the heat today to see the game the Devils played this afternoon.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 08:32 PM
....must be up there smiling down on this. I bet he and Max Crowder are high fiving!

The Devil really stoked the hellfire in WW today. I felt the beginning of a shivvery chill in the second half and decided that discretion was the better part of valor and went out to find some shade and water. In that short period I missed a Duke touchdown, one of our terrific third down stops and a fumble recovery! It just doesn't pay to even blink! Something exciting happens every other minute.

It should be noted that the stands would have been much fuller had so many not had to take refuge under the trees around outside. I had lots of company out there during my brief cool down. Folks were there, they just weren't in the bleachers. Bless their hearts. More night games please!

Love, Ima

PS The new Devil brought his new attitude up into the stands among the crowd! Super! And the team went over to thank and celebrate with the students post game again. More super!

You're right! Surely Bill Murray, Eddie Cameron and Wallace Wade were looking down on today's game with big smiles.....

The heat and humidity were terrible, but our team's conditioning and hard work paid off right down to managing the clock at the end. How long has it been since a Duke football team managed the clock to their own advantage????

throatybeard
09-13-2008, 08:41 PM
You're right! Surely Bill Murray, Eddie Cameron and Wallace Wade were looking down on today's game with big smiles.....

The heat and humidity were terrible, but our team's conditioning and hard work paid off right down to managing the clock at the end. How long has it been since a Duke football team managed the clock to their own advantage????

Is Bill Murray dead? I thought he was living, at least when I left NC in 2004.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 08:56 PM

See the thread on the OTB. Oh, wrong Bill Murray;):o.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 08:59 PM
Now that I have a kid, nights are out until she's older. Late afternoon might be better, October games arent too bad for heat, but the sun is still an issue.

I wonder if Navy sailed home safely...

The students certainly wished them a safe voyage home with their variation on the "drive home safely" cheer:D.

I was disappointed however that the "abandon ship" cheer was not used also:(;).

Richard Berg
09-13-2008, 09:07 PM
I was thrilled to see this at the end of the game, and also on the drive that led to Surgan's kick. (Fortunately, Navy lined up in a prevent defense with 0:06 left and out of FG range, when strategy dictated that going for a short play made the most sense.)

However, let's not forget how poorly the penultimate possession of the 1st half went for us. Our drive barely took 20 seconds off the clock and allowed Navy to score. That can't happen in crunch times; I'm sure the coaches will review what went wrong.

OldPhiKap
09-13-2008, 09:30 PM
[Frank Bassett] must be up there smiling down on this. I bet he and Max Crowder are high fiving!!

Boy, hearing those names bring back memories!

I am sure Max has a big grin going.

TillyGalore
09-13-2008, 09:50 PM
During Duke's last drive I turned to devildeac and said that if Duke scored I would write on the board...

Devildeac is the greatest DBR poster ever!!!!

As most of you know, Duke did score.

devildeac
09-13-2008, 10:18 PM
During Duke's last drive I turned to devildeac and said that if Duke scored I would write on the board...

Devildeac is the greatest DBR poster ever!!!!

As most of you know, Duke did score.

:o:D

I also told Tilly that when they lined up for the FG attempt of 51 yards that Coach Cut publicly expressed confidence in Surgan several weeks/months ago because he was making FG of 50+ yards regularly in practice (and I was NOT weaufing/claiming he would be successful).

TillyGalore
09-13-2008, 10:22 PM
:o:D

I also told Tilly that when they lined up for the FG attempt of 51 yards that Coach Cut publicly expressed confidence in Surgan several weeks/months ago because he was making FG of 50+ yards regularly in practice (and I was NOT weaufing/claiming he would be successful).

To say Duke's kicking game as improved is an understatement. I am still amazed he kicked at 51 yard field goal.

CameronBornAndBred
09-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I see you got your new boyfriend's picture updated Tilly!

RelativeWays
09-13-2008, 10:27 PM
I thought it was 52

TillyGalore
09-13-2008, 10:29 PM
I see you got your new boyfriend's picture updated Tilly!

He's a keeper. Finally a guy you gets my passion for Duke. :D:D:D

RelativeWays
09-13-2008, 10:33 PM
He's a keeper. Finally a guy you gets my passion for Duke. :D:D:D

Be warned, He laughs a lot.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Coach Murray died in 1986. Here's a New York Times article with more information.http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9A0DE6D81F3FF932A05750C0A9609482 60

Jarhead
09-13-2008, 11:10 PM
Bob, I know you live in Yokosuka, and the sun comes up there a lot earlier that it does here, but how in the he11 did you know what the final score of the Duke-Navy game four days before the game was played? Maybe being a moderator make you prescient.

Acymetric
09-13-2008, 11:12 PM
I'd like to add (as I did after the last two games) that I was impressed by the band. I thought they sounded better today than the last two games. I talked to the guy next to me during halftime and he was impressed too. We both agreed that increasing size (1 tuba/sousaphone?) was a must, but keep up the good work band kids!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-13-2008, 11:16 PM
I'd like to add (as I did after the last two games) that I was impressed by the band. I thought they sounded better today than the last two games. I talked to the guy next to me during halftime and he was impressed too. We both agreed that increasing size (1 tuba/sousaphone?) was a must, but keep up the good work band kids!

Sitting next to an alumni sousaphone (well, he sat in Dr. Mabry's seat in the second half after he'd gone) he said the same thing. We talked to a couple of band members on the way out and they said there had been 2 sousa's, but one of them quit.

Richard Berg
09-13-2008, 11:27 PM
I go to the games with a fellow sousa alumnus. Seeing the lone tuba this year, we talked again about involving the alumni band more directly to improve the band's volume & presence. Nick has done great things, taking the DBAA (http://www.dukealumni.com) from nonexistant to a loud and frequent force at many holiday & "away" gigs that would otherwise go unplayed, but there's no overlap with the regular band events. We can do more.

Alumni probably shouldn't march on the field unless they can also attend the full suite of practices. But there's no reason to keep us out of the stands. I know Stanford allows band alums to play alongside them indefinitely as long as they keep in shape and pay for their own travel arrangements. [yes, I know, yet another Stanford comparison]

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 11:33 PM
The plight of the band program has been discussed before. The university's lack of interest and eventual neglect went on for a long time....improper storage of equipment, not allowing the band director to recruit incoming students, not allowing a band camp prior to the beginning of the fall semester have been problems for years.... but that has changed in the recent past. Jeff Au, the band director, is working hard to recruit and retain band members. This is the best year for the band in a long time.

Here's to our band! They are an important part of what happens at football games. What would the games be like without them? Can you imagine getting ready for the game without the sound of the drum line to get your blood pumping??

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-13-2008, 11:37 PM
I go to the games with a fellow sousa alumnus. Seeing the lone tuba this year, we talked again about involving the alumni band more directly to improve the band's volume & presence. Nick has done great things, taking the DBAA (http://www.dukealumni.com) from nonexistant to a loud and frequent force at many holiday & "away" gigs that would otherwise go unplayed, but there's no overlap with the regular band events. We can do more.

Alumni probably shouldn't march on the field unless they can also attend the full suite of practices. But there's no reason to keep us out of the stands. I know Stanford allows band alums to play alongside them indefinitely as long as they keep in shape and pay for their own travel arrangements. [yes, I know, yet another Stanford comparison]
When Homecoming takes place in Austin, Texas, there is an Alumni Band which plays, marches, etc. just like the current Show Band of the Southwest. When we play Carolina in November, our alumni band will be very important!

dukeballer2294
09-14-2008, 12:59 AM
Great job 2-1! Better record the Michigan and tied with Ohio St. When have we been able to say that after week 3?

Uncle Drew
09-14-2008, 07:33 AM
The plight of the band program has been discussed before. The university's lack of interest and eventual neglect went on for a long time....improper storage of equipment, not allowing the band director to recruit incoming students, not allowing a band camp prior to the beginning of the fall semester have been problems for years.... but that has changed in the recent past. Jeff Au, the band director, is working hard to recruit and retain band members. This is the best year for the band in a long time.

Here's to our band! They are an important part of what happens at football games. What would the games be like without them? Can you imagine getting ready for the game without the sound of the drum line to get your blood pumping??

One time at band camp.....nevermind. Really good to have a winning record after three games into the season and know without any doubt Duke will still have a winning record after the first four weeks. (Yes I AM that confident!) I found it funny to hear Coach Cut talking about keeping the players from being over confident after the game. It's probably a good week to have off, heal up any scratches and bruises and have an extra week to prepare for our first ACC foe. I think it's kind of obvious this team plays better in the second half of games. I don't know if that is due to figuring out the opposing team, coaching adjustments or what. It may bite them in the butts some game going down by three or more touchdowns at halftime. But I have to say it gives hope for the second half and this team seems to have a never say die attitude. GO DUKE!

Highlander
09-14-2008, 09:01 AM
I agree. Good time for an off week, since we're getting ready to start conference play and have 25% of the season under our belts. I'm a season ticket holder and this was the first game I've been able to attend. I definitely enjoyed watching what looked like a real football team for most of the game. There were some definite "Duke of old" moments like the muffed punt that gave Navy a TD, or the 60+ plays we gave up twice to Navy to let them back in a game we had control over. However, there were some great "Duke of today" moments like Surgan's 52 yard FG on a 2 minute drill, Riley's third TD where he was caught 4 yards from the end zone and carried/stretched his defender until he got there, and our last drive where we converted 3-4 first downs to keep the clock moving and forced Navy to burn all of their timeouts trying to stop the clock.

I brought my 4 year old son with me, and it was just too hot. We were pouring water on our heads through halftime, and he'd had enough by the end of the third quarter so we started the trek back to the cars. I did enjoy meeting CameronBornandBred, TillyGalore, TNTDevil, DevilDeac, Ozzie4Duke, CathyCA, CathyPA, AllenMurray, and everyone else at the tailgate. Ozzie scared my son a little with his GTHC cheer at the end, but the kid's gotta learn sooner or later.

Looking forward to UVA. Anyone know if it's a night game? Since it is youth day, I know they rescheduled the Caedmon's Call concert for that day, so I assume it's before the game.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2008, 10:28 AM
I agree. Good time for an off week, since we're getting ready to start conference play and have 25% of the season under our belts. I'm a season ticket holder and this was the first game I've been able to attend. I definitely enjoyed watching what looked like a real football team for most of the game. There were some definite "Duke of old" moments like the muffed punt that gave Navy a TD, or the 60+ plays we gave up twice to Navy to let them back in a game we had control over. However, there were some great "Duke of today" moments like Surgan's 52 yard FG on a 2 minute drill, Riley's third TD where he was caught 4 yards from the end zone and carried/stretched his defender until he got there, and our last drive where we converted 3-4 first downs to keep the clock moving and forced Navy to burn all of their timeouts trying to stop the clock.

I brought my 4 year old son with me, and it was just too hot. We were pouring water on our heads through halftime, and he'd had enough by the end of the third quarter so we started the trek back to the cars. I did enjoy meeting CameronBornandBred, TillyGalore, TNTDevil, DevilDeac, Ozzie4Duke, CathyCA, CathyPA, AllenMurray, and everyone else at the tailgate. Ozzie scared my son a little with his GTHC cheer at the end, but the kid's gotta learn sooner or later.

Looking forward to UVA. Anyone know if it's a night game? Since it is youth day, I know they rescheduled the Caedmon's Call concert for that day, so I assume it's before the game.

All announcements I've received about rescheduling Youth Day indicate that all of events are rescheduled to the Virginia game day. The kick off time will be announced about 10 +/- days ahead. so that question will probably be answered around mid week.

Go Duke!!!!! Beat the Wahvaliers!

OZZIE4DUKE
09-14-2008, 10:42 AM
All announcements I've received about rescheduling Youth Day indicate that all of events are rescheduled to the Virginia game day. The kick off time will be announced about 10 +/- days ahead. so that question will probably be answered around mid week.

Go Duke!!!!! Beat the Wahvaliers!

Think about that for a second. Youth groups from all over eastern NC are waiting to tell their bus providers, to say nothing of the kids and parents, what time they will be leaving to go to the game, concert and speakers. Will it be very early morning for a noon kickoff or mid afternoon for a 7 pm start? Quite a window of opportunity for potential attendees to cancel their plans (I realize this is rescheduled from last week due to TS Hanna, where the 7 pm game time was well publicized in advance). But I think the administration should tell the ACC what time the game will be, and if it fits television's schedule requirements and they want to televise it, great. If it doesn't, so be it. Chances are it won't be a television game anyway.

Wander
09-14-2008, 11:38 AM
We're going to be playing Navy again this year. Just watch...

devildeac
09-14-2008, 11:52 AM
A few other random thoughts after looking at the stats:

1. 3 penalties=12 yards. I think there was actually another one after a PAT when both teams were flagged for PF and they offset each other.
2. 42 yards/punt. Some one bemoaned the special teams. We pinned Navy deep in their own end twice, IIRC. One of those was at the 1 yard line. Wow!
3. 3rd down conversions: Navy was 4/13, but unfortunately, 2 of those were 68 and 78 yard plays for TDs. We got them to punt several times yesterday. Last year Navy had 0 punts. We got a lot of BIG 3rd down stops and one key 4th and 1 stop. Duke was 10/16 on 3rd down plays. Wow!

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2008, 12:16 PM
Another cool stat, Duke is leading the ACC in # of first downs. WOW.

Devil in the Blue Dress
09-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Another cool stat, Duke is leading the ACC in # of first downs. WOW.

Rip 'em up! Tear 'em up! Give 'em hell Duke!

Go Duke! Beat the Whavaliers!

RelativeWays
09-14-2008, 12:33 PM
Eron Riley got a helmet sticker award for his 3 TD performance against Navy yesterday on ESPN's College Football Final today. May not be much, but any positive national recognition is good for our program. ;)

Carlos
09-14-2008, 12:39 PM
But I think the administration should tell the ACC what time the game will be, and if it fits television's schedule requirements and they want to televise it, great. If it doesn't, so be it. Chances are it won't be a television game anyway.

Well, if it's not a television game then you can assume that it will be a 7 PM start. But if it is a television game you can assume it's a noon start.

As I said in another thread, there's no way Duke is in a position to tell anyone they won't accept a TV game. Any exposure is good exposure.

budwom
09-14-2008, 12:55 PM
As usual, the decision about gametime will be made on Monday, so people have 12 days to work on their plans.

Suggestion from someone who's used to sitting in the blazing sun on the East side of WW: in addition to using plenty of water and sunscreen, wear a BIG hat, the kind that has a very wide brim. Watching the camera scan the crowd yesterday, I was surprised a how many hatless fans we had. That's just suicidal in the September sun. Your dermatologist will thank you.

Indoor66
09-14-2008, 01:33 PM
As usual, the decision about gametime will be made on Monday, so people have 12 days to work on their plans.

Suggestion from someone who's used to sitting in the blazing sun on the East side of WW: in addition to using plenty of water and sunscreen, wear a BIG hat, the kind that has a very wide brim. Watching the camera scan the crowd yesterday, I was surprised a how many hatless fans we had. That's just suicidal in the September sun. Your dermatologist will thank you.

Good advice. Actually, you will thank you! As a many time subject to losing knife fights in my dermatologist's office (including Mohs cuttings), I can attest to the need for hats and sunscreen. Omit them at your peril. ;)

budwom
09-14-2008, 02:18 PM
I've had all those cuttings, too, Indoor. The hat REALLY helps...light colored being preferable (I think Cut will allow this, despite his desire for lots of blue).

devildeac
09-14-2008, 05:50 PM
Couple funny observations from WW yesterday:

1. I THINK the parachutists made it into the correct stadium.
2. Two of them had ARMY parachutes.

CameronBornAndBred
09-14-2008, 06:00 PM

Devildeac also pointed out they actually had a huddle on the last drive. That was the first one I noticed this year.

loran16
09-14-2008, 06:23 PM

Third little note, the first parachutist was dutch. :-P

loran16
09-14-2008, 06:29 PM
A few other random thoughts after looking at the stats:

1. 3 penalties=12 yards. I think there was actually another one after a PAT when both teams were flagged for PF and they offset each other.
2. 42 yards/punt. Some one bemoaned the special teams. We pinned Navy deep in their own end twice, IIRC. One of those was at the 1 yard line. Wow!
3. 3rd down conversions: Navy was 4/13, but unfortunately, 2 of those were 68 and 78 yard plays for TDs. We got them to punt several times yesterday. Last year Navy had 0 punts. We got a lot of BIG 3rd down stops and one key 4th and 1 stop. Duke was 10/16 on 3rd down plays. Wow!

Actually i think 2 of those penalty yards were the two offsides we committed on PATs. Yes we did it twice.

OZZIE4DUKE
09-14-2008, 07:13 PM
Actually i think 2 of those penalty yards were the two offsides we committed on PATs. Yes we did it twice.

Note that the defense was being ultra aggressive in trying to block the PATs. Cost us nothing to try as Navy still only went for 1 and not 2 (being 1.5 yards closer to the end zone) after both penalties.

Bob Green
09-14-2008, 09:22 PM
Bob, I know you live in Yokosuka, and the sun comes up there a lot earlier that it does here, but how in the he11 did you know what the final score of the Duke-Navy game four days before the game was played? Maybe being a moderator make you prescient.

If I was prescient, I would live in Las Vegas. Seriously, the title of this thread was changed multiple times.

devildeac
09-15-2008, 01:05 PM
One other comment I thought was great was also in the n&o, I think, when Coach Cut said he looked at his guys at half time and was pleased/happy to see "how fresh they looked." It certainly showed up in their 2nd half performance. Speaks well of the conditioning program now in place. IIRC, I think I read in the BDW (or perhaps in the n&o again) that at the end of a 2 hour practice last month, Coach lined them up and said it was time for "suicides" and this was not met with much delight by the team. His response was on the order of "we are going to do these, gentlemen, and I expect a lot more enthusiasm out here."

Jarhead
09-15-2008, 01:20 PM
I didn't notice the changes. I am disappointed that it wasn't a guess. When I noticed the 41-31 in the title with a 09-08-2008 date, I was ready to congratulate you.