PDA

View Full Version : ACC Football

A-Tex Devil
09-07-2008, 01:08 PM
Man, is ACC football in dire straits or what? You have Va Tech losing to ECU (who ends up being pretty good) and then struggling against Furman, Clemson getting embarassed, MD losing to MTSU, UVa and NC State struggling against D1AA opponents.

Of the two most impressive teams, one runs the fricking triple option, and the other has beaten the basement dwellars of two other BCS conferences, the second one at home on a last second fieldgoal.

I'm not sure any ACC team would have a winning record if it played in the SEC or Big 12 this year. Maybe Fla St is for real after that drupping of Western Carolina.

SupaDave
09-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Georgia Tech will be pretty decent this year. Wake is good. Florida State is poised for a resurgence. Virginia Tech will be fine but this will be a down year.

All in all though - we are BACK to being known as a basketball conference for sure.

As a matter of fact, you just gave me a thread idea...

Wander
09-08-2008, 01:26 PM
I'm thinking FSU is the best team in the conference now. Wake is a legit top 25 team and would have a winning record anywhere. After that, my guess is everyone is mediocre (VT, Clemson, GT, BC, Miami), absolutely terrible (Maryland, UVA, NC State), or somewhere in between (Duke, UNC).

The Big East might be even worse!

A-Tex Devil
09-08-2008, 02:07 PM
I'm thinking FSU is the best team in the conference now. Wake is a legit top 25 team and would have a winning record anywhere. After that, my guess is everyone is mediocre (VT, Clemson, GT, BC, Miami), absolutely terrible (Maryland, UVA, NC State), or somewhere in between (Duke, UNC).

The Big East might be even worse!

I think time will tell with Wake. If Ole Miss ends up being pretty good and winning 3-5 SEC games, then Saturday ends up being a bit of a hiccup and they are lucky to get out with a win. But drop Wake in the SEC West in Ole Miss' place, do you think they get 4 wins? Ole Miss was more or less their equal on Saturday. I'll be curious to see how improved the Rebels really are.

You are right about the Big East, though. If the ACC and Big East do not step it up in the next few years (no reason to think they won't, but I'm hypothesizing here), I could see the move to four 16 team superconferences once the ridiculous BCS experiment comes to an end and we finally get a playoff -- with a lot of ACC and Big East teams being left in the cold.

And as for categorizing the ACC, I'm not sure Duke and UNC have done anything to separate themselves from MD, UVA and NC State quite yet.

SupaDave
09-08-2008, 02:40 PM
And just because, wasn't FOOTBALL one of the reasons we let Miami IN? LOL! Gosh, they played well for like 45 seconds and then Florida brought the pain...

jimsumner
09-08-2008, 04:09 PM
Should have added East Carolina when we had the chance. :)