PDA

View Full Version : East Carolina 24, West Virginia 3

wilson
09-06-2008, 08:01 PM
I was cautiously optimistic that ECU could pull it off today, but they thoroughly spanked the Mountaineers and vaulted themselves into the at-large BCS conversation. They will have to run the table in order to get such a berth, but after having beaten VA Tech and WVU, they will presumably be favored in their remaining games (the Conference USA slate looms, along with a home game against NC State and a road tilt with UVA).

YARRRRRRRR.

rthomas
09-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I was cautiously optimistic that ECU could pull it off today, but they thoroughly spanked the Mountaineers and vaulted themselves into the at-large BCS conversation. They will have to run the table in order to get such a berth, but after having beaten VA Tech and WVU, they will presumably be favored in their remaining games (the Conference USA slate looms, along with a home game against NC State and a road tilt with UVA).

YARRRRRRRR.

YARR, indeed. ECU played great. We (WVU) played terrible. ECU was the better team. Our defense is young and if this is any indication it's going to be a long year. ECU's defense played awesome because we have a good offense but could do nothing. Congrats. Let's drink to that.

CameronBornAndBred
09-07-2008, 12:48 AM
I didn't get to listen to any of it. So what's the call, was ECU that much the better team, was WVU that bad, or was it a mix of both on the right day?

rthomas
09-07-2008, 08:38 AM
I didn't get to listen to any of it. So what's the call, was ECU that much the better team, was WVU that bad, or was it a mix of both on the right day?

Let's just say that ECU did just about anything they wanted on offense. And ECU's game plan to keep WVU on defense worked.

wilson
09-07-2008, 09:00 AM
ECU held Pat White under 100 yards both passing and rushing (he did have 169 total yards) on the day, and the Pirates' QB, Patrick Pinkney, is among the most efficient QBs in the country: 22-28 for 236 yds and a TD. There was no gimmick to the win; ECU simply punched WVU in the mouth and held them down all day.

rthomas
09-07-2008, 10:18 AM
ECU held Pat White under 100 yards both passing and rushing (he did have 169 total yards) on the day, and the Pirates' QB, Patrick Pinkney, is among the most efficient QBs in the country: 22-28 for 236 yds and a TD. There was no gimmick to the win; ECU simply punched WVU in the mouth and held them down all day.

Wilson,
What did you think about the call in the first quarter, was Pat white touching the ball and out of bounds? Was it a fumble or a blown call? One announcer said it should’ve been WVU ball, the other said only White’s hand was out of bounds, not the ball. In my opinion he was out of bounds and it was a bolown call and it waw a huge momenutm changer from which WVU never recovered.

In any case, I didn't understand why WVU's head coach call didn't call a time out or challenge it to get a better look?

wilson
09-07-2008, 12:50 PM
Wilson,
What did you think about the call in the first quarter, was Pat white touching the ball and out of bounds? Was it a fumble or a blown call? One announcer said it should’ve been WVU ball, the other said only White’s hand was out of bounds, not the ball. In my opinion he was out of bounds and it was a bolown call and it waw a huge momenutm changer from which WVU never recovered.

In any case, I didn't understand why WVU's head coach call didn't call a time out or challenge it to get a better look?

There were several replays on SportsCenter. It looked clear to me that the only thing down was the ball, which was in bounds. That means the fumble was the correct call. In any event, it was so early in the game that WVU could have (should have?) recovered.

pamtar
09-08-2008, 08:12 PM

YARRRRRRRR.

So they are legit. I'm glad they are finally living up to the hype. ;)

Seriously though, that is the fastest non-SEC team I've ever seen. They definitely have a chance at a BCS game - at worst a major bowl jump over a BCS conference #2. The only teams that might give them trouble are UCF, UVa, and yes, NCSU. This town is going nuts, which is good. Hope it continues (except Sept 20).

Nice picinyoursig by the way!